PDA

View Full Version : [North Vancouver] National Maritime Centre (NMC) | Proposed

Rusty Gull
Sep 26, 2007, 3:28 AM
Here's the most recent update from the City of North Vancouver on the status of the proposed National Maritime Museum, near the foot of Lonsdale Avene:

August 1, 2007

The City of North Vancouver is one step closer to delivering a National Maritime Centre for the Pacific and the Arctic to be located at the historic Pier development site in Lower Lonsdale.

The City has received $560,000 in combined funding from the federal and provincial governments to develop a detailed business plan for a national and regional public attraction that celebrates the unique maritime fabric of Canada’s west coast. The funding comes from Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Ministry of Tourism, Sport and the Arts.

“This significant investment from senior levels of government demonstrates strong support for a National Maritime Centre on our waterfront,” says Mayor Darrell Mussatto. “The federal and provincial governments recognize that the development of a world-class maritime facility would draw local and international visitors to the City’s historic waterfront. Not only would the National Maritime Centre be a major economic development initiative for the City, it has the potential to become a national landmark.”

Located at the centre of Canada's largest and busiest port, The Pier development area provides the only site in the Vancouver Inner Harbour that is capable of hosting water festivals and events with a wide range of vessels, including tall ships, deep sea vessels and naval vessels. The National Maritime Centre would be a dynamic year round destination for residents and tourists, offering historic artifacts and interactive exhibits, maritime education and training, events, business forums and boat festivals as well as amenities such as restaurants and retail shops.

The National Maritime Centre has attracted the support of more than 40 potential partners, including the federal and provincial governments, the Vancouver Port Authority, leaders within the maritime and tourism industries, First Nations and educational partners. Once built, the National Maritime Centre would be self-sustaining through revenues generated from its retail outlets and rental fees.

The site is considered an ideal location because of its great historical significance, as a considerable part of BC’s shipbuilding industry was once situated there. The venerable St. Roch (currently on display at the Vancouver Maritime Museum) as well as many other famous ships, was also built on the Pier site.

Overseeing the National Maritime Centre initiative is the City’s Waterfront Project office whose goal is the enhance public access to the water across the entire west half of the City. www.cnv.org/waterfrontproject For more information about the National Maritime Centre for the Pacific and the Arctic, visit www.cnv.org/NationalMaritimeCentre

Rusty Gull
Sep 26, 2007, 4:08 AM
and more recent news, courtesy North Shore Outlook...

Election waves

The much-anticipated National Maritime Centre planned for this site on the Lower Lonsdale waterfront may not be ready in time for the 2010 Games.

By SAM COOPER Staff Reporter

Sep 13 2007

There was a bit of pre-election tension in the air at the foot of Lonsdale in August when funding for another round of National Maritime Centre (NMC) feasibility studies was announced.

Among attending politicos and planners, North Vancouver Liberal MP Don Bell was there along with the man who wants his job, Conservative challenger Andrew Saxton.

But neither was empowered to stand at the podium with cameras clicking and announce $560,000 in federal and provincial funding for the NMC project — that honour went to MP James Moore of Port Moody.

The government money is going to lawyers and accountants now double-checking North Vancouver’s business model for the NMC, in order to attract private partners and assure them “(the NMC plan) is not an albatross,” said outgoing waterfront project manager Richard White.

Results are expected back in October, but whether private partners come calling or not, the crucial factor will be federal funding.

City planners have said that the clock is ticking on chances to get a facility built for the 2010 Olympics and the city is under pressure to finalize plans on the historic shipping precinct, which could mean dumping or downgrading the NMC plan. “It could be a much more modest facility than we planned on,” White said.

Yet in this atmosphere of urgency, still no major funding has been announced, and that has some experts wondering if federal election strategy is the main sticking point.

The question is whether the federal government would bestow a big chunk of funding to a non-Conservative riding before an election, which could come any time before fall 2009, and as early as this winter.

One North Vancouver councillor suggested they doubt funding will flow before an election, and if the Conservatives remain in power but Bell beats Saxton, the project will never receive federal support. However on the other side of that opinion, Ivan Leonard, a member of Lonsdale Citizens’ Association and close watcher of waterfront development, said he believes the government sees North Vancouver as a swing riding that could benefit from a pre-election cash injection.

“They might want to grant a project before an election, and usurp credit from Don Bell,” Leonard said.

Bell said election strategy may be in play, but he believes both Liberals and Conservatives now see the value of the project in North Vancouver.

“I would hope whether this government or another (is in power) they wouldn’t ply that degree of partisanship (to base funding on election strategy),” Bell said. “I think both sides are in approval now because it’s a good project.”

Bell said he thinks it’s still possible the project could be finished for 2010.

“It may or may not happen (but) it would be close.”

Saxton did not respond to interview requests for this story, but has said he thinks North Vancouver tourism and business would benefit greatly if the NMC plan comes to fruition.

SFUVancouver
Sep 27, 2007, 4:27 AM
Here is an early render of the proposed National Maritime Centre:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/696/nmcrenderzm6.jpg
Source: City of North Vancouver

paradigm4
Sep 28, 2007, 1:01 AM
Looks great so far!

Rusty Gull
Jan 16, 2008, 7:01 AM
City of North Vancouver defers decision on shipyards structures

Heidi Castle
North Shore News

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

THE jury is still out on a controversial bylaw change that could see the demolition of three heritage designated shipyard buildings on the City of North Vancouver's waterfront, following a two-hour public hearing Monday evening.

At stake are the former Wallace Shipyards machine shop built in 1911, the boiler house, and the blacksmith shop on parcel 10 of the now defunct Wallace, Burrard and Versatile shipyard site.

The future of the buildings is further tied up in a proposal to build a National Maritime Centre on the site, something senior levels of government have not yet committed funding to and won't until the city can bring the project's overall capital and operating costs down. The original proposal estimated the cost of the maritime centre at $106 million. That amount is now down to about $90 million.

City staff told council Monday, the cost to dismantle and store the buildings, instead of demolition, is $500,000.

In addition to the uncertainty of federal government funding, the city also faces a time crunch to ready the land due to construction timelines on neighbouring sites.

Preparing the site involves a process known as dynamic compaction, a cheaper option than pile driving.

After a two-hour public hearing, subsequent one-hour council discussion and a brief tete-a-tete between Mayor Darrell Mussatto and city manager Ken Tollstam Monday, council voted unanimously to defer any decision on the heritage buildings until staff look to see if funding to dismantle and store them can be found within the city's budget.

The city would have to finance the additional amount as in all likelihood the federal government wouldn't pay additional costs, said Tollstam.

"I, like everyone in this room, want to have a National Maritime Centre here in the City of North Vancouver and we're rolling the dice a bit," said Mussatto. "We have to be extremely careful about how we move forward because we will be committing our taxes not just this year but for many years to come."

Council is committed to saving its heritage but has to consider the cost, he said.

Peter Miller, president of the North Shore Heritage Preservation Society, told council that rescinding the buildings' heritage designation for demolition is regressive and goes against city policy to save heritage.

The blacksmith shop, the most viable building of the three, should be saved and integrated into the maritime centre design, he said.

"It's not enough to dismantle and store that building with some vague hope or promise. There must also be a firm commitment by council to incorporate it into the designs," he said.

"If these buildings are demolished, part of our local and national heritage will be lost forever," said Miller, a comment echoed by speaker after speaker during the public hearing.

The city has never rescinded a heritage designation and it is a rare occurrence elsewhere in the province.

However, one speaker, Ronald McIntyre of 539 W. 21st St., said the value the community places on heritage must be tempered with realism.

"My belief is that those people who worked so diligently to improve our community would not want to see progress come to a standstill on the North Shore for the express preservation of large mammoth structures which have basically been left to decay," he said.

The city's shipbuilding heritage can be honoured within the proposed maritime centre, he said.

Whether the maritime centre goes ahead or not, the city still needs to move forward to develop the 100,000-square-foot waterfront site, said Coun. Bob Heywood. One way or the other, the buildings have to come down, he said.

"This is a major opportunity for the North Shore to develop the site to keep the best of the heritage that we can, as much of the heritage that we can and still create a significant heritage value," said Heywood.
© North Shore News 2008

Rusty Gull
Jan 25, 2008, 8:43 PM
Heritage lost
By Sam Cooper - North Shore Outlook - January 24, 2008

Following a controversial vote Monday that cleared the way to demolish heritage shipping buildings at the foot of Lonsdale, CNV Mayor Darrell Mussatto is hopeful $60 million in funding for the proposed National Maritime Centre (NMC) will flow soon and justify the move.

But critics say heritage is being traded away for funding that may never arrive.

On Monday council voted 5-2 to rescind heritage protection for the former machine, boiler house and blacksmith shops on the historic Wallace, Burrard and Versatile shipyard lands, which were to be included in the maritime centre.

In an interview with The Outlook, former city councillor Stella Jo Dean reacted to the vote, saying “it’s one of the saddest days in the history of North Vancouver.”

Dean said the vote was a slap in the face to the former councils and planners who put so much time into plans for a historic shipping precinct at the foot of Lonsdale.

“Ever since I can remember it was supposed to be a heritage site based on the shipping history,” Dean said, adding “why is the (NMC plan dictating) everything now? These grants may not happen.”

The city is facing a time crunch on the NMC site acquired from neighbouring developer Pinnacle International as the company surges forward with hotel and condo construction. At the same time, senior governments asked the city to slash its $106 million project budget.

City planners said it would cost nearly

$4 million to save and re-erect the historic shipping buildings in the NMC — which proved too high a price for council. One machine shop building on Parcel 9 is being saved and integrated in the plan at a cost of $2 million.

Planners also proposed cutting costs with a site preparation technique called dynamic compaction. But the compaction must be finished before Pinnacle’s building walls go up, hence the urgency to decide the fate of the heritage buildings.

“That is why we made a decision about (the) heritage buildings last night,” Mussatto said to a group of Lower Lonsdale residents in a special meeting at city hall Tuesday.

In the meeting Mussatto said, “we think $60 million” in funding from senior governments is slated for construction of the maritime centre, and “the indication is positive” that a public-private partnership will eventually run the NMC.

Mussatto said the city will submit a new business plan in February and he hopes for a definitive answer from the feds by June.

He based his optimism for $60 million in funding on responses to the plan from senior government officials.

“The plan has gone all the way to the Premier’s office and I believe it’s gone to the Prime Minister’s office too.”

Couns. Pam Bookham and Bob Fearnley voted against the plan to demolish the heritage buildings.

“I’m disappointed — I hate being squeezed by Pinnacle’s timetable and the senior levels of government,” Bookham said Tuesday. “I think we are paying a big price in terms of our heritage.”

Bookham said based on debate in council, she thinks “for the councillors that voted (to rescind heritage designation) it came down to fear of losing the National Maritime Centre.”

Bookham acknowledged there’s cause for optimism on funding but a federal election that could happen anytime would scuttle the NMC plan.

“I’m very scared given the political climate...we may lose the (heritage) structures and not have that project in the end.”

On Tuesday Mussatto said he also fears a snap federal election. Pundits say the election could happen on any number of upcoming votes in the minority government.

“I’m hoping we don’t have a federal election, because it would put (funding hopes) on hold for a year,” Mussatto said.

It is not clear when the heritage buildings will be demolished.

“I think (the city) will move as quickly as possible,” Bookham said.

In council, Fearnley said the demolition will break a commitment to the public to save the buildings in a historic precinct.

officedweller
Jan 25, 2008, 8:53 PM
I think that's fine as long as it leads to a landmark structure.
Hopefully there is a restriction on the use of the site for the National Maritime Centre (i.e. if funding falls through can Pinnacle redevelop with condos? hope not).

Rusty Gull
Jan 25, 2008, 9:00 PM
Yes, it sounds like the City is taking a gamble, since they run the risk of losing both the heritage and the financing for the new maritime centre.

Of course, it could pay off handsomely if the province and fed come through, but if not... watch out...

Pinion
Feb 7, 2008, 7:38 AM
What's the plan for the land to the east of the maritime centre? Surely the whole area not gonna be for the centre? I live just a few blocks north and east of this so this development is of huge interest to me.

Any more condos being built right along the water? My father in law wants to invest in the area but wants to make sure he has an ocean view and I'm not sure what to tell him.

Rusty Gull
Feb 7, 2008, 7:52 AM
^I believe you can see a pdf or html page of the plans for Lower Lonsdale at www.cnv.org

Pinion
Feb 7, 2008, 8:16 AM
I don't see anything there about the area east of what will become the maritime centre...

Rusty Gull
Feb 7, 2008, 6:29 PM
I don't see anything there about the area east of what will become the maritime centre...

Probably because it won't be slated for change. Don't those lands belong to industry and the Port Authority?

There was a rumour that Dennis Washington wanted to put the fast ferries back on the water for a run to Nanaimo from North Van (at that location), but it was mostly talk.

Pinion
Feb 9, 2008, 4:39 AM
Probably because it won't be slated for change. Don't those lands belong to industry and the Port Authority?

There was a rumour that Dennis Washington wanted to put the fast ferries back on the water for a run to Nanaimo from North Van (at that location), but it was mostly talk.

But... there is nothing there? Surely they plan to use the land for something?

Smooth
Feb 15, 2008, 1:56 AM
Province pledges funds for N. Van maritime centre
By Sam Cooper - North Shore Outlook - February 14, 2008

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/320*214/ShipyardsWEB.jpg
Shipping news - The original proposal for the National Maritime Centre included three heritage buildings located at the foot of Lonsdale.

Relieved, overwhelmed and perhaps even vindicated. That's how City of North Vancouver Mayor Darrell Mussatto feels after the provincial government’s announcement in Tuesday's throne speech of its official support for the proposed National Maritime Centre for the Pacific and the Arctic.

While not setting out a figure for committed funds, the province promised to support a public-private business plan, "subject to federal matching dollars."

Mussatto said he has no idea how much money the province has to give, but an indication could come when the provincial budget is tabled next week.

He added while federal funding is not assured he has positive indications the Conservative government is behind the NMC plan based on feedback from city staff who are working closely with the federal government.

"I was overwhelmed (with the provincial pledge of support) because it's a very positive signal," Mussatto said. "I felt a lot of relief about the future."

Key to the provincial announcement was the city chopping the $110-million business plan for the NMC down to $90 million.

The cuts included the tough political choice to de-designate three heritage buildings on the historic shipping yard grounds on the waterfront that were to be a central part of the NMC plan.

The move angered many city residents and even former council members, but it may have been the crucial factor in showing senior governments how committed the city is to the NMC, Mussatto said.

"While (de-designating) was a tough decision in the end it was one of the big things," Mussatto said. "The province sees we were working hard (to bring down costs.)"

According to a release from the CNV, the proposed NMC has attracted support of more than 45 potential partners, including the federal, provincial and Lower Mainland municipal governments, the Vancouver Port Authority, and leaders within the maritime and tourism industries, plus First Nations and educational partners.

nikw
Feb 15, 2008, 4:08 AM
So if this goes through, what will it make of the Maritime Museum in Vancouver?

officedweller
Feb 15, 2008, 6:40 AM
Great News!

So if this goes through, what will it make of the Maritime Museum in Vancouver?

Good question. At one time the Vancouver Maritime Museum wanted nothing to do with this one (that one being a classic curated museum and this one being more interactive like Science World). I think the Vancouver Maritime Museum has a new director who is more receptive to either combining facilities or at least sharing exhibits (although the exhibits are owned by the City of Vancouver and locating them outside the city may be an issue).

excel
Feb 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
Good news.

Rusty Gull
Feb 15, 2008, 5:16 PM
All the noise I've heard in recent times is that the Vancouver Maritime Museum is fully onboard. They realize that their location at Kits Point is too small and doesn't have near the foot-traffic or bustle.

Obviously, the location at the foot of Lonsdale Avenue is ideal -- set amidst a working port (including a fleet of tugboats, and our ever-iconic Fast Ferries), just steps away from the Seabus and the tourist-friendly Lonsdale Quay. And the views of Burrard Inlet are quite impressive.

I think the one area of contention is where to house the St. Roche boat that was build in North Vancouver, but is now owned by the City of Vancouver. It would be a showpiece for the new centre, but whether the City would allow for it to be moved or not is quite debatable.

I suppose the bigger question is... for those of you under the age of 50... do you really care about a maritime museum or centre? How many folks on this forum have actually been to the museum in Kits? Anyone???

officedweller
Feb 16, 2008, 12:47 AM
Like any museum in town - the last time I went there was in the 70s as a kid. I may take relatives there if they visit from out of town - but all my relatives have been through there already!

Yume-sama
Feb 16, 2008, 3:24 AM
I would probably never go to it, but it would dress up the area somewhat.

Pinion
Feb 16, 2008, 9:16 AM
Anything to get rid of those damn warehouses is a plus. I bought a condo just up the hill and can't wait for this development. Currently, living 3 blocks from the ocean might as well be 100.

cc85
Feb 16, 2008, 11:02 PM
we need heritage, but then again it places an undue burden on sites sometimes. thats all i care to say about heritage.

jlousa
May 4, 2008, 5:58 PM
Everyone must still be sleeping this morning, anyways from todays Province.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=e8d82b77-e80a-49fc-b967-3afebba5d58b&k=83750

Province gives $9 million to North Van maritime centre
By Frank Luba, The Province
Published: Saturday, May 03, 2008

Premier Gordon Campbell fulfilled a promise from the February throne speech, supporting the National Maritime Centre by announcing a one-time grant of $9 million for the North Vancouver project Friday.

The centre is to be the anchor tenant of the Pier, the City of North Vancouver's ambitious redevelopment of its waterfront.

Envisioned on the city's website as being approximately 80,000 square feet of building space plus atrium potential, the centre will provide year-round activities. An architect's rendering of the proposed National Maritime Centre on the North Vancouver waterfront.

Those activities will include interactive and educational exhibits about the Coastal First Nations and the Arctic, a wide variety of programs about everything from shipbuilding to ocean trade and immigration, along with a training centre for maritime activities such as boating safety and restoration.

Campbell is an enthusiastic supporter of the centre, which will require the participation of the federal government and the private sector.

"It really is saying to ourselves, 'How do we bring together the province, the municipality, the federal government, the private sector to make sure we take advantage of the incredible asset that we have there and build, I think, a better understanding of our history,'" he said.

That history is especially pertinent this year, the 150th since B.C. was founded as a Crown colony.

"The maritime industries were a big part of our province as we grew from a fledgling province to become a major economic engine," said Campbell.

The City of North Vancouver's contribution to the project is the land, existing buildings and rezoning.

Mayor Darrell Mussatto said the provincial money would be used for preparing the soil and more detailed planning.

"It will really enable us to move forward," said Mussatto, who has been to Ottawa to discuss the project with Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs Rona Ambrose.

Mussatto, who hopes the centre can open in 2011 or 2012, said the total cost is expected to be between $60 million and $100 million.

MistyMountainHop
May 4, 2008, 8:18 PM
Here's the rendering from The Province:

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/a4b09470-31fe-420a-9bdc-9348816409b7/maritimecentre1.jpg

deasine
May 4, 2008, 8:22 PM
Thanks. Reminds me a little like a miniature Olympic Village.

excel
May 4, 2008, 9:18 PM
good news thanks.

Pinion
May 4, 2008, 11:09 PM
Here's the rendering from The Province:

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/a4b09470-31fe-420a-9bdc-9348816409b7/maritimecentre1.jpg

I thought they decided to tear down those empty "heritage" husks. Are they just putting replicas in their place or is that illustration out of date?

As the board's token lower lonsdale resident this gets a big yawn from me... though I can't wait to walk along the water.

Rusty Gull
May 6, 2008, 4:25 PM
This proposal might finally be heating up -- thanks in part to what's going on across the Inlet in Vancouver. Read on...

Vancouver Maritime Museum forced to close

Jeff Lee
Vancouver Sun

Monday, May 05, 2008

Vancouver Maritime Museum
CREDIT: Ian Lindsay/Vancouver Sun
Vancouver Maritime Museum

Vancouver - The Maritime Museum, with a collection of marine artifacts worth more than $14 million, has been told to close its doors by the end of 2009, The Vancouver Sun has learned.

The Vancouver Maritime Museum Society, which has been quietly trying to work with the city on a plan to move the collection to the proposed National Maritime Centre in North Vancouver, went public Monday, saying the city is forcing it to close before a plan is in place for the collection's survival.

Instead, the city is proceeding with an appraisal of the museum's 35,000 artifacts, 20,000-book library and 114,000-document archives with a view towards getting rid of anything it doesn't consider historically significant.

For half a century volunteers have looked after and cherished the Maritime Museum, accumulating a collection to make it one of the best museums of its kind in North America.

Its centrepiece is the RCMP's historic Arctic schooner St. Roch, the first ship to circumnavigate North America and to go through the fabled Northwest Passage.

The dispute erupted Monday when society president Hector Williams sent a blistering letter to Sue Harvey, the city's managing director of cultural services after the city last week issued what he called "a termination agreement."

In his letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Vancouver Sun, Williams accused Harvey of ignoring the volunteer board's efforts to protect the museum's vast collection, insisting on unrealistic timelines for a transition to a new location, and of endangering the St. Roch, a National Heritage Site.

He said Harvey had been dismissive and disrespectful, and that her responses "show ignorance, or a wilful denial, of the issues involved in real transition planning."

He concluded that "if the city's intent is to terminate the museum, break up the collection and remove it from public display, it will have to do so by its own hand and not through the [society]."

Harvey said in an interview that the city is simply assessing the collection, which it owns, and will report back to council for further direction.

"Clearly they are upset," she said of the board. "I am not sure that there is in fact a dispute.

"This is a long-standing conversation that goes back many years. Both the city and the museum need clarity about the future of the collection, the museum and the land."

She said the city received a request from North Vancouver for an assessment of the collection prior to parts of it being included in the new centre.

Harvey said the museum society and the city have for years discussed plans to move the museum from Kitsilano Point.

The recommendation to close as of the end of 2009 was based on the society's request for a transition agreement.

The city contributes nearly $400,000 a year to the museum, and the agreement would stabilize that funding, she said.

"What we are doing is responding to their request for a transition plan, and that happened to have a three year timeline in it," she said.

However, Williams said the society's request for transition funding is being used as a weapon against it, and the city's proposal, which the society has now rejected, would force the museum to close before a new home is found for the collection.

He also questioned why the city would want the museum to close only months before the 2010 Winter Games, an event that he said would greatly boost the museum's bottom line.

"This is an incredibly insensitive thing to do," he said. "The risk they are taking is that all the momentum for public participation, and for support from donors, will come to an end."

The museum also houses the Wally Chung Collection, a vast archive of Canadian Pacific documents and memorabilia unlike any other in the world.

The appraisal is being done by Commonwealth Historic Resource Management, which last year issued a review of the collection in which it said "is a coherent collection in which the value of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts"

The dispute comes as plans for the proposed National Maritime Centre got a boost from the province. On Friday Premier Gordon Campbell announced B.C. would contribute $9 million to the new centre, contingent on matching federal funds. However, the proposed $80 million centre is still not a certainty.

jefflee@png.canwest.com

djh
May 6, 2008, 7:44 PM
What's the equivalent of "vapourware" for buildings? This and the Dalai Llama Centre, are projects that have been talked about for years and years and years, and lots of self-serving politicians have issued press releases about them, but guess what, they will never get built.

mr.x
May 6, 2008, 8:55 PM
There isn't even a design for the new museum, not to mention that funding hasn't been secured....and they're still going to close it by the end of 2009?

How about waiting until a new museum is actually built?

It'll be interesting to see how they will move the St. Roch, without anything falling apart.

Pinion
Jul 31, 2008, 2:27 AM
Is anyone posting photos of this site's construction? They're already about three stories up on the hotel. I walk past it daily and could post the occasional update photo if anyone's interested and no one else is doing it.

Rusty Gull
Jul 31, 2008, 4:27 AM
Go for it (pix, that is)

By the way, the waterfront project was profiled on CTV-BC Today. You can view the clip at http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/

Rusty Gull
Sep 6, 2008, 5:01 PM
City of North Vancouver Establishes National Maritime Centre Society
and Leadership Council

The City of North Vancouver is pleased to announce the appointment of a National Maritime Centre Society (NMC Society).

As part of the business plan to bring a National Maritime Centre for the Pacific and the Arctic to the historic Pier development site in Lower Lonsdale, Mayor Darrell Mussatto and Council have approved the
official constitution, bylaws and appointments that enable a National Maritime Centre Society to be formed.

The newly incorporated NMC Society is comprised of 14 appointed directors and three City representatives, each of whom brings significant related experience, particularly in the areas of project construction, financial management and maritime interests. Their combined expertise is vital to the initial design, construction and operations of the proposed National Maritime Centre. With the establishment of the NMC Society, the board can now apply for charitable registration, initiate its fundraising strategy and begin the search for an Executive Director. The 14 appointed directors of the Society were chosen from the NMC Leadership Council that was assembled at the beginning of the planning process to provide input on project development.

The 14 appointed directors of the NMC Society include:

• Peter G. Bernard, Q.C., maritime lawyer and former Director of the Vancouver Maritime Museum
• Robert T. Boyd, senior mining executive with over 30 years related experience
• Graham Clarke, Chair of the Vancouver Airport Authority board of directors
• Steve Frasher, CEO of the Washington Marine Group of Companies
• Jim W. Hudson, C.A., former CAO at the Vancouver Police Department
• Deborah Jacobs, Education Director for the Squamish Nation
• Terry A. Lyons, former Chairman of Versatile Pacific Shipyards
• G. Craig McKeen, President of McKeen and Wilson Ltd., a fourth generation family business established in 1893 in North Vancouver
• Dennis Molner, former Director of MacDonald Dettwiler and served on the President’s Advisory Council at Capilano University
• Graham Nicholls, former BHP Billiton executive and former Deputy Minister of the Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources with the Government of the Northwest Territories
• Grant Ritchie, Board member of the B.C. Pavilion Corporation responsible for the development of the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre
• Robin Wilson, former Chair of Capilano University and Director of North Shore Family Services
• Robyn Woodward, former Board member of the Vancouver Maritime Museum and MOSAIC
• Naomi Yamamoto, President & General Manager of the North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce

The inclusion of three City of North Vancouver representatives: City Manager, Ken Tollstam; Director of Finance, Isabel Gordon; and NMC Project Director, Larry Orr, ensure that the interests of the community
remain a priority during the development of the National Maritime Centre. Once the facility is operational, the NMC Society may adopt a different organizational structure, such as a more community-based model
with broader community representation to help guide the National Maritime Centre into the future.

Envisioned as a world-class facility, national landmark and major tourist attraction, the National Maritime Centre will be a dynamic year-round destination for residents and tourists, offering historic artifacts and
interactive exhibits, maritime education and training, events, business forums, and boat festivals as well as amenities such as restaurants and retail shops. Once built, the National Maritime Centre would be self-
sustaining through commercial revenues generated on the site.

During its development, the proposed Centre has attracted the support of more than 45 potential partners, including the federal, provincial and lower mainland municipal governments, the Vancouver Port Authority,
leaders within the maritime and tourism industries, First Nations and educational partners.

In May 2008, the City of North Vancouver received a $9 million financial commitment and official support from the provincial government. Praised by Premier Gordon Campbell for its vision and dedication to preserving Canada’s unique maritime heritage, the City’s National Maritime Centre is an example of an impressive public-private partnership.

Located in the Pier development, the National Maritime Centre will be at the centre of the City’s largest and busiest port. The proposed site is an ideal location and has been federally designated as having major
historical significance because it was once the site of much of B.C.’s shipbuilding industry.

For more information about the National Maritime Centre for the Pacific and the Arctic, visit www.cnv.org/NationalMaritimeCentre.

Rusty Gull
Oct 17, 2008, 5:54 AM
North Shore Outlook
WEB EXTRA: Bell and Saxton battle over National Maritime Centre support in tight North Van election race

By Sam Cooper - North Shore Outlook

Published: October 09, 2008 4:00 PM
Updated: October 09, 2008 5:35 PM

The City of North Vancouver's Lonsdale Pier has become a popular campaign tour stop in what is considered to be an extremely tight race between Liberal incumbent Don Bell and Conservative challenger Andrew Saxton.

While Saxton has already announced his support for the project and visited the proposed site with CNV Mayor Darrell Mussatto and B.C. Conservative MP James Moore, Thursday Bell brought Liberal party heavy-hitter Bob Rae down to the Pier to announce support for the NMC within the party's 'Made in BC Agenda'.

"I have fought hard for the inclusion of this excellent facility in our platform," Bell stated in a press release. "The reality is that this project has been delayed far too long by the Harper Conservatives."

Andrew Saxton said that Bell promised the same type of support for the NMC in the closing days of the last federal election.

"He didn't deliver," Saxton said. Saxton's campaign manager Marko Dekovic called Bell's statement "complete nonsense."

While it appears severe credit seizures in world money markets and global recession concerns could dampen hopes to push the NMC forward, Saxton said "(the credit seizure) doesn't mean (the NMC) won't go ahead. I will certainly fight for it."

Bell claimed the project could address "current economic turmoil."

"This project will provide a short term boost to the local trades and construction industry in a time when construction starts are declining and a longer term economic lift to our tourism industry."

Dekovic said based on phone polling, door knocking and other research, the North Vancouver race will be decided by less than 1000 votes.

Rusty Gull
Oct 31, 2008, 10:48 PM
CNV may re-negotiate with Pinnacle to complete stalled waterfront project: Mayor Mussatto

Published: October 29, 2008 4:00 PM
Updated: October 31, 2008 1:10 PM

CNV Mayor Darrell Mussatto is quelling fears that the stalled Pinnacle International waterfront development may be in financial danger, but says it’s possible council will re-negotiate with the developer on the project’s estimated $10 million amenity package, including roads, plazas, heating pipes and sewers.

Construction on Pinnacle’s new hotel and conference centre at the foot of Lonsdale was abruptly shut down four weeks ago, while the city says the developer has all permits required to continue work.

According to Pinnacle’s project marketer, pre-sale condo sales specialist Grace Kwok, condo units in the hotel are 50 per cent sold and Pinnacle’s sales office remains open. The hotel and conference centre are on one of 13 land parcels planned to create a maritime-themed waterfront village consisting of over 1 million square feet of residential and commercial floor space, plus a museum with public space among converted heritage shipping buildings.

Michael De Cotiis of Pinnacle International says the hotel construction work is paused only for subdivision approval, and not because of the economics of the project.

Mussatto said the only remaining subdivision issue to be hammered out is a delivery plan for the infrastructure and amenities promised by Pinnacle. CNV waterfront project manager Gary Penway said he believes Pinnacle is now costing out the amenity package.

Mussatto said he has considered the possibility that Pinnacle may be in financial trouble, but if that’s the case it’s out of the city’s control. He noted in the current real estate and financial market downturn, a number of development projects across the Lower Mainland are facing difficulties.

“If tragedy happens and they (Pinnacle) can’t finish it, we won’t be the only ones,” Mussatto said. Mussatto said from his understanding Pinnacle has the “cash flow” to complete the hotel and conference centre. He added if Pinnacle can not deliver amenities integral to proposed National Maritime Centre plans, the city can cash a $10 million bond to complete its part of the waterfront plan.

Mussatto also said it’s possible the whole plan will come back to council in order to help the developer continue, but “we’re hoping we can get it done with the existing zoning.”

Mussatto said that unlike the fall 2006 council vote which gave Pinnacle additional residential height on the waterfront project, he personally would not support any more height or density, if the developer asked for it. “I’m pretty confident council would not support that,” he added.

He said the city could possibly be flexible if the two sides are far apart on cost estimates for amenity construction.

“(If the question) is how do we pay for a plaza it might be what degree of (construction) finishing ( Pinnacle will be required to do),” Mussatto said.

The ultimate owner of the former Versatile Shipyards site now being developed by Pinnacle is PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC), but Mussatto, Penway and Kwok all stressed that there is no active receivership status on the Pinnacle development in connection to the recent work stoppage.

Kwok and Penway said some condo unit purchasers in the currently halted project have called with concerns about their investments, but all have been reassured. Kwok said not a single purchaser has walked away from a pre-sale deposit. Kwok said some real estate lawyers and buyers have been “mistaken” about financial concerns on the project because “the (original) receiver is still attached to” the waterfront land title.

Penway said as soon as the current subdivision application (expected to be filed within weeks according to the city) is approved for Pinnacle, PWC will be detached from the land title.

Jay Wollenberg of Coriolis Consulting Corp., who was employed originally with Versatile lands receiver PWC, said he is now consulting with Pinnacle on their subdivision application for the site.

A request for interview to Pinnacle’s waterfront project manager concerning the work stoppage was not returned.

officedweller
Jan 10, 2009, 2:20 AM
From the North Shore Outlook:

Good News!!

North Shore Outlook
Stalled waterfront hotel development restarts in North Vancouver — Fed funding for NMC may be announced within weeks: CNV Mayor Darrell Mussatto

Published: January 09, 2009 3:00 PM
Updated: January 09, 2009 5:08 PM

Political and business leaders in the City of North Vancouver are breathing a huge sigh of relief as construction on the Pinnacle International $100-million mixed use waterfront development — halted for about three months amid fears of a collapsing real estate industry and global credit crunch — is back running "full steam."

"It's extremely good news," CNV Mayor Darrell Mussatto said Friday. "There were workers back on the site Wednesday. I was just down there (Friday) afternoon and they have 50 workers going full steam."

Mussatto said Pinnacle's hotel, a conference centre and a number of residential units on Parcel 5 will be completed for the 2010 Olympics, and "a substantial" amount of work on two nearby heritage shipping buildings should also be completed by the developer in time for the Games, which means the city will be able to present a near-complete waterfront to a global audience.

Mussatto said he can't comment for Pinnacle on why they halted work originally as they were permitted to continue while seeking a subdivision for the site.

In a previous story with the Outlook Pinnacle management stated the halt had nothing to do with financial or credit problems.

Mussatto said this week the city signed off on the final subdivision proposal from Pinnacle for the current phase of development, and has received a performance bond to ensure the developer completes its responsibilities.

Securing the bond, for $13.5 million, was the most important hurdle to clear in order to restart development on the waterfront, CNV official Doug Pope told the Outlook in a previous story.

Mussatto added the city's original deal with Pinnacle including delivery of site amenities such as roads and plazas did not have to be re-negotiated in order to get the project moving again, except for a "bit of timing" on some construction.

With a crucial piece of the city's waterfront plans now apparently back on track, Mussatto said the city may be in for another boost, as he's been "hearing very positive stuff," from the federal government in terms of possible funding for the proposed National Maritime Centre.

"This month we're hoping for a positive announcement (from the feds)," Mussatto said. "I can't say much more than that."

Mussatto said it's possible there will be funds for the NMC in the multi-billion infrastructure-centred funding stimulus package that federal Finance Minister Joe Flaherty has promised.

Councillor Pam Bookham said there is a great sense of relief and optimism within city hall following the news of Pinnacle's getting back to work.

"Everyone has been watching to see if we have a half-finished building (at the foot of Lonsdale.)"

Rusty Gull
Jan 10, 2009, 5:27 AM
Thanks OfficeDweller. That is huge news indeed. I heard the construction noise this morning coming from the waterfront, and couldn't believe my ears.

Distill3d
Jan 10, 2009, 8:27 AM
wow, thats an ambitious deadline for the site to be completed.

thedjraw
Jan 10, 2009, 9:01 AM
yeah i drove by today and saw some work being done but it sure didnt look like 50 workers!

hollywoodnorth
Jan 10, 2009, 10:23 PM
yeah i drove by today and saw some work being done but it sure didnt look like 50 workers!

maybe its a union site?? ...... so 10 working and 40 in the trailers drinking coffee? :cheers:

Pinion
Jan 10, 2009, 11:54 PM
Great news. I have doubts they'll finish the hotel by the Olympics though.

officedweller
Jan 14, 2010, 2:16 AM
Looks like the National Maritime Centre is dead.
(although it seems that the Maritime Museum still lives on (I thought it was being closed by the City of Vamcouver)

Marooned funding sinks North Van maritime showcase

By Andy Ivens, The ProvinceJanuary 13, 2010

The National Maritime Centre -- the proposed pearl of the North Vancouver waterfront -- is dead in the water.

Mayor Darrell Mussatto announced Tuesday the province has pulled its share of the funding for the proposal, which would have revitalized the historic heart of North Vancouver.

He said the city has no way to make up the $75-million cost of the project.

"We were looking for $30 million from the provincial government and $30 million from the feds," said Mussatto. The federal commitment was contingent on whatever Victoria put in.

Commitments from private sponsors were approaching $15 million, said Mussatto, "but theirs was on top of the money that was needed from the province and the feds."

The proposal called for an 110,000-square-foot building housing a museum, theatre and a new home for the St. Roch -- the retired RCMP patrol vessel that was the first to circumnavigate North America. It was built in 1928 on the site of the former Versatile Shipyards, where the National Maritime Centre was slated to be built.

"We have no Plan B," admitted Mussatto. "We're going to look at all the options" [for the city-owned land].

B.C. Culture Minister Kevin Krueger said that, "due to the dramatic decline in revenues that has happened to us, we have had to prioritize where we will spend money and we are honouring our commitments not to cut health care and education. We are very sad about it."

While disappointed, Vancouver Maritime Museum president Craig Beattie said the 60-year-old City of Vancouver museum, which the St. Roch calls home, is on a strong financial footing. He hopes to build "a new and better museum," starting with a new roof.

aivens@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) The Province

Pinion
Jan 15, 2010, 1:49 AM
Great news. I have doubts they'll finish the hotel by the Olympics though.

Glad I was wrong about that. They really amped up construction recently.

Too bad about the NMC but like I said in the Pier development thread, it'd make a great recreation/green space.

Rusty Gull
Jan 15, 2010, 5:30 AM
National Maritime Centre sunk by lack of provincal funding

A lack of provincial funding appears to have scuttled the plan to build a National Maritime Centre at the foot of Lonsdale.
Text By Daniel Pi - North Shore Outlook

Published: January 12, 2010 10:00 AM
Updated: January 14, 2010 10:52 AM

0 Comments The National Maritime Centre (NMC) has been sunk after the provincial government announced it cannot help fund the project, and North Vancouver has no “Plan B,” CNV Mayor Darrell Mussatto said.

On Monday night City of North Vancouver council released a letter from the province which stated it cannot find the funding for the project “now or in the foreseeable future.”

The federal government had committed funding, but without the province taking part Mussatto said the project is dead.

With the project estimated at $70 million, Mussatto said the city was hopeful for $30- to $35-million each from the province and feds to help build the NMC.

“It was critical we had their money and their support,” Mussatto said. “The city cannot go it alone. The city cannot leverage the federal government for money to do what we had planned.”

That $30-million price tag was just too much for the province, said Naomi Yamamoto, MLA for North Vancouver-Lonsdale.

“It’s not that the business case wasn’t valid,” she told The Outlook. “The project has been brought to the attention of various ministers. Everybody has been trying to make this work.”

The NMC has been a much-hyped project in the city for several years, and touted to be the flagship attraction of a revitalized waterfront at the foot of Lonsdale.

Over five years it saw many false starts as politicians at all levels announced their support for the project.

“It was announced in two throne speeches, that’s how committed we were,” Yamamoto said. “We gave the city $9 million to prepare a business case.”

While the final business case was presented the February 2008, Yamamoto said that was followed by a federal, municipal, then provincial election.

“And during those times, nothing gets done,” she said. “And that ate up a huge chunk of time . . . But I think it took so long because we had been hoping that our provincial revenue may take a change for the better and it hasn’t.”

Mussatto said the city has already spent $850,000 over five years towards the project, and spent about half of the $9 million provincial grant that was provided to drive the project forward.

“Council doesn’t have a Plan B,” Mussatto said, adding staff are now working on ideas that will be brought forward at a upcoming council workshop.

Despite the loss of the NMC, the revitalization of the Lonsdale waterfront will continue, including an upcoming area study and continued work on other sites near the NMC.

Much work has already been done in the area.

Two public piers have been built, and this week, the new Pinnacle Hotel at the Pier is set up accept its first guests.

But now the five-acre lot set aside for the NMC will remain empty until council determines a new direction.

“We’re carrying on – we have to carry on,” Mussatto said.

Another question council will have to address is what to do with the remainder of the provincial grant, estimated at about $5.5 million.

In his letter to council, Minister of Tourism, Culture and the Arts, Kevin Krueger asked that the balance be put towards either the preservation of B.C. maritime history or other arts and culture initiatives.

Asked whether or not the city will actually be able to keep the money, Mussatto said, “My initial reading is that the money was given to us as a unconditional grant . . . its ours to keep as long as we use it for arts and cultural types of things, national maritime kinds of things.”

dpi@northshoreoutlook.com

Rusty Gull
Jan 15, 2010, 5:43 AM
I really think a waterslide park would be awesome in its place. Six Flags British Columbia!!!

Better yet: Cosco.

jlousa
Jan 15, 2010, 6:29 AM
I'm all for a water slide park too, how about the worlds longest water slide from the top of Grouse all the way down into the inlet, Hopefully you wouldn't need to wait for the guy ahead of you to finish before they let you go.:tup:

Sad to hear about the Maritime museum, maybe another time.

vancityrox
Jan 15, 2010, 6:34 AM
it would be awesome if they made a theme park on the pier...something like Santa Monica pier...with a huge Ferris wheel with lights that you can see from downtown.

since you mentioned Six flags...what are they waiting for! Buy out Playland and get us some sick rides like they did to La Ronde in Montreal. It was so crap until Six Flags bought it and brought in all their crazy rides! Cmon Vancouver!

hollywoodnorth
Jan 15, 2010, 7:23 AM
I'm all for a water slide park too, how about the worlds longest water slide from the top of Grouse all the way down into the inlet, Hopefully you wouldn't need to wait for the guy ahead of you to finish before they let you go.:tup:

hell ya and toss in a Ferris Wheel or 3 ;) Maybe add in the White Caps Stadium and a new Skytrain Expansion. And yes we can toss in a Costco and new North Show bus depot while we are at it too if you wish :cheers: :tup:

djh
Jan 15, 2010, 7:43 AM
hell ya and toss in a Ferris Wheel or 3 ;) Maybe add in the White Caps Stadium and a new Skytrain Expansion. And yes we can toss in a Costco and new North Show bus depot while we are at it too if you wish :cheers: :tup:

...and that huge 1000ft Dalai Lama Centre can go there too!
Didn't the guy with the orange vest say this was all a go at City Hall already?

Pinion
Jan 15, 2010, 8:28 AM
hell ya and toss in a Ferris Wheel or 3 ;) Maybe add in the White Caps Stadium

Humm Bobby Lenarduzzi's office is in the same development across the street....

deasine
Jan 15, 2010, 8:42 AM
I'm sure there is no need to pump water up to the slides since the rain is enough to wash you down anyway =P

officedweller
Jan 15, 2010, 8:25 PM
I like the Ferris Wheel idea!

Smooth
Jan 15, 2010, 10:19 PM
Jlousa would have a great view of the ferris wheel from Woodwards.

whatnext
Jan 16, 2010, 7:25 PM
Truly a shame the NMC has been cancelled. One has to wonder if there's some revenge involved by Premier Petty for the criticism his government has taken from the arts & culture community for their draconian funding cuts.

Oh well, I guess we can still enjoy Gordo's upcoming two week party for rich folks. Who really cares about preserving our musty old history anyway.

Yume-sama
Jan 16, 2010, 7:30 PM
Truly a shame the NMC has been cancelled. One has to wonder if there's some revenge involved by Premier Petty for the criticism his government has taken from the arts & culture community for their draconian funding cuts.

Oh well, I guess we can still enjoy Gordo's upcoming two week party for rich folks. Who really cares about preserving our musty old history anyway.

Well, it's actually the NDP rich people party as they were the ones who formed the bid (with funding of $34 million) in 1999. But, history is never kind to them... is it?

Especially when they are against things they used to be for, just because the other side decided to be for it, too.

Could you imagine the spectacular Olympic mis-management and cost over runs if they were still in power?!?

whatnext
Jan 16, 2010, 7:54 PM
...Could you imagine the spectacular Olympic mis-management and cost over runs if they were still in power?!?

If the Convention Centre expansion isn't a stirling example of "spectacular mismanagement and cost overrun" then nothing is. :rolleyes:

Yume-sama
Jan 16, 2010, 7:58 PM
Any mis-management the Liberals can do, the NDP will do better ;) I think it's in their party constitution.

And we may get this Maritime museum (not likely) but we'd be without things like the Canada Line. :P

Rusty Gull
Jan 18, 2010, 3:25 AM
Ok, a waterslide starting at Grouse at ending in Burrard Inlet would be excellent. "Sky-to-Sea Waterslide". Amazing.

But really, I hope some Barnum and Bailey type comes to North Van and talks the locals into something big for that site - whether it's a waterslide, a (gasp!) ferris wheel, or the world's coolest mini-putt course (with a maritime flavour, of course).

I absolutely love the idea mentioned about making the site into a Santa Monica Pier.

mr.x
Jan 18, 2010, 5:24 AM
Has the City of Vancouver signed on to handing over its exhibits and artifacts to the municipality of North Vancouver? Because the success of any NMC proposal at Lonsdale is dependent on that, and I couldn't see how the City of Vancouver would willingly hand over ownership.

Perhaps, a Downtown Vancouver site for the NMC should be re-explored...suggestion: if the Art Gallery isn't interested in using Campbell's allotted land at False Creek....

CameronT120
Jan 26, 2010, 5:30 PM
But really, I hope some Barnum and Bailey type comes to North Van and talks the locals into something big for that site -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw

I couldn't resist.

Pinion
Jan 28, 2010, 3:58 AM
Has the City of Vancouver signed on to handing over its exhibits and artifacts to the municipality of North Vancouver? Because the success of any NMC proposal at Lonsdale is dependent on that, and I couldn't see how the City of Vancouver would willingly hand over ownership.

Perhaps, a Downtown Vancouver site for the NMC should be re-explored...suggestion: if the Art Gallery isn't interested in using Campbell's allotted land at False Creek....

1. It's the City of North Vancouver. Municipality is different.

2. The Vancouver museum was supposed to shut down, so they were apparently a-ok with their stuff having a home.

The Edgewater Casino site would be a good location for that though, I agree.

officedweller
Jan 28, 2010, 6:41 AM
although it would nice to have a site that tall ships could visit.