PDA

View Full Version : The Hutchinson Metro Area

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dac150
Sep 27, 2007, 7:11 PM
Well, I wanted to make a new city being that I finished my weekly assignments and my classes are not until next Wednesday. Hutchinson got boring being to it was too big, so I've decided to make a smaller city to focus more on detail.

A little history.......

Chamberlin was founded in 1805 and established itself as your run of the go small American town. Chamberlin is located on the Southeast part of new Jersey, right on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. For the next 150 years, Chamberlin kept a low profile, with a population under 10,000. It wasn't until 1960 when the first talks of making Chamberlin a commercial hub were in order. At that time cities like Hutchinson, Staunton, and New York were gaining commercial power.
For the next 19 years, residents and zoning groups opposed to the idea set forth by towns government. By 1979, Citigroup (then known of Citicorp) wanted to house some offices in New Jersey. Once the fish took the bait, the city council fought with zoning groups to allow the construction of highrises in the town (now developing into a city). By 1980 the council won, and a 5 block area that was dubbed "Downtown Chamberlin", was ridded of small shops, homes, churches, and schools, to make way for what was to be a corporate hub.
By 1981 construction began on a 2 building complex named "The Chamberlin Business Center". It consisted of a 65 and a 62 floor building connected by an overpass. It housed commercial space, trading floors, retail, and a restaurant on the bottom floor of 1 CBC. Citigroup leased all of building 2 and got rights to have their logo plastered on the top of the building.
By the end of the decade, nearly 10 large office buildings made up Chamberlin's skyline. The population reached a record high of 200,000 residents.
In 1993 a highway was built to link Chamberlin with I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike, only leading to a bigger population of residents and businesses. With the real estate slump of the 90's at full force, not one highrise was constructed between the years 1990-1999.
Today the city is going strong with a current population of 450,000 and new highrises being constructed.

I will update frequently being that I have found a good routine in school to focus on work and the amount of free time I spend.

Visuals soon!:tup:

Austin55
Sep 27, 2007, 9:41 PM
will it have textures or other facede detail?

Aleks
Sep 27, 2007, 11:08 PM
Probably the best story for a city in all Cityscape. I love it. Sounds good!

I hope you use at least textures or make some kind of floor plans like in my city.

Dac150
Sep 28, 2007, 8:10 PM
Nope, the city will have white buildings, but the city will be more detailed. I feel by detailing the city will prompt me to stay with it longer.

Expect a visual update later today.

Dac150
Sep 28, 2007, 8:33 PM
Here is just a quick pic of Chamberlin's Central Business District/Financial District. Later tonight I will get more into detail with the individual buildings.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6241/lookzn9.jpg

What do you think?

treras93
Sep 28, 2007, 9:02 PM
i like it all but this building especially :tup:

Aleks
Sep 28, 2007, 10:33 PM
What building?

What I think you should do is make the city smaller with textures. Because you might be using the same amount of memory with a big city and a small textured city.

Get what I'm saying?

Dac150
Sep 28, 2007, 11:00 PM
Yes, but I like making man-made detail as oppose to using textures. I feel its more fun. Anyway, here is another pic. This will follow by more information on individual buildings later.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6767/mornqk7.jpg

More to come soon.

Aleks
Sep 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
Well why don't you do the same thing I do. Make your own floors and everything. I can teach you if you want to learn. There's an easy way to do it.

Dac150
Sep 28, 2007, 11:37 PM
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll stick with this way for now. When Thanksgiving break comes around I'll take up your offer if your still willing.

Dac150
Sep 29, 2007, 1:04 AM
This will give you an idea of what makes up the skyline and who is occupying it. I highly suggest you read this to understand the city more!

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/9913/indexqe4.jpg

Name: One Atlantic Plaza
Floors: 70
Built: 1985
Tenants: Franklin Templeton Financial, Ameriprise Financial, Solomon Equities, Law offices of Jacob Deustche, Harper Investments Inc, The Northeastern Development Corporation, GHI Healthcare, TTS Systems, Madison Investments Inc.
-Tallest building in Chamberlin
-Holds retail and a restaurant on the bottom floor
-3 floor atrium lobby

Name: One Chamberlin Business Center
Floors: 65
Built: 1982
Tenants: TRI Financial, TRI Shipping, TRI Investments, Castleton Financial, Solomon Smith Barney.
-The most "popular" building in Chamberlin (voted by residents)
-Houses a Helipad on the roof
-Connected to 2 CBC by an overpass
-Home to the famous 5 star restaurant "Cosmo's"

Name: Two Chamberlin Business Center
Floors: 62
Built: 1982
Tenant: Citigroup
-Holds all the complex's trading and conference space
-Has the Citigroup red umbrella logo ontop

Name: The Maserk Building
Floors: 60
Built: 1989
Tenant: Maserk Shipping Corporation
-Maserk proposed a Maserk shipping port for Chamberlin, but it was thrown out due to local NIMBY groups
-The North American HQ of Maserk
-Holds an underground retail concourse

Name: Centennial Place
Built: 1988
Floors: 55
Tenants: New Jersey State Federal Offices, Chamberlin Department of Transportation, Chamberlin Department of Commerce, Multiple Law offices.
-Deal was made by the developer with the State of NJ to house State offices. Known of the cities "Federal Building".
-Attracted many law firms which make up 40% of the leaseable space
-Bomb threat took place in 1988 when the Governor of NJ came to visit the new building (being that it houses state federal offices). Since then, the lobby is now closed to the public and only accessbile to workers to get to their offices.
-Sub level entrance from the street allows public to enter the underground retail concourse that is linked with the Maserk Building.

Name: The Chamberlin Financial Center
Floors: Building 1: 60
Building 2: 60
Building 3: 30
Building 4: 30
Building 5: 25
Built: 1989
Tenants: Merril Lynch, American Express, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Prudentcial Financial, HSBC Bank, Multiple Investment firms and small financial companies.
-Merril Lynch leased out all of building 1
-Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley leased 50% each of building 2
-HSBC Bank, American Express, and a dozen Investment firms make up Building 3
-Prudential Financial leased out 90% of Building 4, and a small financial company leased out 10%
-Building 5 is a J.W. Marriot Hotel (which is an atrium style hotel)
-Two overpasses connect the main center to buildings 4 & 5 across Atlantic Avenue (one of them has a ceiling height of 2 floors)
-Has trading floors in all the buildings (except 5)
-Has a waterfront plaza open to the public that lines the perimeter of buildings 1-3. They are lined with retail.
-The complex is class A (as well as every office building in the city) and was named by Fortune Magazine, the most High-end office building(s) in the North-east when it opened
-Its known for its extravagent marble, limestone, and granite lobbies.
-Only "Twin" concept buildings in the city
-Compared to 3 WFC and Canary Wharf

Name: The Signature Residences
Floors: 40
Built: 2002
-First residential highrise in Chamberlin
-Base houses 4 restaurants, high-end retail, and public plaza
-Most expensive penthouse sold for 20 million in 2003. It was bought by the CEO of TRI Shipping to serve as his main residence. He also has a 18,000 sqft home in Princeton NJ.

Name: The Westin Hotel
Floors: 35
Built: 2005
-4 Star rating
-Has a large conference center
-Has an underground parking garage

Name: 1 Ocean Place
Floors:40
Built: 2007
-Regional HQ of Unilever
-Large podium consists of Trading floors, Conference Space, and a 2 floor lobby which features a 2 story fountain
-LEED certified green building (1st in the city)

Enjoy, and please leave a comment!:tup:

Aleks
Sep 29, 2007, 1:19 AM
So many facts! So little brain cells to use!

I love 1 Ocean Plaza, it's the best tower I.M.O. I love how you also make complexes' but you don't just make all the towers too similar.

Oh, O.M.G. the tallest tower has 70 floors!! I expect it to be under 1,000 floors because in 1985 the floor pitch was probably lower than 12 feet. Heck I think 12 feet was a lot back then, but since the building has a pyramid it might get a boost in height.

Dac150
Sep 29, 2007, 1:33 AM
I wanted to make this a realistic city. Nothing too crazy in building height, but tall and large enough to make a statement.

Mocholate
Sep 29, 2007, 1:51 AM
good work
my fav is The Maserk Building

Aleks
Sep 29, 2007, 2:08 AM
woops I wrote 1,000 floors instead of 1,000 feet.
Is there a specific height to the tower?

Dac150
Sep 29, 2007, 2:19 AM
I estimate it at 1,000ft

Aleks
Sep 29, 2007, 2:31 AM
You don't measure the heights?

The Signature Residences are nice. I think it need details. Also I think you should paint the grass areas not texture them because it looks like seaweed.

foxmtbr
Sep 29, 2007, 3:11 AM
I love the financial center, and everything looks really great! I definitely think you are really onto something with this city. :tup:

Austin55
Sep 29, 2007, 4:54 AM
Im not ripping you!! Im just wanted to say that finding what you based your towers of of is so much fun:)

but wow,I cant see this being a full scale skyline,which is the point.but,1000 feet! they berly look above 700 feet.

Please,I thing you should use colors on your towers.Im weird,but I think Texturing the towers is the most fun,and you can easily turn the textueres of. Have you eve tried textures lately? thats how you learn new things,trying new things.just pplease,try!!if not,use colors atleast,otherwise things like that sighn stand out.

I Love I love it I love it!!!!

Dac150
Sep 29, 2007, 2:47 PM
Towers that I based of of real life ones:
1. Maserk Building: Oil & Gas Company Building in Los Angeles
2. Chamberlin Financial Center: Canary Wharf in London, WFC in New York

and thats about it to my knowledge.

Thank you for the comments Alek, Mo, Austin, & Fox

Dac150
Sep 29, 2007, 11:01 PM
TRI to Build a new Compund in Chamberlin?

Harold Novus
(Reuters)- Along with Galcorp, TRI is considered one of the largest corporate entities on the planet. With branches in shipping, finances, consulting, and investments, TRI needs room to house its multiple businesses. Hutchinson has served TRI's needs since 1960 when TRI made their Global Headquarters there. However the company is getting larger and space is tight in Hutchinson, so Chamberlin has been named a candidate for TRI's new Global HQ.
When word got out that TRI was planning to move out of Hutchinson, many cities started to sell themselves to convince the company that their city is right for them. The acting CEO of TRI stated,"We need a city that can hold our large requirements for office space. Cities like New York, L.A, Chicago, Staunton, etc.. are too tight. We need a practical location. Hutchinson has been good to us, but it's time to move on."
Right now there is no definite confirmation that Chamberlin will be the next capitol of the TRI Empire, but its a strong candidate.
TRI currently has a division of it's shipping, financial, and investment branches in 1 CBC.

Aleks
Sep 30, 2007, 3:14 AM
Nice. Hope it gets done. Big companies mean big bucks ALL the time but it also means more traffic, people, blah blah blah......

