PDA

View Full Version : Market flips. Condos out, apartment towers in.

MarkDaMan
Jul 11, 2007, 2:53 PM
Developers flip-flop as condos convert to rentals
Daily Journal of Commerce
by Kennedy Smith
07/11/2007

To build condos or apartments, that is the question Portland developers have pondered as market forces have shifted in the last two years from a flurry of condominium conversions to a lack of rental units in the central city.

And Portland’s showed some indicators that the condo craze is fading.

In the last couple of years, condominiums sold out before they were even built. In April 2006, almost half of the units at the new Irving Street Towers at 2109 N.W. Irving St. sold on the first day of sales. Developers have seen that sales pace slow considerably, especially for condo towers slated to come online in the next few months. The Westerly, a 104-unit, 14-story condominium tower in Northwest Portland that will open later this year, is just 40 percent sold.

“The market has slowed a little bit for us,” the Westerly’s developer, Jack Onder, said.

But apartments are leasing “like gangbusters” at The Harrison, a three-building condominium conversion and apartment redevelopment, said Reed Kirk, sales manager for the development.

Unico Properties and architectural firm GGLO, both of Seattle, late last month received permits to build a $70 million, 16-story apartment tower, The Lovejoy, along with a Safeway store next door, between 12th and 14th avenues and Marshall and Lovejoy streets in the Pearl District.

Unico decided more than two years ago to build rental units rather than condos, according to Greg Van Patten, Unico’s manager of multifamily investment.

Other Portland developers have waffled on condos versus apartments. Notably, Opus Northwest and John Carroll, developers of the West End’s Ladd Tower, switched their plan to apartments from condominiums as the market changed.

“We wanted to be ahead of the curve in terms of rental projects at the time when just about all the development activity were condos,” Van Patten said. “We saw it coming that (apartments) would be needed.”

By being one of Portland’s first developers of new apartment buildings in the last half-decade, Unico could set a standard for rental rates. The average monthly rent will be around $1,700 per month for the 231 apartments that range from 400 to 1,100 square feet, Van Patten said.

Over at the redeveloped Harrison, one-bedroom apartments are renting for between $1,100 and $1,300 per month, Kirk said.

“The common perception is that $1,700 a month is, ‘Oh my gosh, why would you do that?’” Van Patten said. “But I went through the calculation and if you take a similarly sized condo unit and take what you’d pay for it, along with principal interest, (homeowner association) dues, monthly housing costs, it’s quite a bit more than that for the same size unit.”

High rents are also a product of high land and construction costs coupled with no public incentives, Van Patten said.

In October 2005, City Council changed the guidelines for Portland’s New Multiple Unit Housing Property Tax Exemption, which had offered tax breaks to developers of new projects. The tweak meant only 100 percent affordable housing developments would be eligible for the tax break.

Trammell Crow, developer of the Alexan project in South Waterfront, was the first to lose out on the expected tax exemption, and Unico, with the Lovejoy project, followed, Van Patten said.

“We started on the assumption that it would qualify for the exemption,” he said. “When that went away, it forced us to rethink the whole project ... so rents are higher.”

The apartment market is leveling out, Gary Winkler, a multifamily broker at commercial real estate firm Colliers International, said.

So many condo conversions took place in the last few years, he said, the market started weighing too heavily on one side.

“It was destabilized to the point that (condos) are staying on the market much longer; projects are not selling out,” he said. “The obvious thing to do is move over to apartments.”

The good news for developers re-entering the world of apartments is that financial institutions are following the changing tide too.

It’s more difficult now to get institutional funding for condominium developments, Winkler said, because of the condo market slowdown. Investors and banks are more willing to give money to developers building apartments, which they predict have a better chance of returning on investment, he said.

http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?recid=29731&userID=1

urbanlife
Jul 11, 2007, 7:08 PM
good to see there are more than willing to keep pushing out Portland's younger population. Shame seeing we are the ones making Portland what it is.

360Rich
Jul 11, 2007, 8:39 PM
^^^ No kidding, it's really a shame the downtown projects are pricing out the 'creative class' and those of us with kids.

saeternes
Jul 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
It's interesting. Ownership of a fairly expensive condo can be very pricey with high HOAs and regular property taxes (not discounted). If the same can be had for less on a monthly basis, and the difference invested, then the only economic advantages to owning a condo would be possible value increase over time.

PacificNW
Jul 11, 2007, 10:46 PM
Also, I think the Creative Class can be very creative seeking/finding affordable housing/work spaces. If I remember correctly there are developers in the area actively proposing/designing/building affordable living/work spaces for the Creative Class around the Portland area. I realize the Pearl district, and probably, the Central Eastside is rapidly pricing many of the Creative Class "out" of their respective districts but there are many area's of the city ripe for the creative types. Only thing is once they discover and nurture that district the rest of Portland wants to live there...A never ending cycle. I do think Portland, and other cities, must be careful not to become too expensive for the creative types or people/families (not necessarily part of the creative class). We need a healthy mix.

rsbear
Jul 12, 2007, 12:36 AM
The pricing of condos and apartments is generally driven by the free market - supply and demand and all that. Rich people can pay to live in nice areas and poor people can't. That's why it sucks to be poor. Government can mess with the market by giving incentives, requiring "market priced" units, tax breaks, building housing projects, etc. But the underlying market driven price or real estate is a hard fact of life and expecting that developers will do something for any class or group of people is unrealistic - they are in the business to make money.

PacificNW
Jul 12, 2007, 1:14 AM
⤴⤴ I have to agree....

InlandEmpire
Jul 12, 2007, 3:41 AM
So I remember hearing that Seattle's 'creative class' was being priced out of the city and relocating to Portland....... if Portland prices them out, where to next? (thinking....Spokane, Boise, SLC???) Or, will they resort to living in the outskirts of the city they love?

PacificNW
Jul 12, 2007, 4:05 AM
I think the N/NE/SE will be the next logical districts of PDX for the creative.....they're still relatively affordable....

zilfondel
Jul 12, 2007, 4:55 AM
I realize the Pearl district, and probably, the Central Eastside is rapidly pricing many of the Creative Class "out" of their respective districts but there are many area's of the city ripe for the creative types.

You mean the Pearl and South Waterfront... what little residential the CEID has is quite affordable, particularly if you don't want a kitchen or bathroom. :banana:

2oh1
Jul 12, 2007, 5:37 AM
Prices are skyrocketing, and anyone who can't afford $1,000 will be pushed out of downtown.

...and the Pearl.
...and NW.
...and Goose Hollow will be next.

Personally, I hate terms like "creative class" and "working class." It feels as if the terms are tossed around to marginalize anyone who isn't rich. I'm not accusing anyone here of doing that - I'm just making a point.

Portland needs all kinds of people. If our inner neighborhoods become a sea of suits and little else, we will have lost so much more than can be put into words.

The $700 apartment I rented 4 years ago now goes for $900. Not upgraded, by the way.

I want to live downtown. As my alias implies, it's where I am, and it's an area I love. The problem is that I definitely see myself getting priced out of this city, and that scares me.

Leo
Jul 12, 2007, 6:18 AM
But the underlying market driven price or real estate is a hard fact of life and expecting that developers will do something for any class or group of people is unrealistic - they are in the business to make money.

It's true that they're in the business of making money, but that in itself does not automatically lead to the type of tunnel vision that is common among developers. I'm willing to bet that if a developer was building an entire town from scratch for profit, they would plan for working-class housing quite carefully and figure out a way to make money from it. They would not build an entire town of luxury housing because they know it wouldn't work; their expensive town would sit empty.

A downtown Portland that becomes exclusively luxury housing may actually not appeal to the market these developers are targeting. If demand and prices drop as a result, developers will have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. Plenty of industries have put themselves out of business by being short-sighted, and some have caused massive collateral damage in the process (paid for, of course, by the taxpayer ...)

rsbear
Jul 12, 2007, 6:26 AM
I sure hope that doesn't happen - the city needs people that care about it, like you.

mcbaby
Jul 12, 2007, 1:21 PM
if people sit back and allow apartments to go condo then new condo projects become luxury apartments, then where will the working class live? who will make the rich person's latte? will the rich people have to get "live in" maids so Tia doesn't have to ride the max all the way to Hillsboro? will rich people have to send their kids to private schools out of town because all the families have moved to cheaper towns and our public schools have shut down? will the rich people be driving their minivans out to tigard for First Thursday cause that's where the artists are? will people start living seven per one bedroom apartment like in San Francisco because there's no rent control? will portland collapse in on itself because of short-sighted politicians and greedy businessmen and the so-called portland development commision?

PDX City-State
Jul 12, 2007, 2:48 PM
I think the N/NE/SE will be the next logical districts of PDX for the creative.....they're still relatively affordable....

You're about five years late on that one. North Portland has been the place for about seven years now.

rsbear
Jul 12, 2007, 3:31 PM
if people sit back and allow apartments to go condo then new condo projects become luxury apartments, then where will the working class live? who will make the rich person's latte? will the rich people have to get "live in" maids so Tia doesn't have to ride the max all the way to Hillsboro? will rich people have to send their kids to private schools out of town because all the families have moved to cheaper towns and our public schools have shut down? will the rich people be driving their minivans out to tigard for First Thursday cause that's where the artists are? will people start living seven per one bedroom apartment like in San Francisco because there's no rent control? will portland collapse in on itself because of short-sighted politicians and greedy businessmen and the so-called portland development commision?

Yes, mcbaby, if someone's job skills are limited to making lattes then their choice of residence maybe narrow. That is true in every major city on the West coast, not just Portland.

zilfondel
Jul 13, 2007, 12:40 AM
Considering Portland doesn't even have all that many rich people, downtown seems like its between phases... not enough retail, not enough residents - not nice enough or amenities for the wealthy, too high of prices and not enough units available for everyone else. As far as office space and construction is concerned, it doesn't even have high enough rents to justify new construction!

Aah well, all that vacant land will be a very nice asset for the city for many, many years to come, as a blank canvass for architects to forge a new city. :D

(I'm looking at this in a positive light. I mean, would it really be a good thing for the whole central city to be suddenly built out in 10 years? Even Vancouver is complaining about their monotonous architecture...)

downtownpdx
Jul 19, 2007, 4:51 AM
^^^ I would definitely like to see more residential development downtown, and it seems to be creeping in with the ZGF tower and Park Avenue West. Isn't there new office construction in the works right now? Like the two just mentioned, 1st and Main, the Lovejoy project in the Pearl, and the possible tower on SW Columbia? It's actually nice to have a more incremental growth pattern downtown -- although sometimes I really wish some of those surface lots in the West End and near the waterfront would just fill in. But downtown has a great variety of architecture, and I wouldn't want some of the glassy monotony you find in Vancouver. (Sorry to get off the subject...)

arbeiter
Jul 19, 2007, 6:50 PM
Portland has lots of great neighborhoods, and when you look at the increases in rent compared to other cities, they're minimal. Portland is one of the few major cities in the west where you can still live off of little.