PDA

View Full Version : A tale of three cities (Van Sea Port)

SpongeG
May 6, 2007, 7:27 PM
A tale of three citiesOur green lustre fades as Gateway project paves way for an auto-dependent future, experts warn

Vancouver has always been regarded as the winner in the unofficial Greenest City of the Pacific Northwest Pageant.

Although Portland always makes it into any top-10 list of green American cities, and Seattle is being named more frequently these days as a contender south of the border, their Canadian sibling has always been looked at longingly by both of them.

Most sets of statistics comparing the three confirm that case of environmental envy. The Vancouver region uses less land and less energy per resident. People here own fewer cars and take transit or ride their bikes more often. We have an impressive urban forest, a greenway system and an Agricultural Land Reserve

Portland could take some comfort in its pioneering efforts in bringing light-rail transit to the city and setting limits on growth, along with its kilometres of cycling trails -- double what Vancouver has.

But for years Seattle has been seen, even by its loyalists, as a morass of bad planning and traffic congestion that make it the winner in the competition for most sprawl and highest percentage of residents spewing fossil fuels into the air.

But all that could change dramatically for the worse, in terms of B.C.

The provincial government's plan to build massive amounts of new road space in the Gateway project will significantly alter the region's transportation and land-use patterns.

The provincial government has mainly promoted the Gateway Program as a necessary investment to reduce congestion for commuters and trucks, and it also has argued that road expansion means that emissions will be lowered because vehicles will be idling less as they wait.

The Conference Board of Canada also issued a report last year presenting evidence that building new roads does not "induce" people to drive if the road-building is matched to the population increase. It only affects driving behaviour if the increase in capacity exceeds the increase in driving-age population.

Critics vigorously disagree.

The Gateway project is a "gigantic leap in the absolute wrong direction," says University of B.C. Professor Larry Frank, who is internationally famous for his studies of the connection between obesity and the suburbs. "It will entrench us in an auto-dependent future right in the middle of a climate-change debacle."

A study Frank recently did for the Washington Department of Transport showed that for each 10-per-cent reduction in driving times that motorists experience, typically because more roads have been built, the amount they walk or use transit goes down. That automatically means greenhouse-gas emissions go up.

Preston Schiller, a professor at the University of Western Washington who has studied the transportation systems of the three cities, called the Gateway plan "a big mistake."

"To me, that sort of expansion you just don't do in this day and age."

And former Vancouver councillor Gordon Price, also a close watcher of the Vancouver-Seattle-Portland scene, calls it "a tragic turn in the direction of this region."

"If [the provincial government] does what it says it's going to do, we are going the way of Seattle."

Besides the province's impact on the region's green future, local governments that had been leading the way, Vancouver and the Greater Vancouver regional district, have lost some steam and are starting to be overshadowed by energetic new efforts of many American cities making up for lost time.

Portland is also seen by some as resting on decades-old laurels, and critics of its claim to have succeeded at managing growth point out that it seems to have simply outsourced its sprawl to its neighbour across the Columbia River, the other Vancouver in Washington.

On the other hand, Seattle, which until now has been the perpetual loser in the three-way competition, has recently attracted national attention for its recent commitment to wind power and Mayor Greg Nickel's leadership in the campaign to recruit American cities for a pledge to meet Kyoto goals. It has also aggressively championed the use of alternative types of transportation, like Segways, by its employees.

"There are cities now that are acting with more speed and determination than Portland and Vancouver," says Rob Bennett, a sustainability consultant who has worked in both Portland and, until January this year, in Vancouver. He is now working with the Clinton Foundation Climate Initiative.

He says Vancouver has been a model everyone has looked to for years and has the most experienced and talented team of sustainability experts of any city he's ever seen.

But the city has lost the momentum it had in earlier years.

Local sustainability consultant Mark Holland agrees.

"If Vancouver wants to retain its leadership, it will have to be bold."

Like how? It could decide to become a carbon-neutral city government by 2050. That's something other major global cities have been contemplating but haven't committed to yet.

Holland also notes that the regional district, which had been aggressively promoting sustainability for several years, has gone quiet in the last two.

All of the above is worrying to environmental watchers, because significant decisions on transportation and leadership on green issues can set cities and regions down one path or another for decades to come.

That's been proven by what happened in the past with Vancouver, Seattle and Portland.

Everyone who has monitored the three cities says the same: The decisions those cities made -- or didn't make -- in the 1960s and 1970s determined where they ended up in the 1990s and 2000s.

Of course, local socio-economic conditions played their part.

Like most Canadian cities, Vancouver never allowed its central city to deteriorate, and maintained the tradition of good urban planning. The Canadian government didn't subsidize freeway building in the 1950s the way the American government did. And Canadian bureaucrats and politicians, who get more respect than their American counterparts no matter what we might think, have more leeway to do things unilaterally for the public good, like create agricultural land reserves, build regional train lines, and set planning policies for the region aimed at managing growth.

Both Portland and Vancouver were smaller, off-the-radar cities in the late '60s and early '70s when young progressive types started getting interested in urban issues. Seattle was double their size and had had a booming manufacturing and port sector for some time. Given the highway-building proclivities of the day, that made it a prime candidate for a massive road expansion.

"Our freeway system was largely complete by the '60s," says Patrick Mazza, from the Washington office of Climate Solutions.

Still, each city made decisions in that crucial late '60s-early '70s era that set them on the road to their green or not-so-green futures.

VANCOUVER REJECTED FREEWAYS

"The turn for both Vancouver and Portland was saying 'No' to freeways and yes to transit. The rest is details," says Price. Portland took the federal money it was entitled to get for building freeways and used it to start its light-rail network. Vancouver said no to a planned freeway, but the region had to wait until 1986 for the province to put money into the first line of the SkyTrain network.

Vancouver city went one beyond Portland in the 1970s, when the TEAM council of the day pushed the concept of a downtown that welcomed, even encouraged, residential living. The 50,000 new residents on the peninsula who have moved in during the last 10 years, the towers, the parks, the seawall, and the community centres -- all are the result of that push under then-mayor Art Phillips 35 years ago.

That has turned Vancouver into the poster child for urban environmentalists around the world, who praise the city for the way it has made density attractive, thereby fostering a way of life that promotes walking and cycling and reduces the amount of land needed to absorb thousands of new residents every year.

Seattle went the other way, rejecting proposals for regional mass transit twice in the 1960s and 1970s.

Ever since, Seattle has become legendary for devising one transit plan after another, only to have each one shot down by one coalition after another of opponents. Ironically, that happens in spite of the fact that the Seattle public shows signs of wanting to do the right thing environmentally. Bruce Agnew, of the Cascadia Project, notes that sales of hybrid cars are higher per capita in Seattle than anywhere else.

But those individual efforts have been overwhelmed by the paralysis over creating a regional transit network. The result is that it now has traffic congestion of awe-inspiring proportions, massive sprawl, and every bad environmental consequence that goes with those two.

In spite of that, Seattle got named as one of the top 10 green cities by National Geographic's recent Green Guide listings in 2005 and by a San Francisco group, SustainLane, in 2007. As well, Mayor Nickels was featured this month in Newsweek as the leader of mayors taking the lead on environmental action.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=d0720ce9-ea0d-48e5-927e-5a810e961ff2

deasine
May 7, 2007, 1:49 AM
Yeah this was in the sun today... but I don't think they should compare it with Seattle or Portland, maybe San Francisco instead, the American equivalent of Vancouver?

Coldrsx
May 7, 2007, 2:13 AM
^id say portland is a 1/10th van and prob closest actually.

SEA-TOWN
May 7, 2007, 3:57 AM
Yeah this was in the sun today... but I don't think they should compare it with Seattle or Portland, maybe San Francisco instead, the American equivalent of Vancouver?

This article was about the Pacific Northwest, not North America... here we go...

deasine
May 7, 2007, 6:44 AM
^Yes I know, I have the newspaper article... but I think comparing to San Francisco is a better comparison...

Glacierfed
May 7, 2007, 6:57 AM
Vancouver only looks good when its compared to American cities when it comes to urban planning and transit use, when you look at Europe, Vancouver is more like america-lite than anything that should be held up as a model for sustainability.

giallo
May 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
Since living abroad I find it funny that Vancouver gets heaped with praise on a regular basis. I guess it performs well as an 'eco-city' from the NA viewpoint, but it is still an area that sprawls far in to the east. ALR land still sits on the chopping block. The fact that the Gateway plan is at our doorstep shows how ignorant our leaders and much of the public is towards developing a city that goes further than our own nose. The money used to double bridges and widen roads in to an area the city has no business stretching to could easily be used to connect more of our rapid transit hubs. The Evergreen line is a good start (as long as it isn't LRT). A line south of the Fraser River running west to east from Richmond to Surrey should be on the books with a North to South line starting from Brentwood, connecting to Metrotown and ending in east Richmond.
Why not spend your money on a system that actually works to reduce emissions and travel times longterm? Leave the roads for commercial vehicles and build a transit situation that is desirable to people. If you can get to work faster and cheaper by subway or skytrain than a car, it's no mystery what the general public will choose. I know what I'd take.

deagleman
May 7, 2007, 6:32 PM
^ Just because you would take transit doesn't mean others will. You assume too much if you think people drive just because they do not have other options. Also, remember that the primary reason for mass transit is getting people to work/school faster and reducing road congestion. Adding extra lines along routes were roads that are not heavily congested will not motivate people out of their cars and also wont be economical (Now we'll pay for two arteries rather than one). Plus a south Fraser line would probably just increase sprawl around that area which is not good either.

fever
May 8, 2007, 4:50 AM
^ Just because you would take transit doesn't mean others will. You assume too much if you think people drive just because they do not have other options. Also, remember that the primary reason for mass transit is getting people to work/school faster and reducing road congestion. Adding extra lines along routes were roads that are not heavily congested will not motivate people out of their cars and also wont be economical (Now we'll pay for two arteries rather than one). Plus a south Fraser line would probably just increase sprawl around that area which is not good either.

I don't really feel like it today. rail lines encouraging decentralized develop patterns. rapid transit is to reduce congestion. assuming things is bad.

cornholio
May 8, 2007, 8:10 AM
^^^Again the main objective of the Gateway projects is not to help comuters but to help industry that relies on those roads and highways. Though sure their going about it in the wrong way in my opinion and should try harder to build more commercial lanes that will solve the main problem long term. We all agree that building more highways for commuters is bad and solves nothing, expanding highways to reduce congestion for comuters is only a short term solution...but they still are needed for just about every business and industry within our region. IMO there should be a effort to seperate commercial traffic from comuter traffic where possibel. By the way rapid transit encourages sprawl the same as highways if you were to build a skytrain line to the fraser valley in to the alr lands and alow development you would end up with tons and tons of new single family homes. If you were to doubel lougheed highway and lower congestion by 50% then you would end up with very similiar desification around Brentwood mall etc., now obviously thats not economical and thats where rapid transit comes in to play.

By the way I dont use transit as I work in a industrial area, there will never ever be efficient transit serving my work place so I have to drive...I realy have no choice, what do you sugest I do? This is bit more complicated than just saying highways are bad.

More on topic im not so sure that its fare to crticize NA cities and prais Europena cities as the two groups have a very different past. Most of the growth in European cities has ocured pre WW2, while in NA it hapend post WW2...we all know that most pre WW2 districts of NA cities are similiar in density to Eurpean cities, its the change after WW2 to that realy started sprawl and since European cities have had limited growth they have had also limited sprawl.

fever
May 9, 2007, 2:56 AM
It's not really about what one person decides to do... where one person works and how they commute. That's something people can figure out themselves.

The overall layout of the city several decades from now will depend to a large extent on how we prioritize transportation projects now. Building an additional lane along Highway 1 isn`t likely to change anything in itself. It`s a small change in capacity, and it will produce little to no change in congestion, depending on how far out you look. There are many other projects that could be prioritized higher that would produce positive results. A well-aligned south fraser rail line could make a big difference, for example. Commercial-only lanes rather than commuter lanes are at least better than the current proposal. Congestion charging is an alternative.

If you don't want to be the post-WWII American city, don't spend all your money trying to emulate it.

giallo
May 9, 2007, 3:14 AM
''If you don't want to be the post-WWII American city, don't spend all your money trying to emulate it.''

That's exactly what I was thinking. Vancouverites are consistently proud of not building a freeway through the city. It's one thing that we always turn to when people try to understand how the city developed the way it did. Why then, in this day and age, would we go do the complete opposite?
Give people a decent transit option with reasonable travel times and prioritize those commercial lanes. The rest will fall in to place

May 15, 2007, 3:30 PM
Posted by Clark Williams-Derry on 05/15/2007 at 12:00 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f1/Skytrainundergroud.jpg/250px-Skytrainundergroud.jpg

As I mentioned last week, greater Vancouver leads the Northwest in transit ridership, with somewhere between two and three times as many annual bus and train rides per person as Portland and Seattle.

So the obvious question: how come? Why does Vancouver do so much better in transit statistics than it's southern neighbors?

If you're from Seattle, the "obvious" answer might seem to be Vancouver's SkyTrain light rail system, which carries about 66 million passengers each year. Seattle is working hard to expand its measly train system -- which currently consists of a lightly used commuter rail service and a 1.6 mile light rail line in Tacoma. But SkyTrain already carries about two-thirds as many passengers as all of King County's buses.

But SkyTrain can't be the only explanation for Vancouver's advantage over its southern neighbors. After all, Portland has MAX light rail, and a streetcar to boot -- and Vancouver beats the pants off of Portland, too.

If anything, the MAX system is more robust than SkyTrain: it has more track (71.5 km total, compared with SkyTrain's 49.5 km), and nearly twice as many stations (64 stations for MAX, vs. 33 for SkyTrain). Still, SkyTrain claimed about 66.3 million boardings in 2005, while MAX had fewer than 33 million in 2006 -- which means that a typical SkyTrain station handles about four times as many passengers per day, on average, as a typical MAX station.

When you look at bus statistics, Vancouver's advantage is even more striking. SkyTrain has about twice as many riders as MAX -- but Greater Vancouver's bus system carries about three times as many passengers as greater Portland's buses. And even though greater Vancouver's population is about one-third lower than greater Seattle's, Vancouver-area buses provide one-third more rides than all of Puget Sound's buses.

(As a sidenote: it turns out that buses are the workhorses of all three cities' transit systems. Buses carry virtually all of Seattle's transit passengers, three-quarters of Vancouver's, and two-thirds of Portland's.)

What all this statistical mumbo-jumbo means to me is this: when it comes to encouraging transit, mode choice -- ie., train vs. bus vs. streetcar -- isn't the most important factor in determining how many people use a transit system. Not at all.

Far more important is the layout of communities served by transit. In particular, compact neighborhoods can concentrate people and jobs near major transit routes, which helps make transit more convenient and cost-effective. As far as I can tell, Vancouver's transit advantage stems not from any particular feature of its transit system -- the type of trains it uses, or the frequency of bus service, etc. -- but mostly from its comparatively compact urban form.

To be clear: I am not saying this poo-poo transit expansion plans in Seattle or Portland. And I'm not trying to enter into any sort of bus-vs.-train debate. (Personally, the antipathy between the pro-bus and pro-train camps turns me off, since it seems to dissipate the energies of both sides.) What I am saying is that neither buses nor trains will get as many riders as we might like unless we get our neighborhoods right first. That's where Vancouver's real transit advantage lies.

Sightline Institute (http://www.sightline.org/daily_score/archive/2007/05/15/is-the-skytrain-the-limit)

giallo
May 16, 2007, 12:54 AM
''Far more important is the layout of communities served by transit. In particular, compact neighborhoods can concentrate people and jobs near major transit routes, which helps make transit more convenient and cost-effective. As far as I can tell, Vancouver's transit advantage stems not from any particular feature of its transit system -- the type of trains it uses, or the frequency of bus service, etc. -- but mostly from its comparatively compact urban form.''

This is such of known known now I can't believe this Clark guy is even bringing it up. Of course you increase density around rapid transit stations or major bus loops. Burnaby has done it with great success. If everything works out for Richmond it may be the Lower Mainland's leader as far as station accessibility. And then there's Vancouver proper. The most disappointing city in the GVRD in regard to station density.
Why Vancouver hasn't rezoned areas like 29th St station is beyond me. It makes me a bit wary of what kind of neighborhoods will develop... or not develop around the Canada line.

Glacierfed
May 16, 2007, 4:14 AM
This is such of known known now I can't believe this Clark guy is even bringing it up. Of course you increase density around rapid transit stations or major bus loops. Burnaby has done it with great success. If everything works out for Richmond it may be the Lower Mainland's leader as far as station accessibility. And then there's Vancouver proper. The most disappointing city in the GVRD in regard to station density.
Why Vancouver hasn't rezoned areas like 29th St station is beyond me. It makes me a bit wary of what kind of neighborhoods will develop... or not develop around the Canada line.

Absolutely. There's been a lot of discussion about up-zoning and eco density but allowing for a couple more 20 story towers at The Mall won't cut it. It shouldn't be just what the city can get away with without offending anyone I want to see towers in all four directions from 41st and Cambie, a major upzoning around King Ed (at least 300m in all directions from the station). I think it should be a general rule: you get a station, you get density. No one is forced to sell their homes, but if they do, the added value of the re-zoning will allow them to afford a compound out in Dunbar or Langley or somewhere quiet without tall buildings, if thats what they really want. This is a city where nimby's have fought tooth and nail against townhouses on major streets. The same people who probably shop at capers, eat organic and "care" about the environment, fucking hypocrites, I have no time for these people but they dominate the west side agenda.

SpongeG
May 17, 2007, 3:37 AM
there are plans to densify the old bus yard just to the west of oakridge centre

i don't think there will be towers until the market demands it

cornholio
May 17, 2007, 5:31 AM
Its unfair to critisize Vancouver since all other stations in Burnaby or New Westminster that have been built next to estabelished single family neighbourhoods have also had no development or upzoning. Only stations built next to industrial or undeveloped land have had significant growth around them which unfourtunetly has not been the case for 29th avenue station, Nanaimo station, Broadway to a point, or 22nd station in New West, Production Way, Lake city or Sperling(until the Dairyland site gets redeveloped).

Though all these cities should go and rezone the areas around these stations since it would be in the best interest of our region just like removing houses in the way of a transit line or highway are. To bad no one has the balls to do this. But there is hope in the new translink if they will have the power to rezone around stations without the heavily NIMBY influenced city abel to interfere.