PDA

View Full Version : Minor Pro sports leagues

Dalreg
Apr 7, 2007, 12:31 AM
Well Saskatoon it looks like investors are willing to give it a go in Saskatoon yet again. This time with an IBL team (basketball). Not to mention a soccer league and maybe baseball. Anyone willing to bet on the long term viability?

This from the Star Phoenix today.

Basketball league franchise to open in Saskatoon next March
Kevin Mitchell, The StarPhoenix
Published: Thursday, April 05, 2007
Troy Burns plans on taking professional basketball into a city still sporting scorch marks from past suitors.

The Edmonton-based businessman said Thursday that an International Basketball League franchise will tip off at Saskatoon’s Credit Union Centre next March. He reached a lease agreement with the arena Thursday, though nothing has been signed yet.

“We want the team to be there for a long, long time,” said Burns, who fronts Sports Management Group Ltd. “Looking at the league, talking to the commissioner, we knew it would work in Saskatoon.” His next task is to convince Saskatoon businesspeople and fans, both victimized repeatedly by failed sports ventures, that he’s in for the long-haul.

That won’t be easy.

Saskatoon’s last pro sports disaster was in 2003, when the Canadian Baseball League crashed in mid-season and left piles of creditors who never received their money.

Three different pro basketball teams have played in four different leagues since 1990. Two of those leagues folded in mid-season, and the last team - the Saskatchewan Hawks - died in 2002 after two dysfunctional years.

Burns, whose group also owns an IBL expansion franchise in Edmonton, plans to move into Saskatoon and take a hands-on approach.

He’s currently employed by the Northern League’s Edmonton Cracker Cats as director of corporate sponsorship and new-business development. He also recently landed franchise-ownership rights in the controversy-plagued World Hockey Association, a western junior league unsanctioned by Hockey Canada.

The IBL is entering its third season and has 26 teams, all south of the border. The low-budget league works itself around geographic clusters and guarantees that no team will have more than one air-travel trip per season.

The league hopes to have at least three Canadian franchises next season; Burns’ teams in Saskatoon and Edmonton, and another in Calgary. They’re trying to finalize a deal with that owner.

IBL commissioner Mikal Duilio was traveling Thursday and couldn’t be reached for comment.

“Looking at Saskatoon, we saw what happened in the past,” Burns said. “I want to meet with the business community and potential sponsors, show them what we’re going to do. We’re hoping we’ll be able to talk to them, and tell them how we’re different from past owners who have been there.

“Anywhere you go, you’re going to have a little bit of resistance. They’re going to be skeptical. But sports marketing is my background, and hopefully we’ll be able to win them over.” Burns enters Saskatoon’s sports marketplace at an interesting time. The Canadian Major Indoor Soccer League plans to play here starting in September, and the Northern League is looking for somebody interested in owning a local baseball franchise.

IBL teams run budgets in the $100,000 range, and Burns said players in smaller-market areas might earn salaries starting at $100 to $300 per game.

He said he hopes to sign five or six Canadian players onto his teams, including those who played university hoops in Canada.

His targeted attendance is 3,000 to 4,000 per game during 12 home contests.

The league’s average attendance through two seasons is listed at 700.

“I’m dead serious about this,” Burns said. “I want to make it work. I feel fans there have been cheated by the past leagues they’ve been in. It all comes down to the business plan.”

kmitchell@sp.canwest.com

newflyer
Apr 7, 2007, 1:12 AM
ToonTown needs to get some kind of minor pro league. I heard that it may be in line to get a Nortern League baseball team. It just needs a stadium.

Get a few million together and you guys could be kickin back summer evenings watching your very own ballteam.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5791/playingfieldjj1.jpg

http://www.northernleague.com/

Dalreg
Apr 7, 2007, 7:03 AM
ToonTown needs to get some kind of minor pro league. I heard that it may be in line to get a Nortern League baseball team. It just needs a stadium.

Get a few million together and you guys could be kickin back summer evenings watching your very own ballteam.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5791/playingfieldjj1.jpg

http://www.northernleague.com/

Kind of funny that the photo you posted is of Winnipeg? What about Calgary's stadium?

newflyer
Apr 7, 2007, 7:27 AM
Kind of funny that the photo you posted is of Winnipeg? What about Calgary's stadium?

Sorry Calgary's stadium is a hole.

Winnipeg's stadium is amazing .. for a minor league park. Its has so much character .. and its only a few years old. I would incourage anyone going to the Peg in the summer to go check it out. Catch a Goldeyes games and you'll be impressed.

By the way the pic was taken before the stadium was expanded by a 1500 seats and restaurant overlooking the playing field.

trueviking
Apr 7, 2007, 7:33 AM
http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/canwest2.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9744/untitled1am4.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1124/downtown69cn1.jpg

newflyer
Apr 7, 2007, 7:38 AM
[img]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9744/untitled1am4.jpg

Waterfront is looking good.

The elevated rail line adds an interesting touch to the ballpark.

Dalreg
Apr 7, 2007, 7:54 AM
I wish Saskatoon could do something like that.

But can Saskatoon support minor pro leagues of any type? We have been burned so many times before that the people will probably be gun shy for a year or two. Can anyone who comes in, finance a team out of their own pockets until the people turn out?

newflyer
Apr 7, 2007, 8:02 AM

But can Saskatoon support minor pro leagues of any type? We have been burned so many times before that the people will probably be gun shy for a year or two. Can anyone who comes in, finance a team out of their own pockets until the people turn out?

The league has a stadium requirement. Calgary had to upgrade its stadium .. as the Cannons were playing in a gutter. It is vastly improved but still the poorest stadium in the league.

If Saskatoon wants to attract some form a pro-league baseball it needs a stadium. The reason the CBL died was it didn't have stadiums lined up.

The Winnipeg ballpark is a dream come true. Summer evening watching the game and then stroll to the Forks for a beer. It definately improves the livability of downtown.

macca
Apr 7, 2007, 5:46 PM
I supported the hell out of the Storm, Slam and Hawks when they were in town, and was sad to see each one go. I will attend as many basketball games as I can, and may consider season tickets. Just give us a team that will stay around for the long haul, and I'm there.

bomberguy
Apr 7, 2007, 8:11 PM
I'm hoping Winnipeg gets a Basketball team.

newflyer
Apr 7, 2007, 11:55 PM
I'm hoping Winnipeg gets a Basketball team.

Yeah .. I heard rumours of some type of NBA minor league team. That would be pretty cool.

newflyer
Apr 8, 2007, 12:12 AM
How about an Arena football?? .. would it fly in Winnipeg?

Winnipeg would qualify for an AFL2 team for sure... if there was fan interest.

Dalreg
Apr 8, 2007, 1:03 AM
I supported the hell out of the Storm, Slam and Hawks when they were in town, and was sad to see each one go. I will attend as many basketball games as I can, and may consider season tickets. Just give us a team that will stay around for the long haul, and I'm there.

I supported the storm and slam as well. But this time how many people can be expected to show up for another young developing league, with no proven track record?

bomberguy
Apr 8, 2007, 2:58 AM
Yeah .. I heard rumours of some type of NBA minor league team. That would be pretty cool.

Yup, NBDL.
I'd soooo buy season tickets.

bomberguy
Apr 8, 2007, 2:59 AM
How about an Arena football?? .. would it fly in Winnipeg?

Winnipeg would qualify for an AFL2 team for sure... if there was fan interest.

I don't know if that will succeed having the blue bombers around. (afl sucks btw ;))
but you never know...

newflyer
Apr 8, 2007, 6:38 PM
I don't know if that will succeed having the blue bombers around. (afl sucks btw ;))
but you never know...

Maybe... although if a team did come I would expect the Bombers to be part owners.

It wouldn't compete directly as AFL is a spring league and is over by the time the CFL begins. If they can draw 5 - 7000 fans a game it would be a viable operation.

newflyer
Apr 8, 2007, 6:40 PM
Yup, NBDL.
I'd soooo buy season tickets.

Yeah I'd very very interested as well. :D

Carlton
Apr 16, 2007, 7:11 PM
Winnipeg is getting an NBDL team? That would be great news seeing how it's AAA basketball unlike all the other teams in leagues we had in the past. The quality of Basketball is much better.

macca
May 1, 2007, 4:46 PM
An article in the SP today says an IBL franchise in Saskatoon is unlikely because the proposed owner is not very credible and the league won't allow and shady types to run teams. This is both good and bad news. Hopefully we get another team some day, they have always been well supported here.

fengshui
May 1, 2007, 5:28 PM
The IBL failed miserably in Winnipeg more than once I think. Remember Darryl Dawkins? Maybe it was because Earl Barish was involved every time, but more likely because the IBL is run like the CFL.

Boreal
May 1, 2007, 10:43 PM
I would be ecstatic for an NBDL team, and know for a fact, my self, and upwards to 8-12 friends would be instant season ticket holders.

As for the AFL, I'd love it, but the Bombers are this city's one love, and any other football team at a professional level would likely just be boycotted. It'd be great to see though.

newflyer
May 2, 2007, 4:04 AM
As for the AFL, I'd love it, but the Bombers are this city's one love, and any other football team at a professional level would likely just be boycotted. It'd be great to see though.

I doubt that .... football fans need there fix during the spring months. I really don't see an AFL team being any threat to the Bombers. I have even heard that the Bombers were considering becoming involved in a possible ownership group of an arena team. The possibilities of utilizing potencial CFL players and the 3rd and 4th string QB in the spring league could pay dividends for the Bombers.

Boreal
May 2, 2007, 7:34 AM
I agree 110%. If the Bombers could let it be known to all in the capital region that a coming AFL2 team would be there farm team, there would be more interest in that team as it would be a team of future Blue Bombers, offering a sneak preview of what may come at the next level. Of course, the football dividends are huge as you have a more cohesive system for player development. I love it.

Xelebes
May 2, 2007, 4:47 PM

Saskatoon Blades (that's the name right?)

Boreal
May 2, 2007, 8:41 PM
The Baldes are a WHL franchise, which is amateur CHL hockey.

The thread and topic at hand refers to minor-pro, which in most regards is a very different endeavour than amateur sport.

newflyer
May 3, 2007, 1:15 AM
I agree 110%. If the Bombers could let it be known to all in the capital region that a coming AFL2 team would be there farm team, there would be more interest in that team as it would be a team of future Blue Bombers, offering a sneak preview of what may come at the next level. Of course, the football dividends are huge as you have a more cohesive system for player development. I love it.

Yeah thats what I thought .. and an AFL team doesn't require huge attenancet to finance. 5000 a game should do it.