East Van
Mar 22, 2007, 5:49 AM
whats the street with the big houses ?

SpongeG
Mar 22, 2007, 6:02 AM
i think it might be hastings?

androo3
Mar 22, 2007, 6:02 AM
LOL...If any one of those streets is East Hastings I see nothing has changed regarding Jaywalking....Ha Ha

SpongeG
Mar 22, 2007, 6:10 AM
i know and those woman doing it in those huge outfits - haha

i know the street cars ran along granville and up east along hastings

not sure what the other routes were...

that one building near the beginning - is where the waterfront station is now at the foot of granville so it seems to turn east along hastings

and back than outer (eastern) hastings would have been all houses mainly

raggedy13
Mar 22, 2007, 6:15 AM
What's the deal with the music? Cool video though. The only obvious street is that first one shown - Granville - with the old CPR station at the end of it. It's interesting to see those houses along that one street... they're the only buildings that don't look "old-timey" or outdated (to me), I guess because houses like that are still such a common sight around Vancouver. The footage of those houses could just about pass for today (aside from it being black and white etc). I feel I can relate to them much more than I can to the rest of the city in that footage anyways.

I love how people just wander around the street and how there are plenty of bicyclists around. It's amazing how busy the streets are for what would've been such a small city by today's standards.

MistyMountainHop
Mar 22, 2007, 6:55 AM
What's the deal with the music? Cool video though.

What do you mean, "What's the deal"? The music perfectly reflects the era of the video. ;)

David
Mar 22, 2007, 7:05 AM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing

mattropolis
Mar 22, 2007, 7:17 AM
That's neat. Lose the music though... lol

I think the last street is probably Davie or Robson. Those were the fashionable residential streets in the early 20th century.

Good find.

SpongeG
Mar 22, 2007, 8:18 AM
i just found it - no input on the music choice

The_Henry_Man
Mar 22, 2007, 3:52 PM
And if you notice, it appears that the traffic is on the left side of the road, and the drivers of coaches drive on the left side of the road. Actually, according to Wikipedia, drivers in BC drive on the left side (so steering wheel on the right) until the 1920s, like the UK (different provinces have different regulations regarding the left/right handed drive).

osirisboy
Mar 22, 2007, 4:25 PM
i remember hearing last year about the vancouver historical society or some group, im not really sure that retraced the route in this film this past summer and was going to put the old and new one on dvd. does anyone know anything about this?

David
Mar 22, 2007, 5:19 PM
I vaguely remember that. It's probably still in the works.

The first thing that came to my head for that part was also Davie. It was probably one of the only residential streets with a streetcar on it. Unless it was something south of False Creek.

Holden West
Mar 22, 2007, 5:32 PM
Very cool video. What a rare treasure. It's weird to see the streets empty of cars (but full of horse crap).

Because of the music, I can only award it three Fred Herzogs!!!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/Theoldvictorian/FredHerzog.gif http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/Theoldvictorian/FredHerzog.gif http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j142/Theoldvictorian/FredHerzog.gif

murman
Mar 22, 2007, 5:44 PM
Holy unorganized chaos! I'll never b!tch about @ss-dragging pedestrians again...

Nutterbug
Mar 22, 2007, 5:53 PM
What's the deal with the music?

I would have prefered it went something like:

Trans...Vancouver...Express...
Trans...Vancouver...Express...

excel
Mar 22, 2007, 7:42 PM
cool video

Lyle
Mar 22, 2007, 8:13 PM
très cool. almost everyone used mass transit back then!

smasher000
Mar 22, 2007, 11:27 PM
"mass" transit :notacrook: i think its part of the CPR (Canadian pacific railway)

SFUVancouver
Mar 22, 2007, 11:35 PM
It's hard to believe that basically everything we saw in the movie was built or rebuilt in twenty years. In 1886 a huge fire gutted everything from Gastown west to around Burrard, which was almost the end of Vancouver (still the township of Granville at the time). The fire was started by brush clearing fires that were set in the what is now the West End to clear the debris left over from logging it to make room for housing.

I also think it is neat to see traffic on the left. BC didn't switch over to the right side of the road until well into the 20th century (maybe after WWI? It's in a book at home)

Lastly, I like how the new trees in the suburban area at the end use the exact same technique for holding up the saplings as we do now. No point changing a good idea it seems.

fever
Mar 23, 2007, 2:18 AM
The first part has a landmark. I'm not sure about the second part. It might be Carrall turning onto Cordova turning onto Cambie. That part of Cordova is two blocks long like it shows. Of course most of the buildings are different so it's hard to say.

I'm not sure which parts of the system had been built by 1907, though...

fever
Mar 23, 2007, 3:54 AM
I looked again. It is Carrall, Cordova, Cambie. In the first clip while it's travelling east on Hastings the building on the south side of Hastings across Cambie from Victory Square has an oval-ish logo on it. That same building appears at the end of the second part.

I'm still not sure about the suburban one..

renthefinn
Mar 23, 2007, 6:38 AM
Wow I have to disagree with murman on this one, it is more organized chaos than what we see nowadays. It's awe enspiring to see the streets free of personal vehicles (cars), they seem so much more efficient with trolleys, carriages (nowadays buses), pedestrians and cyclists. I'm kinda sad I missed that period in this lifetime.

mackeast
Mar 23, 2007, 3:38 PM
Wow! Look at how many trolleys pass by as it goes along its route! And a trolley going past those suburban homes? Could you imagine seeing that today?? Its pretty sad that public transit was better 100 years ago than it is today.

jpick
Mar 24, 2007, 6:51 PM
I heard about this film before. It's good to finally be able to see it.

Here's some more information on the film, and some people who
are working on retracing the route. It also shows where some of
the locations are:

http://www.johnatkin.com/harbeck/images.htm

SpongeG
Mar 24, 2007, 9:16 PM
its amazing how big and how much advertising there was back than

people freak out about such things now

SpongeG
Mar 24, 2007, 9:18 PM
I heard about this film before. It's good to finally be able to see it.

Here's some more information on the film, and some people who
are working on retracing the route. It also shows where some of
the locations are:

http://www.johnatkin.com/harbeck/images.htm

ah cool

it appears the street with the trees and houses is Robson Street

smasher000
Mar 25, 2007, 1:21 AM
Whoa! People jaywalked with horses.. what if the horse screwed up. They'd be flattened..

officedweller
Mar 25, 2007, 6:10 AM
Thanks! Only just had a look since I can't view YouTube at the office (can't download software).

zilfondel
Apr 4, 2007, 10:20 PM
Watched the video, pretty cool! However, a couple of responses...

1st response:

worst. music. ever. Is that what goes for Canadian techno or pop these days?

2nd response:

no wonder people got killed by streetcars! At least they went pretty slow.

3rd response:

just noticed that they used to drive on the left. kinda funny...

agrant
Apr 4, 2007, 11:34 PM
"worst. music. ever. Is that what goes for Canadian techno or pop these days?"
<<< We had techno way back then actually. Just like that. Tee hee.

"just noticed that they used to drive on the left. kinda funny..."
<<< It was a Commonwealth thing I guess - keeping close with Britain basically. The switch happened (around 1920?) as roads and cars expanded. The US sure as hell weren't going to switch, so... Can you imagine if we were still driving on the left today? That would be interesting.

Distill3d
Apr 5, 2007, 12:58 AM
3rd response:

just noticed that they used to drive on the left. kinda funny...

what do you mean used to? :haha: