PDA

View Full Version : Pro sport team for Vancouver

Nutterbug
Sep 29, 2007, 11:36 AM
Which major league pro sport team do you want the most for Vancouver?

mr.x
Sep 29, 2007, 7:22 PM
MLS.....it also comes with a new stadium. :D

Canadian Mind
Sep 29, 2007, 8:06 PM
I want both Basketball and MLS.

Would be nice to get a baseball team too. I dunno about Vancouver, but the sport is mad popular out here, want we don't have much of a choice regarding teams to root for. The predicament being that Toronto is the only Canadian team, and you all know how much we love to hate Toronto.

Mike K.
Sep 29, 2007, 8:47 PM
I would not support an NFL franchise in Vancouver or BC. We have the Lions and need to get more Vancouverites (and BC-ers, for that matter) out to support BC's CFL team.

Pro soccer would be cool, though.

Nutterbug
Sep 29, 2007, 11:14 PM
Would be nice to get a baseball team too. I dunno about Vancouver, but the sport is mad popular out here, want we don't have much of a choice regarding teams to root for. The predicament being that Toronto is the only Canadian team, and you all know how much we love to hate Toronto.

Unless MLB gets some kind of salary leveling arrangement, I wouldn't want it. As it is, it'll just suck us of our money and give us little hope of a championship, while big market teams like the Yankees keep hogging them.

I'm surprised by all the support for soccer though. Since when did we become a European city?

Canadian Mind
Sep 29, 2007, 11:32 PM
I dunno. I'm white. I'm sure most of us in here are white, just under half of Vancouver's population is white, etc.

White = European decent.

Therefore Vancouver is at least 49% European. :)

Besides, whomever said soccer was European... It's basically the sport the entire world plays outside of North America and Asia.

PS. I prefer to call it football.

Nutterbug
Sep 29, 2007, 11:45 PM
Besides, whomever said soccer was European... It's basically the sport the entire world plays outside of North America and Asia.

North America being the key. I thought we had some sort of force field surrounding the continent preventing foreign cultural influences from penetrating our part of the world, be it trashy Europop music or the "beautiful" game.

Canadian Mind
Sep 29, 2007, 11:53 PM
Nothing Trashy about Euro-pop. :P ever listen to Lordi or Eiffel 65? I love european tunes. :D

Nutterbug
Sep 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
Rumour has it that Seattle's going to get an MLS team in 2009. It would be great to get a Vancouver-Seattle rivalry going.

Canadian Mind
Sep 30, 2007, 2:36 AM
That would be mad-crazy. XD

Would happen with any league teams I would think, which is why I would hope they would get an NHL team going on.

Nutterbug
Sep 30, 2007, 2:50 AM
Problem is, nobody would go to an NHL game there. Soccer's the most likely sport to get a rivalry going between the two cities.

Distill3d
Sep 30, 2007, 4:31 AM
i vote for the Whitecaps to move from the USL to the MLS once the stadium is built.

Vancouver had NBA...that failed...

NFL isn't gonna happen, we're just too close to Seattle.

EastVanMark
Sep 30, 2007, 7:34 AM
An MLS franchise would be great here given a traditionally strong soccer market we have been over the years. Not to mention the cheapest to run. An NBA team would be next as likely to work only if the team was operated by Orca Bay who could cross promote the team with the already strong established Canuck brand. Ditto for a NLL franchise which wasn't even mentioned.

MLB would have a tough go of it here because of lack of a major balllpark and based on our poor standing as a head office town, we would be lacking the corporate backing which is paramount to success in today's modern sports world.

To get an NFL team going here would cost between 1-1.5 billion dollars. Again lacking the corporate muscle to foot such an extravagant bill, the chance of a team ever landing in Vancouver is about slim and none.

westvan1
Oct 2, 2007, 5:30 PM
I voted MLS even though not particularly interested in soccer. However, it makes the most sense. Forget NFL and MLB - we're too small and also not enough corporate $ to share with the Canucks. The Grizzlies drew pretty good crowds (~14,000 ??) but i doubt they could have sustained that longterm.

Support the CFL and the Lions!!

