PDA

View Full Version : Midtown Mile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

smArTaLlone
Sep 5, 2008, 8:09 PM
Great news but this isn't quite in the "Midtown mile" is it?

L.ARCH
Sep 6, 2008, 3:31 PM
Too bad it will be another 90 days at least

Knowing SOM's recent work (and especially the work coming out of the New York office). This project is going to be HOT! :yes:

RobMidtowner
Sep 8, 2008, 1:16 PM
Great news but this isn't quite in the "Midtown mile" is it?

It's on Peachtree but not technically on the Mile.

littlepnut
Sep 9, 2008, 4:44 PM
Does anybody have any news on REATIL tenants on the mile and also when does 1010 midtown open up for homeowners??

littlepnut
Sep 11, 2008, 10:00 PM
I went by the 1010 midtown sales office and they said that they would model homes open after October 17th!! And the Building looks pretty cool at night TRUST ME!!!

:tup: :D :notacrook: :banana:

GThomas
Sep 14, 2008, 8:48 PM
I saw the sign for an eyewear/boutique-style store in one of the open spaces beneath Spire. Not sure if it's more just eyewear or a doctor's office type deal. Maybe it will do better than Fune (which has reopened under a new name), Twelve boutique, and that awful ice cream store that have gone under in the past two years.

I have to say the biggest success I've seen so far on the "Mile" has been Taco Mac. Hordes of Tech kids are constantly passing my apartment going back and forth there. There's a lot more foot traffic between campus now than 5 years ago when I started. I'd honestly really love to see a Blockbuster or something worthwhile plopped into one of these spaces. Boutique are obviously not the route to be taking right now.

smArTaLlone
Sep 25, 2008, 9:57 PM
I noticed that Shopping Center Group has the two ground level spaces nearest Starbucks labeled "At Lease". If combined, the space would be a little over 7,000 sf.

Also Jimmy Johns is coming to the Metropolis building.

futuresooner
Sep 25, 2008, 10:52 PM
Put a Chipotle at the base of Spire, that'd be a hit. I'd love to see this area flourish, but when trying to compete with Phipps, Lenox, and now Streets of Buckhead, it is going to be hard, if not near impossible to find the retailers they originally wanted. They need affordable, mroe everyday type stores, that people will frequent. Gay men will only throw so much cash down for nice jeans and underwear (this is a joke). An Apple store would do very well here, but places like Louis Vitton, Dior, etc, do not find Midtown really condusive for supporting a store, even more so when Buckhead is at most, 8 miles away.

Filling the Midtown Mile with national upscale boutiques should not be the goal, at all. You need to cater to the needs and wants of your residents before you think about tourists. About the only tourist attractions in Midtown are Piedmont Park and the museums. Atlantic Station actually stole a bit of the thuner that the Mile could be in all honesty.

Andrea
Sep 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
... even more so when Buckhead is at most, 8 miles away.

Not even that far, actually. I'd say it's about 3 miles from Midtown to SOB, and less than a 10 minute train ride from Midtown to Lenox Square.

smArTaLlone
Sep 25, 2008, 11:43 PM
How far is Perimeter Mall from Buckhead?

SAV
Sep 25, 2008, 11:48 PM
I can see a Bape or a Miu Miu, a Zara, the lower end Marc Jacobs similar to the Marc in Savannah, and other little trendy stores that aren't in Atlanta yet and aren't to expensive. Maybe some years from now they can get a Luis Vuiton (which isn't really exclusive to me, but whatever.)

It'll be cool if they build bigger, 2 story flaships of stores and resturants we alreay have. Like Gap, Abercrombie, Chickfil-A, Waffle house, American Eagle, Bananna Republic,Foot locker and Apple and etc. But Im sure Prada would rather be in Buckhead than Midtown. If they do come

Didn't I hear on this thread or somewhere that Saks was thinking about putting a store in midtown.

Andrea
Sep 25, 2008, 11:51 PM
How far is Perimeter Mall from Buckhead?

It's not that far either -- about 7 miles from SOB, and maybe 6 from Lenox. Only two train stations further, too.

Atlanta is really a fairly compact city.

futuresooner
Sep 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
I can see a Bape or a Miu Miu, a Zara, the lower end Marc Jacobs similar to the Marc in Savannah, and other little trendy stores that aren't in Atlanta yet and aren't to expensive. Maybe some years from now they can get a Luis Vuiton (which isn't really exclusive to me, but whatever.)

It'll be cool if they build bigger, 2 story flaships of stores and resturants we alreay have. Like Gap, Abercrombie, Chickfil-A, Waffle house, American Eagle, Bananna Republic,Foot locker and Apple and etc. But Im sure Prada would rather be in Buckhead than Midtown. If they do come

Didn't I hear on this thread or somewhere that Saks was thinking about putting a store in midtown.

Problem is, quite a few of those stores are already in Atlantic Station, right across the Downtown Connector. Like I said, overall, AS is the Mile's biggest competition. Midtowners, at least my friends there, don't really care for Buckhead-type stores, they want your more typical stores and restaurants. If they wanna pay out the arse, just take the MARTA train to Buckhead.

amd1588
Sep 26, 2008, 12:15 AM
When will the department stores ever return to Downtown? That would be awesome!

ATLaffinity
Sep 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
Put a Chipotle at the base of Spire, that'd be a hit. I'd love to see this area flourish, but when trying to compete with Phipps, Lenox, and now Streets of Buckhead, it is going to be hard, if not near impossible to find the retailers they originally wanted. They need affordable, mroe everyday type stores, that people will frequent. Gay men will only throw so much cash down for nice jeans and underwear (this is a joke). An Apple store would do very well here, but places like Louis Vitton, Dior, etc, do not find Midtown really condusive for supporting a store, even more so when Buckhead is at most, 8 miles away.

Filling the Midtown Mile with national upscale boutiques should not be the goal, at all. You need to cater to the needs and wants of your residents before you think about tourists. About the only tourist attractions in Midtown are Piedmont Park and the museums. Atlantic Station actually stole a bit of the thuner that the Mile could be in all honesty.

chipotle would do well.

i don't know if they ever really wanted Prada, Hermes, etc. Just avoid nail salons...

Apple and Whole Foods are the key to activating Midtown. A Whole Foods in the Old Fourth Ward does not adequately serve this area.

futuresooner
Sep 26, 2008, 12:22 AM
Also, maybe a large Cheesecake Factory, with a large outdoor dining area would do quite well for sure.

ATLBlaxican
Sep 26, 2008, 3:03 AM
Is their any laws that are stoping clubs, lounges or other night life spots from being a part of the Midtown Mile? I know there are some spots around Cresent Ave., but it would be cool to see some type of marquee nigth club right on Peachtree or even a Loca Luna (rest/club) type spot.

SAV
Sep 26, 2008, 4:33 AM
Problem is, quite a few of those stores are already in Atlantic Station, right across the Downtown Connector. Like I said, overall, AS is the Mile's biggest competition. Midtowners, at least my friends there, don't really care for Buckhead-type stores, they want your more typical stores and restaurants. If they wanna pay out the arse, just take the MARTA train to Buckhead.

But wouldn't it be cool if we could have the smallers stores in Atlantic Station and the bigger flagship stores across the bridge on peachtree. With all the new hotels and residents moving intown within the next 5 years, we may be able to support it.

Union Square in San Fransisco has multiple stores. I know its Union square, but you know, its possible for Midtown Atlanta too......someday

amd1588
Sep 26, 2008, 7:41 AM
I think that alot of people that shop at Atlantic Station tends to be from outside the Midtown area. Maybe this could cater to the neighborhood crowd specifically. Either way, with the population growth intown, and those coming from other area's of the metro, I don't see there being any serious competition between the two. Hopefully they can combine.

citywalker
Sep 26, 2008, 9:07 AM
Just wanted to say that 1010 is looking great now that it's almost open...I've been walking around late at night with my dog and it feels so nice with big sidewalks and trees and a bright new building...my only complaint as always is the lack of benches and trash cans....but a butt load (technical term) of bike racks there are at least 10. Hopefully when the stores fill in they will add their own benches and potted plants to warm it up....but otherwise it feels so nice and much safer than it ever used to when it was a club and a parking lot. :)

Terminus
Sep 26, 2008, 11:29 AM
chipotle would do well.

i don't know if they ever really wanted Prada, Hermes, etc. Just avoid nail salons...

Apple and Whole Foods are the key to activating Midtown. A Whole Foods in the Old Fourth Ward does not adequately serve this area.

Whole Foods on Ponce is in Midtown. Ponce de Leon Avenue is the southern boundary of Midtown in that area, and the BeltLine the eastern.

ThrashATL
Sep 26, 2008, 4:25 PM
....but otherwise it feels so nice and much safer than it ever used to when it was a club and a parking lot. :)

Like a cancer, civility spreads along Peachtree.

For MM to work, the human scale has to be foremost.

trainiac
Sep 26, 2008, 5:54 PM
Also Jimmy Johns is coming to the Metropolis building.

Sweet! We've needed a decent sandwich shop since TJ's closed. Now if I could just get a decent slice of pizza....

atl2phx
Sep 27, 2008, 1:38 PM
there was speculation this summer that ROOM AND BOARD of minneapolis was scouting midtown for a location on MM.

it's not on the MM, but according to their site, R&B will open a 33K sqft, three level store at white provisions.

opening scheduled for spring 2009.

i think this landing R&B is somewhat of a coup for midtown vs buckhead or the far flung suburbs.

Andrea
Sep 27, 2008, 1:49 PM
I agree. I think this down time in the real estate market would be a good opportunity for Midtown to focus on establishing and nurturing more "everyday" retail.

smArTaLlone
Sep 27, 2008, 2:22 PM
there was speculation this summer that ROOM AND BOARD of minneapolis was scouting midtown for a location on MM.

it's not on the MM, but according to their site, R&B will open a 33K sqft, three level store at white provisions.

opening scheduled for spring 2009.

i think this landing R&B is somewhat of a coup for midtown vs buckhead or the far flung suburbs.

I don't think the suburbs or even Buckhead is really their target market. Similarly, I think there are a plenty of retailers that target a Midtown type demorgraphic that will eventually populate Peachtree.

gttx
Sep 27, 2008, 4:03 PM
Sweet! We've needed a decent sandwich shop since TJ's closed. Now if I could just get a decent slice of pizza....

Firehouse?
And yeah, a good pizza place would be nice. Nothing fancy, nothing organic, nothing "upscale" - just a place to get good, cheap, greasy pizza.

atl2phx
Sep 27, 2008, 4:22 PM
I don't think the suburbs or even Buckhead is really their target market. Similarly, I think there are a plenty of retailers that target a Midtown type demorgraphic that will eventually populate Peachtree.

room and board is very much the type of store to target the affluent suburbs, their denver store is in cherry creek, chicago is served by oak brook and skokie. they also have urban stores in san fran, chicago and NYC. i think their site choice in atlanta validates midtown and i'm excited they chose the urban route, west midtown really emerging.

as for peachtree, i agree, there will be plenty of retailers that will eventually fill peachtree albeit at a frustratingly slow pace. its good to see new dining entrants like ra-sushi @ 1010 choose peachtree locations.

atl2phx
Sep 27, 2008, 4:23 PM
Firehouse?
And yeah, a good pizza place would be nice. Nothing fancy, nothing organic, nothing "upscale" - just a place to get good, cheap, greasy pizza.

anybody for a fellini's?

dirtybird
Sep 27, 2008, 5:35 PM
I would LOVE a Rosa's!

Very excited about Varasano's coming in the new Mezzo. Check out his blog. He apparently developed a following in his pursuit to make the perfect New York pizza:

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

kamden99
Oct 1, 2008, 2:48 PM
Just wanted to say that 1010 is looking great now that it's almost open...I've been walking around late at night with my dog and it feels so nice with big sidewalks and trees and a bright new building...my only complaint as always is the lack of benches and trash cans....but a butt load (technical term) of bike racks there are at least 10. Hopefully when the stores fill in they will add their own benches and potted plants to warm it up....but otherwise it feels so nice and much safer than it ever used to when it was a club and a parking lot. :)

I walk my dog from 5th north to 15th in the evenings, and am also very excited with how the area around 1010 is taking shape. (BTW, I love the signs that are now posted at all the street level doors of 1010 that say anyone who leaves a door open will be fired on the spot...I guess they had problems with people wandering in to look inside).

12th & Midtown Phase 2 just looks amazing!! The Loews Hotel is already pushing 30 stories...it shouldn't be long before it tops out. When this one is completed, it is going to become the epicenter of the MM, I can already tell.

BTW - The trashcans and benches will probably be added after all the exterior work has been completed (as they are moving those mobile cranes up and down the sidewalk putting the finishing touches on things). Also, I believe the placement of trashcans is handled by the MNA, and not the builder.

On another note, Viewpoint has several signed letters of intent for its retail tenants, but that doesn't mean a whole lot in this economy...maybe we'll hear something by Christmas? :shrug: The only thing currently open in that building is their Sales Center, which moved from across the street at Spire (BTW, I wonder what will go into that space? Anyone know?)

smArTaLlone
Oct 1, 2008, 9:57 PM
I walk my dog from 5th north to 15th in the evenings, and am also very excited with how the area around 1010 is taking shape. (BTW, I love the signs that are now posted at all the street level doors of 1010 that say anyone who leaves a door open will be fired on the spot...I guess they had problems with people wandering in to look inside).

12th & Midtown Phase 2 just looks amazing!! The Loews Hotel is already pushing 30 stories...it shouldn't be long before it tops out. When this one is completed, it is going to become the epicenter of the MM, I can already tell.

BTW - The trashcans and benches will probably be added after all the exterior work has been completed (as they are moving those mobile cranes up and down the sidewalk putting the finishing touches on things). Also, I believe the placement of trashcans is handled by the MNA, and not the builder.

On another note, Viewpoint has several signed letters of intent for its retail tenants, but that doesn't mean a whole lot in this economy...maybe we'll hear something by Christmas? :shrug: The only thing currently open in that building is their Sales Center, which moved from across the street at Spire (BTW, I wonder what will go into that space? Anyone know?)

I agree its looks great but its pretty easy at this point for 12th & Midtown to be the focus of a Peachtree shopping district since its the only place where both sides of the street will have space built for "flagship" retail.

Also someone has apparently signed on the dotted line for two of the spaces at Viewpoint.

smArTaLlone
Oct 8, 2008, 3:21 AM
This was in an article in the AJC.

"Macy’s: The department store is considering smaller stores, which could bust the chain out of the malls."

joecool
Oct 8, 2008, 6:55 PM
Atlanta is finally getting an Ed Hardy store. Guess where it is going...........Lenox Mall. Figures! I hate Buckhead. If all of the buildings that were in Buckhead (or atleast just half) were all in Downtown and Midtown............WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

futuresooner
Oct 8, 2008, 8:04 PM
This was in an article in the AJC.

"Macy’s: The department store is considering smaller stores, which could bust the chain out of the malls."

if that was to happen, that would be a real catalyst for more retail that the Mile is looking to attract.

kamden99
Oct 9, 2008, 7:58 PM
2 new tenants are moving in between 5th and 6th Street along the Midtown Mile:

Pedini - is moving its Atlanta showroom from a house on Juniper to part of the space formerly occupied by SPACE in Cornerstone Village (which moved across the street to the 805 Peachtree retail space). The other tenant on the north end of the building has yet to be announced. www.pediniatlanta.com (http://ww.pediniatlanta.com)
SELECT - is a men's clothing store (from Philly?) that is moving into the space formerly occupied by KARTELL in 805 Peachtree. It looks like it will sell high-end clothes and accessories. Could do well, I guess...I was hoping for a cafe or a store I had heard of...but beggars can't be choosers.

~ Kam

foxmccleod
Oct 11, 2008, 1:51 PM
In further, not exactly Midtown Mile, news, a new store has opened under the Windsor over Peachtree, called Prestige. It looks to sell t-shirts and shoes, but I didn't get a good look. The only thing that saddens me is that their sign breaks the standard of "render signs." I love walking by and seeing "grocery, dentistry, cleaners." Their sign should have said "shoes."

Also, work has been done at the old Spotted Dog location. The for lease sign is gone, and the patio lights have been repaired. The windows have been covered over. Hopefully we will get something in there soon.

trainiac
Oct 13, 2008, 5:23 AM
In further, not exactly Midtown Mile, news, a new store has opened under the Windsor over Peachtree, called Prestige. It looks to sell t-shirts and shoes, but I didn't get a good look. The only thing that saddens me is that their sign breaks the standard of "render signs." I love walking by and seeing "grocery, dentistry, cleaners." Their sign should have said "shoes."

OMG, you're totally right. I'd never recognized how generic the business signs are in that building. The diner should just be "Vittles"!

Also, work has been done at the old Spotted Dog location. The for lease sign is gone, and the patio lights have been repaired. The windows have been covered over. Hopefully we will get something in there soon.

Fantastic news! I'll have to walk over there this week. Whoever the contractor was that did the amazing job on this building should be hired to do the identical No. 7 station in West End that just closed down.

phantom
Oct 16, 2008, 6:44 PM
The Pedini store has put up some photos in the windows. I do hope they keep the old window displays. That was one of my favorite features of the old SPACE store--dropped when they moved across the street. They had great window displays which were regularly changed.

The Select store is already open. It looks like they sell nothing which is not black!

2 new tenants are moving in between 5th and 6th Street along the Midtown Mile:

Pedini - is moving its Atlanta showroom from a house on Juniper to part of the space formerly occupied by SPACE in Cornerstone Village (which moved across the street to the 805 Peachtree retail space). The other tenant on the north end of the building has yet to be announced. www.pediniatlanta.com (http://ww.pediniatlanta.com)
SELECT - is a men's clothing store (from Philly?) that is moving into the space formerly occupied by KARTELL in 805 Peachtree. It looks like it will sell high-end clothes and accessories. Could do well, I guess...I was hoping for a cafe or a store I had heard of...but beggars can't be choosers.

~ Kam

citywalker
Oct 17, 2008, 9:05 AM
It looks like Kuhlman finally went out of business is Spire....I'm not surprised but sad to see another boutique close....Eyedology the eyewear store is almost open a few doors down... the viewpoint sales center has moved across the street leaving a big empty space for lease in Spire.... there are what looks like two empty spaces on either side of the new Pedini space (old SPACE space) and the lofts across the street are full now with ligne roset space and the new menswear store....

Has anyone heard anything about the 1010 retail? Still hoping to hear for some fabulous retailers since its just about to open.

catlike
Oct 27, 2008, 8:40 PM
Just received a letter in the mail that Universal Gear is closing. Their store closing sale begins on Wednesday. Here I was just thinking to myself last week about how long they've managed to hold out, despite other businesses coming and going. :(

ATLaffinity
Oct 28, 2008, 8:15 PM
^ it doesn't bode well for MM that a store catering to gays can't survive in Midtown.

citywalker
Oct 28, 2008, 9:33 PM
^ Straight men don't buy clothes in Midtown? :shrug:

futuresooner
Oct 29, 2008, 3:29 AM
^ it doesn't bode well for MM that a store catering to gays can't survive in Midtown.

Ok, but $100's for jeans, even we have limits.

joecool
Oct 29, 2008, 4:47 AM
Ok, but $100's for jeans, even we have limits.

Thats got nothing to do with it. people pay $300 at Lenox for Rock & Republics and True Religions. People in this city still don't want to walk around in the city but will go to a freakin mall...... I don't get this city at all!

dirtybird
Oct 29, 2008, 4:51 AM
The problem with jumpstarting retail in Midtown Mile (or anywhere for that matter) is a bunch of stores need to all open at the same time. It's very hard to do without a concerted effort by a key figure or developer (ala Streets of Buckhead or Atlantic Station) outside of a mall. I don't know the history of how retail started in Virginia-Highlands or Little Five Points (I'm assuming they morphed from old drug stores and barber shops into the hip and trendy retail of today), but they are two good examples of neighborhoods that grew organically into modern shopping districts.

For MM to jumpstart, Viewpoint and 1010 Midtown needed to announce all their spaces have been signed by new and exciting stores. Then Kuhlman and Universal Gear would have waited it out. With no news of retail on the horizon and a downturn in the economy, I'm not surprised they closed shop.

Atlantan26
Oct 29, 2008, 1:36 PM
The problem with jumpstarting retail in Midtown Mile (or anywhere for that matter) is a bunch of stores need to all open at the same time. It's very hard to do without a concerted effort by a key figure or developer (ala Streets of Buckhead or Atlantic Station) outside of a mall. I don't know the history of how retail started in Virginia-Highlands or Little Five Points (I'm assuming they morphed from old drug stores and barber shops into the hip and trendy retail of today), but they are two good examples of neighborhoods that grew organically into modern shopping districts.

For MM to jumpstart, Viewpoint and 1010 Midtown needed to announce all their spaces have been signed by new and exciting stores. Then Kuhlman and Universal Gear would have waited it out. With no news of retail on the horizon and a downturn in the economy, I'm not surprised they closed shop.

I completely agree, people are not going to venture to midtown for one store. Once 12th & Midtown opens I think we'll see some change. but that still will not be enough. I love the idea of having a shopping district in midtown but at the same time I dont think its a good idea in Atlanta. Theres just way too much competition in Buckhead. That is already our shopping district. If they can manage to open a unique shopping experience in midtown I think that will be the only way to success. And for the record the Universal Gear store in Chicago is performing very poorly as well and I wouldnt be surprised if it closed as well.

spfaust
Oct 29, 2008, 2:29 PM

One bit of news not yet really announced is that Jamestown Properties just purchased all the Novare retail operations along Peachtree Street, including Metropolis retail where Universal gear is located. Jamestown is a well-funded arm for a German group of investors...and also owns the 999 Building at 10th & Peachtree with significant plans to expand that building's ground level out with retail. They also bought all the land surrounding the Margaret Mitchell House.

So, what Midtown Mile currently has in its favor is two very well funded groups driving a renewed retail effort - 12th & Midtown taking North of Tenth and Jamestown taking South of Tenth. Both of these organizations are planners with long-term perspectives, so expect no knee jerk reactions. They will plan their moves carefully with an enticing product at the right time.

Also keep in mind that any proposed retail must be prosperous enough to afford the high rents. Had Universal Gear located where Boy Next Door is located on Piedmont with cheap rents, they would have done well. The volume of everyday shoppers for clothes on Peachtree isn't going to be there until a planned launch of well rounded and selected vendors who can carry the rent for a while as traffic builds.

smArTaLlone
Oct 29, 2008, 8:00 PM
:previous: Interesting. I see this as a positive move.

First, Jamestown has had success with urban retail in other markets.

And if I'm not mistaken, Selig is handling the leasing for Jamestown's at 999 so Selig would essentially handle both segments. The more space Selig has to offer, the more likely they'll be able to attract flagship retail....eventually.

citywalker
Nov 8, 2008, 8:48 PM
Since there isn't much news going on I thought I would post that there are construction permit signs up one for Jimmy Johns sandwiches in the old Tropical Smoothie place at Metropolis. Also there is a sign for Noon in the backside of 1010 so looks like we will see two new eateries opening soon!:tup:

jpk1292000
Nov 11, 2008, 5:28 PM
I'm very excited, but skeptical about the financing to get the thing off the ground.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/11/10/daily32.html?surround=lfn&brthrs=1

Free
Nov 11, 2008, 7:55 PM
Agreed - not sure why the developers would want the ABC to publish this article if they weren't confident the building would, well, get built.

cabasse
Nov 11, 2008, 8:06 PM
The design of the high-rise tower will likely not be the same as the 700-foot illuminated onyx skyscraper depicted in a rendering obtained by the Chronicle last year, several sources have said.

:( boo! hiss!

jpk1292000
Nov 11, 2008, 8:23 PM
Agreed - not sure why the developers would want the ABC to publish this article if they weren't confident the building would, well, get built.

Maybe they have the funding. Who knows?

ATLaffinity
Nov 11, 2008, 8:44 PM
if this gets built, this puts our lodging and eating light years ahead of attractions and shopping (in Midtown).

Midtown Mile is a zero so far and who knows when the Symphony will be built.

be interesting to see if they can really charge $300 a night.

smArTaLlone
Nov 11, 2008, 8:52 PM
:( boo! hiss!

I wasn't floored by the last design so I'm assuming the new one will be even better.

Fiorenza
Nov 11, 2008, 8:53 PM
Unlike the Trump, these guys aren't jokers. If it's announced on Thursday, then it'll get built. And if they don't get their room tariff the room will sit empty, that's all.

cabasse
Nov 11, 2008, 8:55 PM
I wasn't floored by the last design so I'm assuming the new one will be even better.

hoping i can toast to that...

Chris Creech
Nov 13, 2008, 1:54 AM
One bit of news not yet really announced is that Jamestown Properties just purchased all the Novare retail operations along Peachtree Street, including Metropolis retail where Universal gear is located. Jamestown is a well-funded arm for a German group of investors...and also owns the 999 Building at 10th & Peachtree with significant plans to expand that building's ground level out with retail. They also bought all the land surrounding the Margaret Mitchell House.

This should help tremendously just to have someone coordinate the retail mix, they can offer high-end stores and restaurants a measure of exclusivity too, by not allowing competitors to open up right next door.

cabasse
Nov 13, 2008, 3:04 AM
hoping i can toast to that...
oh i can definitely toast to that!

citywalker
Nov 20, 2008, 4:55 AM
Just another quick note from walking around today saw signs up on the old Spotted Dog it is now going to be Engine 11 restaurant/bar looks promising...

citywalker
Nov 22, 2008, 8:10 AM
All I seem to be posting is new restaurant openings lol....here is another....Lift that is taking over Prince of Wales old spot had some work going on today and a new building permit is posted so we might see that one opening in a bit too yay!

dawn.
Dec 2, 2008, 5:34 PM
Did I miss any announcement regarding MO? Has it got the funding it needs?

(Sorry, just having a difficult time finding out information and my curiosity is gettin' to me!).

jpk1292000
Dec 2, 2008, 6:47 PM
Did I miss any announcement regarding MO? Has it got the funding it needs?

(Sorry, just having a difficult time finding out information and my curiosity is gettin' to me!).

I don't believe it has. As far as I know, financing hasn't been announced. It's possible that the company may finance the project itself, but this is just speculation at this point.

smArTaLlone
Dec 3, 2008, 10:51 PM
The current Business Chronicle includes a Midtown market report including retail.

12th & Midtown would like to fill out the 1010 retail space by the end of the year and are "looking at" announcing tenants for phase II in the first quarter of 2009. It sort of sounds like they have something signed for phase II and are considering early announcements in the hopes that it'll help fill the other space who knows.

They also mention 999 Peachtree where they hope to proceed with the retail expansion next year if they can sign some tenants.

Andrea
Dec 17, 2008, 9:42 PM
Do y'all think Apple stores are losing their luster now that you'll be able to buy iPhones at Wal-Mart and Mac computers at just about any old place?

dawn.
Dec 17, 2008, 9:52 PM
I'm not sure if Apple is technically losing their luster just because their items can be bought elsewhere. I think many people enjoy "shopping experiences" - which an Apple store could offer. They're crowd specific - they know who their market is and they cater to it. Whereas, the i-pods for sale at Wal*Mart for instance are just there to be bought.

I'll admit... I like the experience I get, say, when I order at a real Starbucks as opposed to a place that simply serves Starbucks coffee.

Perhaps I'm just stuck up! :haha:

Dragonheart8588
Dec 17, 2008, 11:09 PM
Do y'all think Apple stores are losing their luster now that you'll be able to buy iPhones at Wal-Mart and Mac computers at just about any old place?

Apple lost it luster to me once everyone had an IPod/Iphone. What really does it for me is people who buy Macbook and can barely use its functions.

Andrea
Jan 23, 2009, 1:54 AM

AtlMidtowner
Jan 25, 2009, 1:22 AM
Apple lost it luster to me once everyone had an IPod/Iphone. What really does it for me is people who buy Macbook and can barely use its functions.

My brother bought my 83 year old father his first cell phone for Xmas. He literally didnt use it for two weeks after Xmas because he couldnt figure out how to turn it on!! And he is a retired math professor, and son of a physics professor. He didnt think it was logical to make a phone turn on by pushing a key that had the word "END" in the color red written on it!!

Back on the topic.....
My gut feeling is that NO retail will open at 1010 until 12th & Midtown opens at the same time.

Trae
Jan 25, 2009, 8:51 PM
I wonder if this will affect Atlanta?

Apple easing back retail expansion (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10148170-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5)

Most likely.

atlantaguy
Jan 25, 2009, 9:42 PM
^Why would you say that?

hattmardy
Jan 25, 2009, 11:25 PM
Hi Everyone, my first post :)

Jimmy Johns in Metropolis just opened this Thursday!

http://www.hattmardy.com/matt/jimmyjohns.jpg

Fiorenza
Jan 26, 2009, 3:22 AM
Whoa...a new sandwich shop!

Andrea
Jan 26, 2009, 12:43 PM

smArTaLlone
Feb 3, 2009, 7:13 PM
Viewpoint has apparently signed a couple of tenants.

Evos (http://www.evos.com/) which has the slogan "feel great fast food" and SCIC (http://www.scic.it/ENG/home.html) an italian kitchen retailer.

They also have 2,000 sf on the ground level at the corner of 6th labeled "at lease" and a letter of intent for over 6,000 sf on the second level but that may be as office space.

ATLaffinity
Feb 3, 2009, 7:28 PM

Evos (http://www.evos.com/) which has the slogan "feel great fast food" and SCIC (http://www.scic.it/ENG/home.html) an italian kitchen retailer.

They also have 2,000 sf on the ground level at the corner of 6th labeled "at lease" and a letter of intent for over 6,000 sf on the second level but that may be as office space.

SCIC is a nice addition to the row of high-end design we have going with Space, Ligne Roset, Bulthaup. Not sure I'd want to open an upmarket kitchen design store right now but i'm glad they are coming.

Evos looks awful. Their other locations have gotten very poor reviews. Low-calorie fast food. awesome. just build the freaking Whole Foods...

Atlantan26
Feb 3, 2009, 7:50 PM
In this market any lease is a good lease BUT it seems like everything along peachtree is a restaurant! that market will be saturated with restaurants before long. Enough restaurants we need a mix of businesses.

catlike
Feb 3, 2009, 8:03 PM
SCIC is a nice addition to the row of high-end design we have going with Space, Ligne Roset, Bulthaup. Not sure I'd want to open an upmarket kitchen design store right now but i'm glad they are coming.

Plus, there's Pedini that opened recently where Space used to be, so there's yet another Italian kitchen design place.

Curious Atlantan
Feb 3, 2009, 9:14 PM
In this market any lease is a good lease BUT it seems like everything along peachtree is a restaurant! that market will be saturated with restaurants before long. Enough restaurants we need a mix of businesses.

Not enough high quality lunch places, IMO.

trainiac
Feb 4, 2009, 7:42 PM
Not enough high quality lunch places, IMO.

Correct. It's a struggle to get people to agree where to go to lunch every day. Baraonda has gotten pretty uneven; Jason's Deli is OK for what it is; Azio's has the cheapest salad; Noodle has pretty good Pho Ga; Vortex is usually pretty good; Los Palmeras & Papi's both have decent Cuban.

About the only thing I get excited about is masitas at Palmeras and the once a year walk over to MF Sushi on Ponce.

megalopolis
Feb 4, 2009, 10:18 PM
I regularly eat at Gordon Biersch, Fresh 2 Order and Taco Mac, all good Midtown Mile eateries.

popewiz
Feb 5, 2009, 4:31 PM
Correct. It's a struggle to get people to agree where to go to lunch every day. Baraonda has gotten pretty uneven; Jason's Deli is OK for what it is; Azio's has the cheapest salad; Noodle has pretty good Pho Ga; Vortex is usually pretty good; Los Palmeras & Papi's both have decent Cuban.

About the only thing I get excited about is masitas at Palmeras and the once a year walk over to MF Sushi on Ponce.

I have to say I prefer the Pollo Frito at Las Palmeras.

cybele
Feb 5, 2009, 5:41 PM
Whatever happened to mailboxes, by the way? I walked all over Midtown the other day trying to find a place mail a couple of letters but there were no mailboxes in sight.

trainiac
Feb 5, 2009, 6:02 PM
Whatever happened to mailboxes, by the way? I walked all over Midtown the other day trying to find a place mail a couple of letters but there were no mailboxes in sight.

Sucks doesn't it? They took out the one on Cypress last year and they just removed the one near my house.

The closest one I know of is on 8th up the hill from P'tree in front of the FDA building.

trainiac
Feb 5, 2009, 6:04 PM
I have to say I prefer the Pollo Frito at Las Palmeras.

Sweet! I'll try that next time. I still miss Tony

CenterSquare
Feb 11, 2009, 5:26 PM
I saw where there appears to be some activity inside the old Jocks and Jills at 10th and Peidmont. Looks like some renovation taking place.
Does anyone know what is happening?

joecool
Feb 11, 2009, 9:26 PM
I saw where there appears to be some activity inside the old Jocks and Jills at 10th and Peidmont. Looks like some renovation taking place.
Does anyone know what is happening?

Are we ever going to see Midtown Square......sigh

smArTaLlone
Feb 12, 2009, 5:36 PM

SCIC (http://www.scicatlanta.com/) now has a web page that says they are planning to open in May.

hattmardy
Feb 13, 2009, 4:51 PM
SCIC now has a sign up at Viewpoint advertising that they're "opening soon"

http://www.hattmardy.com/matt/scic.jpg

AtlMidtowner
Feb 15, 2009, 1:56 PM
Who lives in a highrise condo building.

Just have a few questions!

Please identify which building and how long

Thanks

AtlMidtowner
Feb 15, 2009, 2:00 PM
Are we ever going to see Midtown Square......sigh
Considering Dewberry is almost on his deathbed without heirs, I dont think anything will happen until his estate sells it.

The only ugly lots left in Mitown that I really would like to see developed are the Dewberry's, Mandarin Oriental, the Museum Tower, the Ritz on 14th/Spring/West Peachtree. All the other lots I have patience to wait after our recovery.

Atlwest281
Feb 15, 2009, 3:12 PM
Dewberry is on his death bed? He looks to be in the upper reaches of his forties. Im sure he if desperate for an Heir should have no problem finding a wife for that purpose. Good looking nd rich usually guarantees that lol :). I hope at some point he decides to build something grand there as he keeps saying he will.

cybele
Feb 15, 2009, 4:50 PM
Former Georgia Tech Quarterback Battling Cancer (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18390356/detail.html?rss=atl&psp=news#-)

phantom
Feb 17, 2009, 8:54 PM
I noticed last week that they've finally started building out the inside of the BoA branch office in the 1010 building. Man, I've missed that handy ATM on the corner of 12th & Peachtree this past year or more!

Atlwest281
Feb 17, 2009, 9:03 PM
Someone like Dewberry is a fighter and didnt get to where he is by not being as such. He has the best medical care and from the sounds of the article his prognosis is hopeful and I wish him well and the best and speediest recovery. I think he sounds quite shrewd for waiting to build Midtown Square at this point and in this economy. Hopefully the wait will be worth it and i have a feeling it will be.

foxmccleod
Apr 2, 2009, 1:07 PM
The old Jocks and Jills space is going to be a new restaurant - Midtown Mediterranean.

In other news, the former Globe space in Tech Square is going to be a new restaurant called Waterhaven.

No word on opening dates for either.

dirtybird
Apr 2, 2009, 3:48 PM
The old Jocks and Jills space is going to be a new restaurant - Midtown Mediterranean.

Cool! I love Mediterranean. Unfortunately, it's not a very well liked cuisine in this city. Very hard to make money on it.

Atlantan26
Apr 2, 2009, 4:05 PM
gilberts is a mediterranean restaurant a block or so away, hmmm why do we need two of the same concept so close? Midtown restaurants and retail will only be successful if they incorporate one of a kind type places to draw interest and traffic. otherwise, we will continue to see these openings and closings!

Fiorenza
Apr 2, 2009, 4:37 PM
I love Mediterranean and I hope they keep opening more of them. Matter of fact, it could be a theme for the whole area far as I'm concerned - Mediterranean Trattoria Mile.