PDA

View Full Version : Trump construction?

Pages : [1] 2

JBinCalgary
Mar 19, 2007, 9:10 PM
i have heard financing is all finalized, and construction is to begin soon.
is this the case?

Taller Better
Mar 19, 2007, 9:42 PM
Yes, that is the case. Apparently an important announcement is going to be made this week, likely to coincide with The Donald being in town. It is definitely a *go*!

401_King
Mar 19, 2007, 9:52 PM
he's in town this week?

JBinCalgary
Mar 19, 2007, 10:38 PM
great news

Taller Better
Mar 19, 2007, 10:53 PM
he's in town this week?

I think he is doing those "Make Big Money" seminars.

401_King
Mar 19, 2007, 11:15 PM
i think i saw billboards for that!

i am very very new when it comes to how things work with buildings. From this point today, what is next to 100% guarantee a ground breaking? Just a conformation from trump? thanks

WhipperSnapper
Mar 19, 2007, 11:33 PM
firstly, there never is a 100% guarrantee
secondly, Trump is only a tenant

I'm optimistic this will break ground by July but, if it hasn't by then, it never will.

Taller Better
Mar 19, 2007, 11:45 PM
Well, if they have sold $350,000,000 worth of units as they say they have, it would be highly unusual for the project not to go ahead. I imagine this week will have a firm start time.

JBinCalgary
Mar 20, 2007, 2:03 AM
they also said that about 7 south dearborn i recall.

Taller Better
Mar 20, 2007, 2:36 AM
stay tuned this week! "The Donald" will reveal all..........
but, this project is going ahead, despite all odds (and opposition!).

WhipperSnapper
Mar 20, 2007, 2:51 AM
We've seen projects cancelled in the 80 - 90% range and Trump is about 65% after two years on the market while construction costs continue to rise. By July, we should know if there is any truthiness to the recent articles

I'm hopeful we'll see the old 'application for a staging area' in this month's agenda which most likely will be posted tomorrow

WhipperSnapper
Mar 20, 2007, 1:51 PM
Maybe never. Doesn't sound very upbeat for a guy that's always upbeat when it comes to his projects.

www.theglobeandmail.com/s...uery=trump

Trump touts soft markets in cities like Toronto
GORDON PITTS
TORONTO -- Donald Trump almost lost his shirt 15 years ago when the North American real estate bubble burst. The 2007 version of that disaster will be much more benign, the real estate magnate predicts, although there is softness in some urban markets, such as Toronto and San Francisco.

"We're talking very minor [problems] compared with the depression of the early 1990s," Mr. Trump said yesterday in a phone interview from Los Angeles.

Mr. Trump said he is poised to invest in depressed property as the downturn moves through individual cities. "People have been talking about the end of the cycle for 12 years, and I'm excited if it is," he said. "I've always made more money in bad markets than in good markets."

One of those soft-market cities could be Toronto, where Mr. Trump acknowledges sales of a projected Trump luxury condo and hotel complex on Bay Street are not doing as well as first anticipated.

"It's a different market than it was -- it is going more slowly," he said, adding that his sales people are being extremely cautious. "I would rather have them be cautious than rush into anything," he said.

He predicted the Toronto project would go ahead, but then added "if it doesn't, I'm going to be in Toronto anyway."

He said Toronto is one of the great cities where he intends to have a real estate presence.

The New York developer's rebound from near bankruptcy in the early 1990s helped buff his reputation as a deal maker, contributing to his current media celebrity. He will be in Toronto this weekend for one of the roaming "real estate wealth expos" put on by the Learning Annex, a private educational outfit. His $1.5-million (U.S.) fee for the event will go to charity.

Mr. Trump shrugged off concerns that a crisis in U.S. subprime mortgage lending, which caters to poor credit risks, would spread to the wider property market, including Mr. Trump's luxury buildings.

"I don't see the subprime problems affecting the higher-end stuff," he said. In fact, he is advising investors that there are now great deals in buying subprime mortgages at a discount and repossessed houses at low prices.

Mr. Trump, 60, said that as he got older, he became more conservative in his borrowing. "I'm the most underleveraged now than I've ever been in my life. I almost feel uncomfortable."

While he would not disclose his debt load, he said it was far below proportional levels of 1992, when his much smaller holdings were carrying $9-billion (U.S.) in debt, including $900-million personally guaranteed by him.

As values plummeted, he became dramatically overleveraged. He denied reports that he was bailed out by his wealthy family, insisting that, while his family provided verbal support, he escaped ruin through the patience of his banks.

Mr. Trump said that his current low-debt portfolio represents a bet that the market will remain somewhat soft for some time. If he is wrong, and the market is about to roll higher, it would be better to have more leverage on his books.

"I think I'm in great shape because I think the market is a little unsettling, I think the war in Iraq is a total catastrophe, I think it's been handled horribly by the President and lot of crazy things can happen."

For the moment, he said, conditions vary widely from city to city. New York and Los Angeles are very strong, he said, while Chicago is "okay," and San Francisco joins Toronto in the weaker category.

He said that two years ago, when the market was at an all-time high, he was telling people not to buy real estate. "Now I'm telling them to do it."

Nothing is 100%

Taller Better
Mar 20, 2007, 2:14 PM
Well, people have been saying it was dead for a full year so we will just have to see if it goes up or not!

JBinCalgary
Mar 20, 2007, 2:16 PM
that doesnt sound to good

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 20, 2007, 2:28 PM
that doesnt sound to good

What are you talking about?

He said Toronto is one of the great cities where he intends to have a real estate presence.

Sounds good to me.

caltrane74
Mar 20, 2007, 2:30 PM
Mark this post in your records:

I believe this project will be digging earth before September. - I will bring this post/thread from the dead when the action starts..

And then goforth inturning this into the official trump construction thread.

thank you.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 20, 2007, 2:33 PM
Not to mention an inside source over on urbantoronto.ca has said the news this week will be good. The inside source has been correct so far with all his info so I have high hopes. It's funny how many people in this city an other cities are determined to see this fail.

WhipperSnapper
Mar 20, 2007, 4:19 PM
Well ... The scale and scope of the project brings out alot of emotion for us skyscraper enthusiaist and many of those with a more realistic attitude tend to be lumped together with the few that actually want it to fail. No matter how positively 'trumptoronto' spins the project on the forums, this project has obviously been met with below expectations (2 years). A pompous asshole such as Trump will blame it on a softening market (instead of an inferior brand/product/location) but that is hardly the case with other high end developments selling out faster than the countless more mid-range ones

caltrane74
Mar 20, 2007, 4:35 PM
Yes I agree, goodlookin, they have a disadvantaged location. But That hasn't stopped them from selling 300 mill of real estate.

Taller Better
Mar 20, 2007, 7:04 PM
I don't get it, why would anyone want this project to fail? I have been shocked at the opposition to this project over the past couple of years... (not from you, Goodlookin'). Seems a lot of people have been down on it. I can
understand out of towners being down on it, but the number of Torontonians against it is surprising. I just hope it goes ahead this summer. :)

WhipperSnapper
Mar 20, 2007, 7:54 PM
I have been shocked at the opposition to this project over the past couple of years

It's usually from those expecting the world in design for the city's tallest. This one isn't exactly extraordinary but (IMO) it's well proportioned to its surroundings, adds a much needed spire, and the materials should set it far apart from other residential glassy towers going up in the city. Sssh ... but I find Western Canada's new tallest more of an engineering marvel than inspirational architecture at least from the public's viewpoint (the exterior)

also, it will be one of the thinnest towers from both directions of it heights making it soar

OrientExpress
Mar 20, 2007, 8:36 PM
I wouldn't be to optimistic. Let's see what happen's over the weekend.

OrientExpress
Mar 20, 2007, 8:40 PM
I don't get it, why would anyone want this project to fail? I have been shocked at the opposition to this project over the past couple of years... (not from you, Goodlookin'). Seems a lot of people have been down on it. I can
understand out of towners being down on it, but the number of Torontonians against it is surprising. I just hope it goes ahead this summer. :)

This project will end the construction boom, and simbolize and American take over if you ask me.

caltrane74
Mar 20, 2007, 9:50 PM
This project will end the construction boom, and simbolize and American take over if you ask me.

wtf?

This project is being backed by a Canadian Billionaire - with an American Billionaire frontin' the project.

How can a construction boom end in this city when we have 150,000 people a year settling in the GTA region??? When the boom dies, are they all gonna live at your house OX?

oops sorry OX, I didn't realize you were joking. (or at the least being sarcastic..I do it myself from time to time :D)

JBinCalgary
Mar 20, 2007, 11:30 PM
oh.. i read it wrong

WhipperSnapper
Mar 21, 2007, 3:55 AM
This project will end the construction boom, and simbolize and American take over if you ask me

WAR!

3madjack
Mar 21, 2007, 4:33 AM
I so want this thing built. We need that big one right smack in the middle of it all.

Trump's here on the 24th and 25th for the Toronto Real Estate & Wealth Expo, (with, God help us, Tony Robbins), I think at the Convention Centre (size of the egos alone made them choose a large venue), so if he doesn't shit and get off the pot and say something about this project going forward or at least an update later this week, I would be very surprised. Hell, the guy drives me nuts, (okay, his show does) but I WANT THIS BUILT SO BADLY!

PS - In Calgary today and am totally amazed at the amount of construction; nothing compared to Toronto albeit, but VERY impressive. Finally building downtown south of the tracks and putting up some nice towers there.

401_King
Mar 21, 2007, 12:16 PM
^ interesting!

Taller Better
Mar 23, 2007, 2:04 PM
Not good news this morning for those who are hoping for the death of the Trump project, I'm afraid. They have secured funding and the project is a GO. This is the new press release:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../23/c5881.html

Attention Business Editors:
Trump Toronto set to soar with $310-million construction financing

TORONTO, March 23 /CNW/ - Toronto's Talon International Development Inc.
announced today that an agreement has been reached with international bank
Raiffeisen Zentralbank Vsterreich AG (RZB) to arrange $310-million in
construction financing for the developer's five-star Trump International Hotel
& Tower, Toronto.
Construction of Canada's first Trump Tower is scheduled to begin later
this year.
"This is a very exciting time for the entire Trump Toronto team," said
Talon Chairman Alex Shnaider. "Today's announcement represents the fulfillment
of our vision to build the finest hotel and residential condominiums in the
marketplace."
"My partners and I are very pleased to have our financing arrangements
completed and we look forward to developing one of the most luxurious Trump
buildings we have ever built," stated Donald J. Trump. "I look forward to
starting construction on this great project very soon."
Mr. Shnaider believes the universal appeal of the Trump brand and the
Trump Toronto team's global business experience has contributed greatly to the
success of the project - including the ability to attract a leading
multi-national commercial financing partner.
"With over $250-million in pre-construction sales from buyers world-wide,
Trump Toronto is truly an international success story," said Mr. Shnaider. "I
am very pleased that we were able to leverage our international business
interests to secure construction financing with an exceptional European
financial institution like RZB."
Raiffeisen Zentralbank Vsterreich AG (RZB) is the third largest bank in
Austria and one of the country's leading commercial and investment banks.
RZB's strong involvement in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), its exceptional
growth and outstanding appeal to customers have made it one of the top players
in the region.
"We are delighted to be involved in the financing of this historic and
dynamic project and are extremely pleased to continue our long-standing
relationship with both Mr. Shnaider and Midland Group," said Karl Sevelda,
Member of the RZB board.
Located in the heart of Toronto's financial and entertainment districts,
the $500-million Trump International Hotel & Tower, Toronto will be one of the
tallest and most luxurious buildings in Canada when completed.
Remaining hotel condominium suites are currently priced from CAD $800,000
and residential suites start at CAD $1.8 million.

About the Development

Trump International Hotel & Tower, Toronto, is a joint venture between
Donald J. Trump and Talon International Development Inc. Located at the
southeast corner of Bay and Adelaide, the Tower represents the epitome of
high-end luxury living and features the only five-star hotel condominiums
available for purchase in Toronto. The building was designed by the
Toronto-based firm Zeidler Partnership Architects.
Talon International Development Inc. is comprised of Canadian and
international partners who possess an enviable track record of achievement in
creating, developing and building businesses throughout the world. Talon's
majority shareholder is Midland Resources Holding Limited. Founded in 1994,
Midland is a privately owned trading and investment-holding organization. The
Group has interests in a broad range of industries, including real estate,
steel production and trading and shipping. Midland's operations are global
with offices and agents in 35 countries worldwide.
The Trump Organization specializes in five-star real estate development
and will operate and manage the hotel. The project will be the Trump
Organization's fourth Trump International Hotel & Tower and the first outside
the United States.
Raiffeisen Zentralbank Vsterreich AG (RZB) is the central institution of
the Austrian Raiffeisen Banking Group, the country's largest banking group. It
is a leading corporate and investment bank in Austria and also considers
Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) as its home market. Via listed subsidiary
Raiffeisen International Bank-Holding AG, it operates one of the leading
banking networks in CEE with subsidiary banks and finance leasing companies in
16 markets. More than 12 million customers are attended to through more than
2,800 business outlets. Representative offices in Lithuania and Moldova
complement the group's presence in the region.
RZB is the only Austrian bank with a global network of business units
reaching all important finance centres around the globe. It is also present in
Asia via its branches and representative offices.

Detailed fact sheets and electronic images are available at
www.trumptoronto.ca

For further information: Barry Landsberg, Trump International Hotel &
Tower, Toronto, (905) 417-3507, barrylandsberg@trumptoronto.ca; Andreas
Ecker-Nakamura, Raiffeisen Zentralbank Vsterreich AG (RZB), +43-1-71 707-1753,
andreas.ecker@rzb.at; or Gregor Bitschnau, +43-1-71 707-1955,
gregor.bitschnau@rzb.at., http://www.rzb.at, http://www.ri.co.at"

caltrane74
Mar 23, 2007, 2:27 PM
awesome...this is the last stage, before the offical ground breaking in April. And real construction in late summer.

Can we say..." official trump construction thread"???

Tor2Ott
Mar 23, 2007, 2:29 PM
^ Bring out the champagnes and glasses! Congrats big bad TO!!

What's the estimated completion date again?

caltrane74
Mar 23, 2007, 2:32 PM
2010-2011??

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 23, 2007, 3:10 PM
Today has been a good day for us, Trump financing news, and 1 Bloor East at 80 floors.

I'm glad it's not April 1st today.

Taller Better
Mar 23, 2007, 3:37 PM
Today has been a good day for us, Trump financing news, and 1 Bloor East at 80 floors.

LOL! That was the first thing I thought of last night when I saw the 1 Bloor East proposal.. is this April Fools Day? :haha:

caltrane74
Mar 23, 2007, 3:55 PM
No. We knew that Kolter sold the property last month to developers who wanted to go ahead with the original concept of the project.

This should not have been a surprise.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 23, 2007, 4:11 PM
Well if it is a joke they've done a really good job with it. As soon as I saw that proposal I looked into it myself. It's no joke, even with the mediochre rendering.

icescraper
Mar 24, 2007, 11:27 PM

Man, I should leave town for a while more often! Any idea what 1BE at 80 will look like?! - ice

LordMandeep
Mar 24, 2007, 11:31 PM
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=127942

here is a render...

icescraper
Mar 25, 2007, 12:28 AM
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=127942

here is a render...

I'm floored ..... really first rate! - ice

queetz@home
Mar 25, 2007, 12:35 AM

Even though I'm an "out of towner", I do love Toronto (and you can verify this with the TO forumers I've met). But I wouldn't mind this particular project to fail simply because of its location. I honestly find it disturbing that someone would want to build a tall condo-hotel project side by side with that beautiful Scotia Plaza. The way it is located is going to ruin the presence of that great building and frankly, its just gonna make the skyline ugly. Now I am deeply sadden that it looks like its going to push through since I love the TO CBD skyline the way it is (plus with the addition of a few nice buildings in good locations)... :(

icescraper
Mar 25, 2007, 12:45 AM
Even though I'm an "out of towner", I do love Toronto (and you can verify this with the TO forumers I've met). But I wouldn't mind this particular project to fail simply because of its location. I honestly find it disturbing that someone would want to build a tall condo-hotel project side by side with that beautiful Scotia Plaza. The way it is located is going to ruin the presence of that great building and frankly, its just gonna make the skyline ugly. Now I am deeply sadden that it looks like its going to push through since I love the TO CBD skyline the way it is (plus with the addition of a few nice buildings in good locations)... :(

