PDA

View Full Version : PHILADELPHIA | Parkway22 | 407 FT / 124 M (I) | 187 FT / 57 M (II) | NEVER BUILT

Pages : [1] 2

Swinefeld
Sep 25, 2007, 3:58 PM
Parkway 22

Usage: Residential

Tower I
Height: 407' (124 meters) Floors: 35

Tower II
Height: 187' (57 meters) Floors: 16

Architects: Burt Hill Architects
Developers: V&H Hotel Associates (an affiliate of Naveh-Shuster)
Estimated Cost: $300,000,000
Units/Prices: 254 units
• Condominiums from mid $300,000s
• Lofts from upper $300,000s
• Townhomes from mid-$800,000s
Groundbreaking: November 2007
Completion: 2009
Amenities/Features:
• 24 hour concierge
• Restaurant with outdoor seating
• State-of-the-art wellness center
* Indoor swimming pool with hot tub
• High ceilings
• Stainless steel appliances
• Full-size washers and dryers

Trivia:
• The first name for the project was the Barnes Tower in recognition of the priceless Albert Barnes art collection that will eventually move to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
• Originally planned to be 100' taller, the uproar from the local communities of Fairmount and Spring Garden forced the developer to scale down the project from a single tall tower to two shorter towers. Increased traffic and shadows were the main complaints.

Images

Future site (Currently the Best Western Hotel)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/9_22_Parkway22_01.jpg

Full page ad
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/parkway22_Front.jpg

Interior views
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/Int1.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/Int2.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/Int3.jpg

Renderings from Burt Hill Architects
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/76241687.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/76241689.jpg http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/76183801.jpg

View showing new shorter tower (dark blue) in relation to proposed Barnes Tower
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Parkway22/76183798.jpg

Renderings of the rejected Barnes Tower proposal.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Miscellanious/tower03.jpg http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Miscellanious/tower02.jpg

Aerial view of rejected Barnes Tower proposal.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/Swinefeld/Miscellanious/tower00.jpg

Lincolndrive
Sep 25, 2007, 6:11 PM
Nice job Swiny. Thanks

Wheelingman04
Sep 25, 2007, 8:18 PM
Thanks for posting this.:tup:

Lecom
Sep 25, 2007, 8:44 PM
A decent addition to a neighborhood that would be much greater if it had less pointless open spaces and occupied sites that are just about as pointless (such as this one).

sharkfood
Sep 25, 2007, 8:46 PM
I'm voting this project as "the project most likely to go into construction next in Philadelphia."

It is being marketed quite heavily. More so than Mandeville, 1706 Rittenhouse, or any of the other proposals which have not started construction. To me, this is a sign that the developers are serious.

In addition, it was reported I think in the Philadelphia Business Journal that some construction firm had already been hire to handle "pre-construction work." (Maybe that means demolition and site preparation.)

The first signal we should watch for, of course, is the closing of the Best Western Inn. Remember when the Budget Rent-A-Car closed for Murano and fencing went up around the site. That's what we should watch for.

BigDan35
Sep 26, 2007, 4:51 AM
Doesn't look bad. A little plain maybe...but not bad. Of course, it's a new project and of decent height (406 feet) so I welcome it. But why was the taller Barnes Tower rejected?

theWatusi
Sep 26, 2007, 4:55 AM
But why was the taller Barnes Tower rejected?

The dreaded shadows! :uhh:

CondoGuru
Sep 28, 2007, 7:25 PM
It looks like a beautiful project but my only skepticism is its likelihood of actually being built with such unrealistically low prices. Construction costs have risen so dramatically in the last three years which is why so many other projects got canned. They can't sell units for less than what it costs to build them, that's obvious. 10 Rittenhouse had to start over because they undersold several units. They had to kill some contracts, reconfigure and reprice the building altogether. They're using the Marketing Directors from New York to manage their on-site sales and marketing now because they couldn't do it effectively on their own or with local brokers. Look around at the what? 3 or 4 highrises under construction, and you see starting prices well above $500K for a very good reason. Most of these buildings if they had to start over again, would never have been built today unless their prices were far higher to cover such increases in today's construction costs. Remember 1919 Market and how everyone went apeshit over 1BR + Dens for $250K? How'd that turn out? While it's a lovely idea to think one can get a new highrise condo for $360K, I just don't see how it's possible. Unless of course, you believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

phillyskyline
Sep 28, 2007, 11:34 PM
I'm not feeling this typical boxy project....

Swinefeld
Sep 29, 2007, 2:55 PM
While it's a lovely idea to think one can get a new highrise condo for $360K, I just don't see how it's possible. Unless of course, you believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.
Starting at $369,000. There's no mention of how high the prices go. That $369,000 price might be for a one bedroom on a low floor overlooking a parking lot. All the rest of the units are probably much higher.

Plompy Lfeata
Sep 29, 2007, 5:03 PM
it seems like i first heard about this only a few monthes ago, and now ground breaking is set for november. im glad to see this will actually come to fruition. the continuing construction in philly is amazing, i look forward to see this tower start construction!

CondoGuru
Sep 29, 2007, 10:28 PM
Starting at $369,000. There's no mention of how high the prices go. That $369,000 price might be for a one bedroom on a low floor overlooking a parking lot. All the rest of the units are probably much higher.

I went in there this weekend and the saleswoman stated clearly and openly that they have to sell at least 30% of the units before they can get financing and start construction. She said they have 4 reservations after two weeks of previews and their official opening of sales will start October 15th. If you believe that they can sell 90 units between now and some speculative November groundbreaking, then believing in Santa Claus isn't such a leap. When I bought my unit at American Loft, the sales center was full and they did like 12 reservations in one day! I just don't see the momentum and excitement behind this that's necessary for them to hit that financing target.

volguus zildrohar
Oct 4, 2007, 3:27 AM
CondoGuru, I don't know if I've asked you this before but would you call speculation a problem in Philadelphia's condo market at the level of this project? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the reason there's the glut of such housing in places like Miami now?

There was a time about two years ago or so, as I'm sure you're aware, that literally a week didn't go by without a large scale condo being announced somewhere. The difference between Philadelphia and many other cities is that the big projects here never got built. Does it seem like speculators are jumping in on this city since the crash didn't hit us so hard? I hate sounding so amateurish but it's been on my mind.

CondoGuru
Oct 4, 2007, 6:35 PM
CondoGuru, I don't know if I've asked you this before but would you call speculation a problem in Philadelphia's condo market at the level of this project? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the reason there's the glut of such housing in places like Miami now?

There was a time about two years ago or so, as I'm sure you're aware, that literally a week didn't go by without a large scale condo being announced somewhere. The difference between Philadelphia and many other cities is that the big projects here never got built. Does it seem like speculators are jumping in on this city since the crash didn't hit us so hard? I hate sounding so amateurish but it's been on my mind.

Yes and no. The fact that there were NOT rampant speculative buyers flooding Philadelphia was the reason why most of the past proposals never got built. And thank God for that! Philadelphia buyers are 90% users, meaning they buy real estate to occupy as their primary residence. Miami's problem was that the vast majority of its buyers were speculators for whom they overbuilt. Speculators are typically not committed buyers and are usually subrime candidates. The oversupply down there is due to these speculators not getting loan approvals, defaulting on their contracts, and losing their deposits. When the market couldn't absorb the oversupply, speculators couldn't flip their contracts. Most developers in Philly with the exception of Waterfront Square, never allowed reassignment of contracts in order to discourage that speculative investor from buying. Philadelphia has not seen any of this due to the demographic of its buyers. We're very conservative here and the psychology of buyers is completely different. It's entirely possible that Parkway 22 may very well happen, it's just not going to happen as soon as they claim. If the developer is totally committed and they get construction financing, it will rise. The cost of construction will only ever go up, so for a building slated to be completed in 2010 or more likely 2011, the market may be very different by then and will most certainly be on an upswing, making a new building like this more desirable. But if they undersell their units, getting financing will be tough, unless they dramatically raise their prices to cover the units they undersold. Putting down 10% or even 20% for a $369,000 unit that you won't have to close on until 2010 or 2011 is a no brainer. I just don't see how it can happen at such low numbers.

mja
Oct 6, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yes and no. The fact that there were NOT rampant speculative buyers flooding Philadelphia was the reason why most of the past proposals never got built. And thank God for that! Philadelphia buyers are 90% users, meaning they buy real estate to occupy as their primary residence. Miami's problem was that the vast majority of its buyers were speculators for whom they overbuilt. Speculators are typically not committed buyers and are usually subrime candidates. The oversupply down there is due to these speculators not getting loan approvals, defaulting on their contracts, and losing their deposits. When the market couldn't absorb the oversupply, speculators couldn't flip their contracts. Most developers in Philly with the exception of Waterfront Square, never allowed reassignment of contracts in order to discourage that speculative investor from buying. Philadelphia has not seen any of this due to the demographic of its buyers. We're very conservative here and the psychology of buyers is completely different. It's entirely possible that Parkway 22 may very well happen, it's just not going to happen as soon as they claim. If the developer is totally committed and they get construction financing, it will rise. The cost of construction will only ever go up, so for a building slated to be completed in 2010 or more likely 2011, the market may be very different by then and will most certainly be on an upswing, making a new building like this more desirable. But if they undersell their units, getting financing will be tough, unless they dramatically raise their prices to cover the units they undersold. Putting down 10% or even 20% for a $369,000 unit that you won't have to close on until 2010 or 2011 is a no brainer. I just don't see how it can happen at such low numbers.

The developer has owned this property for a very long time. The parcel cost them basically nothing. Perhaps this is why the price point is lower than some other projects?

CondoGuru
Oct 6, 2007, 6:34 PM
The land acquisition has very little to do with the cost per buildable square foot. The size and configuration of units, total square footage and supply contracts for materials and construction are what dominate the budget. If they presell their 90 or 100 units required to get construction financing, they have a choice. They can buy the building and its finishes, keeping the cost per buildable foot fixed. Or, they can offer multiple finish options and have open-ended contracts with their suppliers, which means the cost to acquire those finishes goes up quarterly until they place the orders and deliver deposits. Problem is, they can't submit orders until a buyer comes in and chooses, making a huge percentage of the building exponentially more expensive to build the longer it takes for customers to commit and choose their finishes. That's why it's better for a large ambitious project like this to pre-package its finishes, keeping the construction costs fixed. It's the only way to get a building of this size out of the ground.

sharkfood
Oct 11, 2007, 6:13 PM
There has been a drastic decline in residential construction in the United States in 2007. CondoGuru, how can you contend that this "softening" of the market is not having an effect on the cost of construction labor/materials?

CondoGuru
Oct 11, 2007, 7:46 PM
There has been a drastic decline in residential construction in the United States in 2007. CondoGuru, how can you contend that this "softening" of the market is not having an effect on the cost of construction labor/materials?

The softening of certain markets, not all of them, has virtually no effect on the costs of construction and materials. Remember, real estate is local, not national. The psychology of buyers is completely different from one region/city to another. Do the marble quarries in Carrera, Italy care that the real estate market in some US regions has softened? No. Do the oil/petroleum markets around the world give a crap that the real estate market has softened? No. Have they reduced the fuel prices so suppliers can ship their materials around the world at lower prices because the real estate market has softened? No. Have Unions reduced their wages because the real estate market has softened? No. If you believe that somehow the cost of construction will ever go down, and that developers need only wait until that occurrence to build skyscrapers at lower costs, we would never see a new building built again. Think about what you're saying, it has absolutely no plausibility whatsoever. The only reason a developer would hold off and wait to build a building is not that the costs of construction would ever go down, but that the market would be on an upswing again, distancing their price per buildable foot, comforably under the price per square foot they can command from their buyers. And currently, the way new highrise development works, the two are way too uncomfortably close for many projects to proceed.

skyscraper
Oct 12, 2007, 12:59 PM
From today's Globest.com:
http://www.globest.com/news/1012_1012/philadelphia/164918-1.html

Chrisb130
Oct 12, 2007, 2:06 PM
From today's Globest.com:
http://www.globest.com/news/1012_1012/philadelphia/164918-1.html

Great news, lets hope this thing gets off the ground asap, as the BW is a total eyesore and piece of garbage, I know I lived there for a year...(one half of the building was a Temple dorm for a while). Now the only thing that is left is removal of all the bums that drop anchor caddy corner to the BW at the Wawa.

CondoGuru
Oct 12, 2007, 3:49 PM
Again, approvals have nothing to do with whether or not a building will emerge. They need FINANCING. This will not happen unless they sell at least 30% of the units...hard deposits, NOT reservations. Mandeville Place is approved, no building, 1706 Rittenhouse is approved, still no building. This article, however, does shed a little bit of light on a more realistic timeframe. The developer has now stated in the article that a groundbreaking would take place in June 2008, not this November. This is actually quite plausible considering they need to sell roughly 100 units by then. They don't have condo docs or agreements in place for another 3 months according to their own sales agents. November is not even remotely a possibility. But next June certainly is. If they can't hit this target by then, there is no chance of this thing getting off the ground. So if you like this project, go BUY ONE!!!! :)

Parkway
Oct 25, 2007, 12:24 AM
Any news? Is there a timeframe for ground breaking, how many units are sold?

TheMeltyMan
Oct 25, 2007, 3:02 AM
Buildings can't talk.

skyscraper
Oct 25, 2007, 1:03 PM
Buildings can't talk.

is that a disappointment? were you expecting them to?

Parkway
Oct 25, 2007, 11:30 PM
To answer my own question It sounds like construction is to begin in june.
http://www.parkway22.com/

CondoGuru
Oct 26, 2007, 3:12 PM
Did anyone happen to attend Parkway 22's Renoir preview event at the Art Museum? It was a very stylish event with almost no mention of the project whatsoever. I was stunned. Ed Rendell must certainly have some kind of financial interest in this much like he did at Waterfront Square. Plenty of speeches and political posturing, but nothing about the building, its design, viability, sales, etc... I did enjoy the art and drinks however. Thanks guys!

skellergroup
Nov 21, 2007, 11:33 PM
I believe there will be an open house for this building at the sales center the first two weekends in DEC.

Just in case anybody is interested.

Parkway
Nov 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
I walked by the site over the weekend and the best western still looked open any time frame for Demo?
By the way check out the cool interactive rendering http://www.parkway22.com/

Swinefeld
Dec 17, 2007, 5:44 PM
Pricing for Parkway 22 is from $369,999 to 5.3 million.

Click here (http://www.parkway22.com/pricing.html) for more details.

SJPhillyBoy
Dec 18, 2007, 12:57 AM
Wow...3 bedroom, Units 3502 3145 sq. ft. Starting at $5,300,000.

Swinefeld
Jan 7, 2008, 3:08 PM
Her towering compromise

It started out looking like another Phila. development debacle, but Dalia Shuster found a way.
By Joseph A. Slobodzian
Inquirer Staff Writer

Sometime in June construction crews will break ground for Parkway22, a 35-story condominium complex behind the Rodin Museum that will recast the vista between the Art Museum and City Hall.
When plans for the luxury condo tower first became public two years ago, few people would have bet it would become reality.

Not Dalia Shuster.

"I'm very proud of the way we conducted this. We lost nothing," said Shuster, 50, CEO of her own international real estate development company, Naveh-Shuster.

Shuster describes the story of Parkway22 as an example of the patience and strategy needed by developers. It's a description that belies the toughness developed as a captain and commander of an otherwise all-male medical unit in the Israeli Army, and from 30 years in the male-dominated construction industry - the last decade as a widowed mother of three running an international company with interests in Israel, Eastern Europe and the United States.

Nor was the Parkway22 tale as simple as Shuster describes it.

Shuster overcame strong, early opposition from Spring Garden neighbors, including powerful Democratic state Sen. Vincent J. Fumo.

She weathered several contentious hearings before the city Zoning Board of Adjustment to obtain permits to develop a property her lawyers insisted she had an unquestionable right to build on under current zoning.

And she spent another year - and a half-million dollars - so her architects could modify the tower's plans after consulting with a local architects living in Spring Garden.

The result was a tower 12 stories shorter than originally proposed, along with a mix of lofts and a row of Victorian-style townhouses on Spring Garden Street - and community acceptance instead of time-consuming litigation.

"She really surprised me very, very much," said Joseph Beller, a lawyer who has specialized in zoning for more than four decades.

Hired by Spring Garden civic groups and residents to challenge Shuster's plans, Beller ended up joining Shuster's attorney, Neil Sklaroff, to present city officials with a "global settlement" of the dispute.

Beller said he was surprised when Shuster suggested that he, Sklaroff and architects for both sides meet and come up with a compromise.

"I've been doing this for more than 40 years and I can tell you that not many developers would be able to step back and let the professionals handle it," Beller said. "She is a strong woman and it takes a strong person to stop, put the car in reverse and decide to take a new route."

Shuster jokes about her decision to step away from the Spring Garden talks.

"Lawyers, please be to God, keep me far from them," she laughed in accented English.

Shuster said that at that first community meeting in March 2006, she put aside the anger being directed toward her development team and listened to what was being said.

"I said to myself, 'Dalia, this is only a political issue. There's no other reason to object to this project.' What looks better, an old hotel or new development that much enhanced the site?"

If Beller was surprised by Shuster's methodical, "laid-back" attitude, it seems very much part of the approach of a very long-term investor.

Consider the Best Western Motel property - site of the Parkway22 complex - which Shuster bought for $2.75 million in October 1993, long before the Center City Renaissance and almost four years before the real estate-tax abatement program for new construction that helped spark Philadelphia's building boom.

"When we purchased this hotel, not many people, investors, believed in Philadelphia," said Shuster, in a recent interview at the Parkway22 sales office carved out of the motel property. "No tax abatement, no bonuses. We come with our vision and our belief. . . . We bring ourselves, we invest our money."

Shuster says she and her late husband, Zvi, bought the motel always intending to develop it as a condo tower - even if they had to wait for Philadelphia and the real estate market to catch up.

In the meantime, Shuster said, she invested $1.6 million to upgrade the property and make it an income-generator.

It's a strategy Shuster has practiced elsewhere.

With her family in construction, Shuster said she and her husband - he died in 1998 - founded their own real estate development firm 30 years ago in Tel Aviv.

After 10 years, she said, they decided to try investing abroad, focusing on the United States.

"We believed in the United States economy . . . and we have a lot of respect for the American support of the Israelis. So our first thought was to invest in a friendly country," Shuster explained.

They began their quest in 1988 more like a young couple looking for their first house than international investors: They rented a car, started driving and made notes on properties that interested them.

But the Shusters didn't buy a thing until 1993.

"Some American people started to laugh: 'You just spend your time and you don't pick nothing,' " Shuster recalled.

But in 1993 the years of research paid off and the Shusters bought properties in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Philadelphia.

Philadelphia, she said, seemed like a natural place to invest because of its links to U.S. history and location midway between New York and Washington.

Among the Philadelphia purchases: the Best Western motel; a 160-unit apartment complex, Townhomes of Regency Place on Woodhaven Road in the Northeast; and an old clothing factory at 1238 Callowhill St.

In the late '90s the factory was converted into 64 condos and renamed the Beaux Arts Lofts, then the first residential growth in years in the old industrial zone east of Broad Street between Spring Garden and Vine.

"In that time nobody believed, or even knew what the loft look was," Shuster added. "But it was very great project and very profitable."

Shuster has three grown children: a 27-year old daughter who is a lawyer, a daughter, 25, and a son, 23, who are both in school. All three are likely to follow her into the business in some way.

Since Zvi's death, Shuster's firm, by all accounts, has prospered, developing luxury condominiums and nursing homes in Israel and Eastern Europe.

Shuster said she credits much of her leadership skills to the two years she spent in the Israeli Army in the mid-1960s, when she was a captain in an otherwise all-male medical unit.

The experience, she said, cultivated a sense of adventure and risk-taking that coalesced on her first visit to New York in 1988, when she went to Nike's flagship store.

"It was a very nice advertising film. And in the end, with all the high-volume music around, was 'Just do it!' "

"I will never forget this moment in my life," Shuster said. "I said, 'Dalia, if you believe, just do it.' "

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/13495052.html

BigDan35
Jan 8, 2008, 4:36 PM
Let's hope, come June, the construction stays on schedule and this building actually does get built. Also, is the 2nd tower (187 feet) going to be built as well? The article just mentioned the taller tower.

tua21506
Jan 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
just a picture of the sales office. http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1000714.jpghttp://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1000713.jpg
I shot this today

Ninjawho
Mar 16, 2008, 10:49 PM
Brad, (phillyskyline.com), is reporting that demolition is going to start on 22nd and Spring Garden sometime this week...so its a moving forward...

Dallas
Mar 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
Wow !!!! Philly is blowing up!!!!!

Pennsgrant
Mar 16, 2008, 11:44 PM
This tower would have been 10 stories higher if Fumos ticker acted up 2 years earlier.

tua21506
Mar 31, 2008, 9:23 PM
From today....maybe its demo time?????
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1010105-1.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1010104.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1010106.jpg

kraggman
Mar 31, 2008, 9:44 PM
:banana:

James2390
Mar 31, 2008, 9:47 PM
This is a really cool one. I like how it's situated on its lot. Does this look over the freeway?

Johnland
Mar 31, 2008, 9:49 PM
From today....maybe its demo time?????
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1010105-1.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1010104.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/tua21506/P1010106.jpg

Man, it is sooo demo time for that thing!! Even if they never build the highrise, just eradicate that eyesore. I never realized just how awful the motel really is.

And on a lighter note....doesn't that 'emblem' of Ben Franklin stuck on the brick wall look hilarious. It's as if they pulled motel construction plan D-12 off the shelf, and then said, oh wait, this particular unit will be developed in Philadelphia, grab gew-gaw L-31 and stick it on the side. You gotta wonder what people are thinking. Like, whoever decided the on the red plastic mansard roof stick-on for 7-11's?

adrgtr8
Apr 1, 2008, 5:06 AM
I always like the Ben Franklin there. The rest of the building can go. I'm not a huge fan of this tower, although the height this far north is nice. All the low-rise residential units at the bottom look nice though. It should contribute to the neighborhood vibe with rowhouses on the same block.

Orion1
Apr 1, 2008, 7:02 AM
Johnland

The Franklin placard is a left over from the hotel's previous life as the Franklin Motor Inn....

skellergroup
Apr 1, 2008, 1:37 PM
This demo was planned many moons ago regardless if they build or not.

Hopefully it will get built. It will really spark some more life in that area.

I like this development a lot.

sharkfood
Apr 1, 2008, 8:52 PM
I noticed in one of their ads they said demolition would begin March 2008.

I have a lot of confidence this is really going to happen for two reasons:

1. It's being very aggressively advertised and marketed.

2. The developers bought the land on the cheap in 1993 and are not saddled with 2007 land prices.

Johnland
Apr 1, 2008, 10:53 PM
Johnland

The Franklin placard is a left over from the hotel's previous life as the Franklin Motor Inn....

Well that makes a little more sense now.

GarCastle
Apr 2, 2008, 5:53 PM
They really should hide that Parkway 22 sign until the old building is gone. It doesn't exactly appear to be the Art Of Living or whatever their slogan is lol.

Here's a good policy for NIMBY's. If they become obstructive, just start going "old school" and use dynamite to do the prep work. While "waterless" urinals may not be in the antiquated crap Philly construction code, I'm sure Dynamite is still there!

BuildItUp
Apr 3, 2008, 4:14 AM
I noticed in one of their ads they said demolition would begin March 2008.

I have a lot of confidence this is really going to happen for two reasons:

1. It's being very aggressively advertised and marketed.

2. The developers bought the land on the cheap in 1993 and are not saddled with 2007 land prices.

Do we know whether or not they have secure any financing for this project? Its going be awfully tough obtain financings now if they have not already done so. I hope it gets built to add more density to our skyline.

highdensity32
Apr 3, 2008, 2:29 PM
Do we know whether or not they have secure any financing for this project? Its going be awfully tough obtain financings now if they have not already done so. I hope it gets built to add more density to our skyline.

If a developer has the cash, they can begin demolition and site work before financing is committed by a lender. This is a bit of a gamble, but it speeds up the process and shows prospective buyers that the project is in process. It's a tough market out there for large scale residential construction financing, they will have their work cut out for them.

adrgtr8
Apr 4, 2008, 2:58 AM
I bet this project gets built. If you remember the article in the Inquirer about the woman behind this, it seemed like they were pretty committed to getting this done. If I remember correctly, she and her husband came from Israel and spent like ten years scoping out the perfect property in the city to build on. Sooner or later I bet this goes up.

saltwaterking
Apr 4, 2008, 12:22 PM
It's getting built. I heard Petrini got the concrete contract. It is just a matter of time...who knows when they will start.

volguus zildrohar
Apr 6, 2008, 2:37 AM
It appears demolition is about to begin. The tarped fences have been up around the 22nd Street building since Tuesday and there's various contractor equipment around the site.

bryson662001
Apr 11, 2008, 1:35 PM
It appears demolition is about to begin. The tarped fences have been up around the 22nd Street building since Tuesday and there's various contractor equipment around the site.
I love demolition. It does seem odd though that there haven't been protests. The historic Franklin Motor Inn? I'll bet it's close to fifty years old. How did this slip past Inga?

skyscraper
Apr 11, 2008, 1:54 PM
I love demolition. It does seem odd though that there haven't been protests. The historic Franklin Motor Inn? I'll bet it's close to fifty years old. How did this slip past Inga?

she's busy dodging construction fences on sidewalks. she doesn't concern herself with what's happening behind the fences, just the fences themselves.

donybrx
Apr 11, 2008, 2:14 PM
It's always just great to check into a thread expecting something of maybe minimal consequence and finding even more useless Inga snark/resentment on top of what already exists as worn out overkill.....

Thanks to VZ for something worthwhile.....

skyscraper
Apr 11, 2008, 2:32 PM
It's always just great to check into a thread expecting something of maybe minimal consequence and finding even more useless Inga snark/resentment on top of what already exists as worn out overkill.....

Thanks to VZ for something worthwhile.....

can't help it. Fridays are prime days for that.

Don098
Apr 11, 2008, 3:23 PM

You should marry Inga

BuildItUp
Apr 11, 2008, 8:19 PM
You should marry Inga

Careful ... those are fighting words :)

bucks native
Apr 12, 2008, 12:31 PM
Skyscraper, this is just for you:

Fri, Apr. 11, 2008

Inquirer's Saffron Pulitzer finalist

Inga Saffron, The Inquirer's architecture critic, was honored as a finalist for the 2008 Pulitzer Prize in criticism.

In announcing the prizes Monday, the Pulitzer board cited Saffron for "her forceful critiques that illuminate the vital interplay between architecture and the life of her city." The prize was won by Mark Feeney, a visual-arts critic for the Boston Globe; the other finalist was Ann Hornaday of the Washington Post.

This is the second time Saffron has been short-listed for journalism's top prize. She was also a finalist in criticism in 2004.

http://media.philly.com/images/20080411_inq_sky11-d.JPG

Ninjawho
Apr 13, 2008, 1:04 AM
Ain't she a looker!

BigDan35
Apr 13, 2008, 4:49 AM
Not in a good way

kraggman
Apr 13, 2008, 9:48 AM
I'd hit it ...... :haha:

http://media.philly.com/images/20080411_inq_sky11-d.JPG

bucks native
Apr 13, 2008, 3:32 PM
[QUOTE=kraggman;3481834]I'd hit it ...... :haha:

With what?

bucks native
Apr 13, 2008, 3:36 PM
error

theWatusi
Apr 13, 2008, 5:14 PM
With what?

How about a medieval "quad" battle mace? :D

http://www.kingofswords.com/images/WoodQuadMace.jpg

Ninjawho
Apr 13, 2008, 7:25 PM
Is there a reason her head shot looks like it was taken in 1965?

NDPhilly
Apr 13, 2008, 8:25 PM
Did this get started

theWatusi
Apr 13, 2008, 8:52 PM

It was. She is now almost 95 years old.

donybrx
Apr 13, 2008, 8:59 PM

good to know. I can update my ignore list so as to pretend that most forumers are good natured enough to stay on topic for the most part or at least not be be chronically hissy.....

kraggman
Apr 13, 2008, 9:05 PM

The last time she looked human.

thewatusi ... your post ... hilarious :haha:

Chazly7
Apr 14, 2008, 12:04 AM
I was by the site today and have a few questions. Is the Best Western two buildings or one, and are both coming down for this project? Also, across the street there is a hideous 'hole' filled with litter and cop cars. I noticed what looked like new pillars standing upright along the perimeter. Is this area getting 'capped'? Hopefully it does... I think this project will be stunning in that locale and I look forward to some demo...

theWatusi
Apr 14, 2008, 12:46 AM
Also, across the street there is a hideous 'hole' filled with litter and cop cars.

