PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

urban_encounter
Feb 11, 2008, 9:56 PM
The thing she doesn't mention is that as currently proposed, the tower is well within the view corridors height restrictions. They are only more strict on 11th street which the dome is actually lined up with.

Visual proof from the city itself.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2118/2259059298_39c52f539e_o.gif

These three are obviously trying to put they're spin on it, saying they are protecting everyone's view, but city hall is the only building that would be blocked. I hate politicians.

Notice how she said "you just don't get it"

What she's really saying is that you're too stupid and you should listen to her, because she intends to stay there a long time..

In my letter i pointed out to her that they're arogant and selfish..

(i'm not expecting a response)

econgrad
Feb 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Austin Texas also has a Capital View Corridor with height and size regulations, so buildings do not obstruct the views of the capital there as well.

innov8
Feb 11, 2008, 11:10 PM
I also shot off an email to our height restricted challenged Council Members
and the Mayor. It's hard to believe this fuss is all about preserving "their view"
of the Capitol... things need to be shaken up at City Hall, these people are clueless.

Majin
Feb 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
Hopefully we can shake them out of a job.

urban_encounter
Feb 12, 2008, 1:39 AM
I also shot off an email to our height restricted challenged Council Members and the Mayor. It's hard to believe this fuss is all about preserving "their view"
of the Capitol... things need to be shaken up at City Hall, these people are clueless.

Might I suggest you mail her a link to or a copy of the Capitol View Protection Corridor?

Evidently she hasn't read it..

<update> Never mind I sent her the above capitol view protection corridor above..

JeffZurn
Feb 12, 2008, 3:51 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2118/2259059298_39c52f539e_o.gif

Is that pink building on the left suppose to be Epic?

ltsmotorsport
Feb 12, 2008, 5:34 PM
Yeah. That woulda been its profile in the skyline with Cal EPA and the Metro flanking it.

innov8
Feb 12, 2008, 7:27 PM
Dear Mr. innov8:

Lisa Heyamoto completely misstated my concerns about the Metropolitan
project. Since I did not attend the meeting in question and have never
spoken to her or anyone else publicly about this project, she should not
have included me in her article in the first place. I told City staff
and the developer from the beginning that I want the building stepped
back from the corner to maintain the view of the Cathedral from Plaza
Park. I don't care how high the building is, just that it step back from
the corner. I might add that the property is the City's, so we have a
right to make demands on how the building is designed that are different
from what we would expect in a pure regulatory capacity.

Steve Cohn

_____

This sounds pretty rich to me... now its the Cathedral Cohn wants to see
from the park. I'm not buying it, sounds like their tring to get the focus off the Capitol.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 12, 2008, 7:40 PM
Wasn't there a view somewhere showing that it wouldn't block the view of the Cathedral from the park anyway? And if it would, it wouldn't be more than what the current buildings do now. The only place I could think would be the corner near Cal EPA, which would be blocked by that monstrous parking garage already.

Dakotasteve66
Feb 12, 2008, 9:12 PM
I went back to listen to the January 8th city council meeting where the Metropolitan design was being discussed. And it is true that Councilman Cohn was not present at that meeting. However, Mayor Fargo said that Councilman Cohn had spoke to her about his several concerns regarding the design, one of which was that the "view from city hall to the capitol" would be blocked. And Mayor Fargo agreed with that concern.

So, although it was the Mayor that spoke publicly on behalf of Councilman Cohn, I don't believe that Lisa Heyamoto misstated his opinions. The only argument that Councilman Cohn might have is that Mayor Fargo misstated his opinions, or too heavily weighted his several design concerns towards the view from city hall to the capitol being blocked.

The Mayor also stated that the "city still owns a portion of the site which they haven't yet agreed to sell". I'm not sure how that plays into Councilman Cohn's statements. If the city sells their portion, it seems like Saca would be on the same ground as everyone else when it comes to design. If the city doesn't sell, then the city might want to have some say in the design but it should be from a taxpayer stand point (make the project something that benefits taxpayers instead of benefiting councilmembers' views).

I will say that Mayor Fargo did expand on some of her concerns, specifically that the project didn't fit well with other buildings in the area, that it wasn't pedestrian friendly and that it didn't fit well next to Ceasar Chavez park. On those type of comments, I have no problem.

But Lauren Hammond's comment, which was the one that originally caught my ire the night of the council meeting, was: "and I wouldn't be happy to have my view blocked from my office south". How could a councilmember be more self centered on this topic than that statement?

friedpez
Feb 12, 2008, 10:27 PM
Notice how she said "you just don't get it"

What she's really saying is that you're too stupid and you should listen to her, because she intends to stay there a long time..

In my letter i pointed out to her that they're arogant and selfish..

(i'm not expecting a response)

Someone should send these back-and-forths between the forumers and Council to the Sacramento Bee. Maybe they'll get published, everyone can see how short-sighted and arrogant the council is, and vote in new people. I think it's pretty unprofessional for an elected official to tell the people who were supposedly smart enough to vote them in that they "just don't get it." Well, there's one thing we do get, and that's that we need new people running the city.

Majin
Feb 12, 2008, 10:45 PM
VERY good idea. We should get these correspondances to the Bee ASAP.

urban_encounter
Feb 13, 2008, 3:17 AM
Dear Mr. innov8:

Steve Cohn

_____

This sounds pretty rich to me... now its the Cathedral Cohn wants to see
from the park. I'm not buying it, sounds like their tring to get the focus off the Capitol.

He wrote me (and who knows how many other people) the same generic letter.

Here was my response:

Councilman Cohn

Either you are not being truthful or Mayor Fargo lied when she repeated your comments for public record.

On January 8th during the City Council meeting at 6:20 p.m. Mayor Fargo stated:

"Let me go ahead and put on the record the concerns Mr. Cohn raised to me. I'm not sure Ray if he raised different concerns to you?

"Mr Cohn has a number of different concerns about design; he would like it to go back through the design commission. One of his concerns, I think there are others is that because the building is built the way it is right up to the corner that the view that we have from city hall of the capitol will no longer exist once this building is built. He has a concern about that, which I think it's probably valid. I enjoy looking at the capitol as well."---Mayor Heather Fargo

http://sacramento.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=8&clip_id=1458

So either you asked Mayor Fargo to state your comments for public record, she lied, or you're not being truthful now???

Lisa Heyamoto did not "completely" misstate your concerns about the Metropolitan
project, since (thanks to Mayor Fargo) they are a part of the public record.

Might i suggest that you take the matter up with Mayor Fargo..?

And in regards to the property at 10th and J street belonging to the city; (that means the people of Sacramento Mr. Cohn, not you personally.) I would suspect that most residents are more interested in seeing a quality high density residential project built on that site as opposed to a vacant parcel, which will continue to a negative impact on Sacramento's Civic Center.

urban_encounter
Feb 13, 2008, 3:19 AM
Oh and for good measure I cc'd Lisa Heyamoto and Mayor Fargo

urban_encounter
Feb 13, 2008, 3:24 AM
"I would probably not be happy to have my view blocked. Especially from my office south"—Lauren Hammond 6:30 p.m. 1/8/08

innov8
Feb 13, 2008, 4:12 AM
Yeah, you got some good ones there Jim.

Here's my back and forth between Hammond and myself.

Me: Dear Coucilmember Hammond,

Why are you, the Mayor and several other Council members making it difficult for John Saca to build his proposed Metropolitan Tower at 10th and J Street. From what I understand, you guys are now asking him to send his proposal back though committees requiring additional changes to the design and in it's height requiring setbacks. It's hard to believe that you and the City Council want housing downtown when you change the rules long after a project has meet the cities entitlements needs for your own personal agenda.

The Metropolitan proposal doe's not sit within any of the cities current View Corridors blocks (see attachment). Your personal agenda to prevent your view of the Capitol from being obstructed is selfish and not thinking of the cities growths as a whole.

Please reconsider your objections to John Saca's Metropolitan proposal, it currently meets all entitlements needed for the project to move forward.

Thank you,

innov8

Hammond: innov8,

This is the answer I gave C*** V*********:

There is nothing wrong with protecting the Capitol view corridor. The
view is for everyone. Mr. Saca can use a stepped back approach to his J
Street proposal.

I personally would appreciate John completing the other projects in the
city (like in my district) that he started 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing.

Lauren

Me: Thanks for getting back to me... who is C*** V*********?

The proposal is not in the Capitol view corridor... that's my point. You said on January 8th (I watched it online again) that "and I wouldn't be happy to have my view blocked from my office south" when talking about your view from your office of the Capitol Dome. It all sounds really self centered about what you want instead of what's best for the city which is more housing downtown. I hope you guys don't kill this project... changing the rules when the project is 99% though the approval process is disingenuous and a bad precedent to set for future proposals.

-innov8

Hammond: C*** wrote a similar email. I did explain my view to Saca's
representatives before they submitted their plans. They laughed.

I can only imagine how my comments sounded. My sense of humor is
sometimes misunderstood. The view is for everyone!!!

Lauren

Web
Feb 13, 2008, 4:29 AM
Reading about filcos troubles tells me that any development probably isnt gonna happen.

and the hole at 3rd and cap is still a big swimming pool.......saca has been given too many atta boys......

Who says he can even get this one going??

and for the record.....Nassi is still laughing...

Majin
Feb 13, 2008, 4:31 AM
Someone compile all of these back and forths and send them to the bee.

innov8
Feb 13, 2008, 4:34 AM
Always helpful Web :rolleyes:

This has more to do with principle and how our current city council works or
doe's not work than anything else at this point. The point is, a few council people
and the mayor want to preserve there view more than anything else, but they
waited till the last minute to make a stand.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 13, 2008, 4:57 AM
but theywaited till the last minute to make a stand.

What better way to kill a project. :rolleyes: :hell:

friedpez
Feb 13, 2008, 5:06 AM
Funny how Hammond wrote "[t]he view is for everyone."

Trust me, it takes at least two levels of security clearance to even get beyond to the 5th floor of city hall. I'm surprised the council hasn't spoken of tearing down Historic City Hall because it blocks their view of Cesar Chavez Park! And for that matter, they might as well ask Joie de Vivre to move the Citizen Hotel back a few feet because it, too, is flush against 10th Street.

friedpez
Feb 13, 2008, 5:13 AM
PS: If any of these comments to make it to the Bee, it'd probably be best to not mention that we gather on the SkyscraperPage forum, because then they'll most likely think our opinions are of a small minority that's unrepresentative of the general Sacramento population. It would be better to try to seem as much like the "average concerned citizen" as possible.

urban_encounter
Feb 13, 2008, 5:27 AM
PS: If any of these comments to make it to the Bee, it'd probably be best to not mention that we gather on the SkyscraperPage forum, because then they'll most likely think our opinions are of a small minority that's unrepresentative of the general Sacramento population. It would be better to try to seem as much like the "average concerned citizen" as possible.

If you read the Bee comments, you know that the feelings stacked up against this council are universal, or so it appears.

Nimbys and smart growth advocates alike agree this council isn't working.

Majin
Feb 13, 2008, 10:53 PM
I compiled all of the back and forths and sent them to Bob Shallit.

urban_encounter
Feb 14, 2008, 5:25 AM
I compiled all of the back and forths and sent them to Bob Shallit.

Why??

Bob Shallit is already a forum member of SSP, so he may already be aware.

Lastly this isn't a SSP Sacramento forumers vs. Sacramento City Hall.

The Bee story was origionally written by Lisa Heyamoto and Cohn basically called her a liar (when in fact he wasn't being truthful)..

If there's any story here it's that Cohn is calling her a liar when his comments are public record.

Majin
Feb 14, 2008, 6:35 AM
I don't intend for this to be SSP vs City Hall but I do intend to make this the citizens for progress (SCFRG or whatever we want to call it) vs City Hall. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, we are at war. If they stay in power, we all lose. The city council is being irresponsible with their power and I think it's in our best interests to encourage more negative press about it.

If Bob Shallit is already a member of these forums and follows the threads the worst i've done is told him information he already knows.

innov8
Feb 15, 2008, 5:22 PM
After I got this email back from Counsel member Cohn I shot this email back
to him... I seriously wonder how much time he has actually spent in the park?

Dear Mr. innov8:

Steve Cohn

Thank you Steve for getting back to me.

On my lunch today I walked over to the park to take a look at the Cathedral
view that would be hidden if the Metropolitan were built. I noticed that the
tall steeple was visible with or without the Metropolitan being built... it sits
right out there when in the plaza. The lower portion of of Cathedral (the big
dome) would be hidden if the Metropolitan were built... but then I noticed
that I could barley make it out right now anyway because of the trees in the
way blocking the view.

So you argument that the Metropolitan would block the Cathedral view is
flawed because there are already trees blocking the view... trees in the
park. Unless you propose cutting down the trees, it seems odd to ask for a
building to be changed for a view that would still be blocked by trees.

Please reconsider your objections to Metropolitan proposal.

innov8
Feb 15, 2008, 10:43 PM
Old Sacramento hotels rise again (as offices)

Scurfield to pull permits in a month or two on re-creation of former Ebner and Empire hotels

Friday, February 15, 2008
Sacramento Business Journal - by Mark Anderson

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3074/1107464000kz0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The Orleans Hotel is a former hotel being rebuilt as a mixed-use project
near the former Ebner and Empire hotels in Old Sacramento.

The Scurfield Co. and Carson Development are putting plans through the city for their new building, a re-creation of the historic Ebner and Empire hotels.

Old Sacramento's newest hotel could begin construction in a matter of months.

The $6 million project could begin construction in the spring. The building, along with the ongoing construction of the Orleans Hotel site on 2nd Street, will fill two of the four large vacant lots in Old Sacramento, the historic district that is the region's top tourism draw.

Fifty-three of the buildings in Old Sacramento are on the National Register of Historic Places. Any new building has to blend in with the neighborhood, which dates back to the 1850s.

The Ebner/Empire building will be a single structure made to look like the two neighboring historic hotels. Both buildings have been gone for years. The Empire Hotel collapsed many decades ago. The city tried to save the Ebner, but with its crumbling walls and unsafe foundation, the city eventually had to tear down its hulking shell five years ago to keep it from collapsing onto neighboring buildings.

The new building will be at 116 and 118 K St. in the center of the historic district.

New building, same look
The Ebner/Empire will have street-level retail and professional offices on its two upper floors, said Dave Scurfield, owner of the Scurfield Co., a property management company.

The new building will look like the originals, with balconies over K Street, and all the flourishes of the old structures. The 24,000-square-foot building will likely be home to a large restaurant and another smaller retail space, Scurfield said. The two upper floors will be Class A office space.

"We can't get quite the rates the downtown buildings get, but there are a lot of people who want to be in the historic district," he said. "Our other buildings down there have done quite well with law firms."

After a variety of delays, the Ebner/Empire project is now moving along nicely, said Sheri Smith, project manager with the city's Downtown Development Group. The building had run into some issues with the soils in the area. They are less stable than previously believed, so the footings for the foundation had to be redesigned. The building is also only a block from the river, so water tables are a concern.

The developer should be able to submit for entitlements in a month or so and building permits soon afterward. Smith said the Ebner/Empire could be under construction in a couple of months. More than half the cost of the Ebner/Empire, about $3.3 million, is coming from the city.

Orleans rises
On the next block, at 1022 2nd St., business owner Lloyd Harvego is finishing up his $12 million building that will be a re-creation of the former Orleans Hotel. The building will have ground-floor retail and three stories of apartments.

Harvego said he's on track to complete his building in July. About half the cost of the reconstruction on the Orleans is being subsidized by the city.

The city since the 1960s has been maintaining and developing the historic district. Old Sacramento, once a seedy skid row, now draws millions of visitors each year. The city in 2003 went looking for replacement buildings to fill four vacant lots in the historic district. Any projects have to be historically accurate to what was built on the site, and construction has to be handled delicately because many of the neighboring buildings are more than 150 years old.

So far, the only people willing to take on the task are those already there. Scurfield owns and manages several buildings in the district, and Harvego owns the Firehouse restaurant and the 1853 historic fire station that houses it.

"It's good to see we're finally making some progress," Harvego said. "The Ebner is a good site, and having a building there will make it a nicer area. It will attract more people."

Doing construction work in Old Sac is proving to be slightly tricky, Smith said. For example, maps could show some kind of right of way or utility under an alley, but no one knows for sure until they dig it out whether it's a small conduit line or some utility encased in a massive concrete vault.

With the Orleans project and the Ebner/Empire projects under way, that leaves that square block with only one vacant lot remaining, which is owned by Harvego. He uses it for the Firehouse's parking lot.

Harvego is working with the city to determine what that lot could become. Unlike the Orleans and the Ebner/Empire lots, which had single historic structures on them, the Firehouse parking lot has had several types of buildings on it since the Gold Rush.

"It's had a lot of different things on it over the years," Harvego said, though it's been vacant for at least 40 years.

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2008/02/18/story4.html

econgrad
Feb 19, 2008, 10:05 AM
High Rise Builder Told To Scale Down Plans
Reporting
Steve Large
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The new big building designed for 10th and J Street in Sacramento is supposed to soar 400 feet into the sky, but the city council wants these plans to go back to the drawing board. They say the designs are too big, and as Mayor Heather Fargo says, too sleek.

One of the reasons that the site is so important to a lot of these city council members is because of the view that you can see out of the windows.

City councilman Steve Cohn says it isn't his view he's worried about, but the public's.

"In addition to city hall, you have a park right in front of city hall with a great view of our oldest cathedral at 11th and K," he says.

Mayor Fargo wants the design to look more like the Citizen Hotel across the street and the Elks Lodge down the block.

"Sacramento has a great mixture of old and new," Fargo says.

But Linda Whitney, president of the Sacramento Old City Association says, look around. It could fit right in with some of the high rises that have earned some unique nicknames.

"We have the Darth Vader building in the background, it was given that name because it came out about the same time as Star Wars," Whitney says.

Another one is named the lego building, another, the ban roll building. But for now, this new tower will have to be called "Banned By City Hall."

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Majin
Feb 19, 2008, 10:48 AM
Old news but it's still painful to even read that.

SacTownAndy
Feb 19, 2008, 5:28 PM
Regarding the article above, their rationale is absolutely absurd. After all the projects we've seen fail in the last two years, it's almost as if they're deliberately destroying this one. It's reasons like this which helped spark my decision to leave 3 years ago, and I can't honestly say that I'd probably ever move back. At least not until Sacramento politics starts to grow up.

snfenoc
Feb 19, 2008, 9:27 PM
Money for 601? Money for 301??

From the Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/749/story/723510.html

City in talks to sell Sheraton Grand
By Terri Hardy - thardy@sacbee.com
Published 1:08 pm PST Tuesday, February 19, 2008
The city of Sacramento is in negotiations with developer David Taylor to sell the Sheraton Grand Hotel on J Street, The Bee has learned.

Under the deal, the city would net between $45 million and $47 million, with at least half going to fund future projects proposed by Taylor and his partner, the CIM group, said Assistant City Manager John Dangberg.

The sale price remains under discussion, Dangberg said.

Mayor Heather Fargo said the agreement would provide a win-win for the city and the development companies.

"When the deal was presented, it was hard to say anything but 'Let's keep working on this,' " Fargo said. "It sounds like a great deal for Sacramento."

The sale would have to be approved by the Sacramento Hotel Corporation's board of directors. The issue will come before the five-member board Wednesday.

The ownership and financing structure is complicated.

In April 1999, the city sold $93 million in municipal bonds through a city-controlled nonprofit corporation to finance the downtown convention center hotel. The hotel is owned by the nonprofit, the Sacramento Hotel Corporation.

The hotel corporation has a management agreement with David S. Taylor Interests, which has an operating agreement with Sheraton hotels.

It is the intent of the city and Taylor to keep Sheraton as the operator the hotel.

Dangberg said it was unlikely that the city would use any of the windfall to help bridge a projected $55 million budget deficit next fiscal year. Instead, it would be used for economic development, he said.

Taylor built the structure and had the first option to purchase it.

Fargo said it was never the intention that the city continues as a long-term hotel owner.

"We do economic development - we're not in the hotel business," Fargo said.

Majin
Feb 19, 2008, 9:42 PM
They are probably going to use the money to demolish a few buildings around J street and turn them into surface parking lots so they get better views of the Cathedral and the Capitol from City Hall.

sugit
Feb 19, 2008, 9:50 PM
Okay, I must be missing something. The city sells 93M in bonds to build the Sheraton, then sells it for 45-47M? That makes no sense.

Is Taylor/CIM assuming the remaining debt of the 93M?..and the city still clears 45-47M?

I can't see how this makes sense if that is not the case. Some more details sure would have been nice.

aufbau
Feb 19, 2008, 10:58 PM
It's reasons like this which helped spark my decision to leave 3 years ago, and I can't honestly say that I'd probably ever move back. At least not until Sacramento politics starts to grow up.

As much as I enjoy this town and love my midtown neighborhood, I'm beginning to feel the same way.

bennywah
Feb 19, 2008, 11:25 PM
images by me, kinda wish the siding on 621 was more like this, but all glass would still be better

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8293/dsc7673bw1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6776/dsc7674ed6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sugit
Feb 19, 2008, 11:28 PM
Lot more details in the Business Journal article. (shocking)

Looks like taylor/CIM pay off the debts and the city will collect 45-47M on top of that, plus the annual taxes will rise.

If I am reading that right, good deal for the city.

Taylor, CIM hope to buy Sheraton Grand
Sacramento Business Journal - by Mark Anderson Staff writer
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:45 PM PST

Sacramento developer David Taylor and the CIM Group Inc. have jointly proposed to buy the 503-room Sheraton Grand Hotel in a deal that would provide money to the city for downtown redevelopment.

The city and Taylor built the hotel by selling $91 million in 30-year revenue bonds in 1999. The city also contributed a 700-space parking garage and $8 million in cash. Taylor and his partners contributed the historic Sacramento Public Market building at 13th and J streets. That structure, designed by architect Julia Morgan, houses the public spaces and meeting rooms of the hotel.

A sale would have to be approved by the Sacramento Hotel Corp., which owns the hotel and administers the bonds, and also the Sacramento City Council. The council will consider the proposal in a closed hearing Tuesday, said Mayor Heather Fargo. She said she is urging the sale.

If the hotel is sold, it would provide the city with net proceeds of $47 million.

The hotel now every year spins off $3.4 million in taxes to the city. With a sale, the taxes will rise and the city would collect $4 million annually.

"It shows what a great investment we made with the Sheraton," Fargo said. "The Sheraton has been a real success story,"

Half of the $47 million profit would be used to go back to David Taylor and Los Angeles-based CIM group in developing priority projects on J, K or L streets downtown.

If approved, the CIM Group would make a cash payment for the hotel, retiring all the bonds. The first opportunity for early payment of the bonds is July 2009, and the money would be held in an account until that time.

The city isn't discussing the sales price of the hotel. It is a market price set by an outside consultant and checked by another outside consultant.

The hotel, which opened in 2001, is carrying cash reserves of $19 million, which will stay in reserves as long as there are bondholders. Buy disengaging the bonds, the city can tap that pool of equity for other projects now. Neither Taylor nor Fargo could say which projects they are considering, other than they are in the downtown core.

Once a sale occurs, the management, brand and operations of the hotel would remain the same, Taylor said.

urban_encounter
Feb 20, 2008, 1:38 AM
New rising: Former midtown bakery
building to become loft housing
By Bob Shallit
Published 3:41 pm PST Tuesday
February 19, 2008

The housing downturn isn't slowing D&S Development Inc., a Folsom company that's marching ahead with new residential projects.

The latest: Loft dwellings, eateries and possibly an art gallery in what was once a Wonder Bread bakery warehouse at 14th and R streets in downtown Sacramento.

D&S is in escrow to buy the vacant, 95-year-old brick building and plans to start construction next month on what will be 12 residential units sitting above restaurants and retail shops - just down the block from Randy Paragary's R15 nightclub.

"These will be true lofts," Steve Lebastchi, a D&S partner, says of the 600- to 900-square-foot housing units. "We're keeping all the brick....the 15-foot ceilings with exposed ducts and beams." And, he notes, the lofts will be in former industrial space, "just like in New York."

The developers - who last year completed a similar-sized condo project in Old Sac - haven't decided on pricing or whether the R Street housing will be for sale or lease. But they say the units, which come with a parking space, will be built to "condo standards," with energy-saving elements that will qualify for LEED certification.

Among the potential tenants being considered for the 12,000 square feet of retail space are a Japanese restaurant, a "hof brau" and an art gallery.

David Miry, another D&S partner, says the partners "fell in love" with the building, which they're buying from Owens Financial Group, a Walnut Creek commercial lender. "It's got a lot of character. There's a lot of light. You get a really good feeling when you walk in."

Adds D&S associate Bay Miry, who is David's son: "We think this (part of town) will be the top entertainment, mixed-use stretch for midtown and downtown. It's ready to blossom."

For the rest of Shallit's column, see Wednesday's business section of The Bee.

urban_encounter
Feb 20, 2008, 1:42 AM
High Rise Builder Told To Scale Down Plans
Reporting
Steve Large
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The new big building designed for 10th and J Street in Sacramento is supposed to soar 400 feet into the sky, but the city council wants these plans to go back to the drawing board. They say the designs are too big, and as Mayor Heather Fargo says, too sleek.

One of the reasons that the site is so important to a lot of these city council members is because of the view that you can see out of the windows.

City councilman Steve Cohn says it isn't his view he's worried about, but the public's.

"In addition to city hall, you have a park right in front of city hall with a great view of our oldest cathedral at 11th and K," he says.

Mayor Fargo wants the design to look more like the Citizen Hotel across the street and the Elks Lodge down the block.

"Sacramento has a great mixture of old and new," Fargo says.

But Linda Whitney, president of the Sacramento Old City Association says, look around. It could fit right in with some of the high rises that have earned some unique nicknames.

"We have the Darth Vader building in the background, it was given that name because it came out about the same time as Star Wars," Whitney says.

Another one is named the lego building, another, the ban roll building. But for now, this new tower will have to be called "Banned By City Hall."

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

If I were Saca I would tell the city thanks but no thanks and just walk away..
Let the abandoned Biltmore sit there another 20 years.

Seeing this as a victory for her crusade against height, this will only embolden Fargo.

Majin
Feb 20, 2008, 3:04 AM
He won't have to say that if we actually do something about getting the council out...KJ to replace Fargo and bradon12 to replace Fong.

Plus, Saca is fully commited to seeing this project built and he isnt going to backdown that easily.

sugit
Feb 20, 2008, 3:27 AM
New rising: Former midtown bakery
building to become loft housing
By Bob Shallit
Published 3:41 pm PST Tuesday
February 19, 2008

The housing downturn isn't slowing D&S Development Inc., a Folsom company that's marching ahead with new residential projects.

The latest: Loft dwellings, eateries and possibly an art gallery in what was once a Wonder Bread bakery warehouse at 14th and R streets in downtown Sacramento.

D&S is in escrow to buy the vacant, 95-year-old brick building and plans to start construction next month on what will be 12 residential units sitting above restaurants and retail shops - just down the block from Randy Paragary's R15 nightclub.

"These will be true lofts," Steve Lebastchi, a D&S partner, says of the 600- to 900-square-foot housing units. "We're keeping all the brick....the 15-foot ceilings with exposed ducts and beams." And, he notes, the lofts will be in former industrial space, "just like in New York."

The developers - who last year completed a similar-sized condo project in Old Sac - haven't decided on pricing or whether the R Street housing will be for sale or lease. But they say the units, which come with a parking space, will be built to "condo standards," with energy-saving elements that will qualify for LEED certification.

Among the potential tenants being considered for the 12,000 square feet of retail space are a Japanese restaurant, a "hof brau" and an art gallery.

David Miry, another D&S partner, says the partners "fell in love" with the building, which they're buying from Owens Financial Group, a Walnut Creek commercial lender. "It's got a lot of character. There's a lot of light. You get a really good feeling when you walk in."

Adds D&S associate Bay Miry, who is David's son: "We think this (part of town) will be the top entertainment, mixed-use stretch for midtown and downtown. It's ready to blossom."

For the rest of Shallit's column, see Wednesday's business section of The Bee.

I've been waiting for this one to kick-off again. I really like that building a lot. Plus, a hof brau? Um, hell ya! Last time I spoke to who I assume is the new owner (about a year ago) they were looking at a wine bar, but a hof brau sounds awesome.

I totally agree with Bay Miry, I've always thought that stretch would be a great entertainment stretch. Hopefully Capitol Lofts gets going this year too.

creamcityleo79
Feb 20, 2008, 3:37 AM
Here is the response I got from Heather Fargo...a full month after I sent it. BUT, it was not a canned response (note her bad grammar in the highlighted sentence...also, she called the Metropolitan the Cosmopolitan!). So, here it is!!
Dear Mr. neuhickman79:

I received your email and would like to clarify your misunderstanding. I am not opposed to the Cosmopolitan, but I do have concerns. These concerns are legitimate as I was elected to represent the citizens of Sacramento. My concerns are regarding the design and height of the building. This building will sit between two of our most treasured historic buildings (926 J Street and the Elks), and within blocks of several other historic buildings including the Cathedral and the Capital. I am also concerned about the base of the building, as it is across the street from Caesar Chavez Plaza, which is our civic “square.” Building on the city square should look civic and fit the feel of the city, as the Library and US Bank buildings do. These would be my expectations of anyone who builds in this location. In addition, buildings on the southwest corners of blocks have an important role in softening the heat of the summer, by adequate tree plantings and landscaping, which this building proposal has not yet addressed.

I appreciate your interest in the development of the built environment and the health of the Sacramento economy.

Mayor Fargo

>>>Neuhickman79 <neuhickman79@comcast.net> 1/17/2008 8:34 PM >>>
To whom it may concern:

I would like to register my extreme disappointment with Mayor Fargo's
illogical quest to impose height limits on such structures downtown as the
Metropolitan. I'd like to see Sacramento develop into a world-class city and
the mayor seems hell bent on preventing this from occurring. I know her
arguments for the height restrictions and I find them to be without merit.
As a longtime resident of Sacramento I have seen this city take a wonderful
turn toward smart, responsible growth and up until now, I was under the
impression that Mayor Fargo and the Council were behind this all the way.
Now I hear this from the Mayor and, if this holds true, I can no longer
support her. This is exactly the definition of the word NIMBY! NOT IN MY
BACKYARD! This is shameful coming from the Mayor/Council who has led this
city well up until this point. Please reconsider your feelings on the
Metropolitan development and don¹t get caught up in the negativity and
selfishness that is displayed by the parties who are suing you like Mo
Mohanna and William Kopper. I trust that you will make the right decision
in this matter and continue to lead Sacramento into a new era of smart,
urban growth that will bring MORE developments like the Metropolitan that
will benefit generations to come.

Thank you,

Neuhickman79

My only question is...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WOMAN DOING AS MAYOR OF SACRAMENTO!!??!?!!

What is a Rivercat?
Feb 20, 2008, 3:48 AM
Here is the response I got from Heather Fargo...a full month after I sent it. BUT, it was not a canned response (note her bad grammar in the highlighted sentence...also, she called the Metropolitan the Cosmopolitan!). So, here it is!!

**Ahem**

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/cvcvcvcv/fargo.jpg

creamcityleo79
Feb 20, 2008, 3:50 AM
**Ahem**

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/cvcvcvcv/fargo.jpg
I stand corrected!...and if you posted that before, I'm sorry! :)

innov8
Feb 20, 2008, 4:11 AM
I got the same letter... Cosmopolitan :doh:

ozone
Feb 20, 2008, 4:24 AM
Well when it was first proposed I remember that a lot of you guys were saying that the design sucked. It's true that the site is visable -being in the "Civic Center" and all---but then again this council doesn't have a steller record in preventing bad design. I wonder if Saca is asking for city money? Maybe too many just do not want to waste time with Saca anymore? (Maybe thinking here we go again with this guy who can't deliever on his promises.)

Whatever is the case I think the council is made up of mostly small town people who have hung around long enough to end up councilmembers of a moderately large city. They are in over their collective heads.

Majin
Feb 20, 2008, 4:42 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Cosmopolitan :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Just wow, this can't be serious. Is Fargo really our Mayor or is this some kind of sick joke???? :yuck:

Please KJ is you are reading this, you need to run for Mayor :yes:

urban_encounter
Feb 20, 2008, 5:55 AM
Well when it was first proposed I remember that a lot of you guys were saying that the design sucked. It's true that the site is visable -being in the "Civic Center" and all---but then again this council doesn't have a steller record in preventing bad design. I wonder if Saca is asking for city money? Maybe too many just do not want to waste time with Saca anymore? (Maybe thinking here we go again with this guy who can't deliever on his promises.)

Saca is asking for part city property.

There's no denying that the Metropolitan could use some design tweaking. But good gravy, these are the same people who gave us the garage at 621CM (and the office tower at 621 for that matter), the Sheraton, 800J (which while i don't think is offensive, is no better than the Metropolitan)...

The council members are more concerned with their own personal view of the Capitol dome (which I'm sure more than a couple apsire to work in), than they are about the overall economic outlook of the CBD.

Tweak the design if they want to (i have no problem with that).. But they're intent on cropping the Metropolitan's height and in the process throwing out the current Capitol view protection corrdior. Basically they now want to reinvent the wheel at a time when Sacramento needs to see one of these projects get off the ground.....

Whatever is the case I think the council is made up of mostly small town people who have hung around long enough to end up councilmembers of a moderately large city. They are in over their collective heads.

I agree 100% and unfortunately instead of leaders we end up with recycled neighborhood association members such as Fargo, Cohn, and Fong (to name a few) who continue to push their parochial neighborhood political views, instead of looking out for the greater good of the city.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 20, 2008, 7:04 AM
They (the city council) are in over their collective heads.

So true. And the longer people like this stay in office, the worse it will get for the citizens of Sacramento.

econgrad
Feb 20, 2008, 9:21 AM
Old news but it's still painful to even read that.

Sorry man, it hit my email so I thought it was new. The article bummed me out too...

ozone
Feb 20, 2008, 9:05 PM
Well urban encounter maybe Saca should then donate the penthouse to the city as the offical mayor's residence.

urban_encounter
Feb 20, 2008, 9:25 PM
Well urban encounter maybe Saca should then donate the penthouse to the city as the offical mayor's residence.

I think she has a fear of heights.

:haha:

brandon12
Feb 21, 2008, 12:32 AM
when driving on I-5, you can really see that work at the Crocker expansion looks to be going full steam ahead.

Yogi916
Feb 21, 2008, 3:28 AM
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4635/1409rdj5.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1409rdj5.jpg)

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4427/rstreetmapxn6.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rstreetmapxn6.jpg)

12 mid size mid priced residential Lofts, approx 600-1000 sq ft, approx $235k-$375k, above 3-5 Restaurant/Bar/Retail Concepts.

Lofts will each have own covered private parking with additional parking spaces also available. LEED Certification (hopefully Silver or Gold level, Recycling of Existing Materials, Parking with Equipment for an Electric Car, Solar Panels on top of each car port, upstairs private deck area, private entry lobby, outdoor patio dining areas, 15-25 ft ceilings, etc are all planned for the project.

Thoughts? What is the potential and future of the R St Corridor?

I know there is a lot of talk about the frustration with the Mayor and City Council and what not. And raising concern and voicing opinions/letters is definitely active and progressive. Equally if not more important is the continuing development of unique and exciting projects across Midtown and Downtown (regardless of size) that challenge the developers themselves to improve upon previous projects. Projects that benefit the surrounding community, add something to the Central City, and possess a certain "hip factor".

Majin
Feb 21, 2008, 4:18 AM

Density is too low and it includes parking.

creamcityleo79
Feb 21, 2008, 5:50 AM
Density is too low and it includes parking.
What is there now? NOTHING! In this market, be glad we still have proposals!

sugit
Feb 21, 2008, 6:10 AM
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4635/1409rdj5.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1409rdj5.jpg)

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4427/rstreetmapxn6.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rstreetmapxn6.jpg)

12 mid size mid priced residential Lofts, approx 600-1000 sq ft, approx $235k-$375k, above 3-5 Restaurant/Bar/Retail Concepts.

Lofts will each have own covered private parking with additional parking spaces also available. LEED Certification (hopefully Silver or Gold level, Recycling of Existing Materials, Parking with Equipment for an Electric Car, Solar Panels on top of each car port, upstairs private deck area, private entry lobby, outdoor patio dining areas, 15-25 ft ceilings, etc are all planned for the project.

I know there is a lot of talk about the frustration with the Mayor and City Council and what not. And raising concern and voicing opinions/letters is definitely active and progressive. Equally if not more important is the continuing development of unique and exciting projects across Midtown and Downtown (regardless of size) that challenge the developers themselves to improve upon previous projects. Projects that benefit the surrounding community, add something to the Central City, and possess a certain "hip factor".

I really like this renovation and I think R Street has crazy potential to be a major nightlife and entertainment district.

I pick up this info on my blog from someone who I think is with the project on the retail spaces. I mentioned how I hope it's not another "rock and roll" sushi place and they replied with this.

"No worries, not another sushi bar with mayo and what not spread all over...think a "sake lounge" with unique but authentic Japanese food, something creative and not typical at all, same with the hof bra, a "hip and modern" take from a group with 20-30 years experience in the traditional hof brau business in the Bay Area, and a bistro/restaurant concept that we are very excited about as well for another one of the spaces"

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4635/1409rdj5.jpg

TowerDistrict
Feb 21, 2008, 8:08 AM
That's gonna be awesome.

Such a great bulding and location. The streetscape improvements are
imminent, the plaza east is under design, Capital Lofts are gearing up
to finally begin construction, 16th Street Light Rail station improvements
are on the way.

Things are falling in to place. It's taken forever - but this project right here
may turn out to be like the East End Lofts - maybe better? Honestly, I can't
think of much better news I've heard in the past year.

urban_encounter
Feb 22, 2008, 2:11 AM
I really like this renovation and I think R Street has crazy potential to be a major nightlife and entertainment district.

I pick up this info on my blog from someone who I think is with the project on the retail spaces. I mentioned how I hope it's not another "rock and roll" sushi place and they replied with this.

"No worries, not another sushi bar with mayo and what not spread all over...think a "sake lounge" with unique but authentic Japanese food, something creative and not typical at all, same with the hof bra, a "hip and modern" take from a group with 20-30 years experience in the traditional hof brau business in the Bay Area, and a bistro/restaurant concept that we are very excited about as well for another one of the spaces"

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4635/1409rdj5.jpg

Sounds like another wonderful project...

btw Kru is still my favorite Sushi/Japanese restaurant.. (at least for the time being)..

Majin
Feb 22, 2008, 2:24 AM
Sounds like another wonderful project...

btw Kru is still my favorite Sushi/Japanese restaurant.. (at least for the time being)..

