PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

wburg
Nov 18, 2009, 5:53 PM
I noticed that 500 CM was lit up while coming home yesterday--don't know why, it looks kind of nice though.

The R Street projects: I am sure that Mark Friedman is waiting for better economic times to push his "Ice Blocks" project converting the old Crystal Ice plant to mixed-use condos (part of the building will be saved but heavily altered, part will be demolished.) The project between 18th and 19th on the half-block that was recently demolished is pretty much dead, dead, dead.

One thing that should happen soon is a re-surfacing of R Street on those blocks, including sidewalks and landscaping. CADA is in charge of that and has shown their draft concepts at recent public meetings. Even though there isn't much in the way of buildings there, that stretch of R Street already sees quite a bit of pedestrian traffic--anyone taking light rail to Safeway gets off at 16th and walks there via R Street, so a better pedestrian environment will help--and the amount of "walk-by" traffic might appeal to investors who would back projects along that stretch. I walk that stretch quite a bit (I can stop there on my way home from work to pick up a few groceries) and the current pedestrian environment is mighty hazardous (no sidewalks, just gravel on the side of the road, no lighting.) R Street was a railroad corridor from the 1850s until the 1970s, so it never had sidewalks--heck, much of it wasn't even paved until trucks started serving the industries there.

In my mind, the most interesting place to put a grocery store in the CBD would be in the old Greyhound station on 7th and K. The garage area has a huge open space that could be enclosed with glass doors, creating a big farmer's market space, with other grocery items in the current waiting room area--and hopefully a cafe in the corner that serves edible food (I'm pretty forgiving of greasy-spoon restaurants, but the one at the Greyhound station is not good.)

Of course, the property itself could combine the Greyhound depot and a high-rise behind it, like the Washington DC Greyhound rehab did...and a supermarket in the ground floor of a mid-rise or high-rise is certainly not impractical, I really like the Safeway on the ground floor of a condo building across from the Caltrain station in San Francisco.

Mr. Ozo
Nov 18, 2009, 7:04 PM
I spent last night walking around K street and J street downtown. K Street is worse than I thought, I keep thinking it's going to be like it was back in 2001 when there were still shops open. K and 10th up to 13th is a lot more lively and those three David Taylor spots open that will certainly help to turn the area in front of the crest in a fun spot and if that 10th and K Hotel happens it can only be a plus. It's all kind of a joke without housing though. Funny thing is I remember people used to live in the floors above K Street. It looks like the Old Chinese restaurant on 7th and J is closed for good and I haven't seen the Chamber Room open lately. I think housing on 8th and K, plus rehab the 8th and L buildings back to housing would turn the area around faster than any other project. I also see a lot of potential for the North side of J between 7th and 8th and also 10th and 11th.

wburg
Nov 18, 2009, 8:24 PM
The Chambers Room is still open, but yeah, I was very sad when Jade Garden closed. I bet a lot of that had to do with furloughs--a lot of state workers ate lunch there and when their salaries got cut, lunches out dropped like a stone. There are a couple of other vacant storefronts on the 700 block of J, but some full ones as well--Image Lounge, the Afghan restaurant, the art gallery/office space, and the dentist's office.

I think the only housing that is still actually on K Street downtown is the Sequoia Hotel SRO.

thekid@455
Nov 19, 2009, 12:24 AM
The Chambers Room is still open, but yeah, I was very sad when Jade Garden closed. I bet a lot of that had to do with furloughs--a lot of state workers ate lunch there and when their salaries got cut, lunches out dropped like a stone. There are a couple of other vacant storefronts on the 700 block of J, but some full ones as well--Image Lounge, the Afghan restaurant, the art gallery/office space, and the dentist's office.

I think the only housing that is still actually on K Street downtown is the Sequoia Hotel SRO.

Wburg:

The restaurant's owners (the Cheng's) didn't own the building and the City of Sacramento was requiring the inclusion or sprinklers or it was going to hit the building's owner (Al's bail bonds) with fines. The Cheng's were willing to bring the building up to code if they could secure a 5 year lease, Al's was not willing to do that so the Cheng's closed down.

wburg
Nov 19, 2009, 2:05 AM
So he would rather have a vacant building (and lose a long-term tenant) than fix his property or OK a long-term lease? Amazing...

DALINSAC
Nov 19, 2009, 2:34 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Ozo;4565251]I spent last night walking around K street and J street downtown. K Street is worse than I thought, I keep thinking it's going to be like it was back in 2001 when there were still shops open.

Yep. K St. is just too sad for words :(

goldcntry
Nov 19, 2009, 4:01 PM
So he would rather have a vacant building (and lose a long-term tenant) than fix his property or OK a long-term lease? Amazing...

Sounds like the Moe Mohammad School of Business... :sly:

wburg
Nov 19, 2009, 5:57 PM
Sounds like the Moe Mohanna School of Business... :sly:

Three guesses as to who Ricci's partner in ownership of that block is?

SantaTeresaHills
Nov 19, 2009, 6:43 PM
Of course, the property itself could combine the Greyhound depot and a high-rise behind it, like the Washington DC Greyhound rehab did...and a supermarket in the ground floor of a mid-rise or high-rise is certainly not impractical, I really like the Safeway on the ground floor of a condo building across from the Caltrain station in San Francisco.

Safeway just built a new grocery store in the ground floor of a new 20 story condo building in San Jose. They are calling these new stores 'The Market'. The parking for this grocery store is in the parking garage below the store and the condos. The store is designed to have a lot of food that you can pick up and go or eat at the store. It has a sit down sushi bar, fresh pizza from a brick pizza oven, made to order sandwiches, Tully coffee bar, fresh baked breads that are baked in the store, etc. There is a pretty large wine area and there is a lot of display area to get meats, seafood, cheeses, etc. The area for regular groceries is actually pretty small.

This store was designed mostly for walk in business but as we ate our food from the tables outside of the store, there were a lot of cars driving in to go to the grocery store so it is drawing in people from outside downtown.

Please look at the images of the store at http://www.thesanjoseblog.com/2009/08/market-is-now-open.html.

I've actually been to the SF one next to Caltrain, the San Jose is smaller than the store and it is much nicer.

innov8
Nov 20, 2009, 7:14 AM
I'll ask again, whatsup with the lighting on 500cm?

It's pretty sad uh?

For some reason the exterior lights of 500 Capitol Mall just aren’t as bright as
they were advertised three years ago when it was approved to build by the
city. Unless you standing right in front of it, the dim lights that are on it now
can hardly be seen and a big disappointment compared to the night
rendering (shown below) making it really glow like the Wells Fargo Center
next to it on Capitol Mall. I have contacted the leasing company of the
tower several times asking if the exterior lighting was going to be improve
only to be told they would get back to me but never did. I was really hoping
that this building would add more dramatic lighting to Capitol Mall like other
new high-rises on the Mall. Unfortunately, I think this will be the best were
going to see from this tower and it will join the many other high-rises
downtown that have also failed to light-up as advertised like the Federal
Courthouse and EPA tower on “I” Street. Aesthetics like lighting are so
important now that our cities tiring to push forward a makeover of Capitol
Mall from the riverfront to 9th Street, let’s hope some lighting improvements
can be made in an effort to revamp the Malls future.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2758/nitecomp10.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/nitecomp10.jpg/)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6236/500cmatnight20091119.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/500cmatnight20091119.jpg/)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9740/500cmatnight200911191.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/500cmatnight200911191.jpg/)

downtownserg89
Nov 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
I still think the blue on those windows looks like poster tape that needs to get peeled off.

capitol mall needs to shrink those grass fields in the middle of the street, (whats it called, the median?) and maybe add like a dozen scattered tall skinny palm trees from the bridge to the capitol.

add bike lanes and a streetcar.

In the mean time, they should just put a park where the unfinshed towers rest.
a park with street vendors, souveniour booths, picnic tables w/shade, some kind of informative displays about the capitol's history, (ideal for fieldtrips!) maybe a cool gold bear fountain that changes colors at night? ideal for a place to walk to and be romantic after a dinner date at morton's.

a park like this by the bridge and embassy suites wouldn't hurt. I mean it'll just be grass, water and lights, and not an expensive high rise!

just my 2 cents on capitol mall :)

Majin
Nov 20, 2009, 7:17 PM
I'll pass on the palm trees, they look tacky.

downtownserg89
Nov 21, 2009, 12:05 AM
so you prefer a thick canopy of trees that'll block views instead of long tall skinny palm trees?

palm trees are "sooo california," and would be appropriate for capitol mall. but you know me, just giving my 20 cents, haha

Majin
Nov 21, 2009, 12:36 AM
so you prefer a thick canopy of trees that'll block views instead of long tall skinny palm trees?

palm trees are "sooo california," and would be appropriate for capitol mall. but you know me, just giving my 20 cents, haha

Of course not, I prefer no trees.

Palm trees are tacky southern california garbage. Lets keep the garbage down south, not try to replicate it up here.

Do you see streets lined with Palm trees in Manhattan or Tokyo? Those are cities we should be looking to for ideas, not LA.

downtownserg89
Nov 21, 2009, 1:32 AM
what's wrong with palm trees?

when people think of california they think palm trees and sunshine, so as the capitol of the palm tree and sunshine state, we should embrace what we're known for and not try to be like new york where there are no trees on the streets and tokyo which is like one big neon light, both the exact opposite of sac.

city of trees with no trees on capitol mall? (well at least on the grass fields in the middle of the street, which I feel dumb for forgetting what they're called.)

palm trees wont block any views, and would look nice in postcards.

normal trees will look hideous in the winter when they're naked, in the spring/summer they'll block views of the capitol, and in the fall dump hella orange leaves on capitol mall and will look TRASHY.

and imagine how cool capitol mall would look like if those tall palm trees had white xmas lights wrapped around them all the way to the top!

sometimes capitol mall is too dark. those lights would make it feel safer and look nice, IMO

Majin
Nov 21, 2009, 2:05 AM
As I said, I think palm trees look tacky, but that's just my opinion, you're free to have your own.

I'm not a big fan of the "city of trees" thing and I don't think it's as important as people make it out to be. Having a lot of trees doesn't really make cities attractive. Most popular urban centers are concrete jungles.

I think capitol mall (and most of downtown) needs a lot more lighting. It doesn't have to be Tokyo level but it definitely needs to go up a notch.

tronblue
Nov 21, 2009, 2:42 AM
Palm trees should not be planted anywhere in sacramento. Palm trees absorb more water than benefits they put out for one. They are a huge mess. And are tacky as all get out. I want to puke every time i see someone build one of these tuscan villa remodels and plant a bunch of stupid palm varieties in their yard. Palm trees are for disneyland and old peoples' retirement homes down south and in florida. California is a huge state is not all about palm trees. I assure our shrinking redwoods are more prevalent than palms. Sacramento valley is not about palm trees, no, it's about oaks, and even oaks are boring unless they are 50 years old. We don't surf here we don't hang out at the beach we don't need anymore palms. End of story

downtownserg89
Nov 21, 2009, 3:35 AM
woah I had no idea you guys felt so strongly against palm trees. I think the ones by the state capitol give it sort of an exotic touch. capitol park is a melting pot of trees, and as random as they are, I love them.

I suggested palm trees because they dont take up any space nor block views, and, well, they pretty much only work in california/hawaii. I cant imagine new york or the white house having palm trees, it just doesnt sound right.

I have family up in oregon that come visit every summer, and they're always like "oh cool, palm trees! thats how you know we're in california!" and they take pictures in front of them, its silly.

I think tourists and out of towners would get a kick out of palm trees in the center of capitol mall, especially if they lit up at night.

it's not just a socal thing, c'mon.

those strips of grass need something. if not palm trees, idk what else. pine trees? those tall trees that look like big sideways joints? a bunch of little skinny trees? random art sculptures?
??

Bob Lablaw
Nov 21, 2009, 3:37 AM
The only practical difference between palm trees and telephone poles is that one can string wires and tack event posters to the telephone poles.

Palm trees aren't even native to SoCal, but I'd prefer them there than here. They provide next to no shade and drop huge fronds and hideous seeds all over the place.

The only reason palm trees thrive here is the Mediterranean climate and the fact that they are easy to plant and one could get a mature-looking landscape within only a few years. The municipal parks planners knew this a century ago which is why we have them all around the Capital Park and other city public areas.

Korey
Nov 21, 2009, 5:23 AM
No palm trees on the Cap Mall median for sure

but...

I'm not a big fan of the "city of trees" thing and I don't think it's as important as people make it out to be.

No way man. I'd love to see a sactown skyline that could compete with Chicago but the trees definitely need to stay; they are one of my favorite things about our city. Maybe whenever we get the railyards and everything up north developed out you can get your barren concrete utopia.

Schmoe
Nov 21, 2009, 6:19 AM
You want to fix Capitol Mall? Get all the state agencies to move out.

State offices = dead zone. Period.

Korey
Nov 21, 2009, 5:03 PM
We would need some real businesses to replace them though, which we have little of :(

ltsmotorsport
Nov 21, 2009, 8:17 PM
You want to fix Capitol Mall? Get all the state agencies to move out.

State offices = dead zone. Period.

+1

The street car down the median will help a little though.

wburg
Nov 21, 2009, 10:11 PM
There are three species of palm that are native to California. Planting palms in northern California is hardly a new thing--as some have mentioned, it was done a century ago, and there are plenty of really old palms in downtown and midtown. Heck, you see them in Redding. I don't mind them, although I agree they can be overdone and there are much better choices for shade trees.

Offices are generally a dead zone at night, state or otherwise. The trick is to figure out ways to use that space after 5 PM--if it doesn't serve a function, people won't use it. The streetcar idea would at least return one transportation function to Capitol Mall, one that would be useful for visitors, workers and residents--assuming that the ends of the streetcar line are in the right places.

If the streetcar was free or trivially cheap (as it is in some cities that maintain a downtown "free zone") or at least encourage transfers or daily passes, it becomes very easy for people to get on and off if they see something interesting. If they have to pay another fare to get back on, riders are less likely to explore because it costs them money and effort to do so.

I am less convinced about having the streetcar down the median. Having the cars run along the edges of the street (the outside lane) would make boarding safer and move the overhead lines out of the way of the dramatic view of the capitol. Historically streetcars ran in the middle of the street, but they also dumped passengers out there, leaving them to the tender mercies of passing cars in the intersection! Of course, in many cases when the tracks were laid there were fewer (or no) cars.

downtownserg89
Nov 23, 2009, 12:24 PM
does the idea of housing on capitol mall still exist? or have we moved on since the brutal death of aura/the towers? that parkinglot where aura could have been has tons of potential..

CAN WE TALK J AND 10-11th???

any updates on the Metropolitan? it's not dead, right? I think if it gets built, it would help K street mall out a lot, as far as bringing people first, then the businesses goes.

Also, any word on the Cathedral lofts? those look cool, and would also help liven up the area a lot.

the area on J between 10th and 11th is ridiculously dead and incredibly scary at night. I'm surprised FTC and Yummy on J are still open!

oh and what's up with 20th and capitol? that empty lot on the corner that's fenced up and hideous has a sign with an amazing rendering of a really cool building, if memory serves me correct, it's supposed to be a tribute building? It's very artsy and modern, but I think that sign has been there for quite a while, and I just wanted to know if it's still gonna get built.

Korey
Nov 23, 2009, 7:32 PM
CAN WE TALK J AND 10-11th???

any updates on the Metropolitan? it's not dead, right? I think if it gets built, it would help K street mall out a lot, as far as bringing people first, then the businesses goes.

If its not dead it's in a coma. The buildings on the site are still up so I'll keep my hopes down until I see those gone. Shame, because the building would have been a great addition to downtown, clean design and pretty good height. Saca kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth though...

Also, any word on the Cathedral lofts? those look cool, and would also help liven up the area a lot.

The ones above Ella? Believe those are rented out apartments now.

That whole area has the possibility of being amazing, especially if 12th gets developed like it deserves (and was being discussed earlier in the thread).

oh and what's up with 20th and capitol? that empty lot on the corner that's fenced up and hideous has a sign with an amazing rendering of a really cool building, if memory serves me correct, it's supposed to be a tribute building? It's very artsy and modern, but I think that sign has been there for quite a while, and I just wanted to know if it's still gonna get built.

Heller's Tribute building; office/retail. I think it looks super cool too, hope it gets built. I like alot of Thiebaud's work so I'm digging the mosaic in the design. Haven't heard anything concrete about it since this past spring. Commercial financing (unless you're one of the big boys who has access to fed's pocketbook) has to be a bitch and a half right now.

We almost need to clean house and start another iteration of this thread, with a more updated list of whats going on, being planned, and in what stage of dev.

downtownserg89
Nov 23, 2009, 8:28 PM
Since I'm posting from my cell phone, I find it rather difficult to do the nifty quote thing without copy and paste, lol..

but um anywho, the Cathedral lofts aren't to be mistaken for the The Cathedral Building, which is the one on 12th & K with Ella. I believe the Cathedral lofts was a midrise 20 or so story building that is supposed to go on 11th & J, where Mother India is, (or i think it might be a mexican place now? i forget.)

cathedral lofts look pretty nifty and would add another cool place to live on J.

The Metropolitan needs to get built! I think it's supposed to be like 38 or 40 stories, which would make it the tallest building in Sac!

Tribute building on 20th & capitol also needs to happen. it would be something nice to look at while I inhale some urban fries from Jack's.

AM I CRAZY OR WAS THE I STREET BRIDGE SUPPOSED TO GET A MAKEOVER? I coulda sworn I read it somewhere on this forum back in '07.

speaking of bridges.. Broadway bridge, anyone? coma? dead? zygote? misscarriage?

snfenoc
Nov 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
It's really a question of financing for both The Metropolitan (38 stories - 10th & J) and Cathedral Square (25 stories - 11th & J). Can the developers (John Saca Cordano/St. Anton) get the money they need? It is gonna be tough. I have serious doubts.

The Metropolitan was approved for 190 condo units, 190 hotel rooms and ground floor retail after a long process (see William Kopper) in July, 2008. I believe that approval has an expiration - I'm not sure if it is 2 years or 3 years. Saca may have to get started by mid 2010 or 2011 if he doesn't want to go through the approval process again. Mayor Johnson seems to have a raging hardon about getting more hotels built down town, so I'm surprised that the Metropolitan hasn't been mentioned with the two K Street proposals. This may be a sign that the Metropolitan is going nowhere.

Here is a link to the old Metropolitan thread if you want to read a little more about it. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=133718

Last time I checked, Cathedral Square was approved, but it is on hold until St. Anton can get financing. I have a feeling it'll have to be downsized, or we will be waiting a long time.

Sadly, there just isn't any money (especially in Sacramento) to support these grand visions. I would set your sights lower. For example, I will consider it a huge victory if CADA can get its East End Gateway and Capitol Lofts projects built in the next 5 years.

snfenoc
Nov 23, 2009, 10:38 PM
Just found this article from Comstocks about JKL development. There is a blurb about The Metropolitan and Cathedral Square in there........not good.

http://www.comstocksmag.com/ArticlesContent.aspx?id=630

From Gritty to Groovy
Planners and developers plow ahead on K Street
by Christine Calvin | November 2009

City planners and private developers in Sacramento envision a downtown shopping and entertainment hub pulsing with revenue and pedestrians. The mind’s eye replaces vagrants with decorative park benches and rundown storefronts with shiny new facades. And rather than dispersing at sundown, restaurant patrons and theatergoers would linger into the wee hours.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way, but sometimes the when is the real kicker. The rejuvenation of J, K and L streets between 7th and 15th streets, referred to as the J-K-L corridor, has become a front-burner priority for Mayor Kevin Johnson. A number of projects have made progress the past few years — mostly on J and L streets — but K Street has had its share of setbacks, and currently there is little in the way of deadlines for near-future development.

In 2006 the Sacramento Redevelopment Agency issued a $100 million bond for downtown redevelopment. With some of that money, the agency purchased all of K Street’s 700 block and an “opportunity site” at 8th and K streets, according to Leslie Fritzsche, the Economic Development Department’s downtown manager.

The rehab history on K Street includes years of attempted land swaps, a fire and an eminent domain lawsuit, among others. Developer Joe Zeiden has owned the property at 708 K St. and 1111 7th St. for years, but a dispute mired in legal battles between Zeiden, the city and neighboring property owner Moe Mohanna has stalled development.

Zeiden, founder of the Z Gallery retail stores, has since raised his hand to develop 700 to 730 K St., and just before last October’s stock market tumble, the redevelopment agency locked in a $18.6 million deal with Mohanna and connected parties to develop nine properties.

It’s not much of an enviable task. This section of K Street — from about 7th to 12th streets — has a nearly 40 percent vacancy rate. Tack on the adjoining Westfield Mall where tenants only occupy about two-thirds of its storefront, and that’s a lot of retail to fill even in the best economy.

At an August meeting with Westfield LLC executives, Mayor Johnson expressed his aggravation at the company’s lack of investment in its downtown complex. And while the city can’t force Westfield to invest in or sell its property, the pressure is on for the company to come up with a sale or revitalization strategy.

“The challenge is the disparate pieces being bantered. K Street is really struggling, largely because there are so many stakeholders involved, and they are struggling in coming together and forming a consensus as to the overall brand direction: what they want K Street to be about,” says Michael Scott, a Folsom resident who is writing a book on the role downtowns play in civic connections. “Is it a retail destination? Is it an environment focused on downtown living? Should there be vehicular traffic, or should you capitalize on the proximity to light-rail?”

Even as K Street struggles, work has begun to transform neighboring J and L streets from gritty to groovy. The redevelopment agency is wooing a mix of local and national retail, restaurants, entertainment venues, residential developers and commercial interests. A streetscape plan includes paving, lighting and furnishings, which would be phased in.

In the spring, San Francisco nightclub operator George Karpaty is planning to open the doors at his three K Street bars and restaurants. One features an outdoor pizza oven and another boasts live mermaids.

Two other redevelopment projects along the J-K-L corridor have managed completion: the $6 million Firestone Building at 1531 L St., which houses the new de Vere’s Irish Pub among others; and the 500-room renovation at the Hyatt Regency.

Nearly a dozen other corridor projects have been enthusiastically discussed but are now sitting idle and disenchanted by budget cuts, indecision, downsizing and undefined completion goals.

Part of the struggle all along has been the divisive nature of project planning in Sacramento, says Kevin Greene, policy manager for the Downtown Sacramento Partnership. It’s not pretty, and public meetings are often rife with arguments and antiquated thinking.

“Politically, there isn’t a lot of support for redevelopment spending,” Greene says. “In certain parts of the state it’s been abused, and we’re in a budget crisis. It’s a lower priority than funding education and social services.”

As part of this year’s budget process, the redevelopment agency took a $9.22 million hit from the state, which grabbed the cash for its own needs, ostensibly eliminating redevelopment funding for the remainder of 2009 and the start of 2010.

It’s a blow that knocked the wind out of an otherwise motivated agency that’s trying to tout the tangible benefits of its efforts.

“We feel like redevelopment dollars have made a difference on K Street. It’s created about 1,000 jobs and generates about $6 for every $1 of private investment,” Fritzsche says. Since 1986 the redevelopment agency has spent more than $475 million in federal and local dollars on projects in the Merged Downtown Sacramento Redevelopment Project area — Front to 7th streets between I and R streets.

About $95 million of the $100 million bond has been spent on such projects as The Orleans in Old Sacramento, development of the Citizen Hotel, revamping the Crest Theatre marquis and renovating the Cosmopolitan café and cabaret. The remaining $5 million has been allocated to the 700 and 800 blocks of K and to the Sacramento Waterfront Promenade. The redevelopment agency will also borrow about $5 million from its affordable housing budget to account for what was relinquished to the state.

Meanwhile, a detoured private investment march continues. Two major hotel projects have been proposed for K Street, but planners surmise the market could support just one.

At the corner of 8th and K streets, Le Rivage developer Bob Leach is envisioning a 400-room full-service hotel and convention center. He has until the end of November to present Sacramento officials with a viable financing package to build the $136 million high rise.

Between 920 and 930 K Street, Jim Brennan and Tony Giannoni, the guys who developed the Marriott hotel at 15th and L streets, have proposed a new $43 million Courtyard by Marriott property. If approved, it could open in 2012. A couple of blocks away at 7th and L streets, the historic Marshall Hotel is being renovated as well.

“I am very aware of impacting our existing inventory, and we have been very careful about the type and size of this hotel,” Giannoni said at an October meeting with Downtown Sacramento Partnership’s Strategic Development Task Force. “This is a project that cannot take shape without city funding.”

The City Council will decide whether to approve either of the new hotel projects later this month.

“As for the 1100 block of J, that’s really our black eye. It’s the gateway to the city for those exiting Interstate 5. … It’s a dark, blighted block,” Greene says.

There is no financing for the area, he says, and the fully entitled Metropolitan project at 1001 J St., a planned 39-story mixed-use tower by Saca Development, is completely unfunded as well. The Cathedral Square condo project at 1010 L St., a proposed $250 million mixed-use high rise, has gone back to the drawing board of Sacramento-based St. Anton Partners, which is now considering downsizing the plan from 25 stories to something more feasible in the current market.

Meanwhile, oodles of money is being spent or set aside for consultants, surveys and reports, including a study to determine the ideal what and where for retail, an infrastructure study to assess the painful realities of developing around antiquated plumbing systems, a vehicle pilot study and a “downtown activation strategy.”

And while the money moves like molasses, developers balk and city leaders fuss, everyone seems to be doing it with an air of optimism. After all, the Citizen Hotel and Grange restaurant are bringing in rave reviews; regulars still flock to Temple coffee shop, Ella Dining Room and Bar and Esquire Grill. Things are happening on J-K-L; sometimes it’s just hard to recognize it over time. It’s something akin to waiting for water to boil.

“I’m a huge optimist. The infrastructure is in place. K Street is the epicenter of downtown Sacramento and if developed successfully could really serve as a catalyst for positioning Sacramento as a top-tier urban center,” Scott says. “But it may end up being that we hit a bottom in terms of our efforts before any regional traction begins to occur. It’s a shame in a capital city.”

wburg
Nov 24, 2009, 3:51 AM
I don't recall ever hearing anything about the I Street bridge getting a makeover, other than maybe someone here saying that they thought it should get one. Union Pacific owns the I Street bridge, normally they only replace things when they collapse or catch fire. The bridge may look rusty but it's sturdy as hell, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

downtownserg89
Nov 25, 2009, 2:09 AM
thanks for that, snfenoc. it was very informative! :)

so I was walking up 8th street towards K st, and I SAW CONSTRUCTION AND STUFF BEING ERECTED ON THE INFAMOUS 8TH & K FENCED LOT. i saw stacks of packaged material, i think a forklift, and erected pieces of steel, or something, about 6 feet tall or so... i think.. idk i didnt get up close.

so um yeah does this mean that hotel is officially being built??

finallyyyy gosh

wburg
Nov 25, 2009, 5:17 AM
No, the hotel is not being built. Otto Construction is using the site as a staging area for the work they are doing between 7th and 8th on K Street and St. Rose of Lima Park. Mohanna and Leach's exclusive right to negotiate with the city of Sacramento technically ran out today, and it wasn't on the City Council agenda tonight.

downtownserg89
Dec 2, 2009, 12:44 PM
figured random discussion/feedback is better than nothing..

- high rise on 15th & K, still gonna happen, right? I hope this one gets built. it looks pretty cool.

- I noticed some sort of rehabilitation taking place over on 15th & J, the MAYDESTONE building. (is that what it's called?) that apartment complex is on a great intersection, and if it was redone and and polished up, I would love to live there! would love to hear J street's busy noise taking place right outside my window.

- Is there anyway one of you guys can find out what's going to be done behind the new lightrail stop on 7th between K and L? I really can't imagine the city leaving that awkward alleyway that unattractive and beat up. I was thinking it'd be cool if they converted that nasty abandonned lot area into either:

a) a space with lots of seating for people waiting for LR, some table benches, plants/trees, waterfountains, and artsy murals on walls.

b) same stuff as above, only as a "pocket park" with trees/urban garden.

wburg
Dec 3, 2009, 6:22 AM
- high rise on 15th & K, still gonna happen, right? I hope this one gets built. it looks pretty cool.

- I noticed some sort of rehabilitation taking place over on 15th & J, the MAYDESTONE building. (is that what it's called?) that apartment complex is on a great intersection, and if it was redone and and polished up, I would love to live there! would love to hear J street's busy noise taking place right outside my window.

- Is there anyway one of you guys can find out what's going to be done behind the new lightrail stop on 7th between K and L? I really can't imagine the city leaving that awkward alleyway that unattractive and beat up. I was thinking it'd be cool if they converted that nasty abandonned lot area into either:

a) a space with lots of seating for people waiting for LR, some table benches, plants/trees, waterfountains, and artsy murals on walls.

b) same stuff as above, only as a "pocket park" with trees/urban garden.

15th and K is Meridian 3, they're waiting until money is available but I think it is fully entitled. I'm rooting for that one too.

Maydestone is being rehabbed by D&S Development, same folks who did the 14th & R project. They will be moderately affordable--not cheap enough for someone on Social Security but should be affordable for a low-level state employee or a retail worker. Parking will be limited but it would be great for someone who doesn't need a car.

I don't think anything is planned for the lot behind the new light rail station right now. That used to be a residential hotel (the Flagstone) and it is part of the half-block that the city bought to give to Joe Zeiden, whose business is, as I recall, bankrupt. So far if anyone has a plan for that area they aren't sharing it. Personally I'm hoping they will at least repair the stone panels on the building at the corner of 7th and K that got trashed when they were tearing open the sidewalks.

downtownserg89
Dec 3, 2009, 7:52 AM
Ah, that's good to know. The Meridian 3 would make that intersection a lot more interesting, and would bring a lot more business to Capitol Garage. (not that it's lacking it.)

Really glad to know the folks who did 14th & R are doing the Maydestone. That means it's gonna be good. I hope they repaint the exterrior.. Not a big fan of the dull shit brown it is. lol. I'm guessing it will be asbestos free and not toxic anymore? thats the only thing the scares me. otherwise, I would like to submit an application.

I would feel really let down if they leave that alley/lot behind the new lightrail stop untouched. it would make a great waiting zone where people can sit and wait, or just sit and hang out. the point is, something needs to be done to that space. at least plant some flowers there. i'onno.

speaking of 7th and L, whats up with the marshall building project? the loft makeover. still too soon to know if it's set in stone or what?

Schmoe
Dec 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
If Meridian 3 is built, where will the valets park my car when I go to The Park?

;)

Pistola916
Dec 4, 2009, 8:50 PM
I do hope Meredian II gets built. I saw that there were two drawings- one was boxy-looking and the other was slim - which of the two is being proposed?

Cynikal
Dec 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
If Meridian 3 is built, where will the valets park my car when I go to The Park?

;)

In the parking structure of Meridian II. There will be far more non-peak time capacity then there is now.

wburg
Dec 9, 2009, 4:00 PM
Bob Leach's 8th & K plan was going to be discussed at City Council last night, but it was taken off the agenda--the Exclusive Right to Negotiate will run out and a new request for proposals will be issued. This will include three plots: the 8th & K corner, vacant, the 8th & L corner, containing the Bel-Vue, a landmark, and two non-landmark buildings, and the 700 block of K, including the properties that were going to be given to Joe Zeiden, indicating that the buildings on the 700 block should be preserved in some form.

Anyone got some ideas and a piggybank?

Mr. Ozo
Dec 9, 2009, 7:14 PM
I've got plenty of ideas. Here's one: rehab the Bel-Vue apartments and put a smaller grocery store in 815 L. Have the city subsidize public transport on purchases of 25 dollars or more for the first 3 years.(Maybe) Much better (and cheaper) use of the space than a parking structure.

Surefiresacto
Dec 11, 2009, 5:21 PM
So the Bob Leach project is gone?

Sacramento Bee Friday, Dec. 11, 2009
By Dale Kasler

After spending $40 million in a tortured, four-year effort to gain control of two crucial blocks on K Street, the city of Sacramento finds itself launching a fresh search for someone to redevelop the woebegone site.

The new quest comes after a developer this week withdrew a proposal for a 25-story hotel tower that was supposed to anchor K Street's 800 block. The developer, Robert Leach, appeared to be having trouble nailing down his financing, said Leslie Fritzsche, the city's downtown development manager.

The search marks another twist in the city's protracted attempt to revive the two blocks – an effort that has been delayed by bankruptcy, a sour economy and a lengthy eminent domain fight with a major property owner.

Still, Fritzsche dismissed suggestions that the city must start from scratch. Though it took four years, the city now owns the properties, which makes their redevelopment more feasible than before, she said.

"What the process has allowed us to do is to assemble the properties under one ownership," she said. "That's a very marketable attribute."

Developers are already showing interest, although the search doesn't begin until the city releases its formal invitation today, she said. "We've heard from several people."

The city hopes to attract retail to the 700 block and offices or housing to the 800 block, she said.

Among those interested is Southern California retailer Joe Zeiden, who was supposed to redevelop the 700 block but got derailed by a bankruptcy proceeding involving his Z Gallerie furniture chain.

Fritzsche spoke with Zeiden on Thursday and he's interested "in taking another look at the 700 block," she said. Z Gallerie has emerged from Chapter 11 with the chain largely intact, including the store at nearby Downtown Plaza.

Dan Hilley, a spokesman for Zeiden, said he had no information on Zeiden's plans for K Street.

Zeiden's original plan was to move his store from Downtown Plaza to K Street to anchor an upscale shopping district. Letters of intent poured in from such trendy retailers as Urban Outfitters and Sur La Table.

But the entire K Street redevelopment lingered on the drawing board while the city spent four years trying to dislodge K Street property owner Moe Mohanna, eventually filing a court case to exercise eminent domain. A little over a year ago, the city settled the case by purchasing Mohanna's properties for $18.6 million.

In all, the city spent about $40 million buying property on the two blocks and relocating businesses.

Meanwhile, though, the hotel planned for the 800 block stalled as Leach scrambled to find financing for his 25-story tower.

Mohanna, who had relinquished title to the properties, initially remained as a partner in the Leach proposal, but on Thursday said he pulled out months ago.

Under his agreement with the city, Leach was supposed to have financing lined up in October 2008, according to Fritzsche. While he struggled, the City Council kept extending his deadline, he said.

At one point this summer, Leach told The Bee that he had found a South Korean firm, Consus Asset Management, willing to invest $91 million into the hotel and adjacent parking garage.

Ultimately, though, city officials concluded that Leach "did not have all of the details pulled together to move forward," Fritzsche said. Leach withdrew the proposal this week.

Leach, who developed the upscale Le Rivage hotel on the Sacramento River, couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

Web
Dec 11, 2009, 11:16 PM
So the Bob Leach project is gone?

Sacramento Bee Friday, Dec. 11, 2009
By Dale Kasler

After spending $40 million in a tortured, four-year effort to gain control of two crucial blocks on K Street, the city of Sacramento finds itself launching a fresh search for someone to redevelop the woebegone site.

In all, the city spent about $40 million buying property on the two blocks and relocating businesses.

At one point this summer, Leach told The Bee that he had found a South Korean firm, Consus Asset Management, willing to invest $91 million into the hotel and adjacent parking garage.

Ultimately, though, city officials concluded that Leach "did not have all of the details pulled together to move forward," Fritzsche said. Leach withdrew the proposal this week.

Leach, who developed the upscale Le Rivage hotel on the Sacramento River, couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

another developer in way over his head.....that south korean investor thing smelled from the onset.....I wonder if it actually was even a possibility or just a lie.......

ltsmotorsport
Dec 12, 2009, 2:35 AM
Yeah, a little ambitious in this market for someone trying his first project of this size. Throw Mohanna, a bad design, and requiring too much city money into the mix and this thing was doomed to fail. With all that being said though, I'm glad it didn't go through as planned. I'd rather wait for a well thought out plan to come along instead of an ok hotel with an enormous parking garage attached.

Dakotasteve66
Dec 15, 2009, 6:46 PM
While watching the end of the 6:30 am KCRA news this morning, the news crawl said that Kevin Johnson will have a "significant announcement" regarding Downtown Plaza. I haven't found any info on the KCRA website nor any other local news outlet. Anyone else see this or know of any other info?

Pistola916
Dec 15, 2009, 7:42 PM
^
A new thread has been posted regarding DTP. The mayor mentioned that Westfield is no longer a partner in the redevelopment plans.

Web
Dec 17, 2009, 2:26 AM
While watching the end of the 6:30 am KCRA news this morning, the news crawl said that Kevin Johnson will have a "significant announcement" regarding Downtown Plaza. I haven't found any info on the KCRA website nor any other local news outlet. Anyone else see this or know of any other info?

yeah since it was premature.....

wburg
Dec 17, 2009, 7:10 AM
Interesting what people call "redevelopment" these days. At one time it was a term used to describe replacing 19th century slums without running water with office buildings, now it is used to describe replacing moderately underperforming malls less than 20 years old with...well, we're not quite sure yet, but I'm sure it will be utterly wonderful!

Cynikal
Dec 17, 2009, 6:12 PM
I've never assumed that the Mayor's use of a work is ever really correct, especially with works like redevelopment or leadership. But he will use is over and over again with such frequency that no one really knows any more.

rampant_jwalker
Dec 23, 2009, 8:55 PM
Just for fun, here are some snapshots of the new housing complex on S street between Alhambra and 32nd street that I took walking along the light rail tracks the other day after work:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/jmlw84/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjAtMjAwOTEyMjEtMTY1M.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/jmlw84/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjEtMjAwOTEyMjEtMTY1M.jpg

If you get a chance to go look at it, you will see for yourself how big it is!

Majin
Dec 23, 2009, 9:16 PM
I took a look at that the other day actually, at night. It looks even better. It's an awesome infill project and the perfect scale for the alhambra blvd corridor. There needs to be a lot more infill projects like these.

ltsmotorsport
Dec 30, 2009, 1:07 AM
It does look really nice. Glad to see more infill/housing projects coming along.

Ghost of Econgrad
Jan 31, 2010, 10:40 PM
sacbee.com

This story is taken from Sacbee / Our Region

The Week Ahead: Five things that will shape the news in Our Region
Published Sunday, Jan. 31, 2010

TUESDAY

South Lake Tahoe reveals its redevelopment plans

What: South Lake Tahoe officials will update the El Dorado County Board of Supervisors on the city's redevelopment plans. The city has proposed a second redevelopment project area. Over the past 20 years, property taxes in the initial project area grew by 7.7 percent per year, City Manager David Jinkens said in a letter to the board. Of that growth, 5.4 percent occurred because of projects fostered by redevelopment, he said.

When: 9 a.m.

Where: Board of Supervisors meeting room, 330 Fair Lane, Building A, Placerville

TUESDAY

Sierra College will vote on $11 million in cuts

What: College trustees will vote on $11 million in budget cuts including eliminating automotive, construction and agriculture programs, six athletic teams and 35 employee positions.

When: 4 p.m.

Where: Dietrich Theatre at Sierra College, 5000 Rocklin Road, Rocklin

TUESDAY

Sacramento council will consider an independent budget analyst position

What: The Sacramento City Council will take a vote on Mayor Kevin Johnson's proposal to form an Independent Budget Analyst in the city. The council will either tell city staff to come back with an ordinance on the analyst position for possible council adoption, or will decide to put the proposal before the voters in June.

When: 6 p.m.

Where: First floor City Council Chambers, City Hall, 915 I St, Sacramento.

TUESDAY

Twin Rivers will discuss consolidating schools

What: The Twin Rivers Unified School District will hold a board meeting to discuss consolidating some schools into sixth-through-eighth-grade middle schools and kindergarten-through-eighth-grade elementary schools.

When: Open session begins at 6:30 p.m.

Where: The district office, 5115 Dudley Blvd., Bay A, North Highlands.

THURSDAY

El Dorado holds water and sewer rate hearing

What: The El Dorado Irrigation District will hold a hearing on proposed water and sewer rate increases. District officials announced last week that they are taking several steps to reduce this year's proposed increase from 35 percent to 18 percent. That would be followed by a 15 percent increase in 2011 and 5 percent increases each of the next three years. As of Friday, staff members said the district had received about 4,500 letters from customers opposing the rate increases. The district has approximately 42,000 water accounts and 21,000 sewer accounts. District spokeswoman Deanne Kloepfer said protests from more than 20,000 customers would be required to block the water rate increase and more than 10,000 to stop the sewer rate hike.

When: 6 p.m.

Where: El Dorado Adventist School gymnasium, 1900 Broadway, Placerville

tronblue
Feb 1, 2010, 6:45 AM
Sierra is such a mess. Los Rios Edu is looking at a +2% growth.

NikeFutbolero
Feb 2, 2010, 12:01 PM
Did you guys notice 500CM has the top, imma say 5 floors, were lit up red?

Korey
Feb 4, 2010, 3:22 AM
Yeah today as well, it's only the side facing Cap Mall but there's definitely some red lights in the top few floors.

CAGeoNerd
Feb 4, 2010, 4:50 AM
Hi all,

I've poked around on these forums a few times before but never bothered to register an account. Finally got around to it. Anyway, what's going on with high rise projects around here? Is anything being built or close to construction? I'm talking more than a dozen floors.. I've seen lots of proposals on here and many on hold, etc.. Is there anything going on right now? Anything with hope? Is 701 K st going to be built? Thanks for any info!

wburg
Feb 4, 2010, 6:04 AM
Lots in the planning stages waiting for the other shoe to drop, but nothing actually getting ready to build in the skyscraper department. Two office towers on Capitol Mll are just finishing up. Not familiar with any skyscraper plans for 701 K Street, wouldn't that be St. Rose of Lima Park?

CAGeoNerd
Feb 4, 2010, 5:31 PM
Lots in the planning stages waiting for the other shoe to drop, but nothing actually getting ready to build in the skyscraper department. Two office towers on Capitol Mll are just finishing up. Not familiar with any skyscraper plans for 701 K Street, wouldn't that be St. Rose of Lima Park?

Whoops, I meant 701 L St.. That high rise that they were going to build where the Greyhound Station currently is?

wburg
Feb 5, 2010, 2:18 AM
Whoops, I meant 701 L St.. That high rise that they were going to build where the Greyhound Station currently is?

The Greyhound station is still there, and pretty much will be until they have somewhere else to go, so the idea of replacing it with something else is at least that far off.

Ghost of Econgrad
Feb 5, 2010, 3:07 AM
Sacramento County cuts development fees in effort to spur building
rlewis@sacbee.com
Published Wednesday, Feb. 03, 2010

Call it a "mini stimulus."

That's what Sacramento County is effectively trying to do by lowering development fees and providing incentives to builders to spur growth.

On Tuesday, the Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a temporary reduction of development fees for building in the North Vineyard Station area with a 4-0 vote. Supervisor Roger Dickinson was absent.

The nearly 15 percent reduction in plan area fees should drop development costs by about $4,200 per unit, said Steve Pedretti, the county's engineering director. The reduction comes a week after the board approved increasing sewer credits for residential developments.

That credit lowered costs in new growth areas by about $6,500 per unit.

"We're trying to help," Pedretti said.

Several developers told officials if the county can find a way to lower fees by around $11,000 per unit, then the developers can get the financing to make the projects feasible, Pedretti said, explaining the rationale behind the recent moves. One developer is close to pulling 70 permits for residential development in North Vineyard Station south of Florin Road, he added. "It would be a godsend," Pedretti said.

The county has issued 184 single-family home building permits in the last 12 months. To put that in context, when the county issued 619 such permits just a couple years back, that was a 52-year low, Pedretti said.

The board approved suspending the annual increase in fees for all plan areas for another year in addition to the reduction for North Vineyard Station. The reduction of about $4,200 per unit from the total development fees of almost $80,000 per unit would be in place for two years, said Susan Goetz, manager of special district services.

That should give the county time to continue working with developers and other interests on a more comprehensive set of changes to development fees, Pedretti said. Officials have been working for the past year to lower fees.

Last week, the Board of Supervisors approved increasing the number of units eligible for sewer credits. Under the new policy, up to 100 single-family homes in a development will be eligible for the $6,500 sewer credit. Previously, only 15 units were eligible for a break.

SLO
Feb 6, 2010, 8:09 AM
development fees of almost $80,000 per unit ?? Is that right?

Awful....

wburg
Feb 6, 2010, 11:27 PM
development fees of almost $80,000 per unit ?? Is that right?

Awful....

Depends. How much does providing infrastructure actually cost the county? How much does it cost to provide services later vs. how much tax revenue the developed land provides?

Web
Feb 7, 2010, 2:05 AM
Depends. How much does providing infrastructure actually cost the county? How much does it cost to provide services later vs. how much tax revenue the developed land provides?

new infrastruture costs $$$$$ its have the developers pay up front or the homeowner directly as things are needed/.///....sorta pay early or pay late

assessment type districts etc.....:(

kamehameha
Feb 9, 2010, 12:47 AM
just two mid rises under construction right now the 10 storey anderson lucetti womens and childrens center and the 8 storey California lottery headquarters.

Majin
Feb 9, 2010, 4:17 AM
where are those being constructed?

Pistola916
Feb 9, 2010, 5:04 AM
where are those being constructed?

The Women and Children's Hospital is being built adjacent to Sutter General in Midtown. The renderings look nice.

Majin
Feb 9, 2010, 5:14 AM
Yeah but thats not 10 storys?

Pistola916
Feb 9, 2010, 7:23 AM
Yeah but thats not 10 storys?

It's about 8 stories.

kamehameha
Feb 9, 2010, 4:57 PM
according to the master project description it's a 10 storey building.

kamehameha
Feb 9, 2010, 5:19 PM
Sutter Medical Center Expansion

The Sutter Medical Center project has been making progress by installing exterior cladding and windows on the Sutter Medical Foundation building on 28th Street. At another construction site one block over, a deep hole is being prepared of the foundation of the Anderson Lucchetti Women's and Children's Center. This 10 story building expected to start rising out of the ground in the next six to nine months.

Majin
Feb 9, 2010, 7:39 PM
Ok, sorry, from the renders I recalled years back it looked like it was about 4 storys only. Anybody have a current rendering?

innov8
Feb 19, 2010, 4:49 PM
Friday, February 19, 2010

CIM Group to make play for K Street
Some suggest that it might also seek Downtown Plaza

Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw Staff writer
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2010/02/22/story1.html#

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7461/cimgroupholdongsdevelop.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/cimgroupholdongsdevelop.jpg/)

Institutional investors once fond of Sacramento real estate shunned the capital area as the recession deepened, with one notable exception — CIM Group Inc.

The Los Angeles-based company has made major commitments to downtown Sacramento as a developer, equity partner and investor as its peers have bolted to larger markets. And it appears CIM’s focus here will continue, given that the firm and partner David S. Taylor Interests Inc. plan to submit a development proposal for empty, city-owned parcels along the K Street corridor, according to Taylor Interests and the city.

Some say CIM is the most likely choice for a new owner of the Downtown Plaza, if mall owner Westfield Corp. decides to sell to facilitate Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson’s call for a more urban-oriented shopping plaza.

“It makes sense with their history for revitalization and desire for downtown to be lifted to higher visibility,” said Ellen Warner, vice president with Taylor Interests, which has partnered with CIM for several years. “I know they have a business relationship with senior management at Westfield.”

In fact, several parties said CIM was close to partnering with Westfield several years ago on an overhaul of the downtown mall, but negotiations did not come to fruition. They took place when the market for commercial real estate — and retail assets in particular — was much stronger.

But CIM is one of the few companies that fits the profile as a buyer. It has access to capital and experience developing urban retail. And, as shown by its investment of hundreds of millions of dollars into Sacramento, it could be the only company with a desire to do so.

“I know they have expressed interest in the past,” said Leslie Fritzsche, downtown development manager with the city of Sacramento, about the prospect of CIM becoming a player in the mall. “I don’t know what their current interest might be.”

The company’s principals typically do not respond to interview requests and made no exception for this article.

CalPERS’ dollars
The company’s contrarian position about the strength of Sacramento real estate could pay off if its major projects create synergy in the downtown core. CIM Group’s interests include the mixed-use apartment building at 800 J Street, a 26-story office building fronting Cesar Chavez Park, and partnerships in Sheraton Grand Hotel, the Cosmopolitan Theater and new nightclubs and restaurants on K Street. CIM and Taylor also are partners, along with Gerry Kamilos, in an arena proposal backed by the National Basketball Association.

One reason the company might be paying particular attention to Sacramento, Fritzsche said, is that the California Public Employees’ Retirement System is a major financial contributor. Based in Sacramento, CalPERS had $494 million in assets invested in CIM’s California urban real estate fund as of September and $299 million in assets with the company’s urban core real estate investment trust. Those investments have been among the best performing real estate assets for the nation’s largest public pension fund, gaining 14.2 percent and 6 percent, respectively, for the three-year period prior to Sept. 30, the latest figures available, according to a CalPERS report. Many of CalPERS’ other real estate investments posted negative returns.

CalPERS also has chosen CIM to lead development of the former “Towers” site on Capitol Mall and has committed $165 million to the project, though no progress has been made due to the sluggish real estate market.

“They’re the one institutional player that has a commitment to Sacramento, while everyone else has pulled back,” said a developer who requested anonymity while praising the competition. According to the developer, any Westfield deal could require a major commitment of public funds, perhaps on the order of $100 million.

Johnson has said he wants open streets and street-facing retail through the mall, and last year announced that Westfield was open to a sale to make that happen.

Westfield responded by saying it “has not received any offers to purchase Downtown Plaza and has not agreed to sell the property.” The company disagrees with Johnson’s view about the viability of a street grid through the mall, but said it would consider offers from qualified buyers.

“Until or unless such time as the city is able to verify its intentions for downtown and confirm how it intends to fund such initiatives, Westfield remains focused and committed to investing in the management, leasing and operations of our property,” its statement reads.

Whether or not CIM takes a serious run at the mall, its activity elsewhere has been noticed.

“It’s a good sign when you have a group like that interested in Sacramento wanting to buy an existing asset or build a project from the ground up,” said Bill Coyle, who leads the Sacramento office of Colliers International.

Others flee, but CIM stays
CIM kept investing while others moved on.

BRE Properties Inc. was one of several large owners of apartment properties who fled; the company made no secret that it preferred to take its chances in markets such as San Diego and Seattle and sold large apartment communities here largely to private investors.

Likewise, New York City-based financial services and retirement management firm TIAA-CREF late last year sold its downtown Sacramento assets, including the high-rise at 980 9th Street — formerly the U.S. Bank Plaza. CIM bought the building for slightly less than $100 million, about 38 percent less than the $159 million TIAA-CREF paid in 2005.

CIM hired Jones Lang LaSalle to manage the property and has rebranded it the “Park Tower,” playing off the location of Cesar Chavez Park that fronts the building. Referring to the building by its 9th Street address seemed out of place in Sacramento, where people are more accustomed to buildings named for the alphabetical street addresses or Capitol Mall, said Jason Goff of Jones Lang LaSalle. CIM has committed money to improving the building and restoring it to its former position, he said.

CIM Group organized in 1994 with a mission of riding the state’s “urban renaissance” and developing a portfolio of street retail and urban housing, office and mixed-use properties. It has helped develop Santa Monica’s Third Street Promenade, Old Pasadena, San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter, Hollywood Boulevard and downtown San Jose.

Its urban real estate fund now totals $676 million.

“It’s similar to their pattern in Los Angeles,” Fritzsche said of what CIM is doing here. “They look at clusters of activity. They see Sacramento as an area of opportunity.”

Nawlijispower
Feb 19, 2010, 5:35 PM
I saw that they were razing the old Golden 1 HQ off of 65th and Hwy50. Has Target made any annnoucements about what they are going to do with that site? Does anyone know whats going on?

innov8
Feb 20, 2010, 1:38 AM
Target expects to open a 135,000-square-foot store at 65th Street next
October. That store, which will be a remodel of the former Golden 1 Credit Union building.

SactownTom
Feb 20, 2010, 6:55 AM
It looks like the Target is moving forward and that the neighbors are not too happy with the scaled back plans.

http://rudyisnotsacramento.blogspot.com/2010/02/target-65th-street-go.html

I thought Target was pulling back on their projects in Sac, no?

BrianSac
Feb 20, 2010, 8:37 AM
I'm sure the Target will be heavily used. East Sac, Tahoe Park, Oak Park, Sac State area students, campus commons-howe ave-college greens area folks. I'm thrilled, now i don't have to go to the one on Broadway or West Sac! But the traffic will be horrible. They need to do something about the 65th st light rail crossing, either a bridge or underpass.

