PDA

View Full Version : Brandon MB - 10 storeys up - 4 pics

harls
Mar 7, 2007, 9:31 PM
Just a few I took from my hotel room last Friday..Excuse the fuzziness on the last two.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/412525957_9b4a1072a2_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/412525557_a318c35f8e_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/412525136_2d86dd9778_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/412524751_ba5f5d48bf_o.jpg

SpongeG
Mar 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
it looks so bleak

Distill3d
Mar 7, 2007, 10:09 PM
i think i can see Calgary....

vid
Mar 8, 2007, 2:26 AM
Puts Thunder Bay to shame. :(

CanadianCentaur
Mar 8, 2007, 2:40 AM
Kind of reminds me of how Grande Prairie looks to the north and east from my dad's law firm on the 6th floor of Windsor Court, except that GP's got all those new housing subdivisions going up all at once.

dubiousmike
Mar 8, 2007, 2:44 AM
O Canada!
Cold cold cold cold cold cold!
cold cold cold cold!
cold cold cold cold cold COLD!

Greco Roman
Mar 8, 2007, 2:49 AM
Desolate?

No where near as bad as areas outside Lethbridge or Medicine Hat in the TRUE BALD-ASS PRAIRIE. Now that is desolate. :cool:

newflyer
Mar 8, 2007, 3:05 AM
I like how Brandon is built in a valley.. a very scenic little city. It has also seen some descent growth the last number of years as well.

Not to mention the McD's on the #1 .. which is always a must stop for me when passing by. :tup:

CYBR
Mar 8, 2007, 4:40 AM
I live in Brandon and this is a nice little city. These photos are taken from the Canad Inn hotel.

The Jabroni
Mar 8, 2007, 4:48 AM
Hey, I think I can see my house in those pics... ;)

DLLB
Mar 8, 2007, 9:52 PM
I always liked Brandon on those occasions when I was there. What has the growth been like in the last few years?

murman
Mar 8, 2007, 10:09 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/412525557_a318c35f8e_b.jpg

Well, at least I now know where all that stolen lumber went from my construction site.

Only The Lonely..
Mar 8, 2007, 11:20 PM
I guess this is the view from the tallest building between Winnipeg and Regina.

biggiebear
Mar 8, 2007, 11:59 PM
Well, at least I now know where all that stolen lumber went from my construction site.

Good eye!:haha: :haha:

Andy6
Mar 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
I live in Brandon and this is a nice little city. These photos are taken from the Canad Inn hotel.

Of course, only the top-of-the-line for our harls. The Royal Suite, no doubt.

vid
Mar 9, 2007, 2:48 AM
Royal Suite? It's a fucking CanadInn. :haha:

That's like saying "Table for ten, it's our Anniversary!" at McDonalds. :)

flatlander
Mar 9, 2007, 5:51 AM
Royal Suite? It's a fucking CanadInn. :haha:

That's like saying "Table for ten, it's our Anniversary!" at McDonalds. :)

I believe that's an A+W commercial, not McDonalds.

PS Robert Service is going to come back and slap your ass and not in a good way.

vid
Mar 9, 2007, 6:09 AM
I believe that's an A+W commercial, not McDonalds.

PS Robert Service is going to come back and slap your ass and not in a good way.

Shut up, I was laughing for hours after I came up with that! :D

JBinCalgary
Mar 9, 2007, 7:10 AM
i thought it was funny

flatlander
Mar 9, 2007, 3:46 PM
Well, ya, sure it was funny, but Robert Service has an antiquated sense of humour.

harls
Mar 9, 2007, 5:36 PM
Of course, only the top-of-the-line for our harls. The Royal Suite, no doubt.

Correction - the Executive Suite! I think the Royal Suites are on the 11th floor (the penthouse, if you will).

We booked the entire 10th floor for accomodations after a wedding social. Security did not like us too much.

Here's one more I forgot - The large-ish building in the background is McMaster hall at Brandon University.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/412513634_865d25e096_b.jpg

spiritedenergy
Mar 10, 2007, 3:18 AM
i like brandon, there is a huge hill right in the center of the town

newflyer
Mar 10, 2007, 5:40 AM
Correction - the Executive Suite! I think the Royal Suites are on the 11th floor (the penthouse, if you will).

We booked the entire 10th floor for accomodations after a wedding social. Security did not like us too much.

Here's one more I forgot - The large-ish building in the background is McMaster hall at Brandon University.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/412513634_865d25e096_b.jpg

Wait a minute!!!!! ... I see a Wendy's !!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

They are closing up shop in most locations in Winnipeg .... I guess I'll have to drive into town next time and get myself a classic single burger. :yes:

vid
Mar 10, 2007, 6:38 AM
A man who drives three hours for fast food is a man who deserves not real food.

Only The Lonely..
Mar 10, 2007, 7:41 AM
I don't understand why all the Wendy's are closing. The one on Henderson always had people in it. Quite frankly its nice to be able to eat a burger in peace without all the annoyng kids in the bouncy pit competing for your attention.

Anyone want to go halfers with me in buying a starbucks franchise to compete with Timmy's on Henderson? I think the old Wendy's location would be a great place to setup shop.

spiritedenergy
Mar 10, 2007, 7:48 AM
I don't understand why all the Wendy's are closing. The one on Henderson always had people in it. Quite frankly its nice to be able to eat a burger in peace without all the annoyng kids in the bouncy pit competing for your attention.

Anyone want to go halfers with me in buying a starbucks franchise to compete with Timmy's on Henderson? I think the old Wendy's location would be a great place to setup shop.

i totally agree with you!!!! Canada is too much child friendly... those kids are noisy, dirty, unpolite, and with all this attention they get spoiled:frog:

Only The Lonely..
Mar 10, 2007, 7:54 AM
i totally agree with you!!!! Canada is too much child friendly... those kids are noisy, dirty, unpolite, and with all this attention they get spoiled:frog:

You sir are a true poet, I couldn't have said it better myself. :yes:

LilZebra
Mar 13, 2007, 2:12 AM
In the second photo there's that huge tower.

Is that where CBC and CTV and Global broadcast from?

LilZebra
Mar 13, 2007, 2:15 AM
Brandon has so much potential, but yet is one of the ugliest cities in all of Canada. I remember a thread on this topic a few months back.

I think some Winnipeggers (the cycling environmentalists) wish that our city looked more like Brandon does -- "scenic".

If Brandon looked more like Regina, then I'd be happier with that city.

newflyer
Mar 13, 2007, 2:22 AM
A man who drives three hours for fast food is a man who deserves not real food.

First of all its 2 hours outside of Winnipeg. :P

Second of all .. I am only saying when I am travelling down the #1 highway, its nice to be able to pickup a quick meal. Wendy's does make a good burger.

Third ... I just may find myself driving though Brandon this summer. This pic gave me an idea which may draw me off the highway. :yes:

CYBR
Mar 13, 2007, 2:27 AM
In the second photo there's that huge tower.

That's the Westman Cable's tower, our local cable company.

This camera is attached to the tower.
http://webcam.manitobanet.com/

CYBR
Mar 13, 2007, 2:34 AM
Brandon has so much potential, but yet is one of the ugliest cities in all of Canada. I remember a thread on this topic a few months back.

I think some Winnipeggers (the cycling environmentalists) wish that our city looked more like Brandon does -- "scenic".

Since I live in Brandon, I strongly disagree. Brandon is a beautiful city. For most of us who live in Brandon, it's the perfect size. It may have a few problems, but what city doesn't. I was raised in a community just east of the city (Douglas). I alway considered Brandon as my second hometown.

newflyer
Mar 13, 2007, 2:57 AM

I completely disagree ...Bradon is very attractive. I really like how the city is built in a valley. I think it is a very nice small city ... very nice layout and urban forest.

Mar 13, 2007, 3:02 AM
It's like this tiny patch of North Kildonan transplanted out on the open prairie.....

Greco Roman
Mar 13, 2007, 3:23 AM

Umm, Regina is flat with no real topography. I'm glad it doesn't look like Regina.

CCF
Mar 13, 2007, 3:35 AM
Umm, Regina is flat with no real topography. I'm glad it doesn't look like Regina.

Says the guy from WInnipeg.............

Yikes, I never really have understood how hills make a city....if I want to go see true natural beauty then I'll get in my car for 15 minutes and drive to the Qu'Appelle Valley.

Greco Roman
Mar 13, 2007, 3:48 AM
Says the guy from WInnipeg.............

Yikes, I never really have understood how hills make a city....if I want to go see true natural beauty then I'll get in my car for 15 minutes and drive to the Qu'Appelle Valley.

True enough. And in all honesty, if it weren't for the N. Sask. River Valley (which is small), Edmonton is pretty flat too.

CCF
Mar 13, 2007, 3:52 AM
I just don't understand why flat somehow equates to bad....

I also don't get how WInnipeg can call Regina flat? :P

Greco Roman
Mar 13, 2007, 3:56 AM
I just don't understand why flat somehow equates to bad....

I also don't get how WInnipeg can call Regina flat? :P

Well, they are both flat. I don't hate flat if that is what you are thinking, but having grown up in that topography for most of my life, it was time for a change. Edmonton only has a dinky little river valley, but it's a start ;)

I still think the Shield is where it's at.

CYBR
Mar 13, 2007, 4:02 AM
Winnipeg is also fairly flat.

vid
Mar 13, 2007, 5:18 AM
Fort William is flat. Does that count?

It was probably the flattest city in Ontario until amalgamation! :)

spiritedenergy
Mar 13, 2007, 5:23 AM

well, i must say Brandon look prittier the Winnipeg. What Winnipeg has more is downtown.

harls
Mar 13, 2007, 12:15 PM

I know CBC's tower is south of town near some place called Hayfield.. which isn't really a place, it's actually a real hay field.

Don't know about CTV and Global.. I think CTV is north of town.

Global's signal always came from Winnipeg (when I was growing up out there).. some days it'd be pretty weak and fuzzy. Man I love satellite TV now..

rapid_business
Mar 13, 2007, 1:19 PM
Starbucks doesn't franchise. They own and control their own.

rrskylar
Mar 13, 2007, 2:16 PM
Brandon: 2006; 41,511 2001; 39,716 4.5

Looks like former mayor Atkinson truly was full of it when he said Brandon would grow to 50,000 after the Maple Leaf plant opened!

LilZebra
Mar 13, 2007, 6:54 PM
That's the Westman Cable's tower, our local cable company.

This camera is attached to the tower.
http://webcam.manitobanet.com/

Hmmm... a new tab opens up, and nothing happens. I have NoScript installed and allowed the site temp. access to my computer... still nothing but a blank page.

LilZebra
Mar 13, 2007, 6:57 PM
Global's signal always came from Winnipeg (when I was growing up out there).. some days it'd be pretty weak and fuzzy. Man I love satellite TV now..

How can that be when CKND-2 (Brandon), a retransmitter of CKND (Winnipeg), operates on channel 2 cable 9 since .... Sept. 1982? :shrug:

harls
Mar 13, 2007, 7:05 PM
Hm..CKND was on channel 2, yes.. but I didn't think they had a tower in Brandon.. I always thought it was somewhere outside of Winnipeg because it was always a shitty weak signal, especially at night. Even WDAZ in Devils Lake would come in clearer sometimes!

LilZebra
Mar 13, 2007, 7:08 PM

But if Brandon had some taller buildings like Regina along with Brandon's "hills" then, IMHO, Brandon would be a nicer place. That's what I was trying to say.

Congrats. to Brandon for reaching 41 K. You need another 60 K to become a real city though.

LilZebra
Mar 13, 2007, 7:10 PM
Hm..CKND was on channel 2, yes.. but I didn't think they had a tower in Brandon.. I always thought it was somewhere outside of Winnipeg because it was always a shitty weak signal, especially at night. Even WDAZ in Devils Lake would come in clearer sometimes!

WDAZ (channel 8), KVLY (channel 11), KNRR (channel 12), and KXJB (channel 4, also a rebr. on ch. 58 at Glasston) have some of the highest broadcasting towers in all of N. America.

vid
Mar 13, 2007, 7:43 PM
Hmmm... a new tab opens up, and nothing happens. I have NoScript installed and allowed the site temp. access to my computer... still nothing but a blank page.

Try IE. If it still doesn't work, it's just being an asshole today.

That camera has a bit of a reputation. :/ I remember when it was aimed at CanadInn when it was under construction. Kept shaking, looks like Brandon was having an earthquake. :P

Andy6
Mar 13, 2007, 10:28 PM

The CKND repeater was, and I assume still is, in Minnedosa, Izzy's home town.

CYBR
Mar 13, 2007, 10:55 PM
But if Brandon had some taller buildings like Regina along with Brandon's "hills" then, IMHO, Brandon would be a nicer place. That's what I was trying to say.

Congrats. to Brandon for reaching 41 K. You need another 60 K to become a real city though.

What do you mean by "real city"?
Personally, I like the size of the city as it is now. It may eventually get up to 50,000.

If we want the city to be like Regina then we would move to Regina.

I like the fact that you can get from one side of the city to another in about 10 min.

BTW, Brandon was never a village or town, it was incorporated right away in 1882 as a city.

CYBR
Mar 13, 2007, 10:57 PM

Open in Media Player.

The shaking would be because of the wind.

vid
Mar 13, 2007, 11:00 PM
It may eventually get up to 50,000.

!!

:5:

CYBR
Mar 13, 2007, 11:12 PM
On the local news, Brandon's population rose by 4.5%. It's below the national average. The mayor is pleased to see a steady growth and says many in the city can't see it becoming a metropolis.

newflyer
Mar 14, 2007, 12:53 AM
On the local news, Brandon's population rose by 4.5%. It's below the national average. The mayor is pleased to see a steady growth and says many in the city can't see it becoming a metropolis.

In other news... Stienbach residents forsee a future where they become the second largest in the province. Growing at over 20% it might take them a while, they are eating other cities lunches. Giving themselves the title of "Paradise beyond the Perimeter".

vid
Mar 14, 2007, 1:04 AM
Just what the world needs: More Steinbach! :rolleyes:

Andy6
Mar 14, 2007, 1:11 AM
In other news... Stienbach residents forsee a future where they become the second largest in the province. Growing at over 20% it might take them a while, they are eating other cities lunches. Giving themselves the title of "Paradise beyond the Perimeter".

They could surpass Portage in the next census, which would be the first time in 100 years, probably, that Portage fell below 4th place (discounting when St. Boniface, St. James, etc. were their own cities). Surpassing Selkirk is a big milestone. I remember when Steinbach went from the little half-filled circle on the provincial highway map to the yellow blob that signified that it had reached the largest population category known in Manitoba, 5,000+. Now it's over double that.

harls
Mar 14, 2007, 4:09 PM
Personally, I like the size of the city as it is now. It may eventually get up to 50,000.

According to this, (http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/data/profiles/community/Details/Page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CMA&Code1=610__&Geo2=PR&Code2=46&Data=Count&SearchText=brandon&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&Custom=) the Brandon Census Agglomeration is almost at 50k..

LilZebra
Mar 18, 2007, 10:56 PM
BTW, Brandon was never a village or town, it was incorporated right away in 1882 as a city.

Maybe that's part of the problem then. Brandon had nothing to aspire to from the beginning. If it had started out as the Town of Brandon, then it could have aspired to become that 100 K city much earlier and it'd maybe have gotten there by now.

CYBR
Mar 20, 2007, 2:49 AM
Maybe that's part of the problem then. Brandon had nothing to aspire to from the beginning. If it had started out as the Town of Brandon, then it could have aspired to become that 100 K city much earlier and it'd maybe have gotten there by now.

Prior to the railway coming through, there was a couple farms. After the railroad was completed through Brandon, the population exploded. In 1881, it was just a tent city basically, then on May 30, 1882 it was incorporated as a city. In about a year it went from nothing to a city.

Why is a 100,000 such a magical number? Many move here because of it's current size. We can get from one side of the city to the other in about 10 min, no big city crime, no big city problems.

Go Wheat Kings Go!!!