PDA

View Full Version : New Seawall: Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay

Rusty Gull
Apr 12, 2007, 2:45 AM
This just in -- revealed tonight on GlobalTV News Hour. Kevin Falcon has announced a new seawall for the North Shore -- somehow connecting Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. I believe it is a "Spirit of 2010" project (or something to that effect).

If the powers that be can make this happen -- even with First Nations lands, private residences, North Shore nimbyism, etc -- it will be a tremendous, tremendous asset for the GVRD.

SpongeG
Apr 12, 2007, 2:50 AM
for real?

there gonna be some pissed off million dollar home owners

mr.x
Apr 12, 2007, 2:56 AM
for real?

there gonna be some pissed off million dollar home owners

Oprah?

Jared
Apr 12, 2007, 3:03 AM
I very much doubt it would be a true "seawall" the whole way around. Otherwise they'd have to shut down all the port facilities on the NS, and that would just be stupid.

SpongeG
Apr 12, 2007, 3:13 AM
i read that the north shore is getting a 2010 legacy trail kind of thing which is suppossed to cover the same area

i can't imagine they would put a seawall along some beautiful natural sights as there are along the coast there

Rusty Gull
Apr 12, 2007, 4:29 AM
I saw Kevin Falcon making the announcement on Global, but I haven't been able to find anything in the way of press releases, proposed routes, etc. If anyone sees anything, please post it here.

SpongeG
Apr 12, 2007, 4:45 AM
North Shore to get seawall-like trail

The B.C. government and north shore municipalities announced plans Wednesday for a 35-kilometre walking and cycling path — dubbed the North Shore Spirit Trail — from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay.
The B.C. government also announced $3.7 million in funding for the project with matching contributions from the three North Shore municipalities.
“I think it will have the same impact on the North Shore as the Stanley Park seawall has had in Vancouver,” Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon said Wednesday.
“I think it’s that important.”
Parts of the trail will run along existing paths such as the West Vancouver seawall but Falcon said much of it will involve new path construction.
“Significant chunks of it are going to be new,” he said.
Falcon, who grew up on the north shore, said he couldn’t say when the project will be complete, but said he’d like to have it finished by the 2010 Winter Olympics.

“That’s an ambitious deadline but I think it’s doable,” he said.
Falcon said he hopes the project will encourage north shore residents to become more active and that it could also serve as a key commuting route for cyclists, much like Greater Victoria’s 55-kilometre Galloping Goose Regional Trail.

“It will be a major catalyst for getting people out and about,” said Falcon.
The bulk of the $3.7 million in provincial funding for the project — $2 million — will go to the District of West Vancouver.
Another $980,000 will go to the City of North Vancouver and $708,233 to the District of North Vancouver.

According to a news release from the province, the funding will help pay for:
n A 3.5-kilometre greenway in North Vancouver District that will link the district’s alpine area to the waterfront, including a staircase with wheelchair accessible bypass.

n Greenway access in North Vancouver City from the Lower Lonsdale waterfront to Moodyville Park and onto Sunrise Park and Park & Tilford Shopping Centre.

n A 15-kilometre greenway in West Vancouver from Lions Gate Bridge to Horseshoe Bay, utilizing existing paths and new sections.
Provincial funding for the trail comes from the B.C. government’s LocalMotion fund, which is providing $40 million over the next four years for capital projects to encourage fitness and reduce air pollution.
Several LocalMotion projects in other B.C. communities were also announced Wednesday

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=31448937-38cb-44ae-bcec-4ae11a619d3d&k=43699

hollywoodnorth
Apr 12, 2007, 9:25 AM
Go FALCO Go!

fever
Apr 13, 2007, 3:27 AM
are they going to deal with the section of the trans canada trail on 3rd through the reserve?

i've heard there was some talk of connecting the quay to harbourside through the reserve/marina. you could always walk between them if the gate was open along bewicke. or you could find a whole in the fence

Rusty Gull
Apr 13, 2007, 3:36 AM
Interesting you should mention that. I was walking through the Squamish First Nations lands recently -- going from Lonsdale Quay towards the Harbourside area, and noticed the sign saying "No Trespassing".

I'm glad to hear that they'll be opening this area up to pedestrian and cycling traffic. It's a nice waterfront area...

Plasticman
Apr 19, 2007, 1:46 PM
This just in -- revealed tonight on GlobalTV News Hour. Kevin Falcon has announced a new seawall for the North Shore -- somehow connecting Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. I believe it is a "Spirit of 2010" project (or something to that effect).

If the powers that be can make this happen -- even with First Nations lands, private residences, North Shore nimbyism, etc -- it will be a tremendous, tremendous asset for the GVRD.
Actually, I could really, really, use some more information on this seawall application.

I am the Quality Manager for a company called Formtech which just started a sister company called Truline. Truline is making a new and innovative vinyl seawall that nobody else is doing. The design is incredibly superior to all the others. For those that are familiar with most seawall designs, the vinyl pilings are almost always "Z" shaped and interlocked to form a wall that looks corrugated which allow debris to collect in the recesses. The Z shape also only allows a single locking point. Our U-channel design locks in two places for more strength and can even be filled with rock or concrete if desired. Plus the wall surface is smooth without recesses. A very unique product.

At this point we are just launching the product to the public and a large project would help. Any contact help would be beneficial.

Here is a link to our website:

http://www.truline.us/

And a picture of one residential demo wall.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/Deadlymantis/seawall.jpg

Rusty Gull
Oct 8, 2007, 4:53 AM
The latest news from the North Shore, though I can't find a link to the article online, is that the District of North Vancouver is -considering- cancelling its participation in the project; although the City of North Vancouver and West Vancouver are both still on board 100%.

LeftCoaster
Oct 8, 2007, 8:01 PM
How is this project online?? it makes no sense. North van is cut off from the water by the essential port services and ship builiding yards in many areas of its waterfront and West vancouver's waterfront is just about as inaccessable in most areas due to the exorbitantly expensive waterfront homes owned by the city's elite who hold alot of sway in the city and would never allow such a project to be built. In a traditional sea wall sense I see this having no chance of being built. Im sure if it ends up being built, it will be manifested as more of a biking/hiking trail along the lower area of the north shore linking up with existing sea walls and encorporating new seawalls in the few areas where it is a possibility. Calling it a north shore seawall is a bit of a misnomer I would say.

Rusty Gull
Oct 8, 2007, 9:55 PM
^ You're partially right. It will be a trail that meanders at times along the various seawalls already in exist (Waterfront Park, West Van Seawall, Cates Park), some new seawall additions, plus trails along the railway.

Several wooded paths will be part of this also, I believe.

MolsonExport
Nov 8, 2007, 5:33 PM
This would be totally amazing if they pull it off. I so miss the seawall in Vancouver (lived in VAN area 1994-1998)

Canadian Mind
Nov 8, 2007, 7:46 PM
I would hope i can ride my bike along it, cause getting off the ferry and riding along highway #1 or even marine drive is a real bitch.

Actually, am I even allowed to ride my bike along the #1 through Vancity? I've never been able to spot the designated bike routes.

Rusty Gull
Jan 30, 2008, 6:45 AM
They've posted a map/diagram of the trail, at the trail's new website:
http://www.cnv.org/server.aspx?c=3&i=455

The routing looks OK, but there are some major holes, notably in parts of West Vancouver and in North Van east of the Second Narrows Bridge (Deep Cove/Dollarton).

There are two public info sessions coming up, by the way, in North Vancouver on February 5 and February 20.

nikw
Feb 3, 2008, 12:13 AM
It looks as though for the western part of west vancouver they will be using the existing Sea View Trail around the Eagle harbour area. Then to connect this trail to the ferry terminal they will be going around Gleneagles golf course to join into the main bus route down to Horseshoe Bay.

I find this odd because the road around Gleneagles golf course isnt at all designed for that kind of traffic, and I cant see any possible way that they could modify the roads to handle the traffic. Currently there are no sidewalks or even walking room and there is no space to add them!

Also, there is already a complete trail in place from the Sea View trail down to Horseshoe Bay that wouldn't require and modification.

Why is there need for any modification at this end at all

AKA-007
Feb 4, 2008, 7:57 AM
I'm looking at the pdf map of the route. I'm noticing some of the reasons why the District of NV might not want to do this.

First, there are many first nations communities in the area east of the city of NV, The Tsleil-Waututh being the largest. This is an even larger obstacle than NIMBYism. The legalities that must be dealt with are quite extensive. Furthermore, there is the squamish nation next to the second narrows bridge. That makes two first nations communities to deal with.

Secondly, the sections of the path that are proposed have a few issues. The most notable being the route east of the Tsleil-Waututh. The homes along the Indian Arm are quite expensive. Any path going along there would have to be along an existing road or else be subject to huge NIMBYism. And I mean huge. All of the waterfront properties there have ocean access. Hopefully, judging by the look of the picture, there is an existing seawall that can be used.

