PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Project Thread III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Andrea
Feb 29, 2008, 3:24 PM
L.Arch, I agree. That would be a great space for an urban park.

On another topic the city is considering an ordinance governing parking decks, which I think is an excellent idea. This is already covered by most SPI's but the regulations should be citywide.

smArTaLlone
Feb 29, 2008, 4:16 PM
By LEON STAFFORD
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/28/08

Atlanta's hotel industry, which experienced a boon in occupancy and construction over the past few years, is seeing a slowdown.

Industry experts, who six months ago were forecasting a strong year, are slightly less upbeat. They say the number of booked conventions is still good, but worry that business and tourist travel may not be as robust as in the past because of the downturn in the economy.

And most say that until the industry gets a clearer picture of whether the country is headed toward a prolonged recession, new hotels probably won't break ground for a while.

"The level of economic uncertainty is causing a lot of people to rethink their strategy and where they are in the marketplace," said Mark Woodworth, executive vice president of PKF Consulting, an Atlanta firm that tracks the health of the hotel industry.

"However, they are not abandoning the projects," he said. "They are pausing."

Accommodations are important to Atlanta. Tourism is a more than $11 billion industry in the metro area, and Atlanta is one of the nation's biggest convention and business cities.

While metro Atlanta has one of the nation's largest supplies of hotel rooms — about 93,000 — most are in the suburbs. To compete with cities such as Chicago, Orlando and Las Vegas, more rooms are needed inside the Perimeter to handle conventions and visitors to the World of Coca-Cola, the High Museum of Art and Buckhead restaurants.

Hotels announced in Atlanta over the past few years include new brands and well-regarded standbys, such as a Grand Bohemian Hotel in the Perimeter area, the Stanbury in Alpharetta, a Staybridge Suites downtown, and lodging by Hilton, Baccarat Hotel and Residences and 1 Hotel and Residences in Buckhead. Others speculated but not yet official include a Mandarin Oriental, a third Ritz-Carlton, a Waldorf-Astoria and a Trump hotel at the billionaire's condo project in Midtown.

If realized, they will join a number of first-of-their-kind nameplates in Atlanta, such as St. Regis, Rosewood, Loews and Palomar, all under construction or nearing completion. Starwood, owner of the W brand, is building a new hotel downtown and reflagging properties in Buckhead and Midtown. A second Hotel Indigo from InterContinental Hotels Group, which operates the Holiday Inn, InterContinental and Crowne Plaza brands, is being developed at the old Carnegie Building downtown.

Paul Breslin, managing partner of Panther Hospitality, said Atlanta is still ripe for development, but capital has tightened. What would have been green-lighted a year ago is now being scrutinized more thoroughly.

"There is a tremendous need for banks to make money," he said. "What's different is they are being more selective of the projects."

Timing also is crucial.

Beau King, developer of the 304-room Palomar in Midtown, said it would not have been as easy to get the boutique out of the ground in today's climate.

"I think it would have been a big problem," he said. "Underwriting is getting a lot harder. Everyone is pulling back."

As it is, the Palomar had to strip the condo component from its original plan after the housing market tanked.

"There is certainly a palpable chill in construction right now," King said.

Still, Woodworth doesn't see the hotel industry falling into the same chasm as the housing market.

"There is absolutely no depression in hotel values like we have seen in other parts of the real estate market," he said. The first half of this year is going to be tough. The second half is going to be much, much better."

Mike Sullivan, a spokesman for the Omni at CNN Center, also is optimistic. He said the rush to build new hotels in Atlanta says a lot more about the market than the time it's taking to get the deals done.

"The good thing is a lot of people are looking at Atlanta as a good market," Sullivan said.

BY THE NUMBERS
$11 billion - Value of Atlanta's hospitality industry
93,000 - Hotel rooms in the metro area

Andrea
Feb 29, 2008, 4:37 PM
I would also count the significant re-modelings we've seen as "new" hotels. The Carnegie downtown, the W in midtown and the W which has just gotten underway in Buck head. I would not be surprised to see several more extensive renovations along those lines in the near future.

atlantaguy
Feb 29, 2008, 5:26 PM
I know it's not in the "core" areas we usually discuss, but there are also plans to convert the old BellSouth training center tower at I-85 & North Druid Hills into a new hotel.

This area is about to explode with new ramps to/from 85 and an almost total remake of the old Executive Park property (not to mention the dreaded Park @ Briarcliff that Sembler is pushing).

Fiorenza
Feb 29, 2008, 5:29 PM
Have there been any recent news developments regarding the I-85/Druid Hills proposals?

atlantaguy
Feb 29, 2008, 6:22 PM
^Not that I am aware of.

Andrea
Feb 29, 2008, 9:18 PM
This area is about to explode with new ramps to/from 85 and an almost total remake of the old Executive Park property (not to mention the dreaded Park @ Briarcliff that Sembler is pushing).

atlantaguy, do you know if any of the drawings are available? I met with the DOT folks and with the then PPI contractors a couple of years ago and they had piles of old plans but they were still very much a work in progress. They do have significant amounts of ROW there.

whoDean
Mar 1, 2008, 3:20 AM
With DOT cancelling a few hundred projects next week, hopefully that project doesn't get the axe. Will the 85/400 interchange finally be finished?

atlantaguy
Mar 1, 2008, 1:41 PM
atlantaguy, do you know if any of the drawings are available? I met with the DOT folks and with the then PPI contractors a couple of years ago and they had piles of old plans but they were still very much a work in progress. They do have significant amounts of ROW there.

Andrea - I saw the plans on a PDF doc floating around thats connected with the TID overlay that DeKalb approved back during the Holidays. Can't recall exactly where it was, but it shouldn't be too hard to find with a good search.

I do remember that they showed the site plan for the almost total re-work of Executive Park, and the intense redevelopment was quite shocking vs. what's there now. There were also new ramps shown from I-85 North exiting directly onto Exec. Park Drive just above Sheridan, and another set of ramps that exited North of North Druid Hills directly onto Briarcliff right below Drew Valley.

I"ll try to find the PDF, but it may take a while (I'm playing in the dirt today!):cool:

Andrea
Mar 1, 2008, 3:19 PM
Very cool, atlantaguy -- but please don't stop playing in the dirt for me! ;)

Actually now that I think about it I may have seen those plans, too. Seems like they were on one of the neighborhood websites regarding the Sembler/Executive Park proposals.

smArTaLlone
Mar 1, 2008, 3:59 PM
The Business Chronicle reports that Ben Carter filed plans for a 280-seat, seven-screen luxury movie theater at The Streets of Buckhead on the Three Dollar Cafe site.

Also Sembler's Town Brookhaven will feature a theater concept called Cinebistro. It will be a 700-seat, seven-screen theater and offers upscale full-menu dining in a movie theater for those 21 and older.

Harry Cane
Mar 1, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post deleted. Info re company scouting for 200,000 sq.ft. on other thread.

whoDean
Mar 2, 2008, 3:12 PM
The Business Chronicle reports that Ben Carter filed plans for a 280-seat, seven-screen luxury movie theater at The Streets of Buckhead on the Three Dollar Cafe site.

Does this replace the Office building?

Andrea
Mar 2, 2008, 3:42 PM
No, the theatres would be underground.

trainiac
Mar 6, 2008, 4:46 PM
Arts, MARTA talks extended
By Kirsten Tagami

The Woodruff Arts Center and MARTA need more time —- a lot more time —- to decide whether to turn the 6.21 acres of land at the Arts Center Station into an extension of the arts center's Midtown campus.

The land, on West Peachtree Street directly behind the Woodruff, is under consideration as a site for a new symphony hall and education center or a Lincoln Center-style multipurpose arts facility. Woodruff is the umbrella organization for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the High Museum, Alliance Theatre and the youth arts education organization Young Audiences.

The Woodruff and MARTA recently signed a new agreement to continue talking until Oct. 15 about the potential value of the site, technical and structural challenges, impacts on traffic, possible sources of funding and how much interest there might be for retail or other partnerships, according to a joint news release.

The two sides have been in formal talks since signing a Sept. 5 letter of intent that mentioned $40 million as a possible price for the MARTA site. Woodruff CEO Joe Bankoff, however, described that figure as only a "starting point." He said he has been encouraged by the enthusiasm expressed by new MARTA CEO Beverly Scott for an arts-focused development on the site.

Architects Renzo Piano, who designed the High Museum's recent expansion, and Santiago Calatrava, who designed a new symphony hall for a proposed site on 14th Street, have been involved in discussions about extending the Woodruff campus onto the MARTA site.

"They both see that as an opportunity to be explored," Bankoff said.

I love this location. Hope it works out

atlantaguy
Mar 6, 2008, 8:02 PM
This is one that we've been waiting to hear a little more about..........

Project could bring hotel, condos, retail to Midtown site

By KEVIN DUFFY

Published on: 03/06/08

A tower 50 to 60 stories tall containing a hotel, condominiums, retail and offices might be built on Peachtree Street just north of the High Museum.

That's one scenario under consideration by the developers of 1400 Peachtree — the Shailendra Group and Jamestown — according to John Robbins, senior vice president with Shailendra.

This week, the developers briefed a group of Ansley Park residents on what might be built on the 1.7-acre site. It's at the corner of 17th Street, which leads to the huge mixed-use development Atlantic Station.

Robbins said another possibility is building two towers 25 to 30 stories tall. Construction could begin in mid-2009 and be completed in 2012, he said.

The goal is to include a 4.5-star hotel with about 225 rooms, 75 to 99 condos, 400,000-500,000 square feet of office space, and 40,000-50,000 square feet of retail space, Robbins said.

Robbins said a luxury hotel brand has tentatively agreed to be part of the project, but it's too early to announce the name.

The 1400 Peachtree development will be designed to be "a gateway" to Midtown for southbound travelers, he said.

"We're always open to development as long as our neighborhood is protected from excess traffic," said Jeff Kohn, who heads the Ansley Park Civic Association's zoning and land use committee. Ansley Park is one of Atlanta's oldest and wealthiest neighborhoods.

Kohn said his group just listened and did not comment when developers briefed them this week.

Robbins said the next step is to come up with design plans to present to the city.

Shailendra and Jamestown bought the land in 2006, paying $17.5 million.

Re: Ansley Park residents. You have to hand it to them. They don't care how dense the neighborhood around them becomes, they just don't want any major cut-through traffic. Can't say that I blame them at all (but if you know this area well, it's a priceless & gorgeous shortcut between Peachtree & Piedmont/Ansley area).

smArTaLlone
Mar 8, 2008, 6:12 PM
Business Chronicle (http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/03/10/story2.html)

A Tivoli spokesman said Tivoli has been entertaining "a number of potential partners for the property" in the past year. A Mandarin spokesman says " I don't have any information on a hotel that is being planned or announced in Atlanta. Nothing has been signed."

This makes me wonder if 1138 Peachtree will be a Mandarin after all. Keep in mind that the Business Chronicle is the only place that this has been reported.

Fiorenza
Mar 8, 2008, 7:46 PM
Keep in mind the Atlanta Business Chronicle is a publication out of Charlotte, and not known for putting a positive spin on things Atlanta. Just saying.

jobe
Mar 9, 2008, 1:43 PM
Heck, the ABC itself is turning more in line with the gossip magazines they sell at the Publix check-out line. I guess that's what happens when revenues drop.

Chris Creech
Mar 10, 2008, 1:49 AM
I know it's not in the "core" areas we usually discuss, but there are also plans to convert the old BellSouth training center tower at I-85 & North Druid Hills into a new hotel.

That would have it coming full circle. I can't remember what it used to be, but when I first moved to Atlanta it had been built and run as a couple of different hotels, then sat empty for a long time before BellSouth converted it to their convention/training center.

