PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Millionaire Counties

bobdreamz
May 4, 2007, 2:53 PM
*TNS Financial Services, a market research and polling firm, ranks the nation's top 10 counties with the highest number of millionaire households, which have a net worth of at least $1 million, not including the value of a resident's home.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/pf/0704/gallery.Millionaire_Counties/index.html

No. 1
Los Angeles County, California
Number of millionaire households: 268,138
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 23%
Percentage of nation's millionaire households: 3%

No. 2
Cook County, Illinois
Number of millionaire households: 171,118
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 40%
Percentage of nation's millionaire households: 2%

No. 3
Orange County, California
Number of millionaire households: 116,157
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 10%
Percentage of nation's millionaire households: 1%

No. 4
Maricopa County, Arizona
Number of millionaire households: 113,414
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 62%

No. 5
San Diego County, California
Number of millionaire households: 102,138
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 9%

No. 6
Harris County, Texas
Number of millionaire households: 99,504
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 16%

No. 7
Nassau County, New York
Number of millionaire households: 79,704
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 13%

No. 8
Santa Clara County, California
Number of millionaire households: 74,824
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 6%

No. 9
Palm Beach County, Florida
Number of millionaire households: 71,221
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 11%

No. 10
King County, Washington
Number of millionaire households: 68,390
Percentage of state's millionaire households: 33%

tackledspoon
May 4, 2007, 4:54 PM
If it was done by percentage, I'm pretty sure that Morris County, NJ, where I grew up would be on this list. I'm most surprised by the lack of Manhattan, though.

Jersey Mentality
May 4, 2007, 5:19 PM
^ many NJ counties would be on the list, like Bergen, Passaic, maybe Essex

trvlr70
May 4, 2007, 7:12 PM
I'm now understanding who is buying all the residential that's spurring Chicago's downtown highrise boom.

Chicago103
May 4, 2007, 8:03 PM
I'm now understanding who is buying all the residential that's spurring Chicago's downtown highrise boom.

On a per capita basis Cook County doesnt have any more millinaires than just about anywhere else since roughly 2% of the nation's and 40% of the state's population lives in the county and thats the same as the percentage of millionaires.

trvlr70
May 4, 2007, 8:11 PM
On a per capita basis Cook County doesnt have any more millinaires than just about anywhere else since roughly 2% of the nation's and 40% of the state's population lives in the county and thats the same as the percentage of millionaires.

But just the the raw numbers would explain.

arbeiter
May 4, 2007, 8:43 PM
Los Angeles is an interesting case, because it's both a very populous county and also has a large raw number of millionaires.

Harris County is perhaps the most interesting of all, because not only is it very populous, but being a millionaire in Houston is like being a multi millionaire in LA. You can live very handsomely on a relatively modest income there. So I would say Harris County has to be the bang-for-buck winner. $1 million buys you a shack in Santa Clara county, in Houston it buys you a bona fide pre-war mansion or mansionette, 3 luxury high-rise 1 bedroom apartments, or, if you're tacky, a McMansion with acreage galore, 3 car garages, 6 or 7 bedrooms, a circular driveway, etc.

Also, New York County (Manhattan) is only like 1.5 million people.

mhays
May 4, 2007, 9:21 PM
To me, "living handsomely" requires more than my own home. The neighborhood has to be good too, especially the public realm. So, to me, the expensive cities actually do have bang for the buck.

Rusty van Reddick
May 4, 2007, 9:45 PM
This list is worthless. The largest counties by population will have the largest numbers of milionaires. There is no standardization here and therefore this tells us nothing.

bobdreamz
May 4, 2007, 10:03 PM
^ how is this list worthless?...it points out where most millionaires live in the US and it seems they choose to live in major metropolitan areas.

spoonman
May 5, 2007, 8:12 AM
No offense but it always puzzles me how Phoenix has a large concentration of millionaires...

PHX602
May 5, 2007, 8:30 AM
It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out...North Scottsdale. You're probably just puzzled because it landed on top of SD.

arbeiter
May 5, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah it's Scottsdale. It's like putting Jackson Hole next to the city limits of Las Vegas or something...

trebuchet
May 12, 2007, 5:50 PM
maricopa county also is the 4th largest county in the US, so not surprisingly there are some millionaires.

jhennie
Mar 14, 2008, 11:37 AM
nice info this is a accurate?:rolleyes:

JDRCRASH
Mar 14, 2008, 3:01 PM
I'm not suprised that L.A. County tops all. Remember, within it's boundaries is Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, BelAir Estates, Malibu Hills and other Super High-end Gated Communities.

Then you have Orange County; in that area you have San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, and Newport Beach.

Plus California has more Millionaires than anywhere else in the Country; hence many of it's counties are on the list.

dollaztx
Mar 15, 2008, 10:02 PM
I agree with furrycanuck. Its obvious that the largest counties for the most part will lead the list. There are small counties that have a greater ratio of millionairs that wouldnt make the list simply because of thier size. I think it would tell us more if it were calculated by the ratio of millionaires to non-millionaires.

Gordo
Mar 15, 2008, 11:10 PM
^ how is this list worthless?...it points out where most millionaires live in the US and it seems they choose to live in major metropolitan areas.

It doesn't show you that at all - it simply shows you which major metropolitan areas have very few counties. I would be much more surprised if the two largest counties in the US by far (LA County and Cook County) didn't have the most millionaires. The only thing interesting about this list are the ten largest by population counties that are left OFF of the list.

seaskyfan
Mar 16, 2008, 12:07 AM
Looking at the number of millionaires rather than the % of millionaires does seem kind of odd.

FYI - From the July 2006 estimates the ones on the population top 10 list that aren't on this list are Kings (NY), Queens (NY), Miami-Dade (FL), and Dallas (TX).

The ones that aren't in the top 10 for population on the estimates list that show up on this list are King (WA) - #14 on estimate list, Santa Clara (CA) - #17 on estimate list, Palm Beach (FL) - #29 on the estimate list, and Nassau (NY) at #27.

http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/CO-EST2006-07.html

JDRCRASH
Mar 16, 2008, 5:19 AM
It doesn't show you that at all - it simply shows you which major metropolitan areas have very few counties. I would be much more surprised if the two largest counties in the US by far (LA County and Cook County) didn't have the most millionaires. The only thing interesting about this list are the ten largest by population counties that are left OFF of the list.

In land size, or population? In pop., correct, Los Angeles County is easily the most populous, because New York City is not a county; hence the boroughs. In total land size, however, no......it is San Bernardino County.

Gordo
Mar 17, 2008, 8:57 PM
In land size, or population? In pop., correct, Los Angeles County is easily the most populous, because New York City is not a county; hence the boroughs. In total land size, however, no......it is San Bernardino County.

Was anything in this thread talking about land size? Didn't think so.

JDRCRASH
Mar 19, 2008, 3:37 PM
Umm...sorry....

sf_eddo
Mar 19, 2008, 10:11 PM
They also didn't account for home value, right? Which I think is odd, considering that is most people's highest value asset.

NorthScottsdale
Mar 27, 2008, 1:09 AM
actually all of the millionaires in phoenix arent in north scottsdale, the city in arizona with the highest number of millionaires is glendale, the millionaires in scottsdale just have more millions than the millionaires in glendale. and paradise valley puts both cities to shame there is so much damn money in paradise valley its almost disgusting lol. hopefully i can live there someday. and this list seems pretty accurate. it goes by the number of millionaires, not the percentage, if it was percentage wise im sure it would be completely different.

PhxSprawler
Mar 27, 2008, 7:51 PM
I don't see how Glendale can possibly have more millionaires than the city of Phoenix, but I do agree with your points about wealth.

It isn't a big deal anymore to have a million dollars in assets, especially with the introduction of 401(k)s. Home values aren't included because they often come with inaccurate valuations and liabilities to back it up.

urbanactivist
Mar 27, 2008, 10:10 PM
If it was done by percentage, I'm pretty sure that Morris County, NJ, where I grew up would be on this list. I'm most surprised by the lack of Manhattan, though.

LOL it's because they've fallen off of the million mark... spending too much money on rent:lmao:

urbanactivist
Mar 27, 2008, 10:19 PM
Los Angeles is an interesting case, because it's both a very populous county and also has a large raw number of millionaires.

Harris County is perhaps the most interesting of all, because not only is it very populous, but being a millionaire in Houston is like being a multi millionaire in LA. You can live very handsomely on a relatively modest income there. So I would say Harris County has to be the bang-for-buck winner. $1 million buys you a shack in Santa Clara county, in Houston it buys you a bona fide pre-war mansion or mansionette, 3 luxury high-rise 1 bedroom apartments, or, if you're tacky, a McMansion with acreage galore, 3 car garages, 6 or 7 bedrooms, a circular driveway, etc.

Also, New York County (Manhattan) is only like 1.5 million people.

To me, it's pretty evident that Harris is creating millionaires based on the amount of money one saves from living there (it's obviously not that easy, but you get the drift). Considering that mid-level salary is pretty decent, it's probably the best value city around.

In LA, I wouldn't understand the allure of being a millionaire. There's so many (and they're so active around the city) it seems like it wouldn't even be fun or abnormal.

JDRCRASH
Mar 28, 2008, 5:19 PM
Funny, just a few years ago, it seemed like $1,000,000 was nothing, but its worth probably has overall gone up a bit due to the economic contraction.

~~OFF TOPIC~~

Yay, my 1,000th post!:5:

weatherguru18
Mar 29, 2008, 11:29 PM
According to Leno, the Federal Reserve unveiled the new look for the $5 dollar bill...it's the old $10 dollar bill. LOL LOL LOL....if you look at it that way, you can cut all these numbers in half. I can't say I disagree. Our dollar is glorifed toilet paper right now.

IHIH11
Jul 15, 2008, 8:16 PM
Nassau county, New york ? Dude that's LONG ISLAND!

JDRCRASH
Jul 17, 2008, 1:41 AM
And?

Atlantan26
Jul 17, 2008, 11:33 PM
Georgia will never be on this list we have too many counties, not like most states that have huge counties. But theres still a lot of millionaires around here! i just need to find one thats single. :yes:

alexjon
Jul 17, 2008, 11:35 PM
Thank god the millionaires here aren't all that stuffy.

Yay Seattle!