PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan Census

CCF
Mar 16, 2007, 6:28 AM
Apparently we lost 11,000 people since 2001. However, with that in mind the 2001 census was off too when they pegged our population at 22,000 less than the actual number.

We also have to consider that 2001 was a much different time than 2006/2007. We are seeing people who can't afford BC.Alberta moving to or moving back to Saskatchewan.

Thoughts?

nook
Mar 16, 2007, 7:34 AM
I think Saskatchewan is a great place to live and I'd love to stay here.

I'm 21 and, yeah, Alberta does pay more... But it costs a lot more to live there, too. I don't see the point in moving there.

Next census, we'll be growin'

Echoes
Mar 17, 2007, 1:49 AM
It's unfortunate that the census came out when it did. The numbers we're seeing on the census are not current, as I'd wager we're on the uphill climb population wise. So for Canadians to look at this census and see the Sask. stats, they may have no idea about how good things are going here... and we're just getting started.

CCF
Mar 17, 2007, 2:46 AM
It's unfortunate that the census came out when it did. The numbers we're seeing on the census are not current, as I'd wager we're on the uphill climb population wise. So for Canadians to look at this census and see the Sask. stats, they may have no idea about how good things are going here... and we're just getting started.

People never have and never will know how good things are here. People will always be smug towards us even though we have great cities with low costs of living, lots of opportunity, etc.

Oh well, at least it keeps the rift raft out.

IntotheWest
Mar 17, 2007, 6:25 AM
^Some people may be smug. But your absolutely right, Saskatoon and Regina are nice places to live.

As far as cities under 500k, outside of Saskatoon, you only here good things about it (I've had a couple high school friends that moved there shortly after university back in the 90's...still there). I also have a couple friend travelling to Regina for work at Sasktel, and love the people, and the summers.

As well, in the last year, since Calgary's prices have shot through the roof, I have two friends that grew up in Regina move back - mostly for cost of living, but also a slower pace (Calgary is getting comparitively close to TO).

The Sask government has been marketing heavily here (if you weren't aware) for the past several months about the benefits of living there. Its also made the local news here several times because of how Sask is also booming - in some ways in support of the oil boom in NE Alberta.

CCF
Mar 17, 2007, 7:21 AM
^Some people may be smug. But your absolutely right, Saskatoon and Regina are nice places to live.

As far as cities under 500k, outside of Saskatoon, you only here good things about it (I've had a couple high school friends that moved there shortly after university back in the 90's...still there). I also have a couple friend travelling to Regina for work at Sasktel, and love the people, and the summers.

As well, in the last year, since Calgary's prices have shot through the roof, I have two friends that grew up in Regina move back - mostly for cost of living, but also a slower pace (Calgary is getting comparitively close to TO).

The Sask government has been marketing heavily here (if you weren't aware) for the past several months about the benefits of living there. Its also made the local news here several times because of how Sask is also booming - in some ways in support of the oil boom in NE Alberta.

That's what the word is on the street. From my talks with real estate agents, they've never seen the Regina market like this. Houses are selling the day they go on the market with several bids $10,000 higher than the asking price. Apparently it's a combination of Albertans and BCers moving to and back to Saskatchewan, as well as those from other provinces investing in real estate.

If you have a free minute and want to see, look at all of the houses that have been sold. More houses sold than not on this site.

http://sk.athomecanada.com/listing_browse.php?cur_page=1&&city=Regina

Here's a news story based on a family who made the move. (there's a 20 second screwup right at the beginning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aILQl-pUuys

ReginaGuy
Mar 17, 2007, 6:18 PM
Don't forget that the census numbers are likely thousands less than they really are. Saskatchewan's population jumped quite a bit during the last census after they corrected for under-counts. And I read somewhere that an entire reserve didn't get counted somewhere up north

Mayor Quimby
Mar 18, 2007, 7:30 AM
Yes the census numbers are a snap shot of the population and should be taken as representing only the population in June of 2006. However, one can see trends and effectiveness of policies implemented over that period.

For example, Regina's city council pledged in 2001 or 2002 that they would increase the city's population to 250,000 by 2010. What the census shows us with 4 years left until the goal year, council's policies to obtain this number have clearly failed. Regina has gain just over 200 people each year since 2001, far from the amount needed to accomplish this promise. At this point, they will need to see a growth rate of 40% over the next 4 years to reach the pledge or 10%/ 18,000 per year.

However, it is wrong to state that it is wrong or negative, as Mayor Fiacco has done.

ReginaGuy
Mar 18, 2007, 9:04 AM
Yes the census numbers are a snap shot of the population and should be taken as representing only the population in June of 2006. However, one can see trends and effectiveness of policies implemented over that period.

For example, Regina's city council pledged in 2001 or 2002 that they would increase the city's population to 250,000 by 2010. What the census shows us with 4 years left until the goal year, council's policies to obtain this number have clearly failed. Regina has gain just over 200 people each year since 2001, far from the amount needed to accomplish this promise. At this point, they will need to see a growth rate of 40% over the next 4 years to reach the pledge or 10%/ 18,000 per year.

However, it is wrong to state that it is wrong or negative, as Mayor Fiacco has done.

I thought you said your posts weren't politically motivated :rolleyes: .. Can you even make a post without mentioning Pat Fiacco?

simple answer: no

Mayor Quimby
Mar 18, 2007, 6:27 PM
Well c'mon now, that man has blamed Maclean's for NC and now the census for low pop. He set a goal that is impossible to meet at this point and nobody is calling him on it. Except for one blogger, it is sad. The guy isn't a leader and couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. He has been an utter disaster and I reiterate my challenge to prove me wrong.

Marc B.
Mar 18, 2007, 7:32 PM
I lived in Saskatoon in the mid 1990s and loved it. Moved away for school. If I could find a good job, I'd move myself and my family back in a second.