PDA

View Full Version : LOS ANGELES | Park Fifth - Downtown | 820 FT / 250 M | 76 FLOORS

Pages : [1] 2 3

LosAngelesSportsFan
May 8, 2007, 2:33 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/Imyurdada/1-2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/Imyurdada/2.gif

High-profile L.A. residential tower unveiled
By Roger Vincent, Times Staff Writer
2:02 PM PDT, May 7, 2007

Plans for a $1 billion twin tower condominium complex overlooking Pershing Square park in downtown Los Angeles were unveiled Monday by developers who expect to build the tallest residential building west of Chicago.

At 76 stories, the taller of the two towers would dramatically alter the city's skyline and rival in height the U.S. Bank office skyscraper. The project, named Park Fifth, also calls for a 14-story five-star hotel, fronting on the park across from the historic Biltmore Hotel.

The project joins several other massive downtown developments planned from Staples Center to Bunker Hill. The two blue-green glass condo towers would rise above the hotel, with the shorter tower reaching 43 stories.

"This is the first time in 30 years that all the stars have lined up" enough to start building Park Fifth, said Los Angeles developer David Houk, who began acquiring the land in the 1970s.

The project already has its supporters and its doubters.

Los Angeles City Councilwoman Jan Perry, who supports Park Fifth, says the building will be a boost for downtown.

"It has the great potential of becoming this iconic structure that is high-profile enough" to redefine the city's skyline, she said, and the location is appropriate for dense development.

"It's right smack dab in the midst of places where people work -- the Jewelry Mart, central business district and Bunker Hill," she said. "There's a lots of jobs within a 15-minute walk."

The project would stand at 5th and Olive streets on the site of the former Philharmonic Auditorium, which was razed in the 1980s to make way for an office and hotel complex. The demand for offices collapsed in the early 1990s and downtown has been burdened by an oversupply ever since.

But a burst of residential development in recent years has added thousands of apartments and condominiums downtown and billions of dollars worth of entertainment, shopping and hotel construction is underway or scheduled to start this year. After decades of blacklisting the area, lenders are again making loans for downtown developments.

Houk says he now has committed financial partners, most of the required development permits and has begun work on a new environmental impact report. Construction could start as soon as early 2008 and the smaller tower including the hotel could be open by 2010, he said.

The property would have six floors of underground parking to serve residents and hotel guests.

The project is drawing its doubters from people who wonder where there is a market for another huge new housing complex downtown.

Adding new downtown housing is a risk, market observers said. "There is a huge supply that far exceeds demand" at the moment, said real estate broker Stephen May of Downtown Residential Real Estate, who estimates more than 400 units are for sale.

Prices are holding level, he said, but may come down in future months as more new units hit the market and create competition.

"People wonder if this is the right time" to announce a large housing development, said economist Jack Kyser of the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. "Downtown is overbuilt and some other projects are grinding to a halt."

But the housing market could be thriving again by 2010, he said, and the Park Fifth gamble could pay off. A project of that size -- 732 condos and 218 hotel rooms -- "would pull the center of gravity downtown a little further to the east" and boost the appeal of the blocks around long-suffering Pershing Square, Kyser said.

The city's oldest park has long been a draw for the homeless and its walled setting above an underground garage sets it apart from the streets that surround it. Park Fifth's developers hope to help pay for improvements to Pershing Square, said Rich Marr of Brentwood-based Namco Capital Group Inc., one of Houk's financial partners.

"We are laying the groundwork" for possible upgrades to the square, said Perry.

The complex would also be connected directly with the underground Pershing Square subway station. As designed by New York architecture firm Kohn Pedersen Fox, it would wrap around the Title Guarantee Building, a 12-story art deco style office tower completed in 1930 and now being converted to apartments.

Park Fifth would also have a 15th floor garden with two outdoor swimming pools. At street level there would be restaurants and stores. Although the taller tower would have more floors than the 72-story U.S. Bank Tower two blocks away, it would be shorter in height because residential stories are not as high as office stories.

A spokeswoman for Maguire Properties Inc., owner of U.S. Bank Tower, said the company "welcomes the addition to the downtown skyline" and that Park Fifth would "bring critical mass and further enhance the central business district."

Park Fifth developers promise to bring what could be the third five-star hotel for downtown, which hasn't had a top-class hostelry for decades. No operator has been selected for the hotel in Park Fifth, but Mandarin Oriental has agreed to be part of the $2 billion Grand Avenue project, set to break ground this year, and Ritz Carlton will manage a hotel at the $2.5 billion L.A. Live project under construction near Staples Center.

Houk, the Park Fifth developer, is a former owner of the Pasadena Playhouse and bought the Variety Arts Center on South Figueroa Street in downtown Los Angeles last year with the intention of restoring the historic theater and reopening it as an entertainment venue.

Investor Namco Capital Group owns commercial and residential property in Southern California, including the Marriott Los Angeles Downtown hotel. Also investing in the project is Africa Israel Investments Ltd., a publicly traded development company based in Israel.

dktshb
May 8, 2007, 2:47 AM
Good news it will be nice to have some residential around Pershing Square and if they can do something with the park it would be even better.

JDRCRASH
May 8, 2007, 4:20 AM
You know, i've been thinking...as big as this downtown growth is.....i got a good feeling that this is just the beginning of possibly the largest downtown boom in Los Angeles history.

I mean at the rate people are moving into Southern California; no matter how many seismic faults there are, no matter how costly things are, the development in the basin is going explode like a shaken soda bottle during this 21st century.

Stephenapolis
May 8, 2007, 5:59 AM
I like this tower. I really hope it gets built. It will be an excellent addition to LA.

colemonkee
May 8, 2007, 7:02 AM
Larger render from the web site...

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9898/park5threndernewus8.jpg

Quixote
May 8, 2007, 7:03 AM
^Thanks Colemonkee!

Fabb
May 8, 2007, 7:14 AM
I like the way the complex integrates an older structure.
That's interesting.

edluva
May 8, 2007, 7:57 AM
Great job guys. I just hope even 25 percent of it reaches groundbreaking

fflint
May 8, 2007, 8:12 AM
Sweet design and awesome density.

NYguy
May 8, 2007, 11:34 AM
You know, i've been thinking...as big as this downtown growth is.....i got a good feeling that this is just the beginning of possibly the largest downtown boom in Los Angeles history.

That would be cool. LA needs a skyline worthy of its size.

Reminds me of the NY Times tower, but this one looks good...

NYC2ATX
May 8, 2007, 1:37 PM

The complex would also be connected directly with the underground Pershing Square subway station. As designed by New York architecture firm Kohn Pedersen Fox, it would wrap around the Title Guarantee Building, a 12-story art deco style office tower completed in 1930 and now being converted to apartments.

I think its soooo cool that they are integrating an old building like that into a new complex. That makes this project much more respectable to me. Its respecting its elders. :haha:

BANKofMANHATTAN
May 8, 2007, 1:51 PM
I do like the integration, but i don't care for the building, 820' of "meh"...

It almost doesn't look it's size.

NYguy
May 8, 2007, 1:54 PM
I think its soooo cool that they are integrating an old building like that into a new complex. That makes this project much more respectable to me. Its respecting its elders. :haha:

The complex wraps around the old building, it doesn't really do anything to it, although it fits in neatly. LA has the space for that type of development, whereas someplace like Manhattan doesn't. What else is on site besides that 12-story building?

BrandonJXN
May 8, 2007, 3:35 PM
The complex wraps around the old building, it doesn't really do anything to it, although it fits in neatly. LA has the space for that type of development, whereas someplace like Manhattan doesn't. What else is on site besides that 12-story building?

It's actually inbetween 2 buildings. The first is the Title Guarentee Building (building on the corner), and the other is Metro 417. And before anyone one complains about Park 5th blocking the view of Metro 417, Park 5th will have a huge 'window.' This is the site btw.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/450297448_5d300869ed_o.jpg
Flickr: caseybenito

djvandrake
May 8, 2007, 5:01 PM
Great! LA deserves more of this in the downtown core. It has so much potential. The buidling design is a little conservative but clean. This will be a wonderful addition to the LA skyline and I hope there's more to come.

BigDan35
May 8, 2007, 7:47 PM
Hopefully LA starts building big. As someone mentioned before, I think LA needs a skyline that matches its city's size.

Quixote
May 8, 2007, 9:37 PM
I disagree with this notion of a skyline needing to reflect a city's size. It's ridiculous if you ask me.

Quixote
May 8, 2007, 9:38 PM
I do like the integration, but i don't care for the building, 820' of "meh"...

It almost doesn't look it's size.

The architect is Kohn Pedersen Fox. I'm sure it will be much more beautiful than the renderings.

Chicago2020
May 8, 2007, 9:53 PM
Looks Great :tup:

bjornson
May 8, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yes because the downtown skyline is the sole measurement of the L.A. skyline. None of the other ones count...

pablosan
May 8, 2007, 10:50 PM
Let's hope that it gets built.

wrendog
May 9, 2007, 1:59 AM
LA needs this! git er done!

Aleks
May 9, 2007, 2:56 AM
its nice but eww i hate L.A. built it in San Fran.
i like that there are trees which would help the enviorment in the area

NYC2ATX
May 9, 2007, 3:06 AM

you make a good point, but i still appreciate that. Mixing old and new in the proper way gives a city a fantastic texture thats hard to replicate in another way.

Like most of you I don't especially love the design, but L.A. could use some more density, and average high-rises haven't stopped mega-booms in Miami and Chicago right? :tup:

fflint
May 9, 2007, 6:07 AM
If you hate LA then do us all a favor and avoid posting in threads about LA.

Quixote
May 9, 2007, 6:53 AM

That's funny. The project was specifically designed for that location right across from Pershing Square. A representative of Kohn Pedersen Fox mentioned a while back that the project is different from anything they would design in Chicago or San Francisco.

Dream'n
May 9, 2007, 1:06 PM
Great looking building. Hope it gets built. I think this building has a total retro 60's SoCal look to it and that's not a bad thing by any means. Very clean and modern.

Dale
May 9, 2007, 2:00 PM
I think it looks fantastic!

Now, won't this be on or near the highest point in the CBD ?

Buck
May 9, 2007, 2:07 PM
I love this! Way to Go LA... it's about time.

colemonkee
May 9, 2007, 4:12 PM
Now, won't this be on or near the highest point in the CBD ?
If you're thinking about base elevation, no. It's at the bottom of Bunker Hill, and the taller tower is completely removed from Bunker Hill. US Bank Tower (the tallest in LA) sits about 50-75 higher in base elevation, and the nearby Cal Plaza 2 (750 ft.) sits about 100 feet higher, so this tower will look "shorter" than it really is in a skyline view. It will probably look equally tall as Cal Plaza 2, actually.

The one thing this tower has that Cal Plaza 2 doesn't have is horizontal delineation of the floors, that will make it feel taller.

JDRCRASH
May 9, 2007, 4:16 PM
LA's reputation has been shadowed by its lack of built up development, its CLEARLY WORSENING reliance on automobiles, and its lack of Public Transportation.

We may not need a skyline as big as New York City Westsidelife, however if we want our city to expand and grow even higher and furher, high-rise development should be taken into account ;)

Dale
May 9, 2007, 4:32 PM
If you're thinking about base elevation, no. It's at the bottom of Bunker Hill, and the taller tower is completely removed from Bunker Hill. US Bank Tower (the tallest in LA) sits about 50-75 higher in base elevation, and the nearby Cal Plaza 2 (750 ft.) sits about 100 feet higher, so this tower will look "shorter" than it really is in a skyline view. It will probably look equally tall as Cal Plaza 2, actually.

The one thing this tower has that Cal Plaza 2 doesn't have is horizontal delineation of the floors, that will make it feel taller.

Gotcha. Still, not too shabby for apparent height.

Scruffy
May 9, 2007, 5:14 PM
it looks shorter than 820 feet. interesting design it seems. the trees on the balconies is a nice touch. whether or not those trees actually happen is another story

Stratosphere
May 11, 2007, 1:24 AM
When will we ever see a building with a slanted roof or pointy top in LA?

Rizzo
May 11, 2007, 1:34 AM
I love this building! Great design, great integration with the existing fabric.

BrandonJXN
May 11, 2007, 1:44 AM
When will we ever see a building with a slanted roof or pointy top in LA?

Hopefully soon.

The City House and The Olympic
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8812/2leftviewlf3.jpg

JDRCRASH
May 11, 2007, 5:31 PM
Well as long as we have that absurd rooftop helipad ordinance, were never going to get any spired or slanted buildings. Of course then again there is the Angel Center and the Ionic GAP Tower

Easy
May 12, 2007, 2:10 AM
Well as long as we have that absurd rooftop helipad ordinance, were never going to get any spired or slanted buildings. Of course then again there is the Angel Center and the Ionic GAP Tower

It was posted here over a year ago that LA buildings can now have spires if they use some advanced elevator technology. LAB broke the news, but maybe someone with more knowledge or a better memory can explain.

plinko
May 12, 2007, 2:13 AM
Hopefully soon.

The City House and The Olympic
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8812/2leftviewlf3.jpg

My lord, they've actually gotten worse!! :koko:

Stratosphere
May 12, 2007, 2:57 AM
An art deco building in the 21st century???

Quixote
May 12, 2007, 3:04 AM
^They're not Art Deco. They're Beaux-Arts.

Stratosphere
May 12, 2007, 8:37 PM
:previous:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between these two styles?

Quixote
May 12, 2007, 8:42 PM
^They're vastly different from one another. Look it up.

NYC2ATX
May 13, 2007, 1:45 AM
I hate to further a somewhat off-topic discussion, but since when are the City House and Olympic twin towers? Last I saw they were two separate buildings with different heights and different designs. anyone? anyone?

In response to you Stratosphere, I can venture a guess that the reason they would propose neo-beaux-arts buildings in 2007 is that they don't have any tall buildings of that style currently, since L.A. is such a young city. It would do them well because it would help them measure up against competing mega-skyline cities like New York and Chicago, both of which are crazy with art deco and beaux-arts buildings.

It's about the texture, people.

This is my theory.

BrandonJXN
May 13, 2007, 3:17 AM
:previous:

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between these two styles?

Beaux-Arts
http://www.nordmag.fr/nord_pas_de_calais/lille/lille_beauxarts_facade.jpg

Art Deco:
http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/photos/Hoover_side_building.jpg

Statenislander: Downtown LA has Beaux-Arts building all over. The City House and The Olympic would be a exclamation point of that style.

Ersh
May 13, 2007, 4:29 AM
The Park Fifth is a great looking building! About time downtown LA got to thinking high. :tup:

The City House and Olympic looks out of scale to me...Reminds me of one of those Beaux-Arts apartment buildings that line Central Park, but scaled waaaaay up. How tall is it?

Stratosphere - I heard that all buildings above a certain height (200'? cant remember exactly) have to have flat roofs to allow for helicopter evacuations if there's a major earthquake. Note all the helipads here. (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1240+yale+street,+santa+monica,+ca&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.092988,69.433594&ie=UTF8&ll=34.050873,-118.253564&spn=0.005911,0.00913&t=k&z=17&om=1) Interesting how City House and The Olympic got past the requirement. (Or did the city lift the restriction now?)

Rise To The Top
May 13, 2007, 6:36 AM
Man, they really should get something taller than this, I'm getting sick of the Bank Tower, looks hideous to me.

Quixote
May 13, 2007, 8:34 AM
^That's the first time I've ever heard someone use the word "hideous" to describe the US Bank Tower. ;)

Quixote
May 16, 2007, 5:57 AM
Park Fifth Architectural Landmark Elevates ''Infinity Living'' in Downtown L.A.

Opulent, $1 Billion High-Rise Condominiums to Soar as Tallest Residential Edifice in the West

May 15, 2007

http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=95733&vid=4http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=95730&vid=4

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Los Angeles will be looking up in wonder as the spectacular Park Fifth, the tallest residential building west of Chicago, rises in Downtown Los Angeles. Capital partners Africa Israel and Namco Capital Group along with Houk Development Company are creating an architectural landmark in their visionary plans for Park Fifth, the first luxury residential high-rise to be built in Downtown. The Park Fifth project will also include a five-star hotel, to be operated by one of the leading names in luxury hospitality.

In a defining moment of the renaissance that is transforming the heart of Los Angeles, the estimated $1 billion Park Fifth will elevate the Downtown horizon and bring a new, exciting style of opulent “infinity living” to the corner of Fifth and Olive Streets, across from historic Pershing Square. And it’s almost here—Park Fifth’s sales center, which includes life-sized models of its 732 residential units, will open by appointment in summer 2007, with groundbreaking slated for the first quarter of 2008, highlighting the project’s exquisite taste and luxurious atmosphere; the high-tech wealth of comfort, service and amenities; and the fantasy and flair of Park Fifth’s high-energy, super-connected, here-and-now scene.

Park Fifth living opens an infinite variety of possibilities to its residents’ imagination, from cultural activities, to entertainment and nightlife, to active exploration of L.A.’s vibrant Downtown. The sophisticated design’s expansive glass walls will command floor-to-ceiling, unimpeded panoramic views of the city, from the ocean to the mountains. The striking architecture of Park Fifth, designed by the internationally renowned firm of Kohn Pedersen Fox, integrates the refinement of a New York-style luxury residential tower with the golden, quintessentially Southern Californian climate and lifestyle.

"Loft architecture has dominated the large amount of residential development in Downtown Los Angeles in recent years. We believe the city is ready for a new phase of sophisticated urban living that integrates the upscale urban lifestyle with Southern California’s unique character and natural setting,” said Rich Marr, the project manager. "This pioneering project creates a landmark that will stand as a powerful statement of Downtown Los Angeles’ revitalization into a cultural, entertainment and social center.”

The design features a lofty 76-story tower and a 43-story tower, connected by a 15-story residential bridge. The hotel will occupy the lower floors through the bridge area, and the condominium units in the 43-story tower will be identified with the hotel brand and offer their residents access to the hotel’s amenities and services.

While the 76-story tower will attain icon status as the tallest residential building west of Chicago, two mid-rise buildings surrounding a plaza will relate in height and proportion to the early 20th-century commercial buildings of the historic Downtown core. A monumental, eight-story “urban window” through the Fifth Street façade frames a view into the plaza from Pershing Square.

The plaza embodies the vision of Park Fifth’s creators of a Downtown oasis. Without sacrificing sunlight, open air spaces and green foliage, architecture and nature blend in Park Fifth’s plaza, sky gardens, private lanais and terraces. Glass balconies and floor-to-ceiling windows allow barrier-free views of the vastness of the city and its marvelous natural setting.

Park Fifth will offer 732 living units of varying sizes, attuned to the infinitely varied styles of California living. Choices for residents range from $400,000 to $3 million, including:

• Beautifully appointed units, ideal for live/work spaces

• Pied-à-terre suites designed for commuting professionals

• Two-story, 3,000-square-foot residences, and

• All units equipped with state-of-the-art technology, including telecommunications, entertainment, and next-generation “smart house” systems.

Amenities for residents include:

• Two rooftop pools and oversized whirlpools with food and bar service

• An observation deck on the 76-story tower

• Rooftop gardens on the 15th and 36th floors of the 43-story tower with built-in fire pits

• Fitness rooms in each tower

• 20-seat theater viewing rooms, music and video libraries in each tower, and

• Classrooms for wine tastings, cooking classes and other educational seminars.

The Park Fifth Public Plaza Level features a sculpture garden, water features, a casual café, and an elegant restaurant offering indoor and outdoor dining overlooking the park at Pershing Square. The hotel at Park Fifth features a luxurious health spa offering treatments to residents and guests.

The world-class Park Fifth project team includes design by globally renowned architect Eugene Kohn of Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF), who was responsible for such imaginative venues as the Rodin Museum (Seoul), the award-winning towers and urban courtyard of De Hoftoren (the Hague and the Museum of Modern Art, New York). The Los Angeles office of the Leo A. Daly architectural firm will assist KPF to complete working drawings and provide construction supervision. Interior design is by the leading international firm Hirsch Bedner Associates.

About Park Fifth Development Partners

Park Fifth’s capital partners, Africa Israel and Namco Capital Group, along with development partner Houk Development Company, bring a wealth of experience and capability to the venture. Africa Israel is a publicly traded, Israel-based international development company with a strong U.S. presence with its U.S. headquarters in New York and multiple projects underway in Manhattan, Miami, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and now Los Angeles. Brentwood, CA-based Namco Capital Group owns and manages more than 10 million square feet of residential and commercial projects in Southern California and across the U.S. Namco also owns a community bank in Los Angeles, operates an insurance brokerage firm, serves as a large 1031 exchange accommodator and has an active mezzanine financing division. Houk Development Company has been responsible for numerous high-profile projects throughout the Los Angeles area for nearly 30 years. Based in Los Angeles, the company has been a major participant in the Downtown renaissance and currently owns, develops and manages real estate properties in Southern California.

For more information please visit www.parkfifth.com or call (213) 629-0000 for an appointment.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=NEWS_VIEW_POPUP_TYPE&newsId=20070515006140&ndmHsc=v2*A1176721200000*B1179319250000*DgroupByDate*J2*L1*N1000837*ZPark%20Fifth&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view_popup

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/MBenzLover/ParkFifth.jpg
High Resolution: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=IMAGE_VIEW&newsId=20070515006140&newsLang=en&contentItemId=1604641&moduleId=202776713&ndmConfigId=1000837

colemonkee
May 16, 2007, 4:29 PM
Great new rendering. The top looks a little awkward, but the rest of the design - especially the various park and pool decks - look great.

ferneynism2
May 16, 2007, 6:09 PM
I wonder what you get for $400,000 range and what floor?

Ersh
May 17, 2007, 3:53 AM
I'd think you'd get the janitor's closet in level B3! ;)

NYC2ATX
May 17, 2007, 1:00 PM
Statenislander: Downtown LA has Beaux-Arts building all over. The City House and The Olympic would be a exclamation point of that style.

Oh but I didn't say that. I said it doesn't have any tall buildings in the beaux-arts style. Unless, of course, you can show me one.

Quixote
May 17, 2007, 9:36 PM
^We had a height limit back then.

Patrick
May 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
Whats up wth The City House and The Olympic? The New Design sucks!

As for Park 5th, I think the tower is great. Amazing, its been on the boards since the 90's, with the sam exact design.

Quixote
May 18, 2007, 12:45 AM
^I don't think that's the final design for the City House and Olympic.

colemonkee
May 18, 2007, 12:55 AM
The more I look at the design, the less I like the top of the taller tower. The towers design is based on the stacking of stong horizontal elements, offset to different corners every four floors to create texture as the tower rises. So the primary design element is horizontal. Then they plop this square on the top - offset, of course - that looks almost vertical in the context of all those horizontal elements.

What they should have done instead is enclosed the mechanical penthouse inside a glass-enclosed, backlit crown with clear "floor" delineations (probably 4 stories high to stay consistent), topped by a simple horizontal white cap that cantilevers out towards Pershing Square. That would continue the horizontal theme of the tower all the way to the roof, and the uneven cantilever would continue the theme of alternating balconies.

From an overall design theme, I think the shorter tower is better - the top is incorporated into the overall design, as opposed to plopped on.

Whew! There, had to get that one out there.

Happy Valley Freak
May 18, 2007, 4:09 AM
My lord, they've actually gotten worse!! :koko:

whatchoo takin about??? I think it looks good

BrandonJXN
May 18, 2007, 5:04 AM
I'd think you'd get the janitor's closet in level B3! ;)

:haha:

Patrick
May 22, 2007, 12:15 AM
whatchoo takin about??? I think it looks good

Your funny.

I hope they get redesigned, oh god please.

colemonkee
May 22, 2007, 9:42 PM
Yet another 3/4 page color ad in the Business section of the L.A. Times today. These guys are serious.

SkyscraperMan
May 22, 2007, 9:43 PM
Sweet design. Hope it gets buitl. GO L.A.!! :notacrook:

Quixote
May 23, 2007, 12:22 AM
I wonder what you get for $400,000 range and what floor?

You're in luck! You would be able to get something! Though $400,000 is entry level.

From Los Angeles Downtown News:

Park Fifth to Soar as Tallest Residence in the West

Opulent, $1 Billion High-Rise Condominiums Launch 'Infinity Living' in L.A.

From Our Advertisers

http://www.downtownnews.com/content/articles/2007/05/21/development/estate05.jpg

Look up, Los Angeles! In a defining moment for the city's Downtown renaissance, the estimated $1 billion Park Fifth will soon transform the Los Angeles skyline as the tallest residential building West of Chicago.

With Park Fifth's soaring heights and measureless possibilities for exciting urban lifestyles, "infinity living" comes to L.A. Standing at the corner of Fifth and Olive streets, facing historic Pershing Square. The spectacular Park Fifth will bring an all-new, vertical California lifestyle to the vibrant Downtown mix.

Capital partners, Africa Israel and Namco Capital Group, along with development partner Houk Development Company, are creating an architectural landmark in their visionary plans for Park Fifth.

"We believe Los Angeles is ready to embrace a more sophisticated, upscale, urban way of living that adapts the New York lifestyle seamlessly to Southern California's unique character and natural setting," said Rich Marr, project manager. "Sparkling in full sunlight and rich in lush greenery, Park Fifth will be a Downtown oasis that epitomizes Downtown Los Angeles' revitalization into a cultural, entertainment and social center," he added.

The world-class team for Park Fifth includes the globally renowned design architectural firm of Kohn Pedersen Fox, the Los Angeles office of Leo A. Daly architectural firm, and the leading international interior design firm Hirsch Bedner Associates. Groundbreaking is slated for the first quarter of 2008.

Park Fifth's striking, high-tech design of concrete-and-steel construction features a lofty 76-story tower and a 43-story tower, connected by a 15-story residential bridge. A grand staircase connects the principal pedestrian entrance of the 43-story tower to Park Fifth's defining feature, the plaza above. Two 14-story mid-rise structures surrounding a plaza create street life and activity.

The architect's vision creates a progression through outdoor spaces of varying scales and levels of privacy, from the street-level park (public) to an elevated plaza (semi-public) to a 15th floor roof garden (semi-private) to the individual units and terraces (private). The Park Fifth project will also include a 218-room, five-star hotel, to be operated by one of the leading names in luxury hospitality.

Flanked by the spacious lobbies of the residential towers and hotel, the public plaza dazzles visitors with a sculpture garden, water features and a casual cafe, and cascades down to an elegant restaurant offering indoor and outdoor dining overlooking the park at Pershing Square.

In late June, Park Fifth's showroom will open by appointment, displaying life-sized models of its 732 residential units and a "virtual tour" providing a fascinating glimpse of Park Fifth's nature-embracing design, exquisite taste, wealth of comfort and services, and setting among urban attractions.

Park Fifth offers unprecedented opulence, fantasy and flair within the brilliant complex's high-energy, super-connected, here-and-now scene. The glass-clad towers will command breathtaking, unimpeded views of the city, from the mountains to the ocean through glass balconies and floor-to-ceiling windows.

Choices for residents range from $400,000 to $3 million and from live/work lofts and pied-à-terre suites to two-story, 3,000-square-foot residences. All units feature generous outdoor living spaces, attuned to the infinitely varied styles of California living, and private lanais, terraces and sky gardens. Every unit is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, from telecommunications and entertainment to next-generation, "smart house" systems.

As befits its towering stature on the L.A. horizon, Park Fifth provides an unmatched degree of luxury and convenience for its residents. Three concierges are at their service in the three residential and hotel lobbies. At the lobby level, services include valet parking, car rental and a secure pet walk for four-footed residents, as well as a host of other day-to-day needs.

For pleasure and entertaining, Park Fifth will have an observation deck, rooftop gardens with nighttime lighting and built-in fire pits, multiple party rooms, a tiered classroom for wine tastings, cooking classes and seminars, and two rooftop pools and whirlpools with food and bar service. Both towers offer 20-seat theater viewing rooms, music and video libraries for residents and fitness centers with the latest in fitness equipment. The hotel at Park Fifth features a luxurious health spa.

For more information on Park Fifth, visit parkfifth.com or call (213) 629-0000.

page 31, 5/21/2007
© Los Angeles Downtown News. Reprinting items retrieved from the archives are for personal use only. They may not be reproduced or retransmitted without permission of the Los Angeles Downtown News. If you would like to re-distribute anything from the Los Angeles Downtown News Archives, please call our permissions department at (213) 481-1448.

BrandonJXN
May 23, 2007, 12:28 AM
Yet another 3/4 page color ad in the Business section of the L.A. Times today. These guys are serious.

Can't forget about the nuclear orange giant ad on the back of the Downtown News.

Quixote
May 23, 2007, 12:33 AM
I can't seem to find the article on the LA Times website. What gives?

Quixote
May 23, 2007, 12:34 AM
Your funny.

I hope they get redesigned, oh god please.

That isn't the final design. The City House will have a classic design while the Olympic will be more contemporary.

colemonkee
May 23, 2007, 4:44 PM
Can't forget about the nuclear orange giant ad on the back of the Downtown News.
That's the same one that's on the back of the Business section of the LA Times yesterday. They're really putting this one out there. The only other project I've seen advertise in any decent capacity outside the Downtown News is Evo. And Evo is halfway up. :yes:

LAMetroGuy
Jun 7, 2007, 8:46 PM
Can the title be changed to show the correct height of 850 feet?

aluminum
Jun 7, 2007, 11:55 PM
It will be great addition to LA skyline... GO Los Angeles :notacrook: :cheers: :cheers:
hope it gets built:notacrook: :notacrook:

FrancoRey
Jun 26, 2007, 7:00 AM
Is there by chance a PLAUSIBLE Start date to this project? :shrug:

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jun 26, 2007, 7:37 AM
October to January, sometime in that range.

BrandonJXN
Jun 27, 2007, 8:30 PM
Park 5th (along with LA Live and Grand Ave) were all on the news last night. The report was basically about the resurgence in downtown LA and the key components being LA Live, Grand Ave, and Park 5th. Park 5th looks to be on the way and soon with as much media attention it's getting.

Oh..and it's already won an award:

Park Fifth Receives Prestigious Los Angeles Business Council Architectural Award

Opulent, $1 Billion Condominium Project Honored as Multi-Family High-Rise in the "Unbuilt Building" Category

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The precedent-setting luxury high-rise Park Fifth condominium and hotel towers, designed by renowned architects Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (KPF) and developed by Africa Israel, Namco Capital Group and Houk Development Company, has been honored with a Los Angeles Architecture Award by the Los Angeles Business Council (LABC). Named one of Los Angeles County's most laudable new projects in the LABC's 37th Annual Awards Program, Park Fifth will rise at the corner of Fifth and Olive Streets, across from historic Pershing Square. Park Fifth received the award in the "Unbuilt Building - Multi-Family High Rise" category at a ceremony on June 14 that brought together world renowned architects, contractors and developers.

The LABC Awards Program recognizes entire project teams (architects, contractors and developers) whose developments improve the quality of architecture and enhance the urban fabric of Los Angeles. Awardees were selected by a nine-member jury of distinguished peers. The awards were presented to 25 teams in 12 categories: Housing, Interiors, Mixed-Use, New Buildings, Preservation, Public Use, Landscape Architecture, Renovation, Sustainability, Unbuilt, Honorable Mention and Grand Prize.

The striking architecture of Park Fifth, as envisioned by KPF, also received a 2007 Project Merit Award from the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. The design features lofty 76-story and 43-story towers, connected by a 15-story residential bridge. A grand staircase connects the principal pedestrian entrance in the 43-story tower to Park Fifth's defining feature, the plaza above. Two 14-story mid-rise structures surrounding a plaza create street life and activity.

The design of Park Fifth integrates the refinement of a New York-style luxury residential tower with the golden, quintessentially Southern Californian climate and lifestyle. The estimated $1 billion landmark project is conceived of as a collection of 732 residences of varying sizes, each with its own "backyard" living space introducing the California outdoor lifestyle to downtown Los Angeles for the first time. Park Fifth's exciting, new concept of "Infinity Living" is also expressed through the use of expansive glass walls that command floor-to-ceiling, unimpeded panoramic views of the city, from the ocean to the mountains.

The entire Park Fifth project is conceived as a progression through outdoor spaces of varying scales and levels of privacy: from the street-level park (public) to the elevated plaza (semi-public) to the 15th floor roof garden (semi-private) to the individual units and terraces (private). A cantilevered restaurant terrace mediates between the public street level and the semi-public plaza.

The hotel will occupy the lower floors through the bridge area, and the condominium units in the 43-story tower will be identified with the hotel brand and offer their residents access to the hotel's amenities and services.

While the 76-story tower will attain icon status as the tallest residential building west of Chicago, the mid-rise buildings will establish the foreground of the composition by relating in height and proportion to the early 20th century commercial buildings of the historic downtown core. A 150' high street wall continues the cornice line established by the adjacent Title-Guaranty and Subway Terminal Buildings. A monumental nine-story "urban window" through the Fifth Street facade frames a view into the plaza from Pershing Square.

About Kohn Pedersen Fox

Recognized as one of the most respected architectural design practices in the world, Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF) is a prestigious international architectural firm with studios in New York and London and a growing presence in Shanghai. The firm's extensive portfolio, developed over 30 years, includes designs ranging from a small jewel-like glass pavilion for Rodin sculptures to an entire new city in Incheon, Korea. KPF, led by 17 partners and directors, provides full architectural design, programming, urban design and master planning services for clients in both the public and private sectors. With an international perspective on local projects, KPF's extensive experience ensures design excellence that creates uplifting spaces for people and responds to community, context and environment. KPF has won more than 200 awards. Its work has been widely exhibited and is the subject of 13 monographs.

About Park Fifth

The tallest luxury condominium high-rise ever to be developed for Downtown Los Angeles, the estimated $1 billion Park Fifth development will rise across from historic Pershing Square at 427 West Fifth Street in the symbolic center of Downtown Los Angeles. Park Fifth will include 732 living units of varying sizes, attuned to the infinitely varied styles of California living and a five-star hotel, to be operated by one of the leading names in luxury hospitality. Groundbreaking is planned for early 2008 with occupancy slated for 2010. Capital partners for the project include Africa Israel, a publicly traded international development company based in Israel with its U.S. headquarters in New York, and Brentwood-based Namco Capital Group along with development partner Los Angeles-based Houk Development Company. For more information, visit www.parkfifth.com

About the Los Angeles Business Council

The Los Angeles Business Council (LABC) is a nonprofit association of more than 300 businesses, agencies and individuals working to address critical issues and concerns that impact the business climate and economic health of Los Angeles. As a 70-year-old advocacy and educational institution representing the business and professional community, the LABC serves as an influential link between the public and private sectors in Los Angeles, connecting the power of business with the power of government to improve the state of the region. More information on the Los Angeles Business Council and the Los Angeles Architectural Awards is available at: http://www.labusinesscouncil.org.

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070618/20070618005357.html?.v=1

BrandonJXN
Jun 27, 2007, 8:33 PM
Double post

PhxSprawler
Jul 3, 2007, 10:15 PM
I hope this actually goes through at its proposed height. 732 units ~ 1500 people relying much less on their automobiles than most in the region. SoCal is hitting geographic walls and must grow upward to continue growing. I can't wait to see the day when LA has more density than SF, NY, and Chicago. At least the weather is right for it.

Density = Growth = Public Transit = Higher tourism $$ = living alternatives = improved arts = diversity = greener earth = etc. etc. etc.

JDRCRASH
Jul 4, 2007, 5:22 AM
You won't have to wait much longer....its only a matter of decades until L.A. topples New York City in size. And believe me, its gonna happen.

cityguy
Jul 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
Maybe in size but not in importance.

nygirl1
Jul 4, 2007, 12:44 PM
You won't have to wait much longer....its only a matter of decades until L.A. topples New York City in size. And believe me, its gonna happen.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:haha:

aluminum
Jul 4, 2007, 4:52 PM
Nah, it ain't gonna happen in a few decades, maybe few centuries.....

And L.A.'s rainless climate and possible water shortage for huge population is one of its huge obstructions in the growth of population ...

BrandonJXN
Jul 4, 2007, 4:56 PM
^ Rainless climate? Sure it hasn't rained here in over a year but rainless?

aluminum
Jul 4, 2007, 5:01 PM
^^^ I meant insufficient rain.

nygirl1
Jul 5, 2007, 1:14 AM
Damn it hasn't rained in over a year.. i know yer kidding dude.

colemonkee
Jul 5, 2007, 4:40 PM
"Hasn't rained in over a year" is a bit of a stretch, but we are in a significant drought. In fact, we had the driest rain season ever on record this year. We only got 3.21 inches of rain in this year's season. 15 inches is the average. Here's the National Weather Service's (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/getprod.php?pil=pns&sid=lox&format=pre) take.

Regarding the comments about LA's skyline eclipsing New York's, it's completely irrelevant to this thread, and frankly it's those kind of inane comments that start petty pissing matches between different cities. Let's nip this in the bud right now.

Park Fifth has nothing to do with New York's skyline. It's a great project for downtown LA because it will not only contribute significantly to the urban experience downtown, but it will make a visual impact in the skyline when viewed from the east or the south.

phillyskyline
Jul 5, 2007, 4:58 PM
Simple yet elegant design!

Easy
Jul 5, 2007, 5:21 PM
It was reported by the developer in the annual downtown developers meeting that the larger balconies will be over 1,000 sq. ft.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/MBenzLover/ParkFifth.jpg

northbay
Jul 5, 2007, 5:28 PM
^ absolutely beautiful!

colemonkee
Jul 5, 2007, 6:03 PM
1,000 sq ft. for a balcony? That'll make for one helluva party 76 stories up. I still don't like the top of the taller tower. It looks like an awkward afterthought to me.

aluminum
Jul 5, 2007, 6:07 PM
Regarding the comments about LA's skyline eclipsing New York's

:jester: :jester: It can't even eclipse Houston's or Miami's

1,000 sq ft. for a balcony? That'll make for one helluva party 76 stories up. I still don't like the top of the taller tower. It looks like an awkward afterthought to me.

And thats will be absolutely fantastic, party 76 story's up in the air on 1000sq ft balcony.

BrandonJXN
Jul 5, 2007, 6:18 PM

What does this have to do with Park Fifth? Keep stuff like this out of this thread.

Dale
Jul 5, 2007, 6:28 PM
Actually, I like LA's skyline more than those two cities.

Easy
Jul 5, 2007, 7:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I have a hard time even picturing it from the renders.

Patrick
Jul 6, 2007, 3:16 AM
Nah, it ain't gonna happen in a few decades, maybe few centuries.....

And L.A.'s rainless climate and possible water shortage for huge population is one of its huge obstructions in the growth of population ...

It rains in LA, the water supply is fine, and the population is soaring, unlike most cities in the US, LA's population has been going up for at least a 100 years. It's possible, LA already has dozens of skylines, put them together and wooh!

Exuse me, all Houston's Skyline, combined is much smaller than LA's, and please, we can all agree Miami's got one hell of an ugly skyline. Quality, not quanity.

Quixote
Jul 6, 2007, 4:33 AM

Why is it that all of your comments are always this ridiculous? You need a reality check. Los Angeles building as much as Dubai? Los Angeles skyline surpassing the NYC skyline in size? When will you stop?

aluminum
Jul 6, 2007, 4:44 AM
You all guys cheering for LA are ridiculous !
What next ? San Diego eclipsing Chicago ?:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Going on topic, I liked the previous renders of park 5th, they suited LA more.

Quixote
Jul 6, 2007, 4:52 AM
You all guys cheering for LA are ridiculous !
What next ? San Diego eclipsing Chicago ?:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Going on topic, I liked the previous renders of park 5th, they suited LA more.

JDR was the only one who said that Los Angeles' skyline would one day eclipse the New York City skyline.

Oh, and about the Houston and Miami skylines. Sorry, but they're not much better than the Los Angeles skyline, if at all. And it wouldn't be that hard for the Los Angeles skyline to eclipse either of them, to be honest with you.

Lastly, the renderings for Park Fifth haven't changed at all.

aluminum
Jul 6, 2007, 4:55 AM
Lastly, the renderings for Park Fifth haven't changed at all.

Then I must've got some misunderstanding looking at those yellow art-deco renders.
My apology.

aluminum
Jul 6, 2007, 5:32 AM
;2936824 Sorry, but they're not much better than the Los Angeles skyline, if at all. And it wouldn't be that hard for the Los Angeles skyline to eclipse either of them, to be honest with you.
How the hell can LA eclipse Houston while it has only 1 scraper over 900' and Houston has 3 >900 footers. Maybe you need to learn the definition of 'eclipsing' first.

Now please stop this LA vs whatever.........

And maybe there's better rendering for this building along the way, this design may look good in Miami but not LA.

Quixote
Jul 6, 2007, 5:52 AM
How the hell can LA eclipse Houston while it has only 1 scraper over 900' and Houston has 3 >900 footers. Maybe you need to learn the definition of 'eclipsing' first.

And maybe there's better rendering for this building along the way, this design may look good in Miami but not LA.

You're a troll.

:haha: Houston and Miami only have a few more skyscrapers than Los Angeles. Height is nowhere near as important as density is. I'd rather have two 450 footers as opposed to one 900 footer to be honest with you. Additionally, diversity in architecture and overall prescence are two other factors that determine the overall quality of a skyline. Taller doesn't equal better and it doesn't mean that you can't "eclipse" a skyline just because you don't have the height to match. "Eclipse" can mean a variety of things, height being a factor but not the sole factor. Oh snap. So now I need a dictionary to help me determine my personal opinions toward skylines?

Stop this "LA vs. whatever?" You're the one who is coming in here and trolling. :rolleyes: And you're the one who accelerated the flames by adding your little comment about Houston and Miami.

Well it ain't proposed for Miami. I happen to like this design. A tower designed by a world class architecture firm for a world class city. How appropriate.

BrandonJXN
Jul 6, 2007, 5:55 AM

From page 3...

It will be great addition to LA skyline... GO Los Angeles :notacrook: :cheers: :cheers:
hope it gets built:notacrook: :notacrook:

You can leave this thread now John Kerry.

aluminum
Jul 6, 2007, 6:03 AM
I'd rather have two 450 footers as opposed to one 900 footer to be honest with you.

two 450' > one 900 huh ?
This means that São Paulo has better skyline than Chicago ????
I mean, C'mon
You don't even know what you're saying ! Lose it fella !!

And regarding the design of this building, ain't very bad and maybe they can improve the top. Completely flat top without setbacks will look great.

aluminum
Jul 6, 2007, 6:08 AM
From page 3...
You can leave this thread now John Kerry.

Thats right, I liked this before, but then I got mixed feelings about this one after I observed other skyscrapers of LA , certainly not a bad design but doesn't look like any other building in LA. It doesn't seems to be getting 'dissolved' in the skyline. On its own I have to say its quite cool.