SteveD
Mar 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
Things are progressing slowly there. I did engineering due diligence at that property years ago, in advance of this speculated redevelopment.

TopThat1
Mar 10, 2008, 2:01 PM
Does anyone know if Skyline has stalled? I've not seen any activity in awhile.

atlantaguy
Mar 10, 2008, 2:20 PM
That would have it coming full circle. I can't remember what it used to be, but when I first moved to Atlanta it had been built and run as a couple of different hotels, then sat empty for a long time before BellSouth converted it to their convention/training center.

I remember that too, Chris. It was orignally built as the Executive Park Inn when I was a liitle kid during our brief time here in the late 60's, then the tower portion was added in the early 70's. I remember back then that there was lots of bragging re: Executive Park being America's "first office park" or some nonsense.

atlantaguy
Mar 10, 2008, 2:21 PM
Things are progressing slowly there. I did engineering due diligence at that property years ago, in advance of this speculated redevelopment.

Steve, do you mean the reno of the old hotel or the redo of Executive Park itself?

atlantaguy
Mar 10, 2008, 2:22 PM
Does anyone know if Skyline has stalled? I've not seen any activity in awhile.

I think it may have. I go by there all the time, and the last 2 weeks I have seen no activity at all. The cranes haven't moved, nobody on the site, etc.

smArTaLlone
Mar 10, 2008, 7:42 PM
Heck, the ABC itself is turning more in line with the gossip magazines they sell at the Publix check-out line. I guess that's what happens when revenues drop.

Exactly! It sounds like they had a "source" and ran with the story without any confirmation from the people that actually matter. I agree that they tend to put a negative spin on things but there has to a reason that the AJC and no other news organizations have reported that 1138 is planned as a Mandarin Oriental.

jobe
Mar 10, 2008, 11:01 PM
Quick question for the group about retail. A friend of mine rents at Metropolis and loves it, but his lease is up in September. He's thinking about buying at 1010 or Viewpoint but a lot depends on the social scene around his building. We were talking and he recalled 1010 promoting a lot of high-end retail but Viewpoint also has a lot available and maybe more existing retail in that area overall. Have either of these landed retail tenants? If not, what happened to the ones that 1010 was promoting in their ads a while back? And was Viewpoint not "close" to signing someone like Williams-Sonoma? Where did the retail go and more important -- anyone have any scoop on where it's going, out of those two? Thanks.

Andrea
Mar 11, 2008, 12:55 PM
I was at the grocery store the other day and noticed that the St. Regis is really starting to rise. Looks good! The newspaper says they're about sold out:

The St. Regis Hotel and Residences, located at 100 West Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead, is beginning to take shape, but still has a way to go before the planned opening later this year. As of the first week of March, 45 of the 50 condominium residences making up the top floors of the 26-story building had already been sold at prices ranging from $3.4 million to $8.5 million. With only four condos per floor, each will have a corner view, large terrace and elevator, which will open directly into the condo's foyer. Owners will have access to all of the hotel's services. Starwood Hotels & Resorts, SR Hotel Development Company and Trammell Crow Residential are the development partners on the project.

Tombstoner
Mar 11, 2008, 1:08 PM
^^^

Stupid question: I've always heard about all these units with private elevators, but I can't imagine a 50-unit building with 50 elevators (the lobby alone would be a maze). Can someone explain?

dirtybird
Mar 11, 2008, 1:47 PM
^^^

Stupid question: I've always heard about all these units with private elevators, but I can't imagine a 50-unit building with 50 elevators (the lobby alone would be a maze). Can someone explain?

They're usually called "semi" private elevators. The buildings that have them usually only have a few units per floor. Let's say a building has four units per floor and four elevators. Each residence will essentially have their own elevators that they share only with others below and above them. You do not see your next door neighbor. If you ride up the elevator with other people in it, they probably live in the same floor plan as you except on a different floor. The elevator usually opens up to a private foyer/hallway that leads to the unit's front door. I've been to Park Avenue condos in Buckhead. It's fun to see how the owners decorate their private foyer/hallway differently when riding up the elevator.

In the movies, I've seen some homes where the elevator opens up directly to the living room with no foyer/hallway. How does that work?

joey
Mar 11, 2008, 3:05 PM
In the movies, I've seen some homes where the elevator opens up directly to the living room with no foyer/hallway. How does that work?

In this building, it may just be two elevators, each with a front and rear door. With an access card granting permission for the elevator to open a particular door on a particular floor, it would be straightforward for it to open into someone's living room.

SteveD
Mar 11, 2008, 3:24 PM
Steve, do you mean the reno of the old hotel or the redo of Executive Park itself?

the old hotel

Tombstoner
Mar 11, 2008, 8:31 PM
In this building, it may just be two elevators, each with a front and rear door. With an access card granting permission for the elevator to open a particular door on a particular floor, it would be straightforward for it to open into someone's living room.

joey and dirtybird -- thanks. that makes sense; i knew there had to be an elegant solution.

Andrea
Mar 11, 2008, 8:44 PM
I think it may have. I go by there all the time, and the last 2 weeks I have seen no activity at all. The cranes haven't moved, nobody on the site, etc.

It does seem that work has stopped. Wonder what's up? Looks like they're also about to demo the apartments across the street.

atlantaguy
Mar 11, 2008, 9:54 PM
Yeah, the same people that are/were building Skyline bought that block from Connie Rose for a fortune!

I really do think work has halted at the Skyline. I'll be over there tomorrow and check it out and report back.

jobe
Mar 12, 2008, 8:38 PM
A "source" at Brasfield confirmed that it has stopped.

Harry Cane
Mar 12, 2008, 9:20 PM
Oh, brother, not another hole in the ground that'll sit there for a while.

Muskavon
Mar 12, 2008, 9:22 PM
A "source" at Brasfield confirmed that it has stopped.

How far along was this site?

And...any guess on if stoppage means "dead, dead" or just "wait till things are better, dead"?

atlantaguy
Mar 13, 2008, 3:03 PM
Yeah, I can confirm there is absolutely no activity on the site at all.

