PDA

View Full Version : Regina International Airport

youngregina
Apr 29, 2007, 4:20 PM
Hello, do you think reginas airport should have a hotel or not? Why?

1ajs
Apr 29, 2007, 4:50 PM
winnipeg has one :P

CCF
Apr 29, 2007, 5:53 PM
We may be getting a direct flight to Salt Lake City soon.

1ajs
Apr 29, 2007, 6:08 PM
your guys airport is so tiny though

youngregina
Apr 29, 2007, 6:43 PM
For those of you who didn't want a hotel, Why?

Dalreg
Apr 29, 2007, 10:43 PM
Because it isn't really needed. Many options exist in Regina for hotels all of which are fairly close.

newflyer
Apr 29, 2007, 11:23 PM
Regina's airport is probably too small to support a hotel. Most people who stay at an airport hotel are there on an overnight business trip. Does Regina have the corportate base to support that type of hotel?

I think Regina would be much better off having guests stay downtown.

yeeg
Apr 30, 2007, 12:54 AM
Regina's airport is probably too small to support a hotel. Most people who stay at an airport hotel are there on an overnight business trip. Does Regina have the corportate base to support that type of hotel?

Agreed, if people start staying at the airport hotel, there would be much less business DT...Plus, I dont think YQR has enough long distance traffic to warrant a hotel...Most flights are to neighbouring provinces but correct me if I am wrong...

A4Regina
Apr 30, 2007, 2:58 AM
Even though a hotel at the airport would be nice, i'd rather have a 15-20 storey high rise hotel downtown...

youngregina
Jan 27, 2008, 6:01 PM
Does anyone know how many passengers we had travel through our airport in 2007??

mbeaumont
Jan 28, 2008, 3:51 PM
No, the only flight west of Manitoba is Toronto, Saskatoon just got a Montreal/Ottawa flight though which is nice, don't know how long it'll last though

ILYR
Jan 28, 2008, 8:11 PM
No, the only flight west of Manitoba is Toronto, Saskatoon just got a Montreal/Ottawa flight though which is nice, don't know how long it'll last though

Thats a long flight to Toronto going west.:yes:

FFX-ME
Jan 28, 2008, 8:19 PM
Thats a long flight to Toronto going west.:yes:

hahahaha:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: I didnt even notice, how embarrassing, wow, lol

AuxTown
Jan 28, 2008, 10:04 PM
Regina's airport does not need a hotel. The reason people stay in airport hotels is because it is too long a distance or traffic is terrible getting from there to downtown. In Regina, you can drive downtown from the airport in a matter of minutes, thus, no need for a hotel. Regina is a perfect, compact little city that is amazingly easy to get around and traffic is almost non-existent.

yorktonite
Jan 28, 2008, 10:26 PM
Regina's airport does not need a hotel. The reason people stay in airport hotels is because it is too long a distance or traffic is terrible getting from there to downtown. In Regina, you can drive downtown from the airport in a matter of minutes, thus, no need for a hotel. Regina is a perfect, compact little city that is amazingly easy to get around and traffic is almost non-existent.

Thanks, you saved me from typing.

newflyer
Jan 29, 2008, 1:27 AM

... and we are getting a second one soon. :cool:

The airport hotel utility is also influenced by the type of business being conducted. There are many busineses not located downtown, such as transportation & distribution, manufacturing, light industrial among others... who don't nesessarily want or need to stay downtown. These types of hotels also often offer confernce and meeting places for business travelers... and really don't cater to leisure travelers or tourists.

It really comes down to the city's size and economic makeup.

SmileyBoy
Jan 29, 2008, 2:44 AM
If Fargo-Moorhead's international airport won't be getting one anytime soon, I don't see why Regina's airport would have one, considering both cities are quite similar in size and have similar airport size and traffic.

flatlander
Jan 29, 2008, 3:59 AM

Let the market decide.

newflyer
Jan 29, 2008, 4:05 AM
Let the market decide.

I believe it has..... although the thread is created for conversation.

ILYR
Jan 29, 2008, 6:34 AM
Does anyone know how many passengers we had travel through our airport in 2007??

I can't seem to find numbers for 2007, but here are the numbers of passengers for 2005 and 2006, of which 2006 was a record year, 826,506 and 871,416.

BrannyMuffin
Jan 29, 2008, 8:35 AM
Just because I was curious...

YQR has direct flights to the following destinations: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Toronto, Minneapolis, Mexico and the Caribbean.

According to their winter newsletter, they are still in talks about the direct flight to SLC. Any idea whatever happened to the flights to Vegas that they were looking into? It sounds like they pretty much had everything in place when Canadian customs decided that they couldn't have people at the airport for a 5 a.m. arrival time. This article I found from August says that they were going to make representations to politicians to have a review of the situation.

As of the end of July, passenger traffic was up about 12% over 2006. Assuming that number stayed relatively constant, you're looking at about 976,000 passengers for 2007 but they were expecting it would be between 865,000 and 905,000.

Here's the article, in case anyone wants to read it.
The Regina International Airport is on its way to setting a record for passenger traffic.

To the end of July, 556,483 passengers had gone through the airport, compared with 496,277 in the first seven months of 2006 -- an increase of about 12 per cent.

In July alone, traffic was up 15.1 per cent over 2006 -- 86,086 compared with 74,791. That marked a one-month record for the Regina International Airport.

"This increase is an indication both of the positive economic times Saskatchewan has been enjoying and the level of service provided by our airline partners," Regina Airport Authority interim CEO Ray Boughen said in a news release issued Tuesday.

"When the economy is strong, air travel is an important part of that strength for business and for tourism."

If current trends continue, then the Regina airport expects to see between 865,000 and 905,000 passengers board or leave aircraft here this year, he added in an interview.

That means the airport could break last year's record of 871,416 passengers.

And 2006 itself showed a sharp increase from 2005, when more than 826,000 passengers went through the terminal building.

In addition to a healthy economy, Boughen said the surge illustrates how the cost of air travel becomes more attractive when the total cost of ground transportation -- gasoline, accommodation, vehicle rental and food -- is considered.

"When you add it up, air travel -- within one day to anywhere in the planet -- starts to add up," he said.

In search of additional flights, Boughen said he and airport staff earlier this month met with Atlanta-based Delta Airlines about getting scheduled flights to Regina from Delta's regional hub in Salt Lake City, from which connections could be made all over the western U.S.

Though no decision was made by the airline, a return visit by Delta managers is expected soon.

"Negotiations are ongoing with them and we have the feeling that we're gaining some ground," Boughen said.

Talks have also been held with WestJet about direct flights from Regina to Toronto and Vancouver.

"We're on their radar, " Boughen said, "but we haven't got anything in place that we can make an announcement about."

Not all the news was good, though.

Boughen said the airport authority had worked with WestJet to get two weekly flights to Las Vegas, only to be told by Canadian customs officials that having personnel at the airport for their 5 a.m. return time was not possible.

"We were working together with (WestJet officials) on it, we got them in place and then Customs pulled the rug out from under us," he said, adding that representations to politicians will be made in order to seek a review of this.

Credit: Leader-Post

Also found this in the Jan. 11 L-P:
Other improvements -- such as better service to Vancouver or establishing a Regina-to-Las Vegas flight -- could be considered in the future, Pugliese said.

youngregina
Jan 30, 2008, 5:25 AM
Well, i though west jet was proposing to pay for the border person so they could have the vegas flights.

Markus41
Feb 28, 2008, 7:06 PM

Winnipeg is much bigger populationwise and has a higher passenger load. Plus, it plays a more significant role nationally than Regina does.

Regina is just too small, for now. With growth, things may change.

newreg
Apr 3, 2008, 5:51 PM
No, but I think there should be some public transit service to downtown directly.

newflyer
Apr 5, 2008, 6:33 AM
No, but I think there should be some public transit service to downtown directly.

I would agree with you, but I am sure the taxi association would argue against it.

caveat.doctor
Apr 5, 2008, 9:56 PM

This month's WestJet inflight magazine actually has an article about public transit from airports - Saving Green (http://www.up-magazine.com/magazine/features/Saving_Green.shtml). Almost all of Canada's city airports (at least, the major ones WestJet goes to) have public transit access: Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, London, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2032/2193113835_96f29a1c83_o.gif (http://www.flickr.com/photos/caveatdoctor/2193113835)

Airport service on Regina Transit (above) would mean adding a detour spur off an already-long winding loop. It would probably annoy more passengers than it would serve by adding an airport run, since the routes are so long and circuitous as they are right now. Even service to the Centre of the Arts and Science Centre is on-demand only (you have to ask the driver to go there; and then call Transit to get picked up), because it's out of the (12) loop towards the SE.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/2193113837_51b4bf56f5_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/caveatdoctor/2193113837)

A grid system (like the mock one above) would make it really simple and easy to add these destinations, since they naturally come at the end of arterial roads, without inconveniencing anyone with a detour. The Regina Development Plan (http://www.regina.ca/pdfs/Part-A-policy-plan.pdf), however, requires

6.10 Public Transit
a) That the public transit system shall be oriented around service to the downtown.

instead of promoting transit as a viable replacement for traffic in general, no matter where you want to go in the city - like the airport, Centre of the Arts, Science Centre... and yes, suburban commercial too.

ILYR
Apr 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
This month's WestJet inflight magazine actually has an article about public transit from airports - Saving Green (http://www.up-magazine.com/magazine/features/Saving_Green.shtml). Almost all of Canada's city airports (at least, the major ones WestJet goes to) have public transit access: Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, London, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax.

Edmonton and Halifax international do not have public transit access.

caveat.doctor
Apr 5, 2008, 10:04 PM
Edmonton international does not have public transit access.

I stand corrected - Up! just mentions the shuttle service. They're in communities outside the city limits, so no transit.

Regina Airport however, is so close and would be really easy to add, if Regina Transit de-emphasised downtown and the circuitous routes, and concentrated more on providing service to the city as a whole.

bugsy
Oct 31, 2008, 1:57 AM
Where is downtown Regina? And is there something I can take directly to the Market Square area?

Prairie Guy
Nov 14, 2008, 5:14 AM
So I was checking out Regina's airport website, and noticed that there are no longer any flights between Regina and Salt Lake City. When did they cancel this line?

drew
Nov 14, 2008, 6:13 AM
According to their winter newsletter, they are still in talks about the direct flight to SLC. Any idea whatever happened to the flights to Vegas that they were looking into? It sounds like they pretty much had everything in place when Canadian customs decided that they couldn't have people at the airport for a 5 a.m. arrival time.

That's interesting. I have taken the Westjet Winnipeg/Vegas trip twice in the last year. You get back into Winnipeg at the ungodly hour of around 4:30am.

They have about 3 Canadian Customs agents there to check the passengers through. They look none too happy about it though.

mjpaul
Dec 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
is Regina going to hit 1,000,000 passengers this year?

PG
There was never direct flights to Salt Lake City from Regina

mjpaul
Dec 18, 2008, 3:58 AM
Westjet announces new Vancouver - Regina direct flight (starts May 3, 2009)

good news

http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi?rkey=1612172556&view=87295-2&Start=0

mjpaul
Dec 23, 2008, 4:52 AM
is Regina going to hit 1,000,000 passengers this year?

December 22nd, 2008
Regina International Airport Serves Over 1,000,000

pdf file from yqr (http://yqr.ca/images/stories/1_million_pax_news_release_v2.pdf)

:tup:

mjpaul
Jan 17, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hello, do you think reginas airport should have a hotel or not? Why?

Yes, an airport is warranted. My family in the Assiniboia area has visitors from USA and Germany on a regular basis and they always have early morning departure..They end up staying on South Albert but they would prefer to stay at the airport.

also Pilots and flightcrew who overnight would prefer to stay at the airport.

I am sure we will see an airport Hotel in the near future...even a hotel at the North side of Harbor Landing would be good...maybe near YQR entry....but people prefer a hotel connected to airport.

Southwest Regina will look radically different 2 years from now...so i believe an opportunity awaits...

Wish i were rich

Only The Lonely..
Jan 17, 2009, 1:56 AM
It could be a good thing..

I wouldn't say its impossible to have an airport hotel.

It really depends on whether or not you think it is in the best interest of Regina to have such a facility?

You have to remember, that Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, etc, etc are many times bigger than the Queen City.

I would think the other forumers are right that you would be better served having that traffic downtown.

Build a new downtown hotel!!!

newflyer
Jan 18, 2009, 4:10 PM
Where is downtown Regina? And is there something I can take directly to the Market Square area?

Downtown Regina is generally accepted to be: South of the CP main line, West of Broad Street, East of Albert Street and North of College, although most density is from Victoria Ave and North to the tracks. Its a 5 minute drive from the airport.

Many transit routes go through downtown .. ussually 11th and 12th ave. Which makes it easy access to market square.

I don't believe there is a bus linking the city to the airport, so you'd have to rent a car or take a cab.

mjpaul
Jan 19, 2009, 12:16 AM
Downtown Regina is generally accepted to be: South of the CP main line, West of Broad Street, East of Albert Street and North of College, although most density is from Victoria Ave and North to the tracks. Its a 5 minute drive from the airport.

Many transit routes go through downtown .. ussually 11th and 12th ave. Which makes it easy access to market square.

I don't believe there is a bus linking the city to the airport, so you'd have to rent a car or take a cab.

There isnt a bus,

I cant understand why there is no Bus going to the airport..This is a Capital City?

there already is a bus going straight down Regina Ave and coming within a few blocks of the airport...why not extend the run for a few more blocks.? :shrug:

or

modify transit routes.. :koko:

why not get this done? If Saskatoon can have public transit to their airport ...why not Regina?

Saskatoon is so pro -active and always aims high...Regina seems to prefer a 1970s status quo and always aim low....although Regina is starting to wake up.

madsad
Jan 22, 2009, 8:37 PM
There isnt a bus,

I cant understand why there is no Bus going to the airport..This is a Capital City?

reginatransitreview@regina.ca

http://regina.ca/Page3132.aspx

mjpaul
Mar 18, 2009, 2:33 AM
sweet we get a 2 daily flights to Denver...good news

but get this...

Denver airport is bigger then the City of Regina..

no, you are not drunk.you are reading correctly...

from wiki;
Denver International Airport (IATA: DEN, ICAO: KDEN, FAA LID: DEN), often called DIA, is, by land size at 53 square miles (140 km2), the largest international airport in the United States, and the second largest international airport in the world after only King Fahd International Airport[2]. Runway 16R/34L is the longest public use runway in the United States.

City of Regina is 118.87 km2 (45.9 sq mi)... :banaride:

With the addition of GTH and Harbor Landing maybe we can overtake the Denver Airport..

thats a bit hard to comprehend for us small town prairie folk ;)

babo
Mar 19, 2009, 1:28 PM
Ixnay the hotel and bus service. Put in a monorail that connects the airport to downtown with stops at Taylor Field and whatever the Agridome is called these days.