Are you serious? I'm not too found of that place.

I think Zen Sushi is much better.

urban_encounter
Feb 22, 2008, 4:08 AM
Are you serious? I'm not too found of that place.

I think Zen Sushi is much better.

I love Kru....

I don't mind Zen, but they were a bit curt the last time i dined there and I think they were called Zen Toro then.

sugit
Feb 22, 2008, 4:24 AM
I dig Kru a lot, but I also like Zen Sushi as well. It's a toss up for me.

I'm actually really looking forward to Ju Hachi in the old Taka's location.

Majin
Feb 22, 2008, 4:27 AM
^^ Whats the deal with Ju Hachi? That sign has been there since Taka's moved out like 2 years ago...

sugit
Feb 22, 2008, 4:46 AM
I go by at least once a week and it looks like they are getting closer.

It seems like the improvements are about done, but like you said, it's taken forever so far, so I have no idea when they will open.

urban_encounter
Feb 22, 2008, 5:47 AM
Has anyone ever tried the Sushi house on J street next to the UP tracks??

wburg
Feb 22, 2008, 6:39 AM
Taki? It's pretty much my favorite Japanese restaurant in town--prices are reasonable, the sushi is good, as are the dinners.

sugit
Feb 22, 2008, 6:45 AM
Has anyone ever tried the Sushi house on J street next to the UP tracks??

When in doubt..Yelp it

http://www.yelp.com/biz/taki-japanese-restaurant-sacramento#hrid:N11AGsSHMp9ZhOARSq8LNQ/query:Sushi

wburg
Feb 22, 2008, 4:20 PM
Other reviewers seem less kind, but I maintain that Taki is tasty. Of course, I like a lot of divey places that many Yelpers consider unacceptable, and unlike one of those reviewers I liked Taki even better before the remodel.

sugit
Feb 22, 2008, 5:24 PM
Are you kidding? Yelp is home of the "Dive Bar Connoisseurs" "Light Rail Pub Crawl." and all things divey. People knock stars off for being trendy.

90% of the people on that site only care about one thing, food.

TowerDistrict
Feb 22, 2008, 6:02 PM
heh... never read reviews of places you already know you like.

ozone
Feb 22, 2008, 8:47 PM
Taki? It's pretty much my favorite Japanese restaurant in town--prices are reasonable, the sushi is good, as are the dinners.

Yep I totally agree with -it's mine as well.

ozone
Feb 22, 2008, 8:53 PM
I think she has a fear of heights.

:haha:

LOL I think you're right. She's a short women so maybe she's got height envy.

jsf8278
Feb 28, 2008, 7:36 PM
Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:32 AM PST
Tesco to open 17 Fresh & Easy stores in Sacramento regionSacramento Business Journal - by Kelly Johnson Staff writer

The first wave of Fresh & Easy stores, a new format created for the United States, will open from Sacramento to Folsom, and from Lincoln to Galt, the company said. Fresh & Easy plans more stores locally, but won't disclose the number.

After debuting in the south state in November, Fresh & Easy has opened 55 stores combined in Southern California, Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Fresh & Easy specializes in prepared meals and its own private brand of products in 0,000-square-foot stores, which is comparable to the size of many Trader Joe's markets. Each store employs 20 to 30 people.

The Fresh & Easy stores will locate at the following intersections:

Sacramento:

Bradshaw and Old Placerville roads
Broadway and 34th Street
Del Paso Road and East Commerce Way
Franklin Boulevard and Mack Road
Meadowview Road and Freeport Boulevard
Northgate Boulevard and San Juan Road
Watt and El Camino avenues
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any idea what the timeframe would look like for constructing and opening any these stores?

goldcntry
Feb 28, 2008, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure of the other locations, but the Bradshaw and Old Placerville Road location is a vacant Albertsons just begging to reopen. I'm syked! It'll really help that plaza and the area.

:tomato:

Surefiresacto
Feb 29, 2008, 12:09 AM
Alright, first post ever! I've been reading these forever and I finally got the balls to write something.

The only spot I could imagine this going in at Watt and El Camino would be in the old Tower Records/Books store. That would be great, but I was hoping for a 24 hour fitness.

arod74
Feb 29, 2008, 3:19 AM
welcome surefire, I think Shallit beat you to the punch in his business tidbits section this morning but good guess anyway about what is going into Tower's former site..

sugit
Feb 29, 2008, 3:49 AM
Welcome Surefiresacto

creamcityleo79
Feb 29, 2008, 6:54 AM
Alright, first post ever! I've been reading these forever and I finally got the balls to write something.

The only spot I could imagine this going in at Watt and El Camino would be in the old Tower Records/Books store. That would be great, but I was hoping for a 24 hour fitness.
I was hoping for Dimple! :(

Surefiresacto
Feb 29, 2008, 5:20 PM
I was hoping for Dimple! :(

Dimple would be cool, but the Arden Dimple is only about a mile away.

creamcityleo79
Feb 29, 2008, 9:10 PM
Dimple would be cool, but the Arden Dimple is only about a mile away.
Well, from what I had heard, it was originally going to be a Dimple! It's true it is about 2+ miles away. But, they would serve different markets, I believe. What is the closest music store to someone who lives in Carmichael? Also, there are almost 90,000 people who live in Arden-Arcade. I think they (and Carmichael) can support 2 music stores.

urban_encounter
Mar 1, 2008, 3:55 PM

Equally if not more important is the continuing development of unique and exciting projects across Midtown and Downtown (regardless of size) that challenge the developers themselves to improve upon previous projects. Projects that benefit the surrounding community, add something to the Central City, and possess a certain "hip factor".

Very well stated Yogi.

High density housing while an important piece of the puzzle for the CBD and Midtown, is only a part of the bigger picture.

Projects like 1409 R, are exactly the kinds of projects which truly define the vibrancy of the street life in Sacramento.

This is something to be very excited about.

wburg
Mar 1, 2008, 7:31 PM
There are plenty of places nearby to put more high-density housing--like in the place of the buzz-boxes across the street. R Street has the potential to put historic buildings, both industrial and residential, in close proximity to modern, high-density and relatively tall structures in a context that works (along a rail transit corridor) to mutual benefit.

snfenoc
Mar 2, 2008, 9:19 AM
Here's an update:

Mercy Medical Building:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0001.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0002.jpg

Trammel Crow:

The Trailer is up, but nothing else is going on. How long does it take to move dirt around? Shit.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0004.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0005.jpg

Sutter Garage:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0006.jpg

I hope this stretch gets a nice restaurant or two. That's a lot of space to be empty and boring.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0007.jpg

I will say this, the view from the top is great.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0008.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0009.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0010.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/CSC_0011.jpg

Sutter Brownstones - Affordable Schmaffordable:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0011.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0012.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0013.jpg

That artsy Sutter Office Building is moving forward:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0014.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0015.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0016.jpg

Sutter Medical Building:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0017.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0018.jpg

Sutter expansion = replacement of the Trinity Cathedral??

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0020.jpg

I hope not.

Crapitol Dawg is almost open:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0019.jpg

L Street Lofts:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0021.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0022.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0023.jpg

621 Crapitol Mall:

The fence is down (on one side) and you can walk right up to it.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0024.jpg

500 Crapitol Mall:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0025.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0026.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0027.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0028.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0029.jpg

SoCrap Lofts:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0030.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0031.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0032.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0033.jpg

Crocker Museum:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0034.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0035.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0036.jpg

CalSTRS:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0037.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0038.jpg

Orleans "Hotel":

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0039.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0040.jpg

Roos Atkins:

They are cutting in some extra windows
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0041.jpg

10th Street Cabaret:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0042.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0043.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0044.jpg

16th Street Lofts:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0045.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0046.jpg

Now some fun stuff:

I just love the houses in Mid Town.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0047.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0048.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0049.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0050.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0051.jpg

Holy shit! The cathedral is being partially obscured.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0052.jpg
Someone, please call the Mayor. Call Steve Cohn. Call Lauren Hammond. The world is gonna end if we don't something.

One of the 850,069 churches in Sacramento
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0054.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0055.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0056.jpg

I can't miss this.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0057.jpg

Tree and building.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0058.jpg

Don't try to copy the Residence Inn, Vader. Hiding behind a tree won't work. I can see you.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0059.jpg
What an asshole.

I love these windows, even if they are f&%$ed up.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0060.jpg

This sculpture/structure is great.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0061.jpg

Too bad it's part of the CalPERS sprallscraper.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0062.jpg

Nature's architecture or man's architecture?
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0063.jpg
I like nature's architecture better.

I'm never leaning on another light post again.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0064.jpg

urban_encounter
Mar 2, 2008, 5:20 PM
Don't try to copy the Residence Inn, Vader. Hiding behind a tree won't work. I can see you.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%203-1-08/DSC_0059.jpg

I love this photo....

Good job with the update snfenoc...

arod74
Mar 2, 2008, 8:13 PM
Great update snfenoc,

The Trailer is up, but nothing else is going on. How long does it take to move dirt around? Shit.

well hopefully not as long as they have been moving around dirt in the railyards...

uzi963
Mar 2, 2008, 10:25 PM
seems like it's been forever since the last comprehensive update.

special thanks from all the out-of-town-ers, snfenoc.

creamcityleo79
Mar 2, 2008, 10:32 PM
By the way Steve...Sutter Expansion = Renovation of Trinity Cathedral Building!

sactown_2007
Mar 3, 2008, 4:11 AM
Wow hey thanks for all the updates snfenoc; as bad as the economy has been, it is really good to see it has not slowed all the construction going on here in Sac :cheers:

innov8
Mar 3, 2008, 4:32 AM
Well done Steve, the view from the Sutter garage is SWEET.

wburg
Mar 3, 2008, 7:58 AM
The moving dirt in the railyards is proceeding briskly: Railroad Museum MoW volunteers have been moving their equipment and stored stuff from the area west of the Shops buildings, and soon the rolling stock on that part will have to be relocated or at least reshuffled to allow remediation of the soil under the tracks. I noticed a big string of gondolas spotted just west of the 7th Street grade crossing yesterday, hopefully being filled with toxic soil to be shipped out to Utah.

As to the Trammell Crow project, they're not due to start work until the spring, assuming that their demo of the Buzz-box didn't accidentally turn up some leftover toxic goodies from the coalyard that used to be on Alhambra. I'm curious as to what that green powdery stuff all over the ground there is...

Nice pics, by the way!

Majin
Mar 3, 2008, 6:55 PM
Question - Why isn't there a push from the city council to have all the buildings downtown put on their light shows (Zigg, Fed Courthouse, etc). Once 621 is completed and its light show is put it, it would be nice for all the lights in the buildings be put along to complement it.

snfenoc
Mar 3, 2008, 8:12 PM
By the way Steve...Sutter Expansion = Renovation of Trinity Cathedral Building!

You may call it a renovation, but unless the new cathedral is built next to the existing one, I call it a replacement - and an ugly one at that.

http://cityofsacramento.org/dsd/projects/sutter-medical-center/documents/figure-2-26.pdf

innov8
Mar 4, 2008, 5:59 PM
Yeah, the current plan for Trinity Catherdral is to demo the old building and
replace it with that POS building. The brick work on the current Catherdral
is incredible and I would hate to see it replaced, hear that Wberg :cheers:

TowerDistrict
Mar 4, 2008, 7:14 PM
Awesome photos, Steve. Thanks for posting!!!

I'm so unaware of all the Sutter project's components. Can anyone explain
why the Trinity Cathedral would be demolished in the first place? Is the church
okay with this plan?

That rendering of the new cathedral makes me queezy. It looks like my
grandma's living room exploded.

creamcityleo79
Mar 5, 2008, 4:04 AM
You may call it a renovation, but unless the new cathedral is built next to the existing one, I call it a replacement - and an ugly one at that.

http://cityofsacramento.org/dsd/projects/sutter-medical-center/documents/figure-2-26.pdf

I stand corrected! I thought it was being renovated! Wow!

sugit
Mar 6, 2008, 6:02 PM
Don't look for East End Gateway I to start anytime soon. The time line was Nov this year, but they can not get financing for a high-rise right now in this housing market.

It was described as "impossible to secure under current market conditions". Which considering the project is getting a subsidy, is pretty telling for any high-rise in the near future.

East End Gateway Sites I
Developer: Lambert Developement
Architect: Carrier Johnson
Site I: 16th and N Street - 15 Stories, 122 Condos, Retail 5K

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3267/eeg13ti5.png

Majin
Mar 6, 2008, 6:23 PM
Where did you get that information from?

And why isn't it possible for the city to just kick in more money?

innov8
Mar 6, 2008, 6:31 PM
Majin, the City is on the verge of laying off 500 people... they don't have any money to kick.

sugit
Mar 6, 2008, 6:35 PM
Where did you get that information from?

And why isn't it possible for the city to just kick in more money?

I saw on the CADA website that the lineline was now 2010-2011, so I emailed a contact I have at CADA.

Majin
Mar 6, 2008, 6:48 PM
Ok, I guess i'll have to crack open my checkbook to help out....

*crickets*

...nevermind :(