And it would be good to get back AAA baseball rather than single A, although i think all the AAA teams in Canada have moved south.

leftside
Oct 2, 2007, 9:20 PM
It's basically the sport the entire world plays outside of North America :)

Distill3d
Oct 3, 2007, 2:07 AM
MLB, NFL, and i'm venturing to say NBA wouldn't survive here. as i said, we're too close to Seattle. maybe a couple exhibition games for the Sonics, Seahawks and Mariners here in town once a year would help...

raggedy13
Oct 3, 2007, 5:51 AM
I voted for MLS. I'm not a huge soccer fan at present but considering how popular it is worldwide I'm sure I could get into it, I just haven't had much exposure. Also with a new downtown soccer specific stadium, I'm sure quite good crowds could be drawn. I know I'd for sure go... though of course it would probably be mostly to see the stadium rather than the game but sports events are always good times anyways. As well, with Vancouver's already significant and ever-growing immigrant population, I'm sure there would be potential for a healthy fan base there considering the rest of the world's fascination with soccer.

Hot Rod
Oct 3, 2007, 10:07 AM
I voted for NBA but I could see MLS being most likely.

Oh, Seattle is losing the Sonics. So dont count Vancouver out, if we REALLY want a team - we could get the New Orleans team or one of the other fledgling ones.

Nutterbug
Oct 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
I voted for NBA but I could see MLS being most likely.

Oh, Seattle is losing the Sonics. So dont count Vancouver out, if we REALLY want a team - we could get the New Orleans team or one of the other fledgling ones.

Memphis? :haha:

Hot Rod
Oct 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
yeah, that would be JUSTICE.

Return the Grizz back where they belong!

Salmo
Oct 31, 2007, 5:27 PM
Vancouver should worry about getting an NHL team first!!!:notacrook:

mr.x
Nov 1, 2007, 2:50 AM

And you should be worried about getting banned.

:whip:

crazyjoeda
Nov 3, 2007, 5:55 PM
And you should be worried about getting banned.

:whip:

That is a pretty fascist statement. Do you really think he should be banned for saying something that you disagree with? Face it the Canucks suck, I barely consider them to be a NHL team considering how poorly they play.

Anyways... I would like to see a MLS team here. I think that they would have the best chance of surviving Vancouver's bandwagon fan base. Even the Canucks have few hardcore fans most people love the Canucks when they win and boo them when they don't. Thats why the Grizz left. Vancouver is a pretty big market; we just wont support a team that doesn't win.

deasine
Nov 3, 2007, 6:52 PM
That is a pretty fascist statement. Do you really think he should be banned for saying something that you disagree with? Face it the Canucks suck, I barely consider them to be a NHL team considering how poorly they play.

i think mr. x is only joking =.="

bbeliko
Nov 24, 2007, 5:46 PM
Even When i See The odds are with MLS, I would Love To have MLB in Vancouver

MistyMountainHop
Nov 25, 2007, 5:28 AM

This coming from a Calgarian ...

Would either of you like to retract your statements in shame now? :haha:

nomadder
Aug 1, 2008, 5:15 AM
A second CFL team in Surrey

mr.x
Aug 1, 2008, 5:20 AM

We have trouble filling BC Place as is and you want a second CFL team 45 minutes away?

A CFL team in Victoria is more logical.

Overground
Aug 1, 2008, 7:15 AM
I think if Vancouver gets an MLS franchise then the current USL-1 franchise would be great for Victoria. One of the oldest surviving sport clubs in North America, Victoria United FC (founded 1904) would be great for a team. They currently play in the PCSL, which is similar to Division 4, at Royal Athletic Park with a capacity of 5700.

NetMapel
Aug 1, 2008, 5:03 PM
I'd like a Vancouver to get both a MLS and MLB team... :) That should create some interesting rivalry between Vancouver and Seattle, haha.

sacrifice333
Aug 1, 2008, 5:09 PM
NBA's about the only sports team with a chance of survival in Vancouver (other than what we already have) and we all know that'd didn't work out too well last time. The problems probably started with the selection of Big Country.... lol.

Distill3d
Aug 1, 2008, 8:23 PM
We have trouble filling BC Place as is and you want a second CFL team 45 minutes away?

A CFL team in Victoria is more logical.

my vote for that would be Kelowna.

This coming from a Calgarian

at least my Flames know how to win a Stanley Cup...

mr.x
Aug 1, 2008, 9:06 PM
my vote for that would be Kelowna.

Not sure if they'd have enough population to support a franchise......the stadium would have to be pretty small, like 20,000 seats.

Nutterbug
Aug 1, 2008, 9:41 PM
NBA's about the only sports team with a chance of survival in Vancouver (other than what we already have) and we all know that'd didn't work out too well last time. The problems probably started with the selection of Big Country.... lol.

Why wouldn't MLS work? We're more worldly and soccer-oriented than many a heartland American city.

Distill3d
Aug 2, 2008, 12:55 AM
Not sure if they'd have enough population to support a franchise......the stadium would have to be pretty small, like 20,000 seats.

i'm sure the 350,000 people in the region spanning from Kamloops south to Osoyoos (which Kelowna is centrally located) is about even with that of Regina and Saskatoon combined, and they manage to support a team quite well.

Dalreg
Aug 2, 2008, 2:56 AM
i'm sure the 350,000 people in the region spanning from Kamloops south to Osoyoos (which Kelowna is centrally located) is about even with that of Regina and Saskatoon combined, and they manage to support a team quite well.

Apples and oranges here. Saskatchwan supports its team not just Saskatoon and Regina. Last I checked Saskatchewan had a bit more than 350,000 people.:rolleyes: Like maybe a million+.

Personally Vancouver/BC should support the MLS. It will be the only new pro team heading your way anytime soon.

Whalleyboy
Jan 14, 2009, 1:21 AM

if anything surrey should get its own WHL team instead
NHL would be asking to much

Distill3d
Jan 14, 2009, 2:10 AM
if anything surrey should get its own WHL team instead
NHL would be asking to much

does Surrey even have an arena capable of holding a WHL franchise??

Kodii
Jan 14, 2009, 2:17 AM

Abbotsford does :D

Except we're probably too close to Chilliwack to ever get one

jlousa
Jan 14, 2009, 2:43 AM
I heard a rumour just today that Abby is in the process of getting an AHL team, something about Quad city's team. I don't follow AHL at all so I don't know anymore then that.

Distill3d
Jan 14, 2009, 2:49 AM
jlousa, there is talk that the Flames will be moving their farm team from Quad City to Abbotsford for next season. As a Flames fan, that is a move I would support whole heartedly.

nickinacan
Jan 14, 2009, 2:52 AM

Nope, but they have a ton of space to build one. I think a place like Surrey could use a medium sized venue. Preferably around the City Centre.

Kodii
Jan 14, 2009, 3:08 AM
I heard a rumour just today that Abby is in the process of getting an AHL team, something about Quad city's team. I don't follow AHL at all so I don't know anymore then that.

Yes, and it is very exciting news. It was announced mid-December, but I have no idea how it is currently going. The latest articles suggested it was facing a lot of problems, but I cannot actually recall the exact words. If you want to read more about it from the Abby News, here is a link: http://www.bclocalnews.com/search/?curSection=%2Ffraser_valley%2Fabbynews&keywords=AHL&y=11&searchWSS=%2Ffraser_valley&x=19

I must say, having the Flames in the Lower Mainland sure is going to be interesting

Whalleyboy
Jan 14, 2009, 7:12 AM
Nope, but they have a ton of space to build one. I think a place like Surrey could use a medium sized venue. Preferably around the City Centre.

they should build one right the olympic building
in the tom binnie park area this way all sporting stuff could be in one area along one stretch of road...plus we could get rid of north surrey rec then lol

hollywoodnorth
Jan 14, 2009, 7:52 AM
ya the area looks great >> http://newera.abbotsford.ca/site6.aspx

any recent photos anyone?

Distill3d
Jan 14, 2009, 8:38 AM

i agree. something that seats between 5000 and 15000 would be ideal for Surrey.

Vancity
Jan 14, 2009, 9:01 AM
i agree. something that seats between 5000 and 15000 would be ideal for Surrey.

Vancouver could use a med-sized stadium like. ahem. ahem. whitecaps stadium. ahem.

how come other municipalities are lacking med-sized stadiums? most of the stadiums, if not mistaken, are all in the vancouver area, is that correct? richmond doesn't have any stadiums, nor does burnaby (well, unless you consider swanguard a stadium...), or coquitlam, etc.

can anyone list the stadiums in the city? on top of my head, i can think of:
- GM Place
- BC Place
- Pacific Coliseum
- Nat Bailey Stadium
- .....?
i'm pretty sure there isn't any stadiums in the other cities, correct? if i'm mistaken, someone please correct me. Thx!

Distill3d
Jan 14, 2009, 9:24 AM
stadiums holding 5000:

Swangard Stadium is in Burnaby.
Stetson Bowl is in Surrey
Percy Perry Stadium is in Coquitlam

Vancity
Jan 14, 2009, 9:35 AM
stadiums holding 5000:

Swangard Stadium is in Burnaby.
Stetson Bowl is in Surrey
Percy Perry Stadium is in Coquitlam

so there's no stadiums in the lower mainland that holds anywhere from 10,000 - 15,000? besides the above ones named?

boy, our stadiums really are out of date.

