PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

bmfarley
May 17, 2008, 7:24 PM
So is the SD to LA segment no longer regulated to the second phase? If this is so then this is great news.
If AB 3034 passes in the state legislature, that would be correct. It may have already passed as it was scheduled to be discussed last week or the week before.

Among the objectives of AB 3034, one would be that any segment of the HSR system is eleigible for the bond money. And, prioritization is given to segments that have the greatest financial viability and greatest ridership opportunity.

Because the SD to LA link is anticpated to carry large numbers, and it's shorter with few tunnels (if any?)... it should rank very well when it comes time to decide which segments to order construction. However, the SD-LA link is behind in engineering work to date... as LA-SF efforts have been the focus for the past 2-4 years.

SDCAL
May 17, 2008, 7:58 PM
I looked up the bill on the CA legisltaure website. It says "suspense file" which means it's not dead, but it's not flying through approval either

It look slike it passed the transporation committe but is held up with appropriations, no big surprise :sly:

COMPLETE BILL HISTORY

BILL NUMBER : A.B. No. 3034
AUTHOR : Galgiani
TOPIC : Safe, Reliable High-Speed Passenger Train Bond Act for the 21st
Century.

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Urgency
Non-Appropriations
2/3 Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

BILL HISTORY
May 7 In committee: Set, first hearing. Referred to APPR. suspense
file.
Apr. 22 Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
Apr. 21 Read second time and amended.
Apr. 17 From committee: Amend, do pass as amended, and re-refer to Com. on
APPR. (Ayes 10. Noes 0.) (April 14).
Apr. 10 Re-referred to Com. on TRANS.
Apr. 9 From committee chair, with author's amendments: Amend, and re-refer
to Com. on TRANS. Read second time and amended.
Mar. 13 Referred to Com. on TRANS.
Feb. 25 Read first time.
Feb. 24 From printer. May be heard in committee March 25.
Feb. 22 Introduced. To print

PadreHomer
May 17, 2008, 9:06 PM
Burger King downtown has closed

bmfarley
May 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
I looked up the bill on the CA legisltaure website. It says "suspense file" which means it's not dead, but it's not flying through approval either

It look slike it passed the transporation committe but is held up with appropriations, no big surprise :sly:

COMPLETE BILL HISTORY

BILL NUMBER : A.B. No. 3034
AUTHOR : Galgiani
TOPIC : Safe, Reliable High-Speed Passenger Train Bond Act for the 21st
Century.

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Urgency
Non-Appropriations
2/3 Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

BILL HISTORY
May 7 In committee: Set, first hearing. Referred to APPR. suspense
file.
Apr. 22 Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
Apr. 21 Read second time and amended.
Apr. 17 From committee: Amend, do pass as amended, and re-refer to Com. on
APPR. (Ayes 10. Noes 0.) (April 14).
Apr. 10 Re-referred to Com. on TRANS.
Apr. 9 From committee chair, with author's amendments: Amend, and re-refer
to Com. on TRANS. Read second time and amended.
Mar. 13 Referred to Com. on TRANS.
Feb. 25 Read first time.
Feb. 24 From printer. May be heard in committee March 25.
Feb. 22 Introduced. To print

It looks like it is moving along nicely. And, not held up and in limbo as you seem to indicate. The last action was only on May 7th, 10 days ago. Proper scheduling and committee agenda planning seems it would take at least a week or two, maybe more, before a bill moves onto the next committee.

From everything I have heard, the bill is welcomed by many and not controversial.... it's passage a matter of crossing t's and dotting i's is all that is needed.

bmfarley
May 18, 2008, 2:32 AM
So were you there? In the court? The judge gave Simplon till May 1st to finalize some deals and see where they are at that time. SDG tried to push it but the judge saw the truth and allowed more time for help... that's the whole reason for filing Chapter 11. Now we wait and see if Simplon can get the loan docs all ready and closed before then or at least closer. SDG didn't have the evidence to back up it's claim like Simplon and it just seemed that Simplon was just more classy then the sharks on the other side. One small step in the right direction for the small guy!
May 1st came and went! Any news on this project? Nothing was in the UT... at least that surfaced in a search.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development/cms.jpg
Photo courtesy of Jaygergon's account on photobucket

ShekelPop
May 18, 2008, 3:30 AM
This might have been discussed on here already but how about that empty space behind America Plaza on Kettner and B. I know it's underground parking. I am assuming Irvine Company owns that too? Is anything planned to go on top of that? What a waste of great space.

CCDC is planning for a park/plaza in that space, an RFP went out some time earlier in the year, I can't recall if a contract was issued yet or to whom

SDCAL
May 18, 2008, 7:05 PM
It looks like it is moving along nicely. And, not held up and in limbo as you seem to indicate. The last action was only on May 7th, 10 days ago. Proper scheduling and committee agenda planning seems it would take at least a week or two, maybe more, before a bill moves onto the next committee.

From everything I have heard, the bill is welcomed by many and not controversial.... it's passage a matter of crossing t's and dotting i's is all that is needed.

I made the comment because at the most recent hearing it says "suspense file"

that just didn't sound good, but maybe it's nothing that will hold it up

HurricaneHugo
May 19, 2008, 8:41 AM
This might have been discussed on here already but how about that empty space behind America Plaza on Kettner and B. I know it's underground parking. I am assuming Irvine Company owns that too? Is anything planned to go on top of that? What a waste of great space.

America Plaza 2 was planned to go up there, but I think it got shot down. :(

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development/oneam2.bmp

HurricaneHugo
May 19, 2008, 8:42 AM
I wouldn't call it a toy. Lindbergh is not one why should this project be considered simply b/c it's not yet a reality here yet?

Huh?

bmfarley
May 19, 2008, 1:49 PM
Huh?

?

keg92101
May 19, 2008, 2:17 PM
May 1st came and went! Any news on this project? Nothing was in the UT... at least that surfaced in a search.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development/cms.jpg
Photo courtesy of Jaygergon's account on photobucket

Well, the dude ain't posting anything, so he's probably out...

sandiegodweller
May 19, 2008, 9:08 PM
Well, the dude ain't posting anything, so he's probably out...

The hearing on this motion has been delayed. It is now set for May 27. But it could be delayed again.

bmfarley
May 19, 2008, 10:46 PM
Where were you when the Hilton blew today?

Taken approximately 5 minutes after teh explosion from my crummy 4mp camera:

Hilton; 5 minutes after explosion
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/Hilton1.jpg

CoastersBolts
May 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
Here's the Link to the story, updated at about 3:30PM today (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080519-1513-hotelexplosion.html)

The explosion was so big that people in Point Loma, I'm seeing on the news, thought it was an earthquake! Wow, that's bad. Imagine if this place were open and this happened? My hearts go out to the people who were hurt today.

Fusey
May 20, 2008, 12:03 AM
I thought I was losing it as I was driving out of downtown and swore I heard something. :( Hopefully these guys who were injured are doing okay.

aaron38
May 20, 2008, 2:23 AM
I just heard about this on CNN. What would explode inside a concrete building?
A gas leak is the only thing I can think of. Gas must have filled a mechanical room and then sparked. But you'd think someone would have smelled a leak that big... wow.
They're really lucky no one was killed.

CoastersBolts
May 20, 2008, 6:30 AM
The local news reported that indeed there was a gas leak in the mechanical room and something ignited it and it blew. While the fire department has determined that the gas leak caused the explosion, what has not been determined is what ignited it. This hotel was supposed to open in December, but clearly that's not going to happen. I wonder how much of the rest of the building sustained damage and what will have to be done to the entire building as a result of the blast.

kpexpress
May 20, 2008, 6:42 AM
so you think there is a chance that they will change the design of the building?

Marina_Guy
May 20, 2008, 2:05 PM
so you think there is a chance that they will change the design of the building?

As much a chance as Hillary has being the nominee.

What is with that ramp going into the hotel? Looks like an airport arrivals deck. Go take a picture from Coronado of that hotel, what an architectural mess... I thought the Hyatt was bad. The massing on the bottom of this 'hotel' is dreadful.

JDRCRASH
May 20, 2008, 4:54 PM
I heard about this all over the news, good thing nobody's dead. And hopefully this Major project will remain on schedule for completion, but I doubt it, considering the magnitude of damage sustained by the blast.

Here is a closer look at it:

http://www.necn.com/files/2008/05/19/vlcsnap-2247563.jpg

bmfarley
May 20, 2008, 8:07 PM
I heard about this all over the news, good thing nobody's dead. And hopefully this Major project will remain on schedule for completion, but I doubt it, considering the magnitude of damage sustained by the blast.

Here is a closer look at it:

http://www.necn.com/files/2008/05/19/vlcsnap-2247563.jpg

I have a little optomism that it will not be delayed that much. There was no structural damage and it appears 90% of the damage was to the exterior facde panelling. That panelling is manufactured off-side and put into pace. Perhaps the developer can have the affected panels redone elesewhere and fit into place.

SDCAL
May 20, 2008, 8:45 PM

I just read that "suspense file" means there is a slight chance the bill could be brought up again, but it most likely won't be considered again this legislative session, so I'm afraid it is stalled

SDCAL
May 20, 2008, 8:47 PM
there is some type of activity at the cosmo square construction site. It doesn't look like any preps for constructing, but they are doing something with lots of wooden pallate looking things and signs are up reading "Morely Construction"

anybody know whats happening there?????

Derek
May 20, 2008, 9:19 PM
Go ask them for us. :D

bmfarley
May 21, 2008, 3:11 AM
The Voice of San Diego paints a picture that City Attorney Mike Acquire was allegedly trying to blackmail Mayor Sanders.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2008/05/20/this_just_in/138sunroad052008.txt

Through an aid. the City Attorney's Office wanted to retain 17 employee positions and tried to get their way by hanging a Sunroad Pressure Dimmer Switch over Sander's head.

The State Attorney General has cleared Sander's of any wrong doing. Nothing is said of Mike Acquire.

malsponger
May 21, 2008, 5:12 AM
On the subject of ugly buildings... Just went by UTC for the first time in what seems like a few months today. How about those newer Costa Verde towers that went up in the last year (or two?). They look like the belong in the middle of an Indian reservation. Not even worthy of Vegas.

HurricaneHugo
May 21, 2008, 8:37 AM
it was just one that went up last year, the other two have been there for years

but yeah, they're ugly

and damn just found out about the hilton explosion

although it doesn't seem to have caused damage to the superstructure so i don't think it'll delay it by much

mongoXZ
May 26, 2008, 3:07 PM
Redevelopment agency critical of hotel design

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – The design of what would be the West Coast's largest hotel is getting slammed by downtown San Diego's redevelopment agency.
Centre City Development Corp. Chairman Fred Maas described the proposed Marriott hotel as a “fortress” at a recent meeting.

“These folks want their customers to leave this hotel about as much as the state of California wants their customers to leave San Quentin,” Maas said, referring to the state prison.

In response, Marriott's lawyer in San Diego said the company will work with the downtown agency on the design.

“This is a major project, and we are very proud of it and want to be proud of it when it's completed,” attorney Lynne Heidel said.

Maas is not the only critic at the redevelopment agency. The agency's architecture consultant said the proposed 1,929-room Ballpark Village Marriott would be “crammed” onto a tight city block “with almost no regard to the surrounding neighborhood.”

The consultant, Santa Monica architect Gwynne Pugh, also said the base of the building “offers no redeeming design features for the district.”

At its heart, the consultant's gripe is that the design of the hotel, which will attract roughly 240,000 guests a year, does little to connect its visitors with the shops and cafes of downtown San Diego. An elevator would shoot guests up to the fifth floor for check-in, which would perhaps keep them cloistered in Marriott restaurants and stores.

That's not ideal for tourist-dependent San Diego, which wants an exciting urban district downtown.
The hotel is expected to eventually supply $18 million in yearly hotel taxes to the city. The project also would mean $7 million a year in new redevelopment taxes for downtown.

JMI Realty, the real estate company of Padres owner John Moores, is pursuing the permits for the hotel on behalf of Marriott Corp. The hotel company's chairman, Bill Marriott, has been personally involved in the design.

Marriott will need special permission to get what it wants, as it is proposing to make the building bigger and bulkier than allowed in the city-approved 2005 master plan for the five blocks in the JMI-owned Ballpark Village zone just east of Petco Park.

The downtown agency is particularly concerned about two aspects of the plan.

The hotel's walls would shoot straight up 150 to 190 feet from the street, instead of the up to 90 feet allowed in the original plan. The potential problem: Tall, sheer walls can make a building seem unwelcoming to pedestrians, the agency says.

Marriott also wants to make the building more bulky at the base before the two 500-foot towers start.

Another potential problem is the hotel might block views of the Coronado Bridge for people entering downtown on 10th Avenue and from the reading room of the proposed new main library at Park Boulevard and K Street, the agency says. The downtown agency plans to use simulations to evaluate that.

While Marriott isn't requesting a public subsidy, San Diego taxpayers do have something invested in this project. A recently approved $26.8 million public pedestrian bridge over Harbor Drive will end at the hotel's doorstep and give guests easy access between Petco Park and the Convention Center.

Gary Smith, president of the San Diego Downtown Residents Group, suggests that if Marriott wants to bulk up its hotel, perhaps it should be asked to kick in for the pedestrian bridge or another public amenity downtown. Moores' company already is covering $4.9 million of the bridge cost.

“There should be some trade-offs,” Smith said. “They are asking for more benefits. We ought to get something in return.”

SDCAL
May 26, 2008, 10:20 PM
As the disgusting Marriott renderings illustrate what is SD's problem with doing anything creative with a high-rise? Why does everything need to look like it was built just to make a quick buck instead of looking like it was a well-thought out iconic piece of architecture that looks like it was designed by people who care about the local community instead of how to maximize their value by skimping on design and style.
People would not put up with this crap in world-class cities like New York, Chicago or San Francisco because the public demands more.
I am glad to see the CCDC does have at least SOME scruples when it comes to evaluating projects instead of just being a rubber-stamp.

Another example of a more creative project gone sour is the Kettner and Ash project by Bosa. Bosa is apparently more concerned with building a bunch of harbor-front towers that all look alike instead of injecting any creativity into them. I liked the first renderings, but the new ones make it look like a clone of all their other mediocre buildings:

NEW RENDERING:
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/kettenr%20ash%20aerial_1for%20web.jpg

OLD RENDERINGS:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development/kettner_alternative.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development/birdeye_alternative.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development/kettnernight2.jpg

It's as if someone is reviewing these saying, "THIS IS SAN DIEGO, MAKE YOUR PLANS MORE CONSERVATIVE AND BLAHHH"

OCtoSD
May 26, 2008, 10:58 PM
Kettner and West has not gone sour. He still intends to build it but I think in 2010. After the housing market comes back. That may seem like a long time but the Gehry Grand Avenue project in DTLA has been pushed to that date, As has another large residential project to 2009. And we are sitting pretty well compared to downtown la, which is truly a mess. Was there for work on Bunker hill in a law office, and you could see the people who had just gotten off the subway walking up tons of flights of steps. (the city purposely had sought to isolate bunker hill from the more minority and historic parts of downtown). At least Sd has a coherent, diverse, and accessible downtown.

SDCAL
Jun 1, 2008, 12:23 AM
:deadthread:

CoastersBolts
Jun 1, 2008, 3:41 AM
Any word on the status of 880 West Broadway (formerly 700 West Broadway)? For a building that is supposed to open in 2010 (from what I remember, correct me if I'm wrong), I haven't heard much since the project was announced around this time last year.

kpexpress
Jun 1, 2008, 6:31 AM
So I heard a commercial that showed Steve Francis talking about the need to get the developer out of City Hall, but on Papa Doug's website, he endorses Francis for mayor. I figure that that has something to do with getting his Navy Pier Complex built. I don't know what to think.

Can someone weigh in on which mayor (in their opinion) will bring bigger, faster change to downtown and in which way?

PLEASE, I am really curious about this, and voting is Tuesday.

HurricaneHugo
Jun 1, 2008, 7:59 PM
When the fuck are we voting?

keg92101
Jun 2, 2008, 4:08 PM
Best thing for SD is to vote for anyone but Aguirre!!!

SDCAL
Jun 2, 2008, 6:39 PM

Why? So we can go back to having everything done behind closed doors?

Aguirre gets a bad wrap, look at the city attorneys who existed before him, they were worse. Whos his nearest competition? Some old retired Republican superior court judge? Way worse

I'm voting for Aguirre

CoastersBolts
Jun 2, 2008, 9:52 PM
Any guy who, as city attorney, advocated for the evacuation of the whole city of San Diego to Yuma, AZ as a result of the October 2007 Firestorm will definitely not get my vote. I always found it so interesting that we didn't see his face during the week of, and the week immediately after, the Firestorm. There are a number of other issues I won't get into for the sake of argument that will lead me to vote against Mike Aguirre.

Before we get into a heated political debate, can anyone tell me what work is going on the top of One America Plaza? There was some scaffolding and black tarps surrounding the top of the pinnacle and now it seems like the top is shinier, for lack of a better term.

Fusey
Jun 2, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm still up in the air on who I'm going to vote for. I moved here 5 months ago and barely know the politics of this city.

staplesla
Jun 3, 2008, 2:07 AM

I agree. He's a joke.

bushman61988
Jun 3, 2008, 5:36 PM
Before we get into a heated political debate, can anyone tell me what work is going on the top of One America Plaza? There was some scaffolding and black tarps surrounding the top of the pinnacle and now it seems like the top is shinier, for lack of a better term.

Yea, I TOtally notice this! I was wondering if I was crazy and that black lining was always on the tower, bcuz at first I thought that was just some new lighting or new addition to the top, but now that I think of it, maybe it is some type of scaffolding or something to improve the top of probably our best tower...

Derek
Jun 3, 2008, 6:01 PM

I think they are just doing minor repairs and cleaning it up a bit. It does seem like it's been going on for a while though.

malsponger
Jun 4, 2008, 10:14 PM
Learning something new every day, I was just checking out some of the cameras around town and...
http://live6.truelook.com/timages/live6/ecodb/ecodb_1amnorth_camera1/imgbuf/buf_8444/1212614478562696.jpg
Fun fact of the day, the W hotel has a fake top floor.

HurricaneHugo
Jun 5, 2008, 8:26 AM
Aren't they remodeling it?

malsponger
Jun 5, 2008, 3:31 PM
Yes but I don't think the devious crown will have anything to do with it. I think the re-opening is sometime at the end of the month.

HurricaneHugo
Jun 6, 2008, 9:23 AM
Didn't it open like 2-3 years ago?

malsponger
Jun 6, 2008, 4:34 PM
Yeah i think you might be right, they had like a reopening of it. I think the official grand opening party still hasn't passed. At least that was what a buddy had said. You're right though. They did open it I think.

kpexpress
Jun 10, 2008, 3:38 AM
The Nolan had started construction. I saw them excavating the site the other day. Anyone have any pics to share?

ShekelPop
Jun 12, 2008, 5:29 PM
From the June 12 CCDC construction update, looks like the crane for Strata is going up this weekend, and the Marriot Residence Inn is getting the concrete poured. good news!

HurricaneHugo
Jun 13, 2008, 4:55 AM
The Nolan had started construction. I saw them excavating the site the other day. Anyone have any pics to share?

Who or what is the Nolan?

Derek
Jun 13, 2008, 5:19 AM
An office condo project in the East Village. That's all I know.

CoastersBolts
Jun 13, 2008, 6:39 AM
I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned about the fatal construction accident at Vantage Pointe today. A 21 year old worker fell 25 stories to his death after missing his step. Construction stopped immediately, and could delay the completion of the project which was scheduled for later this year. Between this and the Hilton Convention explosion, it hasn't been a good couple of weeks for construction workers in Downtown San Diego.

http://www.cbs8.com/stories/story.131106.html (http://www.cbs8.com/stories/story)

kpexpress
Jun 14, 2008, 7:16 AM
Who or what is the Nolan?

The Nolan is an office tower (office suites, one per floor) that is located on Sixth Ave between the ballpark storage building and the Hotel Solamar. Looks pretty sweet, today I biked past it and saw that they were putting in the soldier beam and lagging. Construction should move quick on this project as the scope of the whole project is quite small. But the thing should be pretty large, renderings show it towering over the Hotel Solamar by at least five floors.

Here is the project on the architects office
http://www.fehlmanlabarre.com/?#projects

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/TheNolensizedforweb.jpg

PadreHomer
Jun 14, 2008, 3:32 PM
The Nolan is an office tower (office suites, one per floor) that is located on Sixth Ave between the ballpark storage building and the Hotel Solamar. Looks pretty sweet, today I biked past it and saw that they were putting in the soldier beam and lagging. Construction should move quick on this project as the scope of the whole project is quite small. But the thing should be pretty large, renderings show it towering over the Hotel Solamar by at least five floors.

Here is the project on the architects office
http://www.fehlmanlabarre.com/?#projects

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/kpexpress42/TheNolensizedforweb.jpg
Walked by yesterday, they are drilling and driving piles right now, not much to see.

Derek
Jun 14, 2008, 8:19 PM
The self storage hurts my eyes. :(

TheFutureIsNow
Jun 14, 2008, 8:51 PM
About the Nolan, on the architect's page there is a different version than the one posted above (without angled balconies or the spire). Im not sure if its an earlier version or a redesign...

mello
Jun 16, 2008, 5:07 AM
Why would the death of one construction worker delaying the completion of a project that could be home to over 1,000 people? That makes no sense. Construction accidents happen all the time, they should not delay important projects. The article said it was a "miss step" sounds like an ordinary accident that doesn't need to cause a delay.

sandiegodweller
Jun 16, 2008, 5:32 AM
Why would the death of one construction worker delaying the completion of a project that could be home to over 1,000 people? That makes no sense. Construction accidents happen all the time, they should not delay important projects. The article said it was a "miss step" sounds like an ordinary accident that doesn't need to cause a delay.

When they were pouring the foundation of Diamond Terrace, a flagman who was directing traffic got run over by a cement truck. I saw the whole aftermath from my unit. They finished pouring the concrete early and delayed for the rest of the day (Saturday before Super Bowl). They were back on Monday with no more delays.

The awful part of the story was that the flagman's son was on the job also. They had to console him.

keg92101
Jun 17, 2008, 12:32 AM
When they were pouring the foundation of Diamond Terrace, a flagman who was directing traffic got run over by a cement truck. I saw the whole aftermath from my unit. They finished pouring the concrete early and delayed for the rest of the day (Saturday before Super Bowl). They were back on Monday with no more delays.

The awful part of the story was that the flagman's son was on the job also. They had to console him.

The iron worker who fell apparently was not properly tied off. CAL-OSHA requires 2 lanyards tied off, so that when one is removed to re-attach at a higher level, the worker is still tied off. This guy didn't do that, and when he reached up for his next tie off point, he missed the hook and fell.

It is a terrible thing that happened, and can be avoided if safety procedures are followed...

Derek
Jun 17, 2008, 4:58 AM
Site excavation at Tenth and B? I think so.

mello
Jun 17, 2008, 8:05 AM
Ok can we get a progress report on a couple of things. How is the Irvine Joke of a Signature Tower start time looking? And will the old Police Headquarters project ever start, that shit was supposed to be finished by now?

Oh and what about Bosa's Tower in the Marina District that was supposed to be KUSI? Wow blast from the past eh... remember how much arguing we did over the design of KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSI? HAHAHA

HurricaneHugo
Jun 17, 2008, 8:39 AM
What argument, it looked grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

HurricaneHugo
Jun 20, 2008, 8:02 AM
two things:

1. is there already a non-stop flight to england? i saw an advertisement from one company on the chargers forum...

2. you have to buy a &($%(*$#&*( day tripper to get on MTS??!! Even if it's just a one-way trip down to the next station?

wtf

bmfarley
Jun 20, 2008, 2:44 PM
2. you have to buy a &($%(*$#&*( day tripper to get on MTS??!! Even if it's just a one-way trip down to the next station?

wtf

Yep. Transfers are no longer part of the system. A one ride trip is a single fare... $2.00 to $2.50; I believe. If you're using more than one bus/train to complete the trip... it's twice that. So, if you plan on a round trip, it pays just to get a day tripper... for $5. Or if a semi-frequent user.. a monthly pass for $64.

Derek
Jun 20, 2008, 4:42 PM
1. is there already a non-stop flight to england? i saw an advertisement from one company on the chargers forum...

It started today.

bushman61988
Jun 21, 2008, 6:50 PM
I think they are just doing minor repairs and cleaning it up a bit. It does seem like it's been going on for a while though.

Some of us earlier were wondering what was going on w/ One America Plaza, and whether there was some renovation or something going on.

I found this on the CCDC Webcam:

"DestinationWebCam

We are waiting for the paint to dry on One America Plaza!

Yes, we removed these two webcams on the apex of the building a week ago so that the remainder of the building could be re-painted.

We have been advised that we can re-install the two webcams on Tuesday, June 24th.

While this DestinationWebCam is unavailable at the moment, try again later or visit our other San Diego WebCams."

So it appears that they were repainting, so hopefully our city's skyline icon will look even more brighter and better at night

HurricaneHugo
Jun 22, 2008, 1:49 AM
You can barely see it at night...

kpexpress
Jun 22, 2008, 3:27 AM
You can barely see it at night...

Last week me and a friend went down to Petco Park to watch the Pads spank the Mets and during the game we were talking about this building. It is pretty pathetic that our city's icon skyscraper is lit up so horribly. I would expect more from America's Finest.

CoastersBolts
Jun 24, 2008, 2:37 AM
I've also noticed, as of late, that OAP doesn't light up quite as well at night either. It's even worse during the weekends when most office lights are off, leaving no additional light to support the apex. Not like much of this will make a difference in a few years when 880 West Broadway is unfortunately built in front of OAP, making the only "iconic" view of the building from the east. Already, the building barely stands out from the north because Bayside is beginning to block it from view.

kpexpress
Jun 24, 2008, 3:14 AM
I will be staying in Dallas, TX for the next two months and from the first day here I can tell that, in regards to lighting up buildings at night, San Diego has much to learn.

HurricaneHugo
Jun 25, 2008, 8:05 AM
So i was driving UCSD's old town shuttle that connects the transit center to the hillcrest medical center and overheard a passenger who takes that shuttle to Old town, then takes the coaster to north county, takes the Sprinter to San Marcos and finally walks 10 blocks or so home....

Makes me wonder...how is the Sprinter doing so far?

Fusey
Jun 25, 2008, 3:37 PM
^ The Union-Tribune just ran an article (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20080616-9999-1mc15sprint1.html) on that subject.

Derek
Jun 25, 2008, 4:17 PM
The transit district's Sprinter fare is the same as that for its Breeze buses – $2 one way, $4 for a day pass and $54 for a monthly pass.

Not bad.

HurricaneHugo
Jun 26, 2008, 2:57 AM
Damn, i thought it was every 15 minutes.

That must suck to miss your train and have to wait 30 minutes.

ShekelPop
Jun 26, 2008, 9:44 PM
From the June 26th CCDC Construction update:

"Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge Update
Construction of the Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge, linking the waterfront to the East Village over Harbor Drive is scheduled to begin next month. Construction will begin with the relocation of a water line along Harbor Drive, followed by the building of the center pylon, the south landing, the north landing and the bridge deck. The bridge spans 550 feet across Harbor Drive and the train and trolley tracks. This project is the final piece in the Park to Bay vision and will be complete in Fall 2009."

Really?!?! Awesome news.

Urban Sky
Jun 27, 2008, 1:01 AM
The transit district's Sprinter fare is the same as that for its Breeze buses – $2 one way, $4 for a day pass and $54 for a monthly pass.

Not bad.

i still contest that the sprinter was a waste of money.

so i havent been here for a few months...what the hell happened to skybar?

HurricaneHugo
Jun 27, 2008, 5:45 AM
i still contest that the sprinter was a waste of money.

so i havent been here for a few months...what the hell happened to skybar?

What do you mean?

(i'm rarely in skybar so yea)

Derek
Jun 27, 2008, 6:09 AM
From the June 26th CCDC Construction update:

"Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge Update
Construction of the Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge, linking the waterfront to the East Village over Harbor Drive is scheduled to begin next month. Construction will begin with the relocation of a water line along Harbor Drive, followed by the building of the center pylon, the south landing, the north landing and the bridge deck. The bridge spans 550 feet across Harbor Drive and the train and trolley tracks. This project is the final piece in the Park to Bay vision and will be complete in Fall 2009."

Really?!?! Awesome news.

Sweet. :)

kpexpress
Jun 27, 2008, 6:16 AM
A moment of silence for KC BBQ.........

Derek
Jun 27, 2008, 5:24 PM
Noted restaurant destroyed by fire

Kansas City Barbeque known as filming location for 'top Gun'

By Greg Gross and Susan Shroder
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

June 27, 2008

SAN DIEGO – A fire that started in an open cooking pit at Kansas City Barbeque yesterday gutted the landmark restaurant, known for its role in the 1986 Tom Cruise movie “Top Gun.”

“Catch us tomorrow, we'll have a plan then,” owner Cindy Blair said when asked about rebuilding plans as she surveyed the rubble.

The fire broke out about 2:15 p.m. in the Marina area restaurant on West Market Street, across the street from the Manchester Grand Hyatt hotel towers and near Seaport Village. Towering clouds of smoke could be seen billowing behind Petco Park, where the Padres were playing an afternoon baseball game.

A restaurant cook told firefighters the blaze flared up from inside the cooking pit and spread to the rest of the restaurant's interior, despite his efforts to put it out.

A force of 45 firefighters with six engine companies and two truck companies, managed to keep the blaze from spreading to an adjoining office building and had the fire knocked down in about 20 minutes.

But there was no saving the restaurant.

“It's gutted,” said San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque. “It's destroyed.”

Martin and Cindy Blair bought the bar in 1983, transforming it to the rib joint that reminded them of their Kansas roots.

The building once housed a bail bond business, until a motorcycle mechanic bought it in the 1950s and opened Club 153, a rowdy bar catering to cops from the then-nearby San Diego police headquarters.

When the Republican Party held its national convention in San Diego in 1996, the Blairs got a box of dirt from candidate Bob Dole's boyhood hometown of Russell, Kan., compliments of that town's mayor. The idea was, if Dole stopped in for a bite, he could stand on his own home turf.
The restaurant's ban on neckties didn't deter Republican conventioneers. Manager/bartender Jerry Granquist was quoted as saying they were dropping $100 tips at happy hour.

The restaurant, which serves barbecue fare such as ribs and chicken, was used for a bar scene in “Top Gun,” where Cruise crooned to love interest Kelly McGillis. A sign in the restaurant noted that the jet jockey movie's “sleazy bar scene” was filmed there.

Luque estimated damage at $250,000 to the structure and $150,000 to the contents, not including the value of decades worth of memorabilia, including photographs and props from the film. Hundreds of Navy caps and license plates hung on walls and ceilings.

Firefighters found Navy flight helmets inside the dining area – melted.

“It must've been a very intense fire,” Luque said. “You can see where the fire swirled around, then just took everything out.”

No one was injured. The only people inside at the time were five employees, including the cook. A few patrons were sitting on the patio outside; they quickly fled as the flames ravaged the interior.

Another cook, Charles Ryan, 53, was taking a break outside when he saw the smoke billowing out the front door. But he wasn't alarmed – yet.

“I've seen pit fires before. They're manageable,” said Ryan, who has worked at the restaurant for about six years. “Normally, you can put these things out; I've had a few of them myself. There's a hose right next to the pit.”

This time, however, the fire couldn't be contained. In the seconds it took Ryan to re-enter the establishment, “the whole kitchen was on fire and it was spreading out into the dining area,” he said.

Sandra Angelo, a magazine columnist and author, lives across the street from the restaurant on the 12th floor of City Front Terrace, a condominium complex.

She said her unit has a 280-degree view of downtown and San Diego Bay, and she saw smoke coming out of the chimney in the middle of the restaurant. She said it then got a little thicker, and “I just thought they were being a little enthusiastic with their barbecuing.”

But within minutes, she said, the smoke became very thick.

“It was just tons and tons of smoke,” she said, “billowing out of every single window” and was as high as a nearby 40-story building.

Railroad tracks used by the San Diego Trolley and the Coaster commuter train run right behind the restaurant. Had there been a freight train going by, it would have taken firefighters an extra 12 to 15 minutes to put out the blaze, Luque said.

Rob Schupp, a spokesman for Metropolitan Transit District, said trolley service in the area was stopped for about 10 minutes while fire hoses were across the tracks.

SD_Phil
Jun 27, 2008, 11:21 PM
I've been meaning to do some kind of update/photo tour for MONTHS now. Three months ago I moved from University City to Hillcrest and I went for a walk today and brought my camera with me. I managed to take some shots of three projects under construction in the Hillcrest/Banker's Hill/Downtown area. All pictures taken by me (and hosted on Flickr)

Atlas has been topped out for a while. Not especially tall but adds decent density to this area:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2617142664_ed39433317_b.jpg

Mi Arbolito is a midrise on a tiny tiny lot just on the northwestern boundary of Balboa park. Interior work has been going on for a while.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2617143330_488c30a084_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2617144088_84b2923615_b.jpg

??? Unknown stalled project on Sixth and Redwood. There hasn't been any movement on this in many many months. Anyone have any idea what this is?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2617145870_dcd4c4acd4_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/2616319855_091f2d9471_b.jpg

Lastly I took some shots of downtown

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/2617141136_b640992932_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/2616316915_71155c0ab9_b.jpg

CoastersBolts
Jun 27, 2008, 11:31 PM
I have to say it's weird seeing a tall building (Vantage Pointe) rising up behind Symphony Towers.

Back to the Harbor Drive Bridge, will its construction also result in Park Blvd. finally connecting to Harbor Drive? That'll really clear things up nicely and will also make having to never go all the way around Petco Park on Tony Gwynn Drive/7th Avenue that much better.

malsponger
Jun 28, 2008, 3:33 AM
Man Vantage Pointe sure is turning out to be tall. You lose a lot of the sense of height looking at it close considering how massive the building is, but from a distance it sure seems tall (ok.. for san diego standards).

Mi Arbolito looks like a pile of junk IMO. Why would they make nearly an entire wall bordering a street solid with no windows? Just seems dumb and I couldn't imagine anyone paying so much for a unit with hardly any windows in it, not to mention the actual view so much wall is depriving of!

Derek
Jun 28, 2008, 7:07 AM
Thanks for the photos! :)

bushman61988
Jun 28, 2008, 7:27 AM
Man Vantage Pointe sure is turning out to be tall. You lose a lot of the sense of height looking at it close considering how massive the building is, but from a distance it sure seems tall (ok.. for san diego standards).

Mi Arbolito looks like a pile of junk IMO. Why would they make nearly an entire wall bordering a street solid with no windows? Just seems dumb and I couldn't imagine anyone paying so much for a unit with hardly any windows in it, not to mention the actual view so much wall is depriving of!

Yea, I totally agree and noticed this, it looks absolutely DISGUSTING, and completely unworthy of being so close to Balboa Park...I think it would go pretty well in downtown El Cajon, but nowhere near central San Diego...it looks pretty close to a prison w/ the enormous canyon walls that have almost NO windows...

I love density and height, but San Diego would be a better city without this piece of junk. Shame on the Nutjobs that approved this piece of crap

SD_Phil
Jun 28, 2008, 7:37 AM
Here's the rendering from the developer's website:
http://www.miarbolito.com/imgs/building/rendering.jpg

and their website:
http://www.miarbolito.com/building.html

Here's what THEY say about the prison like facades:

The architectural design of the tower is based on providing a very, very thin vertical composition when viewed from Balboa Park, the tower’s south facade. This can be seen in the articulation of the glass-skin on the left-hand portion, the 150-foot high "wedge", and horizontal "banding" (balconies) on the right-hand portion of the façade.

In a similar fashion, the other facades -- west, north and east -- are also tailored to respond to their unique orientation and their adjacent site characteristics.

mello
Jun 28, 2008, 4:14 PM
Mi Arbilito needs to have a death match with Allegro Tower for America's most but ugly residential tower of the New Millenium. I am absolutely appalled by that buildings design. Who would want to live in that thing, it would be embarrassing. Your friends drive by and snicker "Ha look what Dave is living in for a couple of million". No view at all to the west and south.... Amazing.

The western view from that area is awesome and you can see Mt. Soledad nicely on the Northern side, wow what a waste. BTW, whats going on with the Federal Courthouse?

bmfarley
Jun 28, 2008, 5:16 PM
Yea, I totally agree and noticed this, it looks absolutely DISGUSTING, and completely unworthy of being so close to Balboa Park...I think it would go pretty well in downtown El Cajon, but nowhere near central San Diego...it looks pretty close to a prison w/ the enormous canyon walls that have almost NO windows...

I love density and height, but San Diego would be a better city without this piece of junk. Shame on the Nutjobs that approved this piece of crap
Shame on the nut jobs that designed it; not approved it. If there are no/few architectural design guidelines... and the design is consistent with whatever guidelines there are... the approving agency has little influence.

What makes me wonder; what in the hell were the architects, or owner, thinking! And, I too immediately wondered if the building is intended for challenged or imprisioned persons. Or, at a minimum people that are averse to sunsets.

SDCAL
Jun 28, 2008, 10:30 PM
SDPhil,

Thanks for posting those photos!!!!!

I have been wondering what that stalled project on Park and Rosewood is as well. Everytime I come down Park Blvd I think what a prime loacation, but I have no idea what that building will be or why it's stalled

anyone have any info?????

SD_Phil
Jun 29, 2008, 2:13 AM
SDPhil,

Thanks for posting those photos!!!!!

I have been wondering what that stalled project on Park and Rosewood is as well. Everytime I come down Park Blvd I think what a prime loacation, but I have no idea what that building will be or why it's stalled

anyone have any info?????

No problem. Hopefully I'll get out more often to take pictures. I agree that the project on sixth and rosewood is bizarre. It IS a prime location; my guess is that it would be too expensive to continue whatever project there was there and that the cost of the land + tearing down what's already been built make the parcel unattractive. Still, it is a prime location and really blights what would otherwise be a really attractive street.

SDCAL
Jun 29, 2008, 5:48 PM
No problem. Hopefully I'll get out more often to take pictures. I agree that the project on sixth and rosewood is bizarre. It IS a prime location; my guess is that it would be too expensive to continue whatever project there was there and that the cost of the land + tearing down what's already been built make the parcel unattractive. Still, it is a prime location and really blights what would otherwise be a really attractive street.

Looking at the location I'm also wondering if they could be in a legal dispute with the hotel - - the Park Manor has a restaurant famous for their sweeping views of downtown. If this was going to be something tall that would obstruct it, I could see a legal dispute. But, I'm sure it would have been in the news if that were the case

stockjock
Jun 30, 2008, 12:06 AM
Disregard this post.

yerfdog
Jun 30, 2008, 3:22 AM
Thanks for those pics. I can't get over how terrible Mi Arbolito is.

From http://www.miarbolito.com/building/residences.html: http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/604/floorplansmal4.gif (click pic for larger version) (http://www.miarbolito.com/imgs/building/floorplan_lg.gif)

There appear to be NO windows on the entire east side (on the top of that floor plan picture), including no windows from the "master" bedroom on that side. What the heck? Who would want that, even apart from how the building just looks like a prison with those lack of windows, like others have said.

Kinda reminds me of a skinny version of the Metropolitan Detention Center in downtown LA (Federal Jail): http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8760/loskq1.jpg

SD_Phil
Jun 30, 2008, 7:50 AM
^ Also from the website (and this explains a lot):

Architects

Martinez + Cutri Corp. are the executive architects for the project. The San Diego-based firm has designed more than 5,000 urban residential units of housing. Some of their current projects include DOMA condominiums, M2i condominiums, The Mark (a 32-story condominium), Cortez Blu, and the recently completed 33-story Grand Hyatt Expansion.

HurricaneHugo
Jun 30, 2008, 10:05 AM
Well...M2i, the Mark, and the Hyatt Expansion were all good IMO

malsponger
Jun 30, 2008, 3:18 PM
I can understand why the North and East sides of the building would be left windowless considering theyre right on the border of the other lots around it. However, you'd think an architect would make up for it and let tons of light in from the South and West sides of the building, not to mention the downtown skyline, bay and balboa park. It looks like the prison downtown across from Meridian! I can't believe a renown architecture firm with such good projects under their belts designed this.

Big screw up in my book. I don't see this being a successful project by any means. Couldn't picture anyone dishing over that kind of money to live in a cave.

SDCAL
Jun 30, 2008, 4:10 PM
I can understand why the North and East sides of the building would be left windowless considering theyre right on the border of the other lots around it. However, you'd think an architect would make up for it and let tons of light in from the South and West sides of the building, not to mention the downtown skyline, bay and balboa park. It looks like the prison downtown across from Meridian! I can't believe a renown architecture firm with such good projects under their belts designed this.

Big screw up in my book. I don't see this being a successful project by any means. Couldn't picture anyone dishing over that kind of money to live in a cave.

It looks pretty different from the rendering

It could be successful just because of it's location alone. It is one unit per floor, so they don't need to find too many buyers, but they do need to find well healed buyers because they go for over a million each.

I am thinking they could get people to buy just based on the location and if the interiors are nice

bushman61988
Jul 1, 2008, 12:47 AM
Mi Arbilito needs to have a death match with Allegro Tower for America's most but ugly residential tower of the New Millenium. I am absolutely appalled by that buildings design. Who would want to live in that thing, it would be embarrassing. Your friends drive by and snicker "Ha look what Dave is living in for a couple of million". No view at all to the west and south.... Amazing.

LOL, that would actually be a really difficult choice, and a TRUE deathmatch! But at least Allegro Tower looks reasonably descent at night, and from the bay, I would say it's Sub-Par, but not absolutely disgusting like Mi Arbolito (and what a stupid name! My Little Tree?! For a Residential Tower?!)

I seriously think that the downtown prison looks a HELL of a lot better than Mi Arbolito

OhGreatOne
Jul 1, 2008, 12:58 AM
The city fathers in San Diego would do well do jettison their 500 foot (152 m) height limits.

malsponger
Jul 1, 2008, 4:13 AM
I seriously think that the downtown prison looks a HELL of a lot better than Mi Arbolito

LOL.

Regarding Allegro Tower. I think it's at least much more functional. You gotta realize if you put units or windows on the backside of the building, as soon as a building goes up behind it which it will, you can kiss the desireability of those units goodbye. Once a building goes up it'll look fine, until then, its quite the eye sore. I might be of a rare breed but I don't think the front side of it looks all that bad. I wouldn't want to see every building looking like that but it's different and I think it works. Industrial contemporary I guess you could call it.

http://www.emporis.com/images/6/2006/05/457277.jpg

http://www.emporis.com/images/6/2006/05/457273.jpg

About 150 times better than Mi Arbolito if you ask me. It's funny cause in some of the interior renderings it shows the place has more windows than what the floor plan looks like now. Maybe they went cheap and didnt wanna cover the thing in as much glass?

HurricaneHugo
Jul 1, 2008, 5:32 AM
The city fathers in San Diego would do well do jettison their 500 foot (152 m) height limits.

It's not the city's, it's the FAA's.