PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

ltsmotorsport
May 2, 2007, 5:57 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see the photos.

And here's a cool one I found on flickr. By casch52. http://flickr.com/photos/casch/

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/398314222_64629afc72_o.jpg
I'm guessing it was taken in February sometime.

sugit
May 2, 2007, 6:03 PM
I'm now lucky enough to be able see the daily goings on out my new office window :)

I used to pass by the Marriot site everyday..I'm telling you, seeing it everyday is going to make it seem like grass is growing.

innov8
May 2, 2007, 6:09 PM
Yeah, I hear ya :yes:

ozone
May 2, 2007, 6:19 PM
I used to pass by the Marriot site everyday..I'm telling you, seeing it everyday is going to make it seem like grass is growing.

That's funny. Yeah if you see something everyday it just seems like slow progress.

Back on the topic of the CALEPA building... (with it's post-modern base, early 1970's shaft, and post-industrial top).. since at the time when they were gaining the city's approval they said that the top would be lit up why can't the city ask them to follow through with their promise? They could power the lights with solar panels even.

innov8
May 2, 2007, 6:47 PM
The City doe's not have any say in the approval of any proposed State buildings.
The State needs a EIR like any other building but that's about it. When the
West End complex was moving forward and I went to the workshops I learned this.
Also, the EPA doe's have solar panels on the 8th floor section that bumps
out towards I Street.

sugit
May 2, 2007, 7:06 PM
Case in point being the East End Complex. The city and neighborhood residence wanted the complex wrapped in some sort of housing and retail to add street life to that stretch, and not make the buildings so monolithic..alas you see what we have.. a 2 block dead zone on 16th. I don't remember all the details, so if anyone knows more history, I'd like to hear it.

Those buildings really cut off and kill the potential synergy between the whole 16th and J/K area and Fremont Park neighborhood with the planned East End Gateway and existing business already on 16th.

I do actaully kinda like the open space they have at 16th and Capitol, but the problem is they killed any chance of it being a gather place, which is what I feel should be a big part of open space, by surrounding it with bunker like ground floor office with no life and creating a deadzone.. Thus rendering it almost useless.

A simple improvement would have been if they had placed the retail space on 16th, instead of 17th, with some cafes and take out places. If that would have happen I think people would have used the steps and other space there to sit, eat and talk, esp during lunch. Kids would have loved the water feature (when it's actually turned on)

ozone
May 2, 2007, 10:01 PM
The City doe's not have any say in the approval of any proposed State buildings.
The State needs a EIR like any other building but that's about it. When the
West End complex was moving forward and I went to the workshops I learned this.
Also, the EPA doe's have solar panels on the 8th floor section that bumps
out towards I Street.

Humm If I recall Cal EPA did go through some city approval process..but myabe it was just a informative meeting?

Don't get me started on the "open space" in the East End Project. IMO that is the worst public art installation I have ever seen. What a missed opportunity to bring Capitol Park into the office complex. What is that piece of junk anyway...a golden orb inside of a skateboard park? Some sort of abstract stars sh't that totally blocks the view of the Capitol. The original design for the open space included a sensible mini-park/plaza but the California Arts Council with Chair Marcy Friedman (of Arden Fair Mall fame) deicided that this crap would be better. Why the hell is Marcy Friedman chair of the California Art Council anyway? Look at Arden Fair Mall--nothing artistic about it. Yes she does some good chairty work but in this case she's just another person with money who egotistically thinks she has talent/taste.

sugit
May 2, 2007, 10:04 PM
Humm If I recall it did have to go through some city approval process..myabe it was just a informative meeting?

I'm 99.99% sure State projects don't have to go through any sort of city design or planning approval. I went to the DR meeting fr the East End Gateway, before it got canceled by Loftworks, it was an Information Only item. They were clear that State projects did not need approvals from the city.

innov8
May 2, 2007, 10:13 PM
Humm If I recall it did have to go through some city approval process..myabe it was just a informative meeting?

That's probably what it was... State proposed building don't have to pass
through the Design Commission or Planning Commission for approval to be built.
I'm sure City officials are informed on what the State is planning and even
try to give input on what might be best for the city, but that's about it.

econgrad
May 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
Humm If I recall Cal EPA did go through some city approval process..but myabe it was just a informative meeting?

Don't get me started on the "open space" in the East End Project. IMO that is the worst public art installation I have ever seen. What a missed opportunity to bring Capitol Park into the office complex. What is that piece of junk anyway...a golden orb inside of a skateboard park? Some sort of abstract stars sh't that totally blocks the view of the Capitol. The original design for the open space included a sensible mini-park/plaza but the California Arts Council with Chair Marcy Friedman (of Arden Fair Mall fame) deicided that this crap would be better. Why the hell is Marcy Friedman chair of the California Art Council anyway? Look at Arden Fair Mall--nothing artistic about it. Yes she does some good chairty work but in this case she's just another person with money who egotistically thinks she has talent/taste.

:tup: Thank You! I completely agree! :cheers:

BrianSac
May 3, 2007, 3:25 AM

I agree with you 100%, ozone.

Although, I know nothing about Marcy Friedman, the East End Mall "open space" is absolutely horrible. What are those friggin robot like pod-light fixture things in the ground. I have never seen water come out of the fountain/waterfall thing, either. What a disgrace!

SacUrbnPlnr
May 3, 2007, 4:39 AM
That's probably what it was... State proposed building don't have to pass
through the Design Commission or Planning Commission for approval to be built.
I'm sure City officials are informed on what the State is planning and even
try to give input on what might be best for the city, but that's about it.

You are correct in the assumption that the State of California does not require zoning, design review, or other approvals from the City of Sacramento for state projects. Neither does the University of California, for that matter, as a seperate legal entity under the State Constitution.

