PDA

View Full Version : LOUISVILLE | Museum Plaza | 696 FT / 214 M | 61 FLOORS

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Vertigo
Mar 13, 2007, 2:27 PM
This thing's pretty much a go at this point...

Museum Plaza gets state aid
By Joseph Gerth
jgerth@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal
Monday, March 12, 2007

FRANKFORT, Ky. — The Museum Plaza project for downtown Louisville cleared a major hurdle today when the General Assembly passed legislation authorizing the use of $130.million in state and local tax revenue for road, floodwall and other improvements in connection with the $465.million project.

“Museum Plaza will be built,” said Craig Greenberg, a member of the project’s development team, which was waiting for approval of the legislation as the last piece of the economic puzzle for the 62-story riverfront structure at Seventh Street and River Road in Louisville. “We will definitely have shovels in the ground later this year.”

Final passage came after the Senate Appropriations and Revenue Committee made changes in House Bill 549 to allow such tax benefits for similar large-scale projects throughout the state.

The bill passed the Senate 35-1. The House approved Senate changes 85-11. And Jodi Whitaker, spokeswoman for Gov. Ernie Fletcher, said he will sign the bill.

“I’m tickled to death,” said House Speaker Pro Tem Larry Clark, the Louisville
Democrat who shepherded the bill through the House. “It’s the biggest project that will ever be built in Jefferson County using private and public money. I’m just glad it’s done.”

Saying the bill would help people in Kentucky “build buildings that can be seen from the moon,” Senate President David Williams urged passage of the legislation in the Republican-controlled Senate.

“This is a great day for the Kentucky Senate and a great day for business,” said Senate Democratic Floor Leader Ed Worley, who worked with Williams and others over the weekend to hammer out a final version of the bill.

Read more in Friday’s Courier-Journal and at courier-journal.com
----------------------------------
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...S0101/70312061

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/mp1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/m2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/m3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/m4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/m5.jpg

Nowhereman1280
Mar 13, 2007, 4:02 PM
hurray!

Glad to hear it is approved! This is the kind of cutting edge/crazy design we don't seem to see much in the US or even the world!

Good for Louisville!

colemonkee
Mar 13, 2007, 4:51 PM
That first nighttime rendering looks great! Very dynamic. Couldn't this have been posted to the original Museum Plaza thread, or was that purged?

WonderlandPark
Mar 13, 2007, 4:55 PM
_no_freaking_way_

they really going to do it?

Nightime rendering looks better.

cactus22minus1
Mar 13, 2007, 5:46 PM
I was never a huge fan of the design when it was announced, and to a point I'm still not sure what to think even with Louisville being a city close to home. But I'm crazy excited to see this approved! This kind of extraordinary development is very needed, esp. in a city like Louisville.

I don't know if I'll like the design when(if) it's done, but it's definitely going to help the skyline and bring some new life downtown. I think it has the possibility of really growing on me once it starts going up, so for now I'll continue to ponder those renders...

EDIT: Forgot to ask- anyone remember the height for this sucker?

urban_encounter
Mar 13, 2007, 8:47 PM
Personally i like the fact that it's a bold design.

And I'm certain that this will become a wonderful signature building for Louisville..

Congrats..

:)

CGII
Mar 13, 2007, 8:56 PM

http://www.detroithomesguide.com/img/detroit-skyline.jpg

trvlr70
Mar 13, 2007, 9:00 PM
^^^^^^
Yep...I was thinking the same thing here.

Vertigo
Mar 13, 2007, 9:00 PM
703 feet is the official height

I think a lot of the initial resistance to this building will be dampened once people EXPERIENCE this in person. You won't just drive by and say 'Oh, how neat!'. Despite the advances in computer renderings, this is a project that is just so massive in scope that it's difficult to portray through virtual photos or videos.

In addition to that, as each new set of renderings have emerged, it's become obvious that this is not a project that was built to stand out just for the sake of being so different (as many have insisted). The architects and the developers have spent an enormous amount of time working together to create something truly special.

In fact, I can't think of a project in recent memory where the developers AND the architects both had such fantastic visions that seemed to come together so perfectly. Usually one trumps the other at some point.

Skyscrapers have always been a reflection of technology. They're also considered some of our greatest works of art. And even today, they spur controversy wherever they are built. Museum Plaza has all of these traits. In some ways, that makes it a 'perfect' skyscraper.

Vertigo
Mar 13, 2007, 9:02 PM
Oh no, not the Detroit comparisons again. I'm not even going there...

BnaBreaker
Mar 13, 2007, 10:48 PM
Congrats on Louisville for pushing such a daring project like this through. I love the city. However, design wise I just never have been wild about this thing. It looks like a proposal from 1958 resurrected or something. Who knows though, I could be surprised. I'm sure it will look better in person than it does in a rendering.

Ersh
Mar 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
Congrats to louisville for getting a 700 footer, but still think this building looks horrid. The night time render makes it look pretty sweet, but still it looks like a bunch of those black boxes built in the 60's stacked in a weird way.

Also am I the only one that sees a hand giving the peace or victory sign when looking at the render? :notacrook:

Tom In Chicago
Mar 13, 2007, 11:17 PM
Cool building. . .

Aleks
Mar 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
this is a really cool building butnit should be built in miami or sumwhere else

usually i hate blocky buildings but i love this design

kool maudit
Mar 14, 2007, 12:01 AM
i like it save the diagonal part.

Jeff_in_Dayton
Mar 14, 2007, 12:22 AM
Im sort of hooked on that mid-level piece, with the museum and other non-repetitious program stuff.

The diagonal as an experience is going to be fun......

Deisgn..no, not 60s..think 20s, Russian Constructivism. This was the kind of out-on-the edge thing those old Constructivists where doing.

Visiteur
Mar 14, 2007, 4:05 AM
I do not like the design, and am disappointed by its approval. Of course, we are each entitled to our own opinions. May this thing turn out better in person than in daytime renderings (the nighttime do make the building look better).

cactus22minus1
Mar 14, 2007, 9:37 PM
I didn't see the website mentioned, unless I missed it in the old thread-

http://www.museumplaza.net/

It's very well done IMO steering away a bit from the tired variety you see for every single other development. Also they show some renders and models I hadn't seen before. :)

Steely Dan
Mar 14, 2007, 9:45 PM
it's so wacky and "out there" that you have to love it. it's very cool to hear it's been approved. now build it, and they will come.

Plasticman
Mar 16, 2007, 4:00 PM
Glad you guys are getting some height but I still say it looks like an offshore oil rig dragged up on the bank.

It will stand out...gotta give it that.

Stephenapolis
Mar 16, 2007, 6:36 PM

http://www.detroithomesguide.com/img/detroit-skyline.jpg

This comparison shows why I do not like this project. The funky design is cool, but it looks as if it will be too disconnected from the rest of the dt.

Steely Dan
Mar 16, 2007, 6:53 PM
This comparison shows why I do not like this project. The funky design is cool, but it looks as if it will be too disconnected from the rest of the dt.

but that's nothing that a few new infill towers down the road can't resolve. it may look a tad disconnected now, but who knows what the future holds for the development of louisville's skyline. hopefully this radical new development will help loiuisville catch some new attention and possibly even central city growth that will help spur new infill towers. it could all just be part of a self-fulfilling prophecy. build it, and they will come.

Magnus1
Mar 16, 2007, 11:51 PM
now that is a nice looking scraper!

Halovet
Mar 18, 2007, 7:52 AM
Oh no, not the Detroit comparisons again. I'm not even going there...I'm feelin it too Man! It's gona look like De~twa'!:shrug: :notacrook:

kznyc2k
Mar 18, 2007, 5:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/m4.jpg

?
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3848/380853no5.jpg

I know that high-modernism has been back in fashion lately, but do we really need to revisit the Cor-Ten steel days of the late '60s?

(my example is the Main Place Tower in Buffalo)

Thefigman
Mar 19, 2007, 12:40 AM
I can understand the comparisons to D-Town, but I think cities like Louisville and Nashville are both taking visionary steps with developing new iconic skyscrapers.

Only time will tell if they pan out, but I don't think they can be faulted for trying to stir up a little density in their downtown areas.

Jeff_in_Dayton
Mar 19, 2007, 12:49 AM
I am disappointed with that ground floor plaza

Having been to Detroit last weekend and seein Renn Center, there is not comparison in the siting of this with the Renn Center...really these are quire different site issues being worked here.

Mr Roboto
Mar 19, 2007, 1:42 AM
I was just in Louisville, a great city. Had a lot of fun walking around downtown, visiting the muhammad ali museum, and walking along the river. I have a hard time really picturing this building at that location, but I hope it gets built. I agree with people that think it would be a great new icon for louisville. Its a risky design, but I think the average people would grow to like it.

Plasticman
Mar 19, 2007, 3:51 PM
but that's nothing that a few new infill towers down the road can't resolve. it may look a tad disconnected now, but who knows what the future holds for the development of louisville's skyline. hopefully this radical new development will help loiuisville catch some new attention and possibly even central city growth that will help spur new infill towers. it could all just be part of a self-fulfilling prophecy. build it, and they will come.

I don't know of any true highrises planned for Louiseville other than MP. Has anyone else heard of any? I'm talking skyline altering, at least 20 floors. Louisville should try to attract a building at least in the 400+ range to infill that area.

ppassafi
Mar 19, 2007, 10:14 PM

Mind you, this scraper is only 2 blocks west of another 30 story architectual wonder, the Humana Building. The angle of that shot will be seen by virtually no one except those visiting the Falls of the Ohio museum in Clarksville, IN. What I REALLY want to see is the view motorists will have as they cross I-65 bridge into KY. Since that bridge is further east, it will "rotate" the perspective drastically from those pics. Therefore, Museum Plaza should essentially look flush with the Humana building. Also, the view from I-64 will be amazing too.

I am also concered about the view of the building from the street, and I think it will be awesome from Main street and 7th street. And that is all that matters, not that hocus pocus river view from a secluded park in Indiana that no one ever goes to anyways!!!

Vertigo
Mar 20, 2007, 2:02 PM
I am disappointed with that ground floor plaza

I think a lot of the outdoor schematics are somewhat vague at this point. I know they hired a top notch landscape designer from Europe to handle the outdoor spaces. So far I haven't been disappointed in the building concepts as they have evolved on this project. I'm sure those outdoor plans will be some of the last to receive the final tweaking.

As for the whole uneven skyline debate, trust me people, this angle (and others like it) will more than make up for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/cd718fc7.jpg

I 64 is located just to the right of this photo and Museum Plaza would be right in the middle and in the front. And unlike Ren. Center, the building's footprint is smaller so it wouldn't block the whole skyline out. Instead, it would appear that the freeway is going to run right through the middle of it. And it almost will. This will make this stretch of highway one of the most impressive entrances into any city Louisville's size.

Most freeway systems bypass downtowns (Nashville) or become lost under a series of overpasses and below grade ditches as they move through a city's core (Cincinnati riverfront). Essentially, they become segregated from the city. Not in this case. I 64 will pass so close to MP that will almost seem as though you could reach out and touch it. It will appear different from Main Street. It gives the building two very distinct faces.

With the exception of the Belvedere, I 64 will remain open and exposed the entire time offering an up close view of fantastic architecture (including MP, the new arena, and bridge) and the river.

Ironic considering most people consider I 64 to be the greatest mistake every made in Louisville's downtown planning.

Like the old saying goes, When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.

BnaBreaker
Mar 20, 2007, 7:00 PM
I think a lot of the outdoor schematics are somewhat vague at this point. I know they hired a top notch landscape designer from Europe to handle the outdoor spaces. So far I haven't been disappointed in the building concepts as they have evolved on this project. I'm sure those outdoor plans will be some of the last to receive the final tweaking.

As for the whole uneven skyline debate, trust me people, this angle (and others like it) will more than make up for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ver2go/cd718fc7.jpg

I 64 is located just to the right of this photo and Museum Plaza would be right in the middle and in the front. And unlike Ren. Center, the building's footprint is smaller so it wouldn't block the whole skyline out. Instead, it would appear that the freeway is going to run right through the middle of it. And it almost will. This will make this stretch of highway one of the most impressive entrances into any city Louisville's size.

Most freeway systems bypass downtowns (Nashville) or become lost under a series of overpasses and below grade ditches as they move through a city's core (Cincinnati riverfront). Essentially, they become segregated from the city. Not in this case. I 64 will pass so close to MP that will almost seem as though you could reach out and touch it. It will appear different from Main Street. It gives the building two very distinct faces.

With the exception of the Belvedere, I 64 will remain open and exposed the entire time offering an up close view of fantastic architecture (including MP, the new arena, and bridge) and the river.

Ironic considering most people consider I 64 to be the greatest mistake every made in Louisville's downtown planning.

Like the old saying goes, When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.

I agree that I-64 is an incredible entry into Louisville, but I disagree in that I think it is a bad thing, overall, to have an expressway cut right through the center of town.

CGII
Mar 20, 2007, 7:31 PM
Yeah, mate, urban expressways aren't anything to brag about.

This project will certainly be exciting, though.

Vertigo
Mar 20, 2007, 8:45 PM
I agree that I-64 is an incredible entry into Louisville, but I disagree in that I think it is a bad thing, overall, to have an expressway cut right through the center of town.

Cutting through the city isn't the problem. Cutting the river off from the city is. That was the mistake that was made when the route was chosen back in the 60's. That's why this project (along with Waterfront Park the others mentioned) is an example of making the best of a bad situation.

Jeff_in_Dayton
Mar 20, 2007, 8:57 PM
Its a risky design, but I think the average people would grow to like it.

People havn't picked up on this but there is a sort of populist angle here in that the funky design and that angled tramway to the museum level will probably be a big draw, as will that see-through floor, which is going to be something people will talk about after it opens and they ride up into it.

The avearage Joe will come for the ride and the ability to look out across the city from the muesum.

Vertigo
Mar 20, 2007, 9:18 PM
The funny thing is a lot of people on these boards have blasted the diagonal elevator concept. I think that's the element that will push this over the top and make it something that visitors will want to tell everyone about. Although it's by no means a gimmick. This museum will pack a punch of it's own with the permanent and temporary exhibits in the works.

The experience of entering through turn of the century buildings and then being whisked up through a futuristic elevator to a contemporary art museum will be a wicked time warp adventure.

secondson
Mar 21, 2007, 1:30 AM
I hate the design. Absolutely detest it. It's butt ugly. Nevertheless, it's got some decent height involved, and in that respect it's nice to see there are some progressive thinkers in Louisville. Need to send some of them up to Cincinnati. This town desperately needs a new tallest.

alleystreetindustry
Mar 21, 2007, 1:45 AM
a very risky and akward looking of a building that is of a bold design. im glad to see some architect out there that has the balls to experiment.

wrendog
Mar 21, 2007, 2:25 AM
hideous and congrats.

maudibjr
Mar 21, 2007, 4:24 AM
The nighttime rendering is almost tolerable

NYC2ATX
Mar 21, 2007, 1:07 PM
a very risky and akward looking of a building that is of a bold design. im glad to see some architect out there that has the balls to experiment.

This may be more of a stupid or obvious question than I realize, but who is the architect?

bw87a
Mar 23, 2007, 6:39 PM
I hate the design. Absolutely detest it. It's butt ugly. Nevertheless, it's got some decent height involved, and in that respect it's nice to see there are some progressive thinkers in Louisville. Need to send some of them up to Cincinnati. This town desperately needs a new tallest.

cincinnati needs to control their crime rates and keep from losing to northern kentucky and their ohio suburbs first...

secondson
Mar 27, 2007, 5:08 AM
cincinnati needs to control their crime rates and keep from losing to northern kentucky and their ohio suburbs first...

Perhaps what Cincinnati really should do is form a unified government with Hamilton County, the way Jefferson County did with Louisville. But I digress. Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with what you said, but this is a skyscraper-related forum, so I'm not going to comment about the myriad of issues facing the city. Suffice it to say I'm not a die-hard Cincinnati fan, despite my status as a native. Oh how I wish I could get away from this snail-paced town. :gaah:

Derek
Mar 27, 2007, 5:12 AM
This may be more of a stupid or obvious question than I realize, but who is the architect?

a 4 year old...oh man...its horrid...i dont know what you guys see in it:(

Plasticman
Mar 27, 2007, 3:59 PM

They see a new tallest and pretty much "have" to embrace it or risk not getting anything. The underlying tone being that they wish it hadn't been quite so weird but will take what they can get.

mudvayneimn
Mar 27, 2007, 11:23 PM
As a Louisvillian I can say at first I didn't really like it at all. Then the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Yeah, it is essentially a bunch of boxes stacked on top of each other, but I'd take that over those individual boxes being seperated any day. It distinguishes Louisville from other cities of the same size with similar skylines. With all the new development going on, I wouldn't count it on sticking out so much in the future.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8430/2010eh6.jpg
Over at skyscrapercity Eweezerinc posted this picture that he created that shows the new skyline with Museum Plaza, the arena, and the newly announced Iron quarter (buildings with green and red lights). Doesn't look too bad.:banana:

NYC2ATX
Mar 28, 2007, 1:46 AM

no really, come on, who's the architect? :shrug:

Plasticman
Mar 28, 2007, 2:20 AM
As a Louisvillian I can say at first I didn't really like it at all. Then the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Yeah, it is essentially a bunch of boxes stacked on top of each other, but I'd take that over those individual boxes being seperated any day. It distinguishes Louisville from other cities of the same size with similar skylines. With all the new development going on, I wouldn't count it on sticking out so much in the future.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8430/2010eh6.jpg
Over at skyscrapercity Eweezerinc posted this picture that he created that shows the new skyline with Museum Plaza, the arena, and the newly announced Iron quarter (buildings with green and red lights). Doesn't look too bad.:banana:

Maybe not too bad at night...but c'mon. You guys would take an ocean liner stood on its end if it meant a new tallest.

ppassafi
Mar 28, 2007, 5:42 AM
Maybe not too bad at night...but c'mon. You guys would take an ocean liner stood on its end if it meant a new tallest.

You are actually way off here. Louisville is an eccentric place, at least in the old city limits. One would have to really know the city's architecture to know why this building fits. There are some people here who hate it, but most of the progressives love it. The criticism this building is receiving is the same we saw for the Humana building and Kaden among others. Now, the community embraces different stuff like this. I personally love this building in any city with Louisville's skyline density or bigger. This same building would look great in Nashville, Jacksonville, OKC, or any similar sized city, plus mega cities like Chicago. I am glad we are getting it, because it will be unreal :) I must ask, have you been in a FREE sky museum in your city's tallest building? Have you ever ridden in a diagonal glass elevator? Didn't think so :notacrook:

Stu
Mar 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
no really, come on, who's the architect? :shrug:

Office for Metropolitan Architecture New York (Joshua Prince-Ramus)

Plasticman
Mar 28, 2007, 3:45 PM
You are actually way off here. Louisville is an eccentric place, at least in the old city limits. One would have to really know the city's architecture to know why this building fits. There are some people here who hate it, but most of the progressives love it. The criticism this building is receiving is the same we saw for the Humana building and Kaden among others. Now, the community embraces different stuff like this. I personally love this building in any city with Louisville's skyline density or bigger. This same building would look great in Nashville, Jacksonville, OKC, or any similar sized city, plus mega cities like Chicago. I am glad we are getting it, because it will be unreal :) I must ask, have you been in a FREE sky museum in your city's tallest building? Have you ever ridden in a diagonal glass elevator? Didn't think so :notacrook:

Nope. Never been in one. Probably would be a thrill. My point wasn't really on whether I like it or not. My opinion is totally irrelevant. My point is that I believe Louisville had this design thrust on them and that back in the beginning stages if the citizens themselves had some choices, they would not have picked that one. Now they/you are stuck with it and had better grow to love it. And it does look better at night.

I've seen Humana. My wife's aunt worked in that building for years until she retired. I don't know if she liked it or not. I'm not crazy about it.

I really like Aegon Tower. That one would look good out on our Buckhead skyline.

mudvayneimn
Mar 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
If it were up to the citizens of Louisville it might not have been chosen, that's why I'm glad us citizens really had no choice. Most of the time people don't know what the hell is good for them here. As an example, people think they should use the $1 million or so that goes towards Thunder Over Louisville (largest annual firework show in the USA) for charity, even though the event brings in over $31 million for the city. Projects like MP and events like Thunder will bring in the bucks that make it possible to help the less fortunate and make the city look better; which is why I still don't understand why Thunder isn't in the city's budget!;). To contradict my first sentence, I would like to say that I didn't hear too much of an uproar once the plans were announced and most of the people I know (who could care less about buildings) liked it and/or thought it was "interesting" and good for the city. This building reflects the city's artsy and unique atmosphere, if it was totally irrelevant and had no ties to the ways of the community I'm sure the public would have definately made it known.:yes:

Evergrey
Mar 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
tell me more about "Thunder Over Louisville"...

mudvayneimn
Mar 29, 2007, 6:32 PM
Full Show 1 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7406796681706082861)
Full Show 2 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7516760658708063599)
Full Show 3 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1134375864403220772)
Finale From 2004 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8242341062349275065)

You can see more (although not as good) on Youtube or whatever. It would be nice if the "island" was open during Thunder, that would definately be one awesome view!:yes:

bw87a
Mar 29, 2007, 7:23 PM

Hahaha thanks for this post. I love it too. I'm so excited that our city is getting it. As I mentioned in the Louisville Development Thread: it is a sterling example of form=function. It is a building that will house the largest contemporary art museum in Louisville. It will also house the Master's Program of art from the University of Louisville. So in other words, it's an architecturally defying building for a building built for art."

FOR ANY LOUISVILLE CITIZENS READING THIS:
Funny story: I've always detested Austin, Texas, for some reason. Maybe a little personal rival you could say. Anyways, I was kinda mad when I found out Austin's new tallest would be 1 meter taller than Museum Plaza at 214m (Austin's was 215m). I wrote a letter to the Museum Plaza representatives as well as Mayor Abramson informing them that we would be beat by a single meter to rival Austin. Walah...Museum Plaza announced expansion plans several months after that included an extra story!! Haha, so yes, credit ME! Ahh, I'm just kidding. It was very ironic that it happened however. GO LOUISVILLE!

ardecila
Apr 3, 2007, 12:31 AM
I was recently in Louisville over the weekend driving back from Florida. I stopped to check out the Slugger museum, which seems to be only a block or two east of the site for this tower.

Will it be on Main Street? The architecture there is amazing, even if some of the windows are just painted plywood....

holladay
Apr 3, 2007, 12:39 AM
Office for Metropolitan Architecture New York (Joshua Prince-Ramus)

Prince-Ramus recently split off from OMA and is taking the project on under his new firm, REX NY. For anyone who's wondering, Prince-Ramus was also responsible for the Seattle Library and the new campus center at Illinois Institute of Technology. Both buildings are proof that Museum Plaza is going to be highly inventive with materials and spaces.

Jeff_in_Dayton
Apr 3, 2007, 12:56 AM
....This building reflects the city's artsy and unique atmosphere....

Yes it does, and I think this is an important point outside observers miss, the genus loci in Louisville, and the urban culture there, has a very offbeat, open thing going on. I picked up on that even way back in the 1970s when I was living there, but its become stronger over time, or I notice it more having lived elsewhere.

Jeff_in_Dayton
Apr 3, 2007, 1:04 AM
Will it be on Main Street? The architecture there is amazing, even if some of the windows are just painted plywood

It will be between Main and the river. One of those old buildings on Main will be remodelled the entrance hall to the angled glass elevator (which in iteself is a funky way of getting up into the building).

Evergrey
Apr 3, 2007, 2:26 AM
Yes it does, and I think this is an important point outside observers miss, the genus loci in Louisville, and the urban culture there, has a very offbeat, open thing going on. I picked up on that even way back in the 1970s when I was living there, but its become stronger over time, or I notice it more having lived elsewhere.

Can you elaborate on this, Geoff_in_Dayton?

FOR ANY LOUISVILLE CITIZENS READING THIS:
Funny story: I've always detested Austin, Texas, for some reason. Maybe a little personal rival you could say. Anyways, I was kinda mad when I found out Austin's new tallest would be 1 meter taller than Museum Plaza at 214m (Austin's was 215m). I wrote a letter to the Museum Plaza representatives as well as Mayor Abramson informing them that we would be beat by a single meter to rival Austin. Walah...Museum Plaza announced expansion plans several months after that included an extra story!! Haha, so yes, credit ME! Ahh, I'm just kidding. It was very ironic that it happened however. GO LOUISVILLE!

:haha: :tup:

b-s
Apr 3, 2007, 6:45 AM
This project looks very cool. Louisville is an underrated city and deserves something like this. Louisville has too much class to have a sex toy as a building (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=121285), thank god.

Derek
Apr 3, 2007, 6:46 AM
^its not a sex toy, but it isnt classy IMO...it basically just screams attention at me...and not in a good way...

ppassafi
Apr 3, 2007, 8:44 AM
tell me more about "Thunder Over Louisville"...

Its the largest fireworks show in North America, yes larger than Macy's 4th of July in NYC. I believe it is second or third largest in the world, only behind a couple in Asia celebrating Chinese new year. Last year, they estimated 800,000 people attended. To give you an idea of the significance of this, the metro population of Louisville is only 1.3 million. The show lasts 30 minutes and costs 1 million to put on. As someone mentioned, however, it has a 31 million economic impact. So, you spend a dollar, you get 30 back. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The show is free to the public and may be viewed from KY or IN, or a downtown skyscraper if you are connected or have loot. The show will be broadcast in all HDTV this year. It will be seen worldwide on the USA troop network, and will be simulcast on several cable stations. I think CNN may do a delayed broadcast. www.thunderoverlouisville.org

Vertigo
Apr 3, 2007, 3:09 PM
^its not a sex toy, but it isnt classy IMO...it basically just screams attention at me...and not in a good way...

I think the 'sex toy' comment was referring to a project in Chicago..:)

And as for the attenion part, I think that's the one of the strengths of the project. Most skylines in the US (even some of the more impressive ones) have very little that identify them from the others. Not to belittle anything here but how many average people could tell the difference between the skylines of Tampa and San Diego?

With this project, Louisville will have a defining landmark building from which it can create a unique image around.

Do I think it will become as iconic as projects such as the arch in St. Louis? No

However, unlike projects such as that (or even the Space Needle), I think this tower opens the door for future projects in the city to follow the lead set by this building. From an architect's standpoint, Louisville is seen as a city that is open and accepting to new ideas and change.

And that is PRECISELY the image the developers were trying to convey in the first place.

Crawford
Apr 3, 2007, 3:16 PM
Prince-Ramus recently split off from OMA and is taking the project on under his new firm, REX NY. For anyone who's wondering, Prince-Ramus was also responsible for the Seattle Library and the new campus center at Illinois Institute of Technology. Both buildings are proof that Museum Plaza is going to be highly inventive with materials and spaces.

The Seattle Library and IIT are gorgeous. This proposal is a monstrosity.

secondson
Apr 3, 2007, 10:35 PM
Its the largest fireworks show in North America, yes larger than Macy's 4th of July in NYC. I believe it is second or third largest in the world, only behind a couple in Asia celebrating Chinese new year. Last year, they estimated 800,000 people attended. To give you an idea of the significance of this, the metro population of Louisville is only 1.3 million. The show lasts 30 minutes and costs 1 million to put on. As someone mentioned, however, it has a 31 million economic impact. So, you spend a dollar, you get 30 back. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The show is free to the public and may be viewed from KY or IN, or a downtown skyscraper if you are connected or have loot. The show will be broadcast in all HDTV this year. It will be seen worldwide on the USA troop network, and will be simulcast on several cable stations. I think CNN may do a delayed broadcast. www.thunderoverlouisville.org

Gee. And people in Cincinnati make a big deal over the Riverfest fireworks, which is puny in comparison. But then again, this is Cincinnati. People make a big deal about the littlest things here, making it sound like it is the best you can find anywhere.

<sigh> If only Cincinnati could see its full potential and do something big. This place depresses me. There really isn't anything around here to be proud of. Everytime we try to do a "grand" project, or even THINK about doing one, some other city in the region beats us to it and does something even better.

VivaLFuego
Apr 4, 2007, 12:32 AM
Pretty interesting....hope it gets built. It never hurts to get something unique and iconic (and a guarenteed conversation starter) to associate with your city. It's so far out there I don't think I could possibly make a 'judgement' until its built and I see it in person.

Jeff_in_Dayton
Apr 4, 2007, 2:48 AM
If only Cincinnati could see its full potential and do something big. This place depresses me. There really isn't anything around here to be proud of. Everytime we try to do a "grand" project, or even THINK about doing one, some other city in the region beats us to it and does something even better.

Golly..don't post that at Urban Ohio or people will eat you for lunch!

Evergrey
Apr 4, 2007, 3:07 AM
Gee. And people in Cincinnati make a big deal over the Riverfest fireworks, which is puny in comparison. But then again, this is Cincinnati. People make a big deal about the littlest things here, making it sound like it is the best you can find anywhere.

<sigh> If only Cincinnati could see its full potential and do something big. This place depresses me. There really isn't anything around here to be proud of. Everytime we try to do a "grand" project, or even THINK about doing one, some other city in the region beats us to it and does something even better.

what a sobering sentiment

mudvayneimn
Apr 5, 2007, 7:20 PM
Fletcher signs bill allowing improvements for Museum Plaza area
Fox41 News
Wednesday, April 4, 2007

With a stroke of a pen Wednesday, Governor Ernie Fletcher did the state's part to make Louisville's $460 million Museum Plaza a reality. Governor Fletcher signed a bill that will allow public land around the huge project to be improved so the skyscraper can be built.