That is the portal to the now unused Pennsylvania Ave subway.

Maybe someday the old ROW could be used for a Center City- NE/Boulevard via the Art Museum transit line.

One could only dream

skellergroup
Apr 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
I was by the site today and have a few questions. Is the Best Western two buildings or one, and are both coming down for this project? Also, across the street there is a hideous 'hole' filled with litter and cop cars. I noticed what looked like new pillars standing upright along the perimeter. Is this area getting 'capped'? Hopefully it does... I think this project will be stunning in that locale and I look forward to some demo...

There are two buildings. One was always going to be demolished regardless if they build the tower or not. So the pr on this is also marketing.

That said, I hope they are close to meeting their goal to build. I like this project a lot. It should do wonders for that area.

Don't know about the hole.

KSchwa
Apr 15, 2008, 7:31 PM
Figure I would pop on in to give some words on that "hole" you speak of, as it comes up once in a while.

Back last year there was plans for a condo building, 12ish stories I believe, to be called the Rodin Towers/Residences at the Rodin. It went even as far as being presented to the Logan Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA), where it met a lukewarm (in relative terms) response.

It was never meant to be from the start. The plans were to build ultra-high end, near-million-dollar condos, with one condo per floor (as I recall). I'm sure if you google it you may find further information in regards to it.

The developer, whom Darrell Clarke (our Councilman) had told me is a "good guy", was required to show L&I that he was serious about his project or else they would revoke his building permit [Note - this is information I rec'd from multiple neighborhood leaders and may not be factual]. Therefore, the area was dug up, cop cars displaced, the old rustic fence along Hamilton was broken up, and maybe a dozen support beams went in over the course of a month or so.
A trailer took up the south part of the street for what I can only guess was the better part of five months, collecting trash and weeds.

As adamant as people in this neighborhood get over shadows, apparently there was fairly little pushback on the rusting trailer blocking a feeder to an already horrible traffic/pedestrian intersection. My biggest regret is that they destroyed the old rusting fence that I thought held a lot of character until they replaced eight foot portions with cheap mesh. The hole within a hole is filled with stagnant water which will no doubt be a great asset to the neighborhood once summer comes.

No, it will not be capped. I'd bank on that. And the Reading Railroad ROW (the "hole") is unimpeded due to it, as moot as that is, if you were curious. Skeller's right about the Best Western, as far as I know.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p219/KennethSchwartz/IMG_9849-1.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p219/KennethSchwartz/IMG_9835-1.jpg

Chazly7
Apr 16, 2008, 6:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys... It's ashame it won't be capped, but I'm fascinated to learn of its railroad roots.

bucks native
Apr 16, 2008, 10:07 AM
Did this get started

Why, yes, it did. Go to page 1, it started there.

bucks native
Apr 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info guys... It's ashame it won't be capped, but I'm fascinated to learn of its railroad roots.

The plans for the Schuylkill Valley Metro use that line to come into town. Google it, there's a map.

theWatusi
Apr 16, 2008, 11:07 AM

http://www.sewerhistory.org/grfx/wh_region/us_penn.htm

http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/strange-wonderful-places/31384-pennsylvania-avenue-subway.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_Railroad

enjoy :)

NDPhilly
Apr 17, 2008, 11:05 PM
someone get a picture of the construction site cause i`m out in West Chester

BigDan35
Apr 18, 2008, 2:04 AM

Good. Now we have a location on this guy. Give us some more info please.

Don098
Apr 18, 2008, 3:51 AM

How bout a "please", ass

BuildItUp
Apr 18, 2008, 4:13 AM
Good. Now we have a location on this guy. Give us some more info please.
Dude, you cracked me up :haha: and for the record you have every right to complain about him.

theWatusi
Apr 27, 2008, 8:29 PM
from yesterday morning:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/RobGerhart/SBTIqDAatTI/AAAAAAAAA0c/08TcoYeZUMg/s800/IMG_0621.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/RobGerhart/SBTIqjAatUI/AAAAAAAAA0k/7wVxrPI0EuI/s800/IMG_0622.jpg
some demo equiptment on site
http://lh3.ggpht.com/RobGerhart/SBTIrDAatVI/AAAAAAAAA0s/Fcs1e4DaPbc/s800/IMG_0623.jpg

the hole across the street from 22 Parkway(and behind the Rodan museum) This is the former RDG Pennsylvania Ave subway
http://lh4.ggpht.com/RobGerhart/SBTImTAatOI/AAAAAAAAAz0/vtgXTm4Rwuo/s800/IMG_0616.jpg
old new construction
http://lh3.ggpht.com/RobGerhart/SBTIoDAatQI/AAAAAAAAA0E/xiqI7BG0g2E/s800/IMG_0618.jpg
the portal
http://lh5.ggpht.com/RobGerhart/SBTIpjAatSI/AAAAAAAAA0U/5eRe4NhJ8xY/s800/IMG_0620.jpg

hammersklavier
Apr 27, 2008, 11:12 PM
Wait a minute...

The ex-B&O (now CSX) Royal Blue line disappears into a tunnel just off Eakins Oval near the skate park-to-be. theWatusi's picture shows a tunnel portal with paving over an abandoned line. Now I know the Royal Blue line is the key D.C.-to-New York freight main these days, but I thought that the northern portal is also on Pennsylvania Avenue. If it's not that one, where is it?

theWatusi
Apr 28, 2008, 12:07 AM
the ex-B&O line you are refering to (that runs along the Schukill River Park) interlocks with the ex-RDG line inside the subway. Originally this was an interchange and terminus of the B&O. The RDG line started at the Reading terminal, breaking off the main and headed West just North of Callowhill St-desended below grade not to emerge until 27th&Penna. Ave.

see the inset on the lower left
http://www.ubuyvacations.com/images2/PhiladelphiaZooMap.jpg

hammersklavier
Apr 28, 2008, 2:44 AM
This is all well and good, but the question I have is to why this particular portal looks abandoned. Is it at the RDG south end of the Penna. Ave tunnel?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/RobGerhart/SBTIpjAatSI/AAAAAAAAA0U/5eRe4NhJ8xY/s800/IMG_0620.jpg

theWatusi
Apr 28, 2008, 10:32 AM
This is all well and good, but the question I have is to why this particular portal looks abandoned. Is it at the RDG south end of the Penna. Ave tunnel?

yep, you got it. :tup:

skellergroup
May 2, 2008, 3:32 PM
Does anybody know if they did the demo yet and if so...does anybody have pics?

They should have a good idea now if they are going to build or not. Nice to see there is still a good media spend.

Saw an ad in Philly mag again.

theWatusi
May 2, 2008, 6:29 PM
it was reported in the Philly thread this week that they have started demo on the North hotel building.

sharkfood
May 8, 2008, 12:35 PM
Sorry, kids. This morning's Inquirer is reporting that Parkway22 is suspending all sales activity due to uncertain market conditions. Sales will resume when market conditions improve. Site preparation will continue in the meantime.

Swinefeld
May 8, 2008, 1:28 PM
Yup.

The sales center for Parkway22, a planned 35-story condominium complex behind the Rodin Museum, will suspend activities tomorrow because of "uncertain market conditions," according to the developer, V&H Hotel Associates. Dalia Shuster, longtime owner of the property and Parkway22 principal, said the sales center would be back in action when market conditions returned to normal. In the meantime, she said, design and site preparation would continue.

- Harold Brubaker

theWatusi
May 8, 2008, 5:13 PM
Site preparation will continue in the meantime.

You know what that means:

Another parking lot :banana:

hammersklavier
May 8, 2008, 9:45 PM
One of the flattest highrises ever built :rolleyes:

The city has too many of 'em IMHO.

Waste of a good hotel, too.

christof
Aug 4, 2008, 11:42 PM
Is this project going forward or is it dead?

McBane
Aug 6, 2008, 2:48 PM
Is this project going forward or is it dead?

Are you a second coming of NDPhilly?

Christof, we are a very enthusiastic bunch and the slightest rumor or media blurb always gets us buzzing - trust me, no news goes unnoticed. That said, if nobody has posted in a thread, then no need to ask for updates or if a project is moving forward. The last posts in this thread are 3 months old and clearly state that this project is on hold.

Nothing crushes the hopes of skyscraper geeks more than reading a new post that says, "Any updates?" in an otherwise long-dead thread.

christof
Aug 6, 2008, 6:05 PM
Hey Man:

Didn't mean to crush your hopes and dreams. Actually, I was hoping for some good news on this project.

Ninjawho
Aug 8, 2008, 1:36 AM
Are you a second coming of NDPhilly?

No, he's much too articulate for that...

hammersklavier
Aug 15, 2008, 8:26 PM
Since the last I heard was this project's going to be delayed a la Bridgeman's View, shouldn't it be in the Delayed, Never-Built, and Visionary forum a la Bridgeman's View?

BuildItUp
Aug 30, 2008, 12:03 AM
Since the last I heard was this project's going to be delayed a la Bridgeman's View, shouldn't it be in the Delayed, Never-Built, and Visionary forum a la Bridgeman's View?
I think this project along with Bridgeman's View is following the path of the Do-Do bird .... oops bad analogy, at least the Do-Do existed at one point or another....

highdensity32
Sep 1, 2008, 3:44 AM
The demolished portion of the hotel has been paved over and replaced with a parking lot.

rricci
Feb 10, 2009, 12:06 AM
There is a Logan Square neighborhood meeting tomorrow and Neil Sklaroff is on the agenda to present a 'revised' proposal for Parkway 22. I would love to see this break ground.