However, the CalEPA building was an exception. To keep CalEPA from locating outside downtown Sacramento, the City agreed to construct the building and lease it to the State of California. The project was funded from a City-issued revenue bond. Because the State does not own the building, it was subject to City review and approval (although it was probably built to state specifications).

innov8
May 3, 2007, 5:03 AM
You are correct in the assumption that the State of California does not require zoning, design review, or other approvals from the City of Sacramento for state projects. Neither does the University of California, for that matter, as a seperate legal entity under the State Constitution.

However, the CalEPA building was an exception. To keep CalEPA from locating outside downtown Sacramento, the City agreed to construct the building and lease it to the State of California. The project was funded from a City-issued revenue bond. Because the State does not own the building, it was subject to City review and approval (although it was probably built to state specifications).

Interesting... I stand corrected. I knew those requirements were the rule
and typically did not apply to the State.

econgrad
May 3, 2007, 9:56 AM
:previous:
Not sure if I missed something. Can the State buy any peice of land whether or not the city wants to sell it or not? I guess I am wondering how much power does the state have over local development, can they do pretty much what they want to or is there any checks and balances?
Thanks.

SacTownAndy
May 3, 2007, 3:30 PM
I vaguely remember when CalEPA first opened seeing the top lit up with neon- for some reason I'm thinking it was green?

That's one of my biggest "peeves" when it comes to development- I can't stand when developers spend all this money installing things like fountains and lighting and then it's never utilized.

innov8
May 3, 2007, 3:47 PM
I don't remember seeing any neon. On the south facing side in between the
the 25th floor windows there are these decorative fixtures that use to
be lit up with a white light, very classy. Also, around Christmas time
the whole green top would be outlined with white Christmas lights...
quite a site crossing over the Yolo Causeway.

The US Bank has some green neon near the top… you have to be within a couple blocks
to be able to see it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mz1613/73usbank112-3-2006f.jpg

SacUrbnPlnr
May 3, 2007, 6:07 PM
:previous:
Not sure if I missed something. Can the State buy any peice of land whether or not the city wants to sell it or not? I guess I am wondering how much power does the state have over local development, can they do pretty much what they want to or is there any checks and balances?
Thanks.

The State of California can certainly negotiate a voluntary purchase of land (whether owned by a public agency or a private entity) or use its power of eminent domain to acquire property for public use.

Many of the surface parking lots in the central city area near older state office buildings are the legacy of the State having acquired lots of land during the 1950s and 1960s for a planned major construction of new state office buildings that did not occur. Many of these properties were bulldozed, thus the surface parking we now have today. As a result, much of Sacramento's history and architectural legacy was destroyed.

Fortunately, the State did not bulldoze all of the buildings on property that it acquired decades ago for its planned expansion. In the late 1970s, to address the fact it owned quite a bit of property for which it had no comprhensive strategy or master plan, the State partnered with the City of Sacramento to form the Capital Area Development Authority (CADA). One of CADA's first missions was to prepare a comprhensive plan, the Capitol Area Plan, for properties surrounding the State Capitol.

CADA is one of the largest property owners and residential lanlords in the region. CADA owns many of the older apartment complexes near the State Capitol and some of the older warehouse/industrial buildings along the R-Street corridor (such as the CADA Warehouse that is part of the proposed Capitol Lofts project).

Only in the past decade has the State re-thought its strategy and begun again to construct buildings on property that it owns (thus the East End complex and the proposed West End highrise buildings).

I probably provided a lot more information that you wanted to know, but there it is.

ozone
May 3, 2007, 9:21 PM
:previous: Actually that was a good bit of info and history thanks for posting it.

reggiesquared
May 4, 2007, 12:20 AM
Hey guys. If you ever need to store your pictures somewhere check out my research project www.fojax.com. Sign up and tell me what you think. Still in testing and a couple bugs here and there but the main functionality is there and its pretty stable. This totally sounds like spam but its not haha. Just thought since you guys like posting pictures on here you may need to stick'em somewhere.

Thanks

econgrad
May 4, 2007, 1:41 AM
The State of California can certainly negotiate a voluntary purchase of land (whether owned by a public agency or a private entity) or use its power of eminent domain to acquire property for public use.

Many of the surface parking lots in the central city area near older state office buildings are the legacy of the State having acquired lots of land during the 1950s and 1960s for a planned major construction of new state office buildings that did not occur. Many of these properties were bulldozed, thus the surface parking we now have today. As a result, much of Sacramento's history and architectural legacy was destroyed.

Fortunately, the State did not bulldoze all of the buildings on property that it acquired decades ago for its planned expansion. In the late 1970s, to address the fact it owned quite a bit of property for which it had no comprhensive strategy or master plan, the State partnered with the City of Sacramento to form the Capital Area Development Authority (CADA). One of CADA's first missions was to prepare a comprhensive plan, the Capitol Area Plan, for properties surrounding the State Capitol.

CADA is one of the largest property owners and residential lanlords in the region. CADA owns many of the older apartment complexes near the State Capitol and some of the older warehouse/industrial buildings along the R-Street corridor (such as the CADA Warehouse that is part of the proposed Capitol Lofts project).

Only in the past decade has the State re-thought its strategy and begun again to construct buildings on property that it owns (thus the East End complex and the proposed West End highrise buildings).

I probably provided a lot more information that you wanted to know, but there it is.

Thanks! I never knew the history of CADA before this. :tup:

otnemarcaS
May 4, 2007, 4:21 AM
U.S. Bank Tower construction off to good start
By Jon Ortiz - Bee Staff Writer
Published 8:10 pm PDT Thursday, May 3, 2007

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2007/05/03/20/610-AOC_HiRise_032a.embedded.prod_affiliate.4.JPG
Construction workers enjoy a free lunch in celebration of the topping of the structural height of the new U.S. Bank Tower in downtown Sacramento.
Sacramento Bee/Autumn Cruz

Sacramento's newest high-rise entered its next construction phase Thursday as ironworkers made their final welds to 40 miles of steel framing on the Bank Tower on Capitol Mall.

The 25-story office building leads a pack of tall structures planned for downtown Sacramento. How many of those other towers will be built remains unclear.

US Bank Tower, which is being built by local developer David Taylor, and three other high-rise projects in various stages along Capitol Mall illustrate the challenges that go with constructing buildings that can change a city's skyline.

Taylor's efforts appear off to a good start, despite his asking up to $4 per square foot for rent, a dollar more than any other Capitol Mall landlord. Nearly half the space for the building at 621 Capitol Mall is leased to four businesses: Downey Brand, one of the area's biggest law firms; the California Restaurant Association trade group; the Palmer Team, a marquee commercial real estate company; and the building's nameplate tenant, US Bank.

US Bank Tower is further along than the other three high-rise projects on Capitol Mall.

joninsac
May 4, 2007, 5:05 AM
"U.S. Bank Tower construction off to a good start"

Gotta love the Bee. Nothing gets by them. I guess they were unaware of 621's construction when it was only 300 feet tall or so.:rolleyes:

"US Bank Tower is further along than the other three high-rise projects on Capitol Mall."

No shit?

foxmtbr
May 4, 2007, 5:24 AM
^ :haha:

enigma99a
May 4, 2007, 6:29 AM
"U.S. Bank Tower construction off to a good start"

Gotta love the Bee. Nothing gets by them. I guess they were unaware of 621's construction when it was only 300 feet tall or so.:rolleyes:

"US Bank Tower is further along than the other three high-rise projects on Capitol Mall."

No shit?

actually the Bee didn't notice it until it was about 400ft :haha:

goldcntry
May 4, 2007, 1:59 PM
I knew I cancelled my Bee subscription for a reason...

:tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

otnemarcaS
May 4, 2007, 3:23 PM
I guess the Bee updated the story -

Towering questions
Planned downtown high-rises show progress - or lack of it
By Jon Ortiz - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, May 4, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

Sacramento's newest high-rise entered its next construction phase Thursday as ironworkers made their final welds to 40 miles of steel framing on the Bank Tower on Capitol Mall.

The 25-story office building leads a pack of tall structures planned for downtown Sacramento. How many of those other towers will be built remains unclear.

US Bank Tower, which is being built by local developer David Taylor, and three other high-rise projects in various stages along Capitol Mall illustrate the challenges that go with constructing buildings that can change a city's skyline.

Only Taylor's building started without a relative hitch. One of the neighboring projects sparked an outcry over its look and was redesigned before construction started. Two others are still searching for financing.

Taylor's efforts appear off to a good start, despite his asking up to $4 per square foot for rent, a dollar more than any other Capitol Mall landlord. Nearly half the space for the building at 621 Capitol Mall is leased to four businesses: Downey Brand, one of the area's biggest law firms; the California Restaurant Association trade group; the Palmer Team, a marquee commercial real estate company; and the building's nameplate tenant, US Bank.

"It's about perceived status and marketing," said TRI Commercial office broker Steve Park. "It's about a business being able to say, 'We're in one of the top buildings in Sacramento.' People will pay a little more for that."

US Bank Tower is further along than the other three high-rise projects on Capitol Mall.

Across the street, Tsakopoulos Investments is putting up a 25- story office building at 500 Capitol Mall.

Angelo G. Tsakopoulos originally proposed a modern tower with a replica of the Parthenon on the top. City officials balked at the design. Tsakopoulos last year exchanged it for a more conventional look.

Workers Thursday were preparing the site at Capitol Mall and Fifth Street. A sign at the site indicates that the 433,000- square-foot building will open in the first quarter of 2009.

Taylor's and Tsakopoulos' buildings will pump about 800,000 square feet of high-end office space into the Sacramento market, Park said, enough to "shock" the market and drive down lease rates for a while.

"After about six months I think you'll see a rebound as some businesses in outlying areas like Natomas start trickling in to downtown," Park said. "People who couldn't afford to be there before might find that they suddenly can."

Next to the US Bank Tower, Denver developer Craig Nassi hopes to build Aura, a 39-story luxury condominium tower designed by renowned architect Daniel Libeskind that will cost about $177 million.

But Nassi has yet to break ground at 601 Capitol Mall because he hasn't purchased the land from Taylor. Last month, Nassi's deadline passed to line up financing. He has asked for more time, but Taylor said Thursday he won't formally grant an extension without talking directly with Nassi's lenders and equity partners.

Nassi, who has maintained all along that Aura will be built, did not respond to requests seeking comment.

Three blocks west, all is quiet where John Saca's $550 million Towers project is planned between Third and Fourth streets. The foundation work on the ambitious 53-story, twin tower, hotel-retail-condo complex abruptly stopped last fall.

Last month Saca said he reached an agreement to buy out the California Public Employees' Retirement System, his largest investment partner. To close the deal, he must come up with about $25 million by May 25 to reimburse the state pension fund for what has been spent.

The Sacramento-based developer also needs more money from other investors and lenders to restart the project. He has taken deposits on about half of the 800 condos up for sale.

Saca did not return a telephone call seeking comment. Mark Cordano of Sacramento-based Cordano Co. said his company has put its Towers retail marketing efforts "on hold" for now.

Meanwhile, the whirring, pounding, buzzing sounds of construction continued Thursday on the $130 million US Bank Tower. Inside the building's on-site sales office, Taylor pondered a question: What is the hardest part of building a skyscraper?

His answer: money.

"It's getting the leasing and financing you need," he said. "The construction issues are very, very important, but I don't have to personally handle those."

ltsmotorsport
May 4, 2007, 4:11 PM
Only Taylor's building started without a relative hitch.