Personally I think this latest rendition (not so late) pays some homage to the Scotia Plaza and the banking core with its blockly squareness while addressing modestly post-modern tastes. True there are possibly many postenially better locations for Trump and for that matter its future residents. The best view for Scotia Plaza is from the east looking west which for now remains mainly unobstructed... ice

401_King
Mar 25, 2007, 1:01 AM
:cheers: :tup:

Taller Better
Mar 25, 2007, 5:08 AM
Personally I think this latest rendition (not so late) pays some homage to the Scotia Plaza and the banking core with its blockly squareness while addressing modestly post-modern tastes. True there are possibly many postenially better locations for Trump and for that matter its future residents. The best view for Scotia Plaza is from the east looking west which for now remains mainly unobstructed... ice

What latest rendition? Has there been a newer rendering of the Trump Tower?

icescraper
Mar 25, 2007, 6:02 PM
What latest rendition? Has there been a newer rendering of the Trump Tower?

No, not in the last 3 years. In late 1997 Trump floated some pictures around of a rather uninspiring 60 storey square tower with a pyramid style roof. It made the cover of Condo magazine a bit later. Looked a bit like that tall building in Cleveland. It didn't last long and the design was revamped with a more squarish roof at 60 stories with a domed penthouse with a small spire (1999), then 68 with roof spire(2002/3?) then finally additional 2 floors granted. - That's how I remember it. - ice

Taller Better
Mar 25, 2007, 8:38 PM
No, not in the last 3 years. In late 1997 Trump floated some pictures around of a rather uninspiring 60 storey square tower with a pyramid style roof. It made the cover of Condo magazine a bit later. Looked a bit like that tall building in Cleveland. It didn't last long and the design was revamped with a more squarish roof at 60 stories with a domed penthouse with a small spire (1999), then 68 with roof spire(2002/3?) then finally additional 2 floors granted. - That's how I remember it. - ice

Oh, I see what you are talking about. A lot of people confuse that old proposal with the current one. The name Trump came up in both, but that is the only connection - it was intended to be a Ritz hotel, and the deal fell apart for a variety of reasons. This is a completely different proposal, with different backers. I think that is the reason why you simply cannot get it out of the heads of some people that this current project has not been on the table for the past ten years, because they all remember an old proposal linked to the Trump name. This project went into sales in 2005, but many people imagine it started sales ten years ago. :shrug:

Janbe
Mar 25, 2007, 9:36 PM
Hello new here. I have a question for Caltrane74, is groundbreaking in April, where did you here this? Amazing project.

Thanks.

icescraper
Mar 28, 2007, 12:13 AM
Oh, I see what you are talking about. A lot of people confuse that old proposal with the current one. The name Trump came up in both, but that is the only connection - it was intended to be a Ritz hotel, and the deal fell apart for a variety of reasons. This is a completely different proposal, with different backers. I think that is the reason why you simply cannot get it out of the heads of some people that this current project has not been on the table for the past ten years, because they all remember an old proposal linked to the Trump name. This project went into sales in 2005, but many people imagine it started sales ten years ago. :shrug:

Same Project = Same Guy + Same pice of land + Same tower name (partially) + bah bah bah

Taller Better
Mar 28, 2007, 5:44 AM
Same Project = Same Guy + Same pice of land + Same tower name (partially) + bah bah bah

No icescraper, it is not even close to being the same project. The original building proposal was COMPLETELY different, and was a Ritz Carlton Hotel. Do "Trump Tower" and "Ritz Carlton" sound like the same name to you? Donald Trump is not building this... his company is going to manage the hotel. I sincerely doubt if this knowledge will change your mind, however, so I'll leave you to it! :)

WhipperSnapper
Mar 28, 2007, 1:19 PM

Trump was NOT a part of the original development team (some fraudulent American, financier ; Monarch Construction, developer; Ritz Carlton, management; etc.)

icescraper
Mar 29, 2007, 1:16 AM
Trump was NOT a part of the original development team (some fraudulent American, financier ; Monarch Construction, developer; Ritz Carlton, management; etc.)

Wasn't Trump involved with the attempting to secure financing of the project? - ice

icescraper
Mar 30, 2007, 1:38 AM
Okay,
I don't want to leave this thread on a sticky sour note. I'll take back TallerBetter its the same project and proclaim "two vastly similar projects" since they don't have the same name, not the same developer and the brought on promo guy who was a minor background player in the early days had the vision to reinvent the thing and make it work ... enough said, let them build the thing and lets get back to discussing architecture.... - ice

WhipperSnapper
Mar 30, 2007, 2:46 AM
minor background player in the early days had the vision to reinvent the thing and make it work

You do know Trump was brought in by the current development team for hotel management and use of the 'Trump' brand for marketing purposes. Management is hardly a primary role.

JBinCalgary
Mar 30, 2007, 3:23 AM
i didnt know that

Taller Better
Mar 30, 2007, 6:19 AM
Okay,
I don't want to leave this thread on a sticky sour note. I'll take back TallerBetter its the same project and proclaim "two vastly similar projects" since they don't have the same name, not the same developer and the brought on promo guy who was a minor background player in the early days had the vision to reinvent the thing and make it work ... enough said, let them build the thing and lets get back to discussing architecture.... - ice

We don't need sticky or sour notes... this is just the internet afterall! :cheers:
Doesn't really amount to a hill of beans how long the project takes to get off the ground as long as they break ground and get it going. That will be a happy day in my books, even if it has not been the fastest project on the books.

icescraper
Apr 1, 2007, 8:00 PM
You do know Trump was brought in by the current development team for hotel management and use of the 'Trump' brand for marketing purposes. Management is hardly a primary role.

Goodlooking, how were the original Ritz Calton buyers handed when the proposal went "south"? Were their any "transfers to the new tower" or ??

Seems I've got things messed up. Did anyone remember the pointly 60 tower prior to the reworked one at 60 storeys with the dome? It dawned cover of Condo magazine back in 1998 then never heard of it again and the pyramid top replaced with dome. -ice

icescraper
Apr 1, 2007, 8:04 PM
We don't need sticky or sour notes... this is just the internet afterall! :cheers:
Doesn't really amount to a hill of beans how long the project takes to get off the ground as long as they break ground and get it going. That will be a happy day in my books, even if it has not been the fastest project on the books.

Thanks Taller Better, I'm still amazed they are ready to go in that location at that price per square foot. My only concern is the number of high end proposals coming on line. Honestly I thought we had a market for max. two - Ritz and Four Seasons. Hoping Trump, SGL , 1BE(hotel?) prove me wrong! - ice

WhipperSnapper
Apr 1, 2007, 11:14 PM
Goodlooking, how were the original Ritz Calton buyers handed when the proposal went "south"?

The deposits were returned to all the buyers. (far fewer than the 50% sold as advertised)

It dawned cover of Condo magazine back in 1998 then never heard of it again and the pyramid top replaced with dome

can be still seen at http://www.kirkorarchitects.com under commercial projects (too lazy to copy 'n paste it here)

icescraper
Apr 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
The deposits were returned to all the buyers. (far fewer than the 50% sold as advertised)

All right goodlookin' you've convinced me they're two projects. - ice

OrientExpress
Apr 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
I say we wait for Bay Adelaide to be completed before deciding on this one.

OrientExpress
Apr 14, 2007, 4:04 PM
Height decrease of 13flrs, can anyone comfirm.

Waterloo_Guy
Apr 14, 2007, 8:48 PM
Height decrease of 13flrs, can anyone comfirm.

Not yet. There is some confusion over a notice posted at the sales centre, but we don't know anything yet.

401_King
Apr 15, 2007, 2:48 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lq2VZkqXsAk

jaymckay
Apr 15, 2007, 7:52 AM
^^^
this is the same ad They've had on their site for a while. Trump is such a liar--everything can't be 'the most exciting project' he's ever done. Screw Trump, I say, the real hero here is Zeidler. Can't wait for this to be build, even if it's 13 floors shorter.
(disclaimer: I am not confirming the rumor of the shortening of this project. ;) )

WhipperSnapper
Apr 16, 2007, 7:04 PM
The soaring height was the best thing about this design. I'd rather see this proposed reduction not allowed even if it leads to the project's cancellation than to see a stumpy Trump built

This site has so much potential - all it needs is a competent local developer and an internationally recognized high end hotel as a tenant

Taller Better
Apr 16, 2007, 11:58 PM
Height reduction confirmed. 13 stories off the top, apparently. I'd be super-pissed if I bought at the
top and now it is lower.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 17, 2007, 1:47 AM
So now this Tower will only be 850ft there abouts? Makes the spire kind of pointless. Oh well, I'm convinced we're only a few months away from our true 1000 footer to be announced/confirmed. Also as of lately I'm more impressed with the downtown infill then the big projects.

Taller Better
Apr 17, 2007, 2:24 AM
So now this Tower will only be 850ft there abouts? Makes the spire kind of pointless. Oh well, I'm convinced we're only a few months away from our true 1000 footer to be announced/confirmed. Also as of lately I'm more impressed with the downtown infill then the big projects.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. you have some insider info
that you are holding out on us? Or that roomie of yours, perchance? Spit it out!!:whip::whip:

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 17, 2007, 3:49 AM
I know nothing :cool:

401_King
Apr 17, 2007, 3:56 AM
why the floor decrease? this really blows

Taller Better
Apr 17, 2007, 4:00 AM
We have ways of extracting information from you, whistler... and your little dog
Toto, too!
Go on... spit out a hint. You know you want to!!! :)

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 17, 2007, 4:04 AM
LOL, no really I know nothing, I'm just hoping 1BE goes for the height. ;)

caltrane74
Apr 17, 2007, 1:49 PM
why the floor decrease? this really blows

Yeah, it makes no sense..considering contruction financed had been secured. and once the crane is in the sky the remaining units would sell like hot cakes.

The only thing that could have made them hold out on building additional units would be the possible tax implications of sitting on empty unsold units.and the cost to construct them.....

But that aside, once the crane was in the air, those units would have sold much more brisky than present.

It makes utterly no sense..our only hope now is that city council, rejects the variance proposal.

habsfan
Apr 17, 2007, 2:33 PM
maybe at 750,000$ per unit as a starting price, they are having a hard time selling enough fo the units...so they decided to trim some off the top?

Even at 850 feet, this will still be a decent looking skyscraper!

Tony
Apr 17, 2007, 5:19 PM
Height reduction confirmed. 13 stories off the top, apparently. I'd be super-pissed if I bought at the
top and now it is lower.

confirmed by...?

caltrane74
Apr 17, 2007, 5:42 PM
nothing is confirmed until April 25th when it goes to city council. However i doubt they or the omb would force them to build to the previous proposed hieght.

Taller Better
Apr 17, 2007, 6:32 PM
confirmed by...?

Confirmed by the sales office; I went down and asked. Somehow I am doubting the City of Toronto will refuse their request to build shorter by 13 storeys.

caltrane74
Apr 17, 2007, 7:44 PM
57 stories will still equal between 250 meters and 275 meters.

Which is damn tall. But it could have been taller... which sucks.

asher11
Apr 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
Sure not worth getting excited about this project anymore. They can bloody well start it whenever they want - or not.

My prediction for Toronto's tallest by 2050 - FCP. :(

mariokarter
Apr 18, 2007, 12:12 PM
The city should just deny their request to build lower.

Andy6
Apr 19, 2007, 1:44 AM
Yes, I noticed this AM that there's now a "minor zoning variance" notice tacked up at Bay and Adelaide, with a reference to "57 floors". Hard to believe that this could be ready for construction if they're building something that is so substantially different from what they have been advertising and are continuing to advertise on their website.

zerokarma
Apr 19, 2007, 5:14 PM
That sucks

psychosomatic
Apr 19, 2007, 11:54 PM
I dont know if any of you have seen this, but over on ssc, TrumpToronto (seemingly reputable source who seems to be proffessionaly involved with the project), has said the building will indeed be 57 storeys. However, he also said that the tower will still soar to 919 feet. At least that's much less of a height decrease than we expected. I hope thats true :)

icescraper
Apr 20, 2007, 2:46 AM
mmmm.... 57 stories sounds about right for the market. Like I said last year expect another redition at about 55 stories. This will finally get built. - Ice

Taller Better
Apr 20, 2007, 4:36 AM
Hey, 919 feet is still a pretty damn high building.. my interest has picked back up a bit! Maybe it won't look too bad after all :)

401_King
Apr 20, 2007, 12:28 PM
what was the original height ?

Taller Better
Apr 20, 2007, 1:15 PM
Just over 1000 feet.. something like 1017. I am too lazy to look back but it was around that figure.

caltrane74
Apr 20, 2007, 3:31 PM
Good News good News!!

401_King
Apr 21, 2007, 12:11 AM
Just over 1000 feet.. something like 1017. I am too lazy to look back but it was around that figure.

hmm so we lost like a 100 ft? thats not to bad right?

psychosomatic
Apr 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
actually the height of the 70 story version was going to be 1066 feet, including the spire. so we've lost about 140 feet. Still not too bad. considering this building's narrow footprint, i think it will still look amazing.

Roger72075
Apr 21, 2007, 11:29 PM
I was very disappointed to hear about the Trump height reduction. What does it take to get a 1000-footer in Toronto? Even Nashville, Tennessee of all places will most likely be getting one pretty soon...

Taller Better
Apr 22, 2007, 12:51 PM
I was very disappointed to hear about the Trump height reduction. What does it take to get a 1000-footer in Toronto? Even Nashville, Tennessee of all places will most likely be getting one pretty soon...

We've had First Canadian Place which is about two meters short of "1000" feet (without the antennae and well over "1000 feet" with) since the 1970's, so it is not really anything that will keep us awake at night worrying. We've no shortage of "skyscrapers" in Toronto, and for anyone who is into measuring, there is the CN Tower which is pretty tall ;)

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 22, 2007, 3:38 PM
Even Nashville, Tennessee of all places will most likely be getting one pretty soon...

Wow a 1000 footer in Nashville will look so out of place. But then again they do have that ridiculous LOTR building.

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/aboutus/downtown%20nashville%20tennessee.jpg

Taller Better
Apr 22, 2007, 3:50 PM
Lol! :haha:

btw, what does "most likely" mean? Is it being constructed?

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Apr 22, 2007, 3:56 PM
OMG he's right! LOL!

http://www.signaturetowernashville.com/index.php

WhipperSnapper
Apr 22, 2007, 4:10 PM
Even Nashville, Tennessee of all places will most likely be getting one pretty soon

which makes '1000 feet' even more arbitrary

Taller Better
Apr 22, 2007, 4:42 PM
The Nashville project looks a lot like a tongue-in-cheek rendering elliot did a week or so ago!

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/9641/1bloorefantasybyelliotxd1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

icescraper
Apr 22, 2007, 6:00 PM
Three months ago we had nothing solid, now we have a financed 900+ footer which more importantly architecturally superior to a lot of other buildings in the downtown core. Unfortunately its not going to stand out from the south view however this isn't exactly an infill project either! Why the sour faces? We're getting the tallest residential building in Canada! - ice

Roger72075
Apr 22, 2007, 10:37 PM
Three months ago we had nothing solid, now we have a financed 900+ footer which more importantly architecturally superior to a lot of other buildings in the downtown core. Unfortunately its not going to stand out from the south view however this isn't exactly an infill project either! Why the sour faces? We're getting the tallest residential building in Canada! - ice

Yea, I guess you're right. A 900-footer is better than nothing. I would take high density mid-rise cities (Vancouver) over bad planning high-rise cities (Dubai).

psychosomatic
Apr 23, 2007, 2:19 PM
There is nothing inherently special about 1000 feet, other than the arbitrary reverence we give to this height. I've heard so many people (myself often included) complaining bitterly about this height decrease, not because they think it will ruin the appearance of the tower, but instead because they attach way too much importance to the number 1000.

Taller Better
Apr 23, 2007, 4:10 PM
Aesthetics/proportion are ALWAYS more important than height. Height AND good aesthetics is a winning combination!