This is the first instance I can think of locally where they have actually walked away from something so far along. They were already up to the 4th or 5th floor.......

joey
Mar 13, 2008, 3:35 PM
This is the first instance I can think of locally where they have actually walked away from something so far along. They were already up to the 4th or 5th floor.......

Ha ha, not even close. The Waterford on Piedmont (across from the Publix/WaMu on the cusp of Midtown) topped out (~12 floors?), then sat like a concrete relic of bombed out Warsaw for almost two years.

atlantaguy
Mar 13, 2008, 3:44 PM
I completely forgot about that one, joey. But I really meant in this cycle.....

Andrea
Mar 13, 2008, 4:41 PM
Someone should go to the Wine and Cheese Event next week and find out what's happening.

http://www.theskylinereport.com/mark-your-calendars/

atlantaguy
Mar 13, 2008, 4:55 PM
Andrea, I just spoke with "Gina" at the number given to RSVP for the Wine & Cheese event from your link. According to her, the halt in construction has to do with some sort of inspection issue? I guess time will tell............

trainiac
Mar 13, 2008, 5:01 PM
Ha ha, not even close. The Waterford on Piedmont (across from the Publix/WaMu on the cusp of Midtown) topped out (~12 floors?), then sat like a concrete relic of bombed out Warsaw for almost two years.

You know, I've never talked to anybody who lived in that building. Up on that tall hill-top they must have some awesome views.

smArTaLlone
Mar 13, 2008, 7:53 PM

It tough times in real estate. The Mandarin in Dallas suddenly stopped construction recently and they were halfway through building the parking deck.

smArTaLlone
Mar 13, 2008, 8:19 PM
Fare ranging from Waffle House to high-end steaks added to menu

By LEON STAFFORD
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/03/13/dtownres_0314.html)

Published on: 03/13/08

Encouraged by the steady uptick in new downtown residents, tourists and office workers, restaurateurs are opening new places to eat in Atlanta's city center this year.

A smorgasbord of choices — from local standbys like Waffle House to popular national chains like Legal Sea Foods— will soon be serving food for diners in the heart of Georgia's capital.

If they do well, restaurant industry leaders say, others could follow. Atlanta's downtown has been underserved and has a lot of room to grow.

"They are catching up with Midtown and Buckhead," said Ron Wolf, executive director of the Georgia Restaurant Association. "There is an increase in demand."

Some already are meeting that demand. Café Circa is serving coffee in Sweet Auburn; Peasant Bistro, across from Centennial Olympic Park, is filling tables for lunch. Stella Neighborhood Trattoria is making dinner available near Oakland Cemetery.

Other coming restaurants include the trendy Crescent Moon franchise, Il Mulino at the 191 building on Peachtree Street and Tokyo 2020 in the Healey Building.

The caveat in this rosy picture is the economy. Americans are tightening their belts in the face of rising gas prices and falling home values. Food prices are going up, which puts further pressure on restaurants, especially since few can pass on the additional costs without making their menus too pricey for some diners.

How each restaurant fares depends on how much its target demographic is hurting, said Harold Shumacher, an Atlanta restaurant broker and head of the Shumacher Group. Visiting oil executives, for example, may not have to make dining trade-offs the same way someone in the hard hit real estate community would.

"The pattern of consuming out of the house is not going to change," because of the economic slowdown, Shumacher said. "It's where you go that will change."

The boom is coming on the heels of renewed interest in downtown Atlanta because of the Georgia Aquarium and the new World of Coca-Cola, dining industry leaders said. The relocations of businesses like Cousins Properties and the American Cancer Society to downtown also have given more reason to open new eateries.

"If you put all these things together, they are a very active incubator for restaurants," said Tim Mescon, dean of the Coles College of Business at Kennesaw State University. "It's finally time for the restaurant business to catch up."

Industry watchers said the interest in downtown is a second wave of sorts. The area saw a boom around the 1996 Summer Olympics, only to see many of those restaurants disappear after the recession of 2001.

Restaurateurs today have to carefully study the market and make sure the numbers work — especially when considering an area where many of their customers are not local, said Dave Pavesic, a hospitality professor at Georgia State University.

He suspects, for example, that before Legal Sea Foods agreed to build at the new Hilton Garden Inn downtown, the Boston-based chain carefully weighed competition it expects from McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants, just doors down the street at CNN Center.

"It's all strategic planning," he said. "It's nothing that's being planned on a whim."

Untapped potential

The industry knows what it's up against, said Wolf of the Georgia Restaurant Association. Across the city, he's talked to restaurateurs who have reported everything from record business to double-digit dips. He thinks the economic malaise will be short and the new downtown restaurants will survive.

"As long as the economy doesn't slide further, I think they'll be fine," he said.

Maureen Kalmanson, operator of the Peasant Bistro, said she believes that downtown has a lot of potential. The restaurant has been open for about a couple of weeks and business has been strong.

"We're at the ground floor of what's going on down here," she said.

National restaurant giant Jeffrey Chodorow, who is opening Maxim Prime at the Glenn Hotel this weekend, said he was lured to Atlanta because of the strength of its convention, sporting and tourist numbers.

"There is a lot happening in downtown Atlanta," said Chodorow, who added that he wants to bring other concepts to Georgia's capital. "There are lot of offices, a lot of lunch opportunities. Conventions are also big and I think we will appeal a lot to the sports crowd."

Chodorow said he joined forces with the Glenn because he likes independent boutiques that match his restaurants' styles.

"We hope we create the destinations that people want to go to," he said.

john3eblover
Mar 13, 2008, 9:29 PM
cool article.

scania
Mar 14, 2008, 2:16 PM

Don't worry, I know one of the people working on the project. The work is suppose to restart within the next ten days. There was a problem with two permits, that had never been taken care of which eventually halted the work.

Andrea
Mar 14, 2008, 3:21 PM
Scania, that's good news. That section of Piedmont is really getting built up. If it becomes part of the Buckhead CID that could help with traffic and streetscape improvements, too.

