PDA

View Full Version : SKYLINE CHANGE: which city skyline will change the most in 5 yrs?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Maldive
Nov 5, 2007, 12:19 AM
Since this thread was revived, here's an update of my Toronto future render with many new building revisions/design changes and additions (300 Front StreetWest will make big impact from this angle), new heights and lots of improvements etc.

There's also a comprehensive render compilation of individual buildings in the Toronto forum.

http://www.upside-down.ca/maldive/futuremed.jpg

And here's a link to a big pic those of you who want to look close:

http://www.upside-down.ca/maldive/futurebig.jpg

401_King
Nov 5, 2007, 12:32 AM
maldive's dunnit again. damn

WhipperSnapper
Nov 5, 2007, 12:58 AM
I recently saw on Emporis that Toronto has 99 skyscrapers under construction... is that accurate?

It's 90 give or take 1 or 2. Toronto on Emporis is an absolute mess and its just a fluke their number got so close to the actual figure. Calgary has nearly double thier Emporis' count.

Rico Rommheim
Nov 5, 2007, 4:18 AM
Toronto on Emporis is an absolute mess and its just a fluke their number got so close to the actual figure. Calgary has nearly double thier Emporis' count.

Montreal's hasn't changed in years, despite a boom in condo towers, many are still listed as u/c despite having long been built and occupied.

btw, this skyline is pimped out! :worship:
http://www.upside-down.ca/maldive/futuremed.jpg

Pavlov
Nov 5, 2007, 6:17 AM
/\ Good lord!

Boris2k7
Nov 5, 2007, 6:37 AM
This is the latest rendering from CtrlAltDel
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/773/cs2yz0dt2.jpg

Original Image (August 24, 2007, according to the image properties):
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/802/csbeforevr6jl4.jpg

Soon you won't be able to see the Calgary Tower...

There are proposals not represented in the rendering, as well designs that are more educated guesses than the genuine articles.

LordMandeep
Nov 5, 2007, 1:39 PM
when i was in Calgary i was wondering where the tower was, i thought it would be very very tall, but the buildings around it are much much taller.

caltrane74
Nov 5, 2007, 3:01 PM
Maldive your crazy guy!!

By about spring, 25% of those renderings should start making impacts on the skyline..

RBC - RITZ - BA - Pinnicle Centre - Cityplace - Murano 1 &2 - Telus - Minto

just to name a few!!!!!

I want to go too.. I've got a month of vacation I need to use up before the end of the year and time is running out...on my to do list:

Cuba - its cheap - Spend a week here doesn't do any damage to my pocketbook

Trinidad - have to go here ( family and honies demand it)

Montreal - maybe one weekend.

Calgary!!!! - I want to see what all the hype is about.

caltrane74
Nov 5, 2007, 4:06 PM
Maldive, I'm gonna link this on ut...

If im out of line, let me know.

hehe..

Coldrsx
Nov 5, 2007, 4:39 PM
Toronto is finally going to be a respectable skyline and the density increase in people and workforce will truly elevate it to a great urban core.

Calgary is impressive to say the least, but again...i look at that image and i think of a circus of towers...few relate, few are simple/clean and sharp, and the density is wonderful, but the organizing and relation just isnt there IMO.

mind you...i am jealous.

craneSpotter
Nov 5, 2007, 5:27 PM
:worship:
Toronto is in a league of its own in Canada. Toronto's skyline will hold its own at a world level in a few years! Some serious height will be added. Hopefully we see a >300m tower or two added as well....

Sadly, as far as height goes, the other Canadian cities are falling behind - fast!
Although by numbers, Vancouver and to a slightly lesser extent Calgary, are holding their own.

CtrlAltDel
Nov 5, 2007, 6:16 PM
Toronto looks fantastic. It's definitely bulking up, all it needs is a nice new signature tower (Manulife maybe?). Canada should be proud to have such a dynamic city with several high quality projects. Great job Maldive!

Calgary is impressive to say the least, but again...i look at that image and i think of a circus of towers...few relate, few are simple/clean and sharp, and the density is wonderful, but the organizing and relation just isnt there IMO.

Reality may turn out much different (and better) than my scribbles. I'm working on an aerial panoramic that should show nearly every downtown project.

Calgarian
Nov 5, 2007, 6:31 PM
Toronto is finally going to be a respectable skyline and the density increase in people and workforce will truly elevate it to a great urban core.

mind you...i am jealous.

It will definitely turn out better.

caltrane74
Nov 5, 2007, 6:52 PM

mind you...i am jealous.

I think Maldive's rendering skill may be the reason why Toronto's new development looks more uniform than Calgary's.

Calgary building boom will likely turn out just fine.

401_King
Nov 5, 2007, 7:07 PM
Toronto and Calgary are just ridiculous. I think calgary needs a better render than these street level ones presented. like an aerial style. does anyone have one?

Maldive
Nov 5, 2007, 7:10 PM
^^ CtlAltDel just said he was working on one. :yes:

401_King
Nov 5, 2007, 7:13 PM
Maldive in ur TO render what % of approved bldgs did you account for? proposed %?

Maldive
Nov 5, 2007, 7:31 PM
Pretty much 90% u/c, site prep or approved. The only big ones awaiting approval would be 1 Bloor East and the 2 tower St. Joseph Street proposal (pretty sure they are done with community consulations on this one).

eemy
Nov 5, 2007, 7:42 PM
How do you guys go about making those renderings?

LordMandeep
Nov 6, 2007, 12:10 AM
I want to go too.. I've got a month of vacation I need to use up before the end of the year and time is running out...on my to do list:

Winter 2005.

Boris2k7
Nov 6, 2007, 1:15 AM
How do you guys go about making those renderings?

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7409/sugar06ey5.jpg + http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1359/spicehuntercollectionrezk3.jpg + http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3849/nicetitleiy7.jpg

:D

Wooster
Nov 6, 2007, 1:16 AM
I think CtrlAltDel's rendering in this case isn't the most accurate. For one several of the towers are standins for real proposals we haven't seen actual renderings for, plus due to the massive number of them they are kind of squished together in a way that is not entirely realistic. If you look at the projects individually beside one another they do have a cohesiveness in form and style.

SFUVancouver
Nov 6, 2007, 4:26 AM
Mea culpa time.

This discussion really is between Toronto and Calgary. My earlier comments in Vancouver's favour have not been born out by the Shangri-La's ascendance as the city's tallest building. Downtown Vancouver is already dense as hell and the two or three dozen new towers in the core that are underway or topping out haven't made the difference I was expecting since they are lost amongst the hundreds.

I'll stand by my assertion that Vancouver's boom has reshaped the city more than any other Canadian city. This is because this is the same boom that gave us a couple hundred new towers downtown and the new Yaletown and Coal Harbour high density neighbourhoods. It is now breaking through the city's height limits, filling in the core like crazy and expanding east and south with the revitalization of Gastown and the creation of Southeast False Creek and the Olympic Village.

Between Calgary and Toronto, I think the former is being reshaped to the greatest extent by this boom. The doubling or tripling of mass in Calgary's core just cannot be proportionately matched by Toronto's build out. However when it comes to sheer numbers and a beefing up of a skyline, Toronto wins hands down. Toronto's approximately 100 towers under construction is twice Vancouver's construction inventory and well ahead of Calgary.

ScottFromCalgary
Nov 6, 2007, 4:42 AM
Nice rendering Maldive. For all the hype, Trump is barely even noticeable in that picture.

Maldive
Nov 6, 2007, 1:30 PM
Thanks.

The base photo is a high angle, long lens shot which compresses distance and creates a lot of drama for sure... but that very compression also hides so much of the medium rise density that Toronto has downtown.

There are dozens of projects and proposals not included because they simply wouldn't register.

To your point, the 2 largest buildings u/c in Toronto... Trump (over 900 feet) and Bay Adelaide 1, will be little more than footnotes in this shot. On the other hand, 1 Bloor East (proposed @ more than 900 feet) will look even taller than it's actual height from this angle (helped somewhat by the elevation change as well).

So it's a trade off.

BTW, here's a project key of the most noticable additions to the base photo (first pic):

http://www.upside-down.ca/maldive/key.jpg

MolsonExport
Nov 6, 2007, 2:33 PM
Wow. Just mind-blowing. How long does it take you to compose such a mockup?

caltrane74
Nov 6, 2007, 2:38 PM
JackthehammerTO relinked the Maldive mock-up

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/JackhammerTO/futuremed.jpg

401_King
Nov 6, 2007, 3:54 PM
just moving the photo to this page.

G.S MTL
Nov 6, 2007, 6:27 PM
f*cking sad that montreal aint part of this!....

Bigtime
Nov 6, 2007, 9:09 PM
Wow Toronto, just wow! I was just there a couple of weeks ago visiting my sister in the mariner terrace condos and was blown away by all the construction going on!

As has been stated already that Calgary shot really doesn't give a very clear picture since it is from ground level. I can't wait until Ctrl gives us an aerial view that would look much better, very much like this Toronto shot! :tup:

Calgarian
Nov 7, 2007, 12:15 AM
That will be sweet.

Canuck
Nov 7, 2007, 1:03 AM
BTW, here's a project key of the most noticable additions to the base photo (first pic)
Don't think the addition of Emerald Park went unnoticed.
http://www.ghettoshots.net/david/Photos/107/Thumbs/Toronto_Landmark.JPG

craner
Nov 7, 2007, 6:28 AM
Awesome work - simply Awesome.
Keep them comin' :tup:

Boris2k7
Nov 12, 2007, 2:13 AM
The newest rendering from CtrlAltDel

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9924/aerialsouthdm4ch1.jpg

V2.0

Calgarian
Nov 12, 2007, 2:33 AM
Wow! great work yet again CtrlAltDel. Can we get a before shot as well?

entheosfog
Nov 12, 2007, 3:06 AM
just moving the photo to this page.

Wow...how about one like this for Calgary to show all the new additions???

CtrlAltDel
Nov 12, 2007, 4:28 AM
^That does look pretty sweet.
Thanks Johnny, here's a before and after shot.
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5065/aerialsouthbeforesf4.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/977/aerialsouthbwbu6.jpg

Boris2k7
Nov 12, 2007, 4:42 AM
Wowzers. Calgary and Toronto rule the day. The Bow really is a showstopper.

I believe that this smiley works for situations like this:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2875/confused0052wx4.gif

WhipperSnapper
Nov 12, 2007, 5:33 AM
That puts things into prespective. It's interesting how Eau Claire and surroundings were so hot at the start of Calgary's massive boom but now have pretty much fizzled out. Is this to the availability of developable land?

What's the tall proposal in fromt of Bankers Hall? Looks a bit like Aura at College Park

ScottFromCalgary
Nov 12, 2007, 6:43 AM
That puts things into prespective. It's interesting how Eau Claire and surroundings were so hot at the start of Calgary's massive boom but now have pretty much fizzled out. Is this to the availability of developable land?

Perhaps, although Anthen's massive "Waterfront" development, Concorde's purchase of one of the best lots around, and the upcoming multi-tower redevelopment of Eau Claire mall indicate that this is truly is one of best locations in all of Calgary. The Beltline has much more construction simply because we can't all afford $700/sq.ft. There just isn't enough room in Eau Claire for those willing to pay $600/sq.ft I guess:shrug: .

What's the tall proposal in fromt of Bankers Hall? Looks a bit like Aura at College Park

I think that would be the speculative design for Qualex-Landmark's major residential tower at the current "Alberta Boot" site. We'll see what happens there.

The Chemist
Nov 12, 2007, 8:17 AM

I wouldn't say they're fizzled out. As Scott mentioned, there's the whole Anthem project underway, there's the Riverfront Pointe development down the road, and there's three major office towers U/C in the area - Centennial Place (two towers) and Jaimeson Place. Plus the Lecaille on 4th proposal.

Boris2k7
Nov 12, 2007, 9:53 AM
Actually, goodlookin' would be referring to the Procura proposal. Design isn't released to the public yet, but people who went to a community meeting a couple weeks back saw it.

caltrane74
Nov 12, 2007, 2:55 PM
Nice Work CtrlAltDel!!

giallo
Nov 12, 2007, 6:15 PM
Calgary looks like it'll need a visit by me in the not-so-distant future.

401_King
Nov 12, 2007, 6:43 PM
So now that we have a comparison. Which city will change the most in 5 years?

caltrane74
Nov 12, 2007, 7:04 PM
I think it's going to be close.

I'll give the edge to Calgary. ( very slight edge - only because the Bow will make a dramatic change in thier skyline the way only a new tallest can)

Toronto on the other hand is starting to look like Manhatten, surrounded by forest instead of water.

Bigtime
Nov 12, 2007, 7:12 PM

They both kick ass, way too close to call!

Coldrsx
Nov 12, 2007, 7:19 PM
VAN/CAL/TOR

EDM/OTT/MTL

amazing the categorization that seems to form with respect to development...although Edmonton probably leads the pack in the bottom 3 by a good margin.

MolsonExport
Nov 12, 2007, 7:58 PM
^yeah, surprising how edmonton is in the race to the bottom ;)

ErickMontreal
Nov 12, 2007, 8:03 PM
VAN/CAL/TOR

EDM/OTT/MTL

amazing the categorization that seems to form with respect to development...although Edmonton probably leads the pack in the bottom 3 by a good margin.

No offence but I think you underrated MTL. Of course, actually , MTL isnt within the same league than VAN/CAL/TO in term of development. However, the office vacancy rate falls specially in downtown core, in fact, there are three new office towers (29-31-31 story) being proposed. Both of those could start within the next three years. In addition, a 29-story condo/hotel (Crystal de la Montagne), 37-Story (Hilton) and 29-Story (Louis Boheme) already under construction as well as there are plenty others hotel redevelopments.

Coldrsx
Nov 12, 2007, 8:06 PM
^yeah, surprising how edmonton is in the race to the bottom ;)

far from...just a different scale.

Coldrsx
Nov 12, 2007, 8:08 PM
No offence but I think you underrated MTL. Of course, actually , MTL isnt within the same league than VAN/CAL/TO in term of development. However, the office vacancy rate falls specially in downtown core, in fact, there are three new office towers (29-31-31 story) being proposed. Both of those could start within the next three years. In addition, a 29-story condo/hotel (Crystal de la Montagne), 37-Story (Hilton) and 29-Story (Louis Boheme) already under construction as well as there are plenty of others hotel redevelopments.

Edmonton has seen its downtown vacancy drop from 12-4% in 5 yrs and rates go up from $8-36....we have 4 new towers (25,25,22,16) in planning and many new condos....but i still think the level of development in Edmonton would be slightly higher than montreal...but you do own us in the hotel sector.

edmonton developments:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=101053

The Kid
Nov 14, 2007, 4:20 AM

1.Calgary
2.Vancouver
3.Toronto

But it's very close. The Bow will dramatically change Calgarys skyline on it's own but there is also signifigant "stretching" of the core to the West, the East and the South, all happening at the same time.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 14, 2007, 4:51 AM
It's pretty much a draw between Edmonton and Montreal at this moment. Montreal has more highrises on the go but also starts with a much larger skyline. Anyways, They are so far down the list once you include secondary or suburban skylines that ...

It was pretty much a stampede outside the One Bloor sales office today. I wouldn't be surprised if this overpriced dinosaur sold out in a day. It definitely appears the meteor will hit Toronto sooner rather than later burning a lot of shirts off people's backs in the process.

ummagumma66
Nov 14, 2007, 5:05 AM
I'd put it at
1. Calgary
2. Toronto
3. Vancouver

ctown.myth
Nov 14, 2007, 5:15 AM
1. Calgary (just cuz of the Bow, w/o it Calgary would be down at 2nd)
2. Toronto
3. Vancouver

401_King
Nov 14, 2007, 5:17 AM
with all due respect to vancouver, I havent been convinced that they are having more change than TO or calgary

401_King
Nov 14, 2007, 6:25 AM
found a similar angle from 2005 posted by Skybean SSC
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/2008270317_7850ddc158_o.jpg
future
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/JackhammerTO/futuremed.jpg

Tone
Nov 14, 2007, 11:11 AM
Sorry guys but the Montreal - Edmonton thing is pretty funny and embarrassing

fine ... 20 storeys according to SSP

Toronto 61
Vancouver 28
Calgary 23
Montreal 12
Burnaby 9
Mississauga 8
Coquitlam 3
New Westminster 3
Port Moody 3
London 2
Surrey 2
Brampton 1
Edmonton 1
Kelowna 1
Langford 1
Longueuil 1
Niagara Falls 1
North Vancouver 1
Ottawa 1
Vaughan 1
Windsor 1
Winnipeg 1

i think we added 2-3 more already

The Kid
Nov 14, 2007, 2:05 PM
with all due respect to vancouver, I havent been convinced that they are having more change than TO or calgary

Are you kidding? When was the last time you were in Van?

The construction there is crazy with several new buildings redefining their skyline. Vancouver is easily amongst the top three with Calgary and Toronto, where each of them rank is arguable but Van is definately in the running.

Maldive
Nov 14, 2007, 2:47 PM
As this thread grows, I realize more and more that "skyline change" should actually be "noticeable skyline change".

Semantics? Not really.

One could argue that Toronto... with many more tall projects (including a couple over 900 feet, a clutch of 700 and 600 footers) than any other city, will in fact experience the greatest skyline change... simply put, it's building a greater volume and it's building taller.

But will it be as noticable as Calgary's change? Perhaps not from one aerial pov. On the other hand, the scale is different. Toronto's skyline from south to north is measured in miles, not city blocks. And individual neighbourhoods like the Bloor/Yonge/Bay/Charles area will be bulking up on a scale that simply can't be found anywhere in this country.

What about suburban skylines that don't fit on a postcard of downtown? One might argue that Toronto has 2 emerging suburban skylines (North York and Miss) that might soon compete for 5th or 6th biggest skylines in the country (on their own merits).

So is it really "percentage" of change we are looking at, for which Toronto with 2000 highrises could never qualify? Or is it "noticeable" change? If Winnipeg built three 40 storey buildings would it win?

What indeed is the magic formula to measure "skyline change"?? Probably doesn't matter. ;)

401_King
Nov 14, 2007, 3:21 PM

The construction there is crazy with several new buildings redefining their skyline. Vancouver is easily amongst the top three with Calgary and Toronto, where each of them rank is arguable but Van is definately in the running.

i definitely agree van is in the running. but i dont think it is having more noticeable change than TO or Calg....last time i went was in 2004. but this is all based looking at the pics, renders, we need to get a good Vancouver render like the TO or Calgary aerials i guess.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 14, 2007, 3:56 PM

I gotta disagree. Vancouver's growth is up there however most of it is through infill rather than expansion outwards

caltrane74
Nov 14, 2007, 4:56 PM
With the dynamic Bow, Calgary wins most noticable skyline change.

Toronto wins the competition for most bulked up skyline.

Vancouver wins for finally getting over it's fear of hieghts!

Coldrsx
Nov 14, 2007, 4:58 PM
Sorry guys but the Montreal - Edmonton thing is pretty funny and embarrassing

i think we added 2-3 more already

sorry...what is this?

MolsonExport
Nov 14, 2007, 6:56 PM
As this thread grows, I realize more and more that "skyline change" should actually be "noticeable skyline change".

Semantics? Not really.

One could argue that Toronto... with many more tall projects (including a couple over 900 feet, a clutch of 700 and 600 footers) than any other city, will in fact experience the greatest skyline change... simply put, it's building a greater volume and it's building taller.

But will it be as noticable as Calgary's change? Perhaps not from one aerial pov. On the other hand, the scale is different. Toronto's skyline from south to north is measured in miles, not city blocks. And individual neighbourhoods like the Bloor/Yonge/Bay/Charles area will be bulking up on a scale that simply can't be found anywhere in this country.

What about suburban skylines that don't fit on a postcard of downtown? One might argue that Toronto has 2 emerging suburban skylines (North York and Miss) that might soon compete for 5th or 6th biggest skylines in the country (on their own merits).

So is it really "percentage" of change we are looking at, for which Toronto with 2000 highrises could never qualify? Or is it "noticeable" change? If Winnipeg built three 40 storey buildings would it win?

What indeed is the magic formula to measure "skyline change"?? Probably doesn't matter. ;)

Indeed. Good points. It is a question that cannot be definitively answered qualitatively nor quantitatively.

Tone
Nov 14, 2007, 8:35 PM
sorry...what is this?
what do you mean?

Calgarian
Nov 14, 2007, 8:39 PM
C'mon Montreal and Edmonton, get building.

240glt
Nov 14, 2007, 8:42 PM
^ Don't worry, we'll be ramping up shortly. 2008 looks like it could be a good year

Calgarian
Nov 14, 2007, 8:44 PM
How many highrises will you have going up downtown?

Tone
Nov 14, 2007, 8:53 PM
C'mon Montreal and Edmonton, get building.
Id say there's around 25 tower cranes in action so it cannot be that bad:)

Coldrsx
Nov 14, 2007, 9:32 PM
How many highrises will you have going up downtown?

Edmonton - up or should be up during 2008.

floors, name, status

Condo

36 - Belamy - dc2
35 - Icon II - U/C
30 - Icon - U/C
22 - Q - approved
22 - founder's ridge - dc2
20 - arlington - in at city
17 - aurora - approved and soon to be U/C
17 - vivacity - U/C
16 - valleyview - in at city
15 - Uptown - u/c
14 - Oliver - in at city
14 - alta vista 2 - u/c
13- quarters 1 - in at city
13- quarters 2 - in at city
12 - illuminada 2 - u/c
12 - serenity - u/c
11 - concert - in at city
10 - meridian - u/c
4 - art gallery - HAS A TOWER CRANE WOO

Office

22 - stationlands 1 - approved
15 - Ironwood - office - in at city
12 - 10830 jasper avenue - U/C (reno)

there is a healthy amount U/C or soon to be with much much more in planning including:

40 storey office - procura
41 storey condo - bcm
30 storey condo - pearl
29 storey condo - wasnea
28 storey condo - aurora
28 storey condo - aurora
26 storey condo - opus
25 storey condo - aurora
24 storey condo - abbey lane 104st
23 storey condo - aurora
23 storey condo - aurora
22 storey office - melcor
22 storey office - Ge/Dundee
13 storey condo - chinatown
4/6/8/11 storey mixed use - procura

Not to mention the ramp up for the UofA start of the 7-8 crane ambulatory learning centre going next year and their other 2 cranes up currently

*but y'all gotta remember that Edmonton has a height limit (municipal airport) of 480' and that quickly goes much lower in many areas of the downtown and hence why we have so many 10-15 storey towers.

oh and not to mention strathearn, glenora, and century park....combined is roughly 15-18 towers over 12 floors with 2 tower cranes up at century park all ready.

Edmonton is behind, but we have plenty going on and much more in the works....

go to the Edmonton "city compilation" page if you dont think im truthful

240glt
Nov 14, 2007, 9:49 PM
^Yor forgot the Taverner tower :)

Coldrsx
Nov 14, 2007, 9:52 PM
^there are more than a few i missed or forgot...which speaks to the amount u/c, in planning, or approved.

Kevin_foster
Nov 14, 2007, 10:18 PM
^ Sounds good.

There's ALOT going on in Edmonton. Thanks for mentioning Century Park...

The Kid
Nov 14, 2007, 10:18 PM
I gotta disagree. Vancouver's growth is up there however most of it is through infill rather than expansion outwards

Where would you like Van to expand outwards to?? The downtown is basically an Island, they have to infill and go up, which they are, and their skyline is changing as they do.

Maldive
Nov 14, 2007, 10:49 PM
To further confuse the discussion (hey we're skyscraper geeks so why not?).... let's look at the Toronto and Calgary numbers, not the renders.

Toronto
U/C or proposed from 500 feet to 900+feet: 26
Tallest U/C: 925', 715', 704'*

(*assumes Shangri-la has qualified... if I'm a month too early just knock off 20 feet and use Ritz Carlton)

Calgary
U/C or proposed from 500 feet to 775 feet: 8*
(*please correct me if I'm wrong... not intentional)

Tallest U/C: 774', 577', 558'*

Please note that neither city has been penalized in height for "flagpoles", even though Cal has used 4 times as many ;-)

One last thought. The aforementioned tallest u/c in Toronto (925', 715', 704') are barely visible in my chosen Skyline render... what impact would they have in CtrlALTDel's Calgary render??

.... just more junk food for thought.:slob:

Coldrsx
Nov 14, 2007, 10:52 PM
let's all form a circle, sing kumbaya, have a pint and accept that many of the major cities and many of the smaller ones are doing very well at this juncture.

Maldive
Nov 14, 2007, 11:20 PM
I know Molly and I know the tune... must look for the lyrics. What's that search engine called? OOGLE?

Doady
Nov 14, 2007, 11:56 PM
Mississauga wins hands down.

Coldrsx
Nov 15, 2007, 12:22 AM
Mississauga wins hands down.

where? dont you mean toronto?

The Chemist
Nov 15, 2007, 12:38 AM
^ Sounds good.

There's ALOT going on in Edmonton. Thanks for mentioning Century Park...

Oh. My. God. I just realized where I'd heard the name of Century Park before coming to Shanghai - it's that TOD in Edmonton! Will the LRT station there be called Century Park as well?

Century Park (世纪公园) is also the name of the biggest park in Shanghai, and it's pretty close to where I live.

Sorry for getting off-topic. :p

Coldrsx
Nov 15, 2007, 12:42 AM
^

www.centurypark.ca

WhipperSnapper
Nov 15, 2007, 1:57 AM
Where would you like Van to expand outwards to??

That's really beside the point, don't y'think?

I realize there are obstacles to Vancouver's skyline expanding outwards but the peninsula is hardly a remote island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. SEFC (although I much prefer the midrise masterplan) and DTES come to mind.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 15, 2007, 2:05 AM
where? dont you mean toronto?

CMA boundaries are pretty arbitrary when it comes to skylines as Mississauga City Centre skyline's has no connection to Toronto's main skyline whatsoever.

Coldrsx
Nov 15, 2007, 2:12 AM
CMA boundaries are pretty arbitrary when it comes to skylines as Mississauga City Centre skyline's has no connection to Toronto's main skyline whatsoever.

it was a joke....a poke at miss. I am very familiar with that area.

Boris2k7
Nov 15, 2007, 3:57 AM
Missi from the CN Tower, this summer...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6844/missijm9eh3.jpg

The Kid
Nov 15, 2007, 4:34 AM
[QUOTE=goodlookin';3168093]That's really beside the point, don't y'think?

Ummmm...no...not really!

WhipperSnapper
Nov 15, 2007, 5:42 AM
How exactly does Vancouver's limitations factor into, "which skyline will see the biggest change in 5 years"? This isn't about what could be if ... the Bow wasn't so close to the river valley. (and, if anything, Vancouver has the most potential being hemmed in by mountains and water while Calgary the least with a small population and plenty of space to grow)

401_King
Nov 15, 2007, 5:51 AM

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9130/missijm9.jpg

been looking for a pic like this, thanks =)

Cambridgite
Nov 15, 2007, 6:02 AM
That's a pretty sick photo of Sauga. It'll be even better once the Marylin Munroe building and Absolute are finished.

LeftCoaster
Nov 15, 2007, 6:40 AM

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9130/missijm9.jpg

That pic sure doesnt look like its from the CN Tower??:koko:

401_King
Nov 15, 2007, 6:45 AM
^ . of course it is. look how high ground he is. he zoomed in with his camera looking west, dont let your eyes fool you!

raggedy13
Nov 15, 2007, 8:24 AM
I think a strong contender for the most suburban skyline change will be Surrey. At the moment it has a handful of towers - two decent-sized office towers, and a few older, shorter condo towers, most of which are quite spaced apart.

At the moment though it is just entering a boom. It's first new 100m+ condo tower topped out earlier this year with another 4 still to go in the same development. In total there are nearly 2 dozen u/c /approved/proposed towers from 20 to 40 storeys (just according to SSP diagrams).

The most recent project to go on sale (a 40 & 36 storey tower development advertised as the tallest development between Vancouver and Calgary) broke records... excerpt from a recent Globe and Mail article:

Surrey high-rise sells out in 30 hours

CATHRYN ATKINSON
Special to The Globe and Mail
November 7, 2007

Condo buyers have set a new speed record in real estate sales in the Lower Mainland by snapping up all 901 units in a Surrey high-rise development in just 30 hours.

A record 545 units in the Sky Towers development were sold last Saturday, beating the previous one-day sale record of 536 sold at the Woodward's development in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside in April, 2006.

"There was strong demand from the public. People could see the potential of this area, I think. It is being transformed from old Whalley to a new community," Mr. Lee said. "The response was incredible, it was the second fastest sellout ever in North America."

I don't know how it compares in total volume of construction to Mississauga though I know it doesn't top it in height. However with sales as successful as they've been in the area, it is only likely more and more developments will come online. As for height, I wouldn't be surprised if Surrey was as tall or taller than Vancouver within the next decade.

Anyways, Surrey is currently looking like this (except for a missing new 100m+ condo tower)...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/raggedy13/151431.jpg

All the new condos should be a nice compliment to Surrey's current tallest, the award-winning Central City Tower (113m)...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/raggedy13/338003.jpg

And here is a rendering of the project mentioned in the article...

http://www.slurrey.com/images/skytowersrendering1.jpg

Cambridgite
Nov 15, 2007, 2:50 PM
"A record 545 units in the Sky Towers development were sold last Saturday, beating the previous one-day sale record of 536 sold at the Woodward's development in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside in April, 2006."

Whoever thought a location in the downtown eastside would be a selling point? :shrug:

ScottFromCalgary
Nov 15, 2007, 3:46 PM
^What's with the pointy tumour growing out of the top of those last two towers?

LeftCoaster
Nov 15, 2007, 4:21 PM
^ . of course it is. look how high ground he is. he zoomed in with his camera looking west, dont let your eyes fool you!

I guess so, its the water that threw me off, I figured it was taken from a plane over Toronto Island.

Calgarian
Nov 15, 2007, 4:49 PM
That last one must be a Raffi project, all their shit looks identical.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 15, 2007, 5:17 PM
I guess so, its the water that threw me off, I figured it was taken from a plane over Toronto Island.

The CN Tower is about a km further south than the shores of Humber Bay which stretches slightly past Queen in the west end of the city

[quote]I think a strong contender for the most suburban skyline change will be Surrey./quote]

definitely however it's Mississaugas to lose ...

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=306

Calgarian
Nov 15, 2007, 5:54 PM
What about smaller cities? I vote for Kelowna, so much going on there.