Distill3d
Jan 14, 2009, 9:39 AM
so there's no stadiums in the lower mainland that holds anywhere from 10,000 - 15,000? besides the above ones named?

boy, our stadiums really are out of date.

i agree. :yes:

we need more sports venues in the area that seat between 5000 - 15000 people. speaking in hockey sense, if such was the case, we could move the Vancouver Giants to play at a new arena in Surrey or Coquitlam and put an AHL team in the Pacific Coliseum. maybe Vancouver could even coax an NHL team to come play at GM Place

Whalleyboy
Jan 14, 2009, 3:44 PM
i think surrey should step up and build one
i mean if they want to make surrey a metro they should make something people want to go there for
and building a big arena in the main core area(or atleast down by scott road station) were people can easily get to it and then getting a WHL team would be a good thing to start
i mean best we got right now is south surrey eagles
and thats in south surrey....hell atleast i'd like to see them move them more towards the core

Vancity
Jan 14, 2009, 5:22 PM
i agree. :yes:

we need more sports venues in the area that seat between 5000 - 15000 people. speaking in hockey sense, if such was the case, we could move the Vancouver Giants to play at a new arena in Surrey or Coquitlam and put an AHL team in the Pacific Coliseum. maybe Vancouver could even coax an NHL team to come play at GM Place

I agree as well, that Vancouver needs more sports venue (in general). We have a lot of community centres ;) not sure if that qualifies, though. The Richmond Oval, when it opened up - I was impressed by the size of the building. It's pretty big, but after the 2010 Olympics are done, they're going to turn it into a community centre. That is going to be a huge community centre! Too bad they can't keep it as a speed skating oval, and hold international competitions there. That would've been neat.

I guess I understand why most of the buildings are in the Vancouver area, and thus most of the sports franchises are there as well. The population is there. Are you suggesting that Vancouver tries to coax another NHL franchise to come and share GM Place with the Canucks? hehe..wishful thinking. I'd love that, and I think maybe a lot of other Vancouverites would share the sentiment, but the NHL probably would say no :P Ah well, one can dream :)

What I don't understand is why the government doesn't build more stadiums, or at least upgrade the current ones that we have? In terms of sporting entertainment, our city (I think) doesn't do so well.

jlousa
Jan 14, 2009, 6:21 PM
I guess I'm the only one that thinks we don't need any more stadiums. I can think of thousands of better use for the money. The ones we have are nowhere near fully utilized, if a private business person wants to build one then thats fine, other then that lets use our taxmoney for other things.

Distill3d
Jan 14, 2009, 7:07 PM
I guess I'm the only one that thinks we don't need any more stadiums. I can think of thousands of better use for the money. The ones we have are nowhere near fully utilized, if a private business person wants to build one then thats fine, other then that lets use our taxmoney for other things.

i'm in agreement with you on that. private corporations should take the initiative and build a new arena in Surrey and a soccer stadium on the waterfront in Vancouver

Whalleyboy
Jan 14, 2009, 9:34 PM
i'm in agreement with you on that. private corporations should take the initiative and build a new arena in Surrey and a soccer stadium on the waterfront in Vancouver

scotia bank should do it since there here in surrey=P

Vancity
Jan 14, 2009, 9:38 PM

I think that's what Greg Kerfoot's been trying to do the past 6 years (or however many years it's been)?

I agree that the money can be used for better purposes. I'm just wondering why the stadiums we do have, aren't upgraded or expanded so that it is fully utilized, so that those stadiums can handle events, so that people can go to them. I just feel like Vancouver (Canada in general) lack world-class stadiums (i.e. Whitecaps Satdium on the Waterfront - although, I hear it's pretty much dead).

Distill3d
Jan 14, 2009, 10:59 PM
scotia bank should do it since there here in surrey=P

but ScotiaBank is everywhere, even Ottawa where they already have their name on an arena.

Whalleyboy
Jan 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
so i've been bored looking around things and noticed there is plans for a 5500 seat arena in surrey....only problem is its in cloverdale its part of the whole fairgrounds plans its suppost to be added with the 300 000 sq feet trade and exhibition center
http://www.civicsurrey.com/?p=22

wtf why do they make this plan for cloverdale when it doesnt even seem to be in the planed areas for a rapid transit

Vancity
Jan 15, 2009, 11:07 PM
so i've been bored looking around things and noticed there is plans for a 5500 seat arena in surrey....only problem is its in cloverdale its part of the whole fairgrounds plans its suppost to be added with the 300 000 sq feet trade and exhibition center

wtf why do they make this plan for cloverdale when it doesnt even seem to be in the planed areas for a rapid transit

hrrmmmm...:koko:

doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Distill3d
Jan 15, 2009, 11:12 PM

my assumption is that they're trying to keep all the venues in one area, which does make some sense from a development point of view. isn't Fraser Downs right near the fairgrounds?

Whalleyboy
Jan 16, 2009, 1:25 AM
my problem with the location is lack of rapid transit and its not planed for that area
although with them end the skytrain at 168 for 2020 atleast it give them chance that if that area grows enough with that they can replan and build out to cloverdale then langley for 2030 instead of straight to langley

i mean dont get me wrong it is smart to have it all in one location but i should be somewhere with rapid transit access or atleast a shorter bus ride from skytrain

Distill3d
Jan 16, 2009, 2:05 AM
i mean dont get me wrong it is smart to have it all in one location but i should be somewhere with rapid transit access or atleast a shorter bus ride from skytrain

i completely agree with you. i live in North Van and have my closest relatives living in the area and i don't visit them because of the lack of transit service in the area. it takes me somewhere in the 2 range to get to there.

surely something needs to be built closer. its not like downtown Surrey doesn't have the space for it. you could easily fit a 7500 seat arena between King George and 137 Street at 107A Avenue and 105A Avenue

Whalleyboy
Jan 16, 2009, 2:59 AM
bare min down by scottroad skytrain station where there so much huge open land areas
but my idea spot for the arena atleast would be right by gateway skytrain by tom binnie park right beside are Olympic building thing we are getting
right between 135 street and west whalley ring and 108 ave
it would be so perfect there cause then we'd have everything in that one area for spots plus it would be in the central core and extremely easy transit access

Rusty Gull
Jan 16, 2009, 4:31 AM
What about UBC? Unfortunately, the current Thunderbird Stadium is in a poor location. But a central location -- like next to the Student Union Building and the future terminus of the SkyTrain extension -- would be cool, and would make good sense.

Whalleyboy
Jan 16, 2009, 5:01 AM
i completely agree with you. i live in North Van and have my closest relatives living in the area and i don't visit them because of the lack of transit service in the area. it takes me somewhere in the 2 range to get to there.

surely something needs to be built closer. its not like downtown Surrey doesn't have the space for it. you could easily fit a 7500 seat arena between King George and 137 Street at 107A Avenue and 105A Avenue

i think you could fit way more then 7500 seat arena there try more along the lines of seating like bc place lol

google maps ruler it
the land there is like twice the length about just as wide as what bc place sits on

the spot i suggest is apparently same size lot as gm place size

Distill3d
Jan 16, 2009, 5:11 AM
i think you could fit way more then 7500 seat arena there lol

i was thinking on the lower end of the spectrum. i understand that there is enough land there to fit the MTS Center or GM Place.

Whalleyboy
Jan 16, 2009, 5:43 AM
okay i gotcha
i guess that wouldnt be such a bad spot either its is walking distance from skytrain

Distill3d
Jan 16, 2009, 5:59 AM
^its also about three blocks east of where the Lions practice

Kodii
Jan 16, 2009, 6:10 AM
What about UBC? Unfortunately, the current Thunderbird Stadium is in a poor location. But a central location -- like next to the Student Union Building and the future terminus of the SkyTrain extension -- would be cool, and would make good sense.
Probably because the current discussion is Surrey :haha:
But I agree that the Thunderbird Stadium is in a terrible location. In such a terrible location that campus residents rarely venture there themselves.

Whalleyboy
Jan 16, 2009, 7:40 AM
^its also about three blocks east of where the Lions practice

well my spots that i think would be good is closer then yours=P

Distill3d
Jan 16, 2009, 8:14 AM
Probably because the current discussion is Surrey :haha:
But I agree that the Thunderbird Stadium is in a terrible location. In such a terrible location that campus residents rarely venture there themselves.

LOL yeah that is true. Surrey can have its arena, it deserves it.

i do agree that Thunderbird Stadium is out dated and should be replaced with something closer to where the end of the SkyTrain is going to be.

while we're at it:

Burnaby could afford to build 7500 seat arena near the Riverway Sports Complex off Marine Way and Nelson Avenue. transit links could be built to Royal Oak and Metrotown Stations.

New Westminster could make the New Westmister Quay a more viable area if it were to obtain the air rights over the railway tracks and work with the Whitecaps for their Waterfront Stadium concept.

I wouldn't object if the city of North Vancouver tore down the Safeway and surrounding buildings at 13 Avenue and Lonsdale and built a 5000 seat arena. however, i know a few people that would. sadly, i could not think of anywhere better in my own area that would be suited for an arena or stadium.