PDA

View Full Version : South Waterfront News

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

pdxman
Oct 24, 2007, 8:00 PM
Thank you couvscott for all the updates :)

CouvScott
Oct 24, 2007, 8:04 PM
Thank you couvscott for all the updates :)

No problem.

This one looks like it will have a nice shape for the waterfront with some curved corners. Plus, I believe this is 2 stories taller than we first thought, maxing out the 250' limit. Also, Promethius will build their own sales center across the street on block 44.

pdxman
Oct 24, 2007, 8:21 PM
Do we know which architecture firm is doing 41?

CouvScott
Oct 25, 2007, 3:08 PM
Do we know which architecture firm is doing 41?

Ankrom Moisan

Diffbean
Oct 25, 2007, 6:10 PM
Not sure if I have done this correctly and my photo skills are not near that of Dougall5505 but here you go.

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=159608611/a=6433607_6433607/t_=6433607
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=159608611/a=6433607_6433607/t_=6433607

blackc5
Oct 25, 2007, 7:25 PM
Not sure if this was posted before. I looked but didnt see it. A south waterfront panorama:

South Waterfront (http://www.aerialpan.com/portfolio/aerial_popup/28)

edit: I didnt take this or anything - just saw a link to one for seattle and thought you would enjoy.

PacificNW
Oct 25, 2007, 7:32 PM
⤴ Cool! Tks!

pdxman
Oct 25, 2007, 7:57 PM
Wow, that pano is trippy. Thats awesome

Sekkle
Oct 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
^^^ Wow, that's really cool. Thanks for posting it!

Drew-Ski
Oct 26, 2007, 12:48 AM
Took me a minute to figure it out......good find!

zilfondel
Oct 26, 2007, 6:32 AM
interesting... nothing below the picture! must have taken it from a helicopter?

More importantly, why is there still a giant hole next to the 3720?? Only 1/2 block... shouldn't they fill it in with a parking garage?

CouvScott
Oct 26, 2007, 2:44 PM
I wonder if the Hoffman crews will speed up, now that their CEO has moved in to the John Ross...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/couvttocs/drinkwardshome.jpg

mudshark
Oct 27, 2007, 5:26 AM
Very cool link, thanks. Love those 360 degree cams. There's one on the McMenamins website of the inside of the Crystal Ballroom, for all of you who appreciate what a beautiful room that is.

MarkDaMan
Oct 29, 2007, 3:06 PM
City envisions veterans' housing
Planning - It's taken longer than hoped, a city leader says, but the South Waterfront will get its first low-cost homes
Monday, October 29, 2007
ANDY DWORKIN
The Oregonian

The first affordable housing in Portland's South Waterfront district would focus on homeless or low-income veterans under a plan pushed by city Commissioner Erik Sten.

Sten and his staff would like to get veterans into 84 of the 210 units of low-income housing planned at one end of the Portland Streetcar line. That would allow them to ride two stops to the aerial tram station connecting to OHSU and the adjoining Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

"The VA hospital is right there. And what could be a more civic use of the tram?" Sten said.

The site, several blocks south of the district's new condo towers and Oregon Health & Science University's office building, now holds little more than parking for the nearby Old Spaghetti Factory.

The city and Williams & Dame Development have committed to erecting a five-story building with affordable housing by 2010 in what's called Block 49, southwest of the intersection of Lowell Street and Bond Avenue.

All the units are aimed at people earning less than 60 percent of Portland's median family income (that's less than $28,500 for one person or $40,750 for a family of four). At least one-tenth of the units must be for people earning less than 30 percent of median income.

Sten's plan would add more units for those poorest residents: 42 of the vet-focused units would be "permanent supportive housing" aimed at ending chronic homelessness by integrating subsidized housing with social services, from job skills to addiction treatment. Another 42 units would be targeted at vets earning 31 percent to 50 percent of the median family income.

The idea has interest from city and private developers. But challenges loom.

The city and developers need extra money to increase the number of units aimed at the lowest-income residents. It's illegal to limit housing to vets, so planners must craft a legal way to HOUSING E2

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1193619304158110.xml&coll=7

zilfondel
Oct 29, 2007, 6:37 PM
What is Sten, the commissioner of trendy fads?? He just can't decide whether affordable housing should support artists, low-income families, veterans...

and they've built like what, 1 building in the whole city? Kind of pathetic attempt...

Anyways, I think the city should focus on families and low-income people more. The Feds really need to take care of vets, and hopefully after the next national election they will actually step up to the plate.

I know one guy who's arm got blown off by an IED - the feds paid him $300 a month for disability. Kind of a pittance, I guess.

MarkDaMan
Oct 29, 2007, 6:47 PM
^I just realized it the Oregonian cut off 2/3rds of the print story. I'll see if I can find the entire thing on Oregonlive...

The stupidest part of the article was Homer saying something about needing to building housing for the working poor, those making $30-40K annually.

mudshark
Oct 30, 2007, 4:58 AM
:previous:
300 a month disability!!??!!??....that's pitiful. Shame on the feds. Seriously.

MarkDaMan
Nov 2, 2007, 3:13 PM
Ross Island transfer is a go
Eight years in process, Pamplin gives land to city
By Nick Budnick
The Portland Tribune, Nov 2, 2007

After years of on-again, off-again negotiations, the gift of a portion of Ross Island to the city of Portland became a reality Wednesday morning.

For about an hour, City Council chambers hosted a chorus of mutual thanks, congratulations, appreciations and praise, ending with Mayor Tom Potter signing a donation agreement that already had been signed by Robert B. Pamplin Jr., owner of Ross Island Sand & Gravel Co. Pamplin also owns the Portland Tribune.

Potter said the 45-acre gift of sensitive habitat, which later will be joined by 15 acres of reclaimed habitat, would remain a prized area a century from now, and will anchor a “world-class urban wildlife refuge.”

Pamplin thanked environmental leaders, elected officials and city staff for helping “create history.” He also presented the city with a check for $100,000 for future maintenance of the island.

Ross Island actually is two islands that were joined artificially 80 years ago, creating a stretch of 175 acres of land that nearly surrounds a 106-acre lagoon created by gravel mining. Mining was halted on the island in 2000.

The lagoon now serves as a rest stop for endangered salmon, while the island itself provides nesting areas for bald eagles and other birds.

“This is a critical spot on the Willamette River,” said Travis Williams of Willamette Riverkeeper during the meeting.

Starting in 1903, Ross Island periodically has been floated as an ideal site for a city park. In about 1926, Ross Island Sand & Gravel set up an aggregate mining operation on the island. In 1976, the Pamplin family purchased the company.

In 2001, Mayor Vera Katz and Pamplin announced a handshake deal to turn over a portion of the island to the city, pending negotiation of the details.

Earlier this year, Pamplin announced that the deal was off, blaming city foot-dragging, legal wrangling, unidentified “interest groups” and personal attacks in the media.

Environmentalists, current and former city officials, and others complained that Pamplin was reneging on his deal — and may have meant to do so all along.

In June, Pamplin unexpectedly invited three environmental leaders to join him in one last try to hash out their differences. The three were Mike Houck of the Urban Greenspaces Institute, Bob Sallinger of the Audubon Society of Portland and Willamette Riverkeeper’s Williams.

The subsequent session , the environmentalists said after Wednesday’s meeting, was a turning point. The four men eventually went through a proposed legal agreement line by line until they had forged something mutually acceptable.

“It really does sound like a cliché,” Houck said, “but when you sit down eye to eye across a table, it becomes harder to demonize someone.”

Pamplin also backed down on his stated plan to go it alone as far as preserving the habitat on the island. In May, he said that he would hire a nationally recognized consultant and preserve the habitat better than the city could.

Now, however, not only will the city prepare a management plan for the donated portion of land, but Pamplin will prepare a habitat plan for the land he retains with the participation of the same environmental “interest groups” he once criticized.

Pamplin, after the meeting, stressed that over the eight years since he first discussed the idea with the city, his goal has been to balance preserving 650 family-wage jobs while also doing the right thing for the environment.

Asked to discuss the earlier heated disagreements, he declined, saying, “Everything is wonderful.”

The only audience comment on the agreement was made by Sara Culp, who had staffed the donation talks early on in the Potter administration but no longer works in the mayor’s office.

She called Ross Island “a real gem,” and described a day years ago when she was paddling near the island with her family as “the moment when I realized I had truly fallen in love with the city of Portland.”

nickbudnick@portlandtribune.com
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=119395234413982700

CouvScott
Nov 6, 2007, 8:18 PM
There was equipment moving dirt around on Block 46 when I passed by there today. It could be staging for other projects, but there is a construction trailer on the NW corner of Block 49.

flux73
Nov 8, 2007, 8:28 AM
I've had this recurring hope/wish for the Zidell site. That whoever buys it or gets the land, keeps the warehouse, guts and cleans it from the inside out and then convert it into the Portland equivalent of Pike Place Market. Heck, it could take over for Saturday market and THEN some. We could have a permanent Farmer's Market in there as well. Don't know how financially feasible it would be as it seems like every piece of land in SoWa has been earmarked for condo/apt usage. Oh, and a water taxi stop right in front would be perfect, with stops at the downtown waterfront, the Waterfront Pearl, the Rose Garden Arena, and then OMSI. Thoughts?

joeplayer1989
Nov 8, 2007, 10:43 AM
hells yes we need water taxis. why stop there why not all the way down to wilsonville, lol is that even possible? WELL Vancouver is. on second thought those places suck ptown is allways the way to go! but van be growing it would be cool to travel all that way, I bet its faster during rush hour...im afraid the interstate 5 bridge is going to collapse soon, its so crappy, thank god for this new plans. Does anybody know if jantzen beach is going down and if there building a new mall or something?

MarkDaMan
Nov 8, 2007, 3:40 PM
^Jantzen Beach is going to be turned into a big box strip mall, ala Cascade Station...

MarkDaMan
Nov 8, 2007, 3:41 PM
Apartments rising in South Waterfront
Rentals are hot, condos are not, as market demands shift
Thursday, November 08, 2007
RYAN FRANK
The Oregonian

South Waterfront, Portland's new riverfront neighborhood, started rising when condos got crazy and Oregon Health & Science University craved more space. Five condo towers and one medical research building sprouted in the past four years.

South Waterfront's second generation will look quite different.

With condo sales cool, developers sidelined two projects. A third will be built instead as apartments.

Developers now have designs on that apartment building and five others within a few blocks as apartments become the fastest-growing segment of the downtown housing market. OHSU, which is constrained by tight finances, sold one of its lots to make way for senior housing and has no immediate plans to build on its neighboring property.

Developers' flip to apartments and senior housing provide a window into Portland's shifting downtown housing market. Developers and investors see a condo oversupply, a new urban lifestyle for seniors and, apparently, near boundless demand for high-rise, high-rent apartments. Top-of-the-line apartments will run more than $3,000 a month.

The condo and apartment markets are well-known for boom-then-bust cycles, and it's possible that some planned projects may not happen. But for now, the rush to build is on.

Prometheus Real Estate Group Inc., a Bay Area apartment builder, plans two South Waterfront towers to cash in on what it sees as Portland's popularity with newcomers.

Jon Moss, a senior vice president, chalks it up to the often repeated line about Portland's quality of life.

"As a result, you see more companies move there, creating more jobs," says Moss, whose company makes a practice of holding its apartment properties for decades. "We're bullish in the long term."

Downtown housing in flux

Downtown Portland hasn't always been so popular.

In the post World War II race to the suburbs, Portland's downtown -- like so many across America -- emptied. For decades, Portland saw only a handful of housing towers jut into the skyline. That changed with the Pearl District in the 1990s and, more recently, South Waterfront.

The Pearl saw condos go up first, proving there's demand for downtown living. Those were followed by apartments that provided more housing options. It's the natural evolution for a downtown neighborhood, says Robert Black, associate vice president at Norris Beggs & Simpson.

But with condos slow and apartments hot, the rental supply downtown is tight and rents are rising. So, apartments are the new condo in Portland's skyline.

In South Waterfront, apartment builders see a captive market driven by their neighbor and Portland's largest employer, OHSU.

Even with high rents, they expect students, interns, nurses and visiting professors will help fill the roughly 1,800 apartments in the plans. Outside the university, Black says high-rise renters may be people who just want to try out urban life, or well-paid contract workers for big businesses, such as Nike or Columbia Sportswear. "That's a pretty deep market," Black said. "It's surprising how deep it is."

Tall plans Four of South Waterfront's planned apartments would rise above 20 stories.

The first will be Trammell Crow Residential's 22-story luxury tower. The Alexan, now under construction, is designed to look just like the neighboring condos from the outside.

"Now, the floodgates are open," said Michael W. Cline, a principal at Portland's Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, which is designing four South Waterfront apartment projects.

At his Southwest Portland office, Cline stood before a wall plastered with Ankrom's South Waterfront designs. Asked about the district's future, Cline pumps his fists and says: "Apartments. Apartments. Apartments."

Just south of the Alexan, Trammell Crow plans to start another 22-story apartment in fall 2008.

Just east of that, Prometheus plans an even earlier start next spring on a 250-foot tall apartment.

Just south of that, Prometheus plans another apartment tower -- maybe as tall as 325 feet -- in early 2009.

All the while, property right next to the river -- land coveted for high-priced condos -- will sit untouched once the tony Atwater Place is finished.

High-rise construction is expensive and also brings high rents.

The apartments will run about $2.20 or $2.25 per square foot.

That means a typical 700-square-foot one bedroom would run about $1,500 a month. A three-bedroom, top-floor apartment would be more than $3,000.

In addition to the high rises, two shorter apartment projects are in the works.

Simpson Housing of Denver plans a six-story project. Ankrom Moisan had drawn up plans for a 20-story condo project on the site, known as Block 46, before the market cooled. Just south of that, the city and developer Homer Williams are working on a low-income project targeted for veterans.

On OHSU land, Pacific Retirement Services will start work in March on a 30-story senior housing tower, called the Mirabella. The Medford nonprofit is betting that downsizing baby boomers will prefer active city life over secluded suburban assisted-living centers.

"It's a new way to look at the next chapters of life," said Paul Riepma, the company's vice president of marketing.

So far, it seems to be selling. Riepma says people have reserved more than one-third of their 224 units since they started taking orders in September.

Next door, OHSU has not decided what year it will start its next South Waterfront building.

Ryan Frank: 503-221-8519; ryanfrank@news.oregonian.com; blog.oregonlive.com/frontporch.
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/business/119449410612420.xml&coll=7

65MAX
Nov 8, 2007, 5:26 PM
^Jantzen Beach is going to be turned into a big box strip mall, ala Cascade Station...

Jantzen Beach is already a big box strip mall. They used to call them "power centers" back in the '90's.

Diffbean
Nov 8, 2007, 6:49 PM
Let's just hope the Cline vision of "Apartments, Apartments, Apartments" is Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

PacificNW
Nov 8, 2007, 6:56 PM
↑ Why, Why, Why?

Diffbean
Nov 8, 2007, 7:18 PM
↑ As a condo owner, not looking forward to a large amount of apartments being built in the community. Renters "tend" to not have the same sense of respect to an area as do owners (my opinion).

PacificNW
Nov 8, 2007, 7:34 PM
↑ I would think that many of these apartment towers being proposed could be converted to condo's once the market improves. In addition, the rents appear to be on the high end so I doubt if they will attract "trailer park" trash.. ⬇⬇ :)

pdxman
Nov 8, 2007, 8:30 PM
↑ As a condo owner, not looking forward to a large amount of apartments being built in the community. Renters "tend" to not have the same sense of respect to an area as do owners (my opinion).
I can see your point. I think the rents will be pretty high in sowa tho, so i think that will scare away/exclude those renters you speak of.

MarkDaMan
Nov 8, 2007, 9:25 PM
The NW district isn't trashed because of 'renters' who don't care. It's not like these are suburban apartment complexes built in the 70s either.

Jantzen Beach is already a big box strip mall. They used to call them "power centers" back in the '90's.

But Jantzen still has the mall component too. Most of the complex, including the hotel across the street, is going to be torn down and rebuilt like Cedar Hills crossing or Cascade Station. A crappy assed strip mall welcoming people to Oregon...aye...

65MAX
Nov 8, 2007, 10:42 PM
^^^^
I didn't know they were redoing Jantzen Beach again. Have you seen any plans for this? Are they including some residential component? Could be a popular place to live if they'd just add some more housing (that doesn't float).

downtownpdx
Nov 8, 2007, 10:55 PM
Seriously, you'd think that old Red Lion hotel (I'm assuming that's the one being torn down?), would be a prime spot for either a new hotel, or condos/apts. with the riverfront location. I can't believe that property's turning into more chain stores, although maybe the hotel site will be built differently. Like you said, Mark, would be nice to have something attractive at the 1-5 gateway to Oregon (and not a Sports Authority or T-Mobile store).

MarkDaMan
Nov 9, 2007, 12:06 AM
^that is actually where a developer wants to put a WalMart and why Sam Adams pushed through a temporary building moratorium on the island citing traffic issues.

Have you seen any plans for this? Are they including some residential component?

I have but don't have time to locate the renderings and site map as I'm heading out for the nice long weekend. YAHOOO! There was no housing included...anyway, here's something I found online quickly from August 30 of this year.

Jantzen Beach slated for major demolition, upgrade

Rumors of change to the indoor mall at Jantzen Beach SuperCenter might finally move beyond speculation now that a Portland commercial real estate firm is shopping around a reconfigured retail center. The plans being marketed by Commercial Realty Advisors NW LLC call for demolishing the old, indoor section of the mall and rebuilding stand-alone stores that resemble the kind of shopping found on the center's west end. For more, see Friday's Columbian.
http://www.columbian.com/business/businessblog/index.cfm?month=8&year=2007

PacificNW
Nov 9, 2007, 12:09 AM
I know there is an effort to save, purchase and relocate the carousel...

joeplayer1989
Nov 9, 2007, 7:48 AM
I know there is an effort to save, purchase and relocate the carousel...

the only thing worth saving on that whole island i think.....

WHY not put a frys electronics there if there sticking to big box garbage and not another depressing wal-mart

360Rich
Nov 9, 2007, 4:51 PM
^^There was a rumor a couple of years ago that Fry's was going in a little further south at Delta Park (in the area by Joe's and Lowe's).

Anyone know if that is still in the works?

Castillonis
Nov 11, 2007, 7:45 AM
Atwater
Some workers at the Atwater thought that some people might start moving in this coming Monday. It is still fairly dirty on site due to construction. The first level units on north side have carpet appliances with paper masking down where work has been done.

Alexan
The Alexan is moving along at a slow pace.

Mirabella
Mirabella site unchanged. trees stored and office on site with green covering added to the chain link fence.

Umpqua Bank
Ask the Umpqua bank employees if you can play the Wii baseball game on the product display. I walked into the bank to talk to them since I saw that. I couldn't resist. The screen was pretty big. They mentioned that possibly a Trader Joes might go in. I told them that I thought a New Seasons somewhere in the Southwest neighborhood would be nice, though I don't know if they can afford to be located in that area.

zilfondel
Nov 12, 2007, 10:03 PM
I passed by the Atwater yesterday and there were some families having dinner in one of the lower townhouse units.

Trader Joes would be awesome!

joeplayer1989
Nov 12, 2007, 11:16 PM
I passed by the Atwater yesterday and there were some families having dinner in one of the lower townhouse units.

Trader Joes would be awesome!

cozy

alexjon
Nov 16, 2007, 11:36 PM

Did you stare at them?

I would have.

Drew-Ski
Nov 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
I noticed in Marks post (214) "Apartments rising up in South Waterfront" Prometheus is planning a 325' apartment tower to possibly break ground in 2009.........I was getting a little concerned that there were not going to be anything built in the Distric above 250' in the future. This is good news.

Dougall5505
Nov 26, 2007, 3:37 AM
posted some new pics from this friday over here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=90344&page=54

Castillonis
Dec 1, 2007, 1:14 AM
Ankrom Moisan submitted a document for a design review on 06Dec07 at 13:30 for block 49. A full block six story mixed use building with some type of LEED certification.(pg2)(pg 6,12) There will be one level of underground parking. There is some parking at street level within the U shape. (pg 36)

source
1.http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=171423

Some of the postings in this thread that refer to block 49 are Brg #330, #336, MarkDaMan #206,#335 CouvScot

The images were take from the document in source 1.
http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/34338/2003825371851214329_rs.jpg

http://aycu15.webshots.com/image/34614/2003806350615873423_rs.jpg

PacificNW
Dec 1, 2007, 2:11 AM
↸ Thanks for the info, guys!

zilfondel
Dec 3, 2007, 3:15 AM
You guys forgot the obligatory AMAA website (http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/project/?category=housing&project=141&redir=L3BvcnRmb2xpby8/IzIx) renderings:

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/141_lg1_block-49_01.jpg

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/141_lg2_block-49_02.jpg

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/141_lg3_block-49_03.jpg

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/141_lg4_block-49_04.jpg

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/141_lg5_block-49_05.jpg

It will be a good solid building for SoWa - its got some personality and will fit right in with Block 46 (http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/project/?category=housing&project=173&redir=L3N1c3RhaW5hYmxlX2Rlc2lnbi8/UEhQU0VTU0lEPWI1NWQ4YTZhODAwZjk2MDgwNjZjYmFhYzc3Y2FkMjZmIzQ=) right across the street.
I'm not going to be complaining when the shortest building in SoWa is only 6 stories. :)

Castillonis
Dec 11, 2007, 9:05 AM
I found this rental for the Atwater on craigslist. There are photos posted. This link will be broken as soon as the add expires or is rescinded.
2br 2 bath
$2500 for 1400 ft^2
About $1.78 ft ^2
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/502817340.html

$2500 / 2br - First month half-off! 2BR/2BA 1400sqft in Atwater Place
Reply to: hous-502817340@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-12-08, 9:49AM PST

BRAND NEW, 1400 sq/ft 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with great open floorplan (floorplan layout pic below), and park view in the Atwater Place right in the heart of the quickly developing South Waterfront. Kitchen features hardwoods, high-end Bosch/Amana stainless appliances, granite slab countertops with full granite kitchen backsplash, cherrywood cabinets, and large granite topped kitchen island. Both bathrooms have marble slab and travertine tile. This unit also includes a dining nook, HUGE utility/storage room, walk in kitchen pantry, 8x10 balcony with park view and gas hookup. Building features secure parking and entry as well as full-service concierge. Heat/AC, gas, garbage, water, concierge and HOA's included. Seconds from OHSU, streetcar and waterfront. Sorry, no dogs/no smoking. Cats ok. Available around 12/15. 1 year lease required.

BONUS: Offering 1st month half off!!!!
Security Deposit: $1000, refundable
Cleaning fee: $250, non-refundable
Screening: $45 per person 18 and older, non-refundable
Additional secure 6x8 storage available for $100/mo.

MarkDaMan
Dec 12, 2007, 12:49 AM
^ouch! That is waaaay to expensive for me!

WestCoast
Dec 17, 2007, 3:40 AM
*bump*

11 months later... anyone heard anything?

can we presume on hold as the market shakes itself out?

Castillonis
Jan 2, 2008, 6:59 AM
I took these photos that comprise this image at 1806 on Tue 01Jan08.

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/38942/2004013398370101083_rs.jpg

2400x1019 without labels
http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/39683/2001319009556058423_rs.jpg

The 3720 has glass installed as high as the fifteenth floor.

Atwater
I saw people with their lights on and even a couple enjoying the preparation of a meal. I don't know if the ratio of lights that are lit around 1900 is a very good way to aproximate occupancy. Other buildings in the area seemed to have slightly more units lit. Though it is the holiday period and some tenets reside other places during the winter. A particular example in the Meriwether is an older couple that live Palm Springs during the winter and visit there children here at times during the summer.

Castillonis
Jan 2, 2008, 10:28 AM
I made a quick survey of craigslist at about 0200 on Wed 02Jan08. I made my best effort to exclude any duplicates such as the daily postings for #807 at the John Ross. I included Harrison data and was suprised that the Harrison had a higher unit cost. It must be the difference in location and 24 hour/day of free laundry in the basement :) Some of the company names were amusing; such as aggressive property management :)

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/38706/2000971938852974029_rs.jpg

Data

bldg, price, feet, sqft cost, bed, bath, unit

meriwether 1950 1600 1.22 2 2 12th
meriwether 2395 1323 1.81 2 18th
meriwether east 2500 2032 1.23 2 2.5
meriwether west 2200 1605 1.37 2 1113

atwater 2275 1400 1.63 2 2

john ross 1145 638 1.79 0 1 807
john ross 1375 800 1.72 21st
john ross 3200 2300 1.39 2 2.5 4th
john ross 1350 800 1.69 18th
john ross 1475 863 1.71
john ross 1695 1206 1.41 1 1 2118
john ross 1700 1200 1.42 1 1 22nd

strand 1500 1
strand 1395 842 1.66 1 1

harrison west 1050 579 1.81 1 1 3a
harrison west 1625 980 1.66 2 2 4th
harrison west 1099 4th
harrison west 1859 1000 1.86 2 2 22D
harrison west 1099 609 1.8 1 1 3C
harrison west 1459 965 1.51 2 1 1D
harrison west 1799 1000 1.8 2 2 7H
harrison east 1899 1000 1.9 2 2 18H 7th
harrison west 1399 750 1.87 1 1 10F10th

RED_PDXer
Jan 3, 2008, 2:35 AM
Those prices are outrageous! I used to live in the Rose Friend Apartments (site of the future Ladd Tower) and paid $550/month for a 600 sf unit, including all utilities. To think that was just 2 years ago..

rsbear
Jan 3, 2008, 3:51 AM
Those prices are outrageous! I used to live in the Rose Friend Apartments (site of the future Ladd Tower) and paid $550/month for a 600 sf unit, including all utilities. To think that was just 2 years ago..

Depends upon your perspective - from down here the prices look cheap cheap cheap. $3,000 a month for 1,000 square feet in a decent neighborhood is pretty typical in LA.

mudshark
Jan 3, 2008, 9:14 AM
Castillonis, regardless of the rent costs down in the SOWA, love that pic you posted above. That really stands out (for me) as one of the best shots I've seen of SOWA. Buildings popping out everywhere. Nice shot......

If only the rogaine worked as well......:cool:

cab
Jan 3, 2008, 3:08 PM
"It features a slender tower set atop a five-story podium" I wish these stories would describe these buildings correctly. Its not a tower its a slab building. From Wikipedia "Towers are tall human-made structures, always (and usually much) taller than they are wide".

awg
Jan 4, 2008, 1:34 AM

Comparing new construction vs existing construction...??? The Rosefriends was an old building (I think I recall it being built in 1900-1910 from Brian Libby's blog--http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portlandarchitecture/2007/06/a_tragic_day_fo/comments/page/2/#comments). And allegedly not a very nice one on the inside. With the exception of the Harrison, these buildings are brand new, nice inside and out, and on the water. And the Harrison was recently remodelled so that's not really a comparison either.

I am constantly confused why I hear thse kind of comparisions: old, essentially run down, and among the cheapest places vs nice, new, and the most expensive places. Of course something built today is going to be substantially more expensive than something built 100 years ago. That makes complete sense to me.

RED_PDXer
Jan 4, 2008, 2:24 AM
Comparing new construction vs existing construction...??? The Rosefriends was an old building (I think I recall it being built in 1900-1910 from Brian Libby's blog--http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portlandarchitecture/2007/06/a_tragic_day_fo/comments/page/2/#comments). And allegedly not a very nice one on the inside. With the exception of the Harrison, these buildings are brand new, nice inside and out, and on the water. And the Harrison was recently remodelled so that's not really a comparison either.

I am constantly confused why I hear thse kind of comparisions: old, essentially run down, and among the cheapest places vs nice, new, and the most expensive places. Of course something built today is going to be substantially more expensive than something built 100 years ago. That makes complete sense to me.

You're correct, the Rose Friend was built in 1906 I believe. Having lived in such an "old" building and several new buildings (back when I lived in LA) and having toured several of the newer buildings in downtown Portland, including the Harrison (I'm considering purchasing a condo), I don't see much of a difference. The Rose Friend's plumbing, sound attenuation, and electrical were all fine. Often times, the only significant differences are unit size and on-site parking; however, we're starting to see new units that are just as small, if not smaller, than those of older housing stock (the Cyan comes to mind) and lower parking ratios than 10 years ago. Old buildings fall into disrepair when owners don't take care of them, just like a newer building can fall into disrepair after 10-20 years if maintenance is deferred. I'm confused why the Harrison would command such high rents. I found the Rose Friend far more comfortable to live than the Harrison.

The point of the comparison, to clear your confusion, is that new doesn't necessarily mean better. And when the cost differentials are so significant, new is far from better.

awg
Jan 4, 2008, 9:04 PM
That's curious, because I used to live in an old, historic building downtown and paid $650 a month (2 years ago). Compared to the "luxury" condos being built that I have been in there are notable differences between what I lived in and the SOWA towers (I don't think the Harrison qualifies as luxury). My place was right around 550 sf and had views of the river and mt hood so it came in at $1.20 sq ft

For example:

historic building
- no parking on site (this is about a $150 - $200 swing downtown)
- no washer and dryer in my unit
- kitchen was very small and low end finishes
- carpet throughout
- low ceiling height (8'-0")
- exposed mechanical junk (sprinklers, etc.)
- I could faintly hear my neighbors in their unit and I could definitely hear outside my front door all the time

SOWA towers I have the model units (The meriwether and the John Ross)
- parking included
- washer and dryer in the unit
- kitchens were legit and high end finishes
- hardwood floors
- no visible mechanical "stuff"
- ceiling seemed to be more like 8'-6" or 9'-0"
- don't know about the sound, but my guess is you would never hear anything

Dougall5505
Jan 12, 2008, 7:46 PM
cirque de sul is coming to the south waterfront again.
http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=179400
Proposal:
The applicant requests Design Review approval for some of the work associated with setting up operations for the Cirque du Soleil theatrical circus on a vacant site in South Waterfront. Tents, office trailers, and a staff kitchen will be set up on the site. Site work includes the following:
Install a temporary fence and gates, water and sewer connections, concrete culverts, a spill containment berm, and shallow trenches;
Prepare existing concrete surfaces on the site so they are free of protrusions and flush with the ground;
Place fill material consisting of well-graded gravel or crushed stone to specified lines and grades to eliminate depressions and to ensure adequate drainage;
Construct eight ground anchors made of concrete; and
Cover most of the site with new asphalt paving.
The circus will operate from March 4th through April 13th. Afterwards the site will be restored to its original condition, with the exception of the proposed gravel and asphalt. Site restoration will occur through April 25th, 2008. Per the site lease agreement with OHSU, the new gravel and asphalt paving will be removed by December 31st, 2010 at the latest.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2144/2188321532_4131e9f394_o.png

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=179484
Proposal:
A new full-block, six-story mixed-use building on “Block 49” of the South Waterfront District was approved via Casefile LU 07-153880 DZM AD. The site is currently a paved surface parking area bordered by SW Lowell Street, SW Bond Avenue, SW Bancroft Street and SW Moody Avenue. The proposed development will include five floors with 209 (affordable) apartments above a first floor and lower level. The street level will include a residential lobby space and a streetcar stop. The remainder of the street level will include retail spaces, a 50-space covered garage with driveway access onto SW Bond, a loading bay and underground garage entry drive facing SW Moody, and divisible office space wrapping the remainder of the east, south and west sides of the building. The lower-level of the building will include additional parking spaces, a long-term bike parking room, and a second loading space.

A total of approximately 166 on-site parking spaces are proposed for this development. Of this total, approximately 50 parking spaces will be Growth Parking for Retail Sales and Service use. On weeknights after 6:00 p.m. and on weekends, these 50 parking spaces are proposed to be shared with the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant, which is located on the adjacent property to the east, on the east side of SW Bond Avenue.

Per Zoning Code Section 33.510.267.A.6.b.(2), if there are more than 20 parking spaces of any type on the site, parking created in conjunction with Retail Sales and Service uses is subject to a Central City Parking Review (CCPR). Because the total number of parking spaces for this development will exceed 20 spaces, the proposed 50 parking spaces for Retail Sales and Service use require approval of a CCPR.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2344/2188321578_c795916e51_o.png

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2168/2188321664_7163ceb0bd_o.png

sowa: current
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/2187551399_25b549dcd3_o.png

mudshark
Jan 13, 2008, 3:53 AM
nice pic Dougall.....wow, the 3720 went up fast. almost topped out...and the new proposal...i like the building...BUT...another 250 footer! arrrrgggghhhh...oh well....dubai we are not... ; )

zilfondel
Jan 13, 2008, 7:34 PM
lol, so much for green roofs!

These "towers" aren't very pointy. :(

joeplayer1989
Jan 14, 2008, 3:26 AM
lol, so much for green roofs!

These "towers" aren't very pointy. :(

dont bitch at least we got em

pdxman
Jan 14, 2008, 7:49 PM
What do you think will or should be done about public parking down there? i know that almost everyone on here is anti-car but realistically it seems like they'll have to put some sort of parking garage(s) down there...I'd also LOVE to see that gap filled in between the OHSU tower and the condos. Not holding my breath for biotech

tworivers
Jan 14, 2008, 8:54 PM
OHSU is required by contract to build a parking garage. I think it is planned for the lot against I-5 that was the staging area for tram construction. Construction is supposed to begin by 2010 or something? Possibly with affordable housing on top?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with auto access. Getting in and out of the neighborhood, even with the new access from the south that is planned, will be a challenge. The critical mass for car congestion seems to be very low, parking garages or not.

With the amount of land OHSU has to develop down there, combined with their apparently dim financial prospects, I think it'll be many, many years before we see any movement on those blocks, barring a sell-off. I think those parking lots are supposed to be gone by a certain date, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that renegotiated at some point.

joeplayer1989
Jan 14, 2008, 9:23 PM
OHSU is required by contract to build a parking garage. I think it is planned for the lot against I-5 that was the staging area for tram construction. Construction is supposed to begin by 2010 or something? Possibly with affordable housing on top?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with auto access. Getting in and out of the neighborhood, even with the new access from the south that is planned, will be a challenge. The critical mass for car congestion seems to be very low, parking garages or not.

With the amount of land OHSU has to develop down there, combined with their apparently dim financial prospects, I think it'll be many, many years before we see any movement on those blocks, barring a sell-off. I think those parking lots are supposed to be gone by a certain date, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that renegotiated at some point.

i think you are underestimating south waterfront.

tworivers
Jan 14, 2008, 9:24 PM
I hope you are right.

MarkDaMan
Jan 15, 2008, 2:59 AM
I believe the PDC bought rights to build housing on top of the OHSU garage. I can't imagine why the wouldn't.

OHSU is in transition. Since Kohler left, the new president is taking the university in a different direction, if not a new focus altogether. I think it will take three to five years for that vision to become apparent, and new construction will start thereafter. They already have $40M promised towards a new building, and from what I've heard, that will start in 2009 or 2010. A build out of 20 years seems like forever to us, but in the lifetime of the city, it isn't that much time. We were lucky to get the Pearl built so fast. I'd rather see SoWa, and the surrounding land, built over SEVERAL years so we have varying architecture, and multipurpose buildings next to each other. The slowdown in the housing market, and the refocus of the university might not be all that bad in the long term.

zilfondel
Jan 15, 2008, 4:23 AM
Don't forget that around 30-40% of residential growth in Portland is occurring in SoWa and the Pearl...

MarkDaMan
Jan 15, 2008, 6:52 PM
Ross Island group propels planning for urban oasis
Friends of Ross Island hope to use a “straw proposal”
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Tuesday, January 15, 2008
BY ALISON RYAN

Half of the buildings in the city of Portland were built using sand and gravel pulled from Ross Island. Now it’s the city’s turn to give back, says a group working to plan the future of the island.

“The island gave to the city, now it’s time for the city to rebuild the island,” said Mike Houck, the executive director of the Urban Greenspaces Institute and a member of Friends of Ross Island, an ad-hoc group that’s producing ideas for the future of the Willamette River island.

Among the edgy comfort and modern-architecture-in-miniature of the South Waterfront Discovery Center last week, Houck, Audubon Society of Portland’s Bob Sallinger and Willamette Riverkeeper Travis Williams laid out the past, and potential future, of Ross Island.

The crowd – three-quarters of which, by a show of hands, were South Waterfront residents – was hooked. As Houck flipped through Rorschach-like black outlines of how the island’s form has changed in the 80 years since active mining began, the room began to buzz.

“They’ve whittled down Ross Island, as you saw, dramatically,” he said.

The bottom line for the group, according to Houck, is restoring four islands in the river, including Ross Island, to ensure their long-term ecological function. Everything else that’s part of the effort – from creating beneficial relationships between people and the island to preserving and interpreting the islands’ natural and cultural histories – flows from the restoration and management effort.

Ross Island, which Robert Pamplin Jr. in September donated to the city of Portland, is the most important ecologically, said Audubon conservation director Sallinger.

“It’s also the piece the city could accept without strings attached,” he added.

Ross Island as a public space was first floated by John Charles Olmsted, who in 1903 proposed a park in the middle of the Willamette.

“This is an idea that’s been in place for a long time,” Sallinger said.

And it’s an idea that Friends of Ross Island wants to see move forward. The group – driven by the efforts of people like Houck; Sallinger; Williams; landscape designers Christina Frank, Melissa Medeiros, Mike Faha and Mike Abbate – is planning a series of meetings with community and neighborhood groups. Ultimately, Houck said, the group will come out with a “straw proposal,” a vision for the island that’s hoped to contribute to – and speed up – the public process.

“Can you imagine a more incredible site in the heart of the city?” Houck said.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDetail.htm/2008/01/15/Ross-Island-group-propels-planning-for-urban-oasis-Friends-of-Ross-Island-hope-to-use-a-straw-propos

Dougall5505
Jan 21, 2008, 4:32 AM
heres a complaint i agree with: http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=171423

RED_PDXer
Jan 21, 2008, 6:48 AM
heres a complaint i agree with: http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=171423

I was thinking some diversity of height would be a good thing for the south waterfront. SoWa is so carefully planned that it's appearing to be incredibly sterile. There's no history incorporated in the neighborhood and every proposal occupies a full city block, like a bunch of similarly styled cakes neatly separated in a refrigerator display.

I agree that the lack of green features and affordable housing in this proposal is unfortunate, but there is at least a significant amount of ground floor retail and office space, which that are desperately needs.

Is the neighborhood association composed of Lair Hill residents as well? Wouldn't they prefer shorter buildings to preserve their views?

Diffbean
Jan 21, 2008, 5:31 PM
Red_PDXer, the association does consist of the Lair Hill residents.

Dougall, thanks for the post and your updates. As a new resident of SoWa, we appreciate all the news as we are sometimes left out of the loop.

I agree that the design does not seem to meet the standards assigned by the community. Since block 49 is one of the first blocks in the district if one enters from the south, I feel it needs to be a representation of the entire community.

Dougall5505
Jan 21, 2008, 6:56 PM
I agree that the lack of green features and affordable housing in this proposal is unfortunate, but there is at least a significant amount of ground floor retail and office space, which that are desperately needs.

I don't think there is any office space in this building. And I agree that height diversity is good, my main concern is the overall design is truly lacking.

Tim the Enchanter
Jan 29, 2008, 12:20 AM
I am curious as to how they will give people access to the island when it is ready. Right now you need some kind of boat to get there.

Presumably they could build a connection from the trail that runs on the east side of the river.

pdxf
Jan 29, 2008, 12:55 AM
I hope that they leave it as float-only destination. I think there is something to be said for having a little piece of somewhat inaccessible wilderness(?) in the heart of the city. Put in a nice dock, perhaps a couple trails on the island, and let people paddle to it! Give some of us that are willing to work a little harder to have some adventure. I hate it when I hike up a mountain, only to find that Ihave to cross a parking lot at the top overflowing with drive-in gawkers. Kind of ruins the adventure of it all.

MarkDaMan
Jan 31, 2008, 4:52 PM
anybody know where the block 49 thread is?

Group protests 'cheap' plan
Neighborhood - The South Waterfront association says an affordable housing project is wrong for the area
Thursday, January 31, 2008
ANDY DWORKIN
The Oregonian

They didn't like the tram and complained the South Waterfront's glass condo towers were too tall. Now a group of neighbors is objecting to a new housing project, this time because they say it's too small with not enough affordable places for families.

In December, Portland's Design Commission approved plans to build five stories of apartments over a floor of retail and office space on a block that is now a parking lot for the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Designs call for a brick-and-glass U-shaped building with a green, open courtyard surrounded by more than 200 housing units -- the first affordable housing in an area where developers have long promised moderately priced digs.

Developers pledge to target at least 42 units to disabled or homeless veterans with federal housing vouchers; they could ride the nearby streetcar and tram to the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

But the South Portland Neighborhood Association, which vocally opposed that tram, asked the City Council on Wednesday to reject the planned affordable housing. Appealing the design commission's decision, the neighborhood group wrote that the planned building "looks cheap and is cheap."

"The comparative squat stature of the building is so radical as to label its residents 'Other' within the district," wrote the group.

And the group complained that "the project fails to provide affordable family housing" because its largest units have only two bedrooms.

The neighborhood group isn't opposed to having poor people or veterans move in, said Jim Davis, its land-use committee chairman. The association's real worry is that the building won't attract families with kids, he said.

"This is not a NIMBY situation for our neighborhood," Davis said. "We're asking for more affordable housing, more family housing."

South Portland used to have many affordable homes, public schools, gas stations and other amenities, Davis said. But the area has been gentrifying for decades, and rising home prices have squeezed out families. Today, he said, no public schools sit in the association's waterfront boundaries, and the area has just one filling station.

"We are essentially just a bedroom community with white, relatively wealthy people," Davis said. "How the hell can you have a neighborhood without families, without kids, without schools?"

City Council members agreed with Davis' desire to have more families in the South Waterfront but questioned the target of his appeal -- a building designed to house some of Portland's estimated 1,800 homeless vets.

"I think there is an urgent need for veterans housing, and I think there's a once-in-a-generation opportunity to put it here," Commissioner Sam Adams said. "I also am very impressed with the quality" of the building.

Commissioner Erik Sten, who drove the plan to house vets in the building, said it's impractical to design a moderately sized building that can house lots of children as well as veterans who need social services. While developers should build more family-friendly, affordable homes in the area, Sten said, "this is the right project for this spot."

The council voted 5-0 to uphold the design commission, which called the building "a straightforward housing block" with "pleasant compositional simplicity." Developers Homer Williams and Dike Dame hope to start construction by spring.

Andy Dworkin: 503-221-8564; andydworkin@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/120175530232980.xml&coll=7

zilfondel
Jan 31, 2008, 10:22 PM
wow. just wow.

I've been spending a few weeks down in teh CTLH neighborhood (not SoWa), and everyone tells me that families don't live in the area anyway - and I have yet to see a kid down there.

this is ridiculous - smacks of political maneuvering by the SP n'hood ass to block unwanted projects. I'm betting they want higher home appreciation = $$$

Diffbean
Feb 1, 2008, 12:19 AM
This is ridiculous. It will be the first building people see when they enter SoWa from the South. Nice representation of the neighborhood. Brilliant move commissioners.

zilfondel
Feb 2, 2008, 1:27 AM
blink

rsbear
Feb 2, 2008, 3:16 AM
well fuck you too, buddy. I assume you have millions to plunk down on the expensive condos they have been building? have a nice day.

:rolleyes:

Warm up the rest of your extensive vocabulary because I agree with Diffbean; the quality of gateway buildings are important. A squat, cheap looking suburbanish apartment building isn't ideal for that location.

And before you ask, no, I don't have millions to plunk down on anything.

Have a wonderful evening.

Diffbean
Feb 2, 2008, 4:15 AM
Zil, I am only against the design not against who is living there.

To answer your question regarding millions, that would be a NO. Just a modest middle class dual income with no kids. The main reason we moved to SoWa is so that we were not stuck sitting in traffic for half the day getting back and forth from work.

Have a great weekend and I think you need to re-assess your thoughts on the neighborhood.

PacificNW
Feb 2, 2008, 4:26 AM
Diffbean....you don't owe anyone an explanation...Your post was obvious that your "only" problem with the project was the design....not with the future tenants.

zilfondel
Feb 2, 2008, 7:14 AM
Okay, I was probably a bit harsh there. However, it was also my intent to ruffle some feathers and generate discussion - way too many of these threads are turning into the same old rehashed comments year after year..

It will be the first building people see when they enter SoWa from the South. Nice representation of the neighborhood.

Diffbean, I have a serious problem with your comment above - it seems flippant and, like the article that was posted, superficially categorizes the architecture as being subpar.

From the renderings I have seen - as well as some examples of similar construction (Lexis (http://pearldistrict.com/pearl-district-lexis-on-the-park.html)next to Tanner Springs in the Pearl), these buildings appear to have a high level of detail, decent structural systems and high quality external finishings.

Not to mention the public plaza space that Block 46 will provide.

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/173_lg3_Block46_03.jpg (http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/project/?category=housing&project=173&redir=L3BvcnRmb2xpby8/Y2F0ZWdvcnk9aG91c2luZyMxMw==)
block 46 - provides an urban plaza like the new Civic project (http://www.thecivic.com/)
http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/141_lg3_block-49_03.jpg (http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/project/?category=housing&project=141&redir=L3BvcnRmb2xpby8/Y2F0ZWdvcnk9aG91c2luZyMxNA==)
block 49 - this just doesn't look like a cheap building to me

More than anything tho I thought you were just against those people (categorical anti-poor person snobbishness) from living in your neighborhood. Which generally pisses me off to no end, particularly in a city-subsidized brand new neighborhood. The city is having a hard enough time to provide low-income affordable housing, and I think the SOWA should suck it up and allow at least 25% of the units to be built to be affordable.

related note - over 1/3 of all households in the US consist of single people living alone.

zilfondel
Feb 2, 2008, 7:27 AM
Zil, I am only against the design not against who is living there.

To answer your question regarding millions, that would be a NO. Just a modest middle class dual income with no kids. The main reason we moved to SoWa is so that we were not stuck sitting in traffic for half the day getting back and forth from work.

Have a great weekend and I think you need to re-assess your thoughts on the neighborhood.

So I take it that you just want towers then?
One of the main points of the article was bemoaning the fact that the affordable units aren't big enough for two parents with children (kind of a rarity these days tho), so they shouldn't be built.

I have actually spent dozens and dozens of hours in SOWA photographing, touring, and writing dozens of urban planning and architecture papers for class on it. In fact, I am taking a class at PSU right now where we spent 2 weeks debating the pros and cons of the district. I've also been biking through both the Pearl before most of the towers were built, and down in SOWA before they ever moved a shovel of dirt.

rsbear
Feb 2, 2008, 6:11 PM
http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/141_lg3_block-49_03.jpg (http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/project/?category=housing&project=141&redir=L3BvcnRmb2xpby8/Y2F0ZWdvcnk9aG91c2luZyMxNA==)
block 49 - this just doesn't look like a cheap building to me

It looks like a cheap rabbit hutch apartment building to me. Because of the extreme difference in height, design style and exterior finishing this building screams cheap to me. But to each his own and taste is a very personal thing so if you like it then bully of you.

MarkDaMan
Feb 2, 2008, 7:02 PM
The only thing I'm puzzled about, the people opposing this building are the residents of SoWa? Renderings for this building, while recently updated but not significantly changed, were introduced long before I think even the ground was broke on any of these towers...maybe the Meriwether. If opposition is to the height, than why the approval of the low rise super-block only one block away? I just don't see why the Simpson Housing project is great for the neighborhood, but this looks cheap and squatty?

zilfondel
Feb 2, 2008, 8:41 PM
It looks like a cheap rabbit hutch apartment building to me. Because of the extreme difference in height, design style and exterior finishing this building screams cheap to me. But to each his own and taste is a very personal thing so if you like it then bully of you.

Wow, Europe must look like a hell-hole squatters camp to you then! :tup:

tworivers
Feb 2, 2008, 9:40 PM
I have actually spent dozens and dozens of hours in SOWA photographing, touring, and writing dozens of urban planning and architecture papers for class on it. In fact, I am taking a class at PSU right now where we spent 2 weeks debating the pros and cons of the district.

Lucky you! You should start a new "pros and cons" Sowa thread with an encapsulation of your thinking at the end of the class.

I don't understand the opposition to this building, either. It actually looks pretty solid to me, affordable housing or not. And I actually WANT to see more of a dramatic difference in scale between future buildings down there. Bring on the low and mid-rise. I hope they save some of the warehouses along the western edge, too.

PacificNW
Feb 2, 2008, 10:18 PM
Delete

rsbear
Feb 2, 2008, 11:31 PM
Wow, Europe must look like a hell-hole squatters camp to you then! :tup:

I lot of post-war, mid-century European architecture does look like a hell-hole to me. And it's my right to think so. And it's your right to think not. And it's my right to not like this building for SoWa. And it's your right too do so. But you really need to stop your personal attacks on others in the forum.

bvpcvm
Feb 2, 2008, 11:44 PM
i think this building looks ok - and, it's only a rendering. so far, i've consistently been happier with the final product than i am with a rendering.

WestCoast
Feb 3, 2008, 1:53 AM
looks like the lovejoy fountain apartments in downtown.... not nice, but generally at least unoffensive.

BrG
Feb 4, 2008, 5:51 PM
As I understand it, the building will be comparable in quality to the Sitka in the Pearl. Different style, but comparable materials and construction type.

That will be a good goal. A difficult one to acheive (as the Sitka was), for sure.

It always amazes me how people ignore the financials when they complain.

"I want nicer, higher quality, perfectly located, better housing, but I want it to be cheaper."

Being realistic, it's always about balance. Make it as nice as possible, given the financial circumstances that constrain the project. Ignoring them or marginalizing them, just undermines the discussion.

Okstate
Feb 4, 2008, 6:58 PM
has anyone been inside the Sitka before?

Okstate
Feb 4, 2008, 6:59 PM
Dp

dkealoha
Feb 4, 2008, 7:58 PM
I had a friend that lived in one of the corner units in the Sitka and it was surprisingly nice for "low income" housing. He said he could hear his neighbors pretty well, but then again, I pay a pretty penny at Kearney Plaza and can hear my neighbors having a conversation as if they were standing next to me.

bvpcvm
Feb 9, 2008, 5:35 AM
Notices in the streetcar say that the stop at Lowell and Bond will close from February 18th to Fall 2009 for construction of a new building. I assume that's for construction of Block 49 (but isn't that building being appealed? Maybe it's actually Block 46? But that's across Lowell...). Anyway, SOMETHING's breaking ground soon.

tworivers
Feb 9, 2008, 5:51 AM
49, I bet. City council denied the appeal.

No idea about 46.

PacificNW
Feb 10, 2008, 6:49 PM
Here is the (reduced in size, sorry) pic Dougall5505 posted a while back. I thought it might be a good idea to repost:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/PacificNW/Picture1-2.jpg

zilfondel
Feb 17, 2008, 9:27 PM
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9236/towerwl0.jpg

I took this pic on Feb 13th.

tworivers
Feb 18, 2008, 10:01 PM
I saw this past weekend that the closure of the Lowell streetcar stop had been postponed. Not sure if this means construction has been set back, or if, for some reason, the stop will remain open for the time being while construction proceeds.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/2274837175_0c8faab4f5.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2274837755_2eb6d7a414.jpg?v=0