PDA

View Full Version : OT: The New Rules for Driving in Calgary.

Pages : [1] 2

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 3:49 PM
THE NEW RULES FOR DRIVING IN CALGARY :

1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, it is: "CAL-GREE".

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 8:00pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 130 kph. On Deerfoot, you are expected to match the speed of the airplanes coming in for a landing at the airport. Anything less is considered "Wussy".

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Calgary now has its own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, Hamptons , SUV-driving, cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous in Calgary . Detour barrels are moved around during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting, but nothing ever gets finished, and more construction starts everyday.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, skunks, dogs, cats, deer, barrels, cones, cows, horses, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, garbage, squirrels, rabbits, crows, and coyotes feeding on any of these items.

9. 16 th Ave, TransCanada, and "Hwy #1" are the same road.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated."

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 110 in a 80-90 kph zone, you are considered a road hazard and will be "flipped off" accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For winter driving, it is advisable to wear your parka, toque, fur lined mittens and mukluks. Make sure you have a shovel, food, candle and blankets in the vehicle, as snow removal from the city streets is virtually non-existent until the spring thaw.

Most of these you can just replace Calgary with Edmonton... or other various city.... lol

Champion3
Apr 24, 2007, 5:03 PM
How about:
1. Yield signs are actually merges; and
2. Merge signs are actually yields.

You Need A Thneed
Apr 24, 2007, 5:14 PM
How about:
2. Merge signs are actually yields.

I can't think of anywhere where this is the case. The other way around, yes.

Bigtime
Apr 24, 2007, 5:23 PM
I can't think of anywhere where this is the case. The other way around, yes.

Really? I've lost track of the amount of times some dumbass yields getting onto the deerfoot in the merge lane!

Or yields coming off of southbound deerfoot onto westbound memorial, when it is a BLOODY FREE FLOW LANE!!:hell:

I think we need mandatory re-testing of drivers licenses every 5 years, and make it for everyone!

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 5:41 PM
Oh you guys have morons that don't understand freeflow down there too?! My god. Big pet peeves...
People who can't merge, people who stop when merging, people who try to merge 20-40 under the limit, people who dont know what "free flow" means... People who use the regular lane to de-accelerate/brake (rather then the off ramp or exit lane). People who use the fast lane to poke along under the speed limit... (I better stop before this turns into a full out rant)

Me&You
Apr 24, 2007, 5:53 PM
Oh you guys have morons that don't understand freeflow down there too?! My god. Big pet peeves...
People who can't merge, people who stop when merging, people who try to merge 20-40 under the limit, people who dont know what "free flow" means... People who use the regular lane to de-accelerate/brake (rather then the off ramp or exit lane). People who use the fast lane to poke along under the speed limit... (I better stop before this turns into a full out rant)

Yep, we've got plenty of "them".

At least on the Whitemud, you guys have proper free-flow/weave lanes!

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 6:07 PM
Yep, we've got plenty of "them".

At least on the Whitemud, you guys have proper free-flow/weave lanes!
we do?
Please study 149st/122st on the whitemud. Especially look how the fox drive / tewillegar interchanges interact... If you are heading downtown from the rich areas of the SW (tewillegar) you have to merge into the left lane, cut across the right lane, and on to the off ramp in about 30 seconds... and visa versa for coming home..

The rest of the whitemud works though...

guymez
Apr 24, 2007, 6:07 PM
Really? I've lost track of the amount of times some dumbass yields getting onto the deerfoot in the merge lane!

Or yields coming off of southbound deerfoot onto westbound memorial, when it is a BLOODY FREE FLOW LANE!!:hell:

I think we need mandatory re-testing of drivers licenses every 5 years, and make it for everyone!

Couldn't agree more. Although, I wish I had a dollar for everytime I tried to merge onto the Deerfoot only to have some driver (who is either just clueless or just being a jerkoff) who doesn't make an effort to open up a space. I have actually been flipped off (when trying to merge) by people who don't seem to understand that they are actually part of the merge process.

Lyle
Apr 24, 2007, 6:51 PM
Odd -- in California, you often have traffic control lights for each freeway on-ramp in urban areas. A red light holds you back for roughly two seconds per vehicle as a way (I believe) of limiting congestion at bottlenecks.

IntotheWest
Apr 24, 2007, 6:58 PM
Point #8...we once encountered an Elk travelling down Bow Trail towards downtown AGAINST the traffic (this was around those new condo towers going up). Hard to miss something that large. Kinda odd he made it that far into the city.

Me&You
Apr 24, 2007, 7:05 PM
Point #8...we once encountered an Elk travelling down Bow Trail towards downtown AGAINST the traffic (this was around those new condo towers going up). Hard to miss something that large. Kinda odd he made it that far into the city.

Not strange at all; Edworthy and Shag are right there. I've seen plenty of animals that far or further in. It's still shocking initially, everytime I see them, but it does happen and with relative regularity.

Champion3
Apr 24, 2007, 7:10 PM
Yeah people treat freeflows as yields or merges all the time.

freeweed
Apr 24, 2007, 7:21 PM
3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 130 kph. On Deerfoot, you are expected to match the speed of the airplanes coming in for a landing at the airport. Anything less is considered "Wussy".

This one I find funny. Maybe I just never drive when everyone's in a hurry, but I find the Deerfoot is a parking lot during "rush" hour, and every other time... let's just say I'd eat my hat if anyone actually went 130. Maybe at 2am when I'm asleep.

I pretty much always trundle along at 110 (10 over is my built-in limit) in the passing lane, and maybe once in a 20km stretch do I have anyone even approach from behind. Most of the time I'm FLYING by other vehicles, at least a 10-20 km/hr difference. Sometimes as much as 30-40 compared to the rightmost lane.

I guess if 110 is "fast and scary" for you (ie: you've never actually driven a freeway in your life), then the Deerfoot feels like that quote. Otherwise, it's actually pretty darn slow.

DizzyEdge
Apr 24, 2007, 7:38 PM
Odd -- in California, you often have traffic control lights for each freeway on-ramp in urban areas. A red light holds you back for roughly two seconds per vehicle as a way (I believe) of limiting congestion at bottlenecks.

Saw that in Denver too.

Bigtime
Apr 24, 2007, 7:44 PM
I guess if 110 is "fast and scary" for you (ie: you've never actually driven a freeway in your life), then the Deerfoot feels like that quote. Otherwise, it's actually pretty darn slow.

Damn straight man. Autobahn doing 180km/h, now that is getting around fast! :tup:

And we really need to re-educate people on the 4-way stop procedures. So many times I've come across people that have no concept of giving way to the person on the right rule for arriving at the same time! MORONS, and then you end up with the finger or dirty look.

I can safely say here that I am an awesome driver and have never done any of this stupid shit in my driving time. No accidents, and only a few close calls that was me reacting to someone else messing up. Yet day after day I'm forced to drive around these people that don't give you space to merge, yield when they are supposed to...etc etc etc. Thank god the weather is warm enough that I can start biking to work again. :cheers:

93JC
Apr 24, 2007, 8:15 PM
THE NEW RULES FOR DRIVING IN CALGARY :

1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, it is: "CAL-GREE".

:stunned:

'kal.gÉ™.ri

:gtfo2:

(:D)

entheosfog
Apr 24, 2007, 8:47 PM
Not strange at all; Edworthy and Shag are right there. I've seen plenty of animals that far or further in. It's still shocking initially, everytime I see them, but it does happen and with relative regularity.

I encountered a run-away cow coming towards me on the off-ramp from Glenmore onto Blackfoot...not much you can do except get the hell outta his way!

entheosfog
Apr 24, 2007, 8:49 PM
...how about when people treat yields as merges and cut you off when you're going 80km/h and they're now going like 20km/h in front of you? That's not too nice...

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 8:52 PM
...how about when people treat yields as merges and cut you off when you're going 80km/h and they're now going like 20km/h in front of you? That's not too nice...

That usually gets a long horn and big middle finger of appreciation from me

Rusty van Reddick
Apr 24, 2007, 8:57 PM
Don't flame me, please. I've had a license for 26 years and have never been in an accident; I've only ever had parking tickets, and I have no idea what a "freeflow lane" is. Please explain.

frinkprof
Apr 24, 2007, 8:59 PM
Yeah, not really that strange considering how close it is to the river.

I find the most aggrevating encounters with other drivers in parking lots. Both as a driver and a pedestrian. Especially some of the parking lots with fucked-up designs.

guymez
Apr 24, 2007, 8:59 PM
Don't flame me, please. I've had a license for 26 years and have never been in an accident; I've only ever had parking tickets, and I have no idea what a "freeflow lane" is. Please explain.

I see it as a lane continuation from 2 adjoining roads. No yielding or merging necessary....just keep driving.

frinkprof
Apr 24, 2007, 9:03 PM
A lane, or set of lanes really, which is supposed to allow vehicles to weave in or out of them without stopping. Usually only slowing down to exit off the "freeway" or speeding up to weave into an ajacent lane to continue on the freeway. Basically Deerfoot is supposed to be a freeway, but if people don't know how to merge, there is heavy construction or lane closures, or there is a major collision (usually at least once a week) it ceases to be a freeway.

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 9:05 PM

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8042/w4314afe45abm1.png

mersar
Apr 24, 2007, 9:18 PM
Don't even get me started on the freeflow lanes. I nearly hit one guy a few years back coming off one of the exits onto Deerfoot south, as the guy in front of me had *stopped* to merge into the main lanes of traffic despite the fact he was in a freeflow lane. And to make matters worse, he stopped right as the ramp and deerfoot joined, so you had no choice but to slam on your brakes and hope you were able to stop on time.

Riise
Apr 24, 2007, 9:19 PM

OMG, you've hit the nail on the head! What do most driver's in this city think the merge lanes are there for? If the traffic planners wanted you to speed up to freeway speed only once you are on the freeway itself, then I don't think they would have put a couple hundred metres of usually straight asphalt right beside the freeway. I've been discussing the mandatory re-testing od drivers with my dad for quite some time know, I'm positive that over 50% of currently licensed drivers would fail a pop-quiz/exam if they were randomly pulled over and tested. I don't know what's worse in this city, the amount of drunk or plain crappy drivers.

This one I find funny. Maybe I just never drive when everyone's in a hurry, but I find the Deerfoot is a parking lot during "rush" hour, and every other time... let's just say I'd eat my hat if anyone actually went 130. Maybe at 2am when I'm asleep.

When you obviously haven't seen me on Deerfoot... You are correct, though, compared to drivers in other cities Calgarians are pretty slow drivers, or at least speed limit abiding ones.

bigcanuck
Apr 24, 2007, 9:19 PM
Freeflow example - if you take Bow Trail west out of downtown and loop onto Crowchild Trail going North or South, you'll get your own lane on Crowchild. This is freeflow.

korzym
Apr 24, 2007, 9:21 PM
Yeah things can get pretty hectic out there..

The other day I was going the speed limit in the middle lane and some guy was tail gating me, finally he got a chance to get ahead and the extends his arm out the window and throws somekind of canister high into the air..goes from the left side driver side over to the RIGHT lane nearly hitting a car.

This is why I'm buying two camcorders off ebay with remote control activation, and I'm handing the DVD in to the police if crap like that ever happens again. If someone is driving aggressively or tailgating me I'm going to hit record and legally IMO I'm covered. So think twice people, be legal and safe out there. You want to race go to a track, the roads are for transport and not fun.

guymez
Apr 24, 2007, 9:22 PM
Freeflow example - if you take Bow Trail west out of downtown and loop onto Crowchild Trail going North or South, you'll get your own lane on Crowchild. This is freeflow.

Exactly. I think some people confuse freeflow lanes with merge lanes.
Not the same thing.

entheosfog
Apr 24, 2007, 9:25 PM
That usually gets a long horn and big middle finger of appreciation from me

Not enough people use their horn in this city. It's there for a reason people! I feel like I've done something illegal when I give someone even a little toot of the horn...

Champion3
Apr 24, 2007, 9:27 PM
There are some disasterous ramps that don't help with the yield vs. merge situation. The chute that dumps traffic from Barlow/Peigan onto northbound Deerfoot comes to mind. Thankfully the province is going to be doing some work on that area soon...

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 9:32 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3907/merge14b915ceio2.jpg

Rusty van Reddick
Apr 24, 2007, 9:37 PM
OK, but that "freeflow lane" might turn into an exit only lane- I know that when I get on crowchild at 24th Ave, I had better move over one lane ASAP or I am going to be stuck there when it becomes exit-only at bow trail with too much traffic on my left to do anything about it. I exit at 17th Ave.

Rusty van Reddick
Apr 24, 2007, 9:39 PM
I have to add that having learned to drive on the Borman and Kennedy in Chicago and suffering years on the 401 in Toronto and GODDAMNED Allen Road "exrpressway," where every asshole in town thinks they can cut you off when you turn onto Eglinton, I find Calgary to be a walk in the park. I think it's one of the easiest cities to drive in, in fact.

entheosfog
Apr 24, 2007, 9:54 PM
There are some disasterous ramps that don't help with the yield vs. merge situation. The chute that dumps traffic from Barlow/Peigan onto northbound Deerfoot comes to mind. Thankfully the province is going to be doing some work on that area soon...

Same with the yield from 17th Ave SW onto Crowchild north...why is that not a merge??

LordMandeep
Apr 24, 2007, 9:58 PM
agrees ^^^

I never understood why couldn't they make left lanes especially on three lane roads more to left and on the other side as well, so that you can see oncoming traffic clearly. Meaning seperate the left turn lane by a small space from the rest of the traffic. When its full rush hour, i just wait till its for sure clear or it is red. Its even a risk at red because morons like to cross reds. I have just seen to many of these accidents to risk it anymore. You really have less then a second to react if you make a left and there is actually a car coming.

Really i think the situation above imo is really a way even good drivers can get into an accident.

entheosfog
Apr 24, 2007, 9:59 PM
I find Calgary to be a walk in the park. I think it's one of the easiest cities to drive in, in fact.

Agreed...

lubicon
Apr 24, 2007, 10:01 PM
OK, but that "freeflow lane" might turn into an exit only lane- I know that when I get on crowchild at 24th Ave, I had better move over one lane ASAP or I am going to be stuck there when it becomes exit-only at bow trail with too much traffic on my left to do anything about it. I exit at 17th Ave.

Crowchild is a bit of a goat fuck when it crosses over the river both northbound and southbound. Going north there are 2 lanes that cross the river but the right lane is to exit onto Memorial so. The left lane then becomes the right lane after that and the onramp from Bow Trail West becomes the new left lane. Then when you cross Memorial another lane is added on the right so you are now in the centre lane until the left lane exits onto University Drive. So you go from the left lane to the right lane to the centre lane and back to the left lane in about a 2km stretch, and all without switching lanes.

I'll agree that we really don't have a clue how to drive on a 'big road' up here. I've driven in Dallas, Houston etc and find their freeways much easier to navigate and people know how to drive them, or maybe the on and offramps are jsut designed better.

Anectodal story. My Aunt & Uncle took their motorhome on a 3 month trip from Calgary and travelled east to Ontario, down the Eastern seabord (NYC, Washington etc) to Florida, then across the bottom of the US to Texas and back up to Calgary. The last thing that happend as they left Calgary was they got cut off by some moron who didn't know how to merge on Deerfoot. It didn't happen for another 3 months until they got back to Calgary where some moron cut them off trying to merge on the first onramp they came upon along Deerfoot. Probably the same guy.

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 10:17 PM
agrees ^^^

I never understood why couldn't they make left lanes especially on three lane roads more to left and on the other side as well, so that you can see oncoming traffic clearly. Meaning seperate the left turn lane by a small space from the rest of the traffic. When its full rush hour, i just wait till its for sure clear or it is red. Its even a risk at red because morons like to cross reds. I have just seen to many of these accidents to risk it anymore. You really have less then a second to react if you make a left and there is actually a car coming.

Really i think the situation above imo is really a way even good drivers can get into an accident.

They have seperated left turn lanes all over Edmonton here - some single some dual left turn lanes...
I figured this was common all over the place
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/434/leftturnwg1.jpg

LordMandeep
Apr 24, 2007, 10:28 PM
that is true for very big intersections, but there are still places that suffer that problem...

feepa
Apr 24, 2007, 10:36 PM
that is true for very big intersections, but there are still places that suffer that problem...

well - theres plently of 'smaller' intersections that have this as well - not easy to show with google maps though...

Alot of "older" intersections don't have this feature though - I guess thats one of the good things about being in a "newer" city.

(By newer I meant for the most part, constructed during the automobile age...)

Champion3
Apr 25, 2007, 3:29 AM
How about those people who all intersections with advanced left turns as dual-lane?

mersar
Apr 25, 2007, 3:34 AM
What @ Champion3?

As for the seperated left turn lanes, most newer intersections tend to have them, and even those that just had dedicated left turn lanes are fine by me. What I wish would be removed are the handful of intersections with *no* left turn lane (Centre St. N onto 16th Ave NW for instance) in which if one person wants to turn and doesn't make it before the opposing side gets the green, you've got a mess of people cutting everyone else off to try to make it through the green in the right lane.

You Need A Thneed
Apr 25, 2007, 4:12 AM
Hmmm, I think I must have had a brain fart. I see people stopping in merge lanes all the time. Sometimes, I wish I had a bag full of hammers - to throw at their cars.

The places that I alwasy think of where there are "yield" signs posted, but everyone merges are the cloverleaf ramps from 16th Ave Eastbound onto 36th and 52nd Northbound. Almost no one ever stops and yields there. I never even look at what traffic is coming before i pull into the lane, and then merge over.

KrisYYC
Apr 25, 2007, 6:24 AM
I've been in Calgary my whole life, and driving was a breeze in this city until every yahoo from every crappy town all over Canada decided to move here to make a quick buck. They have no idea how a freeway works, they are inconsiderate (if you let somebody in and they don't wave they are NOT originally from Calgary). Of course driving becomes more difficult as volume increases, but in my opinion it's not just the extra volume that's causing problems. Outside of major centres I think Canadians are some of the most clueless drivers in the industrialized world.

Kris

/rant

jeffwhit
Apr 25, 2007, 8:41 AM
bah,

Try driving in Saskatoon for a while. Everyone there learned to drive on an wheat field and it shows.

freeweed
Apr 25, 2007, 1:51 PM
Hmmm, I think I must have had a brain fart. I see people stopping in merge lanes all the time. Sometimes, I wish I had a bag full of hammers - to throw at their cars.

The places that I alwasy think of where there are "yield" signs posted, but everyone merges are the cloverleaf ramps from 16th Ave Eastbound onto 36th and 52nd Northbound. Almost no one ever stops and yields there. I never even look at what traffic is coming before i pull into the lane, and then merge over.

Yeah, one of the worst for me is going north on Crowchild just before crossing the river. That lane that comes up from (11th? 12th?) and is supposed to be a yield - damn near every car just plows on throughn without looking. I've nearly been sideswiped a dozen times or more in the past year. It's so bad that I always want a passenger who can look over for me - and have avoided more than one accident thanks to their warning.

It's especially bad coming home after a Flames game - the added alcohol means EVERYONE seems to ignore road signs. :hell:

RAFS
Apr 25, 2007, 2:48 PM
Try 205 on the Autobahn, and still getting passed! That's fast! Stupid rental car just wouldn't go any faster!!!! Anyhow, every single person in Canada should be forced to drive in Europe for a few weeks. That would teach them (especially those who insist on driving in the left lane). I've always said that in Europe (and even the US), they gear their highways to move people around efficiently. In Canada, it is the exact opposite. Why is there even one traffic light on the Trans Canada? WHY? And those European rules that prohibit semis on the highways on the weekends (unless you have a special permit), or fines for staying in the left lane, or fines for semi's passing cars, make driving there even more wonderful. We sure could learn a thing or two.

Calgary driving used to be great, I agree. When we moved there in '92, driving around Cowtown was like heaven. When we left in '05, it had turned to hell. And it ain't gettin' any better!

Man, I'm bitchy today.........

DizzyEdge
Apr 25, 2007, 2:53 PM
Try 205 on the Autobahn, and still getting passed! That's fast! Stupid rental car just wouldn't go any faster!!!! Anyhow, every single person in Canada should be forced to drive in Europe for a few weeks. That would teach them (especially those who insist on driving in the left lane). I've always said that in Europe (and even the US), they gear their highways to move people around efficiently. In Canada, it is the exact opposite. Why is there even one traffic light on the Trans Canada? WHY? And those European rules that prohibit semis on the highways on the weekends (unless you have a special permit), or fines for staying in the left lane, or fines for semi's passing cars, make driving there even more wonderful. We sure could learn a thing or two.

Calgary driving used to be great, I agree. When we moved there in '92, driving around Cowtown was like heaven. When we left in '05, it had turned to hell. And it ain't gettin' any better!

Man, I'm bitchy today.........

I don't know why the city didn't route the transcanada to go the Mcknight/John Laurie route instead of 16th ave back in the 50's...

Bigtime
Apr 25, 2007, 3:10 PM

This man speaks the truth! They definitely have things figured out over there better than us! The rules for trucks they have should be implemented on all 3 lane roads ASAP! How many times on the Deerfoot have you seen a truck in the far left lane slowing everything down? Right lane only and middle lane to pass, stay the hell out of the fast lane!

Also props on the 205km/h! I was hesitant to go any faster than the 180 I got our rental car up to! :tup:

RAFS
Apr 25, 2007, 3:17 PM
This man speaks the truth! They definitely have things figured out over there better than us! The rules for trucks they have should be implemented on all 3 lane roads ASAP! How many times on the Deerfoot have you seen a truck in the far left lane slowing everything down? Right lane only and middle lane to pass, stay the hell out of the fast lane!

Also props on the 205km/h! I was hesitant to go any faster than the 180 I got our rental car up to! :tup:

Ya, we had a Toyota (go figure, in Germany and get a Toyota for a rental!), and I got it to 205. At that point, the car began to "shake" a bit more than I figure was healthy for it! Last time we were there, we got an Opel wagon. It only managed 192 (but there were 6 of us traveling in it). Next time, I gotta try to get an Audi (that's what the wife drives here - it keeps begging to go faster).

Bigtime
Apr 25, 2007, 3:37 PM
Ya, we had a Toyota (go figure, in Germany and get a Toyota for a rental!), and I got it to 205. At that point, the car began to "shake" a bit more than I figure was healthy for it! Last time we were there, we got an Opel wagon. It only managed 192 (but there were 6 of us traveling in it). Next time, I gotta try to get an Audi (that's what the wife drives here - it keeps begging to go faster).

Awesome! We had the Audi station wagon two years ago, it sure had some go! I get braver every year we go on business and this last trip was a Mercedes wagon that I got up to the 180.

The_Bachelor
Apr 25, 2007, 6:55 PM
bah,

Try driving in Saskatoon for a while. Everyone there learned to drive on an wheat field and it shows.

I agree, having grown up in Stoon but lived in Calgary for the last 5, every time I go back it is still a noticeable adjustment in both speed (people there barely hit the speed limit, even on the 'freeways') and the sheer moronic driving and uber slow reaction times. I mean you find that everywhere as well but Calgary is not too bad comparatively.

That's what one of my biggest pet peeves is people that have such slow reaction times and just can't fathom how to predict ahead what's going to happen in situations. I'm always trying to predict how something is going to unfold and how to avoid it or get around it the fastest and safest possible way.

lubicon
Apr 25, 2007, 7:14 PM
It's really surprising that there is a difference between Calgary and Edmonton drivers (in general). I've lived in both cities and noticed a difference when we moved here from The Chuck. Drivers seem to be faster in Calgary that they are in Edmonton. It seems in Calgary nobody follows the speed limit if they can help it (except in playground zones :shrug: ) while in Edmonton they seem to stick more to the speed limit and aren't quite as agressive. Not sure why there would be a difference but there is.

And drivers in general don't know how to merge/yield in both cities.

freeweed
Apr 25, 2007, 7:43 PM
It seems in Calgary nobody follows the speed limit if they can help it

I find that too, except in the opposite direction - people here take forever to accelerate to the speed limit, and often don't get there.

Hooray for 90 on the Deerfoot!

lubicon
Apr 25, 2007, 9:26 PM
I find that too, except in the opposite direction - people here take forever to accelerate to the speed limit, and often don't get there.

Hooray for 90 on the Deerfoot!

I hear you on that one. It drives me nuts on Crowchild (going north) when someone is at 24th Ave and is in the left hand lane because they will be turning left at Stoney Trail in about 15km and they take forever to get up to 70km/h and that's where they max out. GET IN THE RIGHT HAND LANE YOUR MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mersar
Apr 25, 2007, 10:02 PM
And once they get to the construction zone at Nosehill they dart into the right lane (which is either exit to Nosehill only, or closed ahead, depending on the day) which is pretty free flowing, and keep going 80 in the 50 zone and then decide 10' before the intersection that they need to merge back.

freeweed
Apr 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
And once they get to the construction zone at Nosehill they dart into the right lane (which is either exit to Nosehill only, or closed ahead, depending on the day) which is pretty free flowing, and keep going 80 in the 50 zone and then decide 10' before the intersection that they need to merge back.

Yeah, that's the other thing that kills me. Odds are if someone is doing 70 in an 80 zone, they'll keep doing 70 in the 50 construction zone.

I see this every time the Deerfoot is being repaired and there's a slowdown, and I ALWAYS see this on Crowchild. The same moron that's holding everyone up for the past 10km is suddenly blasting past everyone. Hey genius, the speed limit dropped by *30*. You might want to actually pay attention.

It's no wonder the fines in construction zones are so high here - people just do not respect them.

guymez
Apr 26, 2007, 3:54 AM

This is so true.
I was in Germany about 2 years ago and had the pleasure of driving the Autobahn. I honestly couldn't wipe the grin off of face. :D
What a dream driving experience. We were given a free upgrade to a Volvo sedan by the rental company. At the time I didn't think much of it until I had it cranked up to about 240. At 245 the car started to shake a little but even at 240 there were still BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes passing me with ease. The road was as smooth as glass and the drivers were all very attentive. I saw nobody putting on makeup, shaving or (saw this on Hwy #2) reading a novel.
People are paying attention to driving....just as it should be. Vehicles wanting to pass, went into the left lane, passed with authority, and then got back into the right (or centre) lane ASAP....no screwing around.
They should drop ship every Alberta driver into Germany for a month to learn how to really drive.

0773|=\
Apr 26, 2007, 5:42 AM
Pretty sure every city has it's fair share of bad drivers, but I definitely think Edmonton has less aggressive, worse-merging drivers than Calgary.

When it comes to merging, the worst drivers I've ever seen were between Abbotsford and Vancouver along the Trans Canada. They even get collector lanes out there to manage tighter weave zones along their cloverleaf ramps and there's still traffic that doesn't comprehend the 300 m of pavement beyond the last exit designed for traffic SPEEDING UP. Even the Gateway Project won't save their freeways if they don't deal with their worst drivers...

Bassic Lab
Apr 26, 2007, 9:25 AM
Beyond the people who don't know how to merge, and even worse those that seem dead set against allowing others to merge/change lanes (like when you have to change lanes, slow to allow the car beside you to pass and (your signal on the entire time) the jack ass behind them speeds right up because allowing you in would some how hurt them.... ass holes), the drivers in this city that consistently piss me off are those that creep up right behind you. There is no reason why another car has to come as close as many drivers feel they should while stopped at an intersection. This doesn't particularly matter at most stops but on hills it is brutal. For some reason most people don't seem to comprehend that manual transmissions still exist. I've noticed it a fair bit on southbound 14th street SW south of 17th Ave, people stop inches behind me. Like I drive an older sports car, it should be common sense that it is a stick and you'd think people would leave a little room for roll back, but they don't.

Well that is a small part of my screw automatic drivers who do not know any thing rant.

freeweed
Apr 26, 2007, 2:10 PM
Well that is a small part of my screw automatic drivers who do not know any thing rant.

The hills here are steep enough that even many automatics will roll back (mine does, I've gotten used to 2 pedal driving here as a result - which I wish more standard drives would grasp). This is just an example of people being stupid in general. Of course, the law's on your side anyway - if you roll back and hit someone, usually it's their fault - it's treated as a rear-end collision, and they shouldn't have stopped so close. Unless you're rolling back like 20 feet. :haha:

Contrast this to the morons who leave 2-3 car lengths between cars, on flat roads. With enough of these, and the short turn-off lanes at many major intersections, I've had the fun of waiting through many a light change when the turn-off is maybe 10 feet in front of me. Maddening. :hell:

RAFS
Apr 26, 2007, 3:23 PM
This is so true.
I was in Germany about 2 years ago and had the pleasure of driving the Autobahn. I honestly couldn't wipe the grin off of face. :D
What a dream driving experience. We were given a free upgrade to a Volvo sedan by the rental company. At the time I didn't think much of it until I had it cranked up to about 240. At 245 the car started to shake a little but even at 240 there were still BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes passing me with ease. The road was as smooth as glass and the drivers were all very attentive. I saw nobody putting on makeup, shaving or (saw this on Hwy #2) reading a novel.
People are paying attention to driving....just as it should be. Vehicles wanting to pass, went into the left lane, passed with authority, and then got back into the right (or centre) lane ASAP....no screwing around.
They should drop ship every Alberta driver into Germany for a month to learn how to really drive.

245! I salute you! Although, at those speeds, I'm not so sure if one notices a difference between 205 and 245. Still, that's fast!!!!!

But how about those nuts that drive their motorbikes that fast there? I did 185 on mine (TCH in Banff - ya I know, I know), and that was plenty scary enough.

Bigtime
Apr 26, 2007, 4:02 PM
I love this thread! We are just getting it all out aren't we? :haha:

I have a new one I'd like to add to the list, Funeral Processions on Deerfoot. I just ran into this yesterday on northbound Deerfoot from Southland all the way up to north of Memorial before finally being clear of it.

Every motorist trying to squeeze into the two left lanes to get past, merging traffic trying to dart out into these lanes from the right one to get past the procession.

It was probably the most stressful deerfoot drive I've ever had, brakes constantly going, people swerving, tailgating and generally not handling the situation well. Couldn't the procession have picked a different route that wouldn't involve messing up kilometers of traffic? Or did they have to only drive 80km/h? Why couldn't they at least do the posted limit? Am I missing something here? :sly:

guymez
Apr 26, 2007, 4:25 PM
245! I salute you! Although, at those speeds, I'm not so sure if one notices a difference between 205 and 245. Still, that's fast!!!!!

But how about those nuts that drive their motorbikes that fast there? I did 185 on mine (TCH in Banff - ya I know, I know), and that was plenty scary enough.

No kidding...anything over 200 is fast in my books. :D
One thing that that completely amazed me was that while I was cruising along at 240 there was the occasional car that didn't just pass me but blew by me. I have no idea how fast they were going (300+) but every time it happened my girlfriend lost a little more colour in her face. :haha:

Champion3
Apr 26, 2007, 5:49 PM
Pretty sure every city has it's fair share of bad drivers, but I definitely think Edmonton has less aggressive, worse-merging drivers than Calgary.

When it comes to merging, the worst drivers I've ever seen were between Abbotsford and Vancouver along the Trans Canada. They even get collector lanes out there to manage tighter weave zones along their cloverleaf ramps and there's still traffic that doesn't comprehend the 300 m of pavement beyond the last exit designed for traffic SPEEDING UP. Even the Gateway Project won't save their freeways if they don't deal with their worst drivers...
Hi, 0773|=\: Welcome to the forum -- I recognize you from canroads on Yahoo groups. There's a few of us on this forum who post on canroads as well.

freeweed
Apr 26, 2007, 6:03 PM
I have a new one I'd like to add to the list, Funeral Processions on Deerfoot. I just ran into this yesterday on northbound Deerfoot from Southland all the way up to north of Memorial before finally being clear of it.

Every motorist trying to squeeze into the two left lanes to get past, merging traffic trying to dart out into these lanes from the right one to get past the procession.

It was probably the most stressful deerfoot drive I've ever had, brakes constantly going, people swerving, tailgating and generally not handling the situation well. Couldn't the procession have picked a different route that wouldn't involve messing up kilometers of traffic? Or did they have to only drive 80km/h? Why couldn't they at least do the posted limit? Am I missing something here? :sly:

Don't pick on that sacred cow. I've ranted about funeral processions in the past, and been universally attacked. I think they're a pointless waste of resources, and a huge hazard as well. But apparently I'm disrespecting the dead.

My will is going to have a clause in it that states: if a funeral procession happens for me, the people responsible are required to donate their cars to charity immediately afterwards, and take the bus everywhere for 5 years. :haha:

The law does side with the procession, though. They can drive 30 on the Deerfoot if they so choose. The world is supposed to stop because that dead person (or their relatives) was wealthy enough to show off with a big display.

Bigtime
Apr 26, 2007, 6:45 PM
Don't pick on that sacred cow. I've ranted about funeral processions in the past, and been universally attacked. I think they're a pointless waste of resources, and a huge hazard as well. But apparently I'm disrespecting the dead.

My will is going to have a clause in it that states: if a funeral procession happens for me, the people responsible are required to donate their cars to charity immediately afterwards, and take the bus everywhere for 5 years. :haha:

The law does side with the procession, though. They can drive 30 on the Deerfoot if they so choose. The world is supposed to stop because that dead person (or their relatives) was wealthy enough to show off with a big display.

Yeah I fully expected a response from people saying that I was "disrespecting the dead" and the such. The funny thing is that I was half expecting someone to end up dead on the deerfoot yesterday from an accident CAUSED by the funeral procession! :koko:

Distill3d
Apr 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
No kidding...anything over 200 is fast in my books. :D
One thing that that completely amazed me was that while I was cruising along at 240 there was the occasional car that didn't just pass me but blew by me. I have no idea how fast they were going (300+) but every time it happened my girlfriend lost a little more colour in her face. :haha:

Having driven from Munich to Berlin twice, both times acheiving speeds close to 300KM/H (first in a BMW M3, second in a porsche boxster) I readily admit scaring the hell out of myself and having the time of my life all at once.

Mind you, I also boast that I can drive from Calgary to Vancouver in 6 - 7 hours with only two fuel stops along the way.

As for Calgary drivers, Calgary has the WORST drivers I have seen in my 10 years of driving. Especially coming into construction zones with one side of the road closed and plenty of warning. There's always some asshat in a big SUV or pick up truck that goes right upto where the lane ends and bullies his way into traffic. Personally, I think that should be made into a 7 point deduction and $600 fine.

Mind you I also think you should have to obtain a special licence to operate a full size pick up truck (Ford F150 or larger) in the city. Either that or pick ups should only be sold as fleet vehicles.

0773|=\
Apr 26, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hi, 0773|=\: Welcome to the forum -- I recognize you from canroads on Yahoo groups. There's a few of us on this forum who post on canroads as well.

I'm curious which canroader you happen to be... I usually keep my name the same wherever I post...

0773|=\
Apr 26, 2007, 11:57 PM
I have a new one I'd like to add to the list, Funeral Processions on Deerfoot. I just ran into this yesterday on northbound Deerfoot from Southland all the way up to north of Memorial before finally being clear of it. :sly:

Doesn't Deerfoot Trail have signs on all the entrances to the freeway saying "No slow moving vehicles permitted on this roadway"?

mersar
Apr 27, 2007, 12:10 AM
There were/are a few on some of the exit ramps, but not on all of them from what I recall.

401_King
Apr 27, 2007, 12:51 AM
calgary is definitely a piece of cake drive whenever i go back to visit family. its totally different out there, NOBODY honks, everyone signals, ppl dont really speed as much as i've seen in other places, and ppl actually wave when you let them merge!??! I always found Calgary like driving in paradise cause everyone followed the "rules" which is pretty cool, there are definitely a lot of good drivers there. But its also tru that there are a lot of new ppl from small towns who are really fcking up the flow, ive noticed that too. especially near chinook mall on glenmore trail. but other than that, where are all the real freeways in calgary? Deerfoot and Crowchild right?

ok we need to have a competition. i dont call myself 401 KING for nothing!!! i challenge anyone to a worst driver contest (arriving in 1 piece and faster than the next person aka race in rushhour). we must pick a neutral setting aka LA freeway system and settle the score !

401_King
Apr 27, 2007, 12:56 AM
suffering years on the 401 in Toronto and GODDAMNED Allen Road "exrpressway," where every asshole in town thinks they can cut you off when you turn onto Eglinton, I find Calgary to be a walk in the park. I think it's one of the easiest cities to drive in, in fact

ROFL, i seriously do this every single day on my way home!! :tup: i stay in my right lane and pass all the idiots in the left lane then cut in at the last moment to turn left to eglington village! i do my specialty move on the hill before the light, i cut right behind some other guy's rear leaving maybe 1 inch of space. its an unstoppable maneuver.... i love it! 5 mins saved!

entheosfog
Apr 27, 2007, 1:52 AM
calgary is definitely a piece of cake drive whenever i go back to visit family. its totally different out there, NOBODY honks, everyone signals, ppl dont really speed as much as i've seen in other places, and ppl actually wave when you let them merge!??! I always found Calgary like driving in paradise cause everyone followed the "rules" which is pretty cool, there are definitely a lot of good drivers there. But its also tru that there are a lot of new ppl from small towns who are really fcking up the flow, ive noticed that too. especially near chinook mall on glenmore trail. but other than that, where are all the real freeways in calgary? Deerfoot and Crowchild right?

I'd definitely agree with you there. Honking is a sin in this city. The other day I honked at some guy going 30 in a 50 zone and he stops in the middle of the road just to give me the finger...sorry for using my horn that's there for a reason.

I think Calgary has WAY too many passive drivers, too. I was just in Vancouver and I love at how aggressive you have to drive in the downtown just to get around to where you want to go.

401_King
Apr 27, 2007, 2:06 AM
i'm sure as calgary gets bigger it will get a little more aggressive in a driving sense...commuters are gonna figure it out sometime. its inevitable when a city becomes big i guess...enjoy what i call the city of "paradise driving" while it lasts drivers!

401_King
Apr 27, 2007, 2:11 AM
I'd definitely agree with you there. Honking is a sin in this city. The other day I honked at some guy going 30 in a 50 zone and he stops in the middle of the road just to give me the finger...sorry for using my horn that's there for a reason.

LOL yea dude, i am definitely hesitant to use my horn there. its considered pretty rude for sure... but then i've seen ppl waiting at a green light for a few seconds...and i cant help it, i filled them up with a nice juicy long one haha...! i am only so patient

guymez
Apr 27, 2007, 3:43 AM
Having driven from Munich to Berlin twice, both times acheiving speeds close to 300KM/H (first in a BMW M3, second in a porsche boxster) I readily admit scaring the hell out of myself and having the time of my life all at once.

Mind you, I also boast that I can drive from Calgary to Vancouver in 6 - 7 hours with only two fuel stops along the way.

Calgary to Vancouver in 6 - 7 hours...details please (route, speed etc). :tup:

freeweed
Apr 27, 2007, 3:45 AM
Interesting about the horn thing. I've noticed not a lot of people use it here, but that's true for most of western Canada.

I'm a maniac on the horn when warranted. You want to put your makeup on and the light turns green? HOOOONK! You want to go 10-20 under the limit and sit in the passing lane? HOOOONK! You want to turn left in front of oncoming traffic doing 70, with so little room that my brakes actually squealed (less than an hour ago by Market Mall; idiot) HOOOOOOOONK! I don't just toot either, I let out a full blast for the entire time the car is capable of causing an accident. I've managed to avoid 4 or 5 high speed collisions since moving here, and every time the stupid ass gets one hell of a horn bleat from me.

I've never thought it could be considered rude... I wonder how long it'll be till I get the snot beaten out of me by someone who doesn't get it. :haha:

Summing up Calgary is easy - passive and inattentive drivers. Honestly though, drivers here are about the same as drivers in Winnipeg/Regina/Saskatoon. Which makes sense, half this city is from those 3 places. Very passive, slow moving cities to drive in. I've just spent far too much time on real freeways to handle it anymore.

I will say one thing though - I thought the cellphone drivers were bad here. They are, and they're almost always doing 10-20 under the limit, and not signalling, and weaving all over the place... but they're nothing compared to the US. EVERYONE down there has this incessant need to yap 24/7 on their friggin phone. :hell: I can't wait till the laws come in on this issue.

freeweed
Apr 27, 2007, 3:52 AM
Calgary to Vancouver in 6 - 7 hours...details please (route, speed etc). :tup:

Well, if you count city limit to city limit, you're looking about 900kms on the Trans-Canada. 7 hours is averaging about 130, not unreasonable before the construction by Golden (and now leading up to Lake Louise), and if you're willing to do 140-50 or so on the faster parts of the highway. 6 hours is averaging 150. That's dangerously fast for our highways, because you'd be doing 120-130 in the mountains and easily 180 on the prairies. Or faster.

If you could guarantee me no animals, other drivers, or landslides, I'd love to give it a shot. :tup:

lubicon
Apr 27, 2007, 3:54 PM
I will say one thing though - I thought the cellphone drivers were bad here. They are, and they're almost always doing 10-20 under the limit, and not signalling, and weaving all over the place... but they're nothing compared to the US. EVERYONE down there has this incessant need to yap 24/7 on their friggin phone. :hell: I can't wait till the laws come in on this issue.

We already have laws that pertain to this. It's called 'driving without undue care and attention' or something along those lines. We don't need a new cell phone law, we just need the present laws to be enforced.

If I was a cop I would only hand out tickets for unsafe lane changes (not signalling), and driving in an unsafe manner (cell phone use, going too slow in the passing lane etc). I'd probably stay busy my entire shift doing this too, no need to just hand out speeding tickets.

Greco Roman
Apr 27, 2007, 4:52 PM
Ok. So unfortunately, I'll be working based out of Calgary for the summer. I'll be commuting to work on Deerfoot at 7 am from the north (Beddington Tr.?) all the way to Glenmore Tr. what is rush-hour like at that time?

freeweed
Apr 27, 2007, 5:23 PM
We already have laws that pertain to this. It's called 'driving without undue care and attention' or something along those lines. We don't need a new cell phone law, we just need the present laws to be enforced.

If I was a cop I would only hand out tickets for unsafe lane changes (not signalling), and driving in an unsafe manner (cell phone use, going too slow in the passing lane etc). I'd probably stay busy my entire shift doing this too, no need to just hand out speeding tickets.

Problem is, driving with a cellphone on the surface appears safe, so you'll never get pulled over. The only time the police have enough cause to pull you over is if they see you actually weaving, etc. Otherwise, people will fight any ticket unless cellphone use is specifically mentioned - and they usually win.

Every study on the matter has shown that cellphone use has a similar or worse impact to driving impaired. Note that we have a specific law for that, because an impaired driver doesn't necessarily appear to be 'driving without undue care and attention' - but we charge them anyway, because the actual act of driving while impaired is just that dangerous. Cellphone usage needs a clear law like this, which is why you're seeing this happen already in other jurisdictions. It's only a matter of time for Alberta.

If present laws actually reflected the danger properly, we'd have no need for a cellphone law, nor an impaired driving law - but the laws aren't specific enough. In essence, a vague 'undue care and attention' law really says "we'll pull you over if you're already causing a problem". That would still leave thousands of drunk drivers on the road most nights, because most of them aren't actually visible as being a problem - until they crash their car. Traffic laws, when the situation warrants, should try to prevent that from even being a possibility in the first place.

freeweed
Apr 27, 2007, 5:23 PM
Ok. So unfortunately, I'll be working based out of Calgary for the summer. I'll be commuting to work on Deerfoot at 7 am from the north (Beddington Tr.?) all the way to Glenmore Tr. what is rush-hour like at that time?

A parking lot.

No, I'm not kidding. Plan for an hour-long commute, longer if an accident occurs.

guymez
Apr 27, 2007, 6:17 PM

I would leave about 20 minutes earlier if I were you. It's amazing the difference that 20 minutes can make.....sure you get to work a little earlier than you would like, but I'm guessing you will save yourself a lot of aggravation.

yads
Apr 27, 2007, 9:00 PM

Just move over then, you don't have to slow down to a crawl. A lot of people think cars go much quicker than they actually do.

240glt
Apr 27, 2007, 9:10 PM
Mind you, I also boast that I can drive from Calgary to Vancouver in 6 - 7 hours with only two fuel stops along the way

Wow... you'd have to be some kind of idiot to do that...

Calgary to Banff: 150kph no problem
Banff to Field: speed limit is 90, you can do 120, you're a dick if you're going faster than that through the park
Field to Golden: Not too bad, except the last 20k... say average 110k
Golden to Revelstoke: the first 30k, 120-130, the rest is SLOW and dangerous (animals, bad roads)
Revelstoke to Salmon Arm: Slow driving except the 4 lane stetch this side of Sicamous
Salmon Arm to Kamloops: Slowish as well, 120 average is absolute tops until you hit the hwy 97 turnoff
Kamloops to Hope: Giv'er, 140k. Watch for the RC's on the Coquihalla
Hope to Van: You can do 140, but you're guaranteed a ticket, especially right around Chilliwack

My fastest is about 9 hours, driving fast but not stupid

Then again, driving like idiots is what gives Albertans a bad rap in BC...

Distill3d
Apr 28, 2007, 9:30 AM
Wow... you'd have to be some kind of idiot to do that...

Calgary to Banff: 150kph no problem
Banff to Field: speed limit is 90, you can do 120, you're a dick if you're going faster than that through the park
Field to Golden: Not too bad, except the last 20k... say average 110k
Golden to Revelstoke: the first 30k, 120-130, the rest is SLOW and dangerous (animals, bad roads)
Revelstoke to Salmon Arm: Slow driving except the 4 lane stetch this side of Sicamous
Salmon Arm to Kamloops: Slowish as well, 120 average is absolute tops until you hit the hwy 97 turnoff
Kamloops to Hope: Giv'er, 140k. Watch for the RC's on the Coquihalla
Hope to Van: You can do 140, but you're guaranteed a ticket, especially right around Chilliwack

My fastest is about 9 hours, driving fast but not stupid

Then again, driving like idiots is what gives Albertans a bad rap in BC...

This is why Calgaryians aren't good drivers. The most common route west, isn't the best one for retarded driving.

Along Highway 22 to highway 3 I hit 230, then on several sections of highway 3 I was doing between 170 and 180. Lowest speed I did was 90 through Osoyoos, but then again those switch backs are a bitch. All this was in a tuned '99 Honda Prelude.

As for the idiot comment, I'm not going to disagree with you. I was 18 the last time I did it.

Danma
Apr 28, 2007, 1:54 PM

GRAAAAAAARGH!!!! :hell: :hell: :hell: I take that way every morning and hate people who yield. The correct procedure is:

1) Take the off ramp at 90
2) 50m before, slow down to 30 to take the tight corner
3) GUN IT.

Westbound Memorial west of Deerfoot is actually quite nice to look at but damn, move it people! It's rush hour!!!

Danma
Apr 28, 2007, 2:08 PM

I take the same route, generally, at the same time.

I take Deerfoot from Country Hill Blvd to Memorial, and that takes only 10-20 minutes... every minute, however, that you wait, the worse it gets :) I leave my house at 6:45, turn onto Deerfoot at 6:55 and get off Memorial about 7:10.

Now, since you keep going South, Deerfoot from Memorial to Glenmore is quiet since you're going away from downtown, and I expect it's full speed ahead, another 10 minutes.

It's not too bad, but it's a long way even at full speed :)

The worse part is coming back after work. It's typically quite a bit slower I find.

Greco Roman
Apr 28, 2007, 8:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input and will plan accordingly :cheers:

YYCguys
Apr 29, 2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah I fully expected a response from people saying that I was "disrespecting the dead" and the such. The funny thing is that I was half expecting someone to end up dead on the deerfoot yesterday from an accident CAUSED by the funeral procession! :koko:

No disrespect intended, but my will is going to state that no funeral procession take place. My reasoning is environmental concerns. All those cars belching god knows what into the atmosphere. Car pool people! We're all going to the same place right? ;)

Champion3
Apr 30, 2007, 5:30 PM
I'm curious which canroader you happen to be... I usually keep my name the same wherever I post...
ChampionCubed - I've only made a few posts on there, usually I just read it. I couldn't keep the same name on there because Champion3 was already taken on Yahoo.

240glt
Apr 30, 2007, 5:49 PM
I was 18 the last time I did it.

Well that makes sense then! :D

guymez
Apr 30, 2007, 7:14 PM
This is why Calgaryians aren't good drivers. The most common route west, isn't the best one for retarded driving.

Along Highway 22 to highway 3 I hit 230, then on several sections of highway 3 I was doing between 170 and 180. Lowest speed I did was 90 through Osoyoos, but then again those switch backs are a bitch. All this was in a tuned '99 Honda Prelude.

As for the idiot comment, I'm not going to disagree with you. I was 18 the last time I did it.

Say no more. ;)

Sammy
Apr 30, 2007, 9:03 PM
The great thing about shopping center parking lots is that the rules of the road do not apply. A 4 way stop means nothing, or at least it will not hold up in a court of law because its private property, with the exception of a primary access road for a few feet.

Now I'm not suggesting one ignores such signage the next time you shop, yet seeing how many drivers ignore regular traffic signage and merge lanes in Calgary, if your in a rush the next time you are at Chinook, well . . .

entheosfog
Apr 30, 2007, 9:51 PM
The great thing about shopping center parking lots is that the rules of the road do not apply. A 4 way stop means nothing, or at least it will not hold up in a court of law because its private property, with the exception of a primary access road for a few feet.

Now I'm not suggesting one ignores such signage the next time you shop, yet seeing how many drivers ignore regular traffic signage and merge lanes in Calgary, if your in a rush the next time you are at Chinook, well . . .

And some parking lots are particularly worse than others...Westbrook Mall anyone? Or how about North Hill Mall? Yikes...

bigcanuck
Apr 30, 2007, 10:02 PM
My aunt was going through a Safeway parking lot and thought she had the right of way - she was on one of the more 'major' routes (think of the one lane that goes immediately in front of a Safeway) and was hit by another car coming out of one of the parking rows. She was deemed at fault because she should have yielded to the car on her right - even through she was on the more major route and the other car was coming out of a parking row.

entheosfog
Apr 30, 2007, 10:11 PM
My aunt was going through a Safeway parking lot and thought she had the right of way - she was on one of the more 'major' routes (think of the one lane that goes immediately in front of a Safeway) and was hit by another car coming out of one of the parking rows. She was deemed at fault because she should have yielded to the car on her right - even through she was on the more major route and the other car was coming out of a parking row.

I've heard of that happening before from someone I know. It doesn't make too much sense because it's usually assumed the more 'main' road has the right of way.

bigcanuck
May 1, 2007, 12:10 AM
It's assumed wrong I guess. By the book, at an 'unmarked' intersection, the driver on the right has the right of way. So unless they slap up a yield/stop sign at the end of each parking row, this will continue to exist...