PDA

View Full Version : Zipcar Speeds into Vancouver

SpongeG
Apr 5, 2007, 9:33 PM
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Zipcar, the world's largest car sharing company, today launched service in Vancouver, British Columbia. Vancouver is Zipcar's largest market launch to date, with 100 cars hitting the streets of Vancouver immediately to help ease the pains of parking and traffic congestion and provide an affordable transportation alternative to the city's 600,000 urban residents.

Zipcar became the first North American car sharing company to go international when it launched Zipcar-Canada in Toronto, Ontario during the summer of 2006. It then launched its first overseas market in November 2006 with the opening of its London operations. With expansion to Vancouver, Zipcar now operates in the neighborhoods of nearly 23 million people, further opening up car sharing to a mainstream, urban population.

"Vancouver is a world-class city with great potential for our business. That is why we are commencing operations with our largest initial fleet to- date in Vancouver," said Zipcar CEO Scott Griffith. "With recent upgrades to our proprietary web reservation and back-end management systems, we are well prepared to deliver superior service to our global membership base."

With Zipcar, Vancouver individuals and businesses seeking an alternative to the hassles and high costs of car ownership now have more viable transportation options. Recent studies by Zipcar indicate that members drive less and are more likely to walk, bike, and use of public transportation. Environmental benefits include an 80% decrease in vehicle kilometers driven per year by Zipcar members, thus reducing gas and emissions from going into the atmosphere. Additionally, Zipcar members report an average savings of more than $435 (approx. $500 CAD) per month compared to the costs of owning and operating a private car. With an average of 40% of Zipcar members getting rid of their vehicles or deciding not to purchase one, each Zipcar in Vancouver is expected to take 15-20 privately owned vehicles off the streets, significantly decreasing parking issues and traffic congestion.

Beginning today, Zipcar will place 100 vehicles in many locations throughout the Downtown, Kitsilano, Fairview, Commercial Drive and Mount Pleasant neighborhoods of Vancouver. Zipcars' industry leading selection of 11 makes and models of vehicles in Vancouver will range from standard sedans to small SUV's and luxury vehicles.

Worldwide, Zipcar continues to see 100%+ annual increases in members and vehicles and became the first car sharing service in North America to attain profitability in all of its established markets. Zipcar has the largest active membership base of any car sharing service, with more than 90,000 members and 2,500 vehicles.

To celebrate the launch of Vancouver, residents and businesses can now join Zipcar at http://www.zipcar.com/ for only a $25 one time application fee and $55 annual fee. Rates in Vancouver start at $8.30 CAD per hour and $59 CAD per day (any 24 hour period), with gas, parking and insurance included. To join, residents simply need to have a valid drivers license, be 21+ and meet safe driving standards. Additionally, every Zipcar reservation includes 150 free kilometers and there are never any monthly fees, costly deposits or hidden charges.

About Zipcar

Zipcar is a leading urban lifestyle brand that provides an alternative to car ownership to more than 90,000 consumer and business drivers worldwide. By providing urbanites with hourly and daily access to cool, affordable and conveniently-located vehicles, Zipcar has grown to be the world's largest and fastest growing car sharing service, currently operating more than 2,500 vehicles in London and 14 North American states and provinces, including metropolitan New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Vancouver, Minneapolis, Toronto and Washington, DC. With Zipcar's award-winning technology, accessing and using a Zipcar is as easy as getting cash from an ATM. In minutes or up to a year in advance, members can reserve Zipcars online or by phone, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Zipcar members have automated access to any Zipcar across North America and the United Kingdom using a "Zipcard" to simply unlock the door and drive away. For more information, visit http://www.zipcar.com/.

http://www.sys-con.com/read/358410.htm

related news:

A pioneering Vancouver car-sharing co-op is raising concerns about the possibility that a city car-sharing contract may go to an American-based firm.

Officials at Vancouver city hall recently put out a call for bids to run a car-sharing service for a fleet of 40 vehicles.

So far, two private American companies, ZipCar and Flexcar, have expressed interest.

The founder of Vancouver's Co-operative Auto Network doesn't think the non-profit group should have to fight for the contract.

Tracey Axelsson said CAN, the first co-op of its kind in North America, should have been the natural choice to supply the new city fleet.

"For me, sustainability means support local, at the very outset of all things. You know, if you can buy a B.C. apple or a California apple, if you really want a sustainable economy, you buy the B.C. apple."

But Sean Pander, the city's climate protection program manager, said the contract could potentially be worth $100,000 and needs to be open to the competitive process.

"We want to ensure we are getting the best value for the citizens, as well as we want to maintain some transparency," he said.

CAN supplies cars on an as-needed basis for a yearly membership fee. It has nearly 3,000 members, said Axelsson.

twoNeurons
Apr 5, 2007, 9:46 PM
I would totally support CAN on this one... much lower costs than ZipCar and run locally, non-profit.

Zipcar will do a MUCH better job at promoting, however. Ideally, one without a car would join both of them. I just hope CAN isn't pushed out of the market.

http://www.cooperativeauto.net

SpongeG
Apr 5, 2007, 10:13 PM
yeah - i always wanted to join the coop but they aren't in my area

hopefully they don't get lost in it all

Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2007, 10:30 PM
can't there be more than one? why not CAN, ZIP and Flex car.

Let the market decide. I think Van is big enough.

SpongeG
Apr 5, 2007, 10:33 PM
yeah there can but it is canada - haha

and its a city contract so some will be miffed

Rusty Gull
Apr 6, 2007, 7:05 AM
The Cooperative Auto Network has done a good job with car sharing in Greater Vancouver -- for the most part. However, its on the ground presence in places like the North Shore is still relatively weak, which could open the door for rivals like Zipcar.

giantsloth
Apr 7, 2007, 12:48 AM
zip is certainly behind on locations for the start, compare
http://www.zipcar.com/vancouver/find-cars
to
http://www.cooperativeauto.net/maps/googleMap.php

A bit of competition will help the whole thing i think, i'm in the coop and it's great, but I'd like to see their booking web site fixed up, it's pretty unprofessional looking and not very intuitive. I'm assuming zip's is much better which might spur them into action.

And if they get into a battle for locations it'd be great :)

Rusty Gull
Apr 7, 2007, 2:13 AM
Yeah, it'll be hard for Zip to catch up to the Co-op. However, it might encourage the Co-op leadership to crackdown on problem members who leave the cars messy, smack them up without owning up to it, etc. My gut feeling is that Zip doesn't mess around on these kind of issues.

One key advantage of Zip: it has locations in Toronto, San Fran, etc. So if you travel often for business (or pleasure), you probably don't have to worry about renting a car in these cities.

Hot Rod
Apr 7, 2007, 3:33 AM
that is a huge advantage. ..

All we need is Flex-car now, then you dont need a car in Seattle (vice versa).

Rusty Gull
Apr 10, 2007, 4:05 AM
Yeah -- if ZipCar were also to set up shop in say, Victoria, Seattle, Calgary and a few other Pacific Northwest destinations (Saltspring Island? Whistler? Portland?), I'd be inclined to give them a good long look.

As it stands, I can't see them holding a candle to the Cooperative Auto Network in terms of price or sheer number of cars.

twoNeurons
Apr 10, 2007, 4:48 PM
zipcar is run for profit. it will probably not be able to beat out the Co-op but it will attract people to car-sharing with superior advertising and marketing.

Zipcar will probably boost Co-operative Auto Network before it beats it. Hardly anyone knows about CAN.

I used to be in CAN, but it just isn't practical for me living on the east side.