PDA

View Full Version : 1 Bloor East | 945 ft | 81 Floors | Proposed

Pages : [1] 2

shappy
Mar 23, 2007, 4:04 AM
holy shitballs!!

1 Bloor East is back. The proposal calls for an ~80 storey residential/commercial building.

Bazis International unveils plans for Canada's most celebrated corner

TORONTO, March 22 /CNW/ - Bazis International of Toronto, Ont., will
unveil its plans to redevelop Canada's most important corner at a news
conference Thursday, April 5, 2007.

Bazis International has acquired a one-acre property on the southeast
corner of Yonge and Bloor Streets in the heart of Toronto. It will create an
innovative mixed use development featuring a nearly 80 storey tower with a
four storey double-height podium at the base making it Toronto's tallest
residential/commercial building.

Michael Gold together with celebrated Toronto architect, Roy Varacalli,
both of Bazis, will offer details and be available for interviews as will City
Councillor Kyle Rae.

The news conference will be held in the Panorama Room on the top of the
nearby ManuLife Centre, a vantage point that offers a bird's eye view not only
of the 1 Bloor site but also of Bazis' first Toronto project, the Crystal Blu
condominium, soon to start construction on Balmuto Street just south of Bloor.

the tower:
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6396/1bloor1vd9.jpg

close-up of the base:
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1196/1bloor2fw3.jpg

WhipperSnapper
Mar 23, 2007, 4:31 AM
sorry...

CALLED IT

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125312

WhipperSnapper
Mar 23, 2007, 4:34 AM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/mark3333/nycc.jpg

another Toronto bound complex

Canuck
Mar 23, 2007, 4:34 AM
That you did, do you know anything about their other proposal - "Toronto Landmark"?

http://www.ghettoshots.net/david/Photos/107/WebFullSize/Toronto_Landmark.JPG

WhipperSnapper
Mar 23, 2007, 4:44 AM
the surrounding buildings make no sense

Canuck
Mar 23, 2007, 5:11 AM
As reported on SSC, these towers are under construction in Kazahkstan.
Maybe they're gunning to build Toronto's first Little-Kazahkstan district.

Taller Better
Mar 23, 2007, 5:38 AM
I think it was Valantino's little joke, but I am not sure!

icescraper
Mar 25, 2007, 12:25 AM
Sharp tower for 1BE, really cutting edge. Dare I suggest the two adjoining halves based on a futuristic rendition of city hall? Finally something large which is really first rate. -ice

mariokarter
Mar 25, 2007, 5:27 AM
i imagine that will really tower over manuallife and cibc and that other stuff just east of there.

jaymckay
Mar 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
Condo would be country's tallest TheStar.com - News - Condo would be country's tallest
Councillor lauds 80-storey proposal for Yonge, Bloor
March 28, 2007
Christian Cotroneo
staff reporter

If a proposed condo development at the corner of Yonge and Bloor becomes a reality, it would not only be the country's tallest residential tower but also a bold new symbol of urban living.

Stacked to the sky.

That's precisely why city Councillor Kyle Rae lauds the proposal from a Kazakhstan-based developer to build a tower nearly 80 storeys tall at 1 Bloor St. E. at the intersection's southeast corner.

"It's the intersection of two subway lines," he says. "It's where there's already intensification."

Having so many people living atop a bustling public transit junction speaks of civic efficiency, even if the Toronto Transit Commission has yet to deal with the massive swell of fresh commuters.

And Rae expects little political resistance.

The City of Toronto had already approved a 60-storey building at the site, to be built by Nastapoka Holdings, four years ago.

Earlier this year, the property was sold to Bazis International, which will hold a news conference at the Manulife Centre next Thursday to unveil its plans.

In the meantime, Rae doesn't expect the jump from 60 to 80 floors to be dramatic.

"The previous approval had a lot of retail and a movie theatre ... and they take up a lot of height," he says.

Leaving the theatre out of the plans buys the developer about four extra floors for residential and hotel use.

Rae claims the originally approved height of 205 metres will not change.

But he, like many, is awaiting further information.

"I don't have a lot of detail yet," says consultant Vickie Griffiths of Vicbar Marketing, which counts Bazis as a client but has been referring media to the company itself. "I'm still waiting to get info from them."

The developer has yet to release renderings of the proposed building, and did not return calls to its local office yesterday. The address is, however, listed on UrbanDB.com, a website that registers city developments. It lists Toronto's Roy Varacalli as the architect.

According to the website, 1 Bloor E. will comprise 79 floors, above and below ground.

The site is near a 34-storey condominium building Bazis is already developing at Balmuto St. If the tower does get built at Yonge and Bloor, the building may earn another distinction – by blotting out a few other towering eyesores, according to Rae.

"I sorely would like to hide the Royal Bank building on the northeast corner," he says. "It's brutal. Hiding that building at the northeast corner by this one on the southeast corner would, I think, be a gracious thing to do.

"I'm in favour of masking the unfortunate."

Mr Man
Mar 28, 2007, 10:58 PM
cool.

vegeta_skyline
Mar 29, 2007, 3:17 AM
Curious to see just how tall 1 Bloor East will be and whether or not it will be approved.

Looks like Trump just might have a new challenger for the city’s/country’s tallest.
Let the race begin. :skyscraper:

Taller Better
Mar 29, 2007, 5:54 AM
Councilor Kyle Rae indicated it will not be much above the 200+ height that
had already been approved for the last building.. not sure how they are going to swing 80 storeys if that is the case.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 29, 2007, 1:29 PM
Councilor Kyle Rae indicated it will not be much above the 200+ height that
had already been approved for the last building.. not sure how they are going to swing 80 storeys if that is the case.

I don't know how Rae can expect a building to be erected with 80 floors at only 205 meters. This would have 30 more floors and only be 10 metres taller then 4 Seasons? :shrug: Realistically I would expect this to be closer to the 240-250 metre range.

MonkeyRonin
Mar 29, 2007, 2:13 PM
Looking at other 80f towers, it could be anywhere from 250-350m.

Taller Better
Mar 29, 2007, 2:53 PM
I get the feeling that the 80 storey figure also includes below-grade floors.. which could be up to three if it is a shopping centre or parking. I guess we will find out this upcoming week!

canucklehead2
Mar 29, 2007, 4:31 PM
Could someone post the old 1 Bloor East design as well so we can have a side by side comparison. BTW, anyone know why the old design was never built?

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 29, 2007, 5:13 PM
http://www.urbandb.com/canada/ontario/toronto/28toronto-oneblooreast-old.jpg

caltrane74
Mar 29, 2007, 7:58 PM
Could someone post the old 1 Bloor East design as well so we can have a side by side comparison. BTW, anyone know why the old design was never built?

Kolter wanted to focus on its United States business. That put this project on the back burner for a while. And then finally Kolter sold the property to Bazis which has instantly decided to develop the property.

You may remember Kolter as the company that brought us "the Waterclub" condos by harbourfront.

Taller Better
Mar 30, 2007, 6:22 AM

The designers were arrested by the fashion police and thrown into prison in Siberia for making such a clunky, dated, ugly old proposal! Thank god that monster with the dunce cap was never built....

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 30, 2007, 1:19 PM
Here is a render done by Wyliepoon over on urbantoronto.ca.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/177/439699855_003b1e7601_o.jpg

shappy
Mar 30, 2007, 2:31 PM
^ wow!

psychosomatic
Mar 30, 2007, 9:53 PM
delectable! This view is frm the NW, no? (like my french ending lol)

psychosomatic
Mar 30, 2007, 10:11 PM
While i like the general shape and proportions of this tower, i think it is severly flawed in the details, and so looks cheap. What's with that steel girder top?

caltrane74
Mar 30, 2007, 10:13 PM
I like the steel thingy at the top. Very modern New York City style...

OrientExpress
Mar 30, 2007, 10:33 PM
The top thingy's gotta be fixed, hopefully.

401_King
Mar 30, 2007, 10:56 PM
whats the tall building in the right side of the render?

Jackhammer
Mar 31, 2007, 3:44 AM
whats the tall building in the right side of the render?

That would be the yet to be built Four Seasons Hotel and Residences.

Taller Better
Mar 31, 2007, 6:11 AM
The top thingy's gotta be fixed, hopefully.

Uhmm... this is not the design, guys. This is just an interpretation of some guy over at urbantoronto. We had better all just wait til Thursday to find out what they have in mind.

psychosomatic
Mar 31, 2007, 2:21 PM
:previous: good point. although there were aspects of the official render that i thought were flawed, particularly the reflective glass around the base.

OrientExpress
Apr 1, 2007, 7:02 AM
First picture looks real to me.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 2, 2007, 2:26 PM
Except for the design, I love the scale of this project. I really hope this Thursday we find out that we have another 1000 footer on the way.

Taller Better
Apr 2, 2007, 2:31 PM
^^ Unfortunately I doubt it.. Kyle Rae sounded quite definite that the height was not significantly different that what had previously been approved for that spot.

TOBoy
Apr 2, 2007, 4:21 PM
Keep in Mind that the original height of 205 metres did not include the mechanical. This project may be 205 metres to top floor, but also have quite a lot of height for the mechanical. The pre-release rendering shows a substantial roof.

vegeta_skyline
Apr 2, 2007, 5:10 PM
If its going to be 80 stories then 800ft/243m (roof height) is almost definitely assured. Since 10ft per floors is pretty much the norm in all new construction starts these days.

38m probably doesn't sound like a lot to Kyle Rae.
But we all know how much of a difference that can make.

shappy
Apr 2, 2007, 5:21 PM
apparently a number of those floors are under ground... lame, I know.

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 2, 2007, 8:19 PM
Whatever. We'll know soon enough.

SSLL
Apr 5, 2007, 1:29 AM
Hopefully this goes through. I like the design, and it's really good for the intersection. Hopefully something good will go in the retail portion.

Taller Better
Apr 5, 2007, 1:19 PM
Today is the announcement, I believe....

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 5, 2007, 3:20 PM
http://www.ccnmatthews.com/docs/bazi.jpg

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 5, 2007, 3:27 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/447274573_d78cffae4f_o.jpg

harls
Apr 5, 2007, 3:32 PM
Plans for 1 Bloor (shown in this artist's rendering by Aareas Interactive) were unveiled, Thursday, April 5, 2007, in Toronto, Canada, by Bazis International. The $450-million mixed-use project incorporates 100,000 square feet of high-end retail, a 120-room five-star boutique hotel and 500 ultra-luxury condominiums in an 80-storey tower, the tallest residential/commercial building in downtown Toronto.

http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/mmlib/img.jsp?action=showPhoto&login=true&photoId=2145

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 5, 2007, 3:39 PM
Bazis' New 1 Bloor Destined to Become International Signature for Toronto
TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (MARKET WIRE) -- April 05, 2007 -- Editors Note: A photo for this release will be available on the CP picture wire via CCNMatthews.

When Bazis International made the strategic decision to extend its reach from Central Europe into the North American real estate market, it quickly targeted Canada and especially Toronto for its first projects, says Michael Gold, Director of Acquisitions and Finance for Bazis International, the North American arm of the giant international company.

The city has become a truly international destination for entertainment, culture and business, he says.

"We also knew that what we wanted to do was to create a signature project," he adds. "Toronto is more than ready for something so bold, so striking that it would become an instant icon, an internationally recognizable symbol of this city, reflecting its vitality and its growing global importance."

The result of Bazis' intensive research, planning and design was unveiled today: 1 Bloor, a $450-million mixed use project that incorporates 100,000 square feet of high end retail, a 120-room five-star boutique hotel and 500 ultra luxury condominiums in a tower close to 80 stories, the tallest residential/commercial building ever conceived for the city's downtown core.

"Bazis has made a name for itself in Europe and Central Asia for its bold, expansive signature projects," he says. "We intend to do this in Toronto, this magnificent city."

He cites the example of its Circular Plaza project in the Kazakhstan capital of Astana. This sweeping project encompasses 760,000 square feet of commercial office and retail space and has become headquarters for the National Ministry of Transport and Kazmunaigas, which operates vast central European natural gas fields.

In old St. Petersburg on the eastern shores of the Baltic, Bazis is creating a development of 300,000 square feet of residential space plus 50,000 square feet of retail shops in six buildings in the heart of the city centre.

All told it currently has 35 different projects under development around the world.

"I admit we were eager to create something of similar sweep and ambition in Toronto," he adds. "To do that we needed the right site. The southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor Streets perfectly fits those requirements."

As Mr. Gold points out, 1 Bloor is Canada's most recognizable and indeed, most prestigious address, the very heart of the city that is the very heart of the country.

"It is a site, which has already attracted enormous international attention," he says. "Both from national, international and regional retailers and from individuals and corporations looking for a pied-a-terre or home at Toronto's most celebrated address."

The three levels of retail will be in a podium, which will occupy the entire site, from Bloor south to Hayden Street and running east to existing office buildings. Each floor will be 20 feet in height. Bazis expects 1 Bloor to be the same sort of catalyst as the rejuvenation of Times Square in New York, a showplace for top-brand retailers.

On the upper level of the podium will be a signature restaurant and lounge overlooking the Bloor and Yonge intersection. The rooftop will have a beautifully landscaped terrace, available to both hotel guests and condominium residents.

The spectacular tower will rise from the centre of the podium. It was designed by Bazis' celebrated architect Roy Varacalli. The first four floors will be dedicated to a luxury five-star hotel, which will offer 120 rooms plus all the services and amenities expected from a deluxe international chain.

The remainder of the tower will be home to about 500 luxury condominiums, which will range in size from 550-square feet, one-bedroom suites to expansive 10,000-square-foot penthouses.

"I am very pleased to see this project moving forward," said Kyle Rae, City Councillor for Toronto Centre at the unveiling. "The intersection of Yonge and Bloor is an important Canadian crossroads. This new development will give the area a much needed facelift and will add $ 2 million towards the Bloor Street transformation project - a benefit to both the local residential and business communities."

"What I can promise is that every aspect of 1 Bloor will live up to expectations," says Mr. Gold. "This is a project, which will instantly become a recognizable symbol of Toronto and firmly establish its presence on the international stage."

WhipperSnapper
Apr 5, 2007, 3:46 PM
not a fan of the podium on this tower

the tower has lost some appeal however how much of it will depend on the undulation on the finished product

WhipperSnapper
Apr 5, 2007, 3:48 PM
tell us the fuckin' height goddammit

Jaborandi
Apr 5, 2007, 4:25 PM
Bazis' New 1 Bloor Destined to Become International Signature for Toronto

On the upper level of the podium will be a signature restaurant and lounge overlooking the Bloor and Yonge intersection. The rooftop will have a beautifully landscaped terrace, available to both hotel guests and condominium residents."

Is that a drive-thru restaurant on the third floor?

harls
Apr 5, 2007, 4:33 PM
they say 20ft per floor..crazy..

caltrane74
Apr 5, 2007, 5:34 PM
they look like mega wraps cars on the third floor. - Must be the parking for the high end stores they are talking about.

CharlesMunroe
Apr 5, 2007, 6:21 PM
they say 20ft per floor..crazy..

I think they mean just the 3 retail levels will be 20 ft.

Cant wait to see this go up.

harls
Apr 5, 2007, 6:25 PM
^ my mistake, you are correct!

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 5, 2007, 6:42 PM
Cant wait to see this go up.

Can't wait to see it pass approval first.

caltrane74
Apr 5, 2007, 6:57 PM
I think this will get approval. What city in it's right mind, turns down 2 million in cash

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 5, 2007, 7:18 PM
Well it's in Kyle Rea's district so he'll back it. Not sure who the city councilor is for Yorkville. I'm sure the NIMBY's will come out of the woodwork for this one. The 4 Seasons had to give a daycare $1,000,000 because a shadow would have been cast over the little rich kids for a few hours a day. I wonder what the people in this area can milk from this development.

OrientExpress
Apr 6, 2007, 11:27 AM
What was wrong with the previous design.

jaymckay
Apr 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
223 m

http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/070406_condo_hotel.pdf

April 06, 2007
Christopher Hume
Urban Issues

It would be hard to imagine a more unlikely scenario: A developer from of all places, Kazakhstan, shows up in of all places, Toronto, and decides to build of all things, an 80-storey condo/hotel at, of all locations, the corner of Yonge and Bloor.

No, this is not a new Borat movie, it's just another day in the life of this city.

And before you start with the jokes, two things: The developer, Bazis International, already has permission to start work on the building, and second, it has committed $450 million to the project.

It will also contribute $2 million to rehabilitate Bloor St., straight from Kazakhstan to Toronto's most prestigious shopping district.

Some may be laughing, but Councillor Kyle Rae (Toronto-Centre-Rosedale) isn't one of them. He couldn't be more excited. Speaking at a press conference called yesterday by Bazis, Rae couldn't contain his enthusiasm.

"The southeast corner of Bloor and Yonge," he rightly noted, "is an eyesore and a failure."

But then, so are the other three corners. Given that this is one of the city's most important intersections, that's not good. In fact, one might wonder why it has taken so long for something to happen on the site. Situated at the crossroads of the two major subway lines, close to practically everything, Bloor and Yonge has been ripe for redevelopment for years. It's extraordinary that it has taken so long for something to happen.

And before the NIMBYites start screaming about the height, let's get one thing straight: there is no better location in all Toronto where an 80-storey residential tower makes more sense. Besides, city council approved the construction of an earlier tower, same height though fewer floors, four years ago.

And in case anyone has forgotten, the nearby ManuLife Centre comes in at 51 storeys.

Though Torontonians are loath to admit it, the small town they think they live in has become a big city. That means tall buildings and greater densities. Those ratty two- and three-storey boxes that line so many of our main streets will slowly but surely disappear – as they should.

"We're competing with other cities and countries for investment," Rae noted. "It's time now to start acting like a big city."

As Rae also made clear, "This is where the highest building in the neighbourhood belongs."

For Michael Gold, Bazis's director of acquisitions and finance, Toronto makes sense because property here is so cheap by international standards. The firm has built in the capital of Kazakhstan, Astana, as well as Moscow and St. Petersburg.

"Toronto is a most desired place to live," he declared yesterday. "Prices of real estate are still undervalued compared to the world cities. We believe real estate prices here have a long way to go."

It's an argument that's been heard before, but not so often by people actually willing to spend money. Donald Trump, for instance, said the same thing three or four years ago about Toronto, and his site at Bay and Adelaide sits empty.

The only problem with the Bazis scheme, which would include three double-height floors of retail at grade, a hotel on top and, above that, condos – is the design. Toronto architect Roy Varacalli has come up with a scheme that would look more at home in Dubai, Shanghai or some other instant-city than in Toronto. Let's be honest, glitz isn't us.

This multi-part tower consists of two "masses" – as Varacalli calls them – one, curved, faces west, the second, straight-edged and square, looks east. The idea is to reflect the differences in the two halves of the city. The west side, according to Varacalli, is playful and loose. The east is more staid.

For better or worse, the building will be an icon simply by virtue of its height and location. Indeed, it will change the neighbourhood dramatically. But this is a tower that speaks the language of empty slickness. It is more rhinestone than diamond.

But as Varacalli pointed out, the building remains a work in progress. Let's hope there's time for improvement. His design for Bazis's other Toronto project, Crystal Blue, is much more convincing.

But the pressure's on; demolition of the site will begin later this year and One Bloor East is scheduled to be completed by 2011.

OrientExpress
Apr 6, 2007, 12:23 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/447274573_d78cffae4f_o.jpg

Need another look at this one.

OrientExpress
Apr 6, 2007, 12:39 PM
Very Kazakhstanish. Like it. Knock off 8 floors, and it'll be approved.

jaymckay
Apr 6, 2007, 2:06 PM
Mega project will soar over Yonge-Bloor intersection
$500-million tower provides major boost for 'underachieving' southeast corner

DANNY GALLAGHER

Special to The Globe and Mail

It's about time. That seemed to be the prevailing sentiment yesterday with the official news that one of the city's paramount downtown addresses is getting a makeover that will include one of the country's tallest residential towers.

Bazis International, a little-known real-estate developer that has its origins in Kazakhstan, is undertaking a $500-million, 80-storey project at 1 Bloor St. E., the neglected southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor.

"People coming through that area on a Friday or Saturday night would call Toronto a hick town, but this project will transform that intersection," Councillor Kyle Rae said at a news conference yesterday.

"For years, there has always been something missing in that intersection and it was in the southeast corner," said Mr. Rae (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale). "It's been an underachieving, rundown retail development. It's a failed corner."
Print Edition - Section Front

Section A Front Enlarge Image
The Globe and Mail

Bazis purchased the land from Kolter Property a few months ago and plans to start demolishing the buildings on the half-hectare site by the end of this year. Completion is set for 2011. The plans include extensive retail space, a 120-room hotel and 500 condos, but not a movie theatre, which had been part of the original plan approved by city council four years ago. The development will run one full block south to Hayden Street and east along Bloor.

"As a kid born and raised in Toronto, I always thought that intersection was the crossroads of the city and the country," Roy Varacalli, Bazis director of design and construction, said. "Then when I went to school, I always dreamt about designing a project for that corner. Not only will I be the architect but I'm completing the loop by building it."

The retail podium will offer 9,290 square metres of shopping on three levels with six-metre ceilings on each retail floor. Retailers targeted for the leased space will include flagship stores for national, international and regional brands.

Mr. Varacalli would not reveal the purchase price, but did indicate that the assessed value of that property, $33.66-million for 2007, would probably at least double based on the sale price.

The price of condos in the complex won't be determined until later in the year, but the square footage will range from 550 to 1,800 for suites and up to 10,000 for a penthouse.

Mr. Varacalli said that in drawings for the building he wanted to create a dialogue between the different character of west and east Bloor Street.

"The west side is playful, polished and vibrant in retail," Mr. Varacalli said. "The east side is safe, secure but dormant."

Although downtown Toronto has seen a surge in high-end condo projects, Michael Gold, Bazis's director of acquisitions and finance, said, the market is neither oversaturated nor overpriced.

"If you look at other major cities like New York, Tokyo, Moscow and others, you can buy property here for one-third of the price," Mr. Gold said. "People from around the world and people living in Toronto will want to buy condos in this project. It's an icon tower. It will be the No. 1 address in Canada."

Bazis International is affiliated with the Bazis-A group of Kazakhstan, which has operations in development, construction and manufacturing of construction materials. Most of Bazis's projects are in Central Europe, but it entered the Canadian market several years ago as an equity investor and recently made a splash investment with its construction of Crystal Blu, a 35-storey condo tower just a few blocks west of its newest project.

401_King
Apr 6, 2007, 2:14 PM
"But the pressure's on; demolition of the site will begin later this year and One Bloor East is scheduled to be completed by 2011."

!

WhipperSnapper
Apr 6, 2007, 4:23 PM
Like it. Knock off 8 floors, and it'll be approved.

if its 223m, they don't need approval - just some tweaking to the zoning bylaw

caltrane74
Apr 6, 2007, 8:57 PM
So basically Bazis paid at least 66 Million for the property.

That is mind boggling. Wow..almost Hong Kong type prices for Toronto Real Estate. To give you an idea of how much that is worth..a property at Avenue Rd. and Cumberland recently sold for 80 Million dollars. (however this property had a Four Seasons Hotel..not a Harvey's joint)

softee
Apr 6, 2007, 9:23 PM
Though Torontonians are loath to admit it, the small town they think they live in has become a big city. That means tall buildings and greater densities.

Yeeeaaahhhhh, given that Toronto is second only to New York in the number of highrises among all of the cites in Canada and the US, I would think that Torontonians are a lot more accommodating to tall buildings than they're given credit for.

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 6, 2007, 9:54 PM
Yeeeaaahhhhh, given that Toronto is second only to New York in the number of highrises among all of the cites in Canada and the US, I would think that Torontonians are a lot more accommodating to tall buildings than they're given credit for.

Good point.

MonkeyRonin
Apr 6, 2007, 10:23 PM
meh, its Chris Hume, nothing we haven't seen before.

koops65
Apr 7, 2007, 1:27 AM
I still dont believe the height. Eighty floors squeezed into 223 metres? The first 3 floors take up 18 of those metres, the other 77 in 205 metres? Thats only 2.66 metres per floor, or 8 3/4 feet total from one floor to the next. Can they really sandwich them in that tightly? They better not be expecting anybody tall to live there... but it would make it easy to change a burned out light bulb!

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 7, 2007, 2:57 AM
And they say this design will still evolve some more, it keeps getting better and better IMO.

http://www.urbandb.com/canada/ontario/toronto/condo%20-%201%20bloor%20east%201.jpghttp://img400.imageshack.us/img400/5159/1blooreastnewmar07dn6.jpghttp://img267.imageshack.us/img267/390/newoneblooreastgh2.jpg

3madjack
Apr 7, 2007, 6:04 AM
Like it, like it, like it! Can't get much better than this 3rd rendering but if it does, oh God, I will wet myself.

WhipperSnapper
Apr 7, 2007, 3:29 PM
Thats only 2.66 metres per floor, or 8 3/4 feet total from one floor to the next. Can they really sandwich them in that tightly?

they do in lots of highrises. For 2007, it is on the low side

psychosomatic
Apr 7, 2007, 3:36 PM
I think this design is a major improvement. Good job Bazis. I'd like to see a more artful transition from podium to tower though.

jaymckay
Apr 7, 2007, 7:12 PM
[QUOTE=koops65;2748957]I still dont believe the height. Eighty floors squeezed into 223 metres? The first 3 floors take up 18 of those metres, the other 77 in 205 metres? Thats only 2.66 metres per floor, or 8 3/4 feet total from one floor to the next. QUOTE]

I read that they're including the underground parking when they say 80 floors. Not sure why they've done this--must be a marketing device. Does that make more sense concerning the floor height?

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 7, 2007, 8:34 PM
If they included the underground parking in the floor count, that just makes them liars. Nobody does that. The height on this one just doesn't make sense, but we wont have to wait very long for some answers.

icescraper
Apr 8, 2007, 12:15 AM
errrr... liked the two superinposed curves better .... Lastest rendition not quite so spectacular. - Ice

PS anything residential over 200m is damm tall....

SD
Apr 8, 2007, 6:38 AM
Well it's in Kyle Rea's district so he'll back it. Not sure who the city councilor is for Yorkville. I'm sure the NIMBY's will come out of the woodwork for this one. The 4 Seasons had to give a daycare $1,000,000 because a shadow would have been cast over the little rich kids for a few hours a day. I wonder what the people in this area can milk from this development.

I don't think it was to a daycare, it was to Jesse Ketchum (I'm pretty sure), which is a public school. I really can't complain about a developer handing over $1 million to a public school...this is a very good thing.

Taller Better
Apr 9, 2007, 4:04 AM
I don't think it was to a daycare, it was to Jesse Ketchum (I'm pretty sure), which is a public school. I really can't complain about a developer handing over $1 million to a public school...this is a very good thing.

I think the "harm" of an hour or two of having a shadow on the playground was
a tad exaggerated, and I think Jesse Ketchum was VERY well compensated for it. However, this creates a huge precedent, I'm hoping that a highrise is planned next door to where I live, for I think a shadow would cause me irreparable damage and I would need to be compensated rather heavily.

icescraper
Apr 12, 2007, 10:14 PM
Scoatia Bank had to fork over 6.5 million in the early 80s for social housing for their tower yet the tower did not affect housing in any way. Cost of doing business in this city ......

P.S. If you look at Scoatia's quarterly statements they can afford supporting social housing more than I... - Ice

archylia
Apr 14, 2007, 3:05 AM
i personally think that this building has no design concept to back it up. it is hardly a landmark building of the city other than the showing off of this crazy height. if architecture is about height, then the current design does itself a good job.

however, i can't imagine why people want to live at the height of 200m. your ears will be plugged every second starting from the rising of the elevator. and you will be stuck in an elevator (plus waiting for one) for over half an hour everyday.

to answer kopps65's question. 2.65m is your standard 8 ft floor-to-ceiling finish which can be found in condos in scarborough, north york or markham. building of this significant should have at least 9 ft of not 10ft. but by increasing the finish ceiling height, the builder is not going to get enough $$$ returns. so go figure....

and with so many suites plus retails in the building, i don't know how many levels of underground parking they are going to building. maybe above grade parking garage is a possibility, but then it will trade off some of those retail spaces.

well, i agree with mr chris hume this time, this building needs more than height to convince me.

Taller Better
Apr 14, 2007, 4:04 AM
^^ Hume says "lets face it, glitz isn't us".
Toronto is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. If it builds conservative buildings it is criticized for being staid and
conservative.. "Toronto the Good". If it builds something too "glitzy", it gets criticized for that. What would please both yourself, and Mr. Hume?

archylia
Apr 14, 2007, 2:11 PM
I don't know how to categorize this current design, it's neither glitzy nor staid to me. by the way, I would like to see the other 2 elevations of the building. i wonder how the north-east corner looks.

koops65
Apr 14, 2007, 4:57 PM
Thanks to all for answering my question about floor to floor heights. So even if its possible, why would they go for such low ceiling heights on such a "premiere" building? I think they'll be lobbying hard to get approval for a height increase. Just so they dont have to make the ceilings so low...

jaymckay
Apr 14, 2007, 5:29 PM
The more opinions I read of Humes', the less respect I have for him. Unfortunately, for the most part, Canadian periodicals are unsophisticated and will hold back widespread appreciation for any of the arts. Toronto need a newspaper like The Guardian.
As for 1 Bloor: I see the design progressing and the architect and developer seem to be bent on making a landmark. So far I like this building, especially considering it didn't go through a design competition (which is should have).

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 14, 2007, 8:47 PM
why would they go for such low ceiling heights on such a "premiere" building?

Exactly. A tower like this will have very expensive units, especially with a projected cost close to the half billion mark. The ceilings will not be short, I can promise that.

archylia
Apr 14, 2007, 11:58 PM
waterloo guy, for sure, the ceilings will have to be higher that 8ft. at the end of the day, it all depends on how the final zoning by law is being written. Is the building being calculated by height in meters or height in storeys. and most likely it will be done in meters, which the developer may have to knock down some storeys to make some of the suites high-end.

jaymckay, yes, such a project should go through a competition. but the architect here is the developer himself. a competition is not a possibility.

i also wonder if you guys have gone to bazis internationals website. i didn't like some of their past projects. http://www.bazisinternational.com

WhipperSnapper
Apr 15, 2007, 12:27 AM
-the zoning bylaw includes a maximum for height and storeys

-8ft does exist in higher end condo tower in Toronto (I don't see this one being as 'high end' as a four seasons, ritz, etc. , BTW) However, Ceiling heights have being steadily increasing but so too are applications to the Comittee of Adjustment for minor variances to allow addtional floors within the approved building envelope

-the architect - a partner in one of the city's busiest firms - is not the developer

archylia
Apr 15, 2007, 1:19 AM
responding to goodlookin.... "-the architect - a partner in one of the city's busiest firms - is not the developer"

according to an article on the globe and mail, the architect varacalli is the Bazis director of design and construction, while gold is the director of acquisitions and finance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070406.TOWER06/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/

WhipperSnapper
Apr 15, 2007, 2:18 AM
^I'm going to assume it is merely a title given to the lead architect

jaymckay
Apr 15, 2007, 8:06 AM
http://www.burka.net/

archylia
Apr 15, 2007, 1:42 PM
another article also confirms this.

"Michael Gold and Toronto architect Roy Varacalli, both of Bazis, will offer details at the conference, as will Councillor Kyle Rae." from the stars

http://www.thestar.com/Athome/article/196679

WhipperSnapper
Apr 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
newspaper articles aren't exactly reliable sources of information. Itdoesn't make much sense for Pemberton, builders of Uptown, to hire an architectural firm where one of the partners is himself building a competing development

archylia
Apr 16, 2007, 3:50 PM
okay.
btw, is there a post on the Uptown? what do people think about the building?

Taller Better
Apr 16, 2007, 4:55 PM
I like the Uptown concept, but hope they don't cheap out on the finishes. If it is completed as the rendering indicates, I think it will be a welcome addition to the neighbourhood. I am hoping it does not become cheezy faux-Deco.

psychosomatic
Apr 17, 2007, 2:07 PM
:previous: agreed. The design has the potential for greatness....but they must carry it out carefully.

archylia
Apr 21, 2007, 2:44 PM
Anyone knows if the Bazis tower is going to be a Leed Building or not? If so, what level of Leed certification is it going to have? Personally I think the developer and the architect should consider it.

homo sapien
Apr 22, 2007, 11:28 PM

WhipperSnapper
Apr 22, 2007, 11:33 PM
^sorry ... but I'm happy all I see is red X's reading that description

homo sapien
Apr 23, 2007, 3:34 PM
^sorry ... but I'm happy all I see is red X's reading that description

Then you are not actually sorry. Nor am I sorry that the pics didn't upload since you are so eager to slam.

caltrane74
Aug 8, 2007, 8:21 PM
rumours are swirlin'....

....this one could be 300 Meters!!!!

Demolition on the site begins this fall!!!

lawsond
Aug 31, 2007, 8:18 PM
The more opinions I read of Humes', the less respect I have for him.

i like hume on some issues.
he does support innovative design.
but he doesn's seem to have a clear consistant opinion on high rises.
the new glass blocks he doesn't like cuz they're boring.
but bazis is too glitzy??
i think what he may mean is that it "stands out".
and standing out is verboten in toronto.
just what would please him?
i say -- bring on the thousand footer and make it STAND OUT!

Maldive
Oct 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
According to Chris Hume in The Star, the building will be 275 metres tall. I'd bet that is roof height, not to the top of the huge crown.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Oct 31, 2007, 4:08 PM
Is it possible that since the developer has already committed $450 million to this project that they will start construction fast on this one? It would be a bit of a risk but they could stand to make the most proffits this way. U/C condos generally fetch 20% or more then those in the pre-construction phase.

caltrane74
Oct 31, 2007, 5:13 PM
Well they can't do anything as far as construction is concerned until at least spring.

I wouldn't bet on construction personally until fall 08'