PDA

View Full Version : Portland expected to grow by 125,000 peeps over next 23 years

MarkDaMan
Jul 31, 2007, 2:57 PM
Move to Portland, and live where?
Metro predicts 55,000 new homes will be needed by 2030
By Jim Redden
The Portland Tribune, Jul 31, 2007

Portland will need the equivalent of 11 more South Waterfront developments to house all the people expected to move here by 2030.

The city is expected to add more than 125,000 people over the next 23 years, according to the most recent population projections from Metro, the regional government charged with managing growth in the metropolitan area — pushing the city’s population from about 562,000 to more than 688,400 residents in just over two decades.

According to the U.S. census, Portland currently averages 2.3 residents per home, meaning that nearly 55,000 new homes will need to be built by 2030 for the additional residents.

That’s approximately the same as building 11 more of the central district developments in the South Waterfront urban renewal area, the new neighborhood dominated by condominium towers that is rising along the west bank of the Willamette River just south of the Ross Island Bridge.

SoWa, as it is known, is expected to have up to 5,000 housing units when it is completely built.

Just how many more homes can be built without seriously degrading Portland’s livability is a serious question. Many residents in different parts of the city already are complaining about infill projects they feel are too big for their existing neighborhoods.

Commissioner Sam Adams acknowledged the concerns when he spoke to the City Club about transportation funding issues earlier this month.

Adams told the long-standing civic organization that instead of spreading the coming growth throughout the city, new development should be concentrated within a quarter-mile of all existing and to-be-planned MAX light-rail and Portland streetcar stops.

“That will be a huge task but a worthwhile task. Why? Because it will simultaneously encourage responsible, transit-supportive development while protecting our existing single-family neighborhoods from undue growth,” he said.

Is such a goal realistic? Former Portland Mayor Bud Clark supports the concept of transit-oriented development but worries that the pace of growth is overwhelming the city’s planning efforts.

“I’m not as optimistic as I used to be. What I see is development happening everywhere, not just where it would seem to make sense,” said Clark, who lives in Northwest Portland and still owns the Goose Hollow Inn, 1927 S.W. Jefferson St.

Adams believes that new streetcar lines can attract much of the new growth, noting that private businesses have invested approximately $2.4 billion along the existing lines. But Adams admits he is concerned about the slow pace of intense development along any of TriMet’s light-rail lines within the city limits.

Although some large condominium projects have been built in the Goose Hollow area, few such projects are being discussed for sites along the North Interstate Avenue and Interstate 84 lines. Because of that, Adams has asked the Portland Office of Transportation, which he oversees, to study zoning and other obstacles to such projects.
Some public subsidies rankle

Simply removing bureaucratic obstacles may not be enough to persuade developers to spend the millions of dollars necessary for such projects.

In the past, the City Council and Portland Development Commission have used public subsidies — including property tax breaks and infrastructure improvements — to encourage such dense mixed-use developments as SoWa and the Pearl District.

Public opinion now seems to oppose such subsidies, however.

Many Portlanders who responded to the Community Vision Project initiated by Mayor Tom Potter criticized the city for supporting expensive condominium and apartment buildings. The citizen committee working on the project, also known as VisionPDX, will present its report to the council Sept. 19.

An early summary of public comments noted that a large number of people think “the tram/South Waterfront/North Macadam development (not to mention the Pearl, which seems to have become a verb, as in ‘to Pearlize’) was a total waste of money.”
Transit lines made a draw

Several projects are under way to determine how to encourage a greater range of mixed-use projects along transit lines.

The Portland Planning Bureau is launching an update of the city’s comprehensive plan, a state-mandated blueprint intended to guide future development within the city’s limits.

It also is preparing to update the Central City Plan, which guides development downtown and on the inner east side.

Metro is conducting a review of its existing growth policies. Called the New Look, the review is intended to determine how to implement Metro’s 2040 Growth Concept, which calls for new development to be concentrated in centers along major transportation lines.

Metro Councilor Carl Hostika said the New Look could result in policies that help achieve Adams’ call for development concentrated along transit lines.

“Basically, we could have a series of mini-Pearl Districts located at transit stops. That would be better than expecting all neighborhoods in the city to absorb equal shares of the growth,” Hostika said.

All of these projects will take a year or more to complete, however. In the meantime, if Metro is right, Portland’s population already is on track to grow by around one-fifth by 2030.

jimredden@portlandtribune.com
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=118582928721478400

mhays
Jul 31, 2007, 3:36 PM
Sounds like Seattle's projections.

The article makes a basic error. While Portland averages 2.3 per unit (wow, quite a high figure), apartments and condos won't average that many. An oversimplified rule of thumb is that houses (in Seattle) average 2.5, while multifamily averages 1.5. With rising real estate prices, more families will live in multifamily, but probably not in huge numbers.

Vacancy rates will also be key. But again, even a two percent drop is what, 5,000 units?

In other words, you'll need more than 55,000 new units.

sirsimon
Jul 31, 2007, 5:49 PM
How about raising some height limits now, guys?