NativeAtlantan
Mar 14, 2008, 8:34 PM
I still believe that area is the most dense area of the city....anyone care to debate that?

Terminus
Mar 15, 2008, 12:48 AM

Museum Tower stopped around 9 or 10 for several months too and just sat there.

GNofAtlanta
Mar 15, 2008, 3:57 PM
Part of Margaret Mitchell property may be sold
Competing developers' plans include building underground parking, retail or a hotel

By KEVIN DUFFY

Published on: 03/14/08

The Atlanta Historical Society is considering selling part of the Margaret Mitchell property in the heart of Midtown.

Two developers, Jamestown and Dewberry Capital, have made competing offers for the rear portion of the property that fronts Crescent Avenue.

Plans are to build underground parking and a mixed-use building with retail and residences, or a hotel.

Currently, that land -- less than acre -- contains surface parking and a former bank branch that's the "Gone With the Wind Movie Museum," part of the Margaret Mitchell House & Museum experience.

At its Jan. 28 board meeting, the trustees voted 17-8 to sell the land at a future date. That date could be the board's next meeting on March 31.

The building at Peachtree and 10th streets where Mitchell wrote most of "Gone With the Wind" in apartment No. 1 would remain untouched.

"It doesn't affect the Margaret Mitchell homeplace at all," trustee Sam Massell, president of the Buckhead Coalition, said.

According to minutes from the January meeting, requests for information about developing the site were sent to 46 developers two years ago. The historical society received 13 responses and narrowed the choice to Jamestown.

"The Jamestown offer includes payment of $7 million in cash," the minutes say. "Of that $7 million, $5 million would go to the endowment of the Margaret Mitchell House & Museum and $2 million would seed a capital campaign" to build a new visitors center.

Mary Rose Taylor, former executive director of the Margaret Mitchell House & Museum, then presented another $7 million offer, from Dewberry, according to the minutes.

"Because of the Dewberry offer, the planned-for vote regarding the Jamestown offer was not taken," the minutes say. Instead, the trustees approved the idea of selling the property for at least $7 million.

Historical society trustees were reluctant to comment because no deal has been finalized.

"It's being discussed," was all board member Sheffield Hale would say. Manning, the chairwoman, could not be reached for comment.

Sal Cilella, CEO of the Atlanta Historical Society, said, "I can't discuss that because it's in negotiations."

Executives of Dewberry could not be reached for comment.

Matt Bronfman, Jamestown's chief operations officer, said if his company were to buy the land, a glass tower would not be part of the project.

"Anything that would be done over there should be architecturally consistent and fit into the fabric of the neighborhood," Bronfman said. "It should all blend together. The Margaret Mitchell House is an important part of this city's history and you want to do something that really activates the Margaret Mitchell House and embellishes it."

Jamestown, based in Atlanta and Cologne, Germany, uses German money for developments not only here but in New York, San Francisco, Boston and Washington.

In January 2007, Jamestown bought 999 Peachtree, the office building across Peachtree Street from the Margaret Mitchell House. That building is going to be expanded at street level to make it more of a retail destination on the Midtown Mile, a 14-block redevelopment effort loosely based on destinations such as Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

Bronfman said "an ample parking lot below ground really could benefit the entire mile and contribute to having lots of pedestrians on the street. The Midtown Alliance, of course, supports this vision of a below-ground parking lot located at the heart of the mile."

As part of its efforts to beef up the Peachtree-10th intersection, Jamestown has hired Cousins Properties "to manage, lease and enhance 999 Peachtree St." Cousins' job begins April 1.

Shannon Powell, executive vice president of the Midtown Alliance, said "we are very supportive of quality development and development that reinforces the vision of Midtown." The alliance's offices are in the 999 Peachtree building.

The Historical Society took over the Margaret Mitchell attraction in 2004 and it's pretty much revenue neutral, Cilella said. But Massell said any future transaction is "not a distress sale."

Please not Dewberry, not another piece of land for him to hold onto for the next decade.

atlantaguy
Mar 15, 2008, 4:06 PM
Thank you!

You should check out some of the idiotic remarks people have blogged re: this article.

Andrea
Mar 15, 2008, 4:23 PM
It sounds like an excellent idea to me, so long careful attention is given to historic preservation concerns. Surely the Trustees and the History Center will see to that.

Andrea
Mar 15, 2008, 4:30 PM
Connect Atlanta - the city's First Comprehensive Transportation Plan (http://www.connectatlantaplan.com/)

Check out some of the presentations.

smArTaLlone
Mar 15, 2008, 9:45 PM
Part of Margaret Mitchell property may be sold
Competing developers' plans include building underground parking, retail or a hotel

:tup:
Sounds like a great plan (go away Dewberry).

NativeAtlantan
Mar 16, 2008, 1:37 AM
I would prefer if they would move the museum to a less central part of town and allow for higher development at that corner. This change would allow for more continuity and density. I couldn't care any less about the historic preservation of that house...I personally think it's a waste of space.

(four 0 four)
Mar 17, 2008, 3:40 PM
I would prefer if they would move the museum to a less central part of town and allow for higher development at that corner. This change would allow for more continuity and density. I couldn't care any less about the historic preservation of that house...I personally think it's a waste of space.
You're Andy Young, right?
This kind of attitude resulted in several amazing buildings being razed and has contributed to the lack of visible history in Atlanta. I'm just as excited as the next person about all the new developments but not every block needs to be developed to the max...there's nothing wong with having this little museum mixed in with the highrises.

joey
Mar 17, 2008, 4:08 PM
You're Andy Young, right?
This kind of attitude resulted in several amazing buildings being razed and has contributed to the lack of visible history in Atlanta. I'm just as excited as the next person about all the new developments but not every block needs to be developed to the max...there's nothing wong with having this little museum mixed in with the highrises.

I agree. The only problem is that every project in Midtown built after the 1960s and until 5 years ago included at least one corner containing a plaza, lawn, or surface lot. To get a retail-sustainable density in that area, projects from now-forward really need to be built out to the sidewalk on all sides.

It's great that these historic resources have been saved, and that pocket parks and plazas are there. But there's now ample public open space in Midtown, (barring, perhaps, the upper northwest section toward SCAD's dorm) and it's time to fill in the remaining gaps.

Unfortunately, the zoning tends to encourage a certain amount of public space, in that every square inch of private land dedicated into a plaza can be added to allowable density on a higher floor, providing higher-altitude, higher-premium offices and residences. The pedestals seem to be one way of coping with this without resorting to open space, but I wonder if there are other options.

joey
Mar 17, 2008, 4:16 PM
Thinking about FARs makes me wonder . . .

There were some rumblings a while back about the plazas and folliage-land around the Bank of America tower being potentially redeveloped into new buildings.

Back when the tower was built, were there any FAR restrictions on that land? If so, I'm assuming that density from the non-built land in the parcel was used to get the added height in the tower.

If that's the case, is there any permitted density left on that parcel from which even a single extra building could be erected without lopping off floors from the tower?

Certainly, City Council could authorize a variance to permit additional buildings there, but I could see other owners in Midtown suing City Council over spot zoning if they were to allow BoA a freebie without giving them a bonus as well.

NativeAtlantan
Mar 17, 2008, 7:03 PM
I like having the house, just not on that corner....it's very disruptive to what's trying to be done in Midtown.

Maybe I don't think it's a waste of space, but I don't think it's the best use of THAT space.

If I go to a museum, I don't have to feel warm and fuzzy that I am at the exactly corner where she wrote a book. Put it on Juniper or Piedmont, amongst the other low-rise uses....

citywalker
Mar 17, 2008, 9:40 PM
I like having the house, just not on that corner....it's very disruptive to what's trying to be done in Midtown.

Maybe I don't think it's a waste of space, but I don't think it's the best use of THAT space.

If I go to a museum, I don't have to feel warm and fuzzy that I am at the exactly corner where she wrote a book. Put it on Juniper or Piedmont, amongst the other low-rise uses....

If I'm not mistaken that house was originally on a different lot and was moved to it's current location to be saved and designated as the historic site it is now......I like it there myself just because there really is so little that has been saved from the past but who knows maybe theyll put it on a truck and plop it in the hole they dug for ONYX...seems like it would fit :D

Terminus
Mar 17, 2008, 10:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken that house was originally on a different lot and was moved to it's current location to be saved and designated as the historic site it is now......I like it there myself just because there really is so little that has been saved from the past but who knows maybe theyll put it on a truck and plop it in the hole they dug for ONYX...seems like it would fit :D

You are mistaken. It was there, but there were commercial storefronts between the building and Peachtree. As we all know, if was fairly common in Atlanta at one time for homes to have storefronts added when a street commercialized. There are still a few examples, including The Eagle and a few buildings on Moreland Avenue.

I for one, think the house is fine there and wouldn't want it to move. The presence of the Federal Reserve to the north and the Palmer House to the south has already killed any chance of retailing on that side of the street. I think we should keep the small quirks that make Midtown Midtown. It's essential for it's long-term identity and success.

Terminus
Mar 17, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thinking about FARs makes me wonder . . .

There were some rumblings a while back about the plazas and folliage-land around the Bank of America tower being potentially redeveloped into new buildings.

Back when the tower was built, were there any FAR restrictions on that land? If so, I'm assuming that density from the non-built land in the parcel was used to get the added height in the tower.

If that's the case, is there any permitted density left on that parcel from which even a single extra building could be erected without lopping off floors from the tower?

Certainly, City Council could authorize a variance to permit additional buildings there, but I could see other owners in Midtown suing City Council over spot zoning if they were to allow BoA a freebie without giving them a bonus as well.

1. The tower is in the Downtown SPI because it's in Downtown, not Midtown.

2. That project is built below FAR. It's only around an 8.0 non-residential, but is zoned for 12 non-residential and 7.0 residential. There's a lot more capacity.

3. There was a plan for buildings on the front while the project was being permitted. The Bureau of Planning pushed and pushed for it, and the developer was about to bend, but then Mayor Young got involved and told Planning staff to let the developer do what he wanted.

3. Also, variances cannot be granted for density or use, only metrics.

(four 0 four)
Mar 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
As we all know, if was fairly common in Atlanta at one time for homes to have storefronts added when a street commercialized. There are still a few examples, including The Eagle and a few buildings on Moreland Avenue.
That reminded me of the huge victorian home that sat in the middle of the block where CVS and Spire are located.

joey
Mar 18, 2008, 4:55 AM
3. Also, variances cannot be granted for density or use, only metrics.

Is that a state law?

Most everywhere else, a City Council is a legislature with legislative discretion. A variance, ordinarily, is no different than any other ordinance, and so, subject to Constitutional or state-law issues, a City Council can do whatever it wants. (Note, I mean a "variance" specifically, and not a "special exception")

And, re: the building -- I didn't realize it was in "downtown" -- that would seem to change things quite a bit.

joey
Mar 18, 2008, 4:56 AM
That reminded me of the huge victorian home that sat in the middle of the block where CVS and Spire are located.

Was it next to the old Cabana hotel, or did it precede it?

RobMidtowner
Mar 18, 2008, 1:09 PM
The presence of the Federal Reserve to the north and the Palmer House to the south has already killed any chance of retailing on that side of the street.

I was walking by the Federal Reserve the other day and it seems like there's enough room to add in a retail strip fronting Peachtree (similar to what's being done at the Mansion)...how likely do you think that could happen?

atlantaguy
Mar 18, 2008, 1:58 PM
Rob, the Fed would never allow that (security).

Andrea
Mar 18, 2008, 3:52 PM
Is that a state law?

Joey, it's my understanding that this is more a matter of city policy. (I may be wrong but I haven't seen it written anywhere).

And yeah, BOA is right at the northern edge of downtown. I think North Avenue is the official as well as the traditional boundary.

Terminus
Mar 18, 2008, 5:26 PM
Is that a state law?

Most everywhere else, a City Council is a legislature with legislative discretion. A variance, ordinarily, is no different than any other ordinance, and so, subject to Constitutional or state-law issues, a City Council can do whatever it wants. (Note, I mean a "variance" specifically, and not a "special exception")

And, re: the building -- I didn't realize it was in "downtown" -- that would seem to change things quite a bit.

In this case it's very clearly city. Variances are heard by the BZA, not Council. The Council could change the Code to allow them to grant variances concurrent with rezoning, but until they do that it can't be done (believe me, it's been tried several times).

(four 0 four)
Mar 18, 2008, 10:20 PM
Was it next to the old Cabana hotel, or did it precede it?
If my memory is correct, The Cabana was on the north corner and there was a parking lot that went back to Cypress on the south side of that block of Peachtree. The house sat pretty much in the middle of the block behind the L-shaped Cabana. Have I lost my mind?

citywalker
Mar 19, 2008, 4:24 AM
Terminus you are right I was mistaken about the house being moved to THAT lot however my dusty memory was somewhat right...the house was originally in a different spot on that property and was moved in 1913 to a Crescent Street address I knew I had read somewhere it had moved but just not as far as I had thought so for that mistake I apologize ;) I still like the house on that corner :)

ATLaffinity
Mar 19, 2008, 4:58 PM
i'd keep the mitchell house (how much is left of the original?) there.

i agree with earlier posters who've said an uninterrupted string of skyscrapers doesn't make for much of a city.

also why i wouldn't want retail in front of the fed.

(four 0 four)
Mar 19, 2008, 8:53 PM
i'd keep the mitchell house (how much is left of the original?) there.
I believe most of the exterior except the roof survived the fires (and abandonment) but about the only part of the interior that is still original is MM's apartment.

Chris Creech
Mar 21, 2008, 2:50 AM

I've never understood this argument against the house being there, "Best" use of space is always debateable and written in smoke from one moment to the next, but if the decision is a unique cultural icon/institution with wordwide cache, or putting up another Novare/Woods condo tower, I'd certainly vote to keep the cultural icon.

Like Terminus pointed out, it's those sort of organic non-master planned areas that can give an area some character. It's just a natural part of the give and take of city development.

Do we really want block after block of spire knock-offs jsut for the sake of density? Doesn't that just get to be the new architectural equivalent of souless surburban strip malls?

If it really comes down to it later and that corner becomes such a prize, they can always sell off the surrounding land, build a supertall, and cantilever a glassed in lobby/galleria/foodcourt over the corner and still keep the house as a centerpiece. Much like the Citicorp Tower owes it's unique design to having to save the historic church in it's foundation.

Also, as much as many people here would like to see midtown become manhattanized overnight, at some point, maybe not too far down the road, when everybit of Peacthree and environs is dense highrises - we're going to be walking along that intersection and noticing what a nice change it is for that area to be open and sunny and have a few open patches of grass.

Also keep in mind that as much as the Reserve doesnt really follow the urbanism rules we'd like it too, that an occassion lower midrise set back from the street now and then actually gives you a nice open view of the rest of the buildings. That's intersection has one of the best views of the 14th street skyline for just that reason.

MarketsWork
Mar 21, 2008, 3:19 AM
:tup: Well said, and I agree with you. Variety truly is the spice of life, and the best little surprises seem to be the ones that weren't planned.

NativeAtlantan
Mar 21, 2008, 4:38 PM
No, I don't want Spire knock-offs, but I don't want tiny houses on 10% of lots right in the heart of a high density area either. I know this is how you guys feel about it, but I'm just stating my opinion. I've never said it's anything more than my opinion.

Being so close to the MARTA station, my opinion is that we need to maximize the density in that area wherever possible.

Again, I like having the Mitchell house in Atlanta to add to the cultural/tourism mix, but I would prefer if it was moved to Piedmont/Juniper. I have never even visited but will probably take my son one day.

Andrea
Mar 21, 2008, 5:44 PM
Great set of articles in the Atlanta Business Chronicle about all the doings downtown. I won't try to summarize it but pick up a copy if you're a fan of downtown.

Trae
Mar 22, 2008, 1:22 AM
Some new renderings of the Juniper side of 12th and Midtown:

http://www.12thandmidtown.com/img/images/enlarge/4x3_enlarge.jpg

And some cool street-level renderings:

http://www.12thandmidtown.com/img/images/enlarge/3x2_enlarge.jpg

http://www.12thandmidtown.com/img/images/enlarge/3x3_enlarge.jpg

http://www.12thandmidtown.com/img/images/enlarge/3x4_enlarge.jpg

the local
Mar 22, 2008, 5:39 AM
Am I a minority of one in not being a fan at all of the 2nd phase of 12th and midtown? The massing of the two buildings feels very boxy and uninspired. They seems to hit the street in passable fashion, but above the street they just aren't doing it for me.

citywalker
Mar 22, 2008, 10:19 AM
agreed....too bad the developers don't do their renderings and then lurk around on these threads to see what everyone has to say before hitting the drawing board one more time before they build

MarketsWork
Mar 22, 2008, 2:24 PM
Am I a minority of one in not being a fan at all of the 2nd phase of 12th and midtown? The massing of the two buildings feels very boxy and uninspired. They seems to hit the street in passable fashion, but above the street they just aren't doing it for me.

I'm sure there are many people who would agree with you. But that just proves how opinions vary on everything -- and never more than in matters of taste and beauty. That's why we have so many popular styles of music, art, dance, clothes, cars -- even varied styles and disciplines for riding horses. The only thing they all have in common is the absolute certainty that their own preferences are the best. But that's what makes a world. Besides, if architects and builders had to reach a consensus with every design, few things would ever get built -- and what did would probably resemble the committee-designed commie blocks of the Stalin era. People dream differently, but the combinations of their different dreams makes for a more beautiful and interesting world.

cabasse
Mar 22, 2008, 2:29 PM
and in the market-driven world of music, we're given the wonders of britney spears and young jeezy.

seriously though, phase 2 isn't half bad in my book...

jobe
Mar 23, 2008, 5:26 PM
So am I just not looking at these right...or are they going to block the views of all their own condo owners who are overlooking Peachtree, with phase two?

foxmccleod
Mar 23, 2008, 6:50 PM
So am I just not looking at these right...or are they going to block the views of all their own condo owners who are overlooking Peachtree, with phase two?

The middle section facing Peachtree will be able to look between the two towers of phase 2, while the north and south Peachtree facing sections will be able to look north and south.

tdawg
Mar 24, 2008, 1:00 AM
Like New York, Atlanta is going to have learn the merits of location over views as it (hopefully) continues to urbanize and densify.

RobMidtowner
Mar 24, 2008, 1:21 AM
One of the best views from 1010 midtown will be the condos on the curve where you can see all the way up Peachtree to downtown. That's gotta be sweet! :tup:

jobe
Mar 25, 2008, 1:48 AM
It'll be interesting to get up there and see what they're really like. It just seems like they're blocking themselves...unless you count walking out on the balcony so you can see left and right. I'm really saying; sitting in your home and looking out the window, you'll be looking at another building. But I agree with tdawg; people need to get used to "urban living".

littlepnut
Mar 25, 2008, 1:49 PM
One of the best views from 1010 midtown will be the condos on the curve where you can see all the way up Peachtree to downtown. That's gotta be sweet! :tup:

I will half to give you two thumbs up on that one!!!

:tup: :tup:

That would be pretty awesome!!

RobMidtowner
Apr 8, 2008, 12:54 PM
Metropolitan Center at 17th and Spring is now fenced off with signs advertising the development....any guess on when the project will actually begin construction?

ThrashATL
Apr 8, 2008, 1:25 PM
Metropolitan Center at 17th and Spring is now fenced off with signs advertising the development....any guess on when the project will actually begin construction?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/113830985_09f377146d.jpg

(four 0 four)
Apr 8, 2008, 2:06 PM
^^ Cute!

The mess formerly known as The Fountain on Peachtree now has a demolition sign on it. The building is located in front of the Shepherd Spinal Center at Piedmont Hospital. Its about 10-12 stories and was condos several years ago (complete with a bronze sculpture of some herons in a fountain-hence the name) but I believe its been part of the center for a while. Someone tried to gussy up the building with a new crown and other classic details but made the building even uglier...it will not be missed.
While more than likely an addition to the center, I hope its Peachtree address will result in something much grander than what is currently there.

smArTaLlone
Apr 8, 2008, 8:40 PM

They originally announced (http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2007/03/05/story1.html) they would start last August. In recent news reports they have said they would start this spring.

In another article (http://www.midtownmile.com/Docs/FDR_07_03_16.pdf) last year, they spoke as if they were already close to signing tenants.

“If activity is as high as we expect, we will be breaking ground.”
Based on discussions with brokers and prospective tenants, Folger said there is a strong demand for his office product to come online.

“If we continue at this pace, we will have a tenant lined up by the time we break ground,” said Folger

Harry Cane
Apr 8, 2008, 9:28 PM
Driving home from work today I noticed they were putting the long canvas advertising the whole length of the fencing. Might be imminent.

littlepnut
Apr 9, 2008, 1:43 PM
Driving home from work today I noticed they were putting the long canvas advertising the whole length of the fencing. Might be imminent.

I think it depends on who owns the property and the zone!!!

Chris Creech
Apr 11, 2008, 1:44 PM
Anyone heard anything about the status of the Trump Tower? after getting the fence up it seems like there's been no activity at all.

It just makes me wonder, cause that's what they did with the plans for the last trump tower here, when it was going to be between Colony Square and the Park. They did the big announcements, cleared the land, put up the constructon fence then nothing ever happened.

(four 0 four)
Apr 11, 2008, 1:48 PM
From today's Atl Business Chronicle:
Condo developer Novare Group Inc. is pulling back its Buckhead ambitions.

Novare recently sold its 1.1-acre site near The Roxy Theatre, where it had planned to build a 250-unit high-rise condo tower with 32,000 square feet of specialty retail shops and a 10,000-square-foot restaurant, according to a March 2007 filing with state planners.

Over the past year, Atlanta's appetite for condos and other residential properties went south as the housing market slumped.

Novare President Jim Borders expects "very little if any new condominium starts in '08 and likely '09 as developers face a difficult environment for capital and construction costs. During this period, we expect to see attractive pricing and low interest rates continue to drive market demand until the current supply of homes is absorbed."
Robin Loudermilk repurchased the site -- a parking lot at the southwest corner of Irby and Roswell roads -- March 31 from Novare. It was an $8 million transaction.

"They decided [a condo tower] was not the right thing to do," said Loudermilk, a real estate developer and president and chief operating officer of Atlanta-based Aaron Rents Inc. (NYSE: RNT).

"While we were successful with Wood Partners in completing our sales at Realm in Buckhead, we simply could not get to a construction cost on the Roxy site that would allow for a similar price point," Borders said. "We offered the property back to Charlie [Loudermilk] and Robin, who will be able to use the site in connection with the Roxy renovation, which will be great for Buckhead. We wish them the absolute best in that."

Loudermilk's preliminary plans call for a 15- to 18-story, 270-room hotel.

Andrea
Apr 14, 2008, 11:17 PM
Excavation work at Phipps Tower. The cranes across the street are for Two Alliance Center.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/2414942896_419d34f432_b.jpg

Andrea
Apr 18, 2008, 12:02 PM
An article in the ABC says a new Crowne Plaza will be built at Peacthree and Peachtree Avenue (a block south of SOB). It's described as a luxury hotel designed to compete with the Intercontinental, etc. 17 stories, 238 rooms, 12,000 sf of retail, underground parking, condos on top. Possibly a new Bob Amick restaurant. Construction to begin in August with an opening in 2009.