PDA

View Full Version : Why the huge disparity in price range for the Canon EOS 5D?

Tosspot
Mar 10, 2007, 10:49 PM
I've scoured the Internet looking at prices on the Canon EOS 5D digital SLR, and I've seen prices range anywhere from $850 to over $2500 for just the body-only version! Why is this? How can there be such a huge price range on this model of camera?

I'm thinking of snapping up an extra 5D from one of the el-cheapo websites and selling it on EBAY -- and if that doesn't work I'll just send it back and get a refund.

Also, does anyone know if the Canon EOS 5D is due for a replacement? Should I hold off on purchasing it, or should I take the plunge? And, as I asked earlier, how can there be such a huge disparate range in pricing for the identical camera?

Flash
Mar 11, 2007, 12:58 AM
If you see a 5D for $800, don't buy it, period. It's most likely a bate and switch/defective/stolen, something to that effect.

Search for the store ratings (ie. resellerratings.com) on places that sell high ticket items for that low (like Express Cameras, etc.) and I'm sure you'll see horror stories. Stick with reputable sellers like B&H.

I haven't kept up on the rumors, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 5D replacement comes sometime soon. Whatever its upgrades would inch it closer to the 1Ds Mark II, though, so they may bump that up first.

What camera do you have now? Remember that the 5D is full frame and does not accept the EF-S lenses. Depending on your current camera, a more worthwhile upgrade would be higher quality lenses.

FYI, I've had a 5D since October of 2005 and its been great.

Tosspot
Mar 11, 2007, 3:16 AM
If you see a 5D for $800, don't buy it, period. It's most likely a bate and switch/defective/stolen, something to that effect.

Search for the store ratings (ie. resellerratings.com) on places that sell high ticket items for that low (like Express Cameras, etc.) and I'm sure you'll see horror stories. Stick with reputable sellers like B&H.

I haven't kept up on the rumors, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 5D replacement comes sometime soon. Whatever its upgrades would inch it closer to the 1Ds Mark II, though, so they may bump that up first.

What camera do you have now? Remember that the 5D is full frame and does not accept the EF-S lenses. Depending on your current camera, a more worthwhile upgrade would be higher quality lenses.

FYI, I've had a 5D since October of 2006 and its been great.

You're right on... it was indeed that scam site expresscameras.com that I was looking at (and a couple others pulling similar stunts)...I stumbled on to resellerratings.com and saw there was like 29 pages of horror stories about expresscamera.com alone, so I backed away.

My current camera is the 8.0 megapixel Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (bought new December 2005), and up to now I've been using the basic 18-55mm kit lens, but I decided to order Canon's 17-85mm to replace it. So I guess I'll just stick with my trusty Rebel and enjoy its new lens. Thanks for the advice Flash.