PDA

View Full Version : Bay-Adelaide Centre - Virtual tour

Delirium
Apr 8, 2007, 1:55 AM
i have a new appreciation for this building..
check this out!
http://www.bayadelaidecentre.com/virtualtour/index.ch2?virtualTourId=2

some images from the website..

http://www.bayadelaidecentre.com//upload/photogalleryphotoimage/73-exterior_image01.jpg

http://www.bayadelaidecentre.com//upload/photogalleryphotoimage/15-BAC-Exterior-01-480x360.jpg

http://www.bayadelaidecentre.com//upload/photogalleryphotoimage/62-exterior_image03.jpg

http://www.bayadelaidecentre.com//upload/photogalleryphotoimage/65-exterior_image06.jpg

WhipperSnapper
Apr 8, 2007, 2:21 AM
thanks for posting

This one lacks the ornamentation of other 'boxes' going up in the country but the curtain wall at least appeears to be of a higher quality

DrJoe
Apr 8, 2007, 2:39 AM
Meh, it's a nice filler.

401_King
Apr 8, 2007, 2:51 AM
i dont know mcuh about this project. is it me or do i see THREE buildings??

MonkeyRonin
Apr 8, 2007, 2:54 AM
Pretty awesome. Honestly though, I really don't like all the greenspace around the towers.

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 8, 2007, 2:58 AM
i dont know mcuh about this project. is it me or do i see THREE buildings??

The plan is for three eventually.

WhipperSnapper
Apr 8, 2007, 2:59 AM
^its just a small plaza in between the two office towers and of course the cloud forest beside the hotel/condo tower

vegeta_skyline
Apr 8, 2007, 3:00 AM
pfft, its 2007 and we're still building boxes in Toronto.

miketoronto
Apr 8, 2007, 3:08 AM
To be honest, I am not glad at how short this building is. The Bay-Adelaide site is a prime spot in the heart of the CBD. A building at that location should have been 70,80,, even 100 stories tall :)

It is a waste of space to be building small 50 story buildings in prime central CBD land.

DrJoe
Apr 8, 2007, 3:16 AM
Mike, it's over 700 ft tall, although dwarfed by its neighbours it is not "short".

WhipperSnapper
Apr 8, 2007, 4:08 AM
It is a waste of space to be building small 50 story buildings in prime central CBD land.

Brookfield has wasted nothing considering they maxed out on height and density. Some would even say our core is oppressively dense already as they seek shelter in the cavernous PATH system

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 8, 2007, 6:57 AM
This is a big project, nothing wasted here. I think in years to come we will see that there are more opportunities for tall office towers in and around the financial district. The proposed RA Centre and BCE 3 are two examples, and don't forget BA has room for more than just 1 tower. There's more space if it's needed.

OrientExpress
Apr 8, 2007, 9:40 AM
Put a futuristic antanna on it, and it'll be even better.

Andy6
Apr 8, 2007, 2:19 PM
It's pretty good. Thankfully no spires or "detailing". I like the spin about being "equidistant" from both the Queen and King street subway stations. I guess they must be getting some blowback about being too far from the TTC compared to the other buildings.

Delirium
Apr 8, 2007, 3:37 PM
the building is not going to win any major architectual prize but with trump going in across the street, i don't think it needs to be a flashy building. site density is certainly maximized more than the original scheme with 3 buildings now vs. 2.

it's going to be pretty big too. it has a typical floorplate of 25,200 RSF. in comparison, commerce court west has 24K, canada trust tower 23K, bay-wellington 26K. fcp still has the most at 31K. that's pretty big. i just hope the glass will be as reflective as seen in the video.

psychosomatic
Apr 8, 2007, 4:42 PM
i just hope that this building keeps that light colored glass it has in its older renderings, which differentiated it from its neighbors

CMD UW
Apr 8, 2007, 4:54 PM
I really like the design. Clean and simple or 'less is more' is a philosophy I tend to agree with.

Maldive
Apr 8, 2007, 10:42 PM
Don't forget this fella will put on a wonderful LED light show every night. Doubt there will any complaints about the architecture once night falls.

The 48 storey hotel/condo (northern most phase across Temperance)) holds lots of promise as well.

TOBoy
Apr 9, 2007, 12:17 AM
I thought the north tower (Condo/hotel) was downsized?

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 9, 2007, 12:43 AM
I thought the north tower (Condo/hotel) was downsized?

I think the proposed height was rejected, but it's still early in the game. We'll have to wait and see.

Epi
Apr 9, 2007, 3:23 AM
Looks great. I know it's a box, but you know what? With so many weird designs out there, sometimes it's just nice to have a very nice and standard look that will still be in style 50 years from now.

401_King
Apr 9, 2007, 3:38 AM
it adds bulk to the core, im not complaining.

caltrane74
Apr 9, 2007, 1:43 PM
You know this building fills the hole in the skyline between SP/FCP and midtown. The skyline just drops off after the Scotiaplaza when viewed from the East. And it just drops off after FCP when viewed from the West.

koops65
Apr 9, 2007, 2:00 PM
A box is fine with me, since not all the new building projects will be boxes. At least its a 200+ metre tall box.:)

miketoronto
Apr 9, 2007, 2:12 PM
I can't scan it, but I have a pic of the first design from the early 90's. It had a spire, and a pointed roof, etc. It looks really nice. Almost looked like Liberty Place in Philly, with less stepbacks.

Snashcan
Apr 9, 2007, 3:28 PM
Pretty awesome. Honestly though, I really don't like all the greenspace around the towers.

Ya there is not enough Greenspace around it.....One thing the downtown is seriously lacking is GreenSpace

MonkeyRonin
Apr 9, 2007, 4:00 PM
Ya there is not enough Greenspace around it.....One thing the downtown is seriously lacking is GreenSpace

When in the core, I like nothing but unadulterated urbanity. But a park is still fine, I just don't really like the design of these little parks. (something more "classic", like a small scale Queen's Park)

ssiguy
Apr 9, 2007, 5:04 PM
I wish I was an architect in Toronto. Making all those bega-bucks just to design a box.

Taller Better
Apr 9, 2007, 5:49 PM
I wish I was an architect in Toronto. Making all those bega-bucks just to design a box.

Hey, you can make mega bucks back in Vancouver, too! Just learn how to source green or blue glass for cladding and you can build for eternity just using the same building plans over and over and over!!! :)

vegeta_skyline
Apr 9, 2007, 7:01 PM
Its a nice building in and of itself.
However, I just can't stand having another conservative styled building going up when it could of been so much more.

We already have enough tall square buildings in this city - TD center, Commence Court, FCP.
Individually their fine but as a whole, its rather bland.
But of course aesthetics are not what really matters in the end.

caltrane74
Apr 9, 2007, 8:20 PM
I can't scan it, but I have a pic of the first design from the early 90's. It had a spire, and a pointed roof, etc. It looks really nice. Almost looked like Liberty Place in Philly, with less stepbacks.

I prefer this concept better than that 90's garbage that had been previously proposed.

CMD UW
Apr 9, 2007, 9:04 PM
Hey, you can make mega bucks back in Vancouver, too! Just learn how to source green or blue glass for cladding and you can build for eternity just using the same building plans over and over and over!!! :)
Haha....zzzzing.

Calgarian
Apr 9, 2007, 9:11 PM
meh, nothing special about this one.

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 9, 2007, 9:16 PM
I prefer this concept better than that 90's garbage that had been previously proposed.

Agreed. The original proposal was ugly.

Taller Better
Apr 9, 2007, 11:04 PM
The original concept was PoMo, and many, many PoMo creations look tiresome now as they were built as novelty designs. I am glad they never built the original proposal.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 10, 2007, 4:31 AM
Agreed, I hate PoMo and I can't believe how many people still get excited over designs that would have looked dated 10 years ago let alone passing them off as a current design style. I Bloor East 1 and 2, and Penny Lane 2 come to mind. If something is going to be large, I'd rather have boring and safe then a big hey look at me in my Seafoam tux < fun for a night but not for long term.

Taller Better
Apr 10, 2007, 5:44 PM
Mmmm...Seafoam Wedding outfits... it is all coming back!!! I was in Niagara Falls on the weekend and stayed at a 1950's motel in the thick of the action. The bathroom set was Turquoise!!:D

Coldrsx
Apr 10, 2007, 6:18 PM
i love it....feels so NYC, simple...classic...timeless.

tradlak
Apr 10, 2007, 7:06 PM
Another boring box. Yes, they can't all be the belle of the ball, but this one is a plain wall flower. Hopefully they might consider some interesting rooftop lighting or something.

caltrane74
Apr 10, 2007, 7:13 PM
rooftop lighting? This baby will be lit head to toe in LED Lights....

Should be rather pretty when complete.

Taller Better
Apr 10, 2007, 7:43 PM
The lighting might be very cool... it is being done by an artist, too, so there is a good chance it will be nice.

CMD UW
Apr 11, 2007, 5:16 AM
I agree, lighting will be sweet.

Big Daddy
Apr 13, 2007, 4:02 AM
I agree, it is just another "box". Toronto architecture is so boring it’s embarrassing! Unfortunately Canada’s banks rule the roost and they want everything to be the same so they don’t take on any risk. They perpetuate the problem and unless someone like Harry Stinson is successful in putting together a “development Fund”, it will stay this way. Even Trump and company had to go offshore for financing. :(

Big Daddy
Apr 13, 2007, 4:18 AM
Yes it is a three building project but they are only building one tower now the other two won't likely be built until about the same time as the Leafs win the Stanley Cup (ie: don’t hold your breath)

Taller Better
Apr 13, 2007, 5:54 AM
I agree, it is just another "box". Toronto architecture is so boring it’s embarrassing! Unfortunately Canada’s banks rule the roost and they want everything to be the same so they don’t take on any risk. They perpetuate the problem and unless someone like Harry Stinson is successful in putting together a “development Fund”, it will stay this way. Even Trump and company had to go offshore for financing. :(

Baloney. Probably the best examples of international style office towers in Canada were built by the banks, and are in the financial district of Toronto.
You can lump them all in a "boring box" category if you want but that speaks volumes about your degree of knowledge about architecture.

Harry Stinson. Good grief.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 13, 2007, 2:54 PM
Agreed, you killed your argument when you mentioned Harry.

Taller Better
Apr 13, 2007, 3:06 PM
Hmmmm... hates the banks..check. Scornful of Toronto and its architecture.. check. Sees Harry Stinson as
saviour of this sad burgh.. check. Maybe we have a Big Daddy Harry in our midst! :worship:

caltrane74
Apr 13, 2007, 3:30 PM
Yes it is a three building project but they are only building one tower now the other two won't likely be built until about the same time as the Leafs win the Stanley Cup (ie: don’t hold your breath)

If they are built as condo's or hotels...why do you forsee such delay??

OrientExpress
Apr 13, 2007, 5:43 PM
Maybe Leafs will do it next year, with new uniforms.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 13, 2007, 6:44 PM
As the downtown becomes more and more dense, properties will sell much faster then they had a few years back. The hotel may be a stretch, but residential will move fast here being connected to PATH, the Eaton Centre the theatre district and the Entertainment district. As soon as Trump, Ritz, and Shangri-LA are complete I could see the core experience it's own mini residential boom.

zerokarma
Apr 19, 2007, 5:10 PM
Thats pretty cool

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
May 1, 2007, 3:01 AM
First crane is going up tonight :) :tup: