PDA

View Full Version : "Radiant City" free screening Friday 08/24 7pm

deeann
Aug 21, 2007, 9:59 PM
Basically a repost from our mailing list, but I figured some of you on the forum might be interested in this.

Friday, August 24, 2007
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Movies on a Big Screen, in conjunction with LJ Urban present "Radiant City."

http://www.shiny-object.com/screenings/radiantcity.jpg

Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNdQDBy2rY

Location: LJ Urban. 1931 H St, Sacramento. That's right on the corner of 20th & H. Entrance will be on the side door (not the front door) on 20th St. You know, if we used an actual front door, it just wouldn't be Movies on a Big Screen, now would it? :)

Admission: Free!!!! Seating is somewhat limited (we think we can squeeze around 100 in) though, so arriving a bit early is not such a bad idea.

This had been planned for months, and was to originally take place at a different venue which we have been doing weekly Friday film screenings at. Due to the recent closure of that venue, LJ Urban stepped up and graciously also offered to open up the spacious back area of their office to accommodate the screening, for which we could not be more grateful, as we are currently looking for a replacement venue! Don't expect too fancy of a set-up, though, as this location is a patch. We might even be projecting off of a table top onto a 10 foot portable tripod screen.

Folks from LJ Urban will be in attendance (or maybe in this case I should phrase it as "we'll be in attendance" since it is *their* office and all) and speaking a bit following the film. Along with them, Graham Brownstein from ECOS (Environmental Council of Sacramento) will also speak for a bit. Of course, they'll all be around if you have any questions. And make sure to marvel at the infamous LJ Urban mini-car while you're there!!

About Radiant City:
Gary Burns, Canada's king of surreal comedy, joins journalist Jim Brown on an outing to the suburbs. Venturing into territory both familiar and foreign, they turn the documentary genre inside out, crafting a vivid account of life in The Late Suburban Age.

Urban sprawl is eating the planet. Across the continent the landscape is being levelled - blasted clean of distinctive features and overlaid with zombie monoculture. Politicians call it growth. Developers call it business. The Moss family call it home...

Those of you who have been to our usual Friday screenings in the past are already aware of the -ahem- comfort level of our regular seating on folding chairs, if you have not been to a MoBS screening yet you should know to feel free to bring a pillow or cushion.

DeeAnn

sugit
Aug 21, 2007, 10:05 PM
DeeAnn - Any luck finding a new permanent location?

deeann
Aug 21, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hey sugit! It looks like we'll be roadshowing it on Fridays with the portable setup as we can until we find a new home venue (still working on that). Or an interim location for a while where we can have a better quality (presentation-wise) setup. And we might also be expanding into Saturdays at a much larger location in East Sac (this place even has the "fancy style" padded folding chairs.:tup:)

A screening in Del Paso with two different docs on the same night with director Q&A for each is coming up Sep 22 also.

sugit
Aug 21, 2007, 10:39 PM
(this place even has the "fancy style" padded folding chairs.:tup:)

Padded folding chairs? *In my best Borat Voice* very nice

Good luck with search! I'm hoping to check this out on Friday, but with a kid...who knows!

deeann
Aug 21, 2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks! That would be neat if you can make it!

Cynikal
Aug 21, 2007, 11:01 PM
Deeann. If you ever want to hold this outside I can offer you the Bicycle Kitchen space to show movies. We hold regular showing of fun bike movies about once a month. Additionally, you could contact St. Hope and see if you could use the Guild Theater.

deeann
Aug 21, 2007, 11:14 PM
Cool! I'm sending ya a PM!

Cynikal
Aug 22, 2007, 2:36 AM
Got it, sent you an email. :tup: