no-one calls it that

prairies was better

Archiseek
Mar 16, 2007, 4:34 PM
and why isnt THUNDER BAY in ONTARIO?

This is fubared

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 4:34 PM
That was a classification I made up to best describe the areas being covered.

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 4:35 PM
and why isnt THUNDER BAY in ONTARIO?

This is fubared

The other guy can best explain.

Archiseek
Mar 16, 2007, 4:36 PM
so basically you made up a title but no-one out here calls these provinces mid-western.....

typical toronto meddling ;)

vid
Mar 16, 2007, 5:25 PM
Thunder Bay didn't fit in Ontario. Thunder Bay doesn't even feel like it's in Ontario.

Why don't we call it "The Conflict Zone" and make everyone happy, since we obviously aren't. :(

Archiseek
Mar 16, 2007, 5:59 PM
well it should be in the ontario forum where people will look for it

this frankly is ridiculous and completely counter-intuitive

vid
Mar 16, 2007, 6:03 PM
Rename the Ontario Forum to Southern Ontario Forum, and we've got about 5 Northern Ontarians to even things out here.

Northern Ontario is as Ontarian as Saskatchewan is Manitoban. It doesn't make much sense but if you lived here you'd know it's true.

drew
Mar 16, 2007, 6:30 PM
Thunder Bay being here is fine with me - but "Midwestern Canada" sounds retarded.

"Central" Canada would be better...

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 6:47 PM
That name could work also.

wags_in_the_peg
Mar 16, 2007, 7:03 PM
we aint the USA, get rid of midwestern. Prairies or Central Canada

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 7:07 PM
Yea I was thinking that, sounds like a US thing.

Only The Lonely..
Mar 16, 2007, 7:22 PM
Central canada refers to Southern Ontario, why not just place us in the Ontario forum then.

Seriously, i'm midwestern and damn proud of it!

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 7:28 PM
Well this is the forum for the most name changes, even though it's the newest.

someone123
Mar 16, 2007, 7:40 PM
"Central Canada" means Ontario and possibly Quebec. It's a term that's been around for a long time.

Why don't you just call it "Manitoba and Saskatchewan"?

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 7:40 PM
Yea it turns out that Central Canada is officially Ontario and Quebec so that's out.

Only The Lonely..
Mar 16, 2007, 7:43 PM
:previous:

Thank you.

I don't see anything wrong in calling us the Midwest.

The American Midwest covers Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota..

Since both provinces and 'province to be' (NW Ontario) span the same distance it makes sense to think of ourselves as the Canadian Midwest.

vid
Mar 16, 2007, 7:46 PM
How about "The part of Canada that no one seems to want"?

circle33
Mar 16, 2007, 7:46 PM
I vote for "The Rest", even though we aren't voting ...

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 7:58 PM
Ok I think this name works best.

macca
Mar 16, 2007, 8:00 PM
Why not either: seperate SK and MN sections or else just it call it prairies. We are two thirds of the prairies, after all. And seriously, why is Thunder Bay not in the Ontario section? It doesn't "feel" like Ontario? Well I certainly don't "feel" very Saskatchewan or "prairie" but the maps beg to differ.

harls
Mar 16, 2007, 8:00 PM
Central time zone area, plus T-Bay.

vid
Mar 16, 2007, 8:02 PM
What about the time of year Saskatchewan is in Mountain time zone?

How about "88 to 110 W"?

harls
Mar 16, 2007, 8:04 PM
it's always central standard for them, which can be mountain (as it is currently).

Lousy farmers.

(ps - I can say that, I'm from a lousy farm, so don't jump all over me)

Calgarian
Mar 16, 2007, 8:07 PM
How about "no mans land"

Only The Lonely..
Mar 16, 2007, 8:10 PM
How about "Sexy Manitoba plus 2.." ?

drew
Mar 16, 2007, 8:13 PM
How about "no mans land"

^ I guess a lot of men from this area have left to go work in the sausage party that is Alberta... so I can see your point...

m0nkyman
Mar 16, 2007, 8:29 PM
Call it what it is. Canada's fly-over zone.

;)

chris
Mar 16, 2007, 8:35 PM
Just put Thunder Bay back where it belongs...IN ONTARIO...dammit!

vid
Mar 16, 2007, 8:36 PM
I love sausages! :5:

And Thunder Bay doesn't belong in Ontario. Not according to Dalton McGuinty.

As soon as gold runs out and Forestry disappears, we're nothing to Ontario. Which isn't a far cry from what we are now.

At least with Manitoba we'd be with people that understand us. It's kinda of embarrassing when you have to go to another province to find people that understand what's going on in your own region.

big W
Mar 16, 2007, 9:01 PM
What about in between land?

macca
Mar 16, 2007, 9:23 PM
I think Saskatoon should be in the Alberta section. Geographically we're close, they're are thousand upon thousands of Saskatoonians in Alberta, Saskatoon has a bit (just a bit!) of that go-commerce, go-private sector, economy go-boom thing that Alberta does so well... Saskatoon just doesn't belong in (the) Saskatchewan (section). Does that sound ridiculous enough? Perhaps if almost nobody else backed me up on this random bit of non-logic, then a moderator or admin could make it happen.

Sorry, I'm in a mood today.

Only The Lonely..
Mar 16, 2007, 9:29 PM
Well you guys almost were your own province at one time.

Circa 1900

http://www.bouletfermat.com/backgrounds/canada_circa_1900/canadian_prairies_map_c1900_800x600.jpg

Calgarian
Mar 16, 2007, 10:09 PM
^ I guess a lot of men from this area have left to go work in the sausage party that is Alberta... so I can see your point...

That's only Fort McMurray, Calgary has more Women than Men. Thanks for coming out. :rolleyes:

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 10:38 PM
I might have to officially kick out north west ontario from here, at least on paper.

But that wouldn't necessarily stop an interest in north western ontario posting here based on the threads and subjects created here.

vid
Mar 16, 2007, 10:41 PM
Why?

M II A II R II K
Mar 16, 2007, 10:47 PM
Well as you have stated you have more in common with the Manitoba, so this setup is practical even if it's unusual.

I was told from higher up that all of Ontario should remain in Ontario. But then again that's on paper anyway.

That doesn't mean you would lose interest in posting in the threads here, particularly if the threads are created in a way that is not city specific for NW Ontario.

HomeInMyShoes
Mar 16, 2007, 11:04 PM
I was looking for the Comerica leaving Detroit thread. Where is it?

samne
Mar 16, 2007, 11:12 PM
MidWestern Canada?....nah, Prairies is much better.

CCF
Mar 16, 2007, 11:34 PM
I thought Saskatchewan and Manitoba worked just fine....

Blitz
Mar 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
This name makes no sense. When I first saw it, I thought it was about Southwestern Ontario (which is the most "midwestern" part of Canada in terms of culture).

Arriviste
Mar 17, 2007, 12:33 AM
Awesome.
You poor mid western Canadians have been marginalized it seems.

The Jabroni
Mar 17, 2007, 1:41 AM
Awesome.
You poor mid western Canadians have been marginalized it seems.

Marginalized is an understatement. :(

Seriously, this Mid-western name thing is somewhat degrading. I mean, that type of name is sort of taken by the U.S. with their states being Midwest.

Hell, let's annex Northwestern Ontario with Manitoba already dammit! This will solve everyones problems here. That, plus it would probably cream vid's pants if and/or when that day comes (no pun intended!). :jester:

softee
Mar 17, 2007, 9:32 PM
Unlike Vid in the Northwest, I feel very much a part of Ontario here in North Bay, both Toronto and Ottawa are only a 3-4 hour drive away.

I guess now I'll be the only one posting in the Northern Ontario construction thread. Might as well change the name to "Northeastern Ontario developments" without Thunder Bay.

M II A II R II K
Mar 17, 2007, 9:37 PM
I was told that all of Ontario should remain in Ontario, at least officially.

That doesn't mean that the 807 wouldn't be interested in participating here anyway. The Thunder Bay thread may not have much reason to exist given the lack of sizeable construction taking place there and lack of forumers.

Dalreg
Mar 17, 2007, 10:59 PM
Midwestern? You folks have lost your credibility with me. This is NOT the USA. I am very disappointed with this title.

What's next Ontario section being labelled Southern Canada?

CCF
Mar 17, 2007, 11:02 PM
Since Thunder Bay is gone, it would make sense to rename it Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

freeweed
Mar 18, 2007, 12:51 AM
Unlike Vid in the Northwest, I feel very much a part of Ontario here in North Bay, both Toronto and Ottawa are only a 3-4 hour drive away.

That's because, contrary to what folks in Toronto try to convince you, you're in southern Ontario. Maybe eastern; the whole province isn't nice and rectangular like the rest of the country.

But yeah, North Bay is far closer to Toronto or Ottawa than Thunder Bay is - roughly 800km as the crow flies!

I'm still at a loss as to why "the praries" doesn't work - as it seems the truth about "central Canada" still offends those from the east. :jester:

sask1982
Mar 18, 2007, 12:51 AM
How about "The part of Canada that no one seems to want"?

My thoughts EXACTLY -

ScrappyPeg
Mar 18, 2007, 1:13 AM
I'm rarely prone to feelings of empathy - but I say leave Northwestern Ontario in here. I was also always told that they feel like they are more part of Manitoba than Ontario, and I find that flattering!

Vid, I don't know you, but you are welcome in my Manitoba!:)

M II A II R II K
Mar 18, 2007, 1:15 AM
I'm rarely prone to feelings of empathy - but I say leave Northwestern Ontario in here. I was also always told that they feel like they are more part of Manitoba than Ontario, and I find that flattering!

Vid, I don't know you, but you are welcome in my Manitoba!:)

I was thinking the same thing, and accomodated that. Since NWO feels they have more in common with Manitoba and is more associated with it.

But like I said from the one step higher than me, I was overruled and was told that all of Ontario should remain in Ontario.

But like I said before people from NWO probably would still be interested in the topics posted here to participate here.

Andy6
Mar 18, 2007, 1:19 AM
That's because, contrary to what folks in Toronto try to convince you, you're in southern Ontario. Maybe eastern; the whole province isn't nice and rectangular like the rest of the country.

But yeah, North Bay is far closer to Toronto or Ottawa than Thunder Bay is - roughly 800km as the crow flies!

I'm still at a loss as to why "the praries" doesn't work - as it seems the truth about "central Canada" still offends those from the east. :jester:

Because the Prairies are three provinces, and only two of those are in this subforum.

biguc
Mar 18, 2007, 4:13 AM
I like Midwestern Canada. Winnipeg, for one, is plainly a midwest city.

HomeInMyShoes
Mar 18, 2007, 4:38 AM
Having lived in Winnipeg for a while and now Saint Louis, I would agree that Winnipeg has a midwest feel.

spiritedenergy
Mar 18, 2007, 6:33 AM
Having lived in Winnipeg for a while and now Saint Louis, I would agree that Winnipeg has a midwest feel.

so what is a "midwest feel"? Is St. Louis in Midwest USA or in south? If I think of Midwest, i think of Detroit, Chicago, while Winnipeg makes me think more of Texas, Kansas, Tennessee... or maybe is the same culture?
I'm liking country music at the moment, I feel midwestern too:D

Xelebes
Mar 18, 2007, 6:41 AM
The Midwest (Memphis, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland) is home of blues. The Wild West (Bismarck, Denver, Butte, Oklahoma City) is home of country. I thought I would make that clarification.

spiritedenergy
Mar 18, 2007, 6:48 AM
The Midwest (Memphis, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland) is home of blues. The Wild West (Bismarck, Denver, Butte, Oklahoma City) is home of country. I thought I would make that clarification.

but isn't Nashville the capital of country music???:frog:

Xelebes
Mar 18, 2007, 6:57 AM
It is also where rock music began.

Nashville and St. Louis are important artistic crossroads much like Istanbul and Berlin.

spiritedenergy
Mar 18, 2007, 7:07 AM
It is also where rock music began.

Nashville and St. Louis are important artistic crossroads much like Istanbul and Berlin.

ohhhhh that's so good... I want to drive down all the midwest and then suicide myself like Thelma and Louise:D
I start loving midwestern culture...

Xelebes
Mar 18, 2007, 7:14 AM
Why go all the way south? You can do it in the comfort of home in Winnipeg!

Anyways, how does Northwest Canada sound? Of course, refering to the old Northwest Territories.

arnold
Mar 18, 2007, 7:15 AM
i may be a little late to the debate, (and granted, i haven't read through all of the pages yet) but i have to say that i absolutley hate the new 'midwestern canada' moniker.

canada doesn't have a midwest. it has the prarie provinces... a proud and historical name that's distinctly canadian. i mean, our country didn't develop in the way that the US did, so the term 'midwest' doesn't really apply. its nonsensical to apply it so willy-nilly.

if it did, then windsor, ontario would be 'midwestern' since its a mere half km from detroit...

HomeInMyShoes
Mar 18, 2007, 1:35 PM
Country music is not the MidWest and Memphis and Nashville are South. Saint Louis is a bit of a border city. It can feel Midwestern, but can also feel Southern at times. Most people I've talked to in Saint Louis call it the MidWest and given its place in American history it makes a lot of sense. Again, terms like MidWest always blur a bit on the edges and Saint Louis is a good example. Architecturally it's got a lot of Southern French influence. Music-wise it's mainly blues and the home of Chuck Berry.

The similarities in MidWest that I see in Winnipeg are mainly as a transportation hub opening up the further west portions of Canada. As well, Winnipeg's great stock of turn of the century warehouse buildings immediately gives a Chicago feel.

As arnold said, Midwestern is just wrong for Canada. Midwestern is a US thing, Prairie is a Canada thing. Bring back Prairie with Alberta included. Especially given the number of people in Alberta that called Saskatchewan home it's good to see it all in one spot. Or at least convenient for me having lived in all three Prairie provinces in my life. :)

Blitz
Mar 18, 2007, 11:15 PM
canada doesn't have a midwest. it has the prarie provinces... a proud and historical name that's distinctly canadian. i mean, our country didn't develop in the way that the US did, so the term 'midwest' doesn't really apply. its nonsensical to apply it so willy-nilly.
if it did, then windsor, ontario would be 'midwestern' since its a mere half km from detroit...

That's the point I was trying to make too. Windsor-Sarnia-Chatham is the "Midwestern" part of Canada.

Keep Ontario together and change the name to Manitoba & Saskatchewan.

spiritedenergy
Mar 18, 2007, 11:17 PM
Country music is not the MidWest and Memphis and Nashville are South. Saint Louis is a bit of a border city. It can feel Midwestern, but can also feel Southern at times. Most people I've talked to in Saint Louis call it the MidWest and given its place in American history it makes a lot of sense. Again, terms like MidWest always blur a bit on the edges and Saint Louis is a good example. Architecturally it's got a lot of Southern French influence. Music-wise it's mainly blues and the home of Chuck Berry.

The similarities in MidWest that I see in Winnipeg are mainly as a transportation hub opening up the further west portions of Canada. As well, Winnipeg's great stock of turn of the century warehouse buildings immediately gives a Chicago feel.

As arnold said, Midwestern is just wrong for Canada. Midwestern is a US thing, Prairie is a Canada thing. Bring back Prairie with Alberta included. Especially given the number of people in Alberta that called Saskatchewan home it's good to see it all in one spot. Or at least convenient for me having lived in all three Prairie provinces in my life. :)

I was right then... those misleading winnipeggers:D
Detroit and Chicago are midwest, that's jazz:frog:

LilZebra
Mar 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
Central canada refers to Southern Ontario, why not just place us in the Ontario forum then.

Seriously, i'm midwestern and damn proud of it!

No, Eastern Canada usually refers to Ontario and Quebec.
Atlantic Canada is for the Maritime provinces...

I'm OK with Prairies or Central Canada...

Mid-Eastern Canada, however, wouldn't be a good thing, right? ;)

LilZebra
Mar 18, 2007, 11:34 PM
Why not either: seperate SK and MN sections or else just it call it prairies. We are two thirds of the prairies, after all. And seriously, why is Thunder Bay not in the Ontario section? It doesn't "feel" like Ontario? Well I certainly don't "feel" very Saskatchewan or "prairie" but the maps beg to differ.

We aren't discussing Minnesota (MN) here, so why are you including it? :frog:

LilZebra
Mar 18, 2007, 11:40 PM
Why go all the way south? You can do it in the comfort of home in Winnipeg!

Anyways, how does Northwest Canada sound? Of course, refering to the old Northwest Territories.

Chilly, dude. :twoguns:

Greco Roman
Mar 19, 2007, 12:31 AM
We aren't discussing Minnesota (MN) here, so why are you including it? :frog:

I was thinking the same thing :cool:

VANRIDERFAN
Mar 19, 2007, 1:03 AM
I was thinking the same thing, and accomodated that. Since NWO feels they have more in common with Manitoba and is more associated with it.

But like I said from the one step higher than me, I was overruled and was told that all of Ontario should remain in Ontario.

But like I said before people from NWO probably would still be interested in the topics posted here to participate here.

When Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec were on the verge of expanding their borders there was a great amount of lobbying from Manitoba and Ontario regarding present-day NW Ontario. Suffice to say Ontario's (as per normal) interests won out over Manitoba's.:yuck:

Andy6
Mar 19, 2007, 1:13 AM
How about "Friendly Land of Living Skies" or, if we include vid, "Friendly Land of Living Skies to Discover"?

someone123
Mar 19, 2007, 1:36 AM
How about "Friendly Land of Living Skies"

Is this some kind of reference to the mosquitoes?

Andy6
Mar 19, 2007, 3:07 AM
I guess anything flying around in the air over Halifax would quickly drown.

Greco Roman
Mar 19, 2007, 3:15 AM
Does anyone know if vid really got suspended? And if so, why?

freeweed
Mar 19, 2007, 4:05 AM
Does anyone know if vid really got suspended? And if so, why?

His account says so, so I'd assume yes. One of the more non-offensive folks on these forums so your guess is as good as mine.

He might have somehow ticked someone off who then went overboard on him; sometimes mods will just take the easy road and suspend both parties for a while - kinda like hockey refs, even when it's clearly a one-sided problem.

I certainly don't see anything in his recent posting history that merits a ban, but I don't run the show here, I just toe the line. ;)

rrskylar
Mar 19, 2007, 6:09 AM
Me thinks this was it: posted by vid " You are the LORD."

Dalreg
Mar 19, 2007, 10:16 AM
Back to topic. Midwest is just stupid. This is something that won't go away so how about just something simple. Man-Sask.

Archiseek
Mar 19, 2007, 2:37 PM
vid got canned over this?
how ridiculous

caltrane74
Mar 19, 2007, 2:47 PM
Vid, suspended agian. Why does nothing that happens here ever surprise me??

someone123
Mar 19, 2007, 8:59 PM
Some mods aren't a fan of vid's trolling but it's pretty harmless.

Sometimes the forum kind of reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwbjcuQUv8

CCF
Mar 20, 2007, 12:35 AM
PLEASE, change the name to Saskatchewan and Manitoba. This is rediculous.

Greco Roman
Mar 20, 2007, 1:17 AM
Not sure about the rest of you, but I've noticed a few more Saskatchewan users on this new section that I had never noticed before on the old western Canada section.

Marc B.
Mar 20, 2007, 1:24 AM
Me thinks this was it: posted by vid " You are the LORD."

Really? What's involved in a suspension?

Not trying to stir anything up, just curious.

freeweed
Mar 20, 2007, 3:35 AM
A suspension (typically) just blocks you from posting for a few days. You can still read the forums, just not post.

I imagine there are more severe blocks possible.

So is calling someone lord grounds for suspension now? Religious intolerance? ;)

flatlander
Mar 20, 2007, 4:26 AM
I asked Vid what he got banned for. It wasn't the "Lord" comment. It was a little naughtier. Wish I could find it in the forums.

Mar 20, 2007, 8:24 PM
Central Time Zone = Central Canada :yes:

Just for the record, as others have stated, I have never heard "Midwestern" used for this part of our great land.

freeweed
Mar 21, 2007, 3:30 AM
I asked Vid what he got banned for. It wasn't the "Lord" comment. It was a little naughtier. Wish I could find it in the forums.

Naughtier indeed. I'm not much of a forum prude, but I'm not surprised frankly. I imagine there are a few more suspensions.

The comments in question (and thread) have been deleted, with good reason.

Archiseek
Mar 21, 2007, 4:05 AM
Central Time Zone = Central Canada :yes:

Just for the record, as others have stated, I have never heard "Midwestern" used for this part of our great land.

i'd go with Central Canada too.....

drew
Mar 21, 2007, 4:23 AM
It was "central" canada for about 15 minutes...

Apparently it ruffled a few feathers in the official (but not geographic) "centre" of Canada.

Dalreg
Mar 21, 2007, 10:26 AM
It was "central" canada for about 15 minutes...

Apparently it ruffled a few feathers in the official (but not geographic) "centre" of Canada.

Any proof? Administration has stated elsewhere that they would leave things for a few weeks to see how things went before making any changes. I guess they can make and break the rules as they please.

drew
Mar 21, 2007, 1:39 PM
^ take a look on the first page of this thread. I had suggested Central Canada in a post - and the sub-fourm name was actually changed to "Central", and as you read down the page you can see what happened shortly there after.

yeeg
Mar 21, 2007, 3:10 PM
They need to rename this thread to "Manitoooba" as it seems very few people from sask are posting...Other than the Regina/Saskatoon threads which tell me very little...

CCF
Mar 21, 2007, 9:18 PM
They need to rename this thread to "Manitoooba" as it seems very few people from sask are posting...Other than the Regina/Saskatoon threads which tell me very little...

As opposed to all the people from Manitoba posting outside the WInnipeg thread............

macca
Mar 21, 2007, 9:28 PM
Does Manitoba have some kind of problem with Saskatchewan? Manitoba has more people than SK. Winnipeg is larger than Saskatoon and Regina, combined. The facts are undisputed. Are the posters who have issues with how few SK members and SK posts there are sufficiently appeased now? Can we move on?

Greco Roman
Mar 22, 2007, 2:25 AM
Does Manitoba have some kind of problem with Saskatchewan?

No.

And I'm sure Saskatchewan doesn't have a problem with Manitoba. ;)

NOW let's move on.

Dalreg
Mar 22, 2007, 10:40 AM

To Saskatchewan you mean. But I guess most of you in Manitoba couldn't post then as it would take all day for you to type out Saskatchewan.:haha:

ReginaGuy
Mar 22, 2007, 10:31 PM
And the Winnipeg thread tells you a lot?? Every time i go in that thread, they're talking about weather or parking lots lol

Greco Roman
Mar 22, 2007, 11:45 PM
So, does this mean that it won't be possible for the two provinces to co-exist with eachother?

spiritedenergy
Mar 23, 2007, 2:06 AM
fight bewteen poors?? please no...

newflyer
Mar 23, 2007, 2:31 AM
And the Winnipeg thread tells you a lot?? Every time i go in that thread, they're talking about weather or parking lots lol

You don't understand ... in Winnipeg Parking and Weather is HUGE!!!

I mean every man and there dog complains about parking in Winnipeg, yet half of downtown is parking.

Jimbo
Mar 23, 2007, 8:33 AM
Why is it so god damn difficult to give Manitoba and Sask. thier own threads?