PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: Vancouver's Olympic Challenge

Lyle
Jul 23, 2007, 2:37 PM
Vancouver's Olympic Challenge
City Faces Pressure to Fulfill Social Pledges That Helped It Win 2010 Winter Games

By Doug Struck
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, July 23, 2007; A11

VANCOUVER -- Rob Skish is looking forward to the 2010 Winter Olympics. A "binner" who plumbs garbage containers to fill his shopping cart with food for his stomach and cans for the recycler, Skish figures that when the Olympic crowds come to town, the pickings in the bins will be good.

"They'll be full," said Skish, 40. "But there will be a lot more people picking. They will come from all over the world."

Skish's prediction is the stuff of bad dreams for Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan.

When the Winter Olympics open in Vancouver, visitors will find one of the most alluring cities in North America, a green and vibrant port to Asia brimming with diversity, skyscrapers and West Coast cool. But if they take a wrong turn, they will enter Downtown Eastside, a 16-block area teeming with drug dealers, addicts, prostitutes and panhandlers.

The side alleys are open markets for crack cocaine and crystal methamphetamine. The streets reek of urine. Rates of AIDS and hepatitis C are at Third World levels. Those who don't have rooms in some shabby flophouse sleep on the pavement. A U.N. report last month called the area "the trouble in paradise."

To win the Games, Vancouver and the provincial and federal governments made some of the boldest promises of any Olympic bid. They promised to add 800 new housing units a year for four years. They promised to cut homelessness and to ensure that people living on welfare and disability checks aren't ousted from their hotels for higher-paying guests.

The city had already seen that happen once. Thousands of low-income residents were dislocated for the 1986 world's fair, Expo 86. Olaf Solheim, an 88-year-old former logger with a long white beard, starved to death, disoriented and confused, after being evicted from his home of more than 40 years at the Patricia Hotel in Downtown Eastside. A welfare housing block is now named after him.

"I believe the Downtown Eastside will be the legacy of this Olympics. It will be a lot different," the mayor said in an interview at City Hall. "We want every investment we make to leave a legacy that is needed by the city."

Such promises helped swing a 2003 referendum that threatened to scuttle Vancouver's Olympic bid. Opponents of the Games argued that the money should be spent on social programs, not a two-week party. Before the vote, the city, provincial and federal governments appeased skeptics by agreeing to ambitious housing and social goals to leave the city a better place.

The pledges also helped sway the International Olympic Committee, smarting from examples such as Atlanta, where vagrants were bused out of town, and Beijing, where thousands of people reportedly have been dislocated by Olympic construction.

But now critics are saying that Vancouver's promises are turning up empty. The three governments involved conceded last month that insufficient funds have been budgeted for the social programs. It is "questionable" whether all of the promised housing will be built, a report from the governments acknowledged.

"The people of Downtown Eastside feel betrayed," said Harry Bains, a member of the provincial legislature for the minority New Democratic Party. "The promise was made to the world that we will protect these people, so that everyone benefits from the Olympics. We should keep our commitments."

David Eby, a lawyer who works for a nonprofit legal assistance group, Pivot, said the poor would be left "waiting at the altar" unless the governments acted quickly.

"It could still go two ways," Eby said, strolling in sandals through Downtown Eastside, passing panhandlers and social workers. "The legacy could be an appalled reaction from visitors from all over the world about how we treat the poor. Or it could be a model for other Olympic cities that will raise the bar."

City and provincial officials insist they are making good progress. The argument has become a murky dispute over numbers. In April, the British Columbia housing authority bought 10 sagging, century-old rooming house-hotels that are the mainstay for the poor in the area. It plans to fix them up for people who pay $375 a month from welfare or disability checks.

Eby and others applaud those purchases, but contend that they don't create new housing. Development of industrial land into an athletes' village will leave about 250 more units of low-income housing after the Games. Critics say that's good, but note that the original promise was higher.

Mayor Sullivan said he was frustrated that the governments' efforts are getting little credit. "I have got more units in 18 months than the previous government did in three years," he said. "We set our standards pretty high. I think we will achieve a lot. I'm not saying we will achieve all the goals."

Sullivan, a quadriplegic who broke his neck skiing when he was 19, calls the Olympics a good deal for Vancouver. The city's rail line will be extended to the airport. What he calls a "highway of death," the narrow mountain road to ski town Whistler, will be widened to take traffic to the downhill events there. A huge convention center will be built in Vancouver and a sprawling community center will be created from Olympic facilities.

John Furlong, chairman of Vanoc, the Olympic organizing committee, said the goal is to create an effort that involves the entire community. He hopes to finish construction two years ahead of schedule and on budget, and he is hiring contractors from the native Indian groups known in Canada as First Nations. The project would create jobs for Downtown Eastside residents making signs and structures for the events.

The organizing committee will provide 250 units of low-income housing in Vancouver and more at Whistler, and will spend $6 million for First Nations housing, he said.

Sullivan said he is trying to deal with what is in fact a national problem. Most of the people roaming the streets in Downtown Eastside drifted there from other towns because of the tolerance, the climate and the supply of drugs from Asia, he said.

"If you are the mayor of a prairie city, you can have a policy of zero tolerance," he said. "But where do they all go? Vancouver."

In 12 years on the City Council, Sullivan said, he watched at least three big police crackdowns that brought noisy protests when the drug dealers and homeless people in Downtown Eastside retreated to other neighborhoods. "I recognize the futility of enforcement alone," he said.

Now, social agencies run programs in Vancouver that would raise eyebrows elsewhere. The provincial health department has a storefront office where addicts come to safely inject themselves with drugs. Another program gives out methadone. Another provides free sterile needles. The mayor is pushing a plan to distribute prescription pills to substitute for illegal drugs.

But his Olympic assurances are greeted with hard-learned skepticism on the grimy streets of Downtown Eastside. Many of the men who peer out from blankets on the concrete and the women who push shopping carts full of food scraps expect the worst.

"They'll just sweep us street people out of the way for the Olympics," Abraham Posey, 50, said with a shrug. He has lived in the bug-infested hotels in the neighborhood for 30 years, he said. "When it's all over, we'll be back."

Hed Kandi
Jul 23, 2007, 3:49 PM
Great article. The situation in Vancouver is nothing short of embarrassing!

SpongeG
Jul 23, 2007, 10:14 PM
too bad there is no solution

leftside
Jul 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
> Sullivan said he is trying to deal with what is in fact a national problem.
> Most of the people roaming the streets in Downtown Eastside drifted
> there from other towns because of the tolerance, the climate
> and the supply of drugs from Asia, he said
Not a lot we can do about the climate or supply of drugs, but there is a lot we can do in regard to the tolerance. You can ticketed in all areas of the city for jaywalking, but selling crack in the DTES to mentally insane people seems to be a perfectly legal business.

It would help if a lot of the SRO's were sold to developers and social housing created in other areas of the city. The current ghetto simply attracts people down on their luck, and rather than getting the support they require to find work they simply end up doing crack like all their neighbours.

The re-opening of Riverview will also help.

Atlanta solved their problem and so can we.

Delirium
Jul 24, 2007, 12:42 AM
atlanta didn't solve their problem - they just covered it up.

quote from:
www.iowastatedaily.com/news/1996/07/25/UndefinedSection/The-Dark.Side.Of.The.Olympic.Games-1087275.shtml

"Techwood Homes was the first public housing complex constructed in the U.S. back in 1935. It was razed to build the Olympic Village.

One thousand tenants were tossed out of their homes at Techwood. Atlanta's city government utilized the law of eminent domain to seize other property. Ten thousand people lost their homes.

Three homeless shelters were also torn down in order to construct the Olympic Centennial Park.

In addition to the mass eviction of Atlanta's citizens, legislation was enacted to make sure the embarrassing underside of Atlanta was never seen by its esteemed guests.

The city established "Vagrant Free Zones," making it illegal to walk through a parking lot if your car isn't parked on the lot.

It's also illegal to be in a vacant building, sleep on a park bench or engage in "aggressive panhandling."

It's okay, though. In order to compensate for the rise in arrests as a result of these city ordinances, Atlanta had constructed a city jail. It was the first construction site completed after Atlanta won the bid to host the Games.

All done to erase any evidence of homelessness in Atlanta."

---------
this wouldn't fly here and really, it doesn't solve a thing. i'm not sure what to do but i think de-centralizing all these social services in one area is definitely a start.

agrant
Jul 24, 2007, 1:47 AM
The re-opening of Riverview will also help.Riverview is open. I think you mean growing Riverview back to the size it was years ago.

Hourglass
Jul 24, 2007, 2:52 AM
Well, not to minimize the problem, but the Washington Post writing an article like this is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. There are parts of DC which, when I visited a few years back, were poster children for urban decay and lawlessness.

Anyway, speaking as someone who hasn't lived in Vancouver for some time but returns maybe once or twice a year, it appears to me, that over time, the situation in the DES has gone from bad to worse. It was always a gritty area -- even when Woodwards was around (a long time ago, my Dad used to run a medical clinic in the area -- I don't think he'd even consider it now). But I remember driving by the corner of Main and Hastings a couple of years ago and being absolutely appalled by what I saw. Vancouver??? It felt more like south-central LA.

Beyond the safe injection site, has the Four Pillars drug strategy actually been implemented? It appears to me that Vancouver (and in particular the DES) is taking the brunt of the burden. Why aren't other communities in Vancouver and around the Lower Mainland sharing responsibility?

SpongeG
Jul 24, 2007, 5:25 AM
there is a methadone clinic in new westminster and surrey has some programs

but the overall GVRD is so disjointed and each city wants to do its own thing it seems

i think the outer cities are hppy they don't have to deal with what Vancouver has

SFUVancouver
Jul 26, 2007, 12:15 AM
I've forwarded this article to my MLA in a letter I drafted this afternoon. I would encourage others to do the same.

johnjimbc
Jul 26, 2007, 12:34 AM
Though I'll be the first to say in DC it has improved in part due to some movement of population to MD suburbs, the city government has done a great deal to build more housing across the city and to invest in the neighborhood communities throughout the city. While most of the new housing near the downtown core is high-end residential, they've also added thousands of new homes and completely rebuilt community areas in some of the poorest areas. Crime is down dramatically across the board as well, though still nothing like Canadian cities.

The point of my post isn't to refute your comments about DC (or any other US city) so please don't take it that way. US cities in general could learn so much from Canadian cities. But DC should get credit for the hard work they've done, coming in a relatively short time (dozen years or so) from a badly corrupt and frightening city to one of the healthiest cities financially, socially, and culturally in the US. It has become a very desirable area with competent governmental structure and officials. As a result, livability has soared and unemployment is lower than virtually any major city in the US, hovering around 3 - 4 %.

My point is I have seen bad parts of DC recently, and nothing I've seen there in the past couple of years prepared me for the sense of utter decay you still get in parts of the well-named "down east." Something really is needed to pull that area up to a minimal sense of normalcy, though I have no idea where to start.

It pains me to see some advocates for that area presenting it as a haven for people; I just can't imagine anyone trapped in that existence feels protected from anything. There has to be a way to bring some sense of community health to that area, protecting the rights of the citizens there while raising the baseline health of the neighborhood.