PDA

View Full Version : potential move to St. John's

HomeInMyShoes
Aug 27, 2007, 5:57 PM
As if I haven't moved enough in my life, I might be moving to The Rock. No timeline yet and no decision yet, but my fiancee has a job offer right now. So, I've got some questions for anyone that might have any advice.

I.T.? Is there anything happening in the Information Technology industry in St. John's? I know my company isn't doing anything there (which is a shame, since I've been with them for 12 years, but maybe it's time for a change anyway.) I've got decent skills: .Net, VB, C#, databases (Oracle and SQLServer), HTML and a pile of experience in business analysis, design and development.

Homes? What kinds of issues do homes have in St. John's. In Regina, it's basements and water damage. What should I be looking for when and if we look for a home? What are some good locations (area names) to buy a home (walking distance, or at least easy access to Memorial University is high on the list or requirements)? Are there any areas to avoid?

Rentals? Is this an option? What is the rental market like? Are rentals likely to allow or disallow pets (we have a cat)?

Smoking? Any smoking bylaws? I dislike second-hand smoke a lot and am wondering if I'm taking a hit moving from a place with strict laws.

Memorial? I know it's a good school, I had some friends who went there, but is it a good school for Geography/GIS? It seems like it based on doing some reading and I might try to pursue the certificate program in GIS while in St. John's if job opportunities are slim in my field and we're going to be there for a few years.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

kwajo
Aug 27, 2007, 7:22 PM
I'll be able to answer you better in about 5 days when I move there myself, but I will say that it is interesting that you mention Geography/GIS at Memorial since I'm starting my Masters in Geography there next week.

Small world isn't it?

PostModernPrometheus
Aug 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
Homes? What kinds of issues do homes have in St. John's. In Regina, it's basements and water damage. What should I be looking for when and if we look for a home? What are some good locations (area names) to buy a home (walking distance, or at least easy access to Memorial University is high on the list or requirements)? Are there any areas to avoid?

Rentals? Is this an option? What is the rental market like? Are rentals likely to allow or disallow pets (we have a cat)?

Smoking? Any smoking bylaws? I dislike second-hand smoke a lot and am wondering if I'm taking a hit moving from a place with strict laws.

Memorial? I know it's a good school, I had some friends who went there, but is it a good school for Geography/GIS? It seems like it based on doing some reading and I might try to pursue the certificate program in GIS while in St. John's if job opportunities are slim in my field and we're going to be there for a few years.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I lived in STJ NL for 5 years; The winters are potentially brutal (no sun for weeks, more snow than I've seen in a winter than anywhere else a few years back) - get a good set of 4 studded snow tires. Buy a snowblower....this works well until the banks are over 8-10 feet, and then the blower is useless too LOL

Weather is very chaotic...if the fog rolls in or theres a nice blizzard, flights get cancelled for 2,3 or 4 days on end....take this into account when planning trips...BUY CANCELLATION INSURANCE.....

The rental market isnt too bad...lots of places close to the University, but rental prices are a little inflated given the fact that Atlantic Canada's largest UNiversity is there.....lots of people build their houses in STJ NL in such a fashion that there's an apartment available to rent in them.....Walking distance --> anything around the avalon mall area, or the west end of elizabeth avenue / Empire avenue. avoid rabbit town. 5 min drive....lots of options (Cowan heights is pretty decent)....your chances for cats are pretty good...dogs, more iffy. *** If you get a place downtown, be aware that parking is by permit, and it can be a pain in the winter unless the place has off street.

stjohns.kijiji.ca has a lot of offers, as does the local paper (thetelegram.com)

I think a smoking bylaw went into effect last year in the bars/restaurants.

Buy a snowblower.

Buy 4 good snow tires.

Buy a raincoat / survival suit.

Hope this helps.

Architype
Aug 28, 2007, 2:30 AM
Real estate is expected to increase in value. Rumours are that developments which were on hold will now proceed since the Hebron announcement. I think it is cheap right now; you can still get a decent small house in a central location for around $150,000 and up. The weather is invigorating to say the least, and is nice this time of year - people who have spent their lives here say that the weather has been a bit abnormal lately - to be fair; other places in Canada get lots of snow too, like Charlottetown and Quebec.

HomeInMyShoes
Aug 28, 2007, 6:23 PM
Awesome info.

I've been psyching myself up for the snow and Canada's least sunny climate.

Snowblower. Check. Studs. Damn. You're serious about the studs? I'll have to get some winter rims at the least.

I've been checking CBC's local Newfoundland coverage and The Telegraph for the past couple of weeks to see what's up. Good to hear places to avoid as well as places to stay. We'll probably be buying as opposed to renting.

Good luck with the move kwajo. I was hoping for a November move for my spouse and a January move for me (finish up some project commitments without leaving people hanging), but it might be sooner.

PostModernPrometheus
Aug 30, 2007, 12:31 AM
Real estate is expected to increase in value. Rumours are that developments which were on hold will now proceed since the Hebron announcement. I think it is cheap right now; you can still get a decent small house in a central location for around $150,000 and up. The weather is invigorating to say the least, and is nice this time of year - people who have spent their lives here say that the weather has been a bit abnormal lately - to be fair; other places in Canada get lots of snow too, like Charlottetown and Quebec.

I agree - I didnt mean to come off sounding harsh on my post re: the weather....it is true that the past few years have been abnormally bizarre/ unpredictablein terms of the weather....i just didnt live there in the "good old days" lol

Canasian
Sep 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
Heck, this will be my first winter here too, as I moved here in May- and I live downtown on Prescott St. (large hill), but as far as I can see, everything said above is true- according to advice my new local friends had given me. If you move here, we'll be in the same boat!

MrChills
Sep 19, 2007, 6:28 PM
Well... It's official, I will also become a resident of St. John's in a couple of weeks. I signed an offer today with a company based in downtown. I am originally from there, and lived in some other town throughout Newfoundland, but, always held the strongest connection to St. John's

I left there six years ago for the USA and have worked and or lived there everysince. Six years ago I would get $1.64 CDN for $1.00 USD, today I get $1.01 for $1.00 - talk about good timing.

I can't wait to get back!!!!

Canasian
Oct 3, 2007, 3:48 PM
, always held the strongest connection to St. John's

I left there six years ago for the USA and have worked and or lived there everysince. Six years ago I would get $1.64 CDN for $1.00 USD, today I get $1.01 for $1.00 - talk about good timing.

I can't wait to get back!!!!

^^^Welcome back to the Rock, MrChills!!!!!
I have a similar story. I worked inthe US also, and I left when the CDN $ was 90 cents- and now its parity!!! I'm lovin' this aspect!! (pity the manufacturers in ON and QC though..........)

keninhalifax
Oct 5, 2007, 10:04 AM
Geez, is there a new exodus to the Rock? ;)