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 3:17 PM
Same deal as the last update:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1496/in1wy7.jpg

1. Bob's Stores
2. Target & Wal Mart
3. Best Buy
4. Costco & Shopping plaza

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 3:18 PM
Imageshack is having some problems, so I'll see how it is later.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 3:34 PM
Could North Chamberlin see some new Highrises?

George Collins
(Reuters)- The 80's were when the last skyscraper boom (and first) hit Chamberlin and molded it into a city. In recent months many companies both small and large have expressed interest into moving divisions into the city. However, space is all leased out.

Chamberlin is answering the knock at the door with talks of more business centers to be built in North Chamberlin. The difficulty comes from the fact that resdiences, two schools, and a medical clinic currently occupy the space. Mayor Richard Bloomfield had this to say,"Of course it's unfortunate. Its a very delicate matter in which many emotions come out. I along with the city council are trying to do whats best for the city. By large corproations moving in will cause an economic incline for sure. To turn them down will be a slap in the face to our city."

Now the current population of Chamberlin is 500,000 people. 90% of those residents live in Eastern, Western, and Southern Chamberlin. 5% live in the North, and 5% live in the City Center.

Companies that have showed interest in moving branches to Chamberlin are: Fidelity Investments, Ernst & Young, AT&T, AXA Financial, Colonial Penn, Visa, Coldwell Banker, Sotheby's, TRI, Delta Airlines, Genworth Financial, Bank of America, PNC Bank, Random House, and AIG.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 5:28 PM
Don't know whats up with imageshack. It's annoying because i have a lot of updates.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 5:40 PM
Got it to work:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9985/in2ge1.jpg

5. Hampton Inn
6. Verizon Telecom Hotel
-A new one is currently under construction along with a Verizon office building
-This telecom hotel can no longer provide for the city due to its size
-It will be demolished when the new one is built, but what will take its place has yet to be determined
7. 100 Emerson Street
-Originally was planned to be the cities tallest at 90 floors. Construction stooped in 1991 due to real estate slump.
-Column and core outlines are still visible
-Tenants include: Philips, People's Bank, & Harper Collins Publishing
8. Dow Chemicals
- Holds a Dow Chemcials (Chemical facility)

Leave comments and suggestions.:tup: More later.

Aleks
Sep 30, 2007, 5:43 PM
Use Photobucket.

Why doesn't the city just a make a mixed use highrise tower with 2 schools, a clinic, and residences. Or it's cheaper to just make a complex because you don't waste much time making different designs.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 5:49 PM
Use Photobucket.

Why doesn't the city just a make a mixed use highrise tower with 2 schools, a clinic, and residences. Or it's cheaper to just make a complex because you don't waste much time making different designs.

Its a possibilty. And thanks for that other photo place.

Austin55
Sep 30, 2007, 6:01 PM
I like no.6,the verizon one the best. though it wont work with lines turned of. why dont you just combine this with Hutch? just make it on big district?itll take some work,but thats the point.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 6:01 PM
It's a marathon!

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5482/in3gs1.jpg

9. The Grand Hyatt
-Atrium style hotel
-Built: 2000
10. 1515 Chamberlin Avenue
-Tenants include CBS and NBC
-Both station's logos are ontop of the building
-Built: 1989
11. Westfield Shopping Center
-Built: 2002
-Neighbors include another shopping building, The "blu' night club, and the "Underground" night club
12. 1818 Chamberlin Avenue
-Built: 1980
-The city's first highrise
-Tenants include: Georgia Pacific, Staples Corporate Offices, Century 21, Midland Shipping, hp, Freightliner, & Phizer.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 6:03 PM
Austin- Hutchinson is about 20 minutes from Chamberlin, so it wouldn't really work. Good suggestion though.

Austin55
Sep 30, 2007, 6:06 PM
hey,thatd be cool,like an entire area. Like Dallas-Fort Worth. It would be massive.as I mentioned before,those towers dont look 1000 feet. Is the city realisticly scaled? you could just use the tape measure.:yes: are you going to try coloring it?

But I like?

edit,But I like!

Aleks
Sep 30, 2007, 6:53 PM
hmm... I like the one tower with the helipad. What's it called?
You could color the streets or some towers. I think some of the towers are a little too fat that's why they don't looks tall. It's best if they stay between 100-200 feet wide/thick.

You should do some street shots! That makes buildings look taller and focuses on a building you want to show more.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 7:09 PM
Yeah the buildings are quite thick, but I like to compare them with the the Metlife Building in NYC, thick but tall. They are all in proportion.

Alek-The building with the heilpad will be mentioned later today being that it is in an update.

Austin- Yeah it could be a Dallas-Fort Worth type setting, but the only problem is that Hutchinson and Chamberlin are in two seperate states. (If you think the buildings I have shown you in todays updates are 1000ft, then I see your confusion.)

Here is a height map to show you the proportions:
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5452/heightvu3.jpg

Hopefully that helps.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 7:10 PM
Austin- Maybe with the colors.
Alek- I will have some street shots.

Aleks
Sep 30, 2007, 7:26 PM
O.K. Maybe it's going to be in a later update but I can't wait.

What are those 2 towers next to the river with the slanted roofs? The shape is awesome. I would imagine them being residential. with details those towers would look so good. Good job those are my favorite buildings in your city....

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 7:34 PM
Yes, they are residential buildings. Two twins, each 600ft and 40 floors. I will get more in depth with them later.

Dac150
Sep 30, 2007, 9:54 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/482/in4ao3.jpg

13. Chamberlin Police Dept. HQ
Built:1980
14. Chamberlin City Hall
Built:1982
-Built on the grounds of the former city hall
-An expansion was done back in 2000 along with a renovation
-Helipad was added in 2005
15. The Chamberlin Federal Building
Built:1986
-Holds offices for the CIA, FBI, US Marshalls, & ATF
-Vehicle entrance is gated
16. The Chamberlin City Courthouse
Built:1983
-Made to look like it was built in the early 20th Century
17. Riverside Park
-Built:1899 - Expanded:1980

Austin55
Sep 30, 2007, 10:05 PM
looks very governmental.

Patrick
Oct 1, 2007, 6:34 AM
Wow this is one awsome city, already better than Hutchinson :) Much more creative and full of detail! I see you like the Gas Company Tower, good to see more people appriciating LA's sexy towers. :yes: My favorite is the One Chamberlin Business Center, its a design I've never seen before, great effort. Although I like all the towers, very realalalistic depiction, I can picture Chamberlin in real life very easily.

How close is Chamberlin to Staunton? It would be cool to have both cities in proximity of each other :D

Dac150
Oct 1, 2007, 7:10 PM
Wow this is one awsome city, already better than Hutchinson :) Much more creative and full of detail! I see you like the Gas Company Tower, good to see more people appriciating LA's sexy towers. :yes: My favorite is the One Chamberlin Business Center, its a design I've never seen before, great effort. Although I like all the towers, very realalalistic depiction, I can picture Chamberlin in real life very easily.

How close is Chamberlin to Staunton? It would be cool to have both cities in proximity of each other :D

-I agree, L.A. Towers go very un-noticed, yet they are some of the finest examples of glass buildings anywhere in the world.
-Chamberlin is in Southern New Jersey boardering the Atlantic Ocean and Delaware. Chamberlin is about 20 minutes from Hutchinson, but I can move it further up north. That would be cool to have it close to Staunton. What do you think?
-1 CBC was the first building I made in the city and is still my favorite. I originally just went on sketch-up to make a building, and I liked 1 CBC so much, I decided to make a city.

Thanks for the comment.:tup:

Aleks
Oct 1, 2007, 10:32 PM
O my gosh! 1CBC looks just like one I designed but taller.

The one I have is a "sky city" type building. This one is just office right?

Dac150
Oct 1, 2007, 10:36 PM
These are just various shots for the city:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5885/patys5.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6480/oversl4.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5013/nightwl2.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/739/mornfx9.jpg

I'll post some more later. Leave comments and suggestions.:tup:

Dac150
Oct 1, 2007, 10:39 PM
O my gosh! 1CBC looks just like one I designed but taller.

The one I have is a "sky city" type building. This one is just office right?

-Yup, 1 CBC is on the Building Information post on the first page. Anytime you have a question about a building, you could probably find the answer there.
-Both of the CBC buildings are office. They are connected by an overpass on the bottom. 1 CBC has a 5 star restaurant on the bottom floor.

Look at the 2nd pic I posted above, thats the CBC Complex.

Austin55
Oct 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
wow,slow down! I am so losing track of all these updates! you dont have to post 3 updates every day:haha: But it looks nice.:cool: That last roud of pics was nice,maybe more(but not right now:) )

Dac150
Oct 2, 2007, 12:05 AM
TRI Backs out of Chamberlin Move.

Doug Meaks (CNN)- This afternoon, President, Chairman, and leading CEO of TRI Inc. Global: (Franklin Ashcroft) stated to the press that TRI will not be making Chamberlin the new capital of the their empire. The news came as an upsetment to the Mayor of Chamberlin: Richard Gears.
TRI has decided to stay in Hutchinson, but move and build their new Global HQ on St. Marks Island. The deal was made bwtween the City of Hutchinson and TRI late last night. The structures on the 2nd hald of the island will be leveled to make way for the 5 building, 14 million sqaure feet complex. One the other half of the island is the Hutchinson Hornets Football Stadium (which will stay).
A new bridge is also said to be built with more lanes to handle the expected high traffic flow.
TRI has stated that they will relocate all their offices in Hutchinson to the new compund on St. Marks Island. TRI also stated that 75% of their employees in Chamberlin will be moving to the new compund as well when finished (expected in 2015).
Though this has come to a huge blow to Chamberlin, the open space from the TRI clearout of 1 CBC will allow room for new companies. TRI will be keeping 25% of their Chamberlin Division employees where they are now. The TRI offices in Boston, Philadelphia, New York, and Staunton will remain the same.
TRI has branches in shipping, investments, finances, and is exploring new branches in oil and banking. The CFO od TRI Global stated,"This was a big win for the company. We were able to secure ourselves in a good location in a city that has been good to us and that we are comfortable in. Keeping our global HQ here in the Hutch has relieved much stress off the back's of the board. At the end of the day we felt relocating over the St. Marks Bridge was an easier move than moving many miles in the other direction. Luckily for us the city saw that as well."
The conglomerate has locations in 200 cities worldwide.

Dac150
Oct 2, 2007, 9:27 PM
I'll post an update tomorrow. Too busy today.

Patrick
Oct 3, 2007, 12:32 AM
OOH! I love how One Chamberlin Business Center ends that road, man I really love Chamberlin.

You can keep Chamberlin where you want, but Staunton is in upstate New Jersey harboring New York City.

