PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Project Thread III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Behind_Phips
Jan 24, 2008, 8:40 PM
Look at the photos above, which area would you say is more dense.

Trae
Jan 24, 2008, 9:51 PM
Cumberland easily....

It should be real obvious which of the three are densest (Buckhead, Perimeter, and Cumberland).

Behind_Phips
Jan 24, 2008, 10:47 PM
Cumberland easily....

It should be real obvious which of the three are densest (Buckhead, Perimeter, and Cumberland).

How did you come to that conclusion? Seriously, it is obvious looking at these pictures Buckhead is the densest.

Just because Cumberland has more office space does not mean it is the densest. Buckhead has substantially more retail and residential space. Also, Cumberland's CBD has more land than Buckhead's CBD.

Behind_Phips
Jan 24, 2008, 10:57 PM
Density Definition

the state or quality of being dense; compactness; closely set or crowded condition.
2. stupidity; slow-wittedness; obtuseness.
3. the number of inhabitants, dwellings, or the like, per unit area: The commissioner noted that the population density of certain city blocks had fallen dramatically.
4. Physics. mass per unit volume.

wxjay
Jan 24, 2008, 11:24 PM
^OK, you really need to settle down man. You are resorting now to posting definitions of a term to make a point about density? WHO CARES???

The point we are trying to make is that Cumberland has potential and is moving forward toward becoming a major focus for retail, office, and residential in the Atlanta area. Period. You are way too Buckhead/Perimeter-centric to just recognize that. The Cumberland area is developing and moving toward higher retail, more density, and more residential. It takes time. Buckhead didn't just appear as it is today.

So can we move on to talk about other things and stop this silly little game of you trying to use a dictionary to go against others' opinions?

Trae
Jan 24, 2008, 11:39 PM
How did you come to that conclusion? Seriously, it is obvious looking at these pictures Buckhead is the densest.

Just because Cumberland has more office space does not mean it is the densest. Buckhead has substantially more retail and residential space. Also, Cumberland's CBD has more land than Buckhead's CBD.

It was a bad joke I guess. Should have put a smiley.

Buckhead is easily the densest of the three.

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 1:19 AM
^OK, you really need to settle down man. You are resorting now to posting definitions of a term to make a point about density? WHO CARES???

The point we are trying to make is that Cumberland has potential and is moving forward toward becoming a major focus for retail, office, and residential in the Atlanta area. Period. You are way too Buckhead/Perimeter-centric to just recognize that. The Cumberland area is developing and moving toward higher retail, more density, and more residential. It takes time. Buckhead didn't just appear as it is today.

So can we move on to talk about other things and stop this silly little game of you trying to use a dictionary to go against others' opinions?

Who do you think you are talking to?

I posted that definition 1) I was being a smartass 2) Because I was not sure that some of you understood the term density.

I don't believe I ever said that Cumberland does not have the potential to be urban. I said nothing they have done to date justifies being called urban development.

From the messages people have left on this thread, people seem to be enjoying this debate. So you can 1) Not read this thread or 2) Start a new topic.

Next....

wxjay
Jan 25, 2008, 2:44 AM
Well, I guess we'll just move on.

Dragonheart8588
Jan 25, 2008, 3:39 AM

I posted that definition 1) I was being a smartass 2) Because I was not sure that some of you understood the term density.

I don't believe I ever said that Cumberland does not have the potential to be urban. I said nothing they have done to date justifies being called urban development.

From the messages people have left on this thread, people seem to be enjoying this debate. So you can 1) Not read this thread or 2) Start a new topic.

Next....

It looks like somebody needs to get some.;)

Hybrid0NE
Jan 25, 2008, 3:45 AM
What did I click myself into?

*Doubleclicks the Los Angeles forum from History* and waits for smoke to clear. :P

STrek777
Jan 25, 2008, 5:14 PM
It looks like somebody needs to get some.;)

hahahahaha cute :)

dante2308
Jan 25, 2008, 6:44 PM

Next....

I'll take you on. Please define "urban" without using ridiculous smart-growth terminology or resorting to a one-size-fits-all approach to how a city should be. By the technical definition, Cumberland is well within the urban area limits of Atlanta. By any definition, a high-rise office tower or apartment is always an urban development. Only in the latter half of the 2oth century has it been implanted in non-urban environments, but nonetheless, it is still an urban environment within the structure itself and thus qualifies to be called an urban development.

The parking situation or landscaping can be downright rural, but as soon as you start cramming thousands into a handful of acres, it's an urban development. Pointless and detrimental maybe, but urban.

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 7:13 PM
I'll take you on. Please define "urban" without using ridiculous smart-growth terminology or resorting to a one-size-fits-all approach to how a city should be. By the technical definition, Cumberland is well within the urban area limits of Atlanta. By any definition, a high-rise office tower or apartment is always an urban development. Only in the latter half of the 2oth century has it been implanted in non-urban environments, but nonetheless, it is still an urban environment within the structure itself and thus qualifies to be called an urban development.

The parking situation or landscaping can be downright rural, but as soon as you start cramming thousands into a handful of acres, it's an urban development. Pointless and detrimental maybe, but urban.

BRING IT ON DANTE!!! OK, point to one development in Cumberland that shows that is moving from a suburban office park to an urban development.

dante2308
Jan 25, 2008, 7:25 PM
BRING IT ON DANTE!!! OK, point to one development in Cumberland that shows that is moving from a suburban office park to an urban development.

The concept of a "suburban office park" itself is urban. The suburban part would be the surroundings, not the buildings themselves. The Worldspan towers aren't what you'd find in any American suburb outside of Georgia. I won't even go into the more contemporary structures.

Dragonheart8588
Jan 25, 2008, 7:25 PM

Why can't we all just Love and Make Love. :D

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 7:28 PM

Sounds like somebody else needs to get some. :notacrook:

dante2308
Jan 25, 2008, 7:28 PM

Angry love-making is the most exciting.

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 7:34 PM
The concept of a "suburban office park" itself is urban. The suburban part would be the surroundings, not the buildings themselves. The Worldspan towers aren't what you'd find in any American suburb outside of Georgia. I won't even go into the more contemporary structures.

I am looking at Cumberland collectively when I say it is a suburban office park. From a lack of mass-transit, lack of multi-use towers and lack of a zero lot line and surroundings. Have you ever been to Tyson Corner in VA? It is a DC suburb and has 32 Million square feet of office space and has more high end shopping than Buckhead. Also Bethesda, MD. I think Cumberland has 23 Million.

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 7:42 PM

Cover your eyes Andrea!
:whip:

dante2308
Jan 25, 2008, 7:43 PM
I am looking at Cumberland collectively when I say it is a suburban office park. From a lack of mass-transit, lack of multi-use towers and lack of a zero lot line and surroundings. Have you ever been to Tyson Corner in VA? It is a DC suburb and has 32 Million square feet of office space and has more high end shopping than Buckhead. Also Bethesda, MD. I think Cumberland has 23 Million.

Height is what I was referring to, but yes, I used to live near DC. I'm not sure about those numbers though and I have no idea about how dense that area actually is. Before anyone notes that I have claimed to live in a lot of places, I just simply have. 13 moves so far.

Anywho, mass transit has nothing to do with urban. It is just a good idea. the same with zero lot line and multi-use. All those are efficient ways to use space but there is no rule stating that a place isn't urban unless they are efficient.

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 7:55 PM
Height is what I was referring to, but yes, I used to live near DC. I'm not sure about those numbers though and I have no idea about how dense that area actually is. Before anyone notes that I have claimed to live in a lot of places, I just simply have. 13 moves so far.

Anywho, mass transit has nothing to do with urban. It is just a good idea. the same with zero lot line and multi-use. All those are efficient ways to use space but there is no rule stating that a place isn't urban unless they are efficient.

Dante, maybe you can answer my question about Cumberland - Is it just developing or is it becoming urban? Also, would you say Alpharetta is urban?

dante2308
Jan 25, 2008, 8:02 PM
Dante, maybe you can answer my question about Cumberland - Is it just developing or is it becoming urban? Also, would you say Alpharetta is urban?

Considering my permanent address is in Alpharetta, I would say that there are urban areas to it and that I can get everything I need and want without a car there. Surprise! You have to define urban without using smart-growth crap terms. Place Cumberland as it is today in the center of rural Georgia and it will spawn it's own metropolitan area. Contrast my friend, contrast.

STrek777
Jan 25, 2008, 8:04 PM
dante2308

Cover your eyes Andrea!
:whip:

BP oh my goodness I had no idea you used whips?!?! ;) Well just make sure you remember the sling and hand-cuffs too! :banana:

Dragonheart8588
Jan 25, 2008, 8:06 PM
BP oh my goodness I had no idea you used whips?!?! ;) Well just make sure you remember the sling and hand-cuffs too! :banana:

Yeah, I didn't know he was that kinky. :haha: ;)

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 8:09 PM

Yeah, nothing is better than cutting off the oxygen a bit too.:tup:

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 8:11 PM
Andrea cover your eyes...again. You may not want to open them for awhile. We have a few dirties on here.

STrek777
Jan 25, 2008, 8:34 PM
Yeah, nothing is better than cutting off the oxygen a bit too.:tup:

My poor virgin eyes... oh BP you are going to make me blush.

Dragonheart don't you get cought up in this too or I might just have to say something nice about Delta!! :haha:

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 8:36 PM
My poor virgin eyes... oh BP you are going to make me blush.

Dragonheart don't you get cought up in this too or I might just have to say something nice about Delta!! :haha:

I just peed a little. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 8:39 PM
I'm surprised Fiorenza hasn't chimed in...he's a dirty old man.

Fiorenza
Jan 25, 2008, 8:41 PM
Yesss...?

Fiorenza
Jan 25, 2008, 8:42 PM
My wife says I can't chew gum and play ball.

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 8:45 PM
Yesss...?

There he is...I knew he was lurking. Don't act all holier than thou. You are just as dirty as the rest of us!:notacrook:

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 8:46 PM
My wife says I can't chew gum and play ball.

Hey, what you do in your bedroom is your business.

Fiorenza
Jan 25, 2008, 8:57 PM
I didn't say it, my wife did.

Fiorenza
Jan 25, 2008, 9:02 PM
Oh, where's Andrea? This needs her input.

Uncover your eyes, Andrea...jump in this cesspool!

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 9:06 PM
Oh, where's Andrea? This needs her input.

No, keep her out of it. She's a lady.

Andrea
Jan 25, 2008, 9:14 PM
No, keep her out of it. She's a lady.

Damn straight!!!

I mean, why, yes, I certainly am! :angel:

Behind_Phips
Jan 25, 2008, 9:18 PM
Damn straight!!!

I mean, why, yes, I certainly am! :angel:

I meant Crazy Lady.:notacrook:

Broccoli
Jan 25, 2008, 10:09 PM

I believe it was the great George Costanza who said that the only thing better than makeup sex was fugitive sex.

micropundit
Jan 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
OK, it's 5:25; everybody out of the pool.

STrek777
Jan 25, 2008, 10:23 PM
Since we are all so busy talking about projects ;) I would like to take this moment to ask a question.

Just where in gods name are they going to put the helo-pad? From the look of it that frame looks only strong enough to hold up the facade. :shrug:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r112/strek777/WHotelDowntown.jpg

I have been wanting to get that out for the longest time! Now that I got my release everyone can go back to discussing projects. :P

Behind_Phips
Jan 26, 2008, 3:02 PM
Since we are all so busy talking about projects ;) I would like to take this moment to ask a question.

Just where in gods name are they going to put the helo-pad? From the look of it that frame looks only strong enough to hold up the facade. :shrug:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r112/strek777/WHotelDowntown.jpg

I have been wanting to get that out for the longest time! Now that I got my release everyone can go back to discussing projects. :P

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3541272586592113885

I don't care if it could support a helicopter that space is too narrow. That is just a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

smArTaLlone
Feb 2, 2008, 3:16 PM
Somebody mentioned this a while back...

The Business Chronicle reports that 185,000 square feet of the Macy's building is under contract. The article speculates that the space is about the right size for some big-box retailers that are said to be scouting the city for space such as Target, Fry's Electronics, or Life Time Fitness but could also be divided for several smaller retailers.

Buck
Feb 3, 2008, 8:10 PM
I'd much rather see a Target or Fry's than a Life Time Fitness.

Terminus
Feb 3, 2008, 10:31 PM
Somebody mentioned this a while back...

The Business Chronicle reports that 185,000 square feet of the Macy's building is under contract. The article speculates that the space is about the right size for some big-box retailers that are said to be scouting the city for space such as Target, Fry's Electronics, or Life Time Fitness but could also be divided for several smaller retailers.

I'm pretty sure Target had looked at the space a few years back and decided not to because of cost of making the space fit their model, as well as the unproven market.

The only big store that I've heard has expressed interest in the space more recently is Wal-Mart. As much as I don't like them, I do think an urban Wal-Mart on a MARTA line (like this store would be) would do well. The Mall at West End is another site that comes to mind.

trainiac
Feb 4, 2008, 4:26 PM
Don't think I'd seen this posted before:

A favorite Boston seafood joint is set to fly its sail next to the Georgia Aquarium downtown.
Legal Sea Foods will open a 9,000-square-foot restaurant in the first two floors of the Hilton Garden Inn being constructed at 275 Baker St.

The first floor will feature Legal Sea Foods' Oyster/Lobby Bar, while the main restaurant will occupy the second floor.

The hotel and restaurant are scheduled to open next winter, and are part of a $200 million redevelopment of the area near downtown's newest attractions in Centennial Olympic Park.

More in an article on their website (http://www.legalseafoods.com/index.cfm/page/Legal-Sea-Foods-drops-anchor-near-Aquarium/cdid/30657/pid/11282/Campaign/Legal-Sea-Foods-drops-anchor-near-Aquarium/media/web/source/lsflisting)

Yippee

Neosoul
Feb 4, 2008, 5:42 PM
Anybody know why the Hilton Buckhead is listed as under construction on the Atlanta city database page? It's still a proposal right?

Buck
Feb 4, 2008, 7:06 PM
^Mistake. It's fixed now.

Harry Cane
Feb 10, 2008, 3:43 PM
Was at Lenox yesterday lured in by all the sales ads in the paper. btw, if you guys haven't been to the Calvin Klein boutique, they got some great stuff cheap. Had some nice sweaters for under $20.

Anyway, picked up the free issue of Peach. Towards the back (page 111 to be exact) there's an ad for Tivoli with drawings of their projects..Duo, Mezzo, Aqua and.....COMING SOON. Above it ist says "Project Announcement Coming Soon". I rough counted the floors from the rendering (squarish high-rise) and it looks about 45 stories. It looks almost twice as tall as Aqua. Anyone know what that's about?

Neosoul
Feb 10, 2008, 4:37 PM
Was at Lenox yesterday lured in by all the sales ads in the paper. btw, if you guys haven't been to the Calvin Klein boutique, they got some great stuff cheap. Had some nice sweaters for under $20.

Anyway, picked up the free issue of Peach. Towards the back (page 111 to be exact) there's an ad for Tivoli with drawings of their projects..Duo, Mezzo, Aqua and.....COMING SOON. Above it ist says "Project Announcement Coming Soon". I rough counted the floors from the rendering (squarish high-rise) and it looks about 45 stories. It looks almost twice as tall as Aqua. Anyone know what that's about?

I think it's the proposal for the Mandarin Oriental. You can also find it on their website http://www.tivoli-properties.com/ under "mixed use."

jobe
Feb 10, 2008, 7:29 PM
Based on the current state of Mezzo and the 20-ish homes that didn't close at Aqua, I suspect "coming soon" is more like fall of 2009.

smArTaLlone
Feb 14, 2008, 5:51 PM
Mandarin news?

Just recently, stainless steel invitations were hand-delivered to their recipients with an actual seatbelt attached to it.

It reads: Fasten Your Seatbelts. 2/21/08

Then you unbuckle the seatbelt to read: You have been selected as one of only 200 to be the first to hear the industry-shattering news that everyone else will be talking about the next day. This private but high-performance evening will be full of high-octane drinks, food and three pace-setting surprises.

Invitation only.

Hosted by Tivoli.

Let the speculation begin.

Andrea
Feb 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
Wow, this sounds like a pretty big deal!

Vacant Macy's at mall will become Asian store (http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/stories/2008/02/13/macy_0214.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab)

By MICHAEL PEARSON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/13/08

The vacant Macy's department store at Gwinnett Place Mall will be transformed into a giant Asian ethnic shopping destination, developer George Thorndyke announced Wednesday.

Korean retailer Mega Mart will lease the 240,000-square-foot space, at Pleasant Hill Road and I-85 in Duluth, for its first U.S. store, according to Thorndyke.

The plan does not affect the existing Macy's, which occupies space that formerly housed a Rich's department store.

The store's 75,000-square-foot first floor will serve as a grocery. The second floor will offer clothing, housewares and other department store-type goods, while the third floor will have a food court and event facility.

The move accelerates a trend of Asian-themed businesses in the Gwinnett Place area, including the Gwinnett International Farmers Market and other grocers, chasing an increasing number of affluent Asians and Asian Americans living in Gwinnett County.

Thorndyke said the store will also seek to cater to non-Asian customers, with products labeled in English and with English-speaking employees.

By the time the store opens in the spring of 2009, the former Macy's will have been vacant for nearly five years.

"We're excited about this, the mall's excited, the tenants out there are excited," Thorndyke said.

The project is separate from Thorndyke's stalled proposal to build two high-rise condominium towers at the mall. Thorndyke sued after Gwinnett County rejected the plan. That suit is pending.

Thorndyke said he expects to prevail in the litigation and still intends to build the towers, despite the failure of several, similar, high-rise condo projects by other Gwinnett developers in the last year.

Dragonheart8588
Feb 15, 2008, 4:26 AM
Wow, this sounds like a pretty big deal!

Vacant Macy's at mall will become Asian store (http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/stories/2008/02/13/macy_0214.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab)

By MICHAEL PEARSON
Published on: 02/13/08

The vacant Macy's department store at Gwinnett Place Mall will be transformed into a giant Asian ethnic shopping destination, developer George Thorndyke announced Wednesday.

Korean retailer Mega Mart will lease the 240,000-square-foot space, at Pleasant Hill Road and I-85 in Duluth, for its first U.S. store, according to Thorndyke.

The plan does not affect the existing Macy's, which occupies space that formerly housed a Rich's department store.

The store's 75,000-square-foot first floor will serve as a grocery. The second floor will offer clothing, housewares and other department store-type goods, while the third floor will have a food court and event facility.

The move accelerates a trend of Asian-themed businesses in the Gwinnett Place area, including the Gwinnett International Farmers Market and other grocers, chasing an increasing number of affluent Asians and Asian Americans living in Gwinnett County.

Thorndyke said the store will also seek to cater to non-Asian customers, with products labeled in English and with English-speaking employees.

By the time the store opens in the spring of 2009, the former Macy's will have been vacant for nearly five years.

"We're excited about this, the mall's excited, the tenants out there are excited," Thorndyke said.

The project is separate from Thorndyke's stalled proposal to build two high-rise condominium towers at the mall. Thorndyke sued after Gwinnett County rejected the plan. That suit is pending.

Thorndyke said he expects to prevail in the litigation and still intends to build the towers, despite the failure of several, similar, high-rise condo projects by other Gwinnett developers in the last year.

Did you read the comments people left on there? What a bunch of ignorant idiots!

Rail Claimore
Feb 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
Did you read the comments people left on there? What a bunch of ignorant idiots!

They hate Latinos for being "poor and dirty" and they hate Asians for being entrepreneurial. What else is new.

Oh well, every Asian store I go to is usually chalk full of people from ALL races. I think they speak for the majority more than anyone else. Capitalism only knows one color, as Ayn Rand once said.

Andrea
Feb 15, 2008, 1:49 PM
Sounds like a huge shot in the arm for the Gwinnett mall area.

ThrashATL
Feb 15, 2008, 2:24 PM
Sounds like a huge shot in the arm for the Gwinnett mall area.

That mall is dead. Mall of Georgia, Discover Mills, Avenue Webb Gin have killed the old Gwinnett Mall, at least for high end retail.

smArTaLlone
Feb 15, 2008, 2:34 PM
- The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is scouting downtown Atlanta office buildings for at least 100,000 square feet of space, where it can consolidate and expand its workforce.

The NRC could add up to 200 high-paying jobs here over the next four years as it boosts its number of inspectors -- a direct response to more utility companies investing in nuclear power plants.

- Trump Towers Atlanta is considering making the second tower a hotel/condo (mostly hotel). Mark Randall of Wood Partners says that if they do the hotel, they could build both towers at the same time but its not necessary. At this point, construction on phase I is planned for the spring.

The article also mentions that Intercontinental and the Ritz are considering Midtown for a hotel.

tdawg
Feb 15, 2008, 6:50 PM
Wow, i just read those comments on the ajc. how sad. you'd think those people would be proud to have the first US location of a Korean department store.

RobMidtowner
Feb 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
^I wouldn't pay much attention to what's said on ajc blogs...it's anonymous so it's usually a few people stirring the pot and every blog ends up turning into black vs. white, rural vs. urban, uga vs. gt, etc.

(four 0 four)
Feb 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
"it's anonymous so it's usually a few people stirring the pot and every blog ends up turning into black vs. white, rural vs. urban, uga vs. gt, etc."

it typically boils down to dumbass vs. dumbass

AtlMidtowner
Feb 17, 2008, 11:47 PM
You can expect Korean department stores to be high-end, more like Nordstrom or Bloomingdales than Macy's. In most Asian countries, it is traditional to have grocery stores on the bottom or basement level of multi-story department stores. Usually they are the high end grocery stores.

I read the AJC comments as well and am shocked, but not surprised. Koreans have brought so much money to Gwinnett and Atlanta. Most people arent aware of it, but if you are involved in commercial real estate in Atlanta, especially in Gwinnett, DeKalb and north Fulton, the effect of the Korean's money is amazing. They love to invest in strip shopping centers and have contributed the price of commercial land and strip shopping centers to boom!

Blogs will often reflect how incredibly racist our society really is. In person, it is politically incorrect to be a racist, but on blogs, people are anonymous, and the truth comes out. Any anonymous unmoderated blog that deals with politics very quickly becomes racist in nature. Not that all Americans are racists, and not to say the USA has come a long way, but most Americans are in denial of how much farther we have to go

Rail Claimore
Feb 18, 2008, 1:33 AM
You can expect Korean department stores to be high-end, more like Nordstrom or Bloomingdales than Macy's. In most Asian countries, it is traditional to have grocery stores on the bottom or basement level of multi-story department stores. Usually they are the high end grocery stores.

I read the AJC comments as well and am shocked, but not surprised. Koreans have brought so much money to Gwinnett and Atlanta. Most people arent aware of it, but if you are involved in commercial real estate in Atlanta, especially in Gwinnett, DeKalb and north Fulton, the effect of the Korean's money is amazing. They love to invest in strip shopping centers and have contributed the price of commercial land and strip shopping centers to boom!

Blogs will often reflect how incredibly racist our society really is. In person, it is politically incorrect to be a racist, but on blogs, people are anonymous, and the truth comes out. Any anonymous unmoderated blog that deals with politics very quickly becomes racist in nature. Not that all Americans are racists, and not to say the USA has come a long way, but most Americans are in denial of how much farther we have to go

I recall an article (http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200611/200611200008.html) posted in Chosun a bit over a year ago about Koreans in Atlanta. In fact, if the numbers mentioned in the article are to be believed, Georgia might have the third largest ethnic Korean population of any state now after California and New York. 30,000 to 150,000 in a few years seems like a bit much.

I can remember trips with my mom to Buford Highway back in the early 90's. The thing that struck me about the Asian population in Atlanta was how it seemed to be dominated by Koreans. There were other Asian ethnic groups, but the only other sizable group 15 years ago were the Vietnamese. Today there seem to be a whole lot more South Asians, but they still play second fiddle to Koreans.

Meanwhile, the Korean community's influence has spread from Buford Highway to basically half of Gwinnett and parts of North Fulton, and the influx seems to be picking up steam. What really makes Atlanta's Korean community unique is that much of it comes from other places in the US such as California, New York, and Chicago: meaning that most Koreans and the K-community as a whole are new to Atlanta, but are not new to the US.

Dead on with the department store description, btw. I read one comment on there about how "grocery store in a mall seems kinda trashy." Nope, not if you've been to Asia, and many of the average department stores/malls in that part of the world make the good ones here look quite trashy.

It's not even an Asian thing though. In any major urban city, it's common for huge shopping complexes to have a grocery store and food court in the basement. You see it here in Chicago and in New York as well.

AtlMidtowner
Feb 18, 2008, 2:54 AM
I am quite excited to see the Korean department store in Gwinnett Mall.

There are lots of South Asians in Atlanta, probably even rivaling the Koreans in total number; however, the South Asians are more integrated and spread throughout the metro area. Both South Asians and Koreans are big assets to Atlanta, bringing a very well educated population, strong work ethic and entreprenueral skills. (just dont go to a Korean owned Thai or Japanese restaurant, as you will be disappointed in the taste.......and most newer one's are)

Does anyone know why Gwinnett turned down the residential towers by Gwinnett Mall? Seems totally illogical to me! :shrug:

CityFan
Feb 18, 2008, 3:27 AM
Thanks to the direct (or non stop) flight between Atlanta and Seoul, Atlanta is becoming more concentration with Karean population. Evendently opportunities are there for people to grab. Americans set up high standard in making money, i.e. they seek high profits. That leaves room for people who can live for lower profits. Visit grocery stores run by Kareans and you will get easy answers at the scene. You will go back there again and again. On most weekends their stores are packed with shoppers. Personally I rarely shop at American grocery stores. They can't compete in varieties and prices on food. I do shop every day goods at Wal-Mart and clothings at department stores. Once I find competetive places, I will go there too.

Fiorenza
Feb 18, 2008, 3:30 AM
Does anyone know why Gwinnett turned down the residential towers by Gwinnett Mall? Seems totally illogical to me!

Maybe because the developer ran against one of the county commissioners (and lost?)

I spoke yesterday with someone closely associated with the Gwinnett Place CID, and he said the same thing about the Korean community in this area....third largest outside Korea, and fastest growing. Gwinnett Place is far from dead. The area is visited at least once every month by 60% of the population of Gwinnett, far more than the percentage of Gwinnettians that visit Mall of Georgia or Discover Mills. The owners and merchants love all the diversity, and want to see highrise residential in order to build traffic and ambience, but would strongly prefer owner-occupied not apartments.

They are also anxious to rebuild the Pleasant Hill/I-85 intersection to provide the single traffic signal system such as the one at 400/Buckhead Loop. The improvements at that single intersection will cost $150 million, and that is their main governmental lobbying effort. It's a tremendous bottleneck.

Rail Claimore
Feb 18, 2008, 4:20 AM
:previous: I suspect a total rebuild of that interchange will come with GDOTs rebuilding/expansion of I-85 down to 285.

trainiac
Feb 18, 2008, 3:28 PM
They are also anxious to rebuild the Pleasant Hill/I-85 intersection to provide the single traffic signal system such as the one at 400/Buckhead Loop. The improvements at that single intersection will cost $150 million, and that is their main governmental lobbying effort. It's a tremendous bottleneck.

They want a SPUI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPUI)? Sweet. I wish there were more of them around. Of course, I like traffic circles and roundabouts too... check this out

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Athens-Kiffisia-aerial.jpg

That's near Athens - the real Athens :)

Andrea
Feb 18, 2008, 6:08 PM
They want a SPUI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPUI)? Sweet. I wish there were more of them around.

That reminds me of the Buckhead Loop/400 interchange, but I didn't know that's what they are called.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2043/2275061514_be60412172.jpg

mayhem
Feb 18, 2008, 7:05 PM
the 20-ish homes that didn't close at Aqua

Wow, that's a lot! What happened with those? I thought it was sold out before construction was completed.

SteveD
Feb 18, 2008, 7:06 PM
didn't know that either...that was an interesting Wiki read...I remember navigating that intersection took some getting used to...

RobMidtowner
Feb 18, 2008, 7:14 PM
Wow, that's a lot! What happened with those? I thought it was sold out before construction was completed.

I remember a report in the AJC that said it was 95% sold before people moved in.....that's the last I've heard about it.

mayhem
Feb 18, 2008, 7:15 PM
A new children's playground has opened at Centennial Park. I noticed at least one crosswalk button was broken going from the aquarium to the park. How do these things go so easy?

RobMidtowner
Feb 18, 2008, 7:22 PM
^Could be a number of things but the city is usually pretty good at fixing these things, you can report it by calling 404.330.6589.

mayhem
Feb 18, 2008, 9:35 PM
^Could be a number of things but the city is usually pretty good at fixing these things, you can report it by calling 404.330.6589.

Thanks. I called and reported it. Where did you get that number? I should start reporting all the broken shit I see :haha:.

RobMidtowner
Feb 18, 2008, 10:22 PM
It's on the city's website.

littlepnut
Feb 19, 2008, 1:33 AM
It's on the city's website.

really where cause there are some potholes in atl that i need to report i might disappear into one if i'm not careful..... LOL

sabino86
Feb 19, 2008, 2:46 AM
really where cause there are some potholes in atl that i need to report i might disappear into one if i'm not careful..... LOL

:haha:

littlepnut
Feb 19, 2008, 3:04 AM
:haha:

totally agree with you on that

RobMidtowner
Feb 19, 2008, 1:52 PM

http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/publicworks/transportation_110507.aspx

littlepnut
Feb 19, 2008, 2:18 PM
http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/publicworks/transportation_110507.aspx

thanks ROBMIDTOWNER i will be sure to start reporting these :D

Fiorenza
Feb 19, 2008, 9:46 PM
Howell Mill Happenings

Piedmont Hospital/Howell Mill Facility
http://www.taxangle.com/images/howellmill/1.jpg

White Provision Lofts
http://www.taxangle.com/images/howellmill/2.jpg

littlepnut
Feb 21, 2008, 2:50 PM
Howell Mill Happenings

Piedmont Hospital/Howell Mill Facility
http://www.taxangle.com/images/howellmill/1.jpg

White Provision Lofts
http://www.taxangle.com/images/howellmill/2.jpg

they are going up pretty quick especially Piedmont at Howell mill

kingkool
Feb 25, 2008, 3:22 AM

I do not know specifically in this case, but in a lot of cases it has to do with loans from the bank. When the project began, loans were super-easy. People qualified for a loan, signed up for a new condo, two years later and banks are being super-stingy about who they loan money to, makes for a much smaller end market.

micropundit
Feb 26, 2008, 5:35 PM
By KEVIN DUFFY
Published on: 02/26/08
Buckhead is going to see a glut of office space, at least for the short-term, according to a report released Tuesday.

Almost 2 million square feet is under construction and scheduled to come online next year, but the vast majority of that space is unleased.

That's "definitely a cause for concern" for the building property owners, David Demarest, managing director of tenant representation with Jones Lang LaSalle, told commercial real estate representatives.

Jones Lang LaSalle hosted a breakfast meeting to unveil its analysis of the intown office market.

Demarest mentioned three large buildings that are under construction without any prelease agreements: Terminus 200, 3630 Peachtree Road and Two Alliance Center. Another Buckhead building, 3344 Peachtree, which is mixed use, is about half leased.

Crescent Resources has been talking about starting yet another Buckhead office building this year — Phipps Tower.

sabino86
Feb 28, 2008, 12:36 AM
By KEVIN DUFFY
Published on: 02/26/08
Buckhead is going to see a glut of office space, at least for the short-term, according to a report released Tuesday.

Almost 2 million square feet is under construction and scheduled to come online next year, but the vast majority of that space is unleased.

That's "definitely a cause for concern" for the building property owners, David Demarest, managing director of tenant representation with Jones Lang LaSalle, told commercial real estate representatives.

Jones Lang LaSalle hosted a breakfast meeting to unveil its analysis of the intown office market.

Demarest mentioned three large buildings that are under construction without any prelease agreements: Terminus 200, 3630 Peachtree Road and Two Alliance Center. Another Buckhead building, 3344 Peachtree, which is mixed use, is about half leased.

Crescent Resources has been talking about starting yet another Buckhead office building this year — Phipps Tower.

Oh what fun... :help:

Andrea
Feb 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
$24 million bid to buy Buckhead library rejected (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/02/27/buckhead_0228.html)

A quote from the article:

Local developer Ben Carter's $24 million offer to buy and demolish the distinctive Buckhead library was rejected Wednesday by the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library system.

Board trustees voted 8-0, with two abstentions, to keep and renovate the 18-year-old library, which has earned international acclaim for its design.

The vote will be a recommendation to the Fulton County Board of Commissioners, which has the final say.

For library board Chairman John Thomas the issue came down to protecting unique, if controversial, buildings.

"The Buckhead library, for better or for worse, represents a piece of what Atlanta was as the 20th century drew to a close," Thomas said after the vote. "We have a chance to begin a trend of saving similar structures."

Thomas praised Carter's $1.5 billion Streets of Buckhead project, which will turn a former eight-block party zone into a ritzy area to shop, eat, stay and live.

At the same time, he said, buildings that don't fit the mold are worth protecting. "What do we believe? Do we believe it has to be shiny and tall with no character?" Thomas asked. "We have to stop this process."

smArTaLlone
Feb 28, 2008, 5:15 PM
ATLANTA – Georgia State University is kicking off two housing projects this week that will provide more on-campus living choices for students and bring additional vibrancy to downtown Atlanta.

University officials will come together for a groundbreaking ceremony at 2:30 p.m. Thursday (Feb. 28) at the corner of Edgewood and Piedmont avenues, the site of the new Freshman Hall and Special Interest Student Housing.

The projects should be completed by fall 2009 and will bring the university closer to its goal of having 20 percent of students living on campus by 2015.

“It’s another exciting chapter for us,” said Douglass Covey, Georgia State’s vice president of student affairs. “The Freshmen Hall will give our students more of a community-living atmosphere, which is good for making friends and networking, and the Special Interest Housing will provide Georgia State’s first residence experience for fraternities and sororities.”

The Freshmen Hall will be able to accommodate 325 to 350 students in two-bedroom units with a shared bathroom. Each floor will have lounge space, and a dining hall – Georgia State’s first cafeteria style facility – will be located on the ground floor. The Freshmen Hall, including also a mail facility and laundry room, will total 102,000 square feet.

Georgia State’s 24 Greek organizations are excited about the opportunity to live on campus. The Special Interest Student Housing will consist of nine three-story town homes with varying capacity, for a total of 145 beds. Each town home will also include a student activity center and a laundry facility.

The groundbreaking of the Freshmen Hall and Special Interest Housing comes less than a year after Georgia State opened the University Commons at Piedmont Avenue and Ellis Street, a 4.2-acre complex of four apartment buildings that house about 2,000 students.

Atlanta-based Cooper Carry Architects and Juneau Construction Co. will work on the Freshmen Hall project, while Carleston Sanford of Atlanta is designing the Special Interest Student Housing.

Covey will host Thursday’s groundbreaking ceremony and President Carl Patton will be the featured speaker.

Students from Greek organizations and the Freshmen Learning Communities, as well as officials from the Division of Student Affairs will attend.

Off-campus guests and media are directed to park in the M Deck, at the corner of Gilmer Street and Piedmont Avenue.

What: Georgia State breaks ground on two new student housing projects
When: 2:30 p.m. Thursday (Feb. 28)
Where: The corner of Edgewood and Piedmont avenues

Andrea
Feb 28, 2008, 9:09 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2299037754_c7b955da7e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/2298242479_24ce63e451_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2299037686_1cba1cf3d0_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2299037588_a5c3206102_o.jpg

sabino86
Feb 28, 2008, 9:39 PM
ATLANTA – Georgia State University is kicking off two housing projects this week that will provide more on-campus living choices for students and bring additional vibrancy to downtown Atlanta.

University officials will come together for a groundbreaking ceremony at 2:30 p.m. Thursday (Feb. 28) at the corner of Edgewood and Piedmont avenues, the site of the new Freshman Hall and Special Interest Student Housing.

The projects should be completed by fall 2009 and will bring the university closer to its goal of having 20 percent of students living on campus by 2015.

“It’s another exciting chapter for us,” said Douglass Covey, Georgia State’s vice president of student affairs. “The Freshmen Hall will give our students more of a community-living atmosphere, which is good for making friends and networking, and the Special Interest Housing will provide Georgia State’s first residence experience for fraternities and sororities.”

The Freshmen Hall will be able to accommodate 325 to 350 students in two-bedroom units with a shared bathroom. Each floor will have lounge space, and a dining hall – Georgia State’s first cafeteria style facility – will be located on the ground floor. The Freshmen Hall, including also a mail facility and laundry room, will total 102,000 square feet.

Georgia State’s 24 Greek organizations are excited about the opportunity to live on campus. The Special Interest Student Housing will consist of nine three-story town homes with varying capacity, for a total of 145 beds. Each town home will also include a student activity center and a laundry facility.

The groundbreaking of the Freshmen Hall and Special Interest Housing comes less than a year after Georgia State opened the University Commons at Piedmont Avenue and Ellis Street, a 4.2-acre complex of four apartment buildings that house about 2,000 students.

Atlanta-based Cooper Carry Architects and Juneau Construction Co. will work on the Freshmen Hall project, while Carleston Sanford of Atlanta is designing the Special Interest Student Housing.

Covey will host Thursday’s groundbreaking ceremony and President Carl Patton will be the featured speaker.

Students from Greek organizations and the Freshmen Learning Communities, as well as officials from the Division of Student Affairs will attend.

Off-campus guests and media are directed to park in the M Deck, at the corner of Gilmer Street and Piedmont Avenue.

What: Georgia State breaks ground on two new student housing projects
When: 2:30 p.m. Thursday (Feb. 28)
Where: The corner of Edgewood and Piedmont avenues

It was pretty neat to attend this today (I'm in a fraternity at GSU as well as serve on its student government. Also got to meet and get a picture with Shirley Franklin. :yes:

ThrashATL
Feb 28, 2008, 9:59 PM

Great shots Andrea, were you up on the broom today? (running and ducking)

micropundit
Feb 28, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thank you Andrea,great shots!

Andrea
Feb 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
Great shots Andrea, were you up on the broom today? (running and ducking)

Oh, yeah, I'll do anything to get the right angle. Here you see me maneuvering into position for an early morning shot.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2298378073_104742c623_o.jpg

AtlMidtowner
Feb 28, 2008, 10:39 PM
Is the library in any of these shots?

sunking1056
Feb 28, 2008, 11:38 PM

Man, that building is ugly...the one on the left. And you can't even see the giant Bald Eagle/American Flag "God Bless America" picture from this angle.... oy.

cabasse
Feb 29, 2008, 12:22 AM
Is the library in any of these shots?

yeah, it's at the very top of the frame of the photo sunking quoted above. (with the cylindrical projection on its roof)

ATLonthebrain
Feb 29, 2008, 12:48 AM
Hey, did everybody notice the St. Regis under construction? It's getting up there! Looksl ike it's about 10-stories out of the ground.

ATLaffinity
Feb 29, 2008, 1:29 AM
back of library on right edge of pic
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2299037686_1cba1cf3d0_o.jpg

top view of library to the left
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2299037588_a5c3206102_o.jpg[/QUOTE]

he's so lucky to have an architecturally significant library in his mix. what a moron to want to tear it down. looks better than any rendering of SOB

Andrea
Feb 29, 2008, 3:39 AM
he's so lucky to have an architecturally significant library in his mix. what a moron to want to tear it down. looks better than any rendering of SOB

I like the library building and hope it is saved. However, it would be much improved if the parking could be put underneath or at least in a deck. It looks to me like about 60% of the lot is a surface parking lot.

L.ARCH
Feb 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
:previous: I agree it's a nice building... It would be even nicer if they would turn the parking into an urban plaza and continued the dense development on the other side. I think it would make an interesting space to read a book outside or something...