Museum Plaza developers offered a deal that sounded too good to be true. They would build the $330 million multi-use project if the city would spend $130 millon for a floodwall, street improvements, and other infrastructure. But for a time it looked like state lawmakers would not accept the offer.

Steve Wilson, Museum Plaza Developer, said Wednesday, "This is a moment that my wife and I and our partners have dreamed of for almost two years now." That moment -- the signing of a bill giving tax breaks to help Museum Plaza get built -- almost didn't happen.

Developer Craig Greenburg explains, "We've invested approximately $14 million on this project, so far, and this legislation was critical to make this project reality."

Developers proposed using part of the room tax from a Museum Plaza hotel to help pay for public improvements around the development. Since room tax money is used to promote tourism, state tourism officials objected and a big fight broke out during the legislative session.

Governor Fletcher acknoledges, "This was one of the pieces of legislation that made it through kind of a controversial session." He and others credit a united front and hard work by local leaders and legislators for the approval of the tax breaks on the last day of the session.

Now attention can turn to actual construction. As Mayor Jerry Abramson puts it, "I just think they are just all concerned about how and which lanes we are going on close on which streets for all of this construction."

Museum Plaza's "front door" on Main Street has been preserved. Next up -- work by fall to move an LG&E tower and dig a foundation for the world class project which will bring offices and shops, condos, great art, and great interest to Louisville.

State Senator Julie Denton, a Louisville Republican, says, "I see this as changing the whole culture of Louisville. Putting a whole new face on our city. This changes things economically, culturally, educationally, as well as a tourist attraction and recreationally."

With Museum Plaza, a new arena, and a new retail complex all scheduled to open in 2010, Governor Fletcher is offering a new nickname for Main Street. He says Chicago has its Million Dollar Mile and New York has 5th Avenue and Louisville will soon have it's "Billion Dollar Block."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I like the name "Billion Dollar Block." :banana:

holladay
Apr 5, 2007, 7:52 PM

Just give it time, give it time. The difference between an architect like Prince-Ramus and most conventional architects is that his firm will continuously modify and add to the design as time goes on. These guys thrive on the process of invention, which is exactly what makes Seattle and IIT two very exciting buildings. The renderings you are seeing now of Museum Plaza don't elaborate on materials very clearly. Everything is still being sketched out and refined. These architects have proven their ability to follow through so I think it's highly premature to write the building off.

NYC2ATX
Apr 5, 2007, 9:13 PM

monstrosity might be a little strong my friend. I think what he meant by that was that seeing as the seattle library and IIT were designed by the same architect, this project is not a joke like most think, there's actually some thought behind it.

and it's pretty damn cool to boot.

NYC2ATX
Apr 5, 2007, 9:20 PM
He says Chicago has its Million Dollar Mile and New York has 5th Avenue and Louisville will soon have it's "Billion Dollar Block."

It's Magnificent Mile, loser

lol jk.......oh and 5th avenue? what about Broadway? doy

ok ill stop now. :haha:

mudvayneimn
Apr 5, 2007, 9:31 PM
Since that news story wasn't written by me, I'm gonna assume that "loser" isn't being directed towards me either...:rolleyes:

NYC2ATX
Apr 5, 2007, 9:41 PM
Since that news story wasn't written by me, I'm gonna assume that "loser" isn't being directed towards me either...:rolleyes:

of course not ;)

i love all my fellow forumers.

BnaBreaker
Apr 5, 2007, 10:30 PM
With Museum Plaza, a new arena, and a new retail complex all scheduled to open in 2010, Governor Fletcher is offering a new nickname for Main Street. He says Chicago has its Million Dollar Mile and New York has 5th Avenue and Louisville will soon have it's "Billion Dollar Block."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh yes, i'm sure it will be just like 5th Avenue. lol

NYC2ATX
Apr 5, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ahh yes, i'm sure it will be just like 5th Avenue. lol

awww come on, he's the governor of Kentucky. Let the man dream. :haha:

bw87a
Apr 6, 2007, 8:43 PM
poor governor ernie fletcher. he's had his share of moments i'm sure he'd like to forget. like flying over the no-fly zone and evacuating half of DC...

Mr Roboto
Apr 6, 2007, 8:49 PM
Is he trying to infer that Main Street is going to be worth a thousand Magnificant Miles, since a billion is a thousand millions? Sounds like a funny guy.

mudvayneimn
Apr 6, 2007, 9:06 PM
Oh my God people, let him dream in peace.:notacrook:

bw87a
Apr 7, 2007, 8:02 PM
i dunno what he means. kentucky and louisville in general is just really happy about their rebirth downtown. i am happy too, so i guess we'll let them dream.

Sacto
Apr 8, 2007, 11:40 PM
Very nice, I like it.

eweezerinc
Apr 10, 2007, 4:32 AM
Man, I need to get off of SSC and come over here more. Not enough love on The 'Page.. soo.. many.. haters.. Ouch. It hurts guys.

http://www.auralab.com/galerie01/OMA-L02.jpg

Derek
Apr 10, 2007, 4:53 AM
oh dont worry, im a hater of this building :yuck:

mudvayneimn
Apr 10, 2007, 4:59 AM
I know eweezerinc! I guess the majority of people that really understand this building happen to be from around the area. If the "haters" were residents of Louisville, they'd understand how it works for the city. It just grows on ya if you're from these parts.:P

holladay
Apr 10, 2007, 5:02 AM
:previous: That is an awesome rendering. OMA is really clever. Louisville - you're a bunch of lucky s.o.b.'s! :cheers:

ppassafi
Apr 10, 2007, 12:00 PM
It's Magnificent Mile, loser

lol jk.......oh and 5th avenue? what about Broadway? doy

ok ill stop now. :haha:

lol that was a pretty funny statement by the governor, but lets think about it. Louisville could strive to be an average Midwestern city like Indianapolis, or an average southern city like Memphis. Or...it could use the worlds premiere urban areas as models of what we can do here on a smaller scale. Somehow, the pysche has change in Louisville and that is what we are trying to do. Still, many locals don't believe we can do it, and still others leave saying Louisville will never change. We'll never have Chicago here in KY, and that's fine by me, but isn't ok to emulate it a bit? I think with our billions of dollars worth of riverfront development we are making a great inroads to becoming a cultural capitol for the region, and that should be the goal of every city, not medicority! :yes:

Vertigo
Apr 10, 2007, 5:05 PM
Once again with this project, comments were taken out of context (just like the Eiffel Tower comparison early on). Obviously, no one in Ky (including the governer) expects this to rival Chicago or New York in terms of cultural clout. The comparison was made simply because those are areas that have a 'brand name' recognition to people from other areas. It would be nice to apply the same concept in Louisville to make it sound more like a destination instead of just 'West Main'.

eweezerinc
Apr 10, 2007, 11:56 PM
How things might look with the gap filled in:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/WeezerChips/Skyline18.jpg

mikeR
Apr 11, 2007, 12:46 AM
what is the building in the gap?

cabasse
Apr 11, 2007, 1:48 AM
haha, you stole symphony tower from atlanta to fill that in with. symphony is only 100 feet or so shorter than museum plaza, in actuality though.

i love this building though - it's beyond edgy. it's just what louisville needs to help set it apart even more from the rest of the pack of adjacent cities.

NYC2ATX
Apr 11, 2007, 1:56 AM
lol that was a pretty funny statement by the governor, but lets think about it. Louisville could strive to be an average Midwestern city like Indianapolis, or an average southern city like Memphis. Or...it could use the worlds premiere urban areas as models of what we can do here on a smaller scale. Somehow, the pysche has change in Louisville and that is what we are trying to do. Still, many locals don't believe we can do it, and still others leave saying Louisville will never change. We'll never have Chicago here in KY, and that's fine by me, but isn't ok to emulate it a bit? I think with our billions of dollars worth of riverfront development we are making a great inroads to becoming a cultural capitol for the region, and that should be the goal of every city, not medicority! :yes:

no your absolutely right, i admire louisville for trying to be something more than your average smaller american city. go for it louisville. I think if this were built i might make a point to visit one day.

honestly i was just correcting his "million dollar mile" comment. ;)

NYC2ATX
Apr 11, 2007, 1:58 AM
How things might look with the gap filled in:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n127/WeezerChips/Skyline18.jpg

i'm picturing it without 1180 stitched in, and i still say that's hot! :cool:

texcolo
Apr 11, 2007, 4:44 AM
:notacrook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpZLOrijW8

It's kinda growing on me.

loupremo
Apr 11, 2007, 6:42 AM
I like it. has anyone seen this model video? here it is on youtube..this is the updated model
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zaoya3Yvd6c&mode=related&search=

eweezerinc
Apr 11, 2007, 5:34 PM
haha, you stole symphony tower from atlanta to fill that in with. symphony is only 100 feet or so shorter than museum plaza, in actuality though.

i love this building though - it's beyond edgy. it's just what louisville needs to help set it apart even more from the rest of the pack of adjacent cities.
Hah, yeah, I thought about that, but decided that the parking lots that potentially would be the site of such a building are 2+ blocks away, so I stopped worrying about scale and told myself it was 6 blocks away. :D

cactus22minus1
Apr 11, 2007, 8:29 PM
The video is brilliant. Anyone remotely interested should check it out as it shows the basic conceptualization of the massing and live motion views of museum plaza inserted from various angles througout the city. Very creative. :)

HomeInMyShoes
Apr 11, 2007, 9:10 PM
:notacrook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpZLOrijW8

It's kinda growing on me.

Thanks for the video link. It was a really good presentation on the concepts and it's growing on me a bit too.

Except for that part near the end when they did the night time-lapse woutine and all the buildings were reflecting into the water except for Museum Plaza. It was spooky, kind of like the kid with no soul.

NYC2ATX
Apr 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
that's an incredible video, almost surreal.

I had no idea that Louisville had such charming streetscapes. What an undiscovered gem this town is.

loupremo
Apr 12, 2007, 12:08 AM
i found another video of the model
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M4-Oyt66Z2o&mode=related&search=