PDA

View Full Version : Midtown Mile

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

dirtybird
Apr 6, 2007, 2:06 PM
Thought I'd start a thread on the topic of the Midtown Mile (I personally don't like the copycat name but I think it's starting to stick :( ):

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/58/70/image_5270581.jpg
"Among the buildings with a retail presence along the 'Midtown Mile' is the Metropolis at Peachtree and Eighth streets. The mile now includes 230,000 square feet of retail."

'Midtown Mile' takes shape
Developers add retail space

By JULIE B. HAIRSTON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/06/07

Efforts to create a "Midtown Mile" filled with upscale stores, restaurants and services are gaining momentum with developers, who are so encouraged by early discussions they are adding new street-level space to their projects.

With the kickoff last week for residential sales in Viewpoint, Novare's newest condo tower at Peachtree and Sixth streets, the company also announced the addition of another 20,000 square feet of retail space along Sixth. That's beyond the 50,000 square feet along Peachtree included in the original design.

square feet of retail space with six restaurants, a bank and a number of boutique shops. Along the entire mile stretching from the Fox Theatre to the Woodruff Arts Center, the district now includes 230,000 square feet of shopping, services and restaurants.

Conor McNally, Novare's developer for Viewpoint, said his negotiations for space in Midtown are generating widespread interest.

"We can really get an extra bang for the buck by adding an extra 20,000 square feet," he said.

And the new space is being designed with different retailers in mind. Novare is creating two-story spaces and courting upscale chains "similar to something you would find in Lenox [Square] or Phipps [Plaza]."

"From Day One, we've tried to create larger spaces than we've done in the past," McNally said.

Viewpoint also will boast a signature corner front at Sixth and Peachtree for its anchor tenant.

Up the street at Peachtree and 10th, Jamestown Properties is proceeding apace with plans for addition of 20,000 square feet to 999 Peachtree, the office building it purchased at the beginning of this year.

"Over the long term, we just think it's a good place to be," said Matt Bronfman, Jamestown's managing director.

Midtown boosters are brimming with optimism that Atlanta's growth, combined with Peachtree's brand recognition, is proving a powerful lure to national retailers looking to cluster in the next hot location.

David Birnbrey, chairman and chief executive of the Shopping Center Group, which brokers space for retail clients, said Midtown's straight, level trajectory makes it a natural setting for retail development.

"One of the beautiful things about Midtown Atlanta," said Birnbrey, who serves on the Midtown Mile Retail Advisory Committee, "is that it's an almost perfect mall."

But more important is Midtown's explosive growth, providing merchants with a ready market of affluent homeowners just a stroll away.

By 2010, according to a study commissioned by the Midtown Alliance and conducted by Buxton Co., more than 13,000 households will be within walking distance of the Midtown Mile and more than 62,000 office workers will spend their workdays in that zone.

More important, Midtown residents will have a median age of 34.8 and a median income above $80,000 annually. Most will be singles or couples without children.

Court Stockton, who moved his H. Stockton shop from downtown Atlanta to 1180 Peachtree last October, said his sales have increased at least 20 percent.

"We just have a lot more walk-in customers," Stockton said. In addition to area residents, Stockton said he gets a lot of business from nearby offices in Atlanta's intown live-work-play community.

"It reminds me of the downtown of the past," Stockton said.

Although Midtown's retail prospects are rising, a pair of real estate economists said its success is not yet sealed.

"The question is will people come," said Suzanne Mulvee, real estate economist with Property and Portfolio Research in Boston. "I would say yes in Atlanta."

Midtown's goal of adding 1 million square feet of retail over the next five years is ambitious, said Clint Myers, also a real estate economist with Property and Portfolio Research. That is the equivalent of building a major new mall.

But he said demographic research shows growing demand for goods and services in Midtown, and national retailers are taking notice.

"We believe there is demand," Myers said. "The depth of the demand is kind of the question."

As far as Midtown Alliance President Susan Mendheim is concerned, that question is long since settled. As the Midtown Blueprint set out decades ago the contours and vision for a revitalized urban district, the second phase aims to satisfy the retail capacity of a district growing daily in sophisticated residents with lots of discretionary income.

"It's not just density," Mendheim said. "The affluence and education of this group is very high."

Mendheim said Midtown developers are in talks with some upscale retailers that will be new to Midtown, and even some that will be new to the city.

"The developers are negotiating with some really exciting brand names, national and international retailers, some of whom are not even in Atlanta right now," she said.

Plans for improved streetscapes and a streetcar system on Peachtree will further entice retailers looking for the next hot shopping destination. So will planned and existing upscale hotels such as W, Palomar and Four Seasons, which attract well-heeled business and leisure travelers to the district, Mendheim said.

Developers are bullish on the retail/residential mix because it boosts the potential cash flow needed for expensive urban construction, Mendheim added.

"Everybody gets it, and everybody knows what it adds to the project," she said.

But retail birds of a feather flock together.

"What it's really going to take is for a handful of retailers to come in and do really well," said Novare's McNally.

And it starts with the first announcement, said Birnbrey. The quest for retail helps to foster cohesion and a strong sense of camaraderie among the developers with projects in Midtown.

"I think all of these developers have come to the realization that if one developer gets a huge retailer, it's a win for all of them," Birnbrey said.

smArTaLlone
Apr 6, 2007, 3:28 PM
Exciting to see things begin to take shape. I did notice that 12th and Midtown is now advertising 300k sf of retail which is double what they originally stated would be contained in the project.

Trae
Apr 6, 2007, 4:30 PM
Atlanta is not the only city being discussed in this section (for all of the South). Maybe you should put Atlanta in the title.

Hybrid0NE
Apr 7, 2007, 4:28 AM
I've wondered why the city is exclusively courting upscale retail for the "Midtown Mile"? I don't think everyone in that trade area only wants the likes of Jimmy Choo, Versace, etc. when it comes to shopping. Guess Atlantic Station serves that purpose...

jason21atl
Apr 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
Being a resident of Midtown, I would much rather see more practical retail than upscale retail. A Crate and Barrel would be great, a nice bookstore, maybe an electornics store like Best Buy, Dean and Deluca, music store, Apple Store, etc. In the smaller retail spots, I'd rather see some places that are more affordable than the stores going to Buckhead.....stuff more along the lines of Club Monaco, Banana Republic, Express, etc. Probably not likely since some of them already have stores at Atlantic Station. Let Buckhead have the expensive boutiques (they already do it and they do it well) and let Midtown be a little more trendy/casual.

smArTaLlone
Apr 7, 2007, 1:13 PM
I think you guys are thinking more of exclusive stores rather than "upscale". There are only a few Prada's and Vesace's in the world. An Apple or Crate and Barrel are exactly the kind of stores that'll go into Midtown.

dirtybird
Apr 7, 2007, 1:18 PM
Atlanta is the only city being discussed in this section (for all of the South). Maybe you should put Atlanta in the title.

Your right. Sometimes I get a little Atlanta-centric and forget.

I just tried to edit the title but it won't allow it. Anybody know how I can do that?

dirtybird
Apr 7, 2007, 1:23 PM
Being a resident of Midtown, I would much rather see more practical retail than upscale retail...In the smaller retail spots, I'd rather see some places that are more affordable than the stores going to Buckhead...

I would too. An Apple store or H&M (hope they don't go to Atlantic Station) would bring in ten times more foot traffic to Midtown than a Gucci or Prada store.

MidtownMile
Apr 7, 2007, 4:08 PM
Absolutely, and it would provide a complement. I would sooner see very similar stores to what sits on the actual line of Michigan Ave. in Chicago. BR, Gap, Crate & Barrel, Ann Taylor, etc., mixed with some other upper scale (Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, etc.). I think a couple high ends will come in eventually, but I think the pradas, guccis, etc. will go to the Buckhead Avenues section first. Atlanta's retail sector is big enough to support those stores, but Atlanta is not set up for those to be truly in-town stores as they are in NY and LA. It would make more sense in Buckhead for a number of reasons.

holladay
Apr 8, 2007, 12:29 AM
It's a shame that people are wishing for chains to come in and take over Peachtree. I know it isn't likely to expect genuine local entrepreneurship but I kinda get sick of every city having the same retailers. It essentially equates to a suburban mall that just happens to be on a real street.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 8, 2007, 4:43 AM
A retail destination needs well known chains to be successful. It's nice to think about having unique, locally owned shops, but in reality they won't draw enough shoppers to stay in business. It would be nice to get a mix of locally owned with national chains. I mean, there's nothing wrong with Banana Republic and Old Navy - I like stores like those. The area has to have stores that will create enough traffic to get people there, then they can all benefit from it.

holladay
Apr 8, 2007, 4:57 AM
Yeah, I know you're right. It's a branded world. Whaddya gonna do?

mayhem
Apr 8, 2007, 5:11 AM
A retail destination needs well known chains to be successful. It's nice to think about having unique, locally owned shops, but in reality they won't draw enough shoppers to stay in business.

Little 5 points.
Greenwich village.

It would be nice to get a mix of locally owned with national chains. I mean, there's nothing wrong with Banana Republic and Old Navy - I like stores like those. The area has to have stores that will create enough traffic to get people there, then they can all benefit from it.

Agreed :)

joey
Apr 8, 2007, 6:07 AM
Greenwich village.

Central Greenwich Village is mostly restaurants and little grocery stores. Not exactly boutiquey.

Where there is sizable retail there, it's 90% chain stores (Crate and Barrel, Sisley, Best Buy, etc.), especially at its edges along Broadway and 6th Avenue.

SoHo, on the other hand, has a lot of independent boutiques. But, mixed in are plenty of chains.

mayhem
Apr 8, 2007, 4:25 PM
Central Greenwich Village is mostly restaurants and little grocery stores. Not exactly boutiquey.

Where there is sizable retail there, it's 90% chain stores (Crate and Barrel, Sisley, Best Buy, etc.), especially at its edges along Broadway and 6th Avenue.

SoHo, on the other hand, has a lot of independent boutiques. But, mixed in are plenty of chains.

From where I have been in the village, it was all independent stores. No one said it had to be boutiques ;)

dirtybird
Apr 8, 2007, 4:41 PM

That's the probem common with retail in any city. Even though there are independent boutiques, we just notice the chains. Soho feels very chain-y to me even though I'm sure there are plenty of boutiques in between them.

Just like right now in Midtown, there are already plenty of retail (all independent or small) that no one talks about. Fab' rik, Red, H. Stockton, Yes, Universal Gear, Kiss, Interior Dimensions, Space, Twelve, etc. There's no brand recognition with these store so no one notices. But when the national retailers come in, people will say Midtown is just filled with chains.

MidtownMile
Apr 8, 2007, 6:10 PM
What actually could prove very good for Atlanta is if some anchors came in with these current botiques. The stores in Midtown are actually quite good. And, some of them would have the potential to expand with enough business and recognition. If we got a Crate & Barrel, H&M, and other "larger" (physically) chains and a few of the staples, I really think this whole area will take off. I also think it will only take 2 or 3 of these to take the foot traffic to another level.

joey
Apr 8, 2007, 7:35 PM
If we got a Crate & Barrel, H&M, and other "larger" (physically) chains and a few of the staples, I really think this whole area will take off.

Well, Office Depot already opened another store on Spring Street . . . I think a Staples in the area may be overkill.

cabasse
Apr 8, 2007, 8:16 PM
If we got a Crate & Barrel, H&M, and other "larger" (physically) chains and a few of the staples, I really think this whole area will take off.Well, Office Depot already opened another store on Spring Street . . . I think a Staples in the area may be overkill.

wah wah waaaah.

staples of retail, not the chain; but you were joking... right?

but of course. i'll disappear now.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 8, 2007, 10:03 PM
staples....like basics. :)

joey
Apr 9, 2007, 1:59 AM
staples....like basics. :)

Wait, I don't follow.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 9, 2007, 2:27 AM
Okay...food staples are milk, eggs, bread, etc. Retail staples would be The Gap, The Limited, Banana Republic, etc.

joey
Apr 9, 2007, 3:23 AM
Okay, I'll end it here. I was kidding (I was in a strange mood), and I continued it because it wasn't readily apparent to some that I was kidding.

And, Cabasse, the better response is:

Ba dump bum dump, tsssssshhh

Ha ha ha. Back to the normal program.

MidtownMile
Apr 9, 2007, 7:13 AM
We really need a universal symbol for that drum/cymbal riff.

ThrashATL
Apr 9, 2007, 11:13 AM
What the Midtown Mile needs is a Joe Muggs newstand. Big sucker on a corner with tables at the windows for the coffe shop. A gazillion newspapers and magazines from around the world. Borders & BandN are just too big and impersonal for the MM.

Terminus
Apr 9, 2007, 11:48 AM
What the Midtown Mile needs is a Joe Muggs newstand. Big sucker on a corner with tables at the windows for the coffe shop. A gazillion newspapers and magazines from around the world. Borders & BandN are just too big and impersonal for the MM.

It had one at Peachtree and 8th. It went out of business.

cokezero
Apr 9, 2007, 4:15 PM
It had one at Peachtree and 8th. It went out of business.

For those of you familiar with that area, it was located in the former Wolf Camera space before Wolf.

atlantaguy
Apr 9, 2007, 4:17 PM
Do you guys think perhaps Joe Mugg's was a little ahead of it's time there? I seem to remember some complaint about not enough parking.

SAV
Apr 9, 2007, 4:17 PM
ok, let me get this straight

We are going to have lenox and phipps in Buckhead on the Northern section of Peachtree. THese malls are now getting new stores

THEN, a couple of blocks down the road we are getting even more upscale shops in Buckhead ( buckhead avenues)

THEN, we are getting stores similar to the ones in Lenox and Phipps in Midtown

AND, all of them are upscale,high-end, extra expensive

Thats a lot of expensive stuff to support. I hope Atlanta can do this in 10 years

Does New York or L.A. or any other big city has this much high end retail in such a small radius

atlantaguy
Apr 9, 2007, 4:28 PM
SAV - I really don't think Midtown is actually seeking ultra high-end retail, but I could be wrong. I would not be surprised to see a little bit sprinkled in here & there, but the really ultra stuff will most certainly go to Buckhead Avenues and the new area going up in Alpharetta (Prospect Park).

I think we can expect to see Midtown attracting things that have been mentioned previously, like Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Sur la Table, H&M, Apple, Sony, etc. mixed in with local merchants that provide more of the day to day needs of the neighborhood.........but who knows? At any rate, the retail appetite in this town seems to be voracious, so I'm pretty sure just about anything will be supported if it's in the right location. If the Midtown Mile takes off they way everyone seems to expect it will, I really would not be shocked to see something like a Kohl's, or a smallish Macy's to join the lineup.

MidtownMile
Apr 9, 2007, 7:44 PM
SAV - I really don't think Midtown is actually seeking ultra high-end retail, but I could be wrong. I would not be surprised to see a little bit sprinkled in here & there, but the really ultra stuff will most certainly go to Buckhead Avenues and the new area going up in Alpharetta (Prospect Park).

I think we can expect to see Midtown attracting things that have been mentioned previously, like Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Sur la Table, H&M, Apple, Sony, etc. mixed in with local merchants that provide more of the day to day needs of the neighborhood.........but who knows? At any rate, the retail appetite in this town seems to be voracious, so I'm pretty sure just about anything will be supported if it's in the right location. If the Midtown Mile takes off they way everyone seems to expect it will, I really would not be shocked to see something like a Kohl's, or a smallish Macy's to join the lineup.

I think (hope?) you are right, atlantaguy. It seems at one time Midtown had grand dreams of attracting Prada and the like, but those will go to the Avenues first. I would put money on that. Midtown would likely serve the Yuppie crowd a bit more. Nice but affordable, exclusive but not ultra high-end stores. I think your list is great. I also think it showcases the more lifestyle-oriented stores where you go to furnish your condo, get a jacket to wear to the office, and fix your iPod. While they are destination for tourists, they also serve as a lifeline of sorts for the residents. That would be Midtown's niche (sort of a larger extension of Atlantic Station's current role).

jobe
Apr 10, 2007, 5:50 PM
Checked out the viewpoint site today and it looks like they've added a virtual tour.

Broccoli
Apr 10, 2007, 8:52 PM
I just read an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that says Viewpoint increasing their retail from 30,000 square feet to 50,000 square feet. :tup:

Page 13A of the April 6-12 edition.

cokezero
Apr 11, 2007, 12:30 AM
I just read an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that says Viewpoint increasing their retail from 30,000 square feet to 50,000 square feet. :tup:

Page 13A of the April 6-12 edition.

ABC accurately reported what happened, although you mis-summarized the ABC's report and essentially quoted what was said in an AJC article last week.

Novare always intended to include 50,000 SF of retail at ViewPoint. The 30,000 SF along Peachtree was planned to be built with the Phase I residential tower. An additional 20,000 SF along 6th Street was planned to be built with the Phase II residential tower. For a variety of reasons, Novare announced last week that they have decided to go ahead and build all 50,000 SF of retail with the first residential tower.

Novare claimed that they decided to go ahead and build all of the retail now because of the significant interest they've received in the space. However, I think the true story is that although the demand for their retail space isn't as much as they were hoping, they realized that the demand for the second phase retail phase is likely to materialize a lot sooner than the demand for the second residential tower to be built. I also believe it may have simply been a PR stunt to get an article written about their residential sales office opening (they may have decided months ago to build all 50,000 SF now, but wanted to wait until their condo sales office opened to announce this in order to generate buzz about their project).

But either way, to clear things up - the AJC is wrong, the amount of retail space being built at ViewPoint is not increasing. Novare has simply decided to build it all in one phase.

Broccoli
Apr 11, 2007, 1:01 AM
Oops, sorry for the mixup... I thought there was now more retail than originally planned. :dunce:

cokezero
Apr 11, 2007, 1:30 AM
Oops, sorry for the mixup... I thought there was now more retail than originally planned. :dunce:

No need to apologize. Sorry if my response came across as soliciting one!! I just wanted to set the record straight - Novare, in my opinion, was just trying to generate false hype for their project!

The AJC bought into the hype and wrote a one page article last week about how the Midtown Mile was already such a booming success that Novare decided to build an additional 20,000 SF of retail space, without verifying the source of their information. The ABC's print edition the following day accurately reported on what Novare was doing - simply building their retail space faster than originally planned!

cokezero
Apr 11, 2007, 1:52 AM
What does everyone think about Midtown's chances for landing an "anchor" store along the lines of a Macy's or a Target for their Midtown Mile?

The only likely place I believe one could be built is on Dewberry's 10th and Peachtree Street site. Every other sizeable tract along the Midtown Mile is either developed or in the process of being developed.

However, every traditional department store chain in the Atlanta area is already represented at Peachtree and Lenox (with the exception of Sear's and JCPenney, but Sear's has transformed into nothing more than a real estate holding company and I can't imagine JCPenney seriously considering a non-mall or lifestyle center location). Macy's already failed once, so I can't imagine them ever seriously considering another try at Peachtree Street for Macy's or their sister chain Bloomingdale's. Would any of the other stores in Buckhead (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Belk/Parisian, Saks) consider opening another location in Midtown?

I'd say no, none of the Buckhead department stores would consider opening an additional store in Midtown. So then that would leave us with only big box retailers as potential anchors. In my opinion, Target is already cannibalizing itself with so many intown stores (North Buckhead, South Buckhead, Edgewood, and Atlantic Station) and wouldn't be interested. Wal-Mart, wih only one intown store, could be a possibility and would probably be a big draw. But with Wal-Mart being everyone's favorite big box to hate, I'm sure NPU-E and the Midtown Alliance would do everything they could to keep them off Peachtree.

So then what? Can the Midtown Mile be this world-class shopping destination everyone is envisioning if it only has the likes of a Gap and a Crate & Barrell? Or better yet, will those chains even open a store on Peachtree without an anchor or two nearby?

Terminus
Apr 11, 2007, 3:25 AM
What does everyone think about Midtown's chances for landing an "anchor" store along the lines of a Macy's or a Target for their Midtown Mile?

The only likely place I believe one could be built is on Dewberry's 10th and Peachtree Street site. Every other sizeable tract along the Midtown Mile is either developed or in the process of being developed.

However, every traditional department store chain in the Atlanta area is already represented at Peachtree and Lenox (with the exception of Sear's and JCPenney, but Sear's has transformed into nothing more than a real estate holding company and I can't imagine JCPenney seriously considering a non-mall or lifestyle center location). Macy's already failed once, so I can't imagine them ever seriously considering another try at Peachtree Street for Macy's or their sister chain Bloomingdale's. Would any of the other stores in Buckhead (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Belk/Parisian, Saks) consider opening another location in Midtown?

I'd say no, none of the Buckhead department stores would consider opening an additional store in Midtown. So then that would leave us with only big box retailers as potential anchors. In my opinion, Target is already cannibalizing itself with so many intown stores (North Buckhead, South Buckhead, Edgewood, and Atlantic Station) and wouldn't be interested. Wal-Mart, wih only one intown store, could be a possibility and would probably be a big draw. But with Wal-Mart being everyone's favorite big box to hate, I'm sure NPU-E and the Midtown Alliance would do everything they could to keep them off Peachtree.

So then what? Can the Midtown Mile be this world-class shopping destination everyone is envisioning if it only has the likes of a Gap and a Crate & Barrell? Or better yet, will those chains even open a store on Peachtree without an anchor or two nearby?

Markets and competition notwithstanding, it is virtually impossible for traditional department stores today to be created in any urban environment for several reasons. The biggest reason being that they typically pay very little rent, so a free-standing department store (or one on the ground floor of an office or condo buildings is really a money loser unless: a) there is some sort of public subsidy, or b) the developer of said project owners a lot of street level retail nearby and can justify raising the rents on the in-line stores to subsidize the department store (which theoretically will make the other retailers more valuable.

One scenario where it could possibly work without public subsidies is if somebody like Selig, who owns several adjacent blocks and takes a long-term perspective, were to put one in. Essentially, it would be on par to creating an urban mall financing mechanism and it MAY be viable.

The most likely option would be a large-scale vertical retail center similar to Water Tower Place in Chicago. In this case, the big store could by subsidized by the smaller ones around it and within the same project.

I don't think Midtown needs a department store anchor. There are many junior anchors or shadow anchors that could and will work just as well.

These are the very same reasons why we'll probably never get a traditional department store in the former Macy*s space in Downtown. Without public support, no developer in their right mind will lease to a store at the terms the store would want. The only viable option might be something like Wal-Mart or Targer, which are actually used to paying rent.

Fiorenza
Apr 11, 2007, 4:30 AM
Terminus, do you have any thought about what the new owner of the of the Macy's building might be planning? My best guess would be that he bought it for next to nothing and plans to sit on it for two or three years and wait for opportunities. He appears to be an investor, not a developer.

shanthemanatl
Apr 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
Terminus, do you have any thought about what the new owner of the of the Macy's building might be planning? My best guess would be that he bought it for next to nothing and plans to sit on it for two or three years and wait for opportunities. He appears to be an investor, not a developer.

I still think an Atlanta version of NYC's Chelsea Market, or a "downtown" version of the Dekalb Farmer's Market would be an awesome idea for the old Macy's building.

Fiorenza
Apr 11, 2007, 2:08 PM
Hopefully tending to upscale, publicized and attractive for CP, GWCC and AmericasMart visitors, with some well-maintained multimedia and display common areas. There's plenty of parking space for the locals as well.

I'm sorry Cousins didn't acquire and develop it as a multilevel "Avenue".

MidtownMile
Apr 11, 2007, 6:09 PM
I still think an Atlanta version of NYC's Chelsea Market, or a "downtown" version of the Dekalb Farmer's Market would be an awesome idea for the old Macy's building.

I think that would be a great idea in concept, but downtown doesn't have the residential force to support the actual market like that. Now, I think SoNo might be a wonderful use of this concept.

mayhem
Apr 11, 2007, 6:12 PM
I think that would be a great idea in concept, but downtown doesn't have the residential force to support the actual market like that. Now, I think SoNo might be a wonderful use of this concept.

You mean like Sweet Auburn market?

shanthemanatl
Apr 11, 2007, 7:43 PM

I would agree that Downtown doesn't currently have the residential numbers to support it, but I would think that a combination of tourists, conventioneers, residents, and daytime office workers might support it until more people move Downtown.

As for SoNo, that would rock, since I live there!

whoDean
Apr 11, 2007, 8:11 PM
How does Midtown's per capita income in 1 and 3 mile radii compare to Buckhead's?

This is the real number that any potential retailers are interested in.

Tombstoner
Apr 11, 2007, 10:12 PM
I would agree that Downtown doesn't currently have the residential numbers to support it, but I would think that a combination of tourists, conventioneers, residents, and daytime office workers might support it until more people move Downtown.

yeah, if it was like the Strip District in Pittsburgh or the Reading Terminal Market in Philly it would both support whatever residential population there is as well as be a tourist attraction if you got high quality (not plastic could-be-anywhere), shops/produce stalls/lunch counters with genuine Atlanta connections. What Sweet Auburn was meant to be, I think.

Fiorenza
Apr 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
Let's pitch it to the new owner.

Terminus
Apr 11, 2007, 11:49 PM
How does Midtown's per capita income in 1 and 3 mile radii compare to Buckhead's?

This is the real number that any potential retailers are interested in.

Here's an overview of the Midtown trade area:

http://www.midtownmile.com/trade_area.html

And here are some for Downtown:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/DoingBusiness_Downtown_Glance.asp

I believe there's also some good retail market information in the report at:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/ImagineDowntownIntro.asp

From everything I've heard,Downtown/Midtown are statically some of the most under-retailed urban areas in the nation.

MidtownMile
Apr 12, 2007, 5:32 AM
You mean like Sweet Auburn market?

Yes and no. Sweet Auburn is outstanding. It is such a great farmers' market-type installation. I think there is potential to have another similar area with more international or higher-end culinary wares. Having a culinary destination area like that (with a combination of markets) could actually be a wonderful defining aspect for these regions of Atlanta. It also would serve to promote both the culinary and cosmopolitan reputation of the city. We've got some great chefs that love to discuss their ideas and work. Why not reward them with a place where they can meet their customers and truly get creative with a plethora of items right in front of them.

whoDean
Apr 12, 2007, 1:36 PM
Here's an overview of the Midtown trade area:

http://www.midtownmile.com/trade_area.html

And here are some for Downtown:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/DoingBusiness_Downtown_Glance.asp

I believe there's also some good retail market information in the report at:

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/ImagineDowntownIntro.asp

From everything I've heard,Downtown/Midtown are statically some of the most under-retailed urban areas in the nation.

Great info, how does the $81K Average HH income compare to Buckhead? (For comparison to see if high-end retailers would prefer a buckhead or midtown location if forced to choose).

Also, what the heck is Psychographic Segmentation?

shanthemanatl
Apr 12, 2007, 1:38 PM
Let's pitch it to the new owner.

I'm there, man!

Tombstoner
Apr 12, 2007, 3:51 PM
Yes and no. Sweet Auburn is outstanding. It is such a great farmers' market-type installation. I think there is potential to have another similar area with more international or higher-end culinary wares. Having a culinary destination area like that (with a combination of markets) could actually be a wonderful defining aspect for these regions of Atlanta. It also would serve to promote both the culinary and cosmopolitan reputation of the city. We've got some great chefs that love to discuss their ideas and work. Why not reward them with a place where they can meet their customers and truly get creative with a plethora of items right in front of them.

Great idea. Is the Food Network based here in ATL? Some interesting possibilities...

DonTallPaul
Apr 12, 2007, 4:25 PM
Great idea. Is the Food Network based here in ATL? Some interesting possibilities...

Pretty sure the network is based out of New York. However, I can name at least one popular Chef on their network that is from Atlanta (and filsm regularly here), and another from Savannah. There may be even more, but I'm just not that into food network. Good Eats is the shit though.

tdawg
Apr 12, 2007, 4:44 PM
Food Network's HQ is in the Chelsea Market building near the Meatpacking District. Paula Deen is from Savannah and tapes her show from there. Tyler Florence is from Greenville, South Carolina. i don't know what Atlanta chef you are thinking of. Who is it?

Harry Cane
Apr 12, 2007, 5:10 PM
It's Alton Brown!!!!!

I've bumped into him a couple of times.

shanthemanatl
Apr 12, 2007, 5:26 PM
Food Network's HQ is in the Chelsea Market building near the Meatpacking District. Paula Deen is from Savannah and tapes her show from there. Tyler Florence is from Greenville, South Carolina. i don't know what Atlanta chef you are thinking of. Who is it?

I think Paula actually does the bulk of her filming in her home in Savannah now. I remember her mentioning on one of her shows that the kitchen in her new home was specifically designed with the idea in mind that she could shoot more episodes right there in Savannah.

BTW, Alton Brown's show just won a Peabody Award....very prestigious!

ThrashATL
Apr 12, 2007, 6:04 PM
It's Alton Brown!!!!!

I've bumped into him a couple of times.

Every once in awhile, you see them filming at Harry's Farmers Market in Roswell.

tdawg
Apr 12, 2007, 7:09 PM
I love me some Paula Deen! My boyfriend and I are addicted to her. She seems so generally warm and funny and i love her little cackle/laugh.

galaca
Apr 12, 2007, 7:30 PM
Alton Brown is awesome. I love how he gives you the "science" behind cooking. One FN "chef" I cant stand, however, is Sooondra Llllee and her wretched "food" kreations. :yuck:

For the Midtown Mile, does anyone know if something is planned at the Federal Reserve. I know they probably wont allow any construction there, but can something be done to minimze this huge break in the street wall? I think a really attractive fence could be put up (to sort of give people something to "push" back on) or is that totally anti-urban?

GThomas
Apr 12, 2007, 7:48 PM
For the Midtown Mile, does anyone know if something is planned at the Federal Reserve. I know they probably wont allow any construction there, but can something be done to minimze this huge break in the street wall? I think a really attractive fence could be put up (to sort of give people something to "push" back on) or is that totally anti-urban?

Perhaps there could be a marketplace with street-vendors and such. It could be a small performance area with dancing/musical performers, or a place where public demonstrations (like the tobacco "truth" ads or something) are held. If there is enough pedestrian traffic, I could see this space being put to good use. Don't know how protective they are of that space though. It seems that after the majority of Peachtree is developed in this area (with buildings/stores up to the street), this open space might be valued and could be put to great use.

cokezero
Apr 12, 2007, 8:28 PM
Perhaps there could be a marketplace with street-vendors and such. It could be a small performance area with dancing/musical performers, or a place where public demonstrations (like the tobacco "truth" ads or something) are held. If there is enough pedestrian traffic, I could see this space being put to good use. Don't know how protective they are of that space though. It seems that after the majority of Peachtree is developed in this area (with buildings/stores up to the street), this open space might be valued and could be put to great use.

I would bet that the feds have very strict requirements about access to their buildings and their proximity to the road after the OK City bombing in 1995. The Federal Reserve was built so far back from Peachtree for a reason, and I am sure the aftermath of the OKC bombing played a big role in determining the building's placement on the site. With that said, I would bet that there is little they will let "us" do to utilize all that wasted space along Peachtree.

For all we know, the U.S. government might have had a significantly worse original plan for that site and the plaza in front of the Federal Reserve building may actually be the result of some type of compromise with the Midtown Alliance. Terminus - what do you know about the history of that project?

Rather than trying to do something with the Reserve building, I feel that the Midtown Alliance would have a much better chance convincing the federal government of the benefits of selling their anti-urban FDA building at Peachtree and 8th to a private developer and should focus any efforts with the feds on that.

RobMidtowner
Apr 12, 2007, 8:32 PM
Even though it won't be a row of storefronts, I don't think it's all that bad. At least it has a park and greenspace...this could potentially be a place for people to go relax between shopping and dinner for example.

GNofAtlanta
Apr 12, 2007, 8:35 PM
From Midtown Alliance:

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Docum...Tour_07_04.pdf

Not much new EXCEPT a picture of the added retail to 999 Peachtree (#21) and a picture of the new Mandarin Hotel (#13)!

Trae
Apr 12, 2007, 8:40 PM
From Midtown Alliance:

http://www.midtownalliance.org/Docum...Tour_07_04.pdf

Not much new EXCEPT a picture of the added retail to 999 Peachtree (#21) and a picture of the new Mandarin Hotel (#13)!

Your link isn't working.

galaca
Apr 12, 2007, 8:42 PM
Here's the link: Midtown Development Tour (http://www.midtownalliance.org/Documents/Midtown_Atl_Dev_Tour_07_04.pdf)

The Mandarin Oriental is...interesting. I think I like it! :sly:

tdawg
Apr 12, 2007, 8:55 PM
It's freakin' awesome. Probably will be one of Midtown's most beautiful. I love the sloping roofline down to the street.

shanthemanatl
Apr 12, 2007, 9:04 PM
Alton Brown is awesome. I love how he gives you the "science" behind cooking. One FN "chef" I cant stand, however, is Sooondra Llllee and her wretched "food" kreations. :yuck:

I'm with you...something about Sandra Lee just gets under my skin.

I think she might need 12-step meetings are something...have you ever noticed how she always has a cocktail or two on the menu, even if she's doing a kid's menu????:cheers:

gttx
Apr 12, 2007, 9:07 PM
It's kind of...goofy. Reminds me of a building in Dubai. Either way, though, it will be something new architecturally for Atlanta, and the base looks awesome!

galaca
Apr 12, 2007, 9:15 PM
I'm with you...something about Sandra Lee just gets under my skin.

I think she might need 12-step meetings are something...have you ever noticed how she always has a cocktail or two on the menu, even if she's doing a kid's menu????:cheers:

Oh yes! Sooondra lllloves her cocktail time! On one episode recently she even made a gag-worthy "kiddie kocktail." It was mostly giant chunks of fruits with an odd combination of jooses. :slob:

Tombstoner
Apr 12, 2007, 9:37 PM
Oh yes! Sooondra lllloves her cocktail time! On one episode recently she even made a gag-worthy "kiddie kocktail." It was mostly giant chunks of fruits with an odd combination of jooses. :slob:

I don't know the woman and I don't know the show, but the idea of introducing little kids to "cocktails" is a little questionable...:yuck:

sunking1056
Apr 13, 2007, 3:38 AM
Even though it won't be a row of storefronts, I don't think it's all that bad. At least it has a park and greenspace...this could potentially be a place for people to go relax between shopping and dinner for example.

I agree. it may not be urban or anything but at least it's interesting and potentially useful. If lines of street level retail have to be broken up by something, I don't mind it being this.

Oh, and Sandra Lee is clearly an alcoholic. Not only does she have a cocktail in every show she adds alcohol to EVERY recipe! regardless of whether or not it's at all appropriate. She craaaaaazy

KevinAtl
Apr 13, 2007, 5:06 AM
Mandarin Oriental Atlanta
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/kevinatl/MandarinOrientalAtlanta.jpg

popewiz
Apr 13, 2007, 1:48 PM
Keep in mind that at the same time we all would like street level all the way up and down Peachtree, many of us have also expressed a desire for pocket type parks. The space in front of the federal reserve is a nice public park and I believe it fills the "pocket parks" requirement perfectly.

AtlFan
Apr 16, 2007, 12:54 AM
Retail development is like a great smile -- there cannot be too many gaps -- if you want sucess. Retail must be contiuous -- block to block, corner to corner.

In addition to the 180-acre Piedmont Park (just a couple blocks away) Midtown Mile is dotted with pocket parks - Bank of America, BellSouth, Spire Plaza, Margret Mitchell House, The Federal Reserve. The strret's leftover spaces must become retail if the Midtown Mile is to truly develop as a retail corridor.

popewiz
Apr 16, 2007, 1:51 PM
As far as your list goes, the onle ones I feel could be considered parks are BoA, and BellSouth. Spire, and the Margeret Mitchell house have maybe 200 sq feet each, and Spire's is really just concrete. Furthermore, you can't hang around in the Bank of America and Bellsouth "parks" for too long before they start trying to get you out of there (I tried while I was in school).

Tombstoner
Apr 16, 2007, 2:56 PM
As far as your list goes, the onle ones I feel could be considered parks are BoA, and BellSouth. Spire, and the Margeret Mitchell house have maybe 200 sq feet each, and Spire's is really just concrete. Furthermore, you can't hang around in the Bank of America and Bellsouth "parks" for too long before they start trying to get you out of there (I tried while I was in school).

Yeah, you need more than just grass to have a pocket park. Some centralized, inviting seating, maybe a fountain or sculpture, even a sign declaring it to be a "park" rather than the anteroom to BOA etc., would be helpful. Creating a streetscape where people feel comfortable hanging out in between appointments/shopping trips/dog walkings is something Atlanta has never really gotten the hang of.

AtlFan
Apr 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
Just found this link snoopiong around:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=417697053579168054&q=midtown+mile

I think it is on the MM website - but nice to see it on Google also.

AtlFan
Apr 30, 2007, 6:45 PM
Brand new Viewpoint on the Midtown Mile Video online now:
http://www.viewpointmidtownmile.com/
What happened to the CVS and Gordon Biersch?

ATLBlaxican
Apr 30, 2007, 7:41 PM
:previous: Love the Viedo!!!!! This is Novares best website yet. It makes me want to buy a unit and I don't even really like the building! Great job!!

cokezero
Apr 30, 2007, 8:00 PM
:previous: Love the Viedo!!!!! This is Novares best website yet. It makes me want to buy a unit and I don't even really like the building! Great job!!

That video isn't advertising the residences - it's advertising the retail space!

Check out http://www.viewpointmidtown.com for information on the residences.

Dragonheart8588
Apr 30, 2007, 8:05 PM
Brand new Viewpoint on the Midtown Mile Video online now:
http://www.viewpointmidtownmile.com/
What happened to the CVS and Gordon Biersch?

Are the shops in the video will become a reality when Viewpoint completes its construction? I would like to try out the H&M store.

Fiorenza
Apr 30, 2007, 9:26 PM
I hate to be a realist, but we're going to be looking at even more empty retail space.

jobe
Apr 30, 2007, 9:57 PM
I hate to be a realist, but we're going to be looking at even more empty retail space.

You live in the 'burbs, don't you?

mayhem
Apr 30, 2007, 10:31 PM

I highly doubt that.

Fiorenza
Apr 30, 2007, 10:43 PM
Prove me wrong.

Trae
Apr 30, 2007, 11:09 PM
I have been saying the same thing at my Atlanta forum. There is too much going up I believe (condos, retail, and office development).

scguy
Apr 30, 2007, 11:20 PM
There may be but the city of Atlanta, (intown) is exploding with new people. They need places to live, shop, eat and work. Now I know there are plenty of oppurtunity areas in intown Atlanta but right now anywhere in the 2-3 mile circle around Midtown, including all the surrounding neighborhoods are booming.

mayhem
Apr 30, 2007, 11:38 PM
Prove me wrong.

Just look at Spire and Plaza Midtown. Spire has two spaces open. One they've obviously kept held for their sales center, the other is from Tasty D Lite which closed down several locations, afaik. Plaza Midtown has one open space. It will be probably an extra 6-9 months after Viewpoint I is completed before retail will surface, but I think the two aforementioned project show that there is a healthy desire for more retail space. Don't forget 905 Juniper which is leased out 100% or Metropolis which has another store front lining up the second one closes down.

Fiorenza
Apr 30, 2007, 11:50 PM
Hope you're right.

RobMidtowner
May 1, 2007, 2:25 AM
Just look at Spire and Plaza Midtown. Spire has two spaces open. One they've obviously kept held for their sales center, the other is from Tasty D Lite which closed down several locations, afaik. Plaza Midtown has one open space. It will be probably an extra 6-9 months after Viewpoint I is completed before retail will surface, but I think the two aforementioned project show that there is a healthy desire for more retail space. Don't forget 905 Juniper which is leased out 100% or Metropolis which has another store front lining up the second one closes down.

And don't forget Tech Square...to say that retail isn't performing in central midtown is just incorrect.

dante2308
May 1, 2007, 3:07 AM
Sorry to say this but Tech Square is working because it marketed to students. Maybe if some of the retail elsewhere around the area didn't try so hard to be upscale, it would do better. There are too many trendy furniture stores to count and nothing along Peachtree but eats, the CVS, and that art store that I ever see myself using.

Andrea
May 1, 2007, 3:25 AM
... the city of Atlanta, (intown) is exploding with new people. They need places to live, shop, eat and work. Now I know there are plenty of oppurtunity areas in intown Atlanta but right now anywhere in the 2-3 mile circle around Midtown, including all the surrounding neighborhoods are booming.

Why can't they just take the connector out to the suburbs?

sabino86
May 1, 2007, 4:00 AM
Why can't they just take the connector out to the suburbs?

Here we go again... ;)

MarketsWork
May 1, 2007, 4:26 AM
Sorry to say this but Tech Square is working because it marketed to students. Maybe if some of the retail elsewhere around the area didn't try so hard to be upscale, it would do better. There are too many trendy furniture stores to count and nothing along Peachtree but eats, the CVS, and that art store that I ever see myself using.

I think you're right about this; smart retailers have to know their target markets. Full-time residents aren't going to buy expensive new "upscale" items every day. But they will need "everyday" stores like Publix, CVS, Target, and Home Depot, and plenty of inexpensive restaurants. There is a lot of "chicken and egg" guessing going on right now in Downtown and Midtown, as retail supply and demand are still feeling each other out. I believe this is going to take some time to evolve...

ATLBlaxican
May 1, 2007, 5:41 AM
Originally Posted By cokezero
That video isn't advertising the residences - it's advertising the retail space!

Check out http://www.viewpointmidtown.com for information on the residences.

I know that, it was obvious!!, I was just saying that it would be a cool place to live given all the retail at the bottom. I guess thanks for trying to help.

gttx
May 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
I like the pseudo-name brands they put on the storefronts: "Urban Apparel," "Ruma," etc...

Also, while much of the space in Tech Square is marketed to students, it would be foolish to think that all of it could survive with only business from Georgia Tech. The Globe, American Apparel, and that Lexington Chocolatier (which I've never seen anyone go in) can attest to that. The restaurants also all stay open during the summer....so I'd say there is significant demand for them outside of their proximity to the school.

CityFan
May 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
Prove me wrong.
So long as condos are filled, retail space won't be empty. Believe me builders had numbers worked out by experts

Harry Cane
May 1, 2007, 1:07 PM
I like the pseudo-name brands they put on the storefronts: "Urban Apparel," "Ruma," etc...

Yeah, me too. I noticed the names are made to sound like the national retailers with fonts to match like Sur la Cuisine for Sur la Table, for example. Wondered if it was an indication of who they were negotiating with or, perhaps more likely, who they’d like to be negotiating with.

smArTaLlone
May 1, 2007, 1:53 PM

Would anyone ever this same claim about a fast growing suburban community?

RobMidtowner
May 1, 2007, 2:05 PM

Tech Square retail is working because it's a destination with a large anchor flanked with smaller shops, just like Viewpoint and 12th & Midtown will be. It has the right mix of hotel, condo, office, and educational space to give it perpetual activity so it's not solely dependent on one set of people.