Dac150
Oct 3, 2007, 4:32 PM
OOH! I love how One Chamberlin Business Center ends that road, man I really love Chamberlin.

You can keep Chamberlin where you want, but Staunton is in upstate New Jersey harboring New York City.

I'll keep Chamberlin in Southern NJ harboring Hutchinson.

Dac150
Oct 3, 2007, 4:55 PM
Just some more building information:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1859/in5hd3.jpg
:previous:
1. The Chamberlin Hilton, built in 1987.
2. Above is a pic of the Chamberlin Covention Center that was built in 1993. Because of the real estate slump of the 90's, the city's budget for the Convention Center was low being that no profit was generated from businesses renting space in the city. In 2000 Chamberlin rebounded and completed the Convention Center as well as renovated the already built portion.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5355/in6ks8.jpg
:previous:
1. St. Peters Memorial Hospital, built in 1979.
2. St. Peters Roman Catholic Church, built in 1895.
3. Name: 1313 Federal Avenue
Tenants: BMW motors & Colonial Penn Insurance
Built: 2004
- BMW owns 80% of the building allowing them logo rights.
4. Chamberlin Square: was made in 1979 as part of the Dowtown Chamberlin revitalization plan regarding the street grid. (The only building that was not demolished in that 5 block area was St. Peters Church. Not counting the church, the hospital is the oldest building in the Chamberlin City Center being built in 1979).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some city pics:
http://img515.imagesgack.us/img515/8132/lookde0.jpg
Below: Looking down the Chamberlin Avenue Corridor. >>>>>>>>>
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2913/downbj2.jpg

Thats all for now. Please leave comments and suggestions. :yes:
Enjoy!:tup:

Patrick
Oct 4, 2007, 3:36 AM
PLEASE slow down I dont want you to run out of ideas too quickly! I really like Chamberlin :( I love the detail on the church (two different spires)

Dac150
Oct 4, 2007, 7:54 PM
Nothing new today, just some various shots of the city. I'll have a nice update tomorrow afternoon.

The Heart of the Downtown:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6415/82941167ok2.jpg

Looking down Atlantic Avenue from the Central Business District:
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8538/libt4.jpg

Atlantic Avenue infront of the CFC. The large skybridge in view.
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5748/finsb3.jpg

Chamberlin Square:
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6002/liizx4.jpg

Downtown from overhead:
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3613/liiiab9.jpg

That's all for today. Please leave comments and suggestions. I want some more feedback to improve the city.:tup:

Dac150
Oct 4, 2007, 7:56 PM
PLEASE slow down I dont want you to run out of ideas too quickly! I really like Chamberlin :( I love the detail on the church (two different spires)

:haha: I'm not trying to go fast. Believe it or not, all the combined time spent on Chamberlin is equal to only 2 hours. Next week is busy for me, so updates won't be as frequent.

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 12:07 AM
Hmmm.....no comments and all those pics. :(

Anyway, here is an update of the Central Business District of Chamberlin. Just a couple of projects I will show you today, the rest tomorrow.

This first pic is one of the new Verizon compund. It was completed last month (September 2007) after a 3 year construction. The compund is made up of 2 buildings. The taller one is Chamberlin's new Telecom Hotel built to better handle the cities demands. The shorter building is a office building leased out 100% buy Verizon Communications.
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3705/verxd4.jpg

This next two building complex was also completed in the summer of 2007 (July) all part of the revitalization of the Central Business District. It is entitled the Chamberlin Banking Plaza. The tenants include: Bank of America, PNC Bank, UBS, US Bank, Washingtion Mutual, and the Savings Bank of Chamberlin. Building 1 has 65 floors (990ft) and building 2 has 64 floors (900ft).
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8629/verrcv7.jpg

That is all for today. Don't be shy with the comments, they are appreciated. Tell me what you like, don't like, suggestions, etc.....:tup:

Aleks
Oct 6, 2007, 12:24 AM
Well, I like updates but not just city shots unless some-one asks. Sorry I think I was used to that that's why I didn't post any thing.

See I really like the Verizon Building which has so much detail than some other towers. Great job, really nice.:tup:

Wait, are the CBP towers 900 feet to the spire or to the roof?

And, I think you should make more modern designs so it looks more realistic. A real city has real old buildings with real glass modern buildings.

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 12:30 AM
Wait, are the CBP towers 900 feet to the spire or to the roof?
And, I think you should make more modern designs so it looks more realistic. A real city has real old buildings with real glass modern buildings.

They are 900ft to to the roof. 1 CBP is 990ft to the spire.
What buildings are not realistic?

Tanster
Oct 6, 2007, 12:49 AM
I noticed one of your buildings looks like the Gas company tower in los angeles nice . you got some really good buildings.
When are you going to texture them??

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 12:53 AM
I noticed one of your buildings looks like the Gas company tower in los angeles nice . you got some really good buildings.
When are you going to texture them??

Yeah, the Gas Company based tower is the Maersk Building (Northeasthern HQ of the Maersk Shipping Corporation).

I'm not texturing the city.

Aleks
Oct 6, 2007, 12:54 AM
They are all realistic but I mean you should add some other type of structures other than Art Deco etc...

Some modern towers would be nice, I don't mean like 80's but new new looking. Like the twin residential towers by the water. Those are nice. Just mix the old with the new. Oh, new towers are turning skinny-er and skinny-er every day so it might be good to make a skinny tall tower. Like the Trump Residential in N.Y.

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 1:01 AM
The CBP is not art deco. It's like (if it were textured) a WFC (in NYC) stone and glass combination style building(s). It's hard to tell though because after all, they are not textured.

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 1:38 AM
What's in store for the old Telecom Hotel?

George Simmons
(Chamberlin Current)- With the completion of the new Verizon Telecom Hotel, Verizon stated that the former one is no longer needed. The new Telecom Hotel was completed in September of this year to handle the cities 21st Century demands. The former powerhouse was built in 1979 to hold all telecommunication needs for the uprising Chamberlin Downtown. As the population of Chamberlin increased, so did the amount of businesses. And new more businesses equal more highrises.
With the old Telecom hub no longer needed, Verizon is selling the building and site to either a developer or the City of Chamberlin. The options of what can go there are endless. The building could be renovated into condos, new offices, or demolished to make way for a new structure.
Either way it's sliced though, the renovation and or demolition of the old Telecom Hotel will be a long process being that there is delicate eqiupment within the confines of the structure that could potentially be harmful to the enviroment. Not to mention there is 1970's asbestos products that hold the building together.

Below: The former Verizon Telecom Hotel as it stands today.
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3286/verug2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick
Oct 6, 2007, 6:04 AM
I envy Chamberlin so much, that overview shot just blew me away, its what I pictured the Staunton Suburbs to look like (Office Parks, freeways, mini skyline) really amazingg jobb.

Austin55
Oct 6, 2007, 6:18 AM
how did I miss this!

very nice.I like the old verizon building. Echo Is sending money for absbestos removal:haha: not really.

I think you should color the towers. the little things textured are very cartoony.

AAMMAAZZIINNGG!!.:tup:

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 6:53 PM
I envy Chamberlin so much, that overview shot just blew me away, its what I pictured the Staunton Suburbs to look like (Office Parks, freeways, mini skyline) really amazingg jobb.

Thank you Patrick.:tup:

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 6:55 PM
how did I miss this!

very nice.I like the old verizon building. Echo Is sending money for absbestos removal:haha: not really.

I think you should color the towers. the little things textured are very cartoony.

AAMMAAZZIINNGG!!.:tup:

The only probelm with coloring the towers is that you simply run out of colors. You can only have so many black and gray buildings.

I like the old Verizon too, will see what happens with it.:tup:

Aleks
Oct 6, 2007, 7:30 PM
Well if it's taller then it's better.

CBP would look so nice with textures! So CBP is like Post Modern Architecture right?

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 8:19 PM
So CBP is like Post Modern Architecture right?

Exactly.:tup:

Dac150
Oct 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
Same deal. More building information. Enjoy!:tup:

The Chamberlin Stock Exchange: In 2000 there were talks of establishing a stock exchange for the city being that there was a continuous growth in population of businesses. In 2002 the city approved the idea, and construction began. The building is a post modern style with a little neo-classic and modernism thrown in. Today 95% of the corporations housed in the city take part in the stock trading along with othe national and international companies. It was completed in 2005.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6921/stki0.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8808/bldgrg3.jpg

1. Name:1282 Federal Avenue
Built:1980
Floors: 50
-First skyscraper and office building built in the Central Business Distirct.
-Tenants include:The Chamberlin Current, Wentworth Financial, AXA Financial, AXA Equitable, ING, hp, Pitney Bowes, Proctor & Gamble, ExxonMobile, Sears Corporate, and various small companies.
-Only International Glass Box building in the city.
-Large pillars at the bottom of the building act as structural support and cosmetics.

2. Name: The Chamberlin Stock Exchange Tower
Built:2005
Floors: 55
-Built inpart with the Chamberlin Stock Exchange
-Tenants include: Metlife, CITI, Bear Sterns, WaMu Bank, Savings Bank of New Jersey, Garden State Bank, Nike Corporate, Anchor Publishing, Random House, Time Life, Hess, & W.B. Mason.
-Bottom 2 floors are retail and restaurant, as well as the 1st underground level.
-Has 7 levels of trading floors.
-Connects with the Stock Exchange underground.
-Has a 5 floors sub level parking garage.

3. Name: The Ritz-Carlton of Chamberlin
Built: 2006
Floors: 47
-One of Chamberlins most exclusive hotel's.
-Has a top floor penthouse valued at $3,000,000.00 which was bought in May of 2007 buy Maersk Regional CEO: Gustav Hughagean.
-Has a large conference center, 5 floor atrium lobby, and high end retail on the lower levels.

Thats all for tonight, more tomorrow.:tup: Leave comments and suggestions.:yes:

Austin55
Oct 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
Stock excjange looks a bit funky,but the tower is nice.:tup:

Dac150
Oct 7, 2007, 2:30 AM
Good Night From Chamberlin.

More visual updates as well as updates on the former Verizon Telecom Hotel tomorrow.:tup:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9578/nightqm6.jpg

FREKI
Oct 7, 2007, 1:54 PM
Looks great and very realistic!

foxmtbr
Oct 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
Awesome job. :tup:

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 3:08 PM
Gotta love the 3 day weekend!:tup:

Below is the Regional HQ of Oceanic Investments. This building was completed in 1989, but because of the market slump of the 90's, it stayed vacant for 7 years. In 1997, the owners inspected the building and found it to be a mess. For the next year the money pit that was 1313 Buccanan Street had a makeover. In 1998, Oceanic signed on to occupy to top half of the building. In 2000, the bottom half of the building still remained vacant, so Oceanic decided to occupy the entire building, making it their Regional HQ. In doing so they got their logo ontop of the building, a statue of their logo on street level, and renovated the lobby to their liking.
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3638/ocmm6.jpg

The Chamberlin International Trade Center
Buildings:3
Tenants: Fidelity Investments, JP Morgan Chase, Delta Airlines, Ernst & Young, Reuters, Colonial Penn, Visa, IBM, Rolex, & various small businesses
-The complex is inter-connected at ground level.
-Has an underground retail concourse as well as parking
-Multiple trading floors, and connected with the CSE and CSE Tower through the underground concourse.
-A hotel tower was planned, but later cancelled.
-Has a waterfront plaza open to the public.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4549/cbcmj5.jpg

The District Map: This will give you an idea of the various districts in the Chamberlin City Center.
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4804/disfg8.jpg
Red: Downtown/Financial District
Brown: Central Business District
Orange:Government District
Green: Civic District
Clear: Chamberlin Square
Gray: Retail District
Blue: Ocean District

A closing shot:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/386/nightfn5.jpg

Thats all for now. Enjoy!:tup: Leave comments and suggestions.

(Thank you Mr. D and Fox. :tup: )

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 3:12 PM
I couldn't read austin's post.:shrug: That's wierd.

Austin55
Oct 8, 2007, 4:20 PM
a better wTER TEXTURE,and maybe turn uf edges.
me love the ocean district:slob: CITC is pretty cool to.

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 4:29 PM
Today's update below. \/ \/ \/

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 4:31 PM
Started a new page. Here you go.

Gotta love the 3 day weekend!:tup:

Below is the Regional HQ of Oceanic Investments. This building was completed in 1989, but because of the market slump of the 90's, it stayed vacant for 7 years. In 1997, the owners inspected the building and found it to be a mess. For the next year the money pit that was 1313 Buccanan Street had a makeover. In 1998, Oceanic signed on to occupy to top half of the building. In 2000, the bottom half of the building still remained vacant, so Oceanic decided to occupy the entire building, making it their Regional HQ. In doing so they got their logo ontop of the building, a statue of their logo on street level, and renovated the lobby to their liking.
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3638/ocmm6.jpg

The Chamberlin International Trade Center
Buildings:3
Tenants: Fidelity Investments, JP Morgan Chase, Delta Airlines, Ernst & Young, Reuters, Colonial Penn, Visa, IBM, Rolex, & various small businesses
-The complex is inter-connected at ground level.
-Has an underground retail concourse as well as parking
-Multiple trading floors, and connected with the CSE and CSE Tower through the underground concourse.
-A hotel tower was planned, but later cancelled.
-Has a waterfront plaza open to the public.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4549/cbcmj5.jpg

The District Map: This will give you an idea of the various districts in the Chamberlin City Center.
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4804/disfg8.jpg
Red: Downtown/Financial District
Brown: Central Business District
Orange:Government District
Green: Civic District
Clear: Chamberlin Square
Gray: Retail District
Blue: Ocean District

A closing shot:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/386/nightfn5.jpg

Thats all for now. Enjoy!:tup: Leave comments and suggestions.

(Thank you Mr. D and Fox. :tup: )

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 4:32 PM
a better wTER TEXTURE,and maybe turn uf edges.
me love the ocean district:slob: CITC is pretty cool to.

Thanks austin, I'll try the "see through" water.

Austin55
Oct 8, 2007, 4:34 PM
Thanks austin, I'll try the "see through" water.

nay,darker water,new england water

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 8:22 PM
SOLD! Verizon Sell's the Former Telecom Hotel.

Gary Trudell
(The Chamberlin Current)

The sign of a pen, a handshake, and 100 million dollars is what it took residential real estate developer "Gonzo Gecko" to claim full ownership of the former Verizon Telecom Hotel. The deal was signed today at 3:00pm after a 2hour negotiation session between Gecko and Verizon.

Gonzo Gecko is a California native who started his company back in 1995 as a renovtor of old residential properties. In 2000 he started building residential high and lowrises himself. Chamberlin had been in his eye since before he started his company. "I always looked at the city as one big opportunity", said Gecko. Now Gonzo has a prime piece of Chamberlin real estate to use for his liking.

The question on everyone's mind is, what is to become of the site. Gecko showed no hesitation when saying that the Telecom hotel will be demolished as he exited the Verizon office building. Gecko did no elaborate on what his plans were, but his trusted Executive VP stated that they planned to build a pair of luxury residential towers on the site.

Below: The "Verizon" logo is already being taken down.
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2387/verye9.jpg

There has yet to be an official timetable set for the project, but Gecko says he would like demolition to begin as early as the end of October. The demolition process would be one of taking apart on floor at a time. Blasting could result in damage to surrounding areas, and Gecko wants no part in paying for damages. All that is currently being done is the removal of anything "Verizon" on the site.

Austin55
Oct 8, 2007, 10:25 PM
he should have just blown the sighn to smitherns,rather than spend hundreds of dollars to remove it,which makes that scene EXTREMLY realalistc:haha:

Im excited to see whats going to go up there.

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 10:41 PM
Thank you, I want to make everything as realistic as possible.

Aleks
Oct 8, 2007, 11:19 PM
Is a new, modern tower going up in the site or a Post Modern one?

Dac150
Oct 8, 2007, 11:21 PM
Is a new, modern tower going up in the site or a Post Modern one?

I'll probably build 2 modern residential towers connected at the bottom with a podium.

Dac150
Oct 9, 2007, 7:27 PM
Preperation for Verizon Demolition is Underway.