Also not true. :rolleyes:

innov8
May 4, 2007, 4:19 PM
It's amazing that the Bee doe's not tape into this wealth of knowledge right
here on SSP.com. On the graph, Aura's now 455' and the Towers are at 600’

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4023/918untitled1embeddedprooe7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

joninsac
May 4, 2007, 4:31 PM
^ Hmmm. The graph cites SSP and "Bee research" as sources. Since it has been scientifically proven that the Bee does no research, I wonder where the height numbers came from.

innov8
May 4, 2007, 4:34 PM
^ Hmmm. The graph cites SSP and "Bee research" as sources. Since it has been scientifically proven that the Bee does no research, I wonder where the height numbers came from.

:D

urban_encounter
May 4, 2007, 6:10 PM
But Nassi has yet to break ground at 601 Capitol Mall because he hasn't purchased the land from Taylor. Last month, Nassi's deadline passed to line up financing. He has asked for more time, but Taylor said Thursday he won't formally grant an extension without talking directly with Nassi's lenders and equity partners.

Interesting to hear that an extension wasn't granted and wont be until Taylor talks with Nassi's (so called) lenders and equity partners..

I support Taylor 100% and frankly at some point you just have to say that enough is enough.

Not meaning to be negative, but I think we can safely turn the lights out on Aura.

TowerDistrict
May 4, 2007, 6:54 PM
I know people like Nassi are wealthy people, spending other people's money - but how do they justify spending the kind of money they have marketing this project - and then not follow through when and where it counts most? this project just blows my mind... i'm sure i don't know the whole story, but it's confounding to think of how Aura went from 80% sold and ready for construction, to a silly distraction in a matter of months.

aufbau
May 5, 2007, 12:39 AM

Who knows where those numbers came from, but what do you expect from a newspaper that reports on a building's "good start" when one can easily see the topped out structure from their offices on 21st street?

I'm glad the bee squeezed out another gem today to keep this recently slow forum going.

urban_encounter
May 5, 2007, 12:56 AM
I know people like Nassi are wealthy people, spending other people's money - but how do they justify spending the kind of money they have marketing this project - and then not follow through when and where it counts most? this project just blows my mind... i'm sure i don't know the whole story, but it's confounding to think of how Aura went from 80% sold and ready for construction, to a silly distraction in a matter of months.

I was thinking exactly the same thing today.

I'm amazed that a building can be 65, 70, 75 or as you noted 80% pre sold (depending on which is the most accurate sales numbers) and still not be able to get financing.

Regardless of whether or not this project is a first for Sacramento, the risk doesn't get much lower than that, unless your talking about a building being 100% pre sold prior to the first shovel of dirt being turned..

In October it will be two years since city final approval of this project.

Two Years!!!

I'm not saying that Aura definitely wont be constructed.

But at this point, I will be very surprised if it does get built.

enigma99a
May 5, 2007, 5:10 AM
Luxury highrise condos CAN'T be done in Sac. After all, it's never been done before right?

innov8
May 5, 2007, 5:41 AM
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/629/621cm1200705011faa3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
621CM

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6366/calstrsjstreet20070504fpx3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
CalSTRS crane looking west down J Street.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1326/500cmscrewpiles11200705hk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
500CM... I post the whole screw piles process over in the highrise construction section as well as other photos from the projects above.

Highrise construction: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103

urban_encounter
May 5, 2007, 7:32 PM
Luxury highrise condos CAN'T be done in Sac. After all, it's never been done before right?

Unfortunately it's beginning to look that way.

I'm still hopeful that John Saca will be able to bring in a motivated equity partner with deep pockets for his project. Although who knows how many people signed there addendums?

Unfortunately the banks seem to be hesitant to fund these projects completely..

I'm just stunned that the long delay over Aura, boils down to a $14 million dollars mezzanine loan.

(or so the media reports) :sly:

downtownserg89
May 5, 2007, 9:14 PM
wow, 621 cm is really making progress.

Phillip
May 6, 2007, 1:00 AM
Luxury highrise condos CAN'T be done in Sac. After all, it's never been done before right?I'm surprised nobody has tried to build a 20 story luxury tower in Sac. If something like that had been proposed 2 or 3 years ago instead of Aura and CapTowers (not in competition with) I think it would have sold out and maybe even be nearing completion. But I know some folks here don't consider 20 stories a highrise. :cool:

foxmtbr
May 6, 2007, 1:37 AM
^ I'll propose one in 10 years, after I become an architect. :)

... I hope to God the market grows between now and then... :hahano:

urban_encounter
May 6, 2007, 2:41 AM
It's going to happen...

The Towers will end up being built.

There's too much money already invested, and too many movers and shakers working to make it happen.

Aura on the other hand.................

:goodnight:

Web
May 6, 2007, 6:03 AM
"Saca did not return a telephone call seeking comment. Mark Cordano of Sacramento-based Cordano Co. said his company has put its Towers retail marketing efforts "on hold" for now."

What does this mean???? Marketing efforts on hold on a project about to have good news????

ozone
May 6, 2007, 6:04 PM

Oh come on. All this drama about the Towers and Aura is just a moment in time. If none of planned lux condo highrises get built within the next -say 5 years that doesn't mean it'll never happen. It may be just hella bad timing for sure. But let's look at the postives ..we have two office towers underway and a number of low-midrise infills, K Street renovations, The Railyards..etc.
Grand schemes never quite materializing as planned is not just a Sacramento phenomenon. This is the typical two steps forward, three steps back thing.

ozone
May 6, 2007, 6:38 PM
I've notice that work has finally started on Hotel Orleans project in Old Sacramento. The 50,000 sq. ft. project will include ground floor retail and upper floor residential with parking on site. Also D&S Development is almost finished with their 9 for sale lofts in the Mechanics Exchange Building on I Steet. In my opinion this is exactly the type of development that Old Sac needs.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/641/orleanshotelalonetopviebo6.gif

enigma99a
May 6, 2007, 8:15 PM
Oh come on. All this drama about the Towers and Aura is just a moment in time. If none of planned lux condo highrises get built within the next -say 5 years that doesn't mean it'll never happen. It may be just hella bad timing for sure. But let's look at the postives ..we have two office towers underway and a number of low-midrise infills, K Street renovations, The Railyards..etc.
Grand schemes never quite materializing as planned is not just a Sacramento phenomenon. This is the typical two steps forward, three steps back thing.

Actually my post was a little sarcasm dating back to the Metro Place (32 story mixed used project) time period (year 2002). At that time, Ingemanson could not secure a lender because banks said, "It can't be done in Sac", which is bullshit as we all know. Since at that time housing was booming and office vacancy in Sacramento was among the lowest in the nation. So until lenders in Chicago and NYC understand that Sacramento really isn't a cowtown as the stereotype implies, we won't be seeing anything.

SacUrbnPlnr
May 6, 2007, 8:31 PM
It may be helpul to put things in the long-term perspective. I have lived in Sacramento for 25 years and have seen several hot and cold cycles in the economy and homebuilding. Each new cycle brings new and better opportunities, and the long term-trends has been onward, upward, and better for our fair City.

Sure, there are lot of short-term ziga and zags and daily drama--one day Aura or Sac Towers is going to get built, the next day it's not. But the long-term fundamentals for Sacramento are excellent.

Trying to devine what will happen one, two, five, ten, or thirty years from now in Sacramento based on the daily news is like trying to predict where the stock market is going in the long term based on the daily changes. One day, the Dow Jones is up 150 points, the next day down 350 points. One day, consumer confidence is up, the next day business investment is down. So what?

The bottom line is that Sacramento has a lot of positives, as well as some challenges that still need to be addressed, but there is definetly a segment of the population that yearns for high quality urban living near where the urban action is. I am convinced that this segment of the population will continue to grow as Sacramento matures.

The only question is: can the development community deliver what a significant number of people in the region seem to want at a price they are willing to pay? Time will tell.

brandon12
May 6, 2007, 9:23 PM
^very well said. Great points. I agree 100%.

SacUrbnPlnr
May 6, 2007, 9:27 PM
^very well said. Great points. I agree 100%.

Thank you.

ltsmotorsport
May 6, 2007, 10:33 PM
Right there with you guys.

Sacdelicious
May 7, 2007, 7:02 PM
The Firestone building has placed a notice to sell alcoholic beverages by the California Pizza Kitchen! Also, parking has been limited on the exposed portion of the building. It looks like work may resume there.

arod74
May 7, 2007, 8:10 PM
The Firestone building has placed a notice to sell alcoholic beverages by the California Pizza Kitchen! Also, parking has been limited on the exposed portion of the building. It looks like work may resume there.

I dig the art-deco look of the Firestone and was looking forward its refurb but am I the only one underwhelmed by the choice of eatery??? I was hoping for something similiar to Zucalo or Mikuni's with how they transformed a unique local into something special. Oh well I guess time will tell...

creamcityleo79
May 7, 2007, 8:22 PM
I think CPK and other mid-priced restaurants are just as important for DT/MT as Mikuni and Zucalo. It'll bring more "state worker-types" there on their lunch hour and maybe entice them to stay a little longer and see what else there is after 5. Also, depending on how late it's open, it'll give the younger crowd a place to hang out after a night of drinking. There's lots of opportunities. I think it'll be a good thing.

innov8
May 7, 2007, 8:32 PM
I dig the art-deco look of the Firestone and was looking forward its refurb but am I the only one underwhelmed by the choice of eatery??? I was hoping for something similiar to Zucalo or Mikuni's with how they transformed a unique local into something special. Oh well I guess time will tell...

Yeah, I aggree... but it beats a Pizza Hut. So will there be multiple
eateries at the Firestone and what other purposes will the building be used for?

SacTownKing916
May 7, 2007, 11:48 PM
Does anyone know the time frame when CPK is suppose to open. Thanks

ltsmotorsport
May 8, 2007, 4:30 AM
Well, CPK isn't the flashiest of places, but from what I've seen of the new one that opened here in SLO at the end of last summer, it should be a good fit for the area, for all the reasons neuhickman pointed out. And if they do it anything like the one here in SLO, the bar should be quite extensive. :yes:

SacTownAndy
May 8, 2007, 3:24 PM
I personally love CPK and it would probably draw me down to those blocks much more frequently than an occasional dinner at Mikuni, PF Chang's, or Lucca. CPK type establishments at least for me are more like weekly visits, whereas the forementioned (Mikuni, Zocalo, etc) would probably be more on a monthly basis or for special occasions.

brandon12
May 8, 2007, 4:42 PM
^I agree. As I've said, we need more than just the cool, trendy places for people in their 20s and 30s. We also need to give families and others a reason to go dt/mt.

plus, you know the Marriot is psyched that their guests will have a nice restaurant that is very familiar to them just around the corner from their hotel. sometimes when people travel, they appreciate a familiar restaurant.
At the end of the day, I think everyone on this thread will appreciate the traffic a CPK generates.

otnemarcaS
May 8, 2007, 9:19 PM
CPK is exactly the kind of restaurant that will do that location a great service. All you have to do is go to the CPK at Arden Fair and in San Francisco. This restaurant chain packs in the crowds and their customers are very diverse. For me, I really, really like CPK's pizzas and other menu items and as stated by others above, it's a place you can go at least 3 to 4 times a month. Their restaurant decor is bright and inviting and I really see this location being another high volume store. It's much closer to me than the Arden Fair location so I am sure to check it out a few times a month. Can't wait for them to open.

arod74
May 9, 2007, 1:20 AM
:previous: Well I dont have as much of a problem with Cal Pizza Kitchen in general as I do the idea of it being the tenant. I agree with everyone that CPK can certainly drive some traffic with its reasonable pricing for all types of customers. My only issue is that the building can be a really special place given its architecture and location but I think it cant reach its full potential as a CPK. I would much rather see the CPK go in next door at the Marriot or 800 J lofts. There is certainly room for all types of eateries downtown but I cant help but feel a little cheated when a great spot is leased by only an average chain restaurant. I guess you have to take what you can get and hope for the best...

ozone
May 9, 2007, 2:12 AM
:previous: I haven't been to a CPK since the first couples of years they opened in LA but hell KFC would be preferable to a boarded-up, decaying tire store. I don't like chains but every city has them -whatever it takes is my mantra.

urban_encounter
May 9, 2007, 1:54 PM
:previous: Well I dont have as much of a problem with Cal Pizza Kitchen in general as I do the idea of it being the tenant. I agree with everyone that CPK can certainly drive some traffic with its reasonable pricing for all types of customers. My only issue is that the building can be a really special place given its architecture and location but I think it cant reach its full potential as a CPK. I would much rather see the CPK go in next door at the Marriot or 800 J lofts. There is certainly room for all types of eateries downtown but I cant help but feel a little cheated when a great spot is leased by only an average chain restaurant. I guess you have to take what you can get and hope for the best...

I agree 100%

innov8
May 10, 2007, 3:18 PM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4594/firestonelayoutcz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

After snooping around the Livinginurbansac blog and looking back into the
archives, I found this layout for the Firestone. If this plan is current, we should
hear about another restaurant to fill the building.

sugit
May 10, 2007, 3:50 PM
I've always been under the impression that Roy's and Flemings were the other two restaurants, along with the Irish Pub brandon told us about.

TowerDistrict
May 10, 2007, 5:20 PM
There looks to be some good activity on the Firestone Building. This is select information pulled from a permit search on the property..

4/27/2007

3RD STORY ADDITON TO EXISTING BUILDING..EXTERIOR SHELL DESIGN. ADDING SERVICE COMPONETS AND CIRCULATION CORE TO BUILDING.

Contacts...
Name: RON VRILAKAS
Business: VRILAKAS ARCHITECTS

innov8
May 10, 2007, 5:58 PM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8981/newrenderingzv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I just pulled this updated floor plan off the Cordano web site. I first thought
the night club would be upstairs... I wonder what's planned for up there now?

sugit
May 10, 2007, 7:11 PM
There looks to be some good activity on the Firestone Building. This is select information pulled from a permit search on the property..
4/27/2007
3RD STORY ADDITON TO EXISTING BUILDING..EXTERIOR SHELL DESIGN. ADDING SERVICE COMPONETS AND CIRCULATION CORE TO BUILDING.
Contacts...
Name: RON VRILAKAS
Business: VRILAKAS ARCHITECTS

I wonder what the 3rd story is going to be? Nice to see them adding a little something to the site, even if it is one extra floor.

Also, I figured the Irish Pub would be the nightclub, but maybe there will be two places

urban_encounter
May 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
Ron Vrilakas is the archtiect for the Firestone makeover; so you can expect a beautiful building at 16th and L that adds quite a bit of vibrancy to an already booming part of DT/MT..

sugit
May 11, 2007, 1:40 AM
Yeah, I agree. Vrilakas does really good infill and rehad work. 16th and J, 18th and Capitol, and 18th and L, all his work, are two of the most vibrant areas in DT/MT.

He's also the archtiect for the 700 K Street and Capitol Lofts rehad, when and if they happen.

His design for the where Fremont Mews are now was awesome. Too bad CADA didn't choose it.

If you get a chance, read his writings/publications on his website under 'practice'
http://www.vrilakasarchitects.com/home.html

SacTownAndy
May 11, 2007, 5:31 PM
^ I had a chance to meet him when I was in the planning academy. He's probably one of the city's most eloquent supporters of urban infill and smart growth policies. Expect great things from his firm.

arod74
May 11, 2007, 7:54 PM
Feeling much better about the Firestone project now. Much thanks innov8 for the additional details and floorplans. It looks like Vrilakas has really put together a nice concept...

sugit
May 11, 2007, 9:00 PM
Residence Inn makes itself at home in downtown Sacramento
Extended-stay chain's site near Capitol Park is its fourth urban hotel

The Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Sacramento will join 496 others around the world in its chain, but it also will join a much more select group of peers -- it will be only the fourth Residence Inn in the heart of a city.

The urban extended-stay inns are tall buildings built in downtowns. They have higher room rates than their two- and three-story suburban counterparts.

Marriott International Inc. invented the concept of "extended stay" hotels in the 1970s by adding a fully stocked kitchenette to a hotel room to create a home-away-from-home -- usually out in the suburbs.

So far, there are only three of the urban Residences -- in Denver; Austin, Texas; and in New York City's Manhattan.

The fourth will be the 240-room Residence Inn at 15th and L streets, across from Capitol Park, set to open in early June. It had been scheduled to open this month, but completion has been delayed by some irksome little items, including couches that turned out to be too big to get into the rooms without taking their legs off and removing each room's door.

The rooms are finished to a standard exceeding Marriott's requirements. There are marble kitchen counters and window sills. Each of the two-bedroom suites contain three flat-screen televisions -- one for each bedroom and the living room.

There are 24 two bedroom suites, 10 of them corner rooms overlooking the Capitol. Those rooms will have a premium weekday rate of $299, about $30 more than those without the Capitol view.

"We're still working on setting our rates," said Tess Dubois-Carey, general manager of the hotel. Interest and demand so far has been very strong, she said.

Studio rooms, which include a kitchenette, living area, couch and sleeping area, will fetch around $190 a night on weekdays. One-bedroom suites would be priced between $200 and $300 a night.

Suburban Residence Inns such as those in South Natomas, Rancho Cordova, Roseville and on Howe Avenue get around $210 on weekdays for two-room suites and $170 for singles.

The addition of the new hotel downtown is a benefit to the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau because it can set aside room blocks for future conventions, bureau president Steve Hammond said.

"It's going to be a nice addition to downtown," said Gunter Stannius, general manager of the Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel. But he is always concerned about room supply, demand and rate.

"If the demand is there, they will get the rate," Stannius said. "If not, then they have to start lowering rates, and everyone has to watch that."

One of the perks of Residence Inns is complimentary breakfast. The downtown inn is adding an urban touch with a winemaker's forum some afternoons.

Thirty condominiums occupy the three top floors of the hotel. They'll have a separate ground-floor entrance and elevator; guests won't have direct access to the condo units through the lobby elevators.

(Those corner units have awesome views.)
http://cll.bizjournals.com/story_image/82359-400-0.jpg?rev=2

Phillip
May 11, 2007, 10:23 PM
The Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Sacramento will join 496 others around the world in its chain, but it also will join a much more select group of peers -- it will be only the fourth Residence Inn in the heart of a city.

The urban extended-stay inns are tall buildings built in downtowns. They have higher room rates than their two- and three-story suburban counterparts.

Marriott International Inc. invented the concept of "extended stay" hotels in the 1970s by adding a fully stocked kitchenette to a hotel room to create a home-away-from-home -- usually out in the suburbs.

So far, there are only three of the urban Residences -- in Denver; Austin, Texas; and in New York City's Manhattan.This doesn't take anything away from Sac's new Residence Inn, but there are at least a couple other downtown "urban" RI's besides the ones mentioned, in Portland and Minneapolis.

http://marriott.com/hotels/photo-tours.mi?marshaCode=pdxri&pageID=HWHOM&imageID=0

http://marriott.com/hotels/photo-tours.mi?marshaCode=mspri&pageID=HWHOM&imageID=0

The ResInn in downtown Minneapolis is peculiar as it's built on top of a 9-story parking structure. The hotel lobby is at ground level but the first rooms are ten floors up.

innov8
May 12, 2007, 5:36 AM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3316/621cmcapitolmall2007032bi4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Glass is starting to go up on the back side.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/548/500cm20070511fiq3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BrianSac
May 12, 2007, 2:15 PM
Bob Shallit: Condos join plan for 10th, K revival
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, May 12, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

Developers working on a cabaret and restaurant complex at the corner of 10th and K have even bigger plans for three adjacent parcels: They want to build a 21-story condo tower there.

The developers -- David S. Taylor Interests and the CIM Group of Los Angeles -- have an exclusive right to negotiate with the city for the three parcels, on the south side of K Street between 10th and 11th.

If a just-launched environmental study finds no serious problems, Taylor and CIM hope to sign a development agreement and acquire the parcels in December, says Elle Warner, a VP with Taylor Interests.

Early plans, from architect WRNS Studio of San Francisco, call for a "green" building with 158 for-sale units, Warner says. Most would be about 900 square feet but larger penthouses would occupy the top two floors. No prices have yet been set.

Other downtown condo projects have run into financing problems. But Warner says her group is optimistic.

"There's never been a question about demand," she says. "It's really about putting it all together."

At some point, she adds in reference to the prospects of downtown housing taking off, "the stars will line up."

Taking off: Meanwhile, work has begun on the cabaret project at the southeast corner of 10th and K -- and at an office condo project on the key intersection's northeast corner.

Removal of hazardous materials began three weeks ago at the future cabaret site, formerly the Woolworth building. The hope, Warner says, is to begin construction this summer on a 200-seat venue for the California Musical Theatre along with a restaurant and lounge to be run by Randy Paragary.

Across the street, at 1001 K, interior demo work is nearly done and the Trancas Fund of St. Helena soon will be launching a building rehab and facelift. End result: Five stories of office condos above a first-floor restaurant, says Jerry Fournier, regional manager for project contractor J.B. Olsen.

City officials have tried for years to spark development at 10th & K. Amazingly, it's finally happening.

sugit
May 12, 2007, 5:15 PM
Awesome. Originally it was going to be a 14 story building. Good news!

Also, CIM has its own financing company division, so that shouldn't be a problem at all

bennywah
May 12, 2007, 5:35 PM
^
and Taylor has a good track record in sacramento highrise development.

buckfmsac
May 12, 2007, 5:55 PM
could be interesting to see how this shorter condo project, but equally as important as others, pans out?

sugit
May 12, 2007, 6:49 PM
I agree, Buck. I've thought we would see the Towers and Aura go up, but after that we would see the smaller projects (but as you said, important) happen in Sac well before another monster size one like The Towers.

Between Ella's, the new theatre, Paragary restuant and lounge, the restraunt at the office condo's building, that should add a nice boast of foot traffic to the area. Along with this condo project, hopefully Cathedral Sqaure can happen in the next year as well to add more residence just on the other side of the block.

Now if the city can just get the 700 and 800 block out of the courts...

ltsmotorsport
May 12, 2007, 8:47 PM
Well, WRNS Studios are the same guys doing K Street Central, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with for this tower.

Phillip
May 12, 2007, 8:52 PM
K Street really needs a boost and Taylor's proposed tower could be the thing that kickstarts a turnaround there. Capitol Mall will be just fine whether Towers and Aura get built or not. In that sense the 10th and K project is more important to Sacramento than Towers or Aura, even though it's smaller.

sugit
May 12, 2007, 9:00 PM
10th and K is pretty darn important, esp since it's being built around exsisting businesses that can feed off each other..but thoese 1000 housing units, along with the hotel get a lot of people within a very short distance of all these places on K Street..people that will spend money there..along with some expected pretty high retail in Aura and The Towers are pretty darn important too.

Hell, anything that gets built DT is important..ha

friedpez
May 12, 2007, 11:28 PM
^ I agree. I think between Aura and the Towers, Aura is more important for K Street because its residents will be within walking distance of the pedestrian mall portion. Residents of the Towers will have their own little "city" with shops and restaurants, spa and gym, etc, but Aura's residents will have to leave the "compound" if they really want anything substantial. Plus, Towers residents are at 3rd & CM, and I doubt most will walk from there to let's say 10th & K. Instead, they're likely to drive and once they're in their cars, they may just head for Midtown, instead. That's why I think Aura is really important, at least for Downtown's most "needy" spots.

friedpez
May 12, 2007, 11:46 PM
To illustrate my point I made a map. Towers walking area in red, Aura in blue, overlap in grey. I just think that Towers residents won't walk too far from the site because they have more amenities on-site than Aura...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/friedpez/walkingarea.jpg

sugit
May 12, 2007, 11:53 PM
Aura residence will have an easy walk to K Street, even the The Towers people are 8-9 blocks away from 10th and K, that's not very far either. The proposed streetcar route would take The Towers residence right to K Street though, that's even easier. The Towers residence won't need to leave as often like you said, but if they want to go to the theatre or something, they will have to. That is where I hope the Streetcars really help.

sugit
May 13, 2007, 12:05 AM
Okay, I have a question: When someone puts a "^I agree" does that mean you are agreeing with the post directly above, or the post above the one directly above you?

I guess I could just ask friedpez which post he agreed with and that would answer the question.

friedpez
May 13, 2007, 12:14 AM
Lol good question... personally, I use "^ I agree" to mean I agree with the post directly above my response. So yes, I was agreeing with what you were saying about the fact that anything that gets built in downtown is important.

sugit
May 13, 2007, 12:22 AM
okay, cool..thanks

downtownserg89
May 13, 2007, 1:10 AM
once the citizen and parlarle open up to the public, and if the metropolitan and the cathedral lofts ever get built, they will REALLY liven up J street between 10th and 11th st. I'm excited for that, since i live on 10th st! :D

creamcityleo79
May 13, 2007, 7:51 AM
Okay, I have a question: When someone puts a "^I agree" does that mean you are agreeing with the post directly above, or the post above the one directly above you?

I guess I could just ask friedpez which post he agreed with and that would answer the question.
It always helps me to check the posting time when I see things like "^I agree". If the person agrees with the person directly above them the posting time will probably be more than 5 or 10 mins after the post above them. But, if the posting time is less than 5 mins, then it's possible that the person is responding to the post that is 2 posts above them. That reminds me, just to confuse you even more, check this out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo

When I read this, it made me crazy trying to figure it out! Just like the post above the post above the post above the post! AAAAAGH! ;)

foxmtbr
May 13, 2007, 9:33 PM
^ That article is classic!

sugit
May 14, 2007, 4:22 AM
Speaking of Wikipedia..these could use some updates, who better than us to do it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown%2C_Sacramento%2C_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Sacramento

sacamenna kid
May 14, 2007, 6:29 AM
once the citizen and parlarle open up to the public, and if the metropolitan and the cathedral lofts ever get built, they will REALLY liven up J street between 10th and 11th st. I'm excited for that, since i live on 10th st! :D

What's the parlarle?

sugit
May 14, 2007, 7:04 AM
Parlare Euro Lounge (http://www.parlarelounge.com/)

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7564/1334/320/847126/untitled.jpg

downtownserg89
May 14, 2007, 7:15 AM
i walked by the parlarle site earlier, and they're making lots of progress! again, i wish i were old enough to hit one of these places up. :rolleyes:

Grimnebulin
May 14, 2007, 4:53 PM
i walked by the parlarle site earlier, and they're making lots of progress! again, i wish i were old enough to hit one of these places up. :rolleyes:

My friend from SF is good friends with the owners of this place. I'm trying to get more info from him about what's happening with it. I *think* he said they are originally from Sacto but now live in SF. He says they've had a few private events so far but are still working on the main opening. :shrug:

sugit
May 15, 2007, 1:50 AM
300 R Street – Located on the block bounded by 3rd, 4th, R, and S Streets. A request to develop a six (6) story, +/- 490,000 square foot residential mixed use building. The project will include 305 residential units along with 14,000 ground floor retail along R Street. A parking structure will be provided for on-site parking.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5530/untitledqn2.png

sugit
May 15, 2007, 2:02 AM
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7540/untitled1wn2.png

TowerDistrict
May 15, 2007, 4:49 PM
300 R Street – Located on the block bounded by 3rd, 4th, R, and S Streets. A request to develop a six (6) story, +/- 490,000 square foot residential mixed use building. The project will include 305 residential units along with 14,000 ground floor retail along R Street. A parking structure will be provided for on-site parking.

I was able to attend a short presentation of this project by the developer Sares Regis. Great company known for Metro Square, Metro Place (W. Sac), Iron Works, SoCap Lofts I & II.

It was interesting that this project is basically a decked out parking garage - they needed parking for nearby offices, and we're able to combine that with this project, add 300 residential units and parking for them, and retail too.

They also added that the land has already been aquired - so they could start soon. In contrast, Sares Regis had sat on an option to buy the land for SoCap for three years before deciding to go for it.

TowerDistrict
May 15, 2007, 8:25 PM
Awesome. Originally it was going to be a 14 story building. Good news!

remember the models johninsac discovered and posted from the architect's website? Maybe the tower might look something like that, considering it's the same architectural firm, and about the same amount of floors?? also, that office condo project on the north-west corner is being designed by the same firm - WRNS Studio (http://www.wrnsstudio.com/)

on a side note, i didn't notice it earlier... but I'm pretty sure the architect made a big mistake of putting the whole project on the wrong block when they made these cool models...

http://www.wayfaring.com/waypt/image1/100213/KStreetCentral1-xlarge.png

innov8
May 16, 2007, 5:37 AM
on a side note, i didn't notice it earlier... but I'm pretty sure the architect made a big mistake of putting the whole project on the wrong block when they made these cool models...

The original proposal for K Street Central included three corner blocks at 10th and K...
David Taylor with CIM Group are in a partnership to develop both the southeast
and northeast corners of K Street. Phase one included a renovation of the existing
Woolworth bldg. Phase two is northwest corner that is pictured above.