PacificNW
Jul 31, 2007, 5:55 PM
Raise the height limit (especially in the Lloyd Center area) to encourage more density.

pdxman
Jul 31, 2007, 5:55 PM
^^^Agreed

SKgottime
Jul 31, 2007, 5:58 PM
Expect more than 125k when people start abandoning the suburbs of Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California due to the combined impact of energy depletion and global warming.

We need to start by planning 1000 units within 1/4 mile of each MAX station. Next, get rid of the industrial zoning in the Central Eastside- that whole area should be mixed-use which shouldn't preclude light industrial- especially with the streetcar. Finally, let's create a plan for the entire Willamette Valley, that includes High Speed and regional rail, and transit oriented new towns.

PeterSmith
Jul 31, 2007, 7:23 PM
Sounds like good news. I might even be one of those 125,000 ;) It'll be interesting to see how Portland chooses to approach this issue since other cities around the country will inevitably try to copy the solution.

urbanlife
Jul 31, 2007, 7:44 PM
Expect more 125k when people start abandoning the suburbs of Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California due to the combined impact of energy depletion and global warming.

We need to start by planning 1000 units within 1/4 mile of each MAX station. Next, get rid of the industrial zoning in the Central Eastside- that whole area should be mixed-use which shouldn't preclude light industrial- especially with the streetcar. Finally, let's create a plan for the entire Willamette Valley, that includes High Speed and regional rail, and transit oriented new towns.

I agree with much of this except for the getting rid if the industrial zone on the central eastside. That area actually plays a vital role for the city and would be a bad idea to get rid of any of it. There does need to be more affordable housing closer to that area, but to get rid of the industrial for housing makes no sense. That area employs alot of people, and by boundary sense, they are people who work downtown. Pushing out workers of any kind from the city center is always a bad idea.

I do think that each MAX stop should act as its own little city. Some focused more on housing and other focused more on business. The Gateway area needs to start making major moves forward now. If that area is suppose to be Portland's second downtown, then the city needs to be pushing harder for that. I think that area alone can handle much of this new growth that is expected to happen. That would be smart planning. Maybe someone should tell that to mayor potter, or are we just waiting till sam adams gets elected mayor?

PeterSmith
Jul 31, 2007, 8:17 PM
According to the U.S. census, Portland currently averages 2.3 residents per home, meaning that nearly 55,000 new homes will need to be built by 2030 for the additional residents.

Just for reference, if my memory serves me correctly, 55,000 units is somewhere close the the number of units that have been added/are in the pipeline down here in Miami over the last few years, which has done nothing less than double or maybe triple the size of the skyline. Hopefully Portland, unlike Miami, will actually be able to fill its new construction :)

MarkDaMan
Jul 31, 2007, 8:20 PM
Yes, but does anyone actually live in Miami's units?

zilfondel
Jul 31, 2007, 9:24 PM
By comparison, the Metro area will add about 1 million people. So that means that Portland will absorb about 12% of the new residential growth in the metro area!

Seems kind of low, doesn't it? I swear we're turning into the new San Francisco!

Seriously tho - Portland should take advantage of the fact that its neighborhoods (and geography) are so extensive; we can absorb a heck of a lot of infill development - even incremental - which at modest numbers would allow quite a lot of added population.

Combined with really dense transit centers (sporting point or giant towers aka Toronto or Vancouver), would allow quite a large increase in population. And don't forget the main streets: Belmont, Hawthorne, Division, etc - building these corridors up could allow a few thousand more units as well.

Portland just doesn't have the house prices to justify large-scale construction like we are seeing in other cities - too many affordable houses and infill possibilities. If the city or Metro directed more of the growth to Portland - like Europe and Canada do - we'd see a lot more construction, but unfortunately the US doesn't work that way. :(

rsbear
Jul 31, 2007, 9:34 PM
We'll be the new San Francisco!

God, I hope not!!! SF is a treeless, dirty and worn looking city. :yuck:

tworivers
Jul 31, 2007, 11:24 PM
Maybe someone should tell that to mayor potter, or are we just waiting till sam adams gets elected mayor?

^^^Yeah, pretty much.

The only thing I want to say to Potter is Please. Don't. Run. Again.

pdxman
Jul 31, 2007, 11:40 PM
I hope the next mayor is a "pothole mayor", someone who has a vision and is serious about getting things(projects) done.

vertex
Jul 31, 2007, 11:44 PM
Expect more 125k when people start abandoning the suburbs of Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California due to the combined impact of energy depletion and global warming.

Did you ever stop to think for a moment that global warming won't have near the impact on the southwest as it will on your own town?

pdxman
Jul 31, 2007, 11:57 PM
Oh boy, here comes the accusations and arguements

SKgottime
Aug 1, 2007, 12:26 AM
Did you ever stop to think for a moment that global warming won't have near the impact on the southwest as it will on your own town?

No, but I did say "energy depletion and global warming."

Nobody knows for certain what impact global warming will have in the Pacific NW (will we average 25" of annual rainfall instead of 32"?) or the Southwest, but I do know that $10/gallon gas will make living in the sprawling suburbs of the SW less viable for many, especially when you factor in the cost of cooling your expansive homes and importing much of your food.

Drew-Ski
Aug 1, 2007, 12:47 AM
Sounds like Seattle's projections.

The article makes a basic error. While Portland averages 2.3 per unit (wow, quite a high figure), apartments and condos won't average that many. An oversimplified rule of thumb is that houses (in Seattle) average 2.5, while multifamily averages 1.5. With rising real estate prices, more families will live in multifamily, but probably not in huge numbers.

Vacancy rates will also be key. But again, even a two percent drop is what, 5,000 units?

In other words, you'll need more than 55,000 new units.

When I was living in Salinas in the early 2000's the ave occupancy rate per household unit was nearly 10 people. The cost of housing and demographics were the key reasons. Looking forward, when the ave. price for a home and cost of apartments in Portland rise high enough, communal living will become common like in California. I sometimes chuckle when see such low occpancy rate figures because I know down the road those figures will change, particurally when the emerging X, Y and soon Z generations, will have a tough time of buying starter home.

tworivers
Aug 1, 2007, 1:12 AM
Does anyone have any info about these population estimates in comparison to other cities?

I.E., if Portland is #30 now (http://www.city-data.com/top1.html) (or possibly higher if the Tribune's current pop. # is accurate), where will we be on that list in 2030? I'm assuming that some of those cities will be losing pop, while others may be growing at a slower pace.

PeterSmith
Aug 1, 2007, 3:57 AM
Yes, but does anyone actually live in Miami's units?

Nope, that's the problem we're facing right now. In 2005, eighty-five percent of the new units sold in downtown were sold to people who did not intend to live in them. From across the bay, our downtown looks great, but life on the streets is still as desolate as ever in most parts.

I highly doubt Portland will have the same problem though.

zilfondel
Aug 1, 2007, 5:24 AM
When I was living in Salinas in the early 2000's the ave occupancy rate per household unit was nearly 10 people. The cost of housing and demographics were the key reasons. Looking forward, when the ave. price for a home and cost of apartments in Portland rise high enough, communal living will become common like in California. I sometimes chuckle when see such low occpancy rate figures because I know down the road those figures will change, particurally when the emerging X, Y and soon Z generations, will have a tough time of buying starter home.

Agreed. I already live in a room I rent out of an old 1910 duplexified old Portland Foursquare; with a total of 8 people in it. Is quite efficient. :frog:

PDXPaul
Aug 1, 2007, 5:47 AM
Does anyone have any info about these population estimates in comparison to other cities?

I.E., if Portland is #30 now (http://www.city-data.com/top1.html) (or possibly higher if the Tribune's current pop. # is accurate), where will we be on that list in 2030? I'm assuming that some of those cities will be losing pop, while others may be growing at a slower pace.

We might move up some, but I think a lot of other cities are looking at growth in the future too.

FireFighter74
Aug 2, 2007, 11:36 PM
Does anyone think that Portland will ever surpass Seattle in population? Not talking about metro of course. Maybe 2030, 2040?

brandonpdx
Aug 2, 2007, 11:51 PM
It's certainly possible. with the actuals only being 20k different in population or something close to that. However, both cities are focusing on housing in the city so I imagine them to stay neck and neck for decades to come.

Another however, Portland has more sq miles to fill than Seattle, so if the greater east side of Portland really increases its Density you could see Portland get a more substantial lead.

Drew-Ski
Aug 3, 2007, 12:09 AM
Does anyone think that Portland will ever surpass Seattle in population? Not talking about metro of course. Maybe 2030, 2040?

There is currently a thread regarding this topic on the SSC.....Expect fireworks on this one! :hell:

mhays
Aug 3, 2007, 12:21 AM
It's easy to imagine Portland passing Seattle because you have so much more land and the numbers are already so close.

I don't remember any fireworks about that point in the other thread.

Drew-Ski
Aug 3, 2007, 12:42 AM
It's easy to imagine Portland passing Seattle because you have so much more land and the numbers are already so close.

I don't remember any fireworks about that point in the other thread.

Most forumers were easygoing and enjoyed the conversation, but there were a few who veired off course........

PDX City-State
Aug 3, 2007, 8:57 PM
It's certainly possible. with the actuals only being 20k different in population or something close to that. However, both cities are focusing on housing in the city so I imagine them to stay neck and neck for decades to come

Even if Portland were to pass Seattle in population, which is very likely given PDX has a lot more room for infill and cheaper land, it wouldn't mean much. Seattle has nearly twice the density, which is a far better judge of a city's size than population itself. Portland will always be smaller than Seattle.

zilfondel
Aug 3, 2007, 10:55 PM
With our land area, if Portland had Seattle's density, our pop would be...

Ain't gonna happen, but I didn't realize that Portland had about 50 square miles of additional land area than Seattle!

edit - forgot that that included Forest Park, which is 7.7 miles^2. Whoops!
That just gives us an equivalent pop @ Seattle's density of 871,500