Jack Nichols
(The Chamberlin Current)

In the eary hours of the morning trucks belonging to O&G Construction rumbled down Civic Avenue containing equipment for the demolition of the former Verizon Telecom Hotel. Gonzo Gecko, the developer who yesterday purchased the property, is devoting today to preping the site so the demolition process can get underway as early as Wednesday of this week.

The erection of a tower crane, removal of the south Verizon logo, and the set-up of a black tarp (to hide the demolition scars) were all on today's agenda. Gecko stated, "No time must be spared to having this building demolished. I want it done quick and efficient, an I believe my construction crew is able to do so".

Mocholate
Oct 10, 2007, 12:50 AM
Very cool

can you make the pics smaller or hit 'return' every 25 words cos scrolling to read make me feel sick :P

Austin55
Oct 10, 2007, 12:53 AM
:haha: :previous: :haha:

me was gonna say same thing.me iz takin funy.

dot jack nicholas play golf? me think so,but dunno.

me sez Bye bye vorizon!

Dac150
Oct 10, 2007, 4:12 PM
Very cool

can you make the pics smaller or hit 'return' every 25 words cos scrolling to read make me feel sick :P

No problem Mo.:tup:

Aleks
Oct 11, 2007, 1:55 AM
Hey, I just noticed that 1CBP looks like the Cleveland Tower. Were you inspired by it?
And you seem to like Verizon a lot. Do you have Verizon as your cellphone/internet provider?

Austin55
Oct 11, 2007, 2:44 AM
o my!!! very awesome skyline,awesome arciecture. Dice:cool:

Dac150
Oct 11, 2007, 6:51 PM
Hey, I just noticed that 1CBP looks like the Cleveland Tower. Were you inspired by it?
And you seem to like Verizon a lot. Do you have Verizon as your cellphone/internet provider?

-Honestly it wasn't inspired by the Key Tower in Cleveland. It just happened to end up looking like that as I made it.
-Verizon is used a lot because they provide Telecom service for major cities, so I used them for Chamberlin. I have an AT&T cell phone.:tup: I could have used AT&T, but the Verizon logo was easier to make :haha: .

Dac150
Oct 11, 2007, 7:05 PM
o my!!! very awesome skyline,awesome arciecture. Dice:cool:

Thanks Austin!:tup:

Dac150
Oct 11, 2007, 8:13 PM
I've done a lot of work on Chamberlin today being that it raining and there is virtually nothing to do.:yuck: Anyway, I have cosmetically upgraded some areas of the city as well as built some new additions (not all shown in this update). Well lets begin......

Here is a shot of the Chamberlin Stock Exchange which I have made some cosmetic changes to. I built a public plaza on the outside which connects to the underground concourse linking the CSE, CSE Tower, CITC, and the Ritz Carlton Hotel.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8021/nasrw5.jpg

Here is the current state of the former telecom hotel:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1238/vervm0.jpg

Chamberlin Station:
Currently construction is underway on an elevated rail system that will link Chamberlin to Downtown Hutchinson. The station has just been completed for a "shuttle" type rail that will bring people back and forth from the two cities. The rail itself is still undergoing construction and is expected to be complete by late November. Inside Chamberlin Station also hold a mall, restaurants, and large ticket lobby, and a Atrium Grand Hall.
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/672/stauz5.jpg

Here are just a few more shots of the city:

Looking at the Stock Exchange from Venture Street:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/669/stas4.jpg

A street shot infront of the Hyatt Regancy on Chamberlin Avenue. The telecom hotel in the distance:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2581/sttrb2.jpg

Thats all for now guys.:tup: Please leave comments and suggestions.:yes:

(P.S.- sorry Mo, I forgot about the line lenghts.)

verticalextropy
Oct 11, 2007, 8:36 PM
really like the stock exchange. thought of doing real columns or perhaps just pulling the facade a meter?

Dac150
Oct 11, 2007, 11:33 PM
really like the stock exchange. thought of doing real columns or perhaps just pulling the facade a meter?

For now I'm going to keep the columns the way they are, but I might detail them more in the future.

Aleks
Oct 12, 2007, 2:07 AM
What's that thing in the last shot?

A statue?

Dac150
Oct 12, 2007, 2:20 AM
What's that thing in the last shot?

A statue?

It's a statue of an "H" for Hyatt Hotels. That at one time was their logo. You can also notice the old Hiltion Hotel logo I have on Chamberlin's Hilton.

Dac150
Oct 12, 2007, 2:42 AM
Gecko reveals the Design.

Gary Trudell
(The Chamberlin Current)

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2251/vernq8.jpg
Above: The building that will occupy the former telecom site

Today the design for what is to replace to former Verizon telecom hotel was revealed by developer Gozo Gecko. The design is a 40 floor luxury residential building resting ontop of a podium filled with an indoor swimming pool, a spa, fitness center, grand lobby, conference/business center, luxury street level retail, and a 5 star restaurant. There is also a 3 sub-levels of parking and a tennis court on the roof of the podium.

The luxury apartments range from a $500,000 1bdrm studio to a $25,000,000 penthouse that is made up of the top two floors.

Construction of the cities new residential highrise building is expected to begin in early December following the demoliton of the current site. The building's estimated completion is January 1, 2009. However, Gecko claims the building will be completed sooner.

The sales office will open in a rented space down the street from the site and will accept purchases begining December 15, 2007.

FREKI
Oct 12, 2007, 6:25 PM
http://www.xsltblog.com/archives/The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel.jpg