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/council/policies/files5125/Third%20design%20for%20new%20Target%20on%2065th%20Street%20-%20Sac%20Bee%20-%205.5.09.pdf

Korey
Feb 25, 2010, 4:06 PM
Looks like we might get some decent size infill if this starts up. I took out what I though was relevant from the article but link's there too.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/25/2562981/shallit-riverfront.html

A Southern California developer is planning to build nearly 1,000 homes on one of Sacramento's key infill sites, the Setzer Forest Products land near the foot of Broadway and Interstate 5.

San Diego-based Ranch Capital recently acquired 7 acres – for an undisclosed price – and obtained an option to buy the remaining 24 acres, says project manager Kevin Smith.

The company plans to build in four phases, completing the first 200 homes in about three years, then adding 200 more homes every few years as it acquires more land.

Preliminary plans call for "classic row houses" that will share a wall with an adjacent dwelling. Most will be offered for sale, but some may be rental units.

SactownTom
Feb 25, 2010, 4:46 PM
It sounds like that's going to be row housing.....and so close to the riverfront and downtown. Why not build denser in that area? Not the best use of that space.

Korey
Feb 25, 2010, 6:18 PM
True, but it should better than what's there. If they were talking about throwing rowhouses on the western side of 5, like in the Docks area, then I'd be pissed. Of course, I'll wait for the renders (if this even gets off the ground) before passing judgement; no way would I support suburban sprawl in disguise.

Hell, I'd like to see broadway extended across the river (Sutterville too while I'm in unicorn land), and some decent height get put in all along Broadway. Let's get a Tower Distict going.

Actually while I'm on this train of thought, I've always wished someone or a group of folks would get together and buy out the theater and get it cleaned up. Could be a good (better) focal point for the area.

Ahhh, I'm just rambling.

BrianSac
Feb 25, 2010, 6:55 PM
Actually while I'm on this train of thought, I've always wished someone or a group of folks would get together and buy out the theater and get it cleaned up. Could be a good (better) focal point for the area.

Ahhh, I'm just rambling.

I agree, I love that theater, but it is a disgrace inside.

Cynikal
Feb 25, 2010, 8:58 PM
But they had to pay for that big "Save the Tower" sign. There was nothing left for the interior./sarcasm

Ghost of Econgrad
Feb 25, 2010, 9:16 PM
Looks like we might get some decent size infill if this starts up. I took out what I though was relevant from the article but link's there too.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/25/2562981/shallit-riverfront.html

No one has a problem withh this?

"Preliminary plans call for "classic row houses" that will share a wall with an adjacent dwelling. Most will be offered for sale, but some may be rental units."

Above is from the article. Does this mean single 1 to 2 story units? I am glad for the infill, but if I am interpreting the above statement correctly, I would want more high rise or mid rise for that area...

Korey
Feb 26, 2010, 1:59 AM
Don't we all. I think we on this forum and especially in the Sac area have a problem with projects not being bold enough. Like Majin said in another thread, over his dead body would anything less than 40 floors be built on 3rd and Cap.

I don't think the market supports high rises in that area though. No way could they make back the cost of building units that would have to go for at least $300/sq ft.

That's actually the shitty catch 22 we have in this city. Should we support a dinky 5 story tower when we all want a 25 story one, or should we oppose projects unless they are those 25 story towers?

Hope I phrased that right, let me know if you guys don't get my drift.

Ghost of Econgrad
Feb 26, 2010, 2:08 AM
Don't we all. I think we on this forum and especially in the Sac area have a problem with projects not being bold enough. Like Majin said in another thread, over his dead body would anything less than 40 floors be built on 3rd and Cap.

I don't think the market supports high rises in that area though. No way could they make back the cost of building units that would have to go for at least $300/sq ft.

That's actually the shitty catch 22 we have in this city. Should we support a dinky 5 story tower when we all want a 25 story one, or should we oppose projects unless they are those 25 story towers?

Hope I phrased that right, let me know if you guys don't get my drift.

Majin and I agree on this, but we disagree on the reasons projects cost so much, as well as you and I. My answer to your question, We should oppose mediocre projects in the urban core. All of them. Easier said than done...maybe this area is away from what most people consider or want to be the urban core.

tronblue
Feb 26, 2010, 5:21 AM
I lived in a row house, so I'm biased here. Although when you live in an area that is all 3-5 stories, it creates its own appealing nature. This is diff. I get the height thing, but besides being vertically limited, what else really makes this mediocre? I mean, when i think Mediocre, I think of all that crappy filler you see squeezed in-between every victorian around town.

wburg
Feb 26, 2010, 5:57 AM
It seems like a poor spot for a residential neighborhood. It is located in between a housing project, Interstate 5, an industrial area, and Highway 50. Technically it is near the river, but you have to cross Interstate 5 to get there, through a couple blocks' worth of fuel tanks. There is almost no transit access, aside from a not-so-frequent bus up 5th, so you couldn't make it "transit-oriented." Right now the main neighborhood amenities are an Asian market, a couple of inexpensive restaurants, and the Towe Auto Museum.

Building something tall would alleviate some of these problems--a taller project would probably have some kind of retail component, and being up off the ground would provide river views, something row houses won't have.

I assume by "row houses" they mean more Lego-block projects along the lines of SoCap Lofts or Metro Square, three stories with a garage on the ground floor. They're cheap, but in neighborhoods like the central city they sell because they work like the existing building stock. In a neighborhood where you can walk, and where there is transit, and where there are things to walk to and see, they can work. In that particular corner, they will need a lot of help.

IF the Docks gets built out quickly, and IF the fuel tanks get closed down and moved to West Sac, and IF someone willing to clean up that mess builds something on the other side of I-5, and IF a Broadway bridge with a streetcar line gets built, and IF that end of Broadway picks up some retail uses and eyes on the street, that might be an okay place to put a residential neighborhood, aside from its proximity to I-5 and the housing projects. But that's an awful lot of if.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 26, 2010, 8:44 AM
Hell, I'd like to see broadway extended across the river (Sutterville too while I'm in unicorn land), and some decent height get put in all along Broadway. Let's get a Tower Distict going.

Yes, yes, and yes!

Has there been any recent/further talk on the Broadway bridge?

Ghost of Econgrad
Feb 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
I lived in a row house, so I'm biased here. Although when you live in an area that is all 3-5 stories, it creates its own appealing nature. This is diff. I get the height thing, but besides being vertically limited, what else really makes this mediocre? I mean, when i think Mediocre, I think of all that crappy filler you see squeezed in-between every victorian around town.

It just seems like squeezing in a compact suburb in an industrial area. A quick development for the quick buck with no long term appeal or value.
Maybe mediocre was not the best choice of words, how about "A second-rate plan"?

ltsmotorsport
Feb 26, 2010, 6:50 PM
I'd agree with that. Broadway needs to be intensified in use (higher density), no matter what Land Park has to say about it. ;)

Mr. Ozo
Feb 26, 2010, 11:01 PM
I also have a problem with filling in industrial land with suburb like residential housing. Industrial land near the urban core is just as important as housing.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 26, 2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but the plan is to move those uses over to West Sac at the port, along with the oil storage tanks, last I heard.

tronblue
Feb 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
"suburb like"? I think I was thinking of something else entirely.

kamehameha
Feb 26, 2010, 11:57 PM
The fuel storage tanks along the banks of the sacramento river will be moving to the southport area, near the port of west sacramento. Please see article below:

Friday, July 28, 2006
Proposed tank-farm move would open land, help portSacramento Business Journal - by Mike McCarthy, Celia Lamb and Melanie Turner Staff writers
PrintEmailReprintsRSS FeedsLinkedInShareCommentsSponsored by
Send this story to a friend Email address of friend (insert comma between multiple addresses): Your email address: Add a brief note:
Enter words from the security image above: Get new image | Image verificationAudio verification | reCAPTCHA™

Sacramento oil magnate Roy Wickland wants the four gasoline-storage operations on the banks of the Sacramento River to be consolidated into a $50 million tank farm he would build at the Port of Sacramento.

If his plan comes together, it could speed redevelopment of the riverfronts in Sacramento and West Sacramento. But it's early in the game and none of the oil companies that operate the present tank farms have agreed to the plan -- or, in at least one case, even heard of it.

The project would eliminate 49 tanks now blighting both riversides. The tanks are located near Miller Park in Sacramento and in West Sacramento's Pioneer Bluffs area, just south of the Pioneer Bridge. The 37 acres the tanks occupy could eventually be redeveloped into mixed-use communities, parks and trails, as called for in the Sacramento Riverfront Master Plan created by the twin cities.

With the tanks gone, the municipalities also would be free to push ahead with plans for a vehicle-and-pedestrian bridge over the river between Pioneer Bluffs and the area known as The Docks.

Wickland, president of Wickland Pipelines LLC, and Dan Hall, president of Wickland Oil Co., have formed SacPort Regional Terminal LLC. The new company planned to submit a proposal to the city of West Sacramento on Friday to allow the construction of the facility on 20 acres within the port. The group has already negotiated an agreement with the port to lease the parcel for 49 years.

The company would pay the port about $500,000 a year in rent and fees -- $24.5 million over the term of the lease. About the same amount in property taxes would go to the city and Yolo County annually, Wickland said.

The cash-strapped port wants to do the deal because of the revenue, said port manager Mike Luken.

"We approved an exclusive negotiating agreement with them, which essentially locks in the property to Wickland so we won't negotiate with someone else," he said. "We have yet to strike a final agreement on the terms of that lease," and any lease would have to be approved.

New site on old pipeline
Wickland said the new facility would consist of 16 storage tanks. Fuel would be shipped to the tanks from Bay Area refineries via an existing gas and diesel fuel pipeline owned by energy transporter Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP. That pipeline now serves three of the storage-tank farms. The fourth, owned by Chevron Corp. (NYSE: CVX), has its own.

On the Sacramento side of the river, Chevron and ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP) own adjacent tank farms at the west end of Broadway, just south of Pioneer Bridge and on the edge of Miller Park. Together, they occupy 19.2 acres.

Shell Oil Co. and BP plc (NYSE: BP) own adjacent operations on the West Sacramento side, on South River Road across the river from Miller Park. Their parcels together occupy 17.8 acres.

The four companies, Wickland said, would benefit from the improved logistics of operating out of a central, shared facility. Still not settled, however, is whether the four would agree to move.

"That's the biggest challenge, convincing them that it's in their best interests to relocate," Wickland said. The companies, he noted, have little or no expansion space at the current locations.

The oil companies have owned the sites for years, and may not want to move to a rented facility.

Chevron Corp. spokesman Matt Lonner said his company has no plans to move. "It operates really well and it's ideally suited to meet the needs of the company and its customers," he said. Chevron has had no contact for years with anyone proposing the port terminal, he added.

"The prospects of moving a terminal, including the moving of pipelines, are complex," he said. "It's a substantial capital cost. There's no proposal in front of us."

Smack dab in the middle
Wickland said the new tank farm would help regional air quality, because its 16 tanks would generate 50 percent less air pollution than the present tanks, and would be engineered to better stem leakage.

The new facility could hold 1.2 million barrels, compared to the 900,000-barrel capacity of the existing tank farms.

But his biggest ace in the hole is the desire of both cities to see the tanks gone so the riverfronts can be fully developed. In both towns, the tanks are in the path of planned development, said Wendy Hoyt, owner of The Hoyt Co., the development consultant for the project.

In Sacramento, officials are working with Kenwood Investments to create a mixed-use community in the Docks area, just north of the Chevron and Conoco-Phillips sites. Both tank sites are part of the Docks planning area.

Ghost of Econgrad
Feb 28, 2010, 12:17 AM
"suburb like"? I think I was thinking of something else entirely.

That was my interpretation from the article and mine alone. Please excuse any misunderstandings, I was not trying to reiterate your post whatsoever. :)

I think that's great they are moving the tanks, it is still a slight downer the plan doesn't have taller buildings (as I stated above).

kamehameha
Feb 28, 2010, 12:34 AM
residential high rises are not feasible in sacramento at the moment. very expensive to build and to maintain. Single family homes are very cheap and abundant. I dont think we will see tall condos anytime soon around the region. the closest one to a ground breaking is the 25 story riverfront condo in West Sac right next to the ziggurat by Fairfield Residential LLC but even this one is on hold indefinitely. The developer completed the building permit process and the lot is vacant, ready to build, shovel ready and no demolition needed.

Ghost of Econgrad
Mar 1, 2010, 8:52 PM
residential high rises are not feasible in sacramento at the moment. very expensive to build and to maintain. Single family homes are very cheap and abundant. I dont think we will see tall condos anytime soon around the region. the closest one to a ground breaking is the 25 story riverfront condo in West Sac right next to the ziggurat by Fairfield Residential LLC but even this one is on hold indefinitely. The developer completed the building permit process and the lot is vacant, ready to build, shovel ready and no demolition needed.

And we should be asking ourselves "Why!?" Why are they not feasible? If we want a strong urban core, why are we not doing what is necessary to make one? Instead of just accepting Sacramento's mediocre status quo, we should be asking why and pushing for answers and results, or we will continue to be Stockton's big brother, and people will continue to use the term "The City" for San Francisco.

Ghost of Econgrad
Mar 1, 2010, 10:57 PM
Sacramento Hotel Opens Unique New Meeting Room Near Cal Expo

Sacramento hotel meeting room offers business travelers a unique, productivity-inducing work space

Sacramento, CA (PRWEB) February 27, 2010 -- Spacious hotel suites and now a new top-floor meeting room make the TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo the perfect choice for extended-stay travelers in the Sacramento area. Now, with the availability of unique state-of-the-art hotel meeting space, Sacramento extended-stay guests have everything they need to meet their needs for productivity and inspiration. Conveniently located next to Cal Expo, hotel deals at the Marriott's TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo hotel are more appealing with the availability of on-site meeting space as it enhances the overall value of the hotel property for meetings that may last for multiple days.

Sacramento Meeting Rooms
Sacramento Meeting Rooms
"The TownePlace team is very excited about our new meeting room and what it has to offer," expressed General Manager Terry Park. "With the multiple selections of hotels in this area, it helps us to offer a more complete solution for anyone's stay. We're excited to offer such a unique and productivity-inspiring space."

Located on the hotel's top floor, the new 800 square-foot meeting room seats 50 theater-style; 45 in a classroom setting and 40 for banquets. The meeting space is fully equipped with a 52" LCD TV/monitor, floor outlets and wireless/Ethernet Internet access. The hotel also has a full selection of audio-visual equipment available to rent and catering is available for breakfast and lunch gatherings. The unique top floor location is popular among business meeting rooms for rent in Sacramento as it offers exquisite lighting, both natural and incandescent.

In offering one of the area's newest meeting rooms, Sacramento's TownePlace Suites becomes an even more attractive destination for extended-stay travelers. The hotel boasts spacious suites with convenient access to major destinations in the Sacramento area, including the California State Capital, Old Town Sacramento and Sacramento State University. Situated on Business I-80, guests also have easy access to the nearby communities of Roseville, Rancho Cordova, Cherry Island, Folsom and West Sacramento. The TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo hotel offers four different floor plans ranging from simple studios to two-bedroom suites to best meet the needs of its guests. All suites offer luxury bedding and king or queen sized beds and sound proof windows to ensure every opportunity for a good night's rest. Each suite also has a full kitchen, complimentary Internet access, cable/satellite tv, premium movie channels and pay-per-view movies. All suites have a separate sitting area, a well-lit work desk and access to personalized voice mail.

Pet-friendly, the TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo hotel features neighborhood-style living with an outdoor pool, whirlpool and on-site exercise room. For recreation, the hotel is located near the popular Raging Waters fun park and there are five Sacramento golf courses nearby. The hotel provides guests with complimentary on-site parking and shuttle service to and from local offices is provided Monday through Friday.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/02/prweb3654604.htm

innov8
Mar 4, 2010, 4:16 PM
Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Four projects submitted for K Street
Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw Staff writer
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2010/03/01/daily24.html

Four development teams have responded to the city of Sacramento’s request seeking qualifications to develop portions of the 700 and 800 blocks of K Street owned by the city, which sought a “concept” level idea of what could be developed on the blocks, city officials said Tuesday.

The deadline for submittals was Friday.

The qualifications for each team will be evaluated by a selection committee consisting of city staff and private parties starting March 15, and more detail about each proposal will be released to the public following that initial review.

All four teams interested in developing on K Street have a history of development within the Sacramento area.

The teams are:

• Rubicon Partners, developer of The Citizen hotel, which teamed up with Vitae Architecture Inc., affordable-housing developer St. Anton Partners and the restaurant group that operates the Grange restaurant at The Citizen.

• David S. Taylor Interests Inc. and CIM Group, which have redeveloped other areas of K Street. They have teamed with Joe Zeiden of the Z Gallerie who had initially proposed a development on the 700 block. The team also includes housing developer Domus Development.

• Bridge Housing, an affordable developer from San Francisco that’s been involved in major projects in the Sacramento region. Bridge’s team also includes commercial developer Saca Development, which had proposed the Towers project on Capitol Mall, and Bagatelos Development.

• D&S Development, an infill developer that has done projects around Sacramento, most recently at 14th and R streets. The company has teamed up with CFY Development Inc., headed by Cyrus Youssefi, on this project.

SacDTRes
Mar 17, 2010, 9:36 PM
I recieved this email from councilman Tretheway this afternoon. If you are interested in the K Street Developments, it would be good to attend.

We are in an exciting time for the future of Downtown Sacramento. The City recently received four proposals for development on the 700 and 800 Blocks of K and L streets, three of which included both the 700 and 800 blocks of K and L Street and one proposal that only included the 700 Block of K Street.

I hope that you can join the myself and the City's Department of Economic Development for a public presentation of these proposals on Monday, March 22 at 5:30 PM at Historic City Hall, located at 915 I Street in Downtown Sacramento.

Majin
Mar 17, 2010, 9:53 PM
If it's not a skyscraper I'm not interested.