PDA

View Full Version : The new Vancouver

SpongeG
Jun 3, 2007, 8:43 PM
DAVID BEERS

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

June 2, 2007 at 11:28 AM EDT

On Main Street in Vancouver is a tiny shop called Lucky's Comics, which my seven-year-old considers the centre of his universe. On the shelves are manga from Japan; on the walls are odd little sketches by locals. The people at Lucky's know my son well. With friends, he drew a comic book called Panda War and presented the bundle of pages, neatly stapled. The good merchants of Lucky's put it in their window and it sold, confirming my son's belief that he will produce the great Canadian graphic novel (with movie spinoffs).

Lucky's is just around the corner from our house and shares Main Street with ethnic eateries, designers' boutiques and resellers of antiques, books, clothes and records. Much of the "building stock" as a developer told me, is "poor to mediocre." True, but correlating rents have kept the place interesting. On Main, so far, you can still be lucky.

Of course, this is not the face that Vancouver presents to the world. That would be sleek towers, raked beaches. Clean, tight and shiny - a perfect planner's PowerPoint.

The official fastidiousness driving that vision is beginning to frighten. It threatens now to sterilize the last of what is lovably scruffy about Vancouver. It feeds on Olympics anxiety and the search for the next hot real-estate play.

The ethos is enshrined in a pair of city-hall initiatives rolled out recently by Mayor Sam Sullivan and his business-backed civic party, the Non-Partisan Association.

The first is "Civil City," a proposal to clean up the streets in time to welcome the global press crew in 2010. There is much to cheer in the document, including vows to reduce homelessness and open drug use by half.

Dig a bit deeper, though, and you find a blueprint for the "hyper-regulation of public space." That is the phrase of Micheal Vonn, policy director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

Ms. Vonn points to the document's enthusiasm for video monitoring of sidewalks. And for more private security by so-called "downtown ambassadors." And for new "no sit, no lie" bylaws preventing people from getting too comfortable. And for police cracking down on nuisance offences, such as spitting in public.

"Will we fine marathoners?" she asks with a wink. And why should police be given power to officially charge people with crimes, bypassing the crown counsel? Add it up and you have "a raft of tools that can be used to displace the public poor," she says, as well as protesters or anyone else deemed in need of scrubbing - mere pandering to people who wrongly believe they "have a right not to encounter diversity on the street."

The second big city hall initiative goes by the name of "EcoDensity." Again, it sounds good on first take. By building up low-rise areas of town, you create more housing, shorter commutes, a smaller "ecological footprint" for residents, all of it excellent in the abstract. But then you take a walk through what's been built in Vancouver's past decade and sense what is to come. Beneath the glass curtains along False Creek and Coal Harbour, the streetscapes are too crisply premeditated to sustain the organic funk of a Main Street. EcoDensity may be a remedy for global warming, but it is cold comfort for the soul.

Perhaps you're rolling your eyes as I fret about gentrification. Admittedly, I am part of the problem. We bought our old house eight years ago, fixed it up and now ride the updraft of Vancouver's soaring house prices.

The paradox is that as more space is hyper-regulated and ecodensified in Vancouver, the authentic appeal of Main Street will grow -- which will drive up its prices even further, changing it in the process.

So it is easy to dismiss me as one more post-yuppie who wants it both ways.

But look at Main Street through my son's eyes as we go on our rounds, seeking new distributors for another batch of his Panda War comics. He hobnobs with the guys at Lucky's, chats up the rock singer who owns Red Cat Records, introduces himself to a fellow with a book store over a sushi café. All of them hail the boy's arrival, speak in serious tones about his work, agree to distribute his wares for a 20-per-cent cut of the action.

To my son, and to a lot of grown-ups drawn to the area, Main Street is a model of what I'd call "permeable capitalism." Its nooks and crannies hold people who will happily explain how they gather, sift or hand-make what they sell. My son, at 7, learns from his visits, and is able to imagine himself a creative entrepreneur.

Contrast this with how Vancouver and many other places are smoothing themselves over, ratcheting up rents, preparing the ground for global franchises. Slick. Efficient. Impermeable. Perhaps now you understand the fear.

Founding editor of The Tyee, an online source for news and views based

in Vancouver

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070602.wxcobeers02/BNStory/specialComment/home

agrant
Jun 3, 2007, 10:36 PM
Huh? What's he trying to say? Housing prices are going up, things are changing..? Tell me something I don't know.

Holden West
Jun 3, 2007, 11:08 PM
Those low-rent spaces give life to the city. I hope that as an area gentrifies, the comic-book shops, record stores, vintage clothing stores etc. don't disappear but instead move over into neglected districts that need vitality. After all, none of us want to live in a downtown that resembles some McShoppingMallVille™.

SpongeG
Jun 3, 2007, 11:14 PM
it happens to all cities - look at new york - the artists have been forced out to brooklyn and now queens

Phil McAvity
Jun 14, 2007, 8:07 AM
Those low-rent spaces give life to the city. I hope that as an area gentrifies, the comic-book shops, record stores, vintage clothing stores etc. don't disappear but instead move over into neglected districts that need vitality. After all, none of us want to live in a downtown that resembles some McShoppingMallVille™.

What do you mean, "hope"? That's exactly what happens. It is this argument that organizations like DERA use to whine and complain about all those poor people being displaced as Vancouver's downtown eastside gets yuppified, but what they don't mention is that those people generally just move a bit further east.

TwoFace
Jun 14, 2007, 3:25 PM

I share your thoughts on that, although I live in the waterfront glass towers of Coal Harbour, my most enjoyable outings are to the "older neighborhoods" of town where there is a sense of community with lots of soul and stuff.
Each to his own but the Paris Hilton with little dog look of Yaletown or retired business man strolling the seawall of Coal Harbour just doesn't stir my neighborhood pride as much. I guess I'm an old Hippie at heart.

Lyle
Jun 18, 2007, 7:05 PM
From http://realestatejungle.blogspot.com/

Vancouver's Dorkiest Condo Names?

This somewhat tongue-in-cheek article, "Seattle's Dorkiest Condo Names," got me thinking a lot about the marketing machine that processes new residential real estate in Vancouver. Although it's written about Seattle, the article could have been written about almost any city undergoing a building boom. In highly competitive markets, it is the 'branding' of a project - not its design - that gives the developer a competitive edge in appealing to a given group; as a cynical architecture student, I would even argue that the more generic a city's current brand of architecture is, and the more inadequate the suites are in meeting the needs of buyers' imaginations, the more its producers need to rely on a marketing image to make it shine. Or just to make anyone buy it.

This phenomenon is certainly going on in Vancouver, too. While there are a lot of candidates for Vancouver's dorkiest condo name (the Elan, the Virtu, the Ritz, Soma, Uno, Firenze, Espana), my personal favorite is Bohemia. Surveying some of these websites, it quickly becomes clear that the developers are not in the business of selling the real estate itself, but an image or lifestyle. From Bohemia's website:

One day you want to go antiquing in Lower Shaughnessy, the next, it's bargain hunting in Mt. Pleasant. Whether it's finding that rare blues recording in Kitsilano, picking up fresh basil and curry from Granville
Island, or taking in a new play at the Stanley, Bohemia puts you right at the source.

On the flipside of the romantic image-crafting involved in condominium sales is the dispassionate, commodity-style buying and selling of properties also common in a hot real estate market. It seems that properties in Vancouver are bought increasingly not as homes, but as investments. Buying a unit from the builder and selling it once completed, never lived in; the quick renovate-and-flip; the purchase of units sight-unseen because the price and square footage are right: the person who applies these insider tricks judiciously stands to make a substantial chunk of change. But gone is the romantic notion of the 'family home,' to be lived in for years. Instead, even the amenities most often sought in a suburban family home - back yard, sunlit windows, ventilation, space to entertain - have been replaced by symbols of a nice place to live: granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors, mountain view. All of these 'amenities' - commodities, really - are not only much easier to communicate in a three-line real estate advertisement, but they are also much easier to construct without spending too much time thinking about the real quality of a space.

djh
Jun 18, 2007, 8:12 PM
From http://realestatejungle.blogspot.com/

This phenomenon is certainly going on in Vancouver, too. While there are a lot of candidates for Vancouver's dorkiest condo name (the Elan, the Virtu, the Ritz, Soma, Uno, Firenze, Espana), my personal favorite is Bohemia. Surveying some of these websites, it quickly becomes clear that the developers are not in the business of selling the real estate itself, but an image or lifestyle. From Bohemia's website:

Condo names are as bad as car names. And I agree, the blander the car, or condo, the more flashy the name they give it to pretend it is exciting.