PDA

View Full Version : NANJING, CHINA | Jinling Fuguang | 1,411 FT / 430 M | 108 FLOORS

DUBAI2015
Mar 25, 2007, 8:27 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2114/1111wu5.jpg

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/7691/cimg3889klggcwtellaklo4.jpg

Chinese name: 金陵福光

Buy content through ScooptWords It's not often you see a unique skyscraper design these days, what with gherkins and turning torsos becoming ten-a-penny around the world but this design for the Chinese city of Nanjing might just pull it off.
Called Jinling Fuguang, or the "Hand of Peace", if you don't speak Chinese, this huge project will have 108 floors above ground and be 518 metres tall. Accommodating a mixture of hotel, office and residential, as indeed most super towers do, it has been designed by architect Yu Zhu Zongshi.
The scheme is effect a huge hand rising out of a slimmer wrist that will be clad in blue glass and tower above a large central podium. A shorter curving stepped building that shares this podium will be erected adjacent to it.
There are hints of Chinese feng shu in the design although these have been scotched by the architect more as coincidence. For example feng shu experts would say that "the Jinling luck light" has been employed to the office-space but the architect denies that Chinese folk beliefs are referenced so deeply in the design claiming these are more coincidence than deliberate - a classic case of the audience giving architecture their own meaning.
For Zhu, the scheme is more a case of a hand praying for an end to war saying that "the idea is to represent peace especially as Nanjing has suffered such injuries in war."

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=742

I know what you're thinking, "It's a huge, stretched-out, blue hand!"
If they do build this then what next for other Chinese cities? Perhaps Shanghai can do a giant leg! :haha:

M II A II R II K
Mar 26, 2007, 12:51 AM
Definitely a different design.

Rise To The Top
Mar 26, 2007, 12:53 AM
Me no like... which is odd, because I usually like modern Chinese buildings.

kalmia
Mar 26, 2007, 2:27 AM
Me no like... which is odd, because I usually like modern Chinese buildings.

Not enough detail is shown to make a definite opinion.

Goody
Mar 26, 2007, 4:19 AM
It looks like a hand.. and thats weird

Stephan23
Mar 26, 2007, 8:39 AM
:previous: Thought the same too!! Wonderful design!! :cool:

Fabb
Mar 26, 2007, 8:48 AM
It looks like a hand.. and thats weird

It's intentional. It's the "hand of peace".
It might even look like two hands in the position of prayer.

AZheat
Mar 26, 2007, 7:37 PM
Some of these new designs almost look like sculptures. They're definitely more interesting than the square box shape we're all familiar with. And of course the US isn't getting anything this unusual with the exception of The Chicago Spire (at least I hope we get it).

Nowhereman1280
Mar 26, 2007, 8:31 PM
I'm all for making buildings modeled after actual smaller objects, design following the creations of nature (including hands) is always better.

Fabb
Mar 26, 2007, 8:34 PM
But there is a risk. After a few years, we might be sick of them. In the end, abstraction is much less risky.

Aleks
Mar 26, 2007, 11:43 PM
It's intentional. It's the "hand of peace".
It might even look like two hands in the position of prayer.

it really does look like two hands in the psition of prayer?!?!

odd

idk if i really like it though, why not just make a giant building in the form of a religion leaders statue

Thskyscraper
Mar 27, 2007, 2:20 AM
Looks cool, very unique.

RLS_rls
Mar 29, 2007, 4:17 AM
This kind of makes me think of the Protoss city from Starcraft. I like the tower itself (the other structures aren't really necessary) but it could probably be better if it was a bit shorter or squater, and with a more...robotic look. If I kind of look at it in a different way (different as in...it no longer looks Starcraftian) it makes me think of the big walking Imperial robots from Return of the Jedi.

I dunno, I think it could work better too if the facade was more than just super sleek glass. That's far to average for something like this.

Oh wait, does anyone see a resemblance to the Mondosheewans from The Fifth Element? The huge sloped backs, small legs and feet, no neck, pointy face. I see a big similarity there.

superchan7
Mar 29, 2007, 4:28 AM
Ouch...this would be one monster of a building. Hope it gets built.

BTW, "Jinling" (gold pile) is a former name of Nanjing. Current name of Nanjing literally means Southern Capital, as it has served as the national capital several times in history.

MolsonExport
Mar 29, 2007, 4:16 PM
http://www.tribu-design.com/collections/photos/friedeberg1.jpg

oldpainless
Mar 29, 2007, 4:40 PM
Some of these new designs almost look like sculptures. They're definitely more interesting than the square box shape we're all familiar with. And of course the US isn't getting anything this unusual with the exception of The Chicago Spire (at least I hope we get it).
Well, that museum/skyscraper thing they are planning to build in Louisville is pretty unusual.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/mp1.jpg

Alliance
Mar 29, 2007, 5:23 PM
Well, that museum/skyscraper thing they are planning to build in Louisville is pretty unusual.

not at all like this one, the Chicago Spire, or the new Tower in Paris.

I like the concept of this tower a lot, but I think the deign could be utilized more effectively than what is shown. Points for originality though.