PDA

View Full Version : South Waterfront News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

meryland
Jul 19, 2012, 7:53 PM
Here's several pictures I took from the new bridge on July 15 2012.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yLn0Pux64d8/UAOQx70mVeI/AAAAAAAABG4/UbV2r73YOCk/s1247/IMG_1340.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HgVg6Fi3Zr8/UAOQy3u_U2I/AAAAAAAABHA/ELX5Zh8XsyU/s1247/IMG_1341.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IQOnS0uTfc8/UAOQzyn8okI/AAAAAAAABHI/1d4S4EvxHGc/s1247/IMG_1342.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yhKgvsWj6OM/UAOQ04rtCVI/AAAAAAAABHQ/D23AOyOHxd8/s1247/IMG_1343.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i2Yd74eEQsk/UAOQ1h7K75I/AAAAAAAABHY/mXde9lLV6RQ/s1247/IMG_1344.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-y4E_PhVAn0Y/UAOQ2njanUI/AAAAAAAABHg/8X9cU5PqtMc/s1247/IMG_1345.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hHZrouO6y4s/UAOQ3l17sRI/AAAAAAAABHo/om67556SeIg/s1247/IMG_1346.JPG

The whole album (69 pictures) is available here (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103227216890810985430/albums/5765610042356886993). :)

pylon
Jul 19, 2012, 9:18 PM
Just returned from playing a game of bocce down there, via the bridge.

PacificNW
Jul 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the pics!:cheers:

MilwaukeeMark
Jul 20, 2012, 5:20 PM
Thank you for that great list of interesting facts! Pretty neat stuff to know and be able to talk about with anyone I happen to be with while there.

Am I right in thinking the steel tube manufacturing mistake is visible in your first picture? It looks to dip down about half way along the photograph. If I were in charge of the bridge, I would have been outraged at such a flaw and demanded a new piece as it makes the bridge look a bit haphazardly built. Unless, of course, it was my fault in providing incorrect dimensions. Did they elaborate any on that point? Seems odd.

Sioux612
Aug 9, 2012, 12:58 AM
Today I walked around SoWa and it's just so far away from being a real neighborhood. With so many empty plots of land it feels like a dead-zone south of 3720. I know SERA has an 18-story apartment building planned directly south from the Alexan, but their momentum seems like it has slowed to a halt.

/rant

tworivers
Aug 9, 2012, 1:15 AM
^^^ Does anyone know the status of the Prometheus blocks? I'm curious why they wouldn't be in on the mid-rise apartment block wave. Are they gambling that the high-rise market is going to return soon enough to make it worth their patience? Are they going to sell? Have they already?

I would personally love to see a different direction taken for the rest of Sowa -- the uniform heights detract from any possible sense of organic development and the whole area feels impersonal, generic, and generally devoid of culture right now.

Sioux612
Aug 9, 2012, 1:31 AM
I hope they continue with the high-rise development in the future. The two 6-story buildings stick out like a sore thumb IMO. Maybe even raise the restrictions from 325' to 400-ish.

IIRC Prometheus sold some of his blocks.

bvpcvm
Aug 9, 2012, 1:55 AM
^^^ Does anyone know the status of the Prometheus blocks? I'm curious why they wouldn't be in on the mid-rise apartment block wave. Are they gambling that the high-rise market is going to return soon enough to make it worth their patience? Are they going to sell? Have they already?

I would imagine that lots zones for more than 5 stories are hard to come by and so they will wait it out rather than lock up their property with less lucrative buildings.

PacificNW
Aug 9, 2012, 3:14 AM
:previous: I agree with Sioux612... Raise the height limit...in fact, also raise it in the Central Business district....fill in the toothless gap between the Fox Tower and the U.S. Bancorp Tower....and while we are at it...construct the largest Ferris Wheel in the world on the waterfront. If London can have one next to historic building then Portland can jump on this cool tourist attraction....

MarkDaMan
Aug 9, 2012, 4:42 AM
^No thanks, don't mind copying London, but following Seattle, that's just too much!

http://seattlegreatwheel.com/

tworivers
Aug 9, 2012, 6:27 AM
I personally don't care so much about the heights. Higher or lower, as long as they don't end up in rows of exactly the same height.

I do generally tend to favor mid-rise-style development though. I think it lends itself to more of a human-scale, pedestrian-friendly environment and I question whether Portland has nearly enough development pressure to support all that many high rises anyways (especially in the south end of South Waterfront and with no bubble to stand on). We have a chronically weak economy, tons of vacant and under-utilized land, etc etc etc. Call me a skeptic.

I also agree, though, that the limits downtown should be erased and tough incentives/disincentives put in place to encourage dense development and discourage the maintenance of auto storage facilities.

Lastly, I think the two mid-rise buildings in Sowa are fine. The first one is mediocre, the newest one with the white brick looks pretty damn good for affordable housing and better than a lot of what is going up on the east side right now...

PacificNW
Aug 9, 2012, 7:11 AM
Delete: No need for me to go onto a long discussion regarding the differences of Portland and Seattle...love them both..

Shilo Rune 96
Aug 9, 2012, 8:10 AM
Guys... I have seen unofficial drawings of a very large South Waterfront project. This guy has a strong investor and can make his money back quickly... I can't say details, but it's promising. :)

Okstate
Aug 9, 2012, 4:43 PM
When might we hear more...month, half a year?

Sioux612
Aug 9, 2012, 7:37 PM
Guys... I have seen unofficial drawings of a very large South Waterfront project. This guy has a strong investor and can make his money back quickly... I can't say details, but it's promising. :)

Zidell property?

urbanlife
Aug 25, 2012, 6:24 AM
^No thanks, don't mind copying London, but following Seattle, that's just too much!

http://seattlegreatwheel.com/

I always thought Portland should buy the old PBR sign that use to be in downtown Chicago back in the day when their waterfront was railroad tracks. It would be more fitting as an attraction than a ferris wheel....and besides, why would Portland ever want to copy Seattle?

tworivers
Aug 25, 2012, 8:18 AM
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
Guys... I have seen unofficial drawings of a very large South Waterfront project. This guy has a strong investor and can make his money back quickly... I can't say details, but it's promising.

Prometheus?

tworivers
Sep 4, 2012, 4:04 AM
Liking the feel of this one. Fingers crossed. It certainly will occupy an important spot midway between those two bridges in what has been blank space for so long...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8031/7927093816_a4de3af49f_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8321/7927336042_429c76d62d_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8456/7927334986_b3cdf7cd7c_z.jpg

PacificNW
Sep 4, 2012, 5:58 AM
This project is going up fast!:banana:

Derek
Sep 4, 2012, 6:13 AM
It really is. Hopefully it sparks further development around it to bring downtown and SOWA together.

tworivers
Sep 4, 2012, 7:43 AM
Here are a few shots of central South Waterfront taken from the ped bridge overlook. I like seeing the new mid-rise buildings down the way... oh yeah, Shilo Rune, I'm ready for a few more hints about the new project you mentioned ;).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/7927089890_fd86977c25_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8453/7927090738_d074673976_z.jpg

And one looking north, towards the Life Sciences building and site of Zidell's first building.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8453/7927089076_3d82eac748_z.jpg

MarkDaMan
Sep 4, 2012, 5:19 PM
Great pics tworivers. Every time I read those CPI, bojack, etc. blogs and articles calling the South Waterfront (SoWhat) a failure, I have to think they've never even seen current pictures. I was down there this weekend, while not Pearl district density yet, there were people walking, shopping, dining and laying in the park. To think NONE of this was here just 8 years ago, I mean nothing, this is spectacular progress!

Sioux612
Sep 4, 2012, 5:48 PM
South of 3720 bothers me because it's so dead, but that's only because I'm extremely impatient.

Zidell's 7-floor building should be starting soon, yes?

cab
Sep 4, 2012, 10:03 PM
The public park is really nice design. When the tree cover has a few more years to mature it will be a fantastic addition to the cities park network. Walking around down there I agree that it gets a bad rap. Its actually a very nice area with some quality architecture. Its very unique design, almost a little slice of Vancouver BC. It adds a lot to the cities diverse neighborhood design. Yes its not a traditional streetcar suburb that everyone loves, but it has its own thing going on. It will be a great area for seniors which is a much needed type of living for cities of the future. A few more buildings and I think it will hit a neighborhood critical mass of population that can support it as a true area worth the investment.....Its way better than the industrial wasteland it was a few short years ago. On that note, can anyone argue that the Tram is probably the best $45 million spent on infrastructure in the last 20 years. It is turning out to be an incredible deal. Compare that to your standard $50 million Hwy interchange. I'll take the tram every time.

PacificNW
Sep 4, 2012, 10:58 PM
:previous:It's good to see you posting again cab...

urbanlife
Sep 5, 2012, 1:12 PM
The construction is looking good, I agree with Derek, I hope this helps jumpstart the development of that area.

Mr. Walch
Sep 5, 2012, 5:12 PM
I saw that the city's design review board will get a "South Waterfront Briefing for Future Development of Properties between SW Gibbs and SW Porter Streets" on October 4th. Maybe we will learn a little more about SoWa's future and maybe even the major development alluded to. Let's hope.

65MAX
Sep 5, 2012, 5:12 PM
At the rate OHSU is growing, I suspect their Schnitzer Campus may be built out in 10-15 years.

65MAX
Sep 5, 2012, 5:48 PM
That's the Zidell property. They need to figure out where the new roads, parks and services are going before they carve the site up into developable lots. Looking forward to seeing a new site plan come out of this process.

Their first (7-story) project near the Tram is a good sign that this will be a well-designed addition to SoWa.

davehogan
Sep 10, 2012, 7:17 AM
That's the Zidell property. They need to figure out where the new roads, parks and services are going before they carve the site up into developable lots. Looking forward to seeing a new site plan come out of this process.

Their first (7-story) project near the Tram is a good sign that this will be a well-designed addition to SoWa.

I thought the new OHSU building near the new bridge was part of the infrastructure plan that all the parties had signed off on? I had thought I saw something about all that before groundbreaking on the new bridge/buildings in that area.

65MAX
Sep 10, 2012, 7:53 AM
There were a couple of different concept plans for the Zidell property but nothing finalized. The new OHSU buildings are part of the Schnitzer Campus, north of Porter.

MarkDaMan
Sep 10, 2012, 6:24 PM
Gallery: J.E. Dunn hits South Waterfront milestone
Portland Business Journal by Wendy Culverwell , Business Journal staff writer
Date: Monday, September 10, 2012, 9:53am PDT - Last Modified: Monday, September 10, 2012, 11:13am PDT

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/real-estate-daily/2012/09/je-dunn-hits-south-waterfront.html?ana=e_ptl_real&s=newsletter&ed=2012-09-10

J.E. Dunn Construction hits a major milestone this week as it tops out the $295 million Collaborative Life Sciences Building on the Schnitzer Campus at Portland’s South Waterfront.

It’s been almost one year since Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber led the state’s education leaders in breaking ground on the project, 2750 S.W. Moody Ave. J.E. Dunn, the contractor for the project, reports its has completed more than 300 days of work without any loss of work time to accidents. The project is the largest in Oregon outside of Intel Corp.’s roughly $3 billion fabrication plant in Hillsboro.

The topping out notes that construction crews have developed the project to its full height. It will still take more than a year to construct the interior. The building will open in phases between the fall of 2013 and winter 2014.

The Collaborative Life Sciences Building will offer 480,000 square feet of clinic and teaching space. It will serve Oregon Health & Sciences University, Oregon State University and Portland State University, allowing the partners to expand the number of doctors, dentists and researchers graduating from Oregon institutions.

Sera Architects designed the building.

Schnitzer Investment Co. donated the 20-acre property to OHSU in 2004. The gift, valued at $34 million, was the largest in the school’s history and set the stage for OHSU to expand toward the Willamette River.

Other funding includes $110 million in state bonds, $92 million from OHSU, $10 million from TriMet and $83 million in contributions. Leading donors include Bonnie and Gene Skourtes, who donated $10 million to make the building the new home of OHSU’s dental program, The ODS Cos., which committed $5 million, and A-dec Inc., which will provide equipment worth $4.35 million.

Wendy Culverwell covers real estate, retail and hospitality.

65MAX
Sep 10, 2012, 6:35 PM
^^^^

Just to clarify... the CLSB is just the 5-story building on the right in this pic. The 12-story Skourtes Tower on the left is only up to the 7th floor right now.

http://djcoregon.com/dailyblog/files/2012/01/CLSB-SKT_NW_Day_1-5-12.jpg

http://djcoregon.com/dailyblog/2012/01/19/design-for-new-pearl-district-hotel-not-a-hit-with-city-design-commission/

Mr. Walch
Sep 16, 2012, 4:27 PM
There is an interesting article about Zidell's plan for their South Waterfront property in the new Portland Monthly. I tried to find an online copy of the article but could not. If makes me want to see their plan even more. It says they are using Peter Walker, landscape architect of Jamison Square and the 9/11 memorial in NYC and ZGF. Here are some highlights:

"a master plan that tosses out both Portland's traditional grid of 200-foot blocks and the towers that defined South Waterfront in favor of curving meandering streets and industrial-chic low and midrise office buildings, housing, micro-retail and parks a la Vancouver's Granville Island."

In a private competition Zidell beat out Gerding Edlen and TMT for M Financial's new headquarters. They are considering moving to a new building on the Zidell property or remodeling their Pearl offices. A decision will come soon.

I hope more details come out soon.

NJD
Sep 16, 2012, 4:51 PM
"a master plan that tosses out both Portland's traditional grid of 200-foot blocks and the towers that defined South Waterfront in favor of curving meandering streets and industrial-chic low and midrise office buildings, housing, micro-retail and parks a la Vancouver's Granville Island."

This strikes me as a red flag. From an urbanist's view this kind of generic statement is problematic because it appears the developers are looking to create suburbia in the city with complete disregard for the surroundings, history, and urban form. I hope I'm wrong, and some proposals lately have surprised me, but this sounds like a recipe for another RiverPlace development: out of place.

Again, just a red flag, I can also see this kind of development being a great asset to South Waterfront, if done right. We shall see.

65MAX
Sep 16, 2012, 7:25 PM
I don't think it's a red flag at all. If you look at the overall site, the existing east-west streets on the site (Gibbs, Porter and the Ross Island Bridge) are all at different angles. So a traditional 200' block layout would be impossible anyway. Also, Moody is curved, as is the Willamette and any potential future alignment of Bond and River Pkwy. So the "curving" streets they mentioned are a response to the nature of the site itself, not an attempt to import suburbia into the city.

I actually think this gives them the opportunity for a lot more interesting architecture with some angled and curved facades. Also, the Pearl is low to mid-rise, as are most European cities, so I think this could be great when it's done. Their first 7-story project on Moody looks very promising.

tworivers
Sep 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
65MAX: I actually think this gives them the opportunity for a lot more interesting architecture with some angled and curved facades. Also, the Pearl is low to mid-rise, as are most European cities, so I think this could be great when it's done. Their first 7-story project on Moody looks very promising.

Amen, brother. This sounds incredibly exciting to me, *if done right*. Other than the word "industrial-chic", which I'm hoping is just the lazy journalism typical of Portland, this sounds like a developer who is both realistic about the economy and also cares enough about the work to not just want to send each building to it's maximum possible height a la Williams and Dame. Sowa is begging for a crooked tooth or two and I'd be willing to bet everyone on this board a beer that the Zidell approach ends up far more successful in the near term than the podium/tower model that the central district has over-used.

NJD: From an urbanist's view this kind of generic statement is problematic because it appears the developers are looking to create suburbia in the city with complete disregard for the surroundings, history, and urban form.

Why from an "urbanist's" view? I don't get that at all. The South Waterfront has so far hardly seemed like a cosmopolitan dream (despite the marketing) and has had a distinct feeling of inauthenticity from day one. It was a blank slate 8 years ago.

Who would have guessed that Zidell would be so willing to try something different and appear so serious about design (at least judging by the renderings of the Moody project)? And be able to beat both GE and TMT for the new M Financial headquarters?

NJD
Sep 17, 2012, 3:26 AM
^Ah yes, I refer to an urbanist view by the means of spaces made for people. The red flag comes from years of private developers creating 'office in the park' and 'urban suburban' like projects. I believe that this development will be good, but I just want to be cautiously optimistic. Most 'new urbanism' has had good intentions but terrible execution. The Zidell project may prove to be the valuable place-making asset South Waterfront is needing (much like the Brewery Blocks did for the Pearl).

Give SoWa time... it takes 20-50 years to truly make a neighborhood, not 8. For now, we are just seeing the building blocks that shape that future neighborhood. I think Sowa has a great deal of authenticity as a truly 21st century streetcar suburb (figuratively and in actuality).

2oh1
Sep 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
This strikes me as a red flag. From an urbanist's view this kind of generic statement is problematic because it appears the developers are looking to create suburbia in the city with complete disregard for the surroundings, history, and urban form. I hope I'm wrong, and some proposals lately have surprised me, but this sounds like a recipe for another RiverPlace development: out of place.

Again, just a red flag, I can also see this kind of development being a great asset to South Waterfront, if done right. We shall see.

I hate to say it, but I totally agree. The more South Waterfront can come together as a neighborhood, the better. This sounds like it's intentionally going in the opposite direction. I realize I'm guessing based on a catch-phrase loaded statement or two, but still... I can't help sensing a red flag of a developer making the mistake of treating South Waterfront like it's a slab of land near Beaverton.

Mr. Walch
Sep 18, 2012, 5:37 AM
I'm holding out faith. ZGF and Peter Walker don't strike me as suburban minded firms and Zidell's first project out of the gate, the proposed 7 story apartment building looks great. If they wanted to do suburbs they could have found a lot of firms that crank out mediocracy but they chose better. It leads me to believe that they will try to create something of more value than just low cost, low design buildings.

Of course I could be wrong...

65MAX
Sep 18, 2012, 6:00 AM
No, you're not wrong. Zidell wouldn't be paying a premium for world-class designers if they didn't want a quality product. I guarantee this will look nothing like the 'burbs when it's done.

eric cantona
Sep 18, 2012, 5:09 PM
No, you're not wrong. Zidell wouldn't be paying a premium for world-class designers if they didn't want a quality product. I guarantee this will look nothing like the 'burbs when it's done.

second that. loudly.

PWP/ZGF have more combined pedigree in modern urban planning than just about any other possible option. while I am a proponent of gridded streets for a variety of reasons, it is possible to have similar benefits even when the streets are not straight.

65MAX
Sep 18, 2012, 6:49 PM
I'm also a proponent of a strong grid, but given the odd shape of the site, our traditional 200' blocks wouldn't fit here. A grid can take many forms, including incorporating some curves into the plan. Some of Europe's most dynamic streets are curved. Also, supergrids like Salt Lake and Phoenix are a pedestrian's nightmare. The key is to have a strong streetwall and walkable blocks, regardless of the layout of the streets.

tworivers
Sep 18, 2012, 8:08 PM
@NJD: That makes sense, thanks. I'd be the first to be up in arms if they ended up doing anything like what you're afraid of in the worst-case scenario. Given the players involved, I'm expecting something compelling.

Also, it's worth remembering that none of us (apparently) has actually seen any concrete plans and are going back and forth about a blurb in the Monthly. :)

NJD
Sep 19, 2012, 1:50 AM
Looks like there are lots of us interested in this development... makes sense: it's the keystone piece of the SoWa arch.

360Rich
Sep 20, 2012, 8:23 PM
Zidell family reveals plan for South Waterfront land holdings, recruits potential developments

Published: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 1:01 A
By Elliot Njus, The Oregonian

http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porch/index.ssf/2012/09/zidell_family_reveals_master_p.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/front-porch/photo/11591939-large.jpg
Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Architects/ZRZ Realty Co

The Zidell family, longtime manufacturers of barges from a South Waterfront shipyard, has developed a master plan for its large land holdings there and says it’s ready to start redevelopment of the site in earnest.

The 33-acre site just south of TriMet’s under construction Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Bridge is the largest parcel of undeveloped land in the city. From a construction trailer under the Ross Island Bridge, the family is wooing potential commercial tenants and developments to what it is calling Zidell Yards.

urbanlife
Sep 21, 2012, 3:15 AM
Interesting development, I am curious to hear more about this as it comes about. I really can't wait to see that whole area flesh itself out and take on a life of its own. At this point the best that area could do is become its own urban center that is connected to the other urban centers around the river.

It is very unique that Portland big urban developments aren't just happening in one area in the downtown, but actually happening in several areas in and out of the downtown to create a much larger web of urban centers and urban development.

JG573
Sep 21, 2012, 6:15 AM
Hello this is my first time posting but I have been following the forum for a little while but i am not sure where this new proposal of surface parking lots fits into all their plans I would hope its temporary.

The renderings look great but all of sudden I see this proposal for surface parking lots.

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?a=410734&c=42263

bvpcvm
Sep 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Actually, I saw that too, and it is worrisome. I looked through that notice, hoping I'd find the word "temporary" in there and didn't see it. I'm surprised it's even possible, although OHSU certainly has its share of surface parking. Disappointing.

NJD
Sep 21, 2012, 3:43 PM
So much for the surface parking lot ban in SoWa, add these to OHSU's lots and we have 'temporary' parking lots for 30 years+.

MarkDaMan
Sep 21, 2012, 6:12 PM
Jay Zidell envisions offices, housing and restaurants for waterfront property
Premium content from Portland Business Journal by Andy Giegerich , Business Journal staff writer
Date: Friday, September 21, 2012, 3:00am PDT

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/print-edition/2012/09/21/jay-zidell-envisions-offices-housing.html?s=print

When manufacturing magnate-turned-developer Jay Zidell finishes developing his South Waterfront property, the land will be dotted with office buildings, restaurants, apartments and crisscrossing trains.

Among the details:

• The M Financial Group, currently based in Portland’s Brewery Blocks, is considering moving into a new building at the base of the under-construction Portland-to-Milwaukie light rail bridge.

• Preliminary plans crafted by ZGF Architects LLP include site proposals for more than 25 buildings. The structures would contain a mix of offices and housing in the upper stories and retailers on the ground floor.

• Several of the spaces would be built specifically for restaurants, possibly creating a new restaurant district.

• A park would sit underneath the Ross Island Bridge and connect Southwest Moody Avenue to the Willamette River.

• The property could accommodate a corporate campus, an idea espoused by Portland city officials when Zidell began floating redevelopment proposals earlier this year.

• Zidell could add a Willamette River access point that he calls “The Crescent.” The spot, which would jut out on the water, could be used to launch kayaks and other recreational devices.

Zidell also revealed that the district, which will contain between 3 million and 3.5 million square feet of space, will be known as The Zidell Yards.

The property will likely contain mid- to low-rise buildings in three sections: The Hill on the north side, the Village underneath the Ross Island Bridge and the Flats, on the bridge’s south side.

Unique opportunity

National and local planning experts say the Zidell project could become one of the nation’s most influential projects.

“It’s one of the top five transit-oriented development infill sites in the country,” said Chris Leinberger, president of Washington, D.C.-based LOCUS real estate firm who champions land development around light rail projects. “Show me another site in the country that has room for rail, bicycles and even an aerial tram. Plus, it’s on the water.”

Leinberger said the Zidell site is similar to the Southwest Waterfront development in Washington, D.C., and the $15 billion Hudson Yards project in Manhattan.

“The beauty is that it’s owned by one family, so they can do it right,” Leinberger added.

The Zidell barge-making and dismantling facility, along with the company’s office building, will remain operating on the site for the time being.

Zidell unveiled several ideas for redeveloping the site in February. Around the same time, he and the city began working on redevelopment agreements for the commercial and industrially zoned plots.

The Zidell property itself has a market value of more than $23 million.

Zidell said his development team is in discussions with M Financial — which employs 200 — to move from the Brewery Blocks. The company has “reached a decision point” as to whether it will relocate to a ZGF-designed structure adjacent to the new light-rail bridge, near the OHSU Collaborative Life Sciences center.

“We’re very excited about the opportunity; they have not made a decision yet but we’re hoping they decide to move down here,” Zidell said.

The Zidells have spent more than $20 million to clean hazardous metals and other contaminants from the site. The Audubon Society of Portland is watching future property developments because it had considered suing the family to force more clean-up work along the water.

The company broke ground on the redevelopment’s first project, a 118-unit apartment complex on Southwest Moody Avenue, this summer. The $20 million Emery building — named after Zidell’s father — will feature room for five retailers, including two restaurants.

Zidell said he’d still welcome a corporate campus on the property. That would likely entail a company or developer building three or more structures that connect to each other through walkways or green spaces.

Zidell and his family members, including nephew Matt French — who will serve as the land’s primary developer — aren’t in a big rush to build on the property.

“We’ll be patient with it,” Jay Zidell said.

Zidell Marine Corp.

Headquarters: Portland

Ownership: Privately held

President/CEO: Jay Zidell

Employees: 50 at the company’s barge facility, another 200 at Zidell’s Tube Forages of America plant in Northwest Portland.

Revenue: Not disclosed.

65MAX
Sep 21, 2012, 6:16 PM
The surface parking will disappear as the area gets built up. The Schitzer/Zidell/SoWa land is too valuable NOT to develop, so any parking lots there will definitely be temporary. I'm not worried at all.

Now if Goodman owned the land..... THEN I'd be worried.

NJD
Sep 22, 2012, 1:27 AM
...nod to Portland Architecture (http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portlandarchitecture/2012/09/the-zidell-yards-discussing-a-new-portland-neighborhood.html) on the topic. I am now officially excited.

JG573
Sep 26, 2012, 2:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2HpCGyr61Do#!

Came across this video and i am really glad to see just how well this whole intersection turned out. That the public investment in transportation, bike lanes and the pedestrian bridge paid off quite well.

tyroneshoelaces
Oct 2, 2012, 9:36 PM
The "park and ride" is staying for a while:

The applicant is requesting this 15 year extension as the development plans from 2005, which were addressed in the previous Central City Parking Review (“CCPR”), LU 05-125472 PR (Exhibit A.4), did not come to fruition....

The transit-oriented and pedestrian-oriented focus of this neighborhood expects parking ratios for future buildings to be low to encourage less automobile use. It is a reasonable assumption that closing the existing surface parking lot too soon may force the premature development of new structured parking at a ratio greater than what is needed at the time of full build-out. Allowing the existing surface lot to be phased out in accordance with OHSU’s 20-year Facilities Master Plan eases pressure for the future buildings to build to unnecessary parking ratios....

Market conditions have changed dramatically since the date the CCPR was originally approved. The anticipated parking structure has not been constructed nor is it proposed on the near horizon. Accordingly, the phased development plan set out in 2006 has not come to fruition. No new structured parking has been built that could accommodate the demand currently supplied by the Schnitzer lot and therefore the Schnitzer lot now must request an extension....

In this application, OHSU feels it is important to be more conservative in their phased development plan. New development that has come into the District since 2006 could not afford to incorporate any more parking than was minimally needed for that use. For example, the latest OHSU building under construction, Collaborative Life Sciences Building (CLSB), building is proceeding with a Growth parking ratio of .8 spaces per 1000 square feet well below the code allowed maximum of 2.4 spaces per 1000 square feet. OHSU believes it was simply not economically feasible to incorporate any more parking in the structure. The Supplemental parking on the Schnitzer lot was a critical element in assuring that the CLSB could be built with such a low parking ratio.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.portlandonline.com%2Fbds%2Findex.cfm%3Fa%3D399634%26c%3D42263&ei=7V1rUM_nFa_wiQLGjIHIBQ&usg=AFQjCNHM__hEQ9MitQGDkR2VP79A7G-xnA&sig2=PBdaF34NAaGI43ruK-N6Rw

cronked
Oct 6, 2012, 7:32 PM
Tram hazard.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b640/cronked/godzilla_zpsa8fc0235.jpg

tworivers
Oct 6, 2012, 8:43 PM
^^^ That's awesome! Did you do that?

urbanlife
Oct 7, 2012, 3:05 AM
I can see Godzilla whipping one of the Tram pods at downtown.

cronked
Oct 7, 2012, 1:57 PM
^^^ That's awesome! Did you do that?

Yea, whipped it up in Photoshop. It is possible that I have too much time on my hands. :)

Mr. Walch
Oct 17, 2012, 4:40 AM
On the Metro Permit Report (http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=57429&a=416236) there is a new early stage proposal for a 5 story, 200 unit mixed use building just north of the Matisse. Good to see some development happening in SoWa. It is a shame that it is another stubby.

cronked
Oct 17, 2012, 5:05 PM
On the Metro Permit Report (http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=57429&a=416236) there is a new early stage proposal for a 5 story, 200 unit mixed use building just north of the Matisse. Good to see some development happening in SoWa. It is a shame that it is another stubby.

Only 1,100 square feet of retail for a 200 unit building?? That is not good. I notice it says "Design advice request...", hopefully the advice they get will be "Add more retail space!"

Mr. Walch
Oct 17, 2012, 6:42 PM
I agree, the project should have more retail. Though if I was a developer I would look at all the unrented retail in the Matisse and wonder how long my storefronts will bleed money before it all fills up. Hopefully they powers that be and the developer will think carefully about how to place retail on a district scale inorder to make sure that a genuine main street/shopping street emerges in SoWa and it does not end up with too much partially occupied retail scattered through the neighborhood. At this point it has to be hard as there does not seem to be the critical mass of people living and working there and the perception I get from the larger city is that SoWa is a ghost town not worth visiting. But with each new project it gets a little closer to being a real live/work/shop district and soon(ish) I think it will hit the tipping point.

cronked
Oct 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hopefully they powers that be and the developer will think carefully about how to place retail on a district scale inorder to make sure that a genuine main street/shopping street emerges in SoWa and it does not end up with too much partially occupied retail scattered through the neighborhood. At this point it has to be hard as there does not seem to be the critical mass of people living and working there and the perception I get from the larger city is that SoWa is a ghost town not worth visiting.

I live down there and I can tell you that things have changed quite a bit in the last year or so. It looks like most of the condo buildings are full. I noticed that Atwater still has a dozen or so for sale but they have been stubborn from the beginning about their prices so that doesn't surprise me. The Meriwether and the John Ross have just 2-3 each that are on the market (resale). The apartments appear to be filling up fast although I don't know specific numbers. The Ardea appears to be full from my perspective.

It is a chicken and the egg scenerio in regards to retail moving into the neighborhood. I really do think we are within months of that tipping point where we see a noticable difference in retail making an effort to get down there. With the new school going in along with the Max line, the Emory and now Little Big Burger, interest should pick up. Yes, Little Big Burger could save the neighborhood, that is no exaggeration. Okay, maybe a little.

I just hope the developers have a long term (10+ years) vision for the area. Once a building is built without retail on the ground floor, we are stuck with it. I hope they trade short-term profits for long term usability for the whole neighborhood.

maccoinnich
Oct 18, 2012, 5:58 AM
Yes, Little Big Burger could save the neighborhood, that is no exaggeration. Okay, maybe a little.

That, or Beau Breedlove's new restaurant, which the Willamette Week reports is now open (http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-29321-beau_breedloves_french_dance_cafe_now_open.html) (potentially NSFW, depending on where you work).

Shilo Rune 96
Oct 18, 2012, 6:18 AM
Yes, Little Big Burger could save the neighborhood, that is no exaggeration. Okay, maybe a little.

By the way, Little Big Burger is no longer stalled. They showed a construction update on their Facebook page.

What do you think of Rilassi Coffee House? I recently had the pleasure to work with the owner, I developed the website: http://rilassicoffeehouse.com/

The Rilsassi owner is the Board President at the South Portland Business Association (SPBA), and he is actively trying to make the SoWa a better place. In fact, he may have some future development plans of his own. ;) Check out the SPBA online, http://www.southportlandba.com/, I also developed their website.

cronked
Oct 18, 2012, 7:00 PM
This is something I was working on for the South Waterfront Art Show. It was not accepted although I did have two other photos that were accepted. The art show starts on November 30th, if you are interested. I still really like this piece though. On the left is a photo I took back in 2005 and I blended it into a photo I took a few weeks ago (Sept. 2012). If you look in the middle, the Meriwether floors are lined up so you can see the construction and the finished product. I think the photo really shows the progress that has been made down there.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b640/cronked/TransformationCropped2Small_zps1ac548b9.jpg

philopdx
Oct 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
Updates from 10-20-2012.

River bank restoration work:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8108321783_9459188920_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8108319659_973e3ff8da_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8333/8108317143_17d9c593b5_b.jpg

New Zidell Development:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8108320930_417111a40b_b.jpg

New OHSU Building:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8108309831_a81c2dd0c2_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8184/8108301911_460c88b55d_b.jpg

Sioux612
Nov 13, 2012, 10:20 PM
http://serapdx.com/wp-content/uploads/clsbclimate.jpg

I'm looking forward to the build-out of this campus.

Shilo Rune 96
Nov 14, 2012, 3:34 AM
View from CHH 9th floor 11/13:

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/7139/photo11pw.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/photo11pw.jpg/)

tworivers
Nov 14, 2012, 5:34 AM
:previous: Cool picture, thanks!

PacificNW
Nov 14, 2012, 5:56 AM
:previous: Ditto..

downtownpdx
Nov 15, 2012, 8:50 AM
That's awesome, I was just up there taking pics a few days before. Went to the 16th floor, there's an awesome viewing deck that spans the length of the building. ....Then tried to gret a view looking south.... which meant me wandering the halls on a few floors trying to find a spot... and finally an employee asked what I needed... and suggested the tram. It was time to leave :)

bvpcvm
Nov 15, 2012, 1:42 PM
so wait, there's a viewing deck??

Shilo Rune 96
Nov 15, 2012, 9:05 PM
I was a patient on the 16th floor, in fact I went back for six months for followups (each month). This time I was a patient again because I just broke my wrist riding my bicycle. I was actually riding at OHSU when it happened, you may remember last Saturday was icy. I was just beginning the downhill ride and slipped out; went flying and landed on my face and left wrist. Sucks.

The photo was take with an iPhone 4S using the "Pro HDR" app. Basically the app stabilizes and takes 1-3 photos, and follows up with some cool HD effects that bring rich colors out. Notice the Fedex truck two times?

downtownpdx
Nov 16, 2012, 2:29 AM
so wait, there's a viewing deck??

Yep, I think only on the 16th floor. Just a narrow deck spanning the length of the building. I didn't expect to find it, but I was taking pics from the ped bridge over I-5 and saw some people standing up there... didn't realize there was so much space to walk around, (well back and forth) it was great!

Shilo Rune 96
Nov 16, 2012, 4:09 PM
BTW anyone know what the white crane-base is for in that pic? Just below Ross Island Bridge. It wasn't there when I took pics.

The Zidell apartments.

http://www.southportlandba.com/2012/06/12/apartment-building-plans-moody-avenue-south-waterfront/

Edit: The forums glitched my post above his somehow?

downtownpdx
Nov 16, 2012, 7:42 PM
BTW anyone know what the white crane-base is for in that pic? Just below Ross Island Bridge. It wasn't there when I took pics.

bvpcvm
Nov 16, 2012, 7:58 PM
sure, that's the 7-story zidell apartment project

downtownpdx
Nov 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
The Zidell apartments.

http://www.southportlandba.com/2012/06/12/apartment-building-plans-moody-avenue-south-waterfront/

Edit: The forums glitched my post above his somehow?

thanks! yeah i saw this glitch happen somewhere else today too.

JG573
Nov 21, 2012, 3:27 PM
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=47126&a=422182

This is the pre-app conference for the building that a little back was mention in a early assistance intake.

It is a six-story development will contain 202 dwelling units, and 1,100 square feet of ground floor retail. Parking for 202 vehicles will be provided in two below-grade levels, and be accessed from SW Abernethy Street.

tworivers
Nov 21, 2012, 7:37 PM
:previous: Looks decent, at least. I'd rather have this than another Riva with above-ground parking. Speaking of parking, does anyone understand why they would be more inclined to bury the parking in a smaller building like this, with, presumably, a smaller budget?

Derek
Nov 21, 2012, 8:09 PM
Because they know above ground parking sucks? :whip:

zilfondel
Nov 21, 2012, 8:09 PM
Ugh, this building looks wildly generic and not that great for South Waterfront. Looks like it would fit into the Pearl (use of brick, hats on the roof, etc).

:previous: Looks decent, at least. I'd rather have this than another Riva with above-ground parking. Speaking of parking, does anyone understand why they would be more inclined to bury the parking in a smaller building like this, with, presumably, a smaller budget?

Probably because once you go over 6 stories, you can't use wood framing for the structure. This will likely be a 5 over 1. They also want to maximize the # of units that they can rent... putting parking above grade would seriously reduce the # of units they can fit if they want to stay at 6 floors.

tworivers
Nov 21, 2012, 11:50 PM
zilfondel, thanks for the parking analysis.

It does look generic, but not that much more so than most of the rest of what is going up in the 5-story range around town. Not to me at least.

One thing that I don't like --I don't know what it would be called in architectural jargon, or what purpose (if any) it serves-- is the one little tower-thing jutting above the roofline that looks like the top of an elevator shaft. Freedom Center in the Pearl has the same thing and it just looks ugly.

I might eat my words but the idea of the use of materials that don't necessarily "fit in" down there sounds intriguing. I'd enjoy Sowa more if there was a greater diversity of building types/materials/heights. I wonder what the developers intend to do with the additional FAR on this block that they won't be using?

bvpcvm
Nov 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
One thing that I don't like --I don't know what it would be called in architectural jargon, or what purpose (if any) it serves-- is the one little tower-thing jutting above the roofline that looks like the top of an elevator shaft. Freedom Center in the Pearl has the same thing and it just looks ugly.

That little tower-thing is awful.

zilfondel
Nov 22, 2012, 2:41 AM
Agreed on the tower. The FAR thing will be interesting - I'm guessing it will get transferred to some of the unbuilt lots in the 'hood. I think it is really strange how this neighborhood is building out - virtually nothing between 6 and 20 stories.

urbanlife
Nov 22, 2012, 5:23 AM
Agreed on the tower. The FAR thing will be interesting - I'm guessing it will get transferred to some of the unbuilt lots in the 'hood. I think it is really strange how this neighborhood is building out - virtually nothing between 6 and 20 stories.

Yeah, I always figured in the next phase of buildings for this area we would begin to see buildings in that middle range, but then again, the under 6 story buildings pan out because of the construction methods they are able to use and the over 20 story buildings pan out because the number of units offset the cost of expensive construction. I am guessing, but I think those inbetween 6-20 story buildings wouldn't pan out too well with costs of construction to the number of units they could sell to offset those costs.

bvpcvm
Nov 22, 2012, 7:07 AM
^^^ this always makes me wonder: how do projects like the real world hotel in the Pearl (8 stories) or the Zidell apts in SOWA (7 stories) pan out? just tall enough to trigger more expensive construction, not tall enough to recoup it.

tworivers
Nov 22, 2012, 7:42 AM
BVPCVM: ^^^ this always makes me wonder: how do projects like the real world hotel in the Pearl (8 stories) or the Zidell apts in SOWA (7 stories) pan out? just tall enough to trigger more expensive construction, not tall enough to recoup it.

:previous: Me too. That might be a good Dill Pickle Club tour, some sort of trip around town with a construction/development guru...

zilfondel
Nov 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
^^^ this always makes me wonder: how do projects like the real world hotel in the Pearl (8 stories) or the Zidell apts in SOWA (7 stories) pan out? just tall enough to trigger more expensive construction, not tall enough to recoup it.

Well, 6 stories is the max that you can build using wood in Portland. The code limits you to 5 stories of wood structure, which is typically just an upsized balloon frame using 2x6s or 2x8s, stacked on top of each other. To achieve 6 floors, it is built on top of a 1-story concrete podium. This is all done due to fire regulations... however, using modern fire-rated walls, internal fire escapes, and sprinklers, the risk of fire in a low-rise building is quite low. And steel buildings can still burn.

Concrete structures, by far, have the best fire-resisting properties; and it is very difficult for a fire to spread from floor-to-floor, due to the concrete floor slab. There was a giant building in Spain that burned, but it took all day, and never collapsed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Tower_(Madrid)

As far as structural expense, wood is the cheapest, followed by concrete, then steel. Steel is still used, however, due to the speed of construction, and the fact that you buy the steel prefabricated. Also, in office construction, the steel elements are sized with wide spans that work well in an office, while concrete typically requires tighter column spacing, which works well in residential. For earthquake proofing, however, steel is better than concrete!

Note that the higher you build, you need to add more material to the structure, to support the upper floors. I believe there are certain heights that also trigger increased elevators, stairs, structure, etc that suddenly inflate the price. I think that going over 325' is one of them, not sure. You can also get by using light steel framing for lower-rise buildings, instead of the larger wide-flange beams & columns (I beams in laymen) that are very expensive. Concrete structure is almost always made on-site in cast-in-place construction and is sized to the needs of the structure, as pre-cast concrete tends to fail in earthquakes. Which is a major issue on the West Coast.

Concerning fire-resistance, massive wood structure is actually BETTER at resisting fire than steel. due to the fact that fire reduces the strength of steel (and is a heat conductor), where wood has to burn through to lose any strength.

Hopefully Portland will eventually change the code to allow taller timber structures, as we are seeing new massive wood-framed buildings being built in Europe using Cross-Laminated Timber panels and massive structural timber frame.

However, this will all require a code change.

Here are a couple of articles on the matter:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/06/05/science/0605-timber.html

http://www.jetsongreen.com/2011/12/cross-laminated-timber-construction-innovation.html

http://www.shigerubanarchitects.com/SBA_WORKS/SBA_PROJECTS/SBA_PROJECTS_14/SBA_Projects_14.html

http://timberfirst.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/clt-image_mm-kaufmann.jpg
photo from http://timberfirst.wordpress.com

http://www.storaenso.com/PublishingImages/Product%20story%20images/y1.jpg
photo from storaenso.com

http://dz8s0oagnjand.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/crosslam.jpg
photo from jetsongreen.com

pdxstreetcar
Nov 22, 2012, 11:15 PM
That Abernethy/Moody Apartment building looks to be a Texas based organization with a Dallas architect. Also not surprising given its Texan pedigree has 1 parking space per unit which by recent Portland apartment standards is quite high. Additionally most of the ground floor will be units not retail except for one 1100 sf space at Bond & Abernethy. Just saw in the DJC yesterday that the Matisse next door will convert unrented retail space in that building to ground floor residential units so they are really giving up on retail in the southend of the South Waterfront. Although the retail was terribly planned in South Waterfront from the start, its scattered all over with a little in each building instead of concentrated on one double sided street like every successful shopping street.

Shilo Rune 96
Nov 23, 2012, 1:27 AM
That Abernethy/Moody Apartment building looks to be a Texas based organization with a Dallas architect. Also not surprising given its Texan pedigree has 1 parking space per unit which by recent Portland apartment standards is quite high. Additionally most of the ground floor will be units not retail except for one 1100 sf space at Bond & Abernethy. Just saw in the DJC yesterday that the Matisse next door will convert unrented retail space in that building to ground floor residential units so they are really giving up on retail in the southend of the South Waterfront. Although the retail was terribly planned in South Waterfront from the start, its scattered all over with a little in each building instead of concentrated on one double sided street like every successful shopping street.

I'd say most of the retail is too small, especially in the Matisse. By the way, Gray's Landing will serve as Reach's new offices on the retail level.

tworivers
Nov 28, 2012, 1:57 AM
OHSU Life Sciences... they're starting to fill in the ground on the north side. Presumably it's just going to slope down away from the building until the surrounding area gets new construction?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8222138215_53536343af_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8222144903_d317af7574_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8208/8222143383_6e11644d74_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8223216314_081189a655_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8223214488_cddcf011d6_c.jpg

crow
Nov 28, 2012, 2:21 AM
Looking pretty good! I like the angular forms of the smaller building. On the fence about the animated ribbons of the tower.

cronked
Nov 29, 2012, 7:00 PM
The Urbana Market (located in the Meriwether) was robbed last night. The store was open at the time so I imagine the cashier was confronted by the robber in some way. As far as I know no one was hurt. Five police cars showed up and closed the street off for a awhile. They had dogs sniffing around for the suspect.

I found out about this when I went downstairs to check the lottery numbers and the police asked me to go back inside. This is very disappointing. The neighborhood has always seemed like the safest place.

Here is an image I took from my condo:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b640/cronked/485062_4601925818346_528763996_n.jpg

MarkDaMan
Nov 29, 2012, 8:27 PM
I live in a very quiet neighborhood, 6 miles from the city center. It's safe and uneventful. In the past year we've had a shooting, a stolen car, and an domestic abuse situation. Bad things happen everywhere.

cronked
Nov 30, 2012, 3:43 AM
Bad things happen everywhere.

Good point. It looks like my photo will be on KPTV tonight. I'm guessing the 10 o'clock news.

Sioux612
Nov 30, 2012, 9:26 PM
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=47126&a=422182

This is the pre-app conference for the building that a little back was mention in a early assistance intake.

It is a six-story development will contain 202 dwelling units, and 1,100 square feet of ground floor retail. Parking for 202 vehicles will be provided in two below-grade levels, and be accessed from SW Abernethy Street.

The lack of height variation, especially with this new project, sticks out like a sore thumb.

You have a row of 325' towers with a row of 6-floor low-rise buildings.

A far cry from the orig. vision of this district.

http://grays-landing.com/images/content/B49_Skyshots_(03-23-12)_09_small.jpg
image: grays-landing.com

MarkDaMan
Dec 11, 2012, 1:34 AM
Zidell property could get E-zone status
Portland Business Journal by Andy Giegerich , Business Journal staff writer
Date: Monday, December 10, 2012, 10:39am PST

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/real-estate-daily/2012/12/zidell-property-could-get-e-zone-status.html

Portland’s City Council could add a valuable development plot to the state’s “enterprise zone” program.

The Council is slated to vote Thursday to include the 29.2 acres that ZRZ Realty plans to build on in Portland’s South Waterfront district. The property, owned by the Zidell family, could one day include housing, offices and restaurants.

The strategy would include the property as part of Portland’s East Portland Enterprise Zone program (It’s item 1466 on this week’s Council agenda). The Portland Development Commission believes giving the Zidell company incentives to build on the site would help meet stated city goals of 10,000 jobs and 5,000 housing units in the district when it’s fully built out.

The enterprise zone program gives five-year tax abatements to firms that make capital investments intended to expand operations and boost employment.

Zidell is in talks with partners who collectively could spur hundreds of millions worth of projects in the district. South Waterfront is also home to the under-construction Collaborative Life Sciences center as well as Oregon Health & Science University’s Center for Health and Healing.

Andy Giegerich covers government, law, health care and sports business.

MarkDaMan
Dec 14, 2012, 2:30 AM
*crossing fingers*

December 12th, 2012 By NIGEL JAQUISS
Nike Eyeing Investment in Portland After Special Session
Sources say sporting goods company may invest here

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-29553-breaking_nike_eyeing_investment_in_portland_after_special_session.html

Multiple sources familiar with the deal Gov. John Kitzhaber and Nike announced earlier this week have indicated there may be a significant, undisclosed subplot to the deal—that Nike is considering a major investment in Portland.

Two sites mentioned as possible locations for expansion are South Waterfront, where big tracts of land exist adjacent to glitzy condos and downtown; and, the sprawling Con-way campus in Northwest Portland.

At least one tangible piece of information adds credence to the premise that Nike may soon be a major employer in the city.

Tomorrow, the Portland city council will consider a 29.2-acre boundary expansion of the East Portland Enterprise Zone. That land, which straddles the west end of the Ross Island bridge, includes Zidell Marine, a barge-building business, and a swath of open land north of the bridge.

Enterprise zones offer five-year property tax abatements in exchange for job creation and investment and are a widely-used economic development tool in Oregon. The enterprise zone expansion is one reason sources believe Nike is investigating the waterfront site.

On Monday, Kitzhaber called for a special legislative session for lawmakers to consider a deal he'd sketched out with the sporting-goods company. That deal would lock in Oregon's current approach to taxing multi-state corporations such as Nike for a period of between five and 40 years.

Any enterprise zone incentives the company might seek in Portland would be separate and unrelated to the state income tax issues Kitzhaber is addressing.

A lot about the Nike deal with the state and its related new investment remains unknown. But the draft legislation circulating tells us this much: if Nike agrees to make an investment of $150 million or more and add 500 new jobs, the state will continue to tax the company based on what's called the single-sales-factor approach.

Nike does only limited manufacturing in Beaverton and so any capital investment it makes as a result of the deal is likely to take the form of new office space.

But where?

The easiest place to expand is inside the berm that surrounds Nike's world headquarters and that may ultimately be what happens.

Any deal involving Nike establishing a significant beachhead in Portland would involve talks with Mayor Sam Adams, and the Portland Development Commission, the agency that is responsible for recruiting employers and often, providing them economic incentives such as enterprise zones.

City officials were mum when WW asked whether they'd had any communication with Nike or its representatives since Nov. 1, a span that encompasses the period when Kitzhaber said he and NIke worked out a deal.

"I'm not a position to respond to a question like that," PDC executive director Patrick Quinton told WW before declining any further comment.

Peter Parisot, Mayor Sam Adams' economic development adviser, was equally tight-lipped.

"I'm not going to be able to comment," Parisot told WW.

That was more than Nike would say. Spokespeople for the company did not return phone calls.

Of course "no comment" does not mean "yes," and there are plenty of reasons Nike would simply expand in Washington County: continuity; no exposure to the Business Income Tax companies located in Portland pay; and, no need to deal with Portland's weirdness.

On the other hand, Nike thrives on the energy and skills of young creatives who live in the city and may not be crazy about the awful traffic between here and the Nike campus, or about working in suburbia.