PDA

View Full Version : Can you imagine if this happened to Shangri-La?

towerguy3
May 14, 2007, 5:26 AM
Can you imagine if this would've happened to Shangri-La during excavation?!!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/490327625_18a9611bb3.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/490327635_2b4ef12510.jpg

A wall collapsed at this excavation site in Dubai and water from an adjacent Marina poured into the excavation and turned the hole into a huge swimming pool. Note the crane sticking out of the water.

I don't think the Shangri-La people in Toronto want to look at this

mr.x
May 14, 2007, 5:34 AM
^ that's freakin awesome. so much for their artificial waterways!

Baro
May 14, 2007, 1:24 PM
at least they gained a new bay

slurrey
May 14, 2007, 2:14 PM
Epic Lol

Phil McAvity
May 14, 2007, 2:42 PM
Why did you post this in the British Columbia section if you are talking about the Shangri-La in Toronto? :shrug: It is especially confusing since a Shangri-La is also being built in Vancouver.

SLC
May 14, 2007, 4:30 PM
Why did you post this in the British Columbia section if you are talking about the Shangri-La in Toronto? :shrug: It is especially confusing since a Shangri-La is also being built in Vancouver.

Not to mention that neither project abuts a waterway.

jlousa
May 14, 2007, 6:06 PM
Funny you should post that, it partially happened at the Fairmont site in vancouver. No where near that extent though. While excavating below sea level water found it's way into the site, lucky only a few feet of the site flooded as the rest was above sealevel. They quickly blocked the source of the water and pumped it out. No damages incurred.

Hed Kandi
May 14, 2007, 7:35 PM
Has Vancouver prepared for the flood once the polar ice caps melt ?

CanadianCentaur
May 14, 2007, 7:49 PM
I'm not sure something like this would happen to the Shangri-La site in Vancouver, partly because that site's not that close to Coal Harbour or any other body of water. I don't even know if the bottom of the construction site was much below sea level, unless they had to put in deep pilings lest the tower sinks due to its weight, or what the soil and rock makeup is really like under downtown Van. Besides, I think that tower's already long since started going up above ground (how many floors is up to by now?)

The Fairmont Pacific Rim site is right by Coal Harbour, or at least very close to it, which I noticed as I passed by that site while in Vancouver near the end of April. That would explain why it got flooded like jlousa said.

The look on the developer's face as soon as he finds what happened to that site in Dubai? It'd be priceless! :haha:

officedweller
May 14, 2007, 7:51 PM
That did happen at the Quay West site a few years ago when it was being excavated.

TwoFace
May 14, 2007, 8:47 PM
The Fairmont Pacific Rim site is right by Coal Harbour, or at least very close to it, which I noticed as I passed by that site while in Vancouver near the end of April. That would explain why it got flooded like jlousa said.
The look on the developer's face as soon as he finds what happened to that site in Dubai? It'd be priceless! :haha:

Maybe the owner of Fairmont: Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Alsaud, also owns the Dubai site.

[quote=Hed KandiHas Vancouver prepared for the flood once the polar ice caps melt ?]

Interesting you should say that, as when I look at the Convention Center going up during "high tide" it looks like there is about 2 feet of clearance up to the floor.

agrant
May 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
What about that Erickson building near David Lam, at the edge of False Creek? I guess it could happen there, but I'm sure they built that wall pretty solid. I think they have some steal in place.

Has Vancouver prepared for the flood once the polar ice caps melt ?My understanding is that much of the polar ice is already floating in the sea, so it won't raise the sea level. Maybe that excludes the south. Think of an ice cube in your drink as the polar ice cap... Only ice that drains in from land can raise the level. I learned this on the Discovery channel. :)

mr.x
May 15, 2007, 3:27 AM
i blame towerguy3 for the fire at Shangri-la today. he must've cursed the building or something.

May 15, 2007, 1:53 PM
Maybe the owner of Fairmont: Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Alsaud

This oil-soaked, Saudi dictatorial theocrat doesn't "own" Fairmont. His company, Kingdom Holding Company has invested 3.9 billion in a joint venture with California-based Colony Capital (another investment company). Ain't business swell......

By the way, BC & AB are the only jurisdictions that each have 5 Fairmonts! Eat that Onterrible.....

raggedy13
May 16, 2007, 4:47 AM
I'm not sure something like this would happen to the Shangri-La site in Vancouver, partly because that site's not that close to Coal Harbour or any other body of water. I don't even know if the bottom of the construction site was much below sea level, unless they had to put in deep pilings lest the tower sinks due to its weight, or what the soil and rock makeup is really like under downtown Van.

From what I've heard, they hit bedrock... one of the reasons for the Shangri-La's slow excavation.

My understanding is that much of the polar ice is already floating in the sea, so it won't raise the sea level. Maybe that excludes the south. Think of an ice cube in your drink as the polar ice cap... Only ice that drains in from land can raise the level. I learned this on the Discovery channel. :)

You're right that floating ice doesn't raise water levels when it melts, but Antarctica and Greenland are pretty large sources of land-based ice... I'm still worried for Vancouver in the back of my mind.

vanhattan
May 16, 2007, 7:25 AM
What about that Erickson building near David Lam, at the edge of False Creek? I guess it could happen there, but I'm sure they built that wall pretty solid. I think they have some steal in place.

It could definately happen at this site, but rather unlikely. The Erickison building does have water constantly leaking into the excavated site, but they are constantly pumping it out. BTW, they did put in steel surry walls and finished the outer sea wall prior to excavation. They are putting in the first pilings this week.

vanhattan
May 16, 2007, 7:27 AM
Can you imagine if this would've happened to Shangri-La during excavation?!!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/490327625_18a9611bb3.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/490327635_2b4ef12510.jpg

A wall collapsed at this excavation site in Dubai and water from an adjacent Marina poured into the excavation and turned the hole into a huge swimming pool. Note the crane sticking out of the water.

I don't think the Shangri-La people in Toronto want to look at this

Amazing photo's. Can't believe someone got that shot!