PDA

View Full Version : OT: The best breakfast spots in Edmonton

guymez
May 6, 2007, 7:11 AM
I am constantly driving up from Calgary to Edmonton and quite often end up eating a sub-standard breakfast in any diner I have tried so far. Calgary has some great spots for breakfast...Diner Deluxe, Nellies (17th ave, 4th ave, Rooftop on 9th ave, Marda Loop) and the Galaxy Diner. I am purposely leaving out generic places like Humpty's, Denny's and Smitty's because IMO the food is brutal at best. Surely Edmonton has some solid breakfast spots that I simply haven't discovered yet....anyone know where these places are?
Do they exist?

S_B_Russell
May 6, 2007, 7:41 AM
High Level Diner (109 st), Blue Plate Diner (104 st), Cafe Deville (124 st) or Urban Diner (124 st) all have good breakfasts.

Jasper and one o nin
May 6, 2007, 1:24 PM
fargos at capilano..

Coldrsx
May 6, 2007, 4:19 PM
109st bistro, silk hat, commodore, l'azia, route 99.

Hardhatdan
May 6, 2007, 4:45 PM
There is an italian place on 109st right on the south riverbank that has good breakfasts...I just can't think of the name right now.

Kevin_foster
May 6, 2007, 4:55 PM
- Believe it or not, Brewsters puts on a decently awesome 11AM start breakky.

- Glenora Grill (formerly known as Ninas) right beside Cafe DeVille is equally as fantastic as well, great eggs/benny.

- Madison Grill has THE best salmon eggs benny I've ever had

guymez
May 6, 2007, 5:04 PM
No shortage of suggestions...good to see. :tup:

Back in the 1980's Barb and Ernies used to serve up some pretty good breakfasts(good portion sizes as well). Has anyone been there lately?

I should mention that Route 99 Diner is one place to avoid. Probably one of the worst breakfasts ( a simple Omelette and hashbrowns) that I have had in years.
Do yourselves a favour and stay away....absolutely brutal.

Hardhatdan
May 6, 2007, 5:33 PM
Barb and Ernie's is the same way its always been. Just bigger than back in the 80s.

guymez
May 6, 2007, 5:54 PM
Thanks for that hardhatdan. :tup:

I just stumbled onto a blog (Lex Culinaria) that has some interesting takes on Edmontons breakfast scene. There is an excel doc at the top of the page under the "Breakfast in Edmonton" heading which gives an interesting breakdown/rating of some breakfast diners in the city. It gains a little credibility with me simply because of the comments about the Route 99 Diner....shithouse :haha: .

http://gorgeoustown.typepad.com/lex_culinaria/2006/02/tasting_notes_f.html

Coldrsx
May 6, 2007, 5:58 PM
route 99 is awesome

guymez
May 6, 2007, 6:00 PM
route 99 is awesome

:haha:

Hardhatdan
May 6, 2007, 6:16 PM
:haha:
No, seriously. It is very good...I don't know why you had such a bad experience, but no one I have ever talked to has said that.
Weird.:shrug:

guymez
May 6, 2007, 6:25 PM
No, seriously. It is very good...I don't know why you had such a bad experience, but no one I have ever talked to has said that.
Weird.:shrug:

Maybe my standards are a little too high....or other peoples are a little too low.
:shrug:
Some people think that Humpty's serves up a really good breakfast...go figure.

Hardhatdan
May 6, 2007, 6:31 PM
Maybe my standards are a little too high....or other peoples are a little too low.
:shrug:
Some people think that Humpty's serves up a really good breakfast...go figure.
I really don't think that is the reason at all. I'd chalk it up to just getting unlucky that day.
Oh well. :banana:

guymez
May 6, 2007, 6:43 PM
I really don't think that is the reason at all. I'd chalk it up to just getting unlucky that day.
Oh well. :banana:

Yeah...maybe they have 2 cooks and I was unlucky enough to get the evil one.
Who knows...I won't be back though.

CanadianCentaur
May 7, 2007, 1:38 AM
- Believe it or not, Brewsters puts on a decently awesome 11AM start breakky.

I had an eggs benny at the Brewsters on 116 St/104 Ave today this afternoon - the breakfasts are served until 2 pm. It was awesome, not to mention also being able to have a blueberry wheat ale afterwards. :D

Kevin_foster
May 7, 2007, 3:19 AM
^ Yeah I love it. :D Except when it's 8AM and you want breakfast :(

Hardhatdan
May 7, 2007, 4:51 AM
There is a few things at Brewsters I've had, has sucked so bad it kind of deletes the good things I have had.

If it wasn't for that Raspberry beer...BEER AND FUCKING RASPBERRIES, OH SHIT YA.

SHOFEAR
May 7, 2007, 4:53 AM
The Raspberries that sit in the bottom of the pitcher are freakin amazing.

Hardhatdan
May 7, 2007, 4:55 AM
Its like gob himself picked those raspberries, I swear I can taste the souls of small children in them.

CanadianCentaur
May 7, 2007, 5:00 AM
There is a few things at Brewsters I've had, has sucked so bad it kind of deletes the good things I have had.

If it wasn't for that Raspberry beer...BEER AND FUCKING RASPBERRIES, OH SHIT YA.

LOL.

Actually, I like their raspberry ale better than the blueberry one. Only reason I had the blueberry one today was that I hadn't had one in for so long I forgot what that tasted like - But I still like the raspberry one better, and the raspberry ale's what I drank tonight in addition to the Rig Pig and the Wild West Wheat Ale. :D

SunCoaster
May 7, 2007, 5:08 AM
Believe it or not I think that a couple of the 'chain' type restaurants are actually pretty decent spots for breakfast in Edmonton ... I'm referring to Smitty's and Albert's ...:tup:

Herr_Verlage
May 7, 2007, 5:51 AM
I did not think it was possible to be an Edmontonian unless you have dined at Barb & Ernies!

Xelebes
May 7, 2007, 5:53 AM
I did not think it was possible to be an Edmontonian unless you have dined at Barb & Ernies!

Hm, I don't think I have heard of that one.

Hm... why have I not heard of that one before?

0773|=\
May 7, 2007, 6:49 AM
I'll second a vote for Urban Diner. Great breakfast, but for dinner they also have an angus burger that's to die for.

As for the best bang for your buck for breakfast. It's tough to beat the breakfast special at Crystal Palace (150 street and 118 ave). Two strips of bacon, eggs however you like 'em, a good portion of hash browns, and toast (wh/ww), for $3.99. Nothing spectacular as far as quality, but it's not McDonald's and it fills you right up.

Coldrsx
May 7, 2007, 2:56 PM
^commodore on jasper/107st.

2 eggs, bacon/ham/sau, browns and toast for $4.25....in the downtown thats really good.

Kevin_foster
May 7, 2007, 3:19 PM

That's it, hand in your citizen card and walk shamefully to Calgary.

EDIT: That's it keep shuffling, get them hands in those pockets.

Xelebes
May 7, 2007, 4:50 PM
That's it, hand in your citizen card and walk shamefully to Calgary.

EDIT: That's it keep shuffling, get them hands in those pockets.I could never live in Calgary. Saskatoon maybe but definitely not Calgary.

Edmonchuck
May 7, 2007, 5:04 PM
All good places, my fav is the Silk Hat...

0773|=\
May 7, 2007, 11:59 PM
^commodore on jasper/107st.

2 eggs, bacon/ham/sau, browns and toast for $4.25....in the downtown thats really good.

I'll have to give that one a try. Another one that I can't believe I forgot about was Hap's Hungry House on Stony Plain Road and 161 street. That place has some killer breakfast.

It's great discovering non-franchise restaurants scattered throughout the city that end up having even greater food. Often they're places I see every day in a suburban strip mall, but never check out. It sucks that so many people walk blindly into a Humpty's or Denny's (or Chili's/Moxie's for that matter), without any thought about local businesses that are often better for their customers and only manage to get noticed via word-of-mouth.

dubiousmike
May 8, 2007, 1:49 AM
I could never live in Calgary. Saskatoon maybe but definitely not Calgary.

I feel ya'. I could never live in 95% of Calgary.

We're talking about breakfast, right? I like the Lido's big breakfast special, with bacon, two sausages, a big-ass piece of ham, hashbrowns, a buttload of toast, and 3 eggs any style. $7.35

yads
May 8, 2007, 5:23 PM

I live in Calgary and even I've had breakfast there.

guymez
May 8, 2007, 6:20 PM
I'll have to give that one a try. Another one that I can't believe I forgot about was Hap's Hungry House on Stony Plain Road and 161 street. That place has some killer breakfast.
I have tried Haps as well. It wasn't too bad...definitely a step up from Dennys or Humptys. You want a killer breakfast, the next time your in Calgary try a California Omelette at Nellies on 4th ave or 17th ave SW. :tup:

It's great discovering non-franchise restaurants scattered throughout the city that end up having even greater food. Often they're places I see every day in a suburban strip mall, but never check out. It sucks that so many people walk blindly into a Humpty's or Denny's (or Chili's/Moxie's for that matter), without any thought about local businesses that are often better for their customers and only manage to get noticed via word-of-mouth.
I couldn't agree more, the non-franchise restaurants are the way to go (for the most part). It's all about quality ingredients and a little care in preparing the meal...the chain stores just don't cut it IMO. I wouldn't eat at the majority of those places even if the meal was free.
I have never understood the appeal with Moxies...it reminds me of an old Trooper song...3 dressed up as a 9.

chuber
May 8, 2007, 10:49 PM

And everyone should enjoy it while they can because unfortunately it won't be there forever. And when it closes, that will be it. No different location, no different owners. The building will be leveled.

CanadianCentaur
May 8, 2007, 11:39 PM
And everyone should enjoy it while they can because unfortunately it won't be there forever. And when it closes, that will be it. No different location, no different owners. The building will be leveled.

When?

chuber
May 9, 2007, 3:09 PM
No definite time yet, but they will be 'retiring' soon. The land their building is on is very valuable to the company located right behind them and this past year with land values going up so much in Edmonton that company has been making them offers they are having trouble saying no to. And when they buy it they will be tear it down to expand their shop. It is already at the point where they will make more money off the interest on the sale proceeds than they do operating the restaurant.

They closed the restaurant for 6 weeks last summer to go to Germany and they are interested in spending more of their time back there, so it is only a matter of time. There probably won't be much warning when they do close up which is why I say, enjoy it while you can. :)

Coldrsx
May 9, 2007, 8:56 PM
^must go before closes...

guymez
May 11, 2007, 4:37 PM
Very much appreciate all the suggestions.....commodore
Blue Plate Diner, Cafe Deville, Urban Diner, 109st bistro, silk hat, l'azia, Brewsters (Raspberry beer :tup: ) Glenora Grill and Madison Grill.
Great stuff. :D
I look forward to giving each and every one of these a go but not before I visit Barb and Ernies...that one is a priority.

kel
May 11, 2007, 5:12 PM
Another good place is lumberjacks, there is 2 locations on the east end.More of a blue collar place but they have huge breakfasts. I usally find myself there with a saturday morning hangover.

Coldrsx
May 11, 2007, 5:15 PM
i wish we had a DeDutch here in downtown...hell in Edmonton. Their $13 omelettes are something to behold.

guymez
May 11, 2007, 8:08 PM
i wish we had a DeDutch here in downtown...hell in Edmonton. Their $13 omelettes are something to behold.

They make good hardy pancakes as well.

rapid_business
May 20, 2007, 5:02 PM
I search for this thread on the idea of going for breakfast this morning looking for a place I've never gone before....

Sad to say I've never been to Commodore or Silk Hat... so it shall be one of those I suppose.

Coldrsx
May 20, 2007, 6:16 PM
^both are great...if it is just bacon and eggs, como: omm or the such, silk

rapid_business
May 20, 2007, 10:32 PM
Commodore it was. Huge plate of bacon (I can't eat eggs) homestyle potatoes and toast for $4.25... (same price for a bit less bacon and two eggs).

Sure it's ugly as sin inside, but it's a cheap greasy spoon with good food.

Coldrsx
May 20, 2007, 11:34 PM
^reminds me of a little small alberta town place.

RWin
May 21, 2007, 3:31 PM
How about IKEA. Only a buck.

CanadianCentaur
May 23, 2007, 6:13 AM
Sorry I almost forgot to post this, but I want to tell you people here this:

Tried to go to the Silk Hat this morning, only to find it closed - apparently without warning. This was at about 9:45 am, and a quick peek through the big window showed it completely dark and the display shelf completely empty. There was just the new hours saying it'd be open 7 am to 9 pm or something like that (can't remember exactly, though), but nothing like a notice of seizure or closure notice or whatever.

So...I went to the Commodore instead, and had some bacon and eggs and toast and a cup of coffee. The bacon and eggs themselves were good, as well as the toast, but the hash browns aren't what I'm used to. The coffee isn't much to write home about, but it was pretty drinkable. I'd probably go there again if I wanted a cheap brekkie, though I'll likely order something else just for the sake of trying something a little different.

rapid_business
May 23, 2007, 1:41 PM
yeah, I saw the Silk Hat closed on Sunday. Not sure if they are normally open on Sunday, but that's why we went to the Commodore instead.

guymez
Jun 12, 2007, 3:10 AM
Visited the 9th st Bistro Sunday morning with a couple of friends...very good omelette, good coffee and very good service. I would definitely go back there again.

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2007, 2:49 PM
^great to hear, one of my fav little brunch places.

Danma
Jun 12, 2007, 6:12 PM

Hear, hear! Barb and Ernie's is great. Nothing better than eggs benny with Schnitzel on the side!

guymez
Jun 13, 2007, 2:56 AM
^great to hear, one of my fav little brunch places.

I can see why...it's great little spot. :tup: