Jun 8, 2007, 5:10 PM
Voila!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Coltrain78/rsBelammyhill001.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Coltrain78/rsBelammyhill003.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Coltrain78/rsBelammyhill002.jpg

Yes, no?

ExcaliburKid
Jun 8, 2007, 5:13 PM
Great location, not sure about the size of the units, could be smaller ft2-wise. Im with-holding voting until I see color, but as of right now :tup:

Coldrsx
Jun 8, 2007, 5:18 PM
much better than the last...

but i need color and materials before i pass judgement.

240glt
Jun 8, 2007, 5:28 PM
Definitely a step in the right direction! :cheers:

murman
Jun 8, 2007, 5:28 PM
Not enough info to properly asssess.

Deepstar
Jun 8, 2007, 5:32 PM
So far I like it, but color and materials are important. This building really isn't much different than Vetro in Calgary. If it had the same colors and materials it would be basically a carbon copy of it. With good materials and colors, this could be a really nice project.

ExcaliburKid
Jun 8, 2007, 5:38 PM
Really hope they dont chince on the north elevation. Would hate to be staying in that hotel and looking at a shitty back-side of a building.

Kevin_foster
Jun 8, 2007, 5:52 PM
^ agreed.

m0nkyman
Jun 8, 2007, 6:02 PM
Generally design is good. I like the massing and the roofline. One of the few locations that I'm not overly concerned about the streetscape, so given a proviso that I don't hate the materials and finishes, I give this one a thumbs up.

Hootch
Jun 8, 2007, 6:21 PM
I like it alot better than the old rendering!

WhipperSnapper
Jun 8, 2007, 6:35 PM
very messy - still like it better than the last eventhough it was more cohesive than this pieced together design

Coldrsx
Jun 8, 2007, 7:03 PM
i wish they continued the top 5 floor thing all the way down.

240glt
Jun 8, 2007, 7:04 PM
I'm going to be on the roof of Park Place sometime in the next week or so, I'll take my camera & get some site pix so that this can be photoshopped

murman
Jun 8, 2007, 7:55 PM
The more I see this, the more I think "it's like wiping my @ss with... 15-year-old blueprints".

240glt
Jun 8, 2007, 8:02 PM
K.. the first drawing looks very 1992, but the third looks good. Obviously the quality of these initial drawings is not good, I think we need to wait for better renderings before we start wiping our asses with really uncomfy T.P.;)

Kevin_foster
Jun 8, 2007, 8:28 PM

But your assessment was

The more I see this, the more I think "it's like wiping my @ss with... 15-year-old blueprints".

Good assessment!

feepa
Jun 8, 2007, 8:48 PM
K.. the first drawing looks very 1992, but the third looks good. Obviously the quality of these initial drawings is not good, I think we need to wait for better renderings before we start wiping our asses with really uncomfy T.P.;)

I just realized that T.P is pretty close to TNP....

m0nkyman
Jun 8, 2007, 9:01 PM
Which, from here forward shall be rendered as TnP

Hardhatdan
Jun 8, 2007, 9:58 PM
Meh. Definitly not as great as I hoped.

BZKA is so sterile. Cut, paste, repeat. Ok we get it you like white stucco, punched windows, some curtain wall (BUT NOT TOO MUCH!!) and massive huge units. Thanks, can we get something that actually breaks the mould a little bit?

Coldrsx
Jun 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
^coming soon to a city near you;)

Hardhatdan
Jun 8, 2007, 10:04 PM
^coming soon to a city near you;)
Stop pulling my pug and do it already poopiehead!

ExcaliburKid
Jun 8, 2007, 10:04 PM
(@ Cold) Riiiiiight haha.
I'll be too old to care by the time something shock'n'awes me in E-town. :D Everything up to this point has just been, "hey thats nice", or "hey that sucks"

Coldrsx
Jun 8, 2007, 10:05 PM
^give me a few more months kids...im working on something that will make you all happy...very happy.

i hope:)

Hardhatdan
Jun 8, 2007, 10:06 PM
Is it my birthday present?

ExcaliburKid
Jun 8, 2007, 10:07 PM
^give me a few more months kids...im working on something that will make you all happy...very happy.

i hope:)

Even murman? :whip:

Hardhatdan
Jun 8, 2007, 10:09 PM
Is it my birthday present?

murman
Jun 8, 2007, 10:49 PM
Which, from here forward shall be rendered as TnP
:haha: :tup:

murman
Jun 8, 2007, 10:50 PM

vaht eez zis 'appy you speek ov?

CanadianCentaur
Jun 8, 2007, 11:14 PM
That proposal's a lot better than the original for sure, but I'd love to see colors!

rapid_business
Jun 8, 2007, 11:19 PM
vaht eez zis 'appy you speek ov?

The prelim's look nice, but I want an address Cold.....! Murman will have something to smile about though...

newfangled
Jun 9, 2007, 12:21 AM
These aren't great, put I figured I would post some skylines with the B&W Bellamy tower:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/newfangled2001/Bellamy5.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/newfangled2001/Bellamy3.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/newfangled2001/Bellamy2.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/newfangled2001/Bellamy4.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/newfangled2001/Bellamy1.jpg

Dimensions are about as accurate as I can get.

Tobyoby
Jun 9, 2007, 1:39 AM
Has potential, but it's hard too tell from the black and white rendering. It looks like Vertro/Sasso, but given the right materials might turn out better.

danby
Jun 9, 2007, 1:47 AM
Tower looks soo smooshed there, there soo many other places to build towers. But they choose right there at least they could of gone more south taken out the 2 medium high-rises further down the hill...

But looks alright tho does look alot like icon/omega i hope its not white then it might start to look like all the TNP buildings in the city all the same all brick or red stucco

SunCoaster
Jun 9, 2007, 6:28 AM
These aren't great, put I figured I would post some skylines with the B&W Bellamy tower:

Dimensions are about as accurate as I can get.

:previous: Nice job newfangled ... how'd you do it? ... only place where you're off is Bellamy Hill itself ... looks 'flat' ... but, must be tough to build a hill into your pics ... that said again my compliments :tup:

canucklehead2
Jun 9, 2007, 6:53 AM
Meh, Bah. It's an ok design. Completely uninspired and probably too close and stocky to look good next to Edmonton House, but if it does get built as is, it wouldn't be a complete crime. Hopefully the developer will opt to go colourless or at least a very muted pallate of grey, white and blue. I'd hate to see this in say red, pink or sand colour...

IKAN104
Jun 9, 2007, 2:13 PM
Building: Too early to tell.

rapid_business
Jun 9, 2007, 2:35 PM
Location is only due to the view potential. Same reason Chateau Lacombe wants to build a condo off their parkade... the views are some of the best in Canada... (so I hear)

Kevin_foster
Jun 9, 2007, 3:34 PM
^ not the best in canada. Think Vancouver, think Calgary w/ their mountains.. etc. - but I agree, the location is ok - but hell; it's more people in the core. THESE people will use the river valley like none other. THESE people will drive past the people who bought into VivaCity and smile :) - which by the way is moving very fast ;/

Design - a little dated. So far good for Edmonton though. I was hoping it would be on par with CP and the like... reminds me kind of the aurora renderings.

Floorplans - can't tell - but what I've heard, pretty crap. Suites are too large..

Pricing - Like HHD, I can't wrap my head around this one.

We need to build 10+ condo towers in the core, now, with prices going from $210,000 - $300,000. Like someone said, do THAT and expect to sell out in under 48 hours. If CP tower 1 could sell out in (2 hours?) record time, and their pricing $280k + .... think what doing smaller units at a better price, IN the core would do...

If only I had the money to kickstart it with 5 or 6 30 storey towers...

Note: CONDOS are SUPPOSED to be a cheaper alternative to your traditional HOUSE. This is apparently not so in Edmonton. Puzzling to say the least.

CMD UW
Jun 9, 2007, 3:41 PM
Ditto....need more, I voted need colour.

Not bad though....

CMD UW
Jun 9, 2007, 3:53 PM
^ not the best in canada. Think Vancouver, think Calgary w/ their mountains.. etc. - but I agree, the location is ok - but hell; it's more people in the core. THESE people will use the river valley like none other. THESE people will drive past the people who bought into VivaCity and smile :) - which by the way is moving very fast ;/
You are absolutely correct. It is a great location close to the central core (Jasper, 101 Street, etc)

Design - a little dated. So far good for Edmonton though. I was hoping it would be on par with CP and the like... reminds me kind of the aurora renderings.
Dated? I somewhat disagree. But, I need to see a colour rendering to determine this.

We need to build 10+ condo towers in the core, now, with prices going from $210,000 - $300,000. Like someone said, do THAT and expect to sell out in under 48 hours. If CP tower 1 could sell out in (2 hours?) record time, and their pricing $280k + .... think what doing smaller units at a better price, IN the core would do...
Markets and return will determine unit sizes and pricing. I agree, there is a considerable lack of small entry units in newer buildings. The Edmonton market can only support so much $400K and up condo product. I have a feeling that this market segment is going to saturate itself over the next 12-24 months.

Note: CONDOS are SUPPOSED to be a cheaper alternative to your traditional HOUSE. This is apparently not so in Edmonton. Puzzling to say the least.Says who? Condos are designed to provide a 'product' to a 'market'. The developer reserves the ultimate right to determine the market category they wish to serve with their respective development.

m0nkyman
Jun 9, 2007, 4:37 PM
I'm assuming it'll look along the lines of these:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j283/thegreatscaper/IMG_0477.jpg

It's a contemporary look in my books.

Kevin_foster
Jun 9, 2007, 5:01 PM
^ yeah but almost 2x as high :D

Jasper and one o nin
Jun 9, 2007, 5:05 PM
I think its pretty nice for any city. very innovative for Edmonton. I think, however, the standard has changed in this city. Good to see - I like it

Habanero
Jun 9, 2007, 6:09 PM
I vboted that I wanted to see more color. It's one of those projects that could go either way depending on the materials.

CMD UW
Jun 9, 2007, 7:49 PM
@Habanero - I'm with you here dude...

CanadianCentaur
Jun 9, 2007, 8:18 PM
I don't care if the current proposal's dated in design. It's still light years better in looks than the original, which I thought was kind of ugly.

Atlguy33
Jun 9, 2007, 8:29 PM
Nice job with the rendering, Newfangled!

I think the building looks good, just have to see colors like everyone else.
As far as location, hmmmm... I know they will have awesome veiws, but I agree with Danby and Canucklehead, it looks to be too close for comfort to Edm. House. Not sure how the skyline will look as far as "balance" is concerned, with those two side by side, almost the same height, but we will get used to it. I would have preferred the Commonwealth Sq. location, but I'm sure eventually something else will go there.

Certainly the Bellamy Hill area is going to get quite dense in the next several years with this one, the Chateau Lacombe condo tower, and the Procura Econo Lodge tower.

newfangled
Jun 9, 2007, 11:40 PM
it looks to be too close for comfort to Edm. House. Not sure how the skyline will look as far as "balance" is concerned, with those two side by side, almost the same height, but we will get used to it.

Two buildings, that close together and that similar in height, but which have absolutely nothing in common? I'm sure that we'll get used to it, but I would prefer if they either lopped ten floors off of the Belamy tower, or added an extra ten on.

And I really like the pair of Crowne Plaza and Edmonton House, so I think that it's too bad that Bellamy won't have some of that nice radial symmetry. Here's hoping that the Crowne Plaza condo will maybe try it. (although here's hoping that even without the radial symmetry Bellamy tower won't be all top-heavy like Altavista)

Hardhatdan
Jun 10, 2007, 4:31 AM
Crowne plaza will have incredible views. Unreal views.

Coldrsx
Jun 10, 2007, 7:37 PM
rumour has this tower being built in full before a single unit will be sold...

Coldrsx
Jun 10, 2007, 7:40 PM

yes, even murman.:tup:

rapid_business
Jun 10, 2007, 8:47 PM
rumour has this tower being built in full before a single unit will be sold...

Probably banking on increased unit cost outpacing the interest they'll be paying.

vaportrail
Jun 11, 2007, 4:17 PM
Dark blue glazing? I like it other than the apparently insipid treatment of the parkade exterior. Geez, if you have to rely on trees ...

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=540094

murman
Jun 11, 2007, 4:34 PM
Dark blue glazing? I like it other than the apparently insipid treatment of the parkade exterior. Geez, if you have to rely on trees ...

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=540094

And the top parking level deck is open to the elements????? :koko:

Sorry, kids, but the more I look at this, the more this design smacks of "just doesn't get it".

I also like how the models of surrounding buildings are pancaked to obscure the massing in the area. Nice slight of hand!

nunuangel99
Jun 11, 2007, 4:39 PM
And the top parking level deck is open to the elements????? :koko:

Sorry, kids, but the more I look at this, the more this design smacks of "just doesn't get it".

I also like how the models of surrounding buildings are pancaked to obscure the massing in the area. Nice slight of hand!

Probably visitor parking only, who gives a shit!!

Waiting for murman's approval of any building in Edmonton in 5,4, 3 or wait...never!!

CMD UW
Jun 11, 2007, 5:07 PM
Not bad at all, although the rooftop should be a greenroof NOT visitor parking.

7.5/10

ExcaliburKid
Jun 11, 2007, 5:20 PM
Might as well call it Icon the Third...
I like it though

murman
Jun 11, 2007, 6:01 PM

No kidding. In this day and age, who the heck puts open-air parking on the top of an apartment podium?

Love the 'who cares' attitude out there, too. No wonder Edmonton's buildings end up looking like they came off a (used) roll of toilet paper.

CMD UW
Jun 11, 2007, 6:16 PM
Might as well call it Icon the Third...
I like it though

Icon the 3rd, explain? I see no similarities other than its colour scheme.

240glt
Jun 11, 2007, 6:21 PM
Love the 'who cares' attitude out there, too. No wonder Edmonton's buildings end up looking like they came off a (used) roll of toilet paper.

pfft.

This sentence confuses me.

ExcaliburKid
Jun 11, 2007, 6:55 PM
Icon the 3rd, explain? I see no similarities other than its colour scheme.

You're right, the colour scheme is the only thing I was referring to.

Kevin_foster
Jun 11, 2007, 7:12 PM
8/10

Who cares about the Parking ... have you seen the grade it's on? I think it would be impossible to do all UG - none of the condos on that slope have UG parking - the entire base of Chateau Lacombe is parking, right? If you didnt have parking above grade on this slope, you would have a giant concrete block anyways...

Also - the cars on the upper deck - who knows what thats all about ???

murman
Jun 11, 2007, 7:14 PM
This sentence confuses me.

If the concept of greenroof technologies confuses you, I think we've found the root of the issue.

Coldrsx
Jun 11, 2007, 7:20 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x164/coldrsx/colorbellamy.jpg

Coldrsx
Jun 11, 2007, 7:21 PM
parking should all have been covered....they could have put cool townhomes facing south.

240glt
Jun 11, 2007, 7:50 PM
If the concept of greenroof technologies confuses you, I think we've found the root of the issue.

No, the sentence, dickhead.:koko:

CMD wrote about visitor parking on the roof, which does not make sense. Is he talking about what appears to be the 5th level terrace or the actual roof ?

Are you , bychance a professional asshole, or is it just a hobby ?

Coldrsx
Jun 11, 2007, 7:52 PM
^he is APAAG

Accredited Professional A$$hole Authority Group

and we wouldnt have him any other way

murman
Jun 11, 2007, 9:51 PM
No, the sentence, dickhead.:koko:

CMD wrote about visitor parking on the roof, which does not make sense. Is he talking about what appears to be the 5th level terrace or the actual roof ?

Are you , bychance a professional asshole, or is it just a hobby ?

Charm school got you a bit on edge, does it?

The Chemist
Jun 11, 2007, 10:16 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x164/coldrsx/colorbellamy.jpg

See, now this I like. I didn't like the Oliver, period - not because it's in Edmonton but because the design just doesn't look good to me. This one, on the other hand, just works. Very nice. :)

I don't like the uncovered parking, though. It should have been underground with townhouses or retail in the podium.

240glt
Jun 11, 2007, 10:38 PM
Charm school got you a bit on edge, does it?

Didn't go to charm school.

What's your excuse ?

ETA I now see the parking area that CMD was referring to... at the back corner at the top of the parkade. I don't see what the issue is, if it is visitor parking. That back corner is going to butt right up against Park Square, so it'd hardly be a nice place to use as common area or terrace anyways.

I'm a big fan of keeping the visitor parking totally seperate from main parking anyways, for a multitude of reasons. This works for me.

Hardhatdan
Jun 11, 2007, 10:56 PM
That open parking on the back faces onto a horrid back alley. I'm not sure anyone would want to spend time on that side of a roof terrace.

I don't know, as long as you cant see the cars from the ground level asthetically it seems fine. However, having cars idling below your condo would be annoying.
Overall, they should probably reconsider that idea.

This tower is okay, but too many punched out windows again...extend the curtainwall downward.

m0nkyman
Jun 11, 2007, 11:24 PM
Single women getting dropped off at their doors by a guy would probably be a bit more comfortable with this than in an underground parkade. You need somewhere to get dropped off at and picked up at... taxis and what not. I'm thinking that the grade of street makes that a no-go, so this works for me.

CMD UW
Jun 11, 2007, 11:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, given the extreme slope I don't have any issues with a portion of the parking being above-ground. I just don't think the top of the parkade should be used for parking at all. Green it up baby!

Atlguy33
Jun 12, 2007, 1:10 AM
Now that I have seen the color rendering, my verdict is officially: I like it.
Just too close to Edm. House for my comfort.

Hardhatdan
Jun 12, 2007, 1:29 AM
Is this another 3 sided bzka special? It better not be, they are notorious for that.
This building is fairly meh still for me, from things I heard it was just supposed to be so much better.

basilbrush
Jun 12, 2007, 2:19 AM
The upper floor details are nicer than the Icon towers, but the main tower portion is still too blocky. The above grade parking makes sense for the location, but there are many improvements that could be made on this one.

CMD UW
Jun 12, 2007, 2:29 AM
Is this another 3 sided bzka special? It better not be, they are notorious for that.
This building is fairly meh still for me, from things I heard it was just supposed to be so much better.
Nope, curtainwall and windows on the north facade.

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2007, 2:31 AM
while adding some modernism to the skyline...imagine this was downtown downtown....thats the biggest problem in Edmonton. We build, as we should, all river valley and ignore the warehouse area.

HomeInMyShoes
Jun 12, 2007, 3:01 AM
^It'll get there. Q is a start for the fringe and with the two ICON towers it's a definite improvement for things outside the valley. Get that one commercial tower going as we're hoping and it'll seem bustling development-wise.

CMD UW
Jun 12, 2007, 4:50 AM
/\ Exactly....the fact is that there are some better parcels with views.

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2007, 2:48 PM
^exactly....the fact is there are which makes prices ridiculous. Take a warehouse city view 25 storey tower, price it right, sell it out in a day.

Kevin_foster
Jun 12, 2007, 2:52 PM
^ what he said

rapid_business
Jun 12, 2007, 2:53 PM
so who's got the capital or access to capital to make this happen?

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2007, 2:58 PM
^plenty of people.

Imagine Vancouver just built out coal harbour, beach ave, and pacific BLVD, but left the core out of it?

whyteknight
Jun 12, 2007, 3:36 PM
With curtain wall all the way down:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/whyteknight1/bellamy.png

...Im curious to hear what people think of the stucco balconies on this thing!

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2007, 3:41 PM
^nope, i prefer stucco...that curtain wall is too contrasting, maybe if it was the same color it would blend better.

rhubarb is growing.

whyteknight
Jun 12, 2007, 3:42 PM
To me, those balconies and horizontal lines of stucco remind me of hillside estates...a building which is not a masterpiece in my opinion.:yuck:

http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixwm/2003/08/211639.jpg

CMD UW
Jun 12, 2007, 7:32 PM
^plenty of people.

Imagine Vancouver just built out coal harbour, beach ave, and pacific BLVD, but left the core out of it?
Fact is that Vancouver didn't start building everywhere 20 years ago. It all started around the False Creek area and grew from there.

We are where Vancouver was 15 or so years ago ~ just starting to invest and build housing in our downtown.

SHOFEAR
Jun 12, 2007, 8:19 PM
colored render looks pretty nice. However the balconies blow. Your paying for floor to ceiling windows but the bottom four feet are useless since your staring at a solid surface.

vaportrail
Jun 12, 2007, 9:11 PM
colored render looks pretty nice. However the balconies blow. Your paying for floor to ceiling windows but the bottom four feet are useless since your staring at a solid surface.

I think everyone should remember that this project is currently in the rezoning stage. I suggest that the design is preliminary and much could change before a development proposal is submitted. As such, judgments on specific architectural detailing is likely premature.

Kevin_foster
Jun 12, 2007, 9:11 PM
I think it can be safely said EVERY Canadian city is behind Vancouver.

This is Edmonton!

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2007, 9:24 PM
"This is Edmonton!"

if i hear this as an excuse one more rhubarb time im gonna go nuclear.

Kevin_foster
Jun 12, 2007, 9:34 PM
What's with the rhubarb?

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2007, 9:40 PM
it is all about rhubarb

HomeInMyShoes
Jun 12, 2007, 11:13 PM
^What did rhubarb ever do to you? Mmm...rhubarb cobbler.

The only issue I have with stucco balconies is aging concerns. That's it. It can look great, so can pre-cast tinted concrete, so can cinderblocks if done well. Okay, maybe not cinderblocks. Execution means more than the material. A crappy design and builder can make the greatest material seem stale, oppresive and lifeless.

CanadianCentaur
Jun 12, 2007, 11:23 PM
What's with the rhubarb?

If you take a look at the color of the Oliver's podium and that pic of the condo tower in Vancouver in that thread as well, I think you'll see what Cold meant by rhubarb.

Hardhatdan
Jun 12, 2007, 11:32 PM
Cold you giving up swearing?

rapid_business
Jun 12, 2007, 11:36 PM

I'm pretty sure the railing/balconcy bit is glass. It appears to be a clear, non-tinted glass, but the rendering messed it up. Look at the original.

Xelebes
Jun 12, 2007, 11:56 PM
it is all about rhubarb

Rhubarb is springtime sustinence!!!

EdmTrekker
Jun 13, 2007, 12:07 AM

You are dead on - solid concrete balconys that you can not see out are just plain dumb. Who would buy a property like that? If you sit in the living room you can not look out the window and see anything (light even) - or if on the deck you must stand up to look over top.