PDA

View Full Version : South Waterfront News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Shilo Rune 96
Mar 5, 2010, 2:43 PM
Does anyone happen to know what the income limitations will vary on The Tamarack?

MarkDaMan
Mar 14, 2010, 1:51 AM
Phenomenal entry level prices, I'm seriously considering...

Friday, March 12, 2010
Auction for John Ross
Unsold condos in South Waterfront tower set for auction next month
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

Most unsold condominiums at the South Waterfront’s John Ross tower will go on the auction block April 11.

The auction echoes a similar event held to dispose of unsold units at Atwater Place, a sister to John Ross, in 2009. That auction was considered a success after the released units all sold.

Like Atwater Place, the John Ross is a critical component of Portland’s South Waterfront neighborhood. At one point, the city projected the new district would contribute 10,000 jobs to the economy. No new building projects have been initiated in more than a year.

The John Ross auction is jointly sponsored by Portland real estate brokerage Realty Trust Group, and a Beverly Hills, Calif.-based auctioneer, Kennedy Wilson Auction Group.

Neither Realty Trust nor Kennedy Wilson could be reached to comment Wednesday afternoon.

The auction will feature 50 of the 303-unit tower’s approximately 84 unsold units. The minimum selling price will start at $110,000. The auction will include studio, one, two and three bedroom units and a 3,456-square-foot penthouse.

Details will be posted at TheJohnRossAuction.com, but the site was not live as of Wednesday afternoon.

The previous low price at the John Ross was $156,800 for one of the smallest units, a 631-square foot studio, according to a listing in the Regional Multiple Listing Service.

John Ross enjoyed strong sales when it debuted in 2007 but the recession chilled demand for condominiums and the pace eased. That led lender Prudential Real Estate, based in Parsippany, N.J., to take control of the project more than a year ago.

Prudential holds a $32 million note on the building.

A series of price cuts totaling more than 30 percent led to an increase in sales starting in late 2009. It continued with seven sales each in December and January, typically slow times in any market.

As of February, the project was about 74 percent sold out.

In late February, there were 84 unsold units, with the highest concentration of vacant units in the upper floors, where prices are higher. Realty Trust, which has been responsible for sales since the start, said the actual number of unsold units is closer to 74 because of pending sales that have closed.

It is not clear how the units not included in the auction will be treated. With Atwater Place, units withheld from the initial auction were later released for sale in small batches, with mixed results.

The $130 million John Ross was developed by Gerding Edlen Development and Williams and Dame Development. The 31-story building has received the U.S. Green Building Council’s “gold” rating for environmental sustainability. The elliptical design by Robert Thompson and GBD Architects was widely praised.

The John Ross has 21,400 square feet of street-level retail space, partly leased to a bank and a restaurant. The rest is empty.

The auction information office will be open daily at John Ross, 3601 S.W. River Parkway.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415

http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2010/03/15/story1.html?t=printable

bvpcvm
Mar 14, 2010, 4:28 AM
^ check out the HOA's though; they're pretty high. I don't remember exactly - seems like $300/mo was about the minimum.

MarkDaMan
Mar 15, 2010, 12:26 AM
^Yep, they are a little over $300 a month on the smaller units. I'm not sure what that all includes though.

jaxg8r1
Mar 15, 2010, 3:41 PM
^Yep, they are a little over $300 a month on the smaller units. I'm not sure what that all includes though.

There is a 1bd listed on the RMLS that shows HOA fees at $256 per month, which includes "EXTMANT, GARBAGE, GAS, HOT-WAT, INS, MGMT, SEWER, WATER, PTYROOM"....

Shilo Rune 96
Mar 15, 2010, 7:43 PM
Yeah, I found a smaller unit on RMLS with $246.70/month for HOA fees. They may have lowered them?

dkealoha
Mar 16, 2010, 1:57 AM
I just heard a couple days ago that the Cirque du Soleil folks are renting 30 apartments in the Ardea and 30 apartments in the Riva for the duration of their show here. That, on top of the John Ross auction, should add quite a bit of activity to the neighborhood! Now if only they would figure out what is wrong with the half dead weed infested grass and open the frickin park...

RoseCtyRoks
Apr 2, 2010, 5:49 PM
Mirabella's latest construction update
(Hey Mark, a little more kitchen than the J.Ross, for down the road! :) )

http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/portland/2010/032910.htm

MarkDaMan
Apr 3, 2010, 1:46 AM
^LOL, but I'm 28, not sure they'd let me buy a place there :)

Shilo Rune 96
Apr 3, 2010, 7:38 AM
Black appliances??

Artist
Apr 4, 2010, 3:47 AM
Black appliances are standard in Mirabella. White and stainless steel are upgrades. Why light-eating black would be chosen by the designers as standard for aging eyes is beyond me. Other than that, the kitchens are nicely designed.

Shilo Rune 96
Apr 4, 2010, 9:57 AM
I think the units will become outdated quick. Based on the looks of the hallways, kitchens, and HVAC systems they'll be less appealing quicker than surrounding buildings (John Ross, AtWater, etc.). The first kitchen shown in the construction update, looks like a cookie-cutter design and shows those ugly HVAV vents above. I do agree the John Ross has smaller kitchens, but I'd rather have a John Ross kitchen than one of those shown kitchens. Although the second kitchen was large...

It's interesting to see how much different the Mirabella units are different from each other, rather units in the John Ross all have similar kitchens, hardwoods floors, etc.

I keep wondering how many elevators the Mirabella will have. Think about all those staff workers constantly delivering things, they've gotta have dedicated staff elevators...?

Artist
Apr 5, 2010, 12:55 AM
There is quite a bit of variation in the floorplans, including the size of kitchens. Bear in mind that these kitchens will not be heavily used, as residents will opt for 20- or 30-meal plans/month in Mirabella's dining room. I think the kitchens are very generous and efficiently designed. Generally speaking, larger units have larger kitchens.

I have not seen dedicated staff elevators in the plans.

HVAC ducts and vents have to go somewhere. As long as they heat the place and are not where I want to hang a painting they don't bother me.

Different subject for those of you who have family/friends in SoCal: This Easter Sunday Baja California earthquake really rocked over a huge distance. I hung onto the wall. It was like standing on a waterbed while someone was jumping on it.

dkealoha
Apr 5, 2010, 3:09 AM
The walkway between the two buildings is open now and you can see into the courtyard. Looks better than I was expecting! I think if the red seen inside the courtyard is repeated on the remaining unfinished siding elsewhere, it might help the boring beige that is there now.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo1.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo2.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo3.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo4.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo5.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo6.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo7.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo8.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo9.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo10.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo11.jpg

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/Matisse/photo12.jpg

Northeast79
Apr 5, 2010, 4:04 PM
From the photos it looks like the designer was trying hard to come up with something creative on a tight budget. - Cheap siding, small punched windows, and flat elevations. Is that stucco?

This rendering from Ankrom Moisan's site gives the impression of a vibrant, "pearl-esque" atmosphere.
It might be a while before that happens.

http://www.amaa.com/pix/main_portfolio_apartment.jpg

smendesPDX
Apr 5, 2010, 5:09 PM
I actually like this building because it looks different than its glass tower neighbors. My only concern is the surrounding neighborhood... there needs to be a grocery store, drug store and gym to complete the neighborhood.

Delaney
Apr 5, 2010, 8:11 PM
This rendering from Ankrom Moisan's site gives the impression of a vibrant, "pearl-esque" atmosphere.
It might be a while before that happens.

http://www.amaa.com/pix/main_portfolio_apartment.jpg

This rendering gives the impression that the designer doesn't want you to actually see the design.

I don't blame them.

65MAX
Apr 5, 2010, 10:58 PM
It's a "background" building, it's meant to blend in to its surroundings. Right now though, there's nothing around it so it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. When the area around it is built out it'll look perfectly fine.

PacificNW
Apr 6, 2010, 12:07 AM
⇈⇈ I agree with you 65MAX.

cronked
Apr 7, 2010, 10:12 PM
I just received this in an email today. I don't have any other information yet. I'm just happy to see more of that retail space getting occupied.

"Its official ,a Montessori Preschool will open this fall here in the South waterfront. It will be located in the John Ross Tower in the space just south of the Umpqua Bank.

David Cannon is the person establishing the school . He has 25 years of Montessori experience."

cab
Apr 8, 2010, 3:11 PM
Lets connect a rope from the Riva to the Ardea a let the fun really begin. No way those guys could pass on the challenge :)

MarkDaMan
Apr 10, 2010, 2:26 AM
Friday, April 9, 2010
John Ross heads to auction
Sunday’s outcome may impact sales at nearby condo projects
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

Bargain hunters will descend on downtown Portland this weekend for a shot at deeply discounted units in the John Ross condominiums. Fifty of the glitzy South Waterfront tower’s 79 unsold residences will be auctioned at prices starting at $110,000.

The high-profile auction is the second involving a condominium tower at the South Waterfront in less than a year. Scheduled to coincide with the April 30 deadline to receive a popular federal homebuyer tax credit, the John Ross auction comes as the number of new condominiums for sale in downtown Portland continues to decline.

Only 17 percent — or 548 of the 3,137 units constructed in 21 new or remodeled buildings since 2006 — remain unsold, according to CB Richard Ellis, a commercial real estate brokerage.

“It’s not that bad in terms of the overall count,” said Kirk Taylor, a multifamily broker with CBRE who tracks new development.

Never-occupied units account for about one-quarter of the overall market, which continues to struggle with an imbalance between supply and demand. There were more than 2,000 active condominium listings in February, according to the Regional Multiple Listing Service. At the current sales pace, it would take more than 20 months to clear out the inventory.

Sales declined slightly over the winter, but a recent spike in prices suggests a revival of interest in costlier new units. The median condo price in February was $212,500, nearly 22 percent higher than October’s $174,500 level, according to RMLS figures.

Market watchers see the John Ross auction as an opportunity to clear out inventory and to establish a new price level for the South Waterfront. Indirectly, what happens at Sunday’s auction will impact future sales and prices at other unsold units around town.

Pre-auction interest is high, said Rhett Winchell, president of Kennedy Wilson Auction Group, the Beverly Hills, Calif., firm running the John Ross auction. The auction is timed to allow buyers to take advantage of the federal homebuyer tax credit, worth up to $8,000 for buyers who sign sales contracts by April 30.

The auction also will attract investors such as Prince Thekkumpuram, a software engineer, and his wife, Delphine. The Beaverton couple toured the building with their broker Monday in search of a unit they could lease to tenants, “provided we can get it at a good price,” Delphine said.

The building has few restrictions to prevent buyers from renting to tenants rather than occupying their units.

The John Ross auction comes seven months after a similar auction involving Atwater Place, a 212-unit South Waterfront tower. All the units placed on the auction block sold. At last count, Atwater Place had 61 unsold units, or 29 percent of the total building.

Pre-auction, John Ross has about 79 units unsold, or 26 percent of the 303-unit building. Lender Prudential Real Estate took control of the condo tower more than a year ago and ordered the auction after a previous round of price cuts failed to sell out the building.

Prudential holds a $32 million note on the building, which originally was built by Gerding Edlen Development Co. as a signature residential project in the $2 billion South Waterfront development.

Condo auctions remain a rarity in Portland. Every other high-profile project has experienced slow sales since the recession hit, but most haven’t faced lender-led auctions like the one at John Ross.

The 114-unit 937 opened in the Pearl District in 2008. It is about half sold out and its original developer, W & K Development, is still marketing the property.

Similarly, the 177-unit Encore, a mid-scale Pearl District project, has sold just 13 units but is actively marketed by Hoyt Street Properties. With 93 percent of its units unsold, the Encore is the slowest-selling building in Portland but remains in good standing with its lender, Wells Fargo Bank.

“We have the financial ability to keep the loan current,” said developer Joe Weston.

Debbie Thomas, owner of Debbie Thomas Real Estate, represents the Westerly, an upscale Northwest Portland project by developer Jack Onder. The 104-unit project has 27 unsold units.

Thomas said that as badly as the condominium market has struggled, it could have been much worse. Ladd Tower, the Wyatt, Waterfront Pearl, Cyan|PDX and The Ardea all began as condominiums and ended up as apartments.

Collectively, that removed 1,445 new, mostly luxury units from the listings.

“We are not overbuilt at all. We are very, very lucky,” she said.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415

http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2010/04/12/story3.html?t=printable

tworivers
Apr 10, 2010, 7:44 AM
Any word on the pedestrian bridge over 5? Dead?

65MAX
Apr 10, 2010, 5:19 PM
No, not dead. It's a guaranteed project in exchange for building the tram above Gibbs, it has to be built. Just don't know when they're breaking ground on it.

urbanlife
Apr 12, 2010, 6:03 AM
Well it looks like the John Ross auction sold units at more realistic prices, which is what they should of been at to begin with.

JordanL
Apr 12, 2010, 6:34 AM
Well it looks like the John Ross auction sold units at more realistic prices, which is what they should of been at to begin with.

What? Housing doesn't automatically increase in value at twice the rate of inflation? :haha:

Bout time they priced these things at their market value.

cronked
Apr 12, 2010, 9:58 PM
The original bridge design exceeded the budget so it was sent back to the drawing board. I really liked the first design. It was a great looking bridge. I really hope they don't water down the design too much. The following is off www.gibbsbridge.org:

"The design team is actively working on the new design. Update meetings are being scheduled with the Design Commission, South Portland Neighborhood Association; the City will also host an Open House in May 2010. The project will be advertised for construction in September 2010 with a bid opening on October 7, 2010. Construction will start in December 2010 and conclude in December 2011."

Possible New Design:
http://www.gibbsbridge.org/img/Box3_03.22.10.jpg

Older (and better looking) Design:
http://www.gibbsbridge.org/img/highwayView.jpg

65MAX
Apr 12, 2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info and the link.

This is the gateway into downtown from the south.... watering down the design is a huge mistake. Get rid of the second elevator and the fancy overlook and the grandiose stairway, but don't compromise the design of the bridge itself. That's the most visually important part of the project.

Artist
Apr 13, 2010, 3:40 AM
Well, maybe it's a girl thing, but the old design reminded me of clothes pins and clothes lines.

tworivers
Apr 13, 2010, 3:55 AM
65MAX: This is the gateway into downtown from the south.... watering down the design is a huge mistake. Get rid of the second elevator and the fancy overlook and the grandiose stairway, but don't compromise the design of the bridge itself. That's the most visually important part of the project.

Totally agree.

cronked
Apr 13, 2010, 4:41 PM
Yes, I bet they could save a bundle by getting rid of the second elevator. I thought it was silly to have two in the first place.

Shilo Rune 96
Apr 13, 2010, 5:34 PM
I've been looking at apartments the past week. The Riva claims they're 90% full and the Cyan/PDX looks about half-full. I personally would rent from the Cyan/PDX over the Riva. I like the style of the units much better, the Riva has fake stainless steel appliances on floors below about 8 and low quality cabinetry. The Cyan/PDX is just a little to expensive for what they offer.

For now, I am undecided.

JordanL
Apr 13, 2010, 8:09 PM
I've been looking at apartments the past week. The Riva claims they're 90% full and the Cyan/PDX looks about half-full. I personally would rent from the Cyan/PDX over the Riva. I like the style of the units much better, the Riva has fake stainless steel appliances on floors below about 8 and low quality cabinetry. The Cyan/PDX is just a little to expensive for what they offer.

For now, I am undecided.

The prices at Cyan may change your mind.

Leo
Apr 13, 2010, 9:44 PM
Don't know how far north you're willing to move, but have you checked out the Indigo? A friend of mine moved in there a while ago and really likes it. Beautiful apartments, and some nice deals if you're willing to sign a 14-month lease.

cronked
Apr 22, 2010, 4:52 PM
The Mirabella construction crane is coming down starting on April 28th!

dkealoha
Apr 25, 2010, 3:29 PM
There are quite a bit of plants going in on the podium roof and the terraced areas facing the park. Looks like they will also have some plants up on the setback above the dining area. It's quite noticeable from the street now and I think it's going to look amazing once all those plants grow in.

Shilo Rune 96
Apr 28, 2010, 8:50 AM
News from the OHSU O-zone website:

Wednesday at South Waterfront

In the Center for Health & Healing’s neighborhood, SW Bond Ave. will be closed between SW Whitaker and SW Gaines streets from 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. while dismantling of the Mirabella project’s crane begins. Streetcar service south of the Moody/Gibbs station will be replaced by shuttle buses for some of that time. Detour signs will be in place around the closure area. OHSU building and parking access won’t change.

Streetcar service south of the Moody/Gibbs station will also be replaced by shuttle buses from approximately Friday afternoon, April 30, through Sunday afternoon, May 2.

Shilo Rune 96
Apr 28, 2010, 11:37 AM
News from the OHSU O-zone website:

The Portland Tram will shut down Tuesday, May 25 for scheduled replacement of its haul rope. It will resume Tuesday, June 1, after the Memorial Day holiday. During the downtime, shuttle buses will run between the Center for Health & Healing and the Kohler Pavilion roundabout.

More details are coming soon—but shuttle service can’t match the Tram’s broad shoulders. It may add as much as 20 minutes to your ETA. Please plan ahead as much as you can to minimize trips between the Hill and South Waterfront that week.

The Tram folks apologize for the inconvenience, but the haul rope is pretty crucial. Next time you’re at a Tram terminal, look up: For each cabin, you’ll see two cable “tracks” with the moving haul rope between them. It’s what pulls the cabins along. After more than three years and 180,000 trips (on what is apparently the most frequently used tram line in the world), the haul rope is near the end of its useful life and will be replaced.

cronked
Apr 28, 2010, 8:32 PM
Here is a shot of some of the roof plants. Pretty nice looking patio up there!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399/4560908673_6f37eb13f5_b.jpg

Artist
Apr 29, 2010, 12:54 AM
Thank you for the roof-top photo, Cronked. Everything is looking nice.

MarkDaMan
Apr 29, 2010, 1:07 AM
OHSU plans for South Waterfront district energy
POSTED: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 02:02 PM PT
BY: Justin Carinci
Daily Journal of Commerce
Tags: Brian Newman, district energy systems, Moody Avenue, OHSU, South

If they hurry, city and Oregon Health and Science University officials have a chance to develop a district energy system for the South Waterfront. If they wait, the chance could pass.

District energy provides heating and cooling to an entire district, allowing individual buildings to tap into the system. The planned OHSU Schnitzer campus, between the Ross Island and Marquam bridges, would use such a system.

Brian Newman, OHSU’s director of campus planning, development and real estate, sees an opening, literally, with the city’s upcoming Moody Avenue project.

That project will widen and realign Southwest Moody Avenue, add a cycle track and realign and double streetcar tracks, allowing for an eventual connection to the new transit bridge. While the roadway is torn up, Newman wants to reserve tunnels that will eventually carry the district energy system’s pipes.

“Even though that corridor would be built well before we have a system in place, we want to reserve that capacity now,” he said. “Moody is our only chance of getting that done in the near future.”

Federal funding rules require the Moody project to be completed by February 2012; the district energy system could still be in design at that point.

“We can’t wait for this all to resolve itself,” Newman said. “If we can at least get them to resolve the tunnel, we’ll have the luxury of having more time.”

The Portland Development Commission and OHSU are each contributing $25,000 to an effort, starting next week, to get a better sense of the scope of the district energy project. That process will last six to eight weeks, with a feasibility study and design work requiring 12 to 18 months.

A $540,000 federal House Committee on Appropriations request for money would pay for that feasibility and design work. The system would cost at least $15 million to build, according to that request, which is before the committee.

Chris Armes, project manager for the Portland Bureau of Transportation, said Moody project planners will do what they can to accommodate the district energy system. But they’re in a hurry: the Moody design contract goes to City Council next month, and the city will seek proposals from construction managers-general contractors this summer.

“It depends where they’re at with the master plan for the north part of the district,” Armes said. “We’ll incorporate as much as we can, but we’re in the process of looking at the utilities, and where they fit in the streets, and where we’ll be on Moody.”

District energy systems have been used in one form or another for centuries, said John Sorenson, executive director for N2e, a nonprofit energy-system developer. The systems not only transfer energy efficiently, but also provide huge benefits for building owners.

“You don’t have to build into your structure things like boiler rooms and doghouse units on the roof for cooling, and you don’t have to pay for maintenance of those units,” Sorenson said. “Then you have more commercial space you can sell.”

For the South Waterfront, it’s important to get participation from everyone in the district, said Lisa Abuaf, central city manager with the PDC. “This has to be something that adjacent property owners buy into,” she said.

“How we can get buy-in up front, how we get the major institutions, the major stakeholders involved.”

For the developed part of the South Waterfront District, that didn’t happen in time, Newman said. A district energy plan would have served that entire area, but development pressures were too great five years ago.

“It was a different world,” he said. “The economy was strong, and condo builders in particular wanted to take advantage of the market.

“No one wanted to spend the time it took to get district energy,” Newman said. “They just wanted to start moving dirt.”

Those same pressures won’t hamper the next phase of South Waterfront development, he said. “The luxury of the recession is that we have time to answer some of the larger policy questions we didn’t have before.”

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/04/21/ohsu-plans-ahead-for-south-waterfront-district-energy/

tworivers
Apr 30, 2010, 7:30 PM
Merc on Sowa: "Portland's New $93 Million South Waterfront Neighborhood Has Transit, Tram, Towers—Everything but People" (http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/we-built-this-city/Content?oid=2480333)

bvpcvm
Apr 30, 2010, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately, I have to agree with a lot of the pessimism in that article. My wife and I looked at condos there at one point, but there really just isn't anything there to do without leaving the area. There is some hope, though - when the pedestrian bridge is done and even better when MAX opens in 2015 (and LO streetcar in... 2013?) that will give the area a boost. I thought that OHSU had received a grant to build a second building in SOWA; now that they're doing better financially, maybe something will come from that.

dkealoha
May 1, 2010, 4:56 PM
Merc on Sowa: "Portland's New $93 Million South Waterfront Neighborhood Has Transit, Tram, Towers—Everything but People" (http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/we-built-this-city/Content?oid=2480333)

I didn't read this article yet, but just judging from the title I have to say that it should have been "everything but retail" because there ARE a lot of people here. We now have mini-traffic jams in the morning and evening from everyone waiting to go into their parking garages and getting off the streetcar. I also seldom make it down from my 19th floor apartment without stopping at least 3 or 4 times on the way down. So, to say there are not people down here or that this is not a neighborhood is ridiculous. Again, I did not read the article yet so don't go ballistic correcting me, I'm just saying this based on the title.

On another note, the last of the Mirabella crane is coming down right now. It seems they've also started to rip up part of the fountain in the park and are doing some repairs. I swear this park is never going to open... The Matisse is getting the last pieces of the rooftop deck finished and the northern building is almost finished being clad.

EDIT: Ok I read the article. My comments still stand :-) Like I said, the title should be "everything but RETAIL" and that seems to fit the article well. It's true that most of the people out and about here have dogs. We have a dog and most of the people we meet around here are because of their dogs. If the park ever opens, I think it will bring both the dog and non-dog owning residents together and there will be much more visible people outside of the buildings. Hopefully that activity from the park will also draw more retail down here too.

RED_PDXer
May 1, 2010, 10:09 PM
Agreed that the retail and restaurant variety is lacking in SoWa. I think this is where the streetcar extension to Johns Landing and Lake Oswego would make a huge impact on the convenience and accessibility of the district. Separately, Johns Landing and South Waterfront lack the market strength to support much retail, but combined, they provide quite a bit of buying power. I suspect Lake Oswego will also be a likely destination for retail shopping when the streetcar extension happens. The trip on that alignment will be gorgeous too, a nice weekend outing on the way to shops.

Shilo Rune 96
May 2, 2010, 12:49 AM
I agree there is plenty of people. Last I knew, Riva on the Park was 90% full.

Shilo Rune 96
May 4, 2010, 3:03 AM
OHSU Names the Childcare center slated to open this fall.

From the OHSU O-zone:

The new childcare center for OHSU families—slated to open this fall at South Waterfront—now has an official name: “Healthy Starts Children’s Center at OHSU.” The Childcare Advisory Council says thanks to everyone who submitted suggestions in the naming contest—and congratulations to Cassie Coster, administrative assistant for OHSU Hospital 10K, 13A and 10A, who gets a $100 gift certificate to Learning Palace for submitting the winning entry: “Healthy Starts at OHSU.” (Yes, the final name has an additional descriptor—but the “Healthy Starts” part is key.)

Enrollment is climbing, but openings are still available in each age group. To start the enrollment process, send an interest form to Childrens’ Creative Learning Centers (CCLC). You can find information on center operations, tuition rates and more at its website. Or, to talk directly to a CCLC representative, stop by the childcare information table on one of the following dates:

Tuesday, May 11, 12–2 p.m.: Center for Health & Healing, 1st floor lobby
Tuesday, May 25, 12–2 p.m.: Mac Hall Café
Tuesday, June 8, 12–2 p.m.: Center for Health & Healing, 1st floor lobby
Tuesday, June 22, 12–2 p.m.: Mac Hall Café

Artist
May 4, 2010, 8:32 PM
Mirabella update:
http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/portland/2010/042910.htm

jaxg8r1
May 4, 2010, 10:43 PM
Shady Pines in the Sky! :)

Shilo Rune 96
May 5, 2010, 3:57 AM
The park looks nice! ^_^

Artist
May 5, 2010, 4:11 PM
Shady Pines in the Sky! :)

I don't think you are going to find many people in Mirabella stuck to their rocking chairs.

cronked
May 5, 2010, 10:08 PM
They tore up the water feature for the fourth or fifth time a couple days ago. They removed some of the concrete they laid as well. I'm guessing they had to repair a leaking pipe underground? It looks like it is fixed now since they have re-poured the concrete. Those water features can be tricky!

cronked
May 6, 2010, 4:17 PM
Here is 10 hours of video sped up to 4 mintues of the Mirabella construction crane coming down. There is no audio so you don't need to turn your speakers up.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSY7IrT3VPQ

cronked
May 6, 2010, 4:58 PM
We are all itching for the park to open but they just started doing more work on it. This must be the 4th or 5th time they have tore apart that water feature. We are told the park will be open before the summer although no date has been set yet.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4584282698_0c4224bfe6_b.jpg

Artist
May 6, 2010, 10:50 PM
Thank you for the video of the crane disassemblage, Cronked. We tuned in several times on the big day, but saw little. Merriwether residents must be enjoying their new view.

Too bad about the park. They seem to have had an awful lot of trouble with different parts. It is such an important part of the community that I hope they are able to open it soon--even opening a section would be an improvement.

cronked
May 9, 2010, 6:18 PM
In case you missed the house fire last weekend. This happened at the foot of the West Hills and I filmed it from our living room in the Meriwether. At around 1:20 I speed it up 25x to make it more interesting. At around 3:00 you can see the tram zip by. Oh, and there is music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFilVVb_568

mmeade
May 11, 2010, 4:35 PM
Thanks, I had wondered what caused the cloud. I could see it all the way from 28th and Powell!

cronked
May 21, 2010, 3:19 AM
I think my IP address changed again. The address for the Mirabella Web Cam is now:

http://98.246.157.173:8080/

dkealoha
May 21, 2010, 5:13 AM
At night the top floors facing south have hallways with full height windows that are illuminated. It creates a giant square light in the middle of the building 5 floors tall. Pretty cool effect!

65MAX
May 21, 2010, 8:18 AM
At night the top floors facing south have hallways with full height windows that are illuminated. It creates a giant square light in the middle of the building 5 floors tall. Pretty cool effect!

Pictures? :)

Shilo Rune 96
May 21, 2010, 3:13 PM
I work at OHSU, and drive over the Ross Island bridge every night. I've been seeing lots of lights on as well. ^_^

Shilo Rune 96
May 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
The Matisse completed???

Says their Craigslist ads:
http://portland.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=The+Matisse&maxAsk=&bedrooms=

2oh1
May 22, 2010, 4:44 AM
The Matisse completed???

Says their Craigslist ads:
http://portland.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=The+Matisse&maxAsk=&bedrooms=

Wow.
$1,066 for 555 sq/ft. Do people pay that to rent in South Waterfront?
Theres also a 555 sq/ft apartment for $1181. Pricey.

And wow again. Scrolling through those photos above... the building is nothing special on the outside, and that's being kind. I get that the rent is for the apartment, but the building does not look like a place that could possibly command such high rent.

65MAX
May 22, 2010, 7:02 AM
Wow.
$1,066 for 555 sq/ft. Do people pay that to rent in South Waterfront?
Theres also a 555 sq/ft apartment for $1181. Pricey.

And wow again. Scrolling through those photos above... the building is nothing special on the outside, and that's being kind. I get that the rent is for the apartment, but the building does not look like a place that could possibly command such high rent.

Location, location, location...

2oh1
May 22, 2010, 6:27 PM
Location, location, location...

That's my point. Does THAT location in its current state really command such prices? It isn't a destination neighborhood yet. I don't know anybody who GOES to South Waterfront for something to do. It doesn't even seem like a neighborhood to me, and it's totally removed from anywhere else.

Those prices seem too high to me.

...but what do *I* know?

Shilo Rune 96
May 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
I agree the rent is way to high. Even with the specials. The location isn't worth the premium yet at all. The closest grocery store is a ride on the streetcar... I'd almost want a car living there. The only thing they have going is the proximity to OHSU. I could literally sleep in 30 minutes until I have to be at work. I'm moving to the Pearl this Friday, I looked at places in the South Waterfront but wasn't satisfied with the lack of retail. I'm very excited to be moving into the city because I've lived in Oregon City for awhile. No more commuting! :)

crow
May 23, 2010, 12:55 AM
when Mirabella opens, and you put that demographic down there...going for their walks...hanging out in the parks and enjoying the golden years...i suspect more retail will pop up. as well, the diversity will start to create what will be the structure for a unique neighborhood. it takes times. I also agree, i think rent throughout the city is out of control!

cronked
May 24, 2010, 6:52 PM
They were giving tours to some of the future residents of the Mirabella over the weekend. They temporarily opened up Pennoyer St. which is just south of the Mirabella. It was nice to walk down Pennoyer for the first time in two years!

cronked
May 25, 2010, 8:23 PM
I just talked to Portland Parks and was told that the park won't be open for "weeks". They don't even have an estimated date of when it will open. They are waiting on a contractor to finish their punchlist. Apparently the contractor is moving pretty slow. How unfortunate, it is a great looking park.

Okstate
May 25, 2010, 8:47 PM
I talked to some folks working on the park the other day as well. They told me one of the biggest holdups is that a large amount of the plants that "look" dead must be replaced as has been required by the city. He went on to tell me the plants are in fact still alive but wouldn't be their vibrant selves until next spring with some maturity.

RoseCtyRoks
May 26, 2010, 7:29 AM
South Waterfront Project To Restart
POSTED: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 02:40 PM PT
BY: Nathalie Weinstein
Tags: South Waterfront, The Tamarack

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/05/25/south-waterfront-project-to-restart/

A housing development for homeless veterans has been stalled in the South Waterfront neighborhood since summer 2008. But now, the Portland Bureau of Housing says construction on The Tamarack will begin this summer.

Margaret Van Vliet, executive director of the housing bureau, said the Portland Development Commission, Mayor Sam Adams‘ office and her office were able to make the project pencil out during the city’s recent budget work.

“We were able to sharpen our pencils and make everything fit,” Van Vliet said. “It took a while but I believe we have a viable project today.”

The $49.8 million project will use a combination of tax-increment financing from the North Macadam Urban Renewal area, bond financing and tax credit equity from a 4 percent low income housing tax credit available through the state of Oregon. The project’s funding strategy still needs to be approved by Portland city council. That vote will take place in September.

Designed by Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, The Tamarack will be a six-story wood frame building with 209 apartments over ground floor retail and office space. The apartments will be available to families earning 60 percent of median family income, and 42 apartments will be reserved for veterans earning less than 30 percent of median family income.

Construction by general contractor Walsh Construction is anticipated to begin in November. Project developer Williams and Dame Development is currently seeking a nonprofit low income housing developer to be the long term owner and operator of The Tamarack.

Shilo Rune 96
May 26, 2010, 8:27 AM
http://www.portlandonline.com/phb/index.cfm?c=52610&a=301631

This new housing development will be a five story wood frame building constructed on Block 49 in the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area. The project will have 209 affordable apartments over ground-floor commercial space and both underground and at-grade parking. ll 209 of the apartments will be affordable to households earning 60% of median income or less ($29,000 for a single person household). The project will include 42 apartments targeted to veterans and affordable to households earning less than 30% MFI ($14,700). The first-floor commercial space may be used for retail, office, or community services. The project will be very “green,” achieving, at minimum, a LEED Silver standard.

Construction is expected to start in late fall 2010, with completion in 2012. Financing for the $50 million project includes TIF subsidy from the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area (NMAC URA), 4% LIHTC, and federal and state grants. Additional private activity bond financing will be temporarily used during construction.

What is the plan for the building, and who will be living there?

All of the apartments will be affordable to households earning 60% of median income or less ($29,000 for a single person household). The project will include 42 apartments affordable to households earning below 30% MFI ($14,700) and targeted to veterans. The first-floor commercial space may be used for retail, office, or community services. The project will be very “green,” achieving, at minimum, a LEED Silver standard.

What is the program for the very low income units?

Veterans will be assisted through the Veterans Administration Supportive Housing program (VASH) and the Housing Authority of Portland’s (HAP) Moving to Work program. Both programs utilize HUD Section 8 program-based and tenant-based rental assistance. Support services for the Veterans will be provided by the Veterans Administration allowing the development to target homeless Veterans, or those at-risk of homelessness.

Who is developing the project?

The Portland Development Commission (PDC) purchased Block 49 as part of the strategy for funding infrastructure improvements in the south waterfront. The former owners, North Macadam Investors LLC (NMI), have been working with PDC to plan the project and have designed and permitted construction plans through the efforts of Ankrom Moisam Architects and Walsh Construction. Although PDC and NMI agreed that NMI would repurchase the site from PDC and develop the project; both parties believe that the development process will be facilitated by having an experienced non-profit organization control the ownership and operation of the project. The non-profit sponsor will be solicited through a Request for Qualifications to be released in May 2010. The selected non-profit will form a related entity to act as the general partner or manager of the limited partnership, or limited liability corporation, to own and operate the development. It is anticipated that NMI (doing business as Williams and Dame Development), Ankrom Moisam and Walsh Construction will continue in their respective roles as development consultant, architect and contractor. The new entity, controlled by the sponsor non-profit, will develop and own the project.

Is PDC managing the project, or the new Housing Bureau?

PDC will continue to own the site until it is transferred to the new owner. PDC and the Portland Housing Bureau (PHB) are working cooperatively to implement the project with PHB as the lead bureau. It is anticipated that the new owner will enter into a Disposition and Development Agreement (DDA) with both PDC and PHB for the conveyance of the property and into loan agreements with PHB for the funding.

How will the project be financed?

Primarily, the project will utilize bond financing and tax credit equity resulting from an allocation by the state of the 4% low income housing tax credit.

How much TIF will be used?

An estimated $28 million in new TIF is needed for this project. This new TIF funding and past TIF expenditure for land acquisition and predevelopment expenses results in a total TIF expenditure of approximately $30 million.

Will this project always be off the tax rolls?

As affordable housing controlled by a not-for-profit corporation, the residential portion of the building will not be taxed. It is expected that the commercial spaces will be subject to property taxes unless the uses otherwise qualify it for exemption.

What are the TIF set-aside income guideline goals?

The following TIF set-aside income guidelines apply to the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area (NMURA).

Proposed Income Guidelines: Resource allocations will meet the following criteria: Income/Spending Category

(MFI/housing type)

Proposed Income Guidelines

Estimated Unit Potential

FY06/07 – FY11/121

0-30% MFI Rental Housing

50% - 70%

NMURA - 135-190 units

31-60% MFI Rental & 0-60% Homeownership3

20% - 40%

NMURA - 85-175 units

61-80% (100%2) Homeownership

0% - 20%

NMURA - 0-65 units

Low Income Community Facilities4

0% - 10%

Not applicable

Will this project meet the income guidelines of the Set Aside?

During the current timeframe, TIF set-aside goals require 39% of the TIF available for projects in the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area to be spent on affordable housing projects. After completion of the Central District projects, the TIF set-aside goal will adjust to 30% of total URA project resources. All of the 208 units in the Block 49 project are affordable (0-60% MFI) thus bringing the North Macadam URA expenditures into alignment with the TIF set-aside policy.

The project will be the first affordable housing project in the district. In addition to meeting the goal of spending at least 30% of Urban Renewal Area TIF on affordable housing, the project will also strive to meet some of the TIF set-aside policy income guideline goals. The Income Guidelines require at least 50% of the URA TIF set-aside allocated to units in the 0-30% MFI range and at least 20% allocated to units in the 31-60% MFI range.

How does the project meet NMURA Housing policies?

The North Macadam Housing Development Strategy and the Central District Development Plan are the key documents that outline quality, production, and income goals for housing in the North Macadam URA. This project meets many of the housing goals outlined in these strategies by creating a mixed income mixed use housing project near major employers and transportation.

Project Timeline:

Summer 2010 – Issue Request for Qualifications

September 2010 – Obtain City Council approval of funding

October 2010 - Underwriting and closing

Late Fall 2010 – Begin Construction

Other ways the project meets public policy goals:

* Project transforms a formerly contaminated site into a highly sustainable, LEED Silver apartment building
* Will add to the tax base for the commercial portions of the building
* Provides transit oriented housing opportunities at the end of the Streetcar line
* Meets the City’s Minority, Women, and Emerging Small Businesses percentage of contracting goals of 20%
* Provides apprenticeship opportunities for construction workers
* Pays quality, family wages (BOLI Commercial)
* Adds to the economic diversity of the South Waterfront district
* Builds a vibrant neighborhood with active ground floor office and retail
* Provides stimulus to the local economy now while it is needed the most

Shilo Rune 96
May 26, 2010, 8:44 AM
Check out the "Typical floor plan" on the site... It looks a lot like Lovejoy Station in the Pearl. Which is also affordable housing. The only real big difference is not every unit has a balcony like Lovejoy Station. The courtyard will sit on top of the parking garage just like Lovejoy Station... And only a one level garage (like Lovejoy Station, LOL). Lovejoy Station offers apartments at 80% MFI and 60% MFI, I will be curious to see if this building turns out the same.

http://www.portlandonline.com/phb/index.cfm?c=52610&a=301631

CouvScott
May 26, 2010, 9:35 PM
POSTED: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 02:40 PM PT
Tags: South Waterfront, The Tamarack
A housing development for homeless veterans has been stalled in the South Waterfront neighborhood since summer 2008. But now, the Portland Bureau of Housing says construction on The Tamarack will begin this summer.

Margaret Van Vliet, executive director of the housing bureau, said the Portland Development Commission, Mayor Sam Adams‘ office and her office were able to make the project pencil out during the city’s recent budget work.

“We were able to sharpen our pencils and make everything fit,” Van Vliet said. “It took a while but I believe we have a viable project today.”

The $49.8 million project will use a combination of tax-increment financing from the North Macadam Urban Renewal area, bond financing and tax credit equity from a 4 percent low income housing tax credit available through the state of Oregon. The project’s funding strategy still needs to be approved by Portland city council. That vote will take place in September.

Designed by Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, The Tamarack will be a six-story wood frame building with 209 apartments over ground floor retail and office space. The apartments will be available to families earning 60 percent of median family income, and 42 apartments will be reserved for veterans earning less than 30 percent of median family income.

Construction by general contractor Walsh Construction is anticipated to begin in November. Project developer Williams and Dame Development is currently seeking a nonprofit low income housing developer to be the long term owner and operator of The Tamarack.

urbanlife
May 27, 2010, 1:36 AM
That is some good news.

RoseCtyRoks
May 28, 2010, 9:05 AM
Group wants South Waterfront to ditch cars

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/05/27/group-wants-south-waterfront-to-ditch-cars/

POSTED: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Tags: South Waterfront, transportation management

More than 500 residents are expected to join the South Waterfront District in the next couple of years. The South Waterfront Transportation Management Association's goal will be to reduce residents' reliance on cars so that undeveloped land can be used for new projects instead of parking lots.

Several hundred new residents are expected soon in the South Waterfront District. Both the Mirabella and Matisse residential towers - offering a total of nearly 500 new units - are set to be completed this year. And work on The Tamarack, an affordable housing development with 209 units, is scheduled to wrap up in 2011.

The district may be able to accommodate such an influx of residents, but not necessarily so many motor vehicles. So, to avoid future development space being sacrificed for parking lots, regional government Metro last week approved funding to create a transportation management association to guide South Waterfront residents to car-free transportation options.

The South Waterfront TMA will include residents, developers and business owners in the neighborhood and will be supported by the Portland Bureau of Transportation, the Portland Development Commission, Metro and Oregon Health & Science University. Metro has committed $150,000 over the next three years, and that total will be matched by South Waterfront residents and businesses via condo association fees and private assistance.

A Lloyd District TMA formed in 1994 was instrumental in helping reduce the amount of single vehicle trips through employee transit pass programs and outreach to local employers. While 76 percent of Lloyd District employees drove to work alone in 1995, only 43 percent do so today, according to Rick Williams, executive director of the Lloyd TMA.

“When I started, the Lloyd District was geographically isolated between freeways,” Williams said. “All of the parking was free, so it was a parking lot for downtown. We understood that we couldn’t continue to do business when we’re building a parking stall for everyone who works here. That’s the same issue in South Waterfront.”

Leslie Poirer, executive director of South Waterfront Community Relations and a member of the South Waterfront TMA, already has heard from South Waterfront employees who feel there isn’t enough parking in their neighborhood.

A streetcar line runs through South Waterfront, but many people who work in the area rely on free and metered parking available in empty lots. She faced a challenging situation recently when an empty lot was being used for parking without a developer’s permission.

“People were parking boats and RVs there without permission,” Poirer said. “We encouraged the developer to turn it into paid parking, which is what it is now. This neighborhood is not built out, so there is perceived space that’s actually reserved for future development.”

A bigger problem for South Waterfront, Poirer added, is that many people don’t know how to reach the district by car.

However, developer and TMA member Dike Dame of Williams & Dame Development said constrained automobile access could help the association reach its goal of reducing the amount of vehicle miles traveled in the area by 30 percent before 2030.

“As the district grows it will be important that improvements be made to both south and north portals to accommodate additional traffic,” Dame said. “But it also presents an opportunity to show people how they can take advantage of other options for moving about, such as streetcar, bike lanes and walking paths.”

The Lloyd TMA was able to greatly reduce single vehicle trips by offering employers transit passes at reduced rates through a partnership with TriMet. With more residential users than work commuters in its district, the South Waterfront TMA will have to pursue a different strategy, Williams said.

“South Waterfront could be the first TMA to have such a heavy residential and commercial focus,” Williams said. “They could do residential pass programs and residential bike programs. They are dealing with reverse commute decisions. My job is to get people to the Lloyd District. Their job will be about commuting in and out.”

The South Waterfront TMA in its first year will offer brown-bag speaker series, transportation safety education and a quarterly meeting for new employees and new residents to learn about the district and transportation options. It also will advocate for a bike-sharing program, electric-vehicle charging stations and additional bike parking for the neighborhood.

Poirer said South Waterfront Community Relations has been developing relationships with residents since the area began to form several years ago. Those existing connections between residents will go a long way in helping the South Waterfront TMA meet its goals, she said.

“Our residents are already very involved with committees about dog parks and community gardens,” Poirer said. “I call them my urban pioneers. It’s a really committed group and I don’t think it will be difficult to get folks excited about this project.”

smendesPDX
May 28, 2010, 6:10 PM
I agree that they need to have a future plan to deal with traffic in the South Waterfront, however I think it is a little ambitious to think they they can persuade people to not use cars. It is a very inconvenient neighborhood to get to.... by car is really the only way I'de bother getting there. We should work with the reality of the situation and not try to do yet another social engineering project in this neighborhood.:koko:

RoseCtyRoks
May 28, 2010, 6:10 PM
Here's the latest Mirabella update, with good interior shots, including the pool area:

http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/portland/2010/052810.htm

Eco_jt
May 30, 2010, 10:56 PM
exciting good news for SoWa =)

From bikeportland.org (http://bikeportland.org/2010/05/27/south-waterfront-is-portlands-newest-tma/)

Last week, Metro Council approved funding for the South Waterfront Transportation Management Association (TMA). The new TMA will be funded to the tune of $300,000 (half from Metro, other half matched by neighborhood businesses and residents of the area) over three years and is set to begin work on July 1st. Other supporters of the new TMA are developers, the City of Portland, the Portland Development Commission, and Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU).

TMAs are non-profit, public/private partnerships funded through the federal government's CMAQ (Congestion Management/Air Quality) grant program and administered through Metro's Regional Travel Options program. The idea behind them is to increase awareness and promote the use of biking, walking, ridesharing, and taking transit. Or put more simply, discourage single-occupancy vehicle use.

This will be the sixth TMA in our region and the first one created since 2001. Other TMAs currently exist for the Lloyd District, Clackamas, Swan Island, Gresham, and Washington County.

In a statement about the new South Waterfront TMA, Portland Mayor Sam Adams said it will "help residents and businesses with transportation choices so congestion and pollution don’t jeopardize the potential of the district.”

According to Metro, the new TMA already has a list of projects it hopes to get started on. Among them are increasing bike parking (which a recent report showed can be good for neighborhoods and businesses) and working with the City and other stakeholders on the Milwaukie Light Rail and Lake Oswego Streetcar projects.

A recent survey of South Waterfront residents compiled by the City of Portland showed that 83% of respondents (86 people took the survey) make at least 3 trips into downtown (about two miles north) from their condos each week. Below are results from that survey when asked how they get there:

What is your primary mode utilized for accessing downtown & Central City?
(Notice that no one who took the survey rides a bike!)

http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sowaTMA.jpg

What is your secondary mode utilized to access downtown & Central City

http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sowaTMA2nd.jpg

If all goes well, the TMA hopes to decrease vehicle miles traveled in the district by 30% by 2030 (as per Portland's Climate Action Plan and myriad other city and regional plans). It will be interesting to see if those percentages in the charts above change after the TMA has been in operation a few years.

zilfondel
Jun 5, 2010, 8:44 AM
I agree that they need to have a future plan to deal with traffic in the South Waterfront, however I think it is a little ambitious to think they they can persuade people to not use cars. It is a very inconvenient neighborhood to get to.... by car is really the only way I'de bother getting there. We should work with the reality of the situation and not try to do yet another social engineering project in this neighborhood.:koko:

Huh. I've really only ever driven there once, and it is a pain.

Its a lot easier to bike, in my experience from living in SE Portland - just a quick trip over the Hawthorne, down riverfront park, and Moody. Probably takes the same amount of time, and there is of course no traffic to get stuck in.

However, for commuting purposes (in and out), the new Max line will surely help a lot. Too bad it will still have really poor access by transit from SW Portland.

I'm guessing that the reason no residents bicycle in SoWa would be demographics... how many rich old people do you see cruising around town on a Schwinn or a Trek? :P

Artist
Jun 8, 2010, 8:31 PM
I was pleased to read in the Art Committee's minutes that Mirabella will decorate the public spaces with original art created by local artists. Heidi McBride's gallery is involved with the selections. Kudos to Mirabella for supporting local art and artists.

dkealoha
Jun 11, 2010, 9:38 PM
THE PARK IS OPEN!!!

Just got this email:

At long last!!! The fences are down, and the park is open! Just in time for summer to finally arrive in Portland with 80 degree temps forecasted this weekend.

Contractor work to accomplish Final Completion of remaining punchlist items will be ongoing, and some minor inconveniences and short term closures of particular features and areas should be e from time to time during the next month or so.

The fence around the lawn and landform area will need to remain until approximately August 1st, at worst case, but will be taken down sooner if possible. Portland Parks & Recreation turf and horticultural staff can now take over and do their "green magic" to get it growing lush and strong and able to withstand all the foot traffic and community events that will occur there in the coming years. They have asked that no events be scheduled on the lawn until after August 1st.

August 19 is the date being targeted for the Grand Opening Event, and there is a neighborhood committee that has been meeting to plan a lovely event.

Thanks to everyone for all their assistance and patience with this project.

ENJOY!!!

Sandra Burtzos, RLA
Capital Project Manager III / Landscape Architect
Portland Parks & Recreation
1120 SW Fifth Ave, Ste 1302
Portland, OR 97204

tworivers
Jun 25, 2010, 7:41 AM
I took these shots tonight down in South Waterfront. I hadn't been down there in months, so it was nice to see the new park, Mirabella almost done (and looking good), and the fact that OHSU is renovating one of the warehouses on the west side of Moody into a child care center. I hope most of the warehouses get re-used because they add a little bit of anchoring to the overall vibe, which veers between sterile and merely unfinished. I'd also like to see the city emphasize (somehow) the importance of architectural diversity down there starting now, including the continued inclusion of differently-scaled developments a la the Matisse. Not that the Matisse doesn't have its problems --though the courtyard is nice-- but I appreciate that it diverges in form from the other projects. When I look at the three tallest towers all I can think is "damn, I wish they, and their inhabitants, were downtown".

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1007/4731979665_ffd37fefb9_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/4731979691_d3be8d76f2_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1059/4732623986_bc34b08ac3_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1068/4731979765_79e3ae2aa0_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1368/4731979623_ac384035de_b.jpg

PacificNW
Jun 25, 2010, 10:36 PM
Great pics...Tks.:cheers:

Artist
Jun 27, 2010, 1:28 AM
Beautiful pictures! Thanks, TwoRivers.

2oh1
Jun 27, 2010, 9:11 PM
OHSU is renovating one of the warehouses on the west side of Moody into a child care center. I hope most of the warehouses get re-used because they add a little bit of anchoring to the overall vibe, which veers between sterile and merely unfinished.

OH! So THAT'S what's going on there. I was curious when I saw what looked like the beginnings of some sort of construction. Thanks for the info!

RoseCtyRoks
Jul 3, 2010, 12:28 AM
The latest Mirabella update---Good lookin' tower, and love the garden terrace!

It will be nice to see people start to move in, not too long from now. You'll be getting lots of neighbors soon, SOWA. Great timing with the new park welcoming everyone in....

http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/portland/2010/062810.htm

Okstate
Jul 5, 2010, 3:09 PM
http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/07/02/south-waterfront-building-to-house-ice-unit/

South Waterfront building to expand to house ICE unit
POSTED: Friday, July 2, 2010 at 02:15 PM PT
BY: Nick Bjork
Tags: Lindquist Development Company, South Waterfront
GBD Architects of Portland has proposed this design for a 74,000-square-foot expansion of an office building at 4310 S.W. Macadam Ave. in Portland. The building will house the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement unit. (Photo by Dan Carter/DJC)

GBD Architects of Portland has proposed this design for a 74,000-square-foot expansion of an office building at 4310 S.W. Macadam Ave. in Portland. The building will house the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement unit. (Photo by Dan Carter/DJC)

A new, 13-year lease by the General Services Administration in the South Waterfront District has initiated the addition of 74,000 square feet to an office building on Southwest Macadam Avenue.

Representatives of Lindquist Development Company and GBD Architects met with the Portland Design Commission last week to get design advice on the addition to the 39,000-square-foot former Bank of America building. It will house the Department of Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement unit.

The three-story expansion will be attached to the north side of the existing four-story building at 4310 S.W. Macadam Ave. The addition will include 20,000 square feet of office space above two above-ground levels of enclosed parking totaling 46,000 square feet. There will also be 8,000 square feet of below-grade parking. The entire property will be surrounded by an 8-foot-high metal fence that has a security checkpoint, a guard house and a vehicle inspection site. That fence will be surrounded by another fence.

Ross Buffington, a GSA spokesman, said that, as a rule, contractors and subcontractors must navigate an extensive process to secure work on property owned by the federal government. But because the Macadam building is privately owned, that process will not be necessary, he said.

A lot of design work remains before construction can start, according to Keith Skille, GBD’s lead architect on the project. The addition is labeled a major expansion under design guidelines, so it will be required to meet Central City Fundamental Design Guidelines and South Waterfront Design Guidelines, he said.

Kara Fioravanti, land-use review specialist for the city’s Bureau of Development Services, said one challenge presented by both sets of guidelines is the required number of windows and amount of active space for the first floor of a commercial building. The Macadam building was formerly operated by a bank and consequently has a large vault on the first floor and no windows.

GBD Architects has proposed adding first-floor windows to the existing space and including a workout facility to accommodate both requirements; however, it is still working to add windows around the vaulted area, said Agustin Enriquez, an associate architect with the firm.

But probably the biggest issue on the site is that a proposed streetcar line to Lake Oswego is planned to run along Moody Street, which sits directly to the east of the building. The streetcar tracks, which are supposed to be completed within the next five years, will be built 12 feet higher than Moody is presently. Architects must meet street-level requirements for the building, even though it will eventually be underground.

“The dedication along Moody (Street) is the biggest challenge,” GBD’s Skille said. “How do you incorporate the street-level requirements to the initial design when the site will eventually be a basement?”

Another issue is accessibility. The only entrance to the facility right now is on Bancroft Street, which has only one lane for each direction. With more than 54,000 square feet of planned parking on the site, traffic could be heavy in mornings and evenings, especially with fast-moving traffic on Macadam Avenue, which runs perpendicular to Bancroft.

Jeff Stuhr, chairman of the Portland Design Commission, said he is concerned that Bancroft Street’s narrowness and fast-moving traffic on Macadam Avenue could hamper accessibility. He said GBD may want to fine-tune its plan for handling that portion of the project.

Stuhr added that he is excited to see such a sizable project in South Waterfront, and one backed by a long-term federal lease. He gave the design team a nod for the work it has done so far on the project.

“(Architects) have answered the question: ‘How do you take a building built in a past generation and atone for its sins?’ ” he said.

bvpcvm
Jul 5, 2010, 6:59 PM
The entire property will be surrounded by an 8-foot-high metal fence that has a security checkpoint, a guard house and a vehicle inspection site. That fence will be surrounded by another fence.

Awesome, that'll really add to the urban character of the area.

maccoinnich
Jul 5, 2010, 7:34 PM
Why would they be lifting Moody at that location? I understand that they're doing on the approach to the new TriMet bridge, but I'm pretty sure they're not doing anything much south of that...

Sioux612
Jul 5, 2010, 8:16 PM
This is the building, correct?

http://images.loopnet.com/xnet/mainsite/attachments/viewImage.aspx?FileGuid=1BA60D62-3B8D-4A7F-B3E6-B169B7AA933C&Extension=jpg&Width=631&Height=421

Okstate
Jul 6, 2010, 2:14 PM
^ Yes. That is she.

cab
Jul 6, 2010, 4:07 PM
What no Moat.

MarkDaMan
Jul 6, 2010, 4:56 PM
http://djcoregon.com/files/2010/07/0706_gsa_macadam_property_rendering_gbd-300x81.jpg

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/07/02/south-waterfront-building-to-house-ice-unit/

tworivers
Jul 7, 2010, 6:30 PM
Wondering what the current construction timeline is for this building.

I did find this article (http://www.dailyvanguard.com/life-science-collaborative-complex-brings-together-five-universites-1.2032343) from PSU's Vanguard from last October. It has the best rendering (http://www.dailyvanguard.com/polopoly_fs/1.2032347!/image/1979998454.jpg) I've seen yet.

Also found this recent Blumenauer request for appropriations (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CCIQFjACOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblumenauer.house.gov%2Fimages%2Fstories%2Fdocuments%2FApprops2011%2FLHHSE%2FOHSU%2C%2520OUS%2C%2520PSU%2C%2520Oregon%2520Translational%2520Research%2520-%2520OUS%2520OHSU%2520Life%2520Science%2520Collaboration%2520Complex%2520request%2520form.pdf&ei=psU0TMD_NdH_nAfS-YSIBA&usg=AFQjCNHhQQ1fWMFepYAEl25DlfUtgswQ2A&sig2=GWkzcKgUi4oKtPqXOSWgnA) for a mere 1.9 million. (He's also requesting 2 million for the Sustainability Center.)

This PDF (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ous.edu%2Fnews_and_information%2Fnews%2Ffiles%2FLifeScienceBrochurewebv2.pdf&ei=uMc0TKfkI-SxnAekws2OBA&usg=AFQjCNHob7cpWin-Y-P-ZY2VHsTJl_UqMQ&sig2=JhDfiukHB8IzU1gYeSkXPg) from a few years ago contains a very optimistic timeline for construction.

JoshYent
Jul 8, 2010, 4:47 AM
this is great news! it will definitely be an awesome addition to downtown!

dkealoha
Jul 8, 2010, 7:32 PM
Is this planned for the Schnitzer land?

Sioux612
Jul 8, 2010, 10:01 PM
An interesting view!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canuck01/4773424796/

tworivers
Jul 11, 2010, 5:26 AM
^^^Yes, Schnitzer land.

This article from today's O contains what seems to be good news:

Oregon State Board of Higher Education seeks more freedom and power for Oregon University System
Published: Friday, July 09, 2010
Bill Graves, The Oregonian

Oregon university leaders will ask the next governor and Legislature to change the Oregon University System from a state agency to a more independent structure, similar to a statewide community college district.

The State Board of Higher Education also voted Friday to join forces with Oregon Health & Science University to build a $160 million, 263,000-square-foot "life sciences collaborative complex" in Portland's South Waterfront development area. The complex, slated to open in 2013, will become home for the OHSU medical school and a research and education center shared by Oregon State University, Portland State University, the University of Oregon and a private business partner yet to be chosen.

Separately, the board voted during its meeting in Portland to ask the state for a 17 percent increase in funding for 2011-13 to help support a proposed $5 billion budget for the university system.

The life sciences complex project approved by the board will allow OHSU to expand its medical, dentistry, nursing and physician assistant schools. It also will make room for the OSU pharmacy, UO psychology and PSU biology and chemistry programs.

The building will include a 379-space parking floor, retail spaces and laboratory spaces for private company researchers. The university system will kick in $75 million in bond money, OHSU will contribute another $75 million, and TriMet will put up $10 million and build a transit station near the center. Project leaders also hope to raise an additional $40 million from a private partner.

-- Bill Graves

dkealoha
Jul 24, 2010, 5:43 PM
Lots of activity in the South Waterfront these days. Now that the park is open, there's always a game of bocce ball, soccer, or frisbee going on while people are laying on the "hill" tanning. It's really great seeing the neighborhood come alive after living here for 2 years in isolation! Also, the pedestrian walkway between Mirabella and John Ross is finally open so there is now a direct path from the park to the river!

Here's our view of some event going on down by OHSU today. Not sure what it is but it looked like there might be some kind of run/walk going on? Also I just noticed how tiny the Mirabella's shadow is in this picture next to the massive shadow of the John Ross. Pretty cool!

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/keal2312/IMG_6483.jpg