PDA

View Full Version : 801 Barton Springs | 106 FEET | 9 FLOORS | Complete

Pages : [1] 2

KevinFromTexas
Mar 9, 2007, 12:03 PM
A developer is planning a 14-story condo tower on Barton Springs Road, at the former site of the Filling Station diner.

Click on the link below to see the map.

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/realestate/03/09//9fillingstation.html

REAL ESTATE
[b]Developers want to build 14-story project on Filling Station site
Bouldin Creek neighbors oppose request for height variance.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, March 09, 2007

A landmark restaurant on Barton Springs Road where burgers and brews were once served could be replaced by a 14-story building with diners, office workers and condo dwellers.

The project, planned at the site of the former Filling Station restaurant, has stirred opposition from some nearby Bouldin Creek neighborhood residents who say it will be too tall for the area. The prime real estate near Town Lake and Zilker Park has attracted developers' interest since the restaurant closed in 2004.

Texas American Resources Co., an Austin-based energy company, bought the site last summer. The company wants to raze the restaurant and start construction late this year on a mid-rise building with stepped height. But it would need a variance to build up to 180 feet on the tallest part closest to Barton Springs Road, said James Cormier, consultant and project manager.

Current zoning caps height on the site at 60 feet.

-------------------------------------------

Again, to the NIMBYS, (Not-in-my-backyard/folks who are opposed to it), who might be reading this: there are other buildings in the area of comparable height. One Texas Center, a 15-story office building at 505 Barton Springs Road, just a quarter mile east, (1,169 feet away), is also 180 feet tall. And the Hyatt Regency Town Lake which is at 208 Barton Springs Road, is 1,883 feet away and is 182 feet tall. Also the site is extremely narrow. The widest the building could possibly be is probably in the area of 90 to 100 feet wide. Not much, only about the width of a downtown street. Also, the article mentions the site is flanked by two other fairly tall buildings, (both of which are taller than the 60 foot height limit for the area) - those two buildings are each less than 60 feet away from this building, basically the width of a three lane street.

KevinFromTexas
Mar 9, 2007, 12:21 PM
I really wish that the City of Austin would have some kind of public webpage on their official website showing the heights of all existing buildings AND everything that is under construction and planned. Show everything, with a name, an address, a single photo, (or a few to show it for reference), number of floors and most importantly, the building's height. This way people can get an idea of how tall existing buildings are in an area so that when a new project comes along they have something to compare them to. The above article I just posted quotes area residents and they sound as though they don't know a thing about the heights of the existing buildings in that area. If they had something to go on, as in a list of existing buildings with their heights listed, so they could know what to expect, then maybe they wouldn't be so opposed to new projects coming along. This building will be very skinny, and not all that tall. The Hyatt and One Texas Center are both much larger buildings than this one could be. This post is a challenge to any city officials reading this. If you set up something where buildings could be listed with their info, I would be more than happy to be the one to add the data. In the chance that someone is reading this with connections, please drop me a line. PM here on the forum or email me at kevinfromtx@hotmail.com, I'd love to help.

JAM
Mar 9, 2007, 3:09 PM
Doesn't sound like this project does much for increasing the density of the downtown area - 24 units. The rest would be used as office space.

I'm wondering if Barton Springs could have potential for being a shopping destination, like So Co. It already has the food aspect, a park nearby, all it needs is some nice stores to shop and big sidewalks. That would be a nice mixed use project that maybe the residents of Bouldin Creek Neighborhood Association could go for.

GoldenBoot
Mar 9, 2007, 3:14 PM
How far away would the actual tower be from the nearest residential (i.e. SF-2) lotline? I believe that if it's less than 540', it would trigger a compatibility standard issue - meaning that not only will the developers need a variance on the height, but they would also have to receive CS waiver from the BOA (Board of Adjustment) as well. An uphill battle!!!

M1EK
Mar 9, 2007, 3:16 PM
Yeah, this one's not going to happen - with those neighborhoods as riled up as they are now, the city's gonna throw 'em a bone.

Mopacs
Mar 9, 2007, 3:42 PM
I really wish that the City of Austin would have some kind of public webpage on their official website showing the heights of all existing buildings AND everything that is under construction and planned. Show everything, with a name, an address, a single photo, (or a few to show it for reference), number of floors and most importantly, the building's height. This way people can get an idea of how tall existing buildings are in an area so that when a new project comes along they have something to compare them to. The above article I just posted quotes area residents and they sound as though they don't know a thing about the heights of the existing buildings in that area. If they had something to go on, as in a list of existing buildings with their heights listed, so they could know what to expect, then maybe they wouldn't be so opposed to new projects coming along. This building will be very skinny, and not all that tall. The Hyatt and One Texas Center are both much larger buildings than this one could be. This post is a challenge to any city officials reading this. If you set up something where buildings could be listed with their info, I would be more than happy to be the one to add the data. In the chance that someone is reading this with connections, please drop me a line. PM here on the forum or email me at kevinfromtx@hotmail.com, I'd love to help.

Very good idea... I'd support your efforts wholeheartedly. Though I get the impression the neighboring HOA's could care less about the facts, and would spin it in any way they could. But for proponents, at least there would come the availability of supporting documentation, to counteract their "lego model" "scare tactics"!

As for this project, I like it. Barton Springs is primarily a commercial corridor (east of Zilker), so I have no problem with the presence of office uses as well.

Chicago3rd
Mar 9, 2007, 6:48 PM
They took up park land for that huge garage (in my day in Austin we would have shot those folks) across the street and are moaning about this? That lot is between 2 buildings already. It wouldn't harm a fly. No problem building high along Barton Springs if it isn't in the Park. It would be nice.

MichaelB
Mar 9, 2007, 7:27 PM
They took up park land for that huge garage (in my day in Austin we would have shot those folks) across the street and are moaning about this? That lot is between 2 buildings already. It wouldn't harm a fly. No problem building high along Barton Springs if it isn't in the Park. It would be nice.

Actually I belive they replace hugh suface parking lots with garages to make the Long center viable. But I agree.... that building is not a problem.

Chicago3rd
Mar 9, 2007, 9:27 PM
Actually I belive they replace hugh suface parking lots with garages to make the Long center viable. But I agree.... that building is not a problem.

Don't worry Chicago is eating at its parkspace too. It would be sweet to imagine a nice medium high wall of buildings lining the park...they would have great views of the city river and park and look nice from the park.

rad707
Mar 9, 2007, 10:05 PM
There is SF3 directly behind this proposed building, but the neighborhood (in building their neighborhood plan) conceeded that some density needed to be built along corridors. That's why they opted for 60', and to M1EK's point, keeping it at 60' is probably what council will agree upon.

JAM
Mar 9, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'm guessing they thought they could get a return on their office space investment by building higher and selling the top half. Also guessing employees will have 1st shot at the condos.

M1EK
Mar 9, 2007, 10:58 PM
There is SF3 directly behind this proposed building, but the neighborhood (in building their neighborhood plan) conceeded that some density needed to be built along corridors. That's why they opted for 60', and to M1EK's point, keeping it at 60' is probably what council will agree upon.

Well, I don't want to leave anybody with the impression I think the neighbors are being reasonable - calling 60' at the bottom of a big hill on a major road this close to downtown 'dense' isn't something I'd do. Same thing as OWANA opposing VMU on Lamar - the fact that it's at the bottom of a big hill should logically lead to more height than that without affecting neighbors.

However, I think City Council has gone against the wishes of neighborhoods enough lately that they'll be looking for truly arguable cases like this one to win back their bona-fides with ANC voters.

JAM
Mar 12, 2007, 10:39 PM
I really wish that the City of Austin would have some kind of public webpage on their official website showing the heights of all existing buildings AND everything that is under construction and planned.

Happened to run across this today. I know its not what your looking for, but thought I would share the find in case you hadn't already found it. Maybe there is something else similar for other projects.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growth/default.htm

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growth/gwmfam.htm

KevinFromTexas
Feb 26, 2013, 7:17 AM
http://www.statesman.com/news/business/barton-springs-road-office-building-faces-opposi-1/nRWhF/

Updated: 10:19 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011 | Posted: 10:00 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011
Barton Springs Road office building faces opposition as it heads to council vote

Though proposed height has shrunk from 14 to 8 stories, neighbors say it is still too tall for area.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

A City Council vote is scheduled today on a proposed $15.5 million, eight-story office building on Barton Springs Road. The project has drawn opponents who say approving special zoning for the project would set a harmful precedent for development along Barton Springs, Lady Bird Lake and nearby neighborhoods, but at least two council members say they are inclined to support it.

The project, called the Park, would be on the site of the former Filling Station restaurant, at 801 Barton Springs Road, which was torn down a few years ago. Food trailers now occupy part of the lot, which is less than an acre.

Texas American Resources is proposing a 96-foot-high building that would include its headquarters, a ground-floor restaurant and a parking garage that would include spaces for people attending events at the Palmer Events Center, the Long Center for the Performing Arts and the Austin Lyric Opera, said Steve Drenner, the lawyer for the Austin-based energy company.

-

http://www.statesman.com/news/business/council-approves-taller-office-project-on-barton-1/nRWjY/

Updated: 10:38 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011 | Posted: 10:37 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011
Council approves taller office project on Barton Springs Road

Six members say the high-quality design and public amenities offered deserve special zoning.

By Barry Harrell and Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saying the benefits trumped opponents' concerns, the Austin City Council on Thursday said yes to a Barton Springs Road office building that will be 36 feet taller than allowed by regular zoning rules.

The 6-1 vote to preliminarily approve special zoning — Council Member Laura Morrison was the only dissenter — came after nearly two hours of discussion, including sometimes emotional pleas from residents who said the $15.5 million, eight-story development is too high and will set a bad precedent for development in the area near Barton Springs and Lady Bird Lake.

But other council members said the benefits of the project — including developer-provided public amenities and a high-quality design — merited approval.

The project, to be known as the Park, will be the headquarters of Texas American Resources. The location at 801 Barton Springs Road — slightly less than an acre — is the site of the former Filling Station restaurant. It is across the street from the Palmer Events Center and the Long Center for the Performing Arts and is now occupied by food trailers.

KevinFromTexas
Feb 26, 2013, 7:48 AM
wwmiv was asking about this project in the Taco Cabana redevelopment thread.

These are all the renderings I have of this project.

Originally it was proposed as a 180 foot 14-story building. I gotta say, I'm disappointed this one wasn't approved at that height and that it hasn't started yet. The design is totally different from anything we've seen in Austin. I guess the W would be the nearest thing.

http://i.imgur.com/UB6WZRF.jpg

I think this was the 120 foot design they were compromising with. They got approval for 96 feet. I know that things like mechanical penthouses are exempt from zoning approvals unless they will interfere with a CVC. I think the design would have ended up around 110 feet or so.

http://i.imgur.com/4CuNxqE.jpg

This would have been the 96 foot design.
http://i.imgur.com/GdlocWC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kCEQRJW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GXtUxdw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n12HVFz.jpg

LoneStarMike
Jun 27, 2014, 6:01 AM
From this week's Austin Chronicle:

Then There's This: Density in the Floodplain
Ignoring staff warnings, Council approves variance for office tower
By Amy Smith, Fri., June 27, 2014 (http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2014-06-27/then-theres-this-density-in-the-floodplain/)

MichaelB
Jun 27, 2014, 4:08 PM
I recently walked the neighborhood behind that site.
I don't have a problem with the builidng being built or the height.
( yes they need to build midful of the flood plane )
However, what I do hope the city has done is make them be aware of Chiller placement and the VERY loud noise polution that invades the neighborhood behind.
I was surprised by how loud it was.
Not good neighbors.
That's why you get NA's all up in your grill. And they deserve it for the lack of consideration.

austlar1
Jun 27, 2014, 6:11 PM
I was at the endless city council meeting that debated this issue because they were also considering matters concerning Austin Pets Alive. The flood issue is absurd. The Austin Energy building next door and the mid-rise flanking the other side of the property also lack a safe exit to the street in the event of a 100 year flood event, but they do have rear exits that access high ground. This means that in the event of a high water situation, folks would have to remain in the proposed building until the water subsides unless they were able to access the mid-rise structures on either side. There is talk of building a walkway from the new building to the Austin Energy building, but it is not in the plans at present. Emergency vehicles would likely be able to reach the properties in question because they have raised clearance. It seemed obvious to me that the real source of opposition for this project was coming from the folks who live up in the neighborhood (Bouldin) directly above the proposed project. They don't want it built. They had the flood control guy in their pocket, or so it seemed. Right now, the food trailers occupying the parcel would be swept away in the event of that fabled 100 year flood incident. Leffingwell clearly enjoyed making that point. At least with this project, folks could stay on an upper floor for the short period of time before flood water subsided. The council debated this thing endlessly and then did what everybody knew they were going to do in the first place. The usual suspects voted against the project. I am glad this thing got the green light.

urbancore
Nov 17, 2015, 8:30 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/real-estate/2015/11/barton-springs-site-slated-for-snazzy-office-tower.html

drummer
Nov 17, 2015, 11:07 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/real-estate/2015/11/barton-springs-site-slated-for-snazzy-office-tower.html

I've always wondered when something would go up there. Not my favorite building, but it adds office space.

futures
Nov 18, 2015, 12:37 AM
I'm excited to see this. I live in the area and frequent the food trucks on the site, but I'm glad to see it finally developed.

I'm impressed with the design. Much more stylish than you'd see out of most mid-rises in Austin.

Tech House
Nov 18, 2015, 12:59 AM
I'll continue to revel in my philistine tastes and preferences --- I hate it. Can't even begin to see how anyone would find this attractive, other than if it happens to match up to whatever is passing for "contemporary design" these days. This is a style that can't possibly wear well over time, regardless of how it's received in the context of the moment. :yuck:

the Genral
Nov 18, 2015, 1:20 AM
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b549/johngenerali/Screenshot_2015-11-17-19-11-41-1_zpsxwvllisj.png (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/johngenerali/media/Screenshot_2015-11-17-19-11-41-1_zpsxwvllisj.png.html)
From that bizjournal article

If the Zach Theater and the Independent had a baby...

Oh, and I see the employee of the month gets to park in the lobby!

austlar1
Nov 18, 2015, 1:25 AM
This is the project that got a variance last year from city council in spite of the fact that it will be built in a 100 year (?) flood plain and will not have a safe way to evacuate the building in the event there is high water. I have been wondering what happened to this project. I happened to be at a city council meeting the night this thing got approved.

clubtokyo
Nov 18, 2015, 1:28 AM
I'll continue to revel in my philistine tastes and preferences --- I hate it. Can't even begin to see how anyone would find this attractive, other than if it happens to match up to whatever is passing for "contemporary design" these days. This is a style that can't possibly wear well over time, regardless of how it's received in the context of the moment. :yuck:

Austin people crack me up, could someone please show me an example of an amazing small to midsize office tower in a city comparable to austins size? Just curious of what exactly the standard is supposed to be......

The ATX
Nov 18, 2015, 1:46 AM
The solid gray blank wall in the middle of the building does it for me. I also like how the office levels seem to be slipping off the podium.

Not. Gross.

Urbannizer
Nov 18, 2015, 11:07 PM

http://www.801bartonsprings.com/

Brochure:

http://www.801bartonsprings.com/801BartonSprings.pdf?1447865943

austlar1
Nov 18, 2015, 11:14 PM

http://www.801bartonsprings.com/

Brochure:

http://www.801bartonsprings.com/801BartonSprings.pdf?1447865943

What a bunch of hot air to describe a really quite unimportant little office building development. Will a video like this really attract tenants or appease neighbors up on the hill who don't want the thing built but have already lost that battle with the city council?

the Genral
Nov 18, 2015, 11:59 PM
I thought it was a well done marketing video that if you take away all the 801 Barton Springs references, it would work well with any office building dowtown, especially south of Sixth St. Its definately different from the surrounding buildings so it will stand out. Maybe if the top section was a lighter color...not the Van Zandt color they chose in the render, I could live with a brass color, maybe. Overall, given the location, I have to say this design is a big long turd that resembles a self storage building.

H2O
Nov 19, 2015, 12:25 PM
I thought it was a well done marketing video that if you take away all the 801 Barton Springs references, it would work well with any office building dowtown, especially south of Sixth St. Its definately different from the surrounding buildings so it will stand out. Maybe if the top section was a lighter color...not the Van Zandt color they chose in the render, I could live with a brass color, maybe. Overall, given the location, I have to say this design is a big long turd that resembles a self storage building.

But its got GREAT parking!

The ATX
Nov 19, 2015, 3:46 PM
This is the first 8 1/2 story building I've ever come across. From the Statesman article:

"There will be four stories of offices atop 4 1/2 levels of parking."

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/business/9-story-office-project-planned-for-barton-springs-/npQd6/

drummer
Nov 19, 2015, 11:46 PM
Some short cars for that half floor...mostly convertibles, probably. It might even be limited to Miatas.

Tech House
Nov 21, 2015, 5:40 AM
Miatas and bobsleds.

I dig that they're thinking ahead to a time when fewer people will be driving cars, so that there's only a 1:1 parking to office floor ratio. They're going to force people to only drive one car to work.

The drive-through portion of the building is tres chic, reminds me of some of the stellar projects in North Austin from the 70s-80s. Real class act, I couldn't be more thrilled.

KevinFromTexas
Nov 21, 2015, 5:59 AM
I'm definitely not a fan of it. The design reminds me a bit of what you see in Berlin and some of the Scandinavian cities.

The ATX
Jan 20, 2016, 9:09 PM
A permit filing from today says the tower crane will go up in April.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devreview/b_showpublicpermitfolderdetails.jsp?FolderRSN=11473577

lzppjb
Jan 20, 2016, 11:39 PM
It doesn't really look like 106'. Is there a taller portion on the back half of the building?

the Genral
Jan 21, 2016, 12:14 AM
:sarcasmalert:

So this is definitely getting built...yaaaaaaaaay!!!

drummer
Jan 21, 2016, 1:35 AM
Man, where are people going to go for good snow cones now? :)

SkyPie
Jan 21, 2016, 2:57 AM
Man, where are people going to go for good snow cones now? :)

Casey's New Orleans Snowballs of course! :tup:

lzppjb
Jan 21, 2016, 2:57 AM
Some guys on shaggy are saying how terrible traffic in and out of this place will be, especially with the building being right next to the sidewalk like that.

drummer
Jan 21, 2016, 6:15 AM
^ I've not driven by there during rush hour in a while, but when I lived in Austin I did a couple of times and the neighboring buildings sometimes had cops out front to help cars in and out of the parking areas. Add to that. Crazy indeed.

Tech House
Jan 21, 2016, 7:18 PM
NOW I remember where I've seen this thing before!
Traffic's gonna be a nightmare during the Hajj.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12508755_10208861799561688_5573649866892180182_n.jpg?oh=718ed2e23c2c95469af28adba3a61978&oe=57482026

KevinFromTexas
Jan 22, 2016, 1:22 AM
Tower crane plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/2016/160204/PLANS/AULCC_SP-The%20Park%20-801%20Barton%20Springs%20Road%20-%20Towner%20Crane_PLANS.pdf

The ATX
Feb 14, 2016, 3:12 AM
It looks much better from this angle. She's a real Beauty.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l511/ihatethisplacenothingworks/801%20Barton%202.png
http://runaworkshop.com/portfolio/801bartonsprings

the Genral
Feb 14, 2016, 3:57 AM
Yes, I agree. Its freakin gorgeous from that angle! And it fits in so nicely.

austlar1
Feb 14, 2016, 4:20 AM
NOW I remember where I've seen this thing before!
Traffic's gonna be a nightmare during the Hajj.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12508755_10208861799561688_5573649866892180182_n.jpg?oh=718ed2e23c2c95469af28adba3a61978&oe=57482026

"Like" button, please!

Cloud92
Feb 14, 2016, 5:38 PM
Its going to look beautiful with the area being very green

the Genral
Feb 15, 2016, 12:18 AM
Good Lord I hope we are all being sarcastic. I flush better designs than this piece of crap.

Tech House
Feb 15, 2016, 6:59 AM
Good Lord I hope we are all being sarcastic. I flush better designs than this piece of crap.

Amen and hallelujah. It looks like a typical pile in my closet, 3 completely random boxes stacked awkwardly on top of each other, without any thought to the aesthetics of the situation.

KevinFromTexas
Aug 19, 2016, 8:12 PM
This is still moving along. AE Duct Plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2016/160901/PLANS/AULCC_SP-The%20Park%20801%20Barton%20Springs%20Road%20AE%20Duct%20Bank_PLANS.pdf

the Genral
Aug 20, 2016, 1:48 AM
:facepalm: I REALLY want to go off on this one, but I'm going to cover my eyes, keep my mouth shut, and move on. Well, maybe just this one tiny rant....this is one butt ugly piece of shit looking building. How could any architect with any dignity be proud of this box. Its minimalism at its minimum. Its a guy or gal saying, "I was trying to design something unique and amazing and kept drawing one blank after another, so I decided to go shopping for shoes. I bought three pairs, went home and stacked the three shoe boxes on the floor. That's when it hit me! That was my inspiration!" Apparently, it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to make it as an architect these days. It would have been a better design if he got his inspiration while pissing in a toilet. At least we would have gotten a building with lots of curves and a fountain. Did they not understand Austin's mantra? Its Keep it weird, not ridiculously shitty and ugly. It makes me sad, mad, frustrated, belligerent, obnoxious, embarrassed, cross, confused, and inconsolable when architects raise their bare asses into the air, spread their cheeks apart, and present to Austin the equivalent of what lies between those rosie fat cheeks. We deserve world class, not this. No really, I'm just going to cover my eyes, keep my mouth shut, and move on. I'm keeping my opinion to myself this time...

futures
Aug 20, 2016, 3:25 PM
^LOL. This building sure has created some strong and divisive opinions.

If you dislike this building, do you also dislike The Independent, Kimber Modern Hotel, and other similar designs throughout the world? I think a lot of people would love this building if it was stretched to 300 ft.

I actually love it (no sarcasm). I like that it's high quality materials, clean lines, and an interesting take on a mid rise office building. Almost every other building this size is a stucco/glass faux contemporary snooze fest.

Runa Workshop does interesting work.

the Genral
Aug 20, 2016, 10:49 PM
^LOL. This building sure has created some strong and divisive opinions.

If you dislike this building, do you also dislike The Independent, Kimber Modern Hotel, and other similar designs throughout the world? I think a lot of people would love this building if it was stretched to 300 ft.

I actually love it (no sarcasm). I like that it's high quality materials, clean lines, and an interesting take on a mid rise office building. Almost every other building this size is a stucco/glass faux contemporary snooze fest.

Runa Workshop does interesting work.

I am not in love with the Independent, but I like it. I may really like it when its topped out and I can see the impact on the skyline. If there are similar designs to this building elsewhere, then I wouldn't care. Just not in my downtown, or NIMDT. The proposed Rainey Street Market building is more of what I consider great for Austin. I think its pretty cool and interesting how far apart you and I are on this one. Remind me not to ask you to design my next house:tup:

The ATX
Aug 21, 2016, 12:53 AM
Who couldn't love this place? It's like a McMansion with a driveway to a matching garage in back. :rolleyes:

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l511/ihatethisplacenothingworks/801%20Barton%202.png

Cloud92
Aug 21, 2016, 8:01 AM
I adore this building. It kind of reminds me of something you would find in Tokyo

AusTxDevelopment
Aug 21, 2016, 12:48 PM
Who couldn't love this place? It's like a McMansion with a driveway to a matching garage in back. :rolleyes:

I like how they dealt with the flood issue. The front of the building sits on the edge of a floodplain, and rather than raise the whole sidewalk like Shoal Creek Walk, they only raised the building which keeps it in line with the two buildings on either side that were built in the 80s, before the reassessment.

austlar1
Aug 21, 2016, 7:05 PM
I like how they dealt with the flood issue. The front of the building sits on the edge of a floodplain, and rather than raise the whole sidewalk like Shoal Creek Walk, they only raised the building which keeps it in line with the two buildings on either side that were built in the 80s, before the reassessment.

It also looks like they have some kind of easement with the property next door via the parking garage. One of the concerns about this building was the fact that there was no way to exit the building in the event of a flood, while the building next door could be safely exited to higher ground from the rear.

MichaelB
Aug 23, 2016, 1:41 AM
I adore this building. It kind of reminds me of something you would find in Tokyo

Funny.... it's where I am right now and youre right! :tup:

And I like this building a lot as well!

drummer
Aug 23, 2016, 8:13 PM
This one is growing on me.

the Genral
Aug 23, 2016, 8:55 PM
This one is growing on me.

I'm out numbered again, as usual. You were my only hope:shrug:

wwmiv
Aug 23, 2016, 9:18 PM
I love it. Always did.

the Genral
Aug 23, 2016, 11:50 PM
That makes me the 1 out of 5 dentist that doesn't recommend Crest. The .1% germ that Lysol doesn't kill. The not choosy mother who doesn't choose Jiff. The one Territon smoker who would rather switch than fight...you got to be old enough to get the last two...

clubtokyo
Aug 24, 2016, 1:36 AM
Reminds me of Tokyo :)

Tech House
Aug 25, 2016, 9:54 PM
That makes me the 1 out of 5 dentist that doesn't recommend Crest. The .1% germ that Lysol doesn't kill. The not choosy mother who doesn't choose Jiff. The one Territon smoker who would rather switch than fight...you got to be old enough to get the last two...

As is usually the case, I'm in agreement with you. I thought I might start liking it after repeated exposure to the renderings over several months, but it's just getting worse. That angled offset middle block of concrete is just no. No. Can someone provide a legitimate defense for that? It doesn't work. Does.Not.Work. It looks stupid. The whole thing is just stupid, it's trying waayyy too hard to be hip, and it'll probably succeed with some people for a few years, but it's not gonna last. We're gonna regret this mistake. The bottom level is hideous too. The top section is bland and could pass for a suburban or Domain office building, but on Barton Springs Rd? No. Make this go away.

I think you meant Tarlton for that cigarette brand, and even then I'm not sure that's the brand that used that slogan but yeah, I'd rather fight this than switch to liking it. [Google search] OK, you're right, but it's Tareyton. The really weird thing is that I feel like I've never heard of that brand before, and yet the slogan was drilled into my brain a few hundred times when I was a kid.

the Genral
Aug 26, 2016, 12:06 AM
As is usually the case, I'm in agreement with you. I thought I might start liking it after repeated exposure to the renderings over several months, but it's just getting worse. That angled offset middle block of concrete is just no. No. Can someone provide a legitimate defense for that? It doesn't work. Does.Not.Work. It looks stupid. The whole thing is just stupid, it's trying waayyy too hard to be hip, and it'll probably succeed with some people for a few years, but it's not gonna last. We're gonna regret this mistake. The bottom level is hideous too. The top section is bland and could pass for a suburban or Domain office building, but on Barton Springs Rd? No. Make this go away.

I think you meant Tarlton for that cigarette brand, and even then I'm not sure that's the brand that used that slogan but yeah, I'd rather fight this than switch to liking it. [Google search] OK, you're right, but it's Tareyton. The really weird thing is that I feel like I've never heard of that brand before, and yet the slogan was drilled into my brain a few hundred times when I was a kid.

I won't continue bashing this like I did on other projects. I think you did a good/better job echoing my opinion. I think we are about the same age, maybe that has something to do with our architectural tastes for the most part. Without being too facetious this time, its just that that area feels anti whatever that architect is called and shouldn't be in stark contrast to the tree lined surroundings. It doesn't really blend in well at all. LaFrontera, Domain, sure, why not. If we get caught up and excited with buildings being different for the sake of something different, at least find a better place to put it. I totally agree, not on Barton Spings Rd.

The ATX
Aug 26, 2016, 6:08 AM
This thing actually broke ground a month ago.

https://imageserver-bisnow1.netdna-ssl.com/23QemzfnbkYpjOxNFnj5wsBjIy0=/710x484/publisher/5799150cadd16_Barton_Springs_1.jpeg
https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-antonio/news/office/90k-sf-office-building-with-stunning-views-breaks-ground-63293

drummer
Aug 29, 2016, 1:34 AM
I'm out numbered again, as usual. You were my only hope:shrug:

Haha, I hear you. If this were in a different location, I might not be a fan of it at all. However, I think it works for this location and for this lot.

Flatiron
Sep 20, 2016, 6:23 PM
Haha, I hear you. If this were in a different location, I might not be a fan of it at all. However, I think it works for this location and for this lot.

I'm excited about this project. Aside from the Long Center, the newest stuff on that block is 80s crap. This building is a nice addition.

the Genral
Sep 26, 2016, 1:28 AM
Is it too late to change the design to look more like this? I don't hate this one.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b549/johngenerali/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09/Screenshot_2016-09-20-19-50-40-1_zps14va0i4b.png (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/johngenerali/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09/Screenshot_2016-09-20-19-50-40-1_zps14va0i4b.png.html)

The ATX
Sep 27, 2016, 5:11 AM
This one is definitely underway. I happened to go by the site tonight. It was dark, but the site is fenced off and there is heavy equipment on the site

The ATX
Oct 2, 2016, 1:58 AM
If anyone cares, the crane goes up in three weeks (10/21-10/23).

https://www.austintexas.gov/devreview/b_showpublicpermitfolderdetails.jsp?FolderRSN=11609166

The ATX
Oct 26, 2016, 1:01 AM
The crane went up:

http://i.imgur.com/1fnDKG2.png

drummer
Oct 26, 2016, 3:02 AM
^ So, will the building be visible from that angle? It's fairly short, isn't it?

KevinFromTexas
Oct 26, 2016, 3:34 AM
It should. The building on the right is 140 feet tall. This one will come up to the floor on that first setback.

the Genral
Oct 26, 2016, 5:19 AM
I'm hoping this will be visible for miles and miles. Maybe even set up a view corridor.

drummer
Oct 26, 2016, 9:54 AM
So, theGeneral loves this building, clearly, haha...

Kevin, thanks for that. I didn't realize it was quite that tall relative to the other buildings.

Flatiron
Mar 11, 2017, 3:34 AM
Took these pics (3/6/17) from a bus window:
http://i.imgur.com/xowcmECh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EH0vRHTh.jpg

drummer
Mar 11, 2017, 11:43 AM
Wow, I forgot about this one.

the Genral
Mar 11, 2017, 1:56 PM
Wow, I forgot about this one.

I tried to...:yuck:

Flatiron
Mar 28, 2017, 7:06 PM
3/26/17
The building everyone loves to hate:

http://i.imgur.com/ZSLNy3Wh.jpg

Urbannizer
Apr 13, 2017, 6:21 AM
4/12

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2898/33188071013_d94114bfa8_b.jpg
(https://flic.kr/p/SyHxfV)801 Barton Springs (https://flic.kr/p/SyHxfV) by Darius Fontenette (https://www.flickr.com/photos/128036658@N05/), on Flickr

The ATX
Apr 13, 2017, 2:13 PM
This one may end up looking just like the rendering.

drummer
Apr 14, 2017, 8:03 AM
^^ Hey, hear that, Genral?! :)

Urbannizer
Jun 17, 2017, 1:42 AM
6/16

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4204/34542131023_887f15c6ad_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/UCns8a)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/UCns8a) by Darius Fontenette (https://www.flickr.com/photos/128036658@N05/), on Flickr

the Genral
Jun 17, 2017, 3:19 AM
^^ Hey, hear that, Genral?! :)

:maddown: :brickwall: :censor: :hell: :yuck: :pissed:; :gaah: :breakcomp: :dead:

But I am slowly warming up to it...:lmao:

drummer
Jun 17, 2017, 6:27 AM
:maddown: :brickwall: :censor: :hell: :yuck: :pissed:; :gaah: :breakcomp: :dead:

But I am slowly warming up to it...:lmao:

:haha:

Flatiron
Jul 14, 2017, 8:28 PM
This one is visible from an observation tower on Cesar Chavez (7/1/17)

http://i.imgur.com/niBmP6Sh.jpg

427MM
Jul 15, 2017, 8:26 PM
This was an incredibly contentious zoning case back around 2011. Would be fascinating to go back and watch that footage and take quotes from it and see what all we hear today in the CodeNEXT discussions.

Urbannizer
Aug 3, 2017, 9:48 PM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4392/35549115753_10c1742728_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WamvAR)
801 Barton Springs (https://flic.kr/p/WamvAR) by Darius Fontenette (https://www.flickr.com/photos/128036658@N05/), on Flickr

the Genral
Aug 4, 2017, 12:39 AM
They're actually going through with building this thing? I thought it was a big elaborate joke.

The ATX
Aug 12, 2017, 2:13 AM
Crossposting eskimo33's photos from the update thread. He's correct in that this is turning out just like the rendering - for better or worse.

I did not see a thread for 801 Barton Springs, so I posted these pictures here. I took these at lunch today (Aug-11-17).

I think that this is a good angle showing how deep the building is.
http://i.imgur.com/DPmUlbh.jpg

This one is going to look almost exactly like the rendering.
http://i.imgur.com/He9y4fq.jpg

starboy92
Aug 12, 2017, 10:09 AM
mmm I think crystal clear glass would have been better than black glass

Urbannizer
Sep 12, 2017, 12:06 AM
Crane came down over the weekend.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4410/37148912495_2888429bb6_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YAHTri)
Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/YAHTri) by Darius Fontenette (https://www.flickr.com/photos/128036658@N05/), on Flickr

the Genral
Sep 12, 2017, 3:07 AM
Damn, if only the building came down with the crane...

The ATX
Sep 12, 2017, 3:14 AM
It's like the crane pieces are being secreted out in the dead of night. Yet the building is still there when the sun rises.

akashkw
Sep 12, 2017, 8:27 AM
Surprised by how much hate this design gets, or maybe those who hate it are just very vocal.

Either way, I think this building looks cool. I especially like their use of black glass, because it's not used often enough on newer buildings.

Sigaven
Sep 12, 2017, 2:48 PM
I was gonna say. Why does everyone hate this building? I'm a little late to the party on this one and I don't get it.

the Genral
Sep 12, 2017, 6:08 PM
I was gonna say. Why does everyone hate this building? I'm a little late to the party on this one and I don't get it.

Not everyone, just me. I don't think the design goes well for that area and surrounding buildings. I think it would look and fit better along a highway or industrial park. Maybe even at La Frontera or the Domain. I'm not crazy about the design but I mostly just don't like it at that location. I always liked the trees and relative beauty of BSR in that particular area and the simple architecture. Its almost as out of place as a log cabin would be in the center of downtown. Just my personal opinion and taste of course.

drummer
Sep 13, 2017, 3:44 AM
Not everyone, just me. I don't think the design goes well for that area and surrounding buildings. I think it would look and fit better along a highway or industrial park. Maybe even at La Frontera or the Domain. I'm not crazy about the design but I mostly just don't like it at that location. I always liked the trees and relative beauty of BSR in that particular area and the simple architecture. Its almost as out of place as a log cabin would be in the center of downtown. Just my personal opinion and taste of course.

Wait, I thought you liked this one... Have I been misreading your posts?

So confused. :)

As I said a while back, this one has been growing on me. I think that a lot of new stuff in the core area (and surrounding areas) will likely go with more of a modern look. It seems to be the way a lot of cities are going. As long as it interacts well with the street, I don't mind if it doesn't match everything around it. None of the buildings immediately next to this one are particularly historical or interesting to me, so I can live with the architectural differences here.

the Genral
Sep 13, 2017, 4:28 PM
Wait, I thought you liked this one... Have I been misreading your posts?

So confused. :)

As I said a while back, this one has been growing on me. I think that a lot of new stuff in the core area (and surrounding areas) will likely go with more of a modern look. It seems to be the way a lot of cities are going. As long as it interacts well with the street, I don't mind if it doesn't match everything around it. None of the buildings immediately next to this one are particularly historical or interesting to me, so I can live with the architectural differences here.

The section below the glass looks cheap and barnyard, it looks like a weathered privacy fence. And that's the street interaction part. Maybe if they used a different material, stone or brick, I would like it....naaaahhhh!!!:slob: Jeeze Drummer, I thought I'd have your support on this one...alas, I stand alone....again......