I would also like to note about the proposed route in the City of North van between Park and Tilford and the versatile shipyards. The grade of the hill to the north of that road is quite steep. It is possible to put a path there, but it would have to be separated from the "highway" (as I like to call it) in order to make it friendly to the people using the pathway (the speed limit there is 60km/h, one of only 2 places in the north shore with that limit, the other being the Mt. Seymour Parkway). It seems ironic that this would be considered a seawall along here. I know that the project is a seawall, but large sections of it will not be along the sea, they will be along industrial grain elevators and train yards.

It would be nice to get a seawall though. I live near the mountains and usually go running along the baden powell trail for excersize.

Anyway, enough of my rant about why this can't happen. I support it, but there are a few issues that need to be worked out though.

Rusty Gull
Jul 2, 2008, 10:09 PM
OK, this is heating up again -- this time in West Vancouver. Apparently there's opposition there from waterfront homeowners due to the awful "noise" created by bicycles. :???:

There's some good chatter at the North Shore mountain biking forum:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=1969011

North Shore Spirit Trail

To find out more about the Spirit Trail, come to a Open House:

Date: Wednesday, July 9th, 2008
Time: 7:00PM to 9:00PM
Place: Seniors' Activity Centre, 695-21st Street

The District of West Vancouver is implementing the first phase of the Spirit Trail greenway, a key feature of the District’s Cycling Network and Greenway Plan, adopted by Council in 2007. The Plan was developed with community participation and input, and is a key component of the District’s Transportation and Mobility goals in the Official Community Plan.

Vision

The North Shore Spirit Trail will connect Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay, providing a multi-use pathway across the North Shore communities, including District of North Vancouver, Tsleil-Waututh Nation, City of North Vancouver, Squamish Nation, and the District of West Vancouver.

In West Vancouver, the Spirit Trail will be a greenway serving as the backbone of our local cycling network, and will provide a continuous and relatively flat connection between the Lion’s Gate Bridge and Horseshoe Bay.

The Spirit Trail has broad appeal. At community planning workshops the greenway was the most requested bicycle route.

Because of its safe design away from busy roads, and its convenient routing close to the waterfront, parks, shopping areas, and major community facilities, the Spirit Trail will be an attractive facility for cyclists, pedestrians, in-line skaters, and other users.

Phase One

Use of the Spirit Trail will be highest at the eastern end of the greenway, adjacent to Park Royal Shopping Center, Ambleside, and Dundarave, where the greenway will be very accessible and convenient to use.

This section of the greenway has been identified for high-priority implementation as Phase One of the Spirit Trail.

Phase One is 6 kilometres and will connect between the Lions Gate Bridge, through the Squamish Nation lands adjacent to Park Royal, through Ambleside and Dundarave to 31st Street at Marine Drive. Phase One construction is planned for 2008 and 2009.

fever
Jul 2, 2008, 10:48 PM
The real signs will be twice as long

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/1519720171_c8c1e70105.jpg?v=0
bigsnit on flickr

twoNeurons
Jul 3, 2008, 12:33 AM
They'll be instituting these policies soon:
No sawing of park benches:
http://famille.org/blog-pictures/transit-nosawing.jpg

No guitars:
http://famille.org/blog-pictures/transit-nosing.jpg

No poor people:
http://famille.org/blog-pictures/transit-nopoor.jpg

jlousa
Jul 3, 2008, 12:55 AM
There's no line across on those signs so it doesn't mean Not allowed. The sign is in red though and not green, so it's given off a mixed message.

fever
Jul 3, 2008, 12:56 AM
They forgot the red line through the black guy on those signs

northwest2k
Jul 3, 2008, 12:58 AM
I can actually see this thing getting a lot of usage. I wouldn't mind taking a ride around it when its competed. Since its impossible to get down near the water any other way because of those million dollar homes blocking it. They even block the view too.

Distill3d
Jul 3, 2008, 3:27 AM
how could someone be pissed off about this going up near their million dollar home? one would think this would increase property value would it not?

leftside
Jul 3, 2008, 7:19 PM
I hope this cycle path really does happen. It will get a lot of use. I can see myself cycling from downtown and using that cycle path to get to the ferry at Horseshoe Bay.

vanlaw
Jul 3, 2008, 8:08 PM
I hope this cycle path really does happen. It will get a lot of use. I can see myself cycling from downtown and using that cycle path to get to the ferry at Horseshoe Bay.

Exactly - Marine Drive to HB is sketchy on the best of days, and only other option is Upper Levels where your sucking freeway exhaust for the whole ride. I still choose Marine Drive, but its just too narrow in some parts.

Rusty Gull
Jul 3, 2008, 8:17 PM
VanLaw,

Thanks for bringing this issue up -- as I will be cycling to Horseshoe Bay to catch a ferry next week. Do you recommend one route over the other -- seeing this would be my first time going by bike to the terminal?

My main priority, I guess, would be safety. Although sucking car exhaust for an hour doesn't sound appealing either.

vanlaw
Jul 3, 2008, 8:45 PM
I've always taken Marine, usually on a weekend and it's not crazy busy, but busy enough in some points where it narrows to get me a little worried (some blind corners etc), and it "rolls" up and down pretty good, which is good for a workout, but a hit of a pain if you are on tight schedule.

I think when I do it agian, I would just suck up (no pun intended) the steep initial climb up 15th or some other road to the upper levels and take the freeway - shoulders are much wider, although it may get a little sketchy near the terminal where there is construction.

I guess at the end of the day, and hour or less of bad air is better than an accident.

Rusty Gull
Jul 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, VanLaw.

Cypherus
Jul 5, 2008, 6:53 PM
I couldn't resist:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7223/funnysignyk1.jpg

Rusty Gull
Jul 13, 2008, 4:30 AM
Well, we all saw this coming...

West Van backtracks on Spirit Trail
500 residents cram information meeting

Heidi Castle
North Shore News

Friday, July 11, 2008

NEGATIVE public reaction to a contentious e-mail and the proposed routing of the Spirit Trail between 19th and 24th streets in the District of West Vancouver have brought the project to a grinding halt in that community until at least summer's end.

"We have abandoned the routing that has caused such concern," said District of West Vancouver Mayor Pam Goldsmith-Jones over the loud applause of an overflow crowd of some 500 residents at the West Vancouver Senior's Centre Wednesday.

District staff were looking at running a section of Spirit Trail parallel to the rail bed north of the track that hugs that stretch of the West Vancouver Centennial Seawalk.

"What has brought many of us here, including council, is a real concern about the integrity of the public process around the Spirit Trail, anger about the conduct of one of our members of staff and opposition to the initial routing of the trail, particularly from 19th to 24th," said Goldsmith-Jones. "Really you have been the canary in the coal mine on this issue."

It's in the best interest of the community, council and the project to step back and reassess, she said.

"We should enjoy the summer, we should not think about this again until the fall, and we should proceed with caution," said Goldsmith-Jones.

However, District of West Vancouver chief administrative officer Grant McRadu went one step further.

He apologized for an e-mail written by the district's manager of public works and transportation Brent Dozzi, that some in the community felt amounted to political lobbying, something outside the job description of a public servant.

The e-mail encouraged those in the community with an interest in cycling to attend the July 9 public meeting to push for their interests.

"I was, to be polite, appalled," McRadu said. This action has hurt the district's credibility, he said. "We have failed you. I can assure you on my watch this will not happen again."

McRadu took on the CAO position two months ago. He has replaced Dozzi as project manager with Emil Barth, director of engineering and transportation.

While Dozzi's e-mail is unfortunate, attendance at the meeting is due to the process council pursued, said Gene MacDonald of 101 22nd St. There has been little to no information about plans for the Spirit Trail along the Seawalk, he said. "Information got out and that resulted in the people being here today."

Council did not know about staff's proposed alignment of the Spirit Trail along the rail line until May 26, said Coun. John Clark. "We were not in favour of it," he said. "I do not, I have not and I will not ever; I think it's ludicrous, frankly."

One speaker said mixing cyclists with pedestrians invites hazards, while another said she supported cycling but objected to the proposed route running within a foot of her bedroom window. Some property owners along the Seawalk had sought legal advice.

Fourteen-year West Vancouver resident Margaret Baker said while she's a cyclist she opposes the trail because it's too close to homes. "Most of my neighbours oppose the path because it's right there. You can reach out and touch the cyclists." She said she invites council to her Argyle home to see just how close the proposed trail is to her home. "I was stunned at how close that thing is." Other multi-use paths in Vancouver are not that close to people's homes, she said.

"My concern is that a relatively small group of West Vancouver residents here are taking options off the table when we haven't had an opportunity to fully consider all options," said John Morrison, Dundarave resident and commuter cyclist. "I would be very concerned if, as a result of this meeting tonight, options for the section that is obviously controversial are taken off the table."

The public deserves a full discussion of all the options, he said.

"It is very dangerous out there for cyclists with all the cars," said Stuart Loewen, the owner of two West Vancouver properties. "There has been very little done, for all the taxes paid, for the cyclists in West Van."

In concept, the Spirit Trail is a continuous multi-use trail across the North Shore Where possible it builds on existing paths and greenway.

The district received a $2 million grant toward the Spirit Trail development through the province's Local Motion program, money it can use over a four year period. TransLink has provided $500,000.

West Vancouver plans to pay for the remainder of its trail through development cost charges. Its initial focus is on a section of the trail from the Lion's Gate bridge to 13th Avenue in Ambleside.

The Squamish Nation has approved in principle those sections that run through its lands.

© North Shore News 2008

Rusty Gull
Sep 1, 2008, 9:14 PM
$1 million more from province for Spirit Trail

Money to go toward North Van pedestrian overpass

Melanie Kuxdorf
North Shore News

Friday, August 29, 2008

A new link should soon be added to the North Shore Spirit Trail, thanks to a $1 million provincial donation announced by Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon in North Vancouver on Tuesday.

The funding will go toward the construction of a pedestrian overpass over the CN Rail lines that will allow users to reach North Vancouver's waterfront, including Lonsdale Quay.

The 35-kilometre trail, which is still under construction, runs near or along the North Shore waterfront. It will be open to cyclists, inline skaters and pedestrians.

"I'm extremely pleased. It's a very substantial contribution," said North Vancouver City Mayor Darrell Mussatto. "I'm really trying to give alternatives for people to commute other than the automobile. (Also) it'll link up two areas that are completely disconnected because of the railway tracks. We've had lots of people trying to cross the train tracks."

The aim is to make the trail stretch uninterrupted from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. Mussatto called the Spirit Trail a gateway to the North Shore.

"(It will be) our own little Stanley Park seawall," said Mussatto. "It will be good for locals and tourists."

"It's not often in government that you have the opportunity to be involved in these really important legacy projects that can have such a positive impact," said Falcon.

When asked if the Spirit Trail could expect future funding he said his ministry would be willing to help out.

"I believe very, very strongly in this," said Falcon.

The four-metre-wide paved trail will have a low grade, avoiding steep areas in order to be more accessible. This means that the bridge itself must have low grades also.

That explains the hefty price tag, said Mussatto, since the bridge must be quite wide to reach the required two-story height over the train tracks.

The entire project will cost $3 million. The balance will come from the city, although students at Bodwell High School also raised $5,000 toward the project.

Currently, the province's LocalMotion program -- designed to promote greener, more active and accessible communities -- has already allotted $3.5 million to Spirit Trail upgrades. The funding depends upon the municipality contributing at least 50 per cent of the cost.
© North Shore News 2008

hollywoodnorth
Sep 1, 2008, 11:35 PM
Go Falcon Go!

worldwide
Sep 3, 2008, 8:47 AM
I couldn't resist:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7223/funnysignyk1.jpg

thanks for the pic...

the first time i was at ambleside some old woman yelled at me for riding a skateboard a long the seawall there. but what sane person would look at that ssign and take it seriously? its such a load of BS

Rusty Gull
Oct 16, 2008, 8:50 PM
Update on the Spirit Trail from the recent newsletter of Ralph Sultan, MLA West Vancouver/Capilano:

"No doubt about it, Hon. Kevin Falcon is a cycling enthusiast. When the “Spirit Trail” concept was first broached by North Shore MLA’s and Mayors, envisaging a recreation path from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay, Kevin needed little convincing. Conveniently, Hon. Ida Chong had just completed putting flesh on the bones of a “Local Motion” grants program first announced by Premier Campbell at the fall 2007 Union of BC Municipalities conference.

All the pieces fit together: tourism promotion, fitness and exercise, the strategy of getting more people out of their automobiles to help reduce street congestion, and building legacy projects which would coincide with the 2010 Olympic Games.

Town planner Richard White and NV City Mayor Darrell Mussatto had another good reason: to build a pedestrian overpass over the railroad tracks at MacKay Creek, so that school children would no longer take a risky short cut over the railroad tracks. NVD Mayor Richard Walton liked this project too: it would open the District’s existing elaborate trail system to the waterfront as well as the forthcoming east-west Spirit Trail.

The first three provincial grants totaling about $4 million were announced in the spring of 2008. In September Minister Falcon, flanked once more by Mayors and MLA’s, announced an additional $1 million of provincial funding for the overpass. Matched by the municipalities, this will ensure construction of this vital link in the Spirit Trail. I am proud to have played a support role in all of this.

Donny Mekilok - Marina Manager, Mosquito Creek Marina, Toby Baker - Negotiator, Project Negotiation & Development, Squamish Nation, Transportation Minister Hon. Kevin Falcon, Sheryl Fisher - Communications Officer, Project Negotiation & Development, Squamish Nation, and Mayor Darrell Mussatto of the City of North Vancouver, inspect the early head start the Squamish Nation has shown in building their portion of the Spirit Trail which will run from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay, along the North Shore.

The opening of the Squamish Nation portion of the Spirit Trail was an occasion for Ralph to meet up with old friend Frank Moody of the Squamish Nation Mosquito Creek Boat Yard staff."

Rusty Gull
Dec 22, 2008, 12:57 AM
North Shore Outlook
CNV saluted with national design award for waterfront trail
By Sam Cooper - North Shore Outlook

Published: December 17, 2008 4:00 PM

The City of North Vancouver’s ambitious plan to unite its disjointed waterfront with a “linear park” has been saluted with a national design award.

The CNV and design consultant Space2Place recently won an Award of Merit in Urban Design in Toronto, for a plan to connect industrial, urban, commercial and park settings along the city’s 6.5-kilometre portion of the North Shore Spirit Trail, which will eventually stretch from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay.

The city’s waterfront has long been inaccessible due to industrial impediments and the difficulty of coordinating various usages and jurisdictions, but the trail plan is steadily gaining momentum, says CNV waterfront project manager Gary Penway.

Penway said award judges applauded the CNV trail plan because of its urban planning balancing act of making diverse areas function well together, and bringing economic and aesthetic benefits.

“The trick was designing with continuity but picking up the unique (area) characters,” Penway said. “It’s not like (Vancouver’s) Coal Harbour, where they just blasted a (uniform) path in.”

Architect Jeff Cutler of Space2Place said his firm’s approach was to think of a “linear park, not just a trail.”

The trail is designed and graded to be an easy and inviting walk for families, Cutler says, with different uses such as benches, public art and play areas, as well as unique surfaces and branding reflecting diverse locations.

“What gives the trail character is building on the essence of the place,” Cutler said. “Judges liked how it incorporated the existing conditions without creating a blank slate.”

The trail will have two key industrial-area bypasses, with a variety of connector choices from Lower Lonsdale to Moodyville Park, and an overpass of the CN rail tracks at the foot of MacKay Street, over to Harbourside. The estimated cost for the overpass is $3.5 million, with $1 million in provincial funding already allocated. Penway says the city will seek the rest from stakeholders, including CN, the Vancouver Port Authority, Harbourside businesses and the federal government.

“We think everyone has something to gain,” Penway said.

Detailed design plans are due in 2009 and construction for the Harbourside overpass could be started in 2010.

The trail will be completed in phases as funding is gathered, and a 300-metre stretch of trail on the Squamish Nation Mosquito Creek Marina has already been completed, which is a major milestone in the working relationship between the city and the nation, according to Penway.

“Even if the (Squamish Nation trail) portion is only 10 per cent of the whole distance, it represents 50 per cent of the total effort (to complete the 6.5-km waterfront trail), Penway said.

Penway said it’s hard to quantify how much economic benefit a completed trail will generate, with many factors such as the proposed maritime centre and other tourist destinations yet to fall into place.

“If you don’t have a trail you can’t get to the places and if you don’t have anywhere to go you’re not getting value from the trail,” he said.

Penway said the city’s overall 10- to 20-year waterfront tourism economic plan goes beyond the North Shore — the plan is to partner with Vancouver for a “Burrard Inlet” experience, with a potential water taxi depot from Harbourside to Coal Harbour.

“We’ve created a division of Burrard with a couple major crossings,” Penway said. “People haven’t looked at it like this in about 100 years, but the Burrard is not that big a body, people used to canoe and row across.”

worldwide
Dec 22, 2008, 5:06 PM
thanks for the article. penway is the man

Rusty Gull
Dec 22, 2008, 6:51 PM
^He's doing a nice job with this. Seems like this project is exceeding expectations so far -- especially with all of the Nimbies in the North Shore who would like this trail to go away.

Pinion
Dec 23, 2008, 3:16 AM
Where exactly is Harbourside? I've never heard of it and I've been on the North Shore for 20 years.

Also hard to imagine this getting done when they can't even continue construction on the LL waterfront development that's been sitting idle for two months now.

Distill3d
Dec 23, 2008, 5:36 AM
Pinion:

think North Shore Auto Mall

Rusty Gull
Mar 15, 2009, 6:46 AM
Where exactly is Harbourside? I've never heard of it and I've been on the North Shore for 20 years.

It's actually a nice stretch of waterfront, in spite of the nearby office parks.

A good reason to drive down there for a look is to try out the famous chocolatier down there, Thomas Haas.

Rusty Gull
Mar 15, 2009, 6:47 AM
Spirit Trail has two chances of winning federal funding

Benjamin Alldritt
North Shore News

Friday, March 13, 2009

Minister of State for Sport Gary Lunn came to Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge March 6 to announce $25 million of federal funding for outdoor trail systems. But North Shore communities will face fierce competition for a share of the money.

"Our government sees this investment as a win for our national trails system, a win for everyone that uses healthy living space, and a win for job creation and investment in communities," Lunn said.

The $25 million is part of the federal government's Economic Action Plan, designed to boost demand and create jobs across the country. Ottawa will spend $3 million of the trail money in British Columbia, and half of it is earmarked for ATV and snowmobile trails.

The National Trails Coalition, an umbrella group of outdoor activity, snowmobile and off-road vehicle associations, will match the government's contribution and implement their spending plans. Andrew Saxton, MP for North Vancouver, was at Lunn's announcement along with his colleague, West Vancouver MP John Weston.

"Obviously there will be a lot of communities applying," Saxton said. "The most important thing is that we get our application in early and that it's a solid application so that we have the best opportunity to get those funds for the North Shore."

Saxton said he and Weston had met with all three North Shore mayors to help develop their applications. At the top of their wishlist is the Spirit Trail, a proposed walking and cycling route that will link Horseshoe Bay with Deep Cove. The final pricetag for the Spirit Trail will likely run into the tens of millions of dollars, only a small portion of which has been covered by the province and municipalities so far.

But Saxton says the planning work already done means the Spirit Trail has a good chance of winning some federal support. "We have as good a chance as anyone," he said. "We are home to some of the most beautiful trails in the world and I think we have an opportunity, but it's going to be competitive."

Saxton pointed out that stretches of the Spirit Trail pass through urban areas, making it eligible for money from another program within the Economic Action Plan.

"It will qualify for the community component of the Building Canada fund, which is specifically for infrastructure in communities of less than 100,000," Saxton said.

"And that fund runs into the billions of dollars."

The urban portions of the trail also include some of its most expensive elements, such as pedestrian bridges and underpasses. Municipalities have one month to file their application for a share of the trail funding, and Saxton is looking for a decision before the summer.

© North Shore News 2009

jlousa
Jan 12, 2010, 5:47 AM
Spirit Trial sections 11 and 12 have gone to tender, for those that want to see the details they are located here.

Tender 1
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15800214&disID=15800156&blobID=3078430&filetype=Blob

Tender 2
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15800215&disID=15800156&blobID=3078431&filetype=Blob

Tender 3
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15800216&disID=15800156&blobID=3078432&filetype=Blob

Tender 4
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15800217&disID=15800156&blobID=3078433&filetype=Blob

Tender 5
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15800218&disID=15800156&blobID=3078434&filetype=Blob

Front end and specs
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15800219&disID=15800156&blobID=3078437&filetype=Blob

Addendum 1
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15800225&disID=15800156&blobID=3079537&filetype=Blob

jlousa
Jan 12, 2010, 5:52 AM
Not really related but this is probably the best place for this. North Van has issued a tender for what they are calling the Keith Rd Connection of the Green necklace greenway.

The Keith Road Greenway Connection is part of the historic, 7km long, ‘Green Necklace’ greenway. The Green Necklace was envisioned in the original 1907 town plan as a 7km closed loop of pedestrian walks and pathways, linking a number of parks in the City’s central area, within walking distance of the dense urban core. To date 1.2 km of the Green Necklace Greenway have been constructed with broad community support. Residents and visitors regularly use the multi-use trail to commute to work, exercise or enjoy a quiet moment along the route.
The Keith Road Connection is envisioned as a 3m wide, 700m long concrete multi-use trail that will accommodate pedestrians and cyclists alike, along the busy vehicular corridor of West Keith Road. Extending from St. Andrew’s Avenue to the foot of Grand Boulevard, the trail will connect two of the most historic and popular parks in the city’s centre: Victoria Park and Grand Boulevard. The trail will be situated on the north side of West Keith Road, within the street Right-of-Way and adjacent to private residential
properties. It will replace the existing concrete sidewalk, will increase the visibility, accessibility and usability of this high-amenity pedestrian area and will provide safe alternative transportation and recreation options to people of all ages and abilities

Source
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21726148&charID=15803315&disID=15802589&blobID=3079569&filetype=Blob

Distill3d
Jan 12, 2010, 9:48 AM
^So basically, and extension of the pedestrian corridor that already exists along Keith Road between Chesterfield and St. Andrews?

trofirhen
Jan 12, 2010, 8:43 PM
^So basically, and extension of the pedestrian corridor that already exists along Keith Road between Chesterfield and St. Andrews?

That seems a central pont, maybe a starting point, but look at the title: Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay.

The are a lot of seafront and roads and trails be these two localities.

Distill3d
Jan 13, 2010, 8:00 AM
Trofirhen, please read one post above mine, perhaps this may clear up any confusion I may have caused in asking about the Keith Road Greenway extension.

I'm aware of the project this thread is named after. Albeit off topic, a similar project up for tender was mentioned, I figured I would address that project. Didn't mean to offend anyone or do harm to the already existing discussion of the Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay Seawall. :shrug:

trofirhen
Jan 13, 2010, 8:18 AM
Trofirhen, please read one post above mine, perhaps this may clear up any confusion I may have caused in asking about the Keith Road Greenway extension.

I'm aware of the project this thread is named after. Albeit off topic, a similar project up for tender was mentioned, I figured I would address that project. Didn't mean to offend anyone or do harm to the already existing discussion of the Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay Seawall. :shrug:

My computer just read "your session has expired 1 2 3 ..." so I don't know what was there. Anyway, it's just an innocent remark. No damage done.

Distill3d
Jan 13, 2010, 8:30 AM
:haha: Rookie mistake. I don't read everything either. LOL :cheers:

CBeats
Jan 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
My computer just read "your session has expired 1 2 3 ..." so I don't know what was there.

Same with me...

Rusty Gull
Jun 5, 2010, 7:09 AM
Just to clarify: Spirit Trail is the path that connects Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay along the waterfront or near-waterfront. The Green Necklace is the loop in the City of North Vancouver that connects Keith Road and Mahon Park and Grand Boulevard. Props to JLousa for posting the Green Necklace info, because I thought that project was dead.

Here's the latest on the Spirit Trail, from the City of North Van's website:

NEW! - Spirit Trail Section 11 + 12 Under Construction

Construction is now underway for the Waterfront Escarpment and Moodyville Park section of the North Shore Spirit Trail and construction is anticipated to be complete by Fall 2010.

Clearing work has been completed for the entrance trail at Moodyville Park (Moody and East 2nd Street) and along the Park Street ROW (from St. Patrick's to Alder and St. David's). Work will be underway on St. David's Avenue shortly. The City recognizes that the early phases of construction can appear unsightly and can be an unsettling transition for neighbouring residents; however the work presently underway is temporary and part of a comprehensive plan for the area that will showcase the natural habitat and character of the Waterfront Escarpment and Moodyville Park for community enjoyment and appreciation.

As construction progresses, native plants (a total of 2,691) will be re-introduced as part of the invasive plant management strategy and the trees that were removed to allow for an accessible route will be replanted in keeping with the replacement ratio required by the City's Tree Policy. A total of 72 trees will be replanted in Moodyville Park and the Park Street ROW (from St. Patrick's to Alder and St. David's), in addition to 11 new street trees along St. David's between East 1st Street and East 2nd Street.

The City has been working with a Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) regarding the scope and timing of construction to mitigate potential impact on birds and to ensure compliance with Provincial and Federal regulations. For more information on this, please click here and here.

The Spirit Trail is part of a long-term vision and, when complete, will provide a multi-use trail for use by all, encouraging healthy lifestyles and the use of alternative transportation.

More info here (http://www.cnv.org/c//data/3/455/Construction%20Notice%20-%20Spirit%20Trail%20Waterfront%20Escarpment%20-%20Moodyville%20Park%20(Section%2011%20+%2012).pdf)