PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

HurricaneHugo
Feb 26, 2008, 9:23 AM
Too bad the world is ending in 2012. :(

keg92101
Feb 26, 2008, 4:23 PM
Check out this new proposal for the old UNICAL site. Looks like another giant retail project to jump start the area down by Barrio Logan.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w249/keg92101/MetroCenter.jpg

Here is what CCDC's planning director told me:

The project is a proposed 450,000 square foot retail center (including two large tenants) located on the block bound by National and Newton avenues, 16th and Commercial streets. Attached is an initial rendering from Commercial and National, it is somewhat blurry but is the only electronic image we have right now and they are still completing the application submittal.

bmfarley
Feb 26, 2008, 7:41 PM
Check out this new proposal for the old UNICAL site. Looks like another giant retail project to jump start the area down by Barrio Logan.

The project is a proposed 450,000 square foot retail center (including two large tenants) located on the block bound by National and Newton avenues, 16th and Commercial streets. Attached is an initial rendering from Commercial and National, it is somewhat blurry but is the only electronic image we have right now and they are still completing the application submittal.
Interesting! Where did you get that information & picture? Online? Link?

keg92101
Feb 26, 2008, 9:25 PM
Interesting! Where did you get that information & picture? Online? Link?

I emailed CCDC's planning director and asked.

Here is a link to the architect's web site for the project:

http://www.studio-111.com/

Click on "Urban Retail" and then "Metro Center"

Cheers!

Derek
Feb 26, 2008, 11:16 PM
That looks like a nice project.

ShekelPop
Feb 26, 2008, 11:57 PM

I took a look at the architect's site. I'm trying not to be too negative, but I can't help it. after flipping through the available shots, I don't like anything about this project and I hope I never see it.
- it cuts off sightlines to the west. I understand the area to the west of it is not for public consumption and not an active location, but still
- its too big, its too tall, and its intimidating
- i personally doubt its an economically feasible proposal right now (I could be wrong if anyone has a different take - 440,000 square feet?), what do you think the time frame is on this - 2014? maybe by then.
- i don't like the design overall, again, its a touch oppressive
- i do however like that they probably hide the parking well and creatively

Derek
Feb 27, 2008, 12:38 AM
What sightlines? There's not much to see.

keg92101
Feb 27, 2008, 1:42 AM
I took a look at the architect's site. I'm trying not to be too negative, but I can't help it. after flipping through the available shots, I don't like anything about this project and I hope I never see it.
- it cuts off sightlines to the west. I understand the area to the west of it is not for public consumption and not an active location, but still
- i personally doubt its an economically feasible proposal right now (I could be wrong if anyone has a different take - 440,000 square feet?), what do you think the time frame is on this - 2014? maybe by then.

Couldn't disagree with you more. This cuts off the mixed-use neighborhoods of the east village from the maritime uses of 10th Ave. Terminal. 471K square feet, and, from what CCDC has told me, they have 2 "large" tenants. I'm guessing a Lowes / Home Depot, and possibly a Best Buy. It looks like vertical retail rather than standard big box.

As far as too tall, its only 5 stories, and don't forget, the Mega-Marriott is one block to the North West.

keg92101
Feb 27, 2008, 1:44 AM
Also,

I know that the land purchase has been in the works for over 2 years, and the developer's website states they hope to break ground this year. Environmental clean up has been going on over the last year, so I could see this happening.

Derek
Feb 27, 2008, 5:02 AM
I hope it happens soon. It could provide a nice boost to the area.

bmfarley
Feb 27, 2008, 5:58 AM
Also,

I know that the land purchase has been in the works for over 2 years, and the developer's website states they hope to break ground this year. Environmental clean up has been going on over the last year, so I could see this happening.

Don't hold your breath. For his project to occur will require existing uses to be relocated first. If you haven't noticed, the San Diego Trolley has a facility on one end of the property. There's an adjacent building too that looks to be used.

And, once those are relocated, the soil underneath will likely need to be clensed too... as the old oil tanks likely leaked stuff that migrated for quite a ways.

I think it's a great project.. the higher the better. The Coronado bridge is an atrocious thing to look at. Same with the marine terminal too.

HurricaneHugo
Feb 27, 2008, 8:01 AM
According to the website 2014 is the target date.

http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/mid-coast.html

Wow, didn't know about the 805 project.:banana:

HurricaneHugo
Feb 27, 2008, 8:03 AM

You see to the west and you see the imperial avenue transfer station....

there's nothing to see to the west...

HurricaneHugo
Feb 27, 2008, 8:07 AM
Don't hold your breath. For his project to occur will require existing uses to be relocated first. If you haven't noticed, the San Diego Trolley has a facility on one end of the property. There's an adjacent building too that looks to be used.

Really?

Is this the block they're talking about?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=san+diego&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.704818,-117.15017&spn=0.001602,0.002494&z=19

I don't think MTS has a facility there, but then again im not sure.

bmfarley
Feb 27, 2008, 3:23 PM
Really?

Is this the block they're talking about?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=san+diego&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.704818,-117.15017&spn=0.001602,0.002494&z=19

I don't think MTS has a facility there, but then again im not sure.
That lin does not zoom in on the property.

The site for this project is bounded by Commercial, National, 16th & Newton. It's on the north side of Commercial between National and Newton (really 13th, but 13th ends at Commercial). On that Commercial frontage are the uses I mentioned. And/or southwest corner of Comercial and National... which is the location the image provided earlier is depicting.

ShekelPop
Feb 27, 2008, 6:04 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more. This cuts off the mixed-use neighborhoods of the east village from the maritime uses of 10th Ave. Terminal. 471K square feet, and, from what CCDC has told me, they have 2 "large" tenants. I'm guessing a Lowes / Home Depot, and possibly a Best Buy. It looks like vertical retail rather than standard big box.

As far as too tall, its only 5 stories, and don't forget, the Mega-Marriott is one block to the North West.

Oh I completely forgot the mega-marriot. and with the oppressive steel boxes of home depot, remind me to stay north of Petco :) Ok, I'll be fair and wait for additional renderings.

OCtoSD
Feb 28, 2008, 8:28 AM
That new retail project is amazing. The way they mass it and the amount of parking they manage to squeeze is really great. It will be accessible not just to people in downtown but in hillcrest and Coronado. I would not be suprised if we see one of those urban targets like the one in Atlanta or near Berkeley. For those who have not been to the website of the developer or could not find the project click on "work" and then on "urban retail" and then on "Metro Center". The other renderings are great as well. This will really jump start the area.

OCtoSD
Feb 28, 2008, 8:29 AM
That new retail project is amazing. The way they mass it and the amount of parking they manage to squeeze is really great. It will be accessible not just to people in downtown but in hillcrest and Coronado. I would not be suprised if we see one of those urban targets like the one in Atlanta or near Berkeley. For those who have not been to the website of the architect or could not find the project click on "work" and then on "urban retail" and then on "Metro Center". The other renderings are great as well and are worth going to the site to see. This will really jump start the area.

sandiegodweller
Feb 29, 2008, 3:22 AM

Trammell Crow and their partner paid way too much money for the site so they have to cram as much square footage on it as possible to make it pencil. They were also handicapped by the high water table that pevents them from going very deep with the underground parking.

sandiegodweller
Feb 29, 2008, 3:24 AM
I walked up 5th Avenue to Broadway and over to Electra at lunchtime today. I can't put my finger on it but it seemed dead. I noticed a few of the restaurants have closed and the overall feeling was slow. It seems like the only new retailers are nail salons/day spas and yogurt shops. Even the empty retail at Solamar (a decent loation) is being occupied by two trinket shops catering to tourists.

I really hope that the quality of the retail starts increasing and that Gaslamp Qtr/ East Village doesn't lose a lot of momentum. I saw one of the Cushman Wakefield brokers replacing the Burnham signs in some of the retail space at TR PRoduce. They confirmed again that an Urban market was occupying a portion of TR Produce but not all of it. They were a little embarrased to tell me that the asking prices for retail space was $4.00 psf. I really think that is handicapping the area.

PadreHomer
Mar 1, 2008, 11:48 PM
It seems so counter-intuitive to charge so much for retail space when almost all of those storefronts remain empty, and there are some that have remained so for years.

Marina_Guy
Mar 4, 2008, 3:18 PM
It seems so counter-intuitive to charge so much for retail space when almost all of those storefronts remain empty, and there are some that have remained so for years.

I SO agree. Someone needs to cut a deal and ignite the area. There are so many nice spaces. I can't believe that NONE of the retail in the Park in the Park is rented. What nice restaurant/retail space. We have many national players in the restaurant segment that have yet to make Downtown San Diego a location. Not mention retail (tough year, though) Maybe the buyout of Burnham will help lease some space. Maybe it is time to get some leadership in the Downtown Partnership, CCDC, and the Mayor's office to get some people interested in retail in downtown.

===
CUSHMAN & WAKEFIELD TO ACQUIRE BURNHAM REAL ESTATE
18 Dec, 2007, San Diego, CA
Premier Southern California firm to join global platform of the world’s largest privately held commercial real estate services company

Cushman & Wakefield, the world’s largest privately held commercial real estate services firm, today announced it has reached an agreement to acquire Burnham Real Estate, which has operated as San Diego’s largest, independent commercial real estate services firm for 116 years.

The agreement, scheduled to close in January, is expected to position Cushman & Wakefield as the leading commercial real estate firm in San Diego and to further strengthen the firm’s expansive Southern California operations. For Burnham, which is headquartered in San Diego, the move provides its professionals direct access to a premier, full-service platform of 215 offices in 56 countries. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“Burnham is the industry prototype for the premier regional firm,” said Bruce Mosler, president and chief executive officer of Cushman & Wakefield. “Our clients expect the best representation everywhere they conduct business, and its strategic acquisitions of firms like Burnham that have helped Cushman & Wakefield to expand its reputation for excellence locally and globally.”

Burnham Real Estate, founded in 1891, has grown to become one of the region’s largest and most diversified full-service real estate companies with 250 professionals and employees operating from three offices in San Diego County, one in South Riverside County/Temecula, and one in Las Vegas, Nev. Services include traditional brokerage, corporate services, asset services, capital markets, advisory services, strategic corporate consulting and project management. The company’s total estimated 2007 brokerage and finance transaction volume is $3 billion.

“The combination of Burnham’s Southern California expertise with Cushman & Wakefield’s global reach will provide enhanced best of class services in the region to clients of both firms,” said Tony Marano, Cushman & Wakefield’s chief executive officer for the Americas. “We both have strong cultures, we value our traditions of integrity and excellence and our professionals share a client-first philosophy – all of which make this a powerful combination of talent in the region.”

Burnham Real Estate President and CEO Stath Karras said that becoming part of the respected Cushman & Wakefield brand is a tremendous opportunity for Burnham clients, professionals and employees.

“Cushman & Wakefield is a natural fit for us given the similar corporate cultures and shared core values,” said Karras. “This move will provide our clients with an even higher level of service and direct access to opportunities in other markets while still enjoying the relationships they have formed with our professionals.

“Additionally, our professionals and employees will benefit through increased opportunity for career and personal growth through a broader range of resources and the international network of Cushman & Wakefield offices.”

Karras will serve as executive managing director of the Cushman & Wakefield San Diego operation, which after Jan. 1, 2008, will include the three former Burnham Real Estate offices, under the Cushman & Wakefield brand.

The addition of Burnham closely follows Cushman & Wakefield’s 2006 acquisition of San Diego Corporate Real Estate Advisors, which signified the firm’s commitment to the region. Prior to 2006, Cushman & Wakefield served clients in the region through an alliance relationship. When the transaction is complete, Cushman & Wakefield will maintain 13 full-service offices throughout California, including 10 in Southern California. In 2006, Cushman & Wakefield completed sales and leasing transactions globally valued at more than $85 billion and had record revenues of $1.5 billion.

sandiego_urban
Mar 5, 2008, 4:17 AM
A few webcam pics snapped today....

Sapphire and Bayside from Cortez Hill
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/bay34.jpg

..from OAP
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/bay34-2.jpg

Vantage Pointe
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/vp34.jpg

VP from afar
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/vp34-2.jpg

Strata going deep
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/strat34.jpg

Hilton
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/hilt34-2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/hilt34.jpg

I think this is that project by Father Joe?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/fatherjoe.jpg

The cleared site of proposed MetroCenter. It's amazing that someone wants to invest in this down-trodden area at this time.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/mall34.jpg

bmfarley
Mar 5, 2008, 4:48 AM
The cleared site of proposed MetroCenter. It's amazing that someone wants to invest in this down-trodden area at this time.
Yep, that's it. But, I don't think it's down troddened. Yes, it could be better. The services provided by Father Joe's bring a lot of desparate people to the area, but things seem to be happening that are pushing out the bad elements.

Going un-noticed are a couple dense urban housing projects in the immediate vicinity. One should be completed in the next couple months... and 2-3 other properties have been cleared for.. something. I'd like to think the housing-development crisis will not affect these, but I am doubtful.

HurricaneHugo
Mar 5, 2008, 5:29 AM

So much about it not getting off the ground.

Derek
Mar 5, 2008, 5:30 AM
I just want to know the tennants.

PadreHomer
Mar 5, 2008, 5:54 AM
Its good to see there is activity at Strata. I drive by every day and with everything below ground level its hard to tell if anything is going on or not.

The Father Joe project on 16th has to be the slowest moving project ever.

Does anyone know whats supposed to go behind the Albertsons?

sandiego_urban
Mar 5, 2008, 5:56 AM
Yep, that's it. But, I don't think it's down troddened. Yes, it could be better. The services provided by Father Joe's bring a lot of desparate people to the area, but things seem to be happening that are pushing out the bad elements.

Going un-noticed are a couple dense urban housing projects in the immediate vicinity. One should be completed in the next couple months... and 2-3 other properties have been cleared for.. something. I'd like to think the housing-development crisis will not affect these, but I am doubtful.
I drove around this site last week and saw alot of homeless people on the streets. I just can't imagine people from across the bay in Coronado coming here to shop. They'd be terrified! ;)

I did see the urban projects that you mentioned, and was pleasantly surprised. The area sorta reminds me of East Village before the ballpark went in, and it certainly has potential to be another great downtown neighborhood. I think instead of calling this area East Village, they should give it another name.

mello
Mar 5, 2008, 4:29 PM
Like, Really East Village.

The Easternmost Village.

Or maybe. Father Joe's Village

SDCAL
Mar 5, 2008, 4:30 PM
Good news (I think) - a major high-end kitchen retailer will be going into the ground-level at Legend, on J Street

http://www.bulthaup.com/bulthaup/internet/central/resource.nsf/imgref/Image_spe_hae_over_en_ohneMK.jpg/$FILE/spe_hae_over_en_ohneMK.jpg

Bulthaup, a german kitchen design center is advertised to open in May 08 and this is confirmed on it's website.

Hopefully it will find a market here in the downtown condo market the way it has in major urban design areas like NY, Chicago, Paris, etc

http://www.bulthaup.com/bulthaup/internet/central/resource.nsf/imgref/Image_pro_sb3_gal_05.jpg/$FILE/pro_sb3_gal_05.jpg

keg92101
Mar 5, 2008, 4:45 PM
I drove around this site last week and saw alot of homeless people on the streets. I just can't imagine people from across the bay in Coronado coming here to shop. They'd be terrified! ;)

I did see the urban projects that you mentioned, and was pleasantly surprised. The area sorta reminds me of East Village before the ballpark went in, and it certainly has potential to be another great downtown neighborhood. I think instead of calling this area East Village, they should give it another name.

I think that the name Barrio Logan needs to go. That name, to me, exemplifies poverty / depressed. I've always thought that a cool name would be SoLo (South of Logan), for that industrial area between the bridge, I-5 and East Village.

Derek
Mar 6, 2008, 3:54 AM
Like SoLo sounds any better. :P

ShekelPop
Mar 6, 2008, 6:58 AM
if anyone's gonna be near Cortez Hill with a camera sometime, i heard Tweet Street park is now complete

OCtoSD
Mar 6, 2008, 8:08 AM
I wonder if any birds actually use it.

HurricaneHugo
Mar 6, 2008, 9:48 AM
I think that the name Barrio Logan needs to go. That name, to me, exemplifies poverty / depressed. I've always thought that a cool name would be SoLo (South of Logan), for that industrial area between the bridge, I-5 and East Village.

Are you fucking kidding me...

keg92101
Mar 6, 2008, 7:18 PM
Are you fucking kidding me...

No, I'm not kidding you. Straight out of Wikipedia:

More commonly, however, in the United States, barrios refer to lower-class neighborhoods with largely Spanish-speaking residents, basically the Latino equivalent of a "ghetto". The word often implies that the poverty level is high in such a neighborhood

However, the greatest urban revivals are often in old industrial areas.

SDCAL
Mar 6, 2008, 7:40 PM
Changing the name of Barrio Logan is a TERRIBLE idea

Neighborhoods achieve character through history, and you take the good with the bad

Look at Stingaree - the former name of SDs sleazy red-light district is now the name of one of the city's hippest nightclubs. Part of the lure of the Gaslmap is the revitalization, knowing that a jewel was born from a former brothel-infested sleazy district

When Barrio is revitalized, I want it's history to remain

Look at other cities - NY, for example. "Hell's Kitchen" and "Meat Packing District". These places were once considered vile areas and are now booming and trendy. Part of the lure and nostalgia is with the names

Changing the name of a notorious neighborhood is like trying to black-out it's history. It doesn't work, and it makes the neigborhood appear fake

SDCAL
Mar 6, 2008, 7:48 PM
Sobering unit gets ready to relocate

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080306/images/tank220.gif

Nonprofit seeking lease on warehouse
By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

March 6, 2008

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – San Diego's holding tank for the intoxicated may finally get a new home in the East Village, after a false start there in November and more than two years of debate over a location.
The site is an empty warehouse at 16th Street and Imperial Avenue. Volunteers of America, the nonprofit that runs the sobering unit for the city and county, hopes to sign a three-year lease this month.

No further approvals are needed to move the unit to the 16th Street location, but the City Council needs to sign off on spending $150,000 in redevelopment money to defray relocation and setup costs.

Nearby neighbors will be the Father Joe's Villages homeless complex and the Neil Good Day Center for the homeless.

With so many homeless already present, city officials may not face the same opposition encountered at other proposed sites, where neighbors were concerned about chronic drinkers leaving the four-hour holding program and loitering.

Caryl Iseman, president of the East Village Community Action Network, said she's willing to see how the site works for three years. She once lived a few blocks from Volunteers of America's holding tank at 11th and Island avenues, the current location, and didn't see it as a contributor to the homeless issue.

“Of all the things, that's the one that seemed to have a little less impact,” Iseman said. “People get in there and then get out. . . . They are very happy to get back home to Scripps Ranch or wherever else they were from.”

Volunteers of America has fought the perception that many of its clients are homeless.

According to the group's statistics, about 4 percent of those taken to the sobering unit were listed as homeless in police logs. The group says most of the 8,000 clients a year are average citizens who were caught drunk in public. Unless another crime is committed, police drop off these people at the holding tank without charges if they agree to sleep it off.
Councilman Kevin Faulconer, whose district includes downtown, has led the search for a site for the holding tank, which is being forced out of its longtime home to make way for Thomas Jefferson School of Law's new campus. Faulconer pledged to keep the holding tank in his district in 2006, when he helped Pacific Beach residents block the facility from moving to that neighborhood.

But the councilman's last attempt ran afoul of potential neighbors. A plan to put the facility on 17th Street between G and Market streets fell apart last fall after at least one retailer, Ace Uniforms, complained it would scare off customers.

Faulconer said he thinks the 16th Street location is a good address. It's relatively close to the existing holding tank, roughly seven blocks away, and will bring more police cars into a high-crime neighborhood.

“Having an increased police presence in that part of East Village is a positive,” Faulconer said.

A spokesman for Volunteers of America said the group might stay more than three years at the site, though it would like to find a permanent home for the holding tank and its longer-term drug rehabilitation programs.

There's also speculation that the holding tank might be incorporated with the permanent homeless shelter that a city task force is discussing.

keg92101
Mar 6, 2008, 7:51 PM

Neighborhoods achieve character through history, and you take the good with the bad

Look at Stingaree - the former name of SDs sleazy red-light district is now the name of one of the city's hippest nightclubs. Part of the lure of the Gaslmap is the revitalization, knowing that a jewel was born from a former brothel-infested sleazy district

Look at other cities - NY, for example. "Hell's Kitchen" and "Meat Packing District". These places were once considered vile areas and are now booming and trendy. Part of the lure and nostalgia is with the names

Changing the name of a notorious neighborhood is like trying to black-out it's history. It doesn't work, and it makes the neigborhood appear fake

I just think that the neighorhood wont change because of its name, based on the definition provided. Hell's Kitchen or MePa are not defined as "lower class", but mainly descriptions of what the area was (MePa was the meat district, and Hell's Kitchen was 5 points, gangster capital). Barrio is simply a description. If I remember corectly, the entire area use to simply be called Logan, and I-5 broke up the barrio and Logan Heights.

Another example was the lure of SOHO, which didn't get its name until it became trendy. I think the name will change if gentrification happens. If it doesn't gentrify, the name will stay the same, as will the area.

SDCAL
Mar 6, 2008, 7:51 PM
New life for Old Police Headquarters

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/images/080306metro_police.jpg

Port District, developer nearing makeover deal
By Ronald W. Powell

March 6, 2008

SAN DIEGO – The Old Police Headquarters, an architectural jewel that has languished near the San Diego waterfront for more than two decades, will likely begin a reincarnation as a commercial center this summer.

An artist's rendering shows a view of planned redevelopment at the Old Police Headquarters next to Seaport Village.
Confidential negotiations between the San Diego Unified Port District and developer Terramar Retail Centers over the financing and lease terms are nearing conclusion, and both sides are confident the $40 million makeover can begin around midyear.

If that happens, Terramar says the stately Depression-era structure that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places could emerge with the verve and allure of Seattle's Pike Place Market or Boston's Faneuil Hall Marketplace.

“It's a gorgeous building, and we think we can adaptively reuse it in a wonderful way,” said Terramar's Bruce Walton of the 100,000-square-foot, two-story complex at Kettner Boulevard and North Harbor Drive, adjacent to Seaport Village.

The sticking point has been the nature and the amount of a subsidy the Port District is willing to provide to make the deal work.

Overview
Background: The Old Police Headquarters was built in the 1930s with money from the Public Works Administration. It served as a dispatch center, jail and court until 1987, when San Diego police moved to a new headquarters on Broadway.

What's changing: The Port District, landlord of the complex, is entering the final stages of a lease deal to rehabilitate the headquarters. A Carlsbad developer, Terramar Retail Centers, plans to renovate the structures and make space for two large restaurants, a public marketplace and specialty shops.

The future: Both sides expect to strike a deal by summer. Terramar wants to begin renovation during the summer on what is expected to be a two-year construction job.

Under the development plan for the 7-acre site, two large restaurants and a public market would occupy most of the space, with specialty retail shops rounding out the mix of venues. Construction would take about two years.

Walton said his company will keep 90 percent of the building intact, including its facade, which is an example of Spanish Colonial Revival and Classical architectural styles.

Progress has been slow since the California Coastal Commission approved a redevelopment permit in August 2006, because of the mounting expense of renovating a historic building and the high price of borrowing money in a struggling economy, Walton said.

Port Commissioner Laurie Black said a port investment will pay off when the city's former law enforcement hub is turned into a hot spot for tourists and locals.

Black said the port assisted the 30-story Hilton Hotel – slated to open in November – with a $46.5 million subsidy and should help the Terramar project. Both developments are on the South Embarcadero on port-administered state tidelands, and the agency would receive rent from them.

“I don't see any difference in helping build the Hilton and rehabilitating the Old Police Headquarters,” said Black, a San Diego representative on the seven-member commission. “It will be a gift to tourists and the people of San Diego.”

Gary Smith of the 400-member San Diego Downtown Residents Group said he is looking forward to a rebirth of the headquarters, which has been shuttered since 1987.

“We're so tired of looking at that pink monster,” Smith said.

He believes the development plan could invigorate the waterfront, but fears that the port will set rents so high that only national restaurant chains will be able to afford the space.

Smith said he has pushed for local restaurateur Diane Powers to bring her colorful mix of food and shops to the headquarters. He believes that Terramar will need someone like Powers to bring a local flavor to the venture.

Powers held the lease for 34 years at Old Town State Park until a new concessionaire was chosen in 2005. She operates the Casa Guadalajara restaurant on the fringe of Old Town, as well as nine shops.

Walton said his Carlsbad-based company has had talks with Powers and has also drawn interest from some “popular national eateries.”

“It would be great to get some local business owners and operators,” he said.

Walton said his company and port officials are struggling to find a rent structure that works for both. He said the port will “not be writing us a check” to assist in the rehabilitation, so the deal likely hinges on a rent allowance.

Paul Fanfera, the port's senior director of real estate, said the port is reviewing Terramar's development costs as well as its revenue projections once the headquarters reopens as part of its review.

“We're getting to the point where hard decisions will have to be made,” Fanfera said.

Said Walton: “We're working our way through a rent and economic package, and we're optimistic that we're 60 days away from an agreement.”

keg92101
Mar 6, 2008, 8:10 PM
[QUOTE=SDCAL;3399232]Sobering unit gets ready to relocate

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080306/images/tank220.gif

Nonprofit seeking lease on warehouse
By Jeanette Steele
QUOTE]

What's the percentage of "Drunk in Public" from downtown compared to PB. I'd be willing to bet that the majority come from PB. Much rowdier crowd.

SDCAL
Mar 6, 2008, 8:16 PM
The UT is full of all kinds of interesting articles today -

I wont paste the whole thing but there is an article about gay and lesbian residents spreading-out more from Hillcrest into surrounding areas. here is a breakdown of SDs "gayest" neigborhoods:

Gay and lesbian couples
by the numbers
San Diego ZIP codes with the largest percentage of unmarried couples who are gay:

92103: Hillcrest, where 43 percent of households headed by unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92104: North Park, where 34 percent of households headed by unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92116: University Heights, where 34 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92115: College Area, Rolando, El Cerrito, where 19 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92102: South Park, Golden Hill, where 15 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92101: Downtown, where 15 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

92105: City Heights, where 14 percent of households with unmarried couples are gay or lesbian.

I have noticed where I live in downtown many new gay neighbors. Personally, I think this is a very positive sign. I have noticed that in large, thriving urban areas you see the gay community less contained in it's own isolated district but more dispersed throughout the city, kind of like NY or LA which have Chelsea and W Hollywood respectively, but a larger gay presence in many other areas as well

Just thought it interesting, I think it shows how our city is rapidly changing for the better, becoming more diverse

sandiego_urban
Mar 7, 2008, 1:36 AM

Let me make myself clear and say that I never meant to say that the Barrio Logan name should go away (I actually like the name), I just didn't want them to lump it into the East Village neighborhood so it becomes invisible.

Is the proposed Metro Center in Barrio Logan, anyways? Either way, I'd love to see a big open-air mercado in the area. If there are Chinatowns, why can't we have a Mexicotown? ;)

It's also good to see that the Old Police Headquarters project is back in the news. A downtown public market would be great as long as it steers clear of mocking the tacky souvenier shops of neighboring Seaport Village.

Lastly, I, too, am glad to see that it's becoming gayer outside of Hillcrest. North Park is definitely coming into it's own and so are the other urban neighborhoods surrounding Balboa Park. 43% of households in Hillcrest is gay? All I have to say is "Holy Barbara Streisand!"

Here's a link the the full article in case you missed it :

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080306/news_1cz6changes.html

sandiego_urban
Mar 7, 2008, 1:39 AM
There's also a website up for the proposed Metro Center project that provides more renderings and info:

http://metrocentersandiego.com/

Derek
Mar 7, 2008, 9:40 PM
That site has some good information about the area.

bmfarley
Mar 8, 2008, 2:02 AM
That site has some good information about the area.

I think that is debatable. Hence, they provide the following:

There are an estimated 166,000 and 454,000 people living within three and five mile radii of the Metro Center, with population growth expected to be close to 6% within three and five miles of the site and near 10% within 1 mile. Average household income is $55,000 within three miles, with median household income expected to grow by 13% in the next five years.
Expected population growth within 1 mile, which includes much of downtown, is suppose to be closer to 200%. The Downtown Community Plan anticipates population climbing from about 30k to 90k. Now, if the true population within 1 mile is 600k and growth were only to occur downtown.... then yes, the statement is correct based on (90k-30k = 60k & 60k/600k = 10%)

SDCAL
Mar 8, 2008, 6:22 PM
Anyone know any inside info about this one?
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/Cosmopolitan%20Square%20Rendering.jpg

CCDC just updated their project description:

"Simplon Corporation plans to construct a mixed-use project with 2__-room hotel, ___Condominiums, 13,000 sf of retail block bounded by J Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues. The project will encompass the entire block and include a new, enlarged replacement facility for Fire Station #4. The existing historic fire station building will be rehabilitated and adaptively re-used for commercial purposes as part of the overall project. No construction timeline has been established"

Before they had the project starting in "late 08" and now "no construction timeline has been established"

BUT, they updated it from being all condo to condo and hotel. I guess they are still deciding what percentage will be what as the description has "2__-room hotel"

Hopefully the project will get off the ground sometime. That lot is very depressed looking now and I think this design would compliment the are very nicely

Marina_Guy
Mar 9, 2008, 1:05 AM

"Simplon Corporation plans to construct a mixed-use project with 2__-room hotel, ___Condominiums, 13,000 sf of retail block bounded by J Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues. The project will encompass the entire block and include a new, enlarged replacement facility for Fire Station #4. The existing historic fire station building will be rehabilitated and adaptively re-used for commercial purposes as part of the overall project. No construction timeline has been established"

Before they had the project starting in "late 08" and now "no construction timeline has been established"

BUT, they updated it from being all condo to condo and hotel. I guess they are still deciding what percentage will be what as the description has "2__-room hotel"

Hopefully the project will get off the ground sometime. That lot is very depressed looking now and I think this design would compliment the are very nicely

Don't look for anything to happen with it.

SDCAL
Mar 9, 2008, 1:31 AM

are you speculating or do you have info that it's finished??

sandiegodweller
Mar 9, 2008, 2:29 AM

Since Simplon doesn't own a portion of the site anymore, I wouldn't hold my breath.

sandiegodweller
Mar 9, 2008, 2:34 AM
Good news (I think) - a major high-end kitchen retailer will be going into the ground-level at Legend, on J Street

http://www.bulthaup.com/bulthaup/internet/central/resource.nsf/imgref/Image_spe_hae_over_en_ohneMK.jpg/$FILE/spe_hae_over_en_ohneMK.jpg

Bulthaup, a german kitchen design center is advertised to open in May 08 and this is confirmed on it's website.

Hopefully it will find a market here in the downtown condo market the way it has in major urban design areas like NY, Chicago, Paris, etc

http://www.bulthaup.com/bulthaup/internet/central/resource.nsf/imgref/Image_pro_sb3_gal_05.jpg/$FILE/pro_sb3_gal_05.jpg

Seems like their timing is about 4 years too late. The free-money Home Equity Loans are no longer available and the investors picking up the foreclosures aren't really interested in fixing them up with new kitchens.

bmfarley
Mar 9, 2008, 4:13 AM
Seems like their timing is about 4 years too late. The free-money Home Equity Loans are no longer available and the investors picking up the foreclosures aren't really interested in fixing them up with new kitchens.
I'd agree with you in spades. But, maybe they are planning on the dead cat bounce taking hold?

keg92101
Mar 9, 2008, 6:37 PM

And I'm sure you know more about retail locations than an international, custom, Kitchen manufacturer.

SDCAL
Mar 9, 2008, 6:56 PM

I'm just confused as to why CCDC would have updated Cosmo Square from an all-condo project to a hotel/condo project on March 5th if the project is completely dead?? That's why I'm curious if you have inside info or just speculating. I guess I can try researching it myself by calling around to places

SDCAL
Mar 9, 2008, 7:00 PM
I'd agree with you in spades. But, maybe they are planning on the dead cat bounce taking hold?

Also, this brand is pretty well-known in high-end circles, as SDs only Bulthaup showroom I imagine it will attract people from La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, and the other affluent areas of the city

Marina_Guy
Mar 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
I'm just confused as to why CCDC would have updated Cosmo Square from an all-condo project to a hotel/condo project on March 5th if the project is completely dead?? That's why I'm curious if you have inside info or just speculating. I guess I can try researching it myself by calling around to places

The 'inside' info I have says it is dead. Very dead. And that is sad. Cool building. They just missed the 'easy money' times... I had heard that Doug Wilson was interested in it... but that was a while ago...

Anyone have some comments on the new Hilton? I do. That thing is so nasty. The Port is responsible for more blight. The Port of San Diego should be dismantled. They are incapable of proper planning and oversight. Go look at that thing from Coronado. Look at it as you go over the Coronado Bridge. It is more hideous blight on the skyline. It looks like they forgot to put the top on it. Also, I don't understand the ramp in front of it, is that permanent? If so, why do we have Las Vegas style ramps on the waterfront?

bmfarley
Mar 10, 2008, 12:49 AM
I'm just confused as to why CCDC would have updated Cosmo Square from an all-condo project to a hotel/condo project on March 5th if the project is completely dead?? That's why I'm curious if you have inside info or just speculating. I guess I can try researching it myself by calling around to placesI'd speculate that the developer has not formally told CCDC the project is not going to happen, maybe they are trying to sell the lot & plans; and CCDC, while not formally being told, is doing their part to keep and make downtown San Diego appear still developmentally active by keeping the project both on the list and interactive map.

Btw, many project appear to have been updated thru March 5th with little, if anything, materially changing.

sandiegodweller
Mar 10, 2008, 2:00 AM
And I'm sure you know more about retail locations than an international, custom, Kitchen manufacturer.

No sir, it is called common sense and intuition, something that has been lacking in the market for about 5 years now.

sandiegodweller
Mar 10, 2008, 2:04 AM
Also, this brand is pretty well-known in high-end circles, as SDs only Bulthaup showroom I imagine it will attract people from La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, and the other affluent areas of the city

So why not put your showroom near your potential clients? Maybe a shop in La Jolla or Rancho Santa Fe might be a better location.

sandiegodweller
Mar 10, 2008, 2:08 AM
I'd speculate that the developer has not formally told CCDC the project is not going to happen, maybe they are trying to sell the lot & plans; and CCDC, while not formally being told, is doing their part to keep and make downtown San Diego appear still developmentally active by keeping the project both on the list and interactive map.

Btw, many project appear to have been updated thru March 5th with little, if anything, materially changing.

The site was partially foreclosed on. It was shopped around to every office developer, condo developer and "vulture" fund around for the past year. I am pretty sure that the CCDC knows the situation considering that the Fire Station property was a portion of the approved project..

HurricaneHugo
Mar 10, 2008, 5:08 AM
The Sprinter is now online.

kpexpress
Mar 10, 2008, 8:45 AM
Can someone give a fresh photo update on all highrises under construction downtown? I think that Saphire Tower is getting pretty tall and Vantage Pionte is growing strong too. They have also been digging at Market/11th, Broadway/Union, ect.

Can we get an update?

kpexpress
Mar 10, 2008, 8:46 AM
Any news on the East Village suspension bridge? And speaking of bridges, when are they going to put the lights on the coronado bay bridge?

SDCAL
Mar 10, 2008, 6:23 PM
So why not put your showroom near your potential clients? Maybe a shop in La Jolla or Rancho Santa Fe might be a better location.

I didn't mean La Jolla, Rancho SF and the like would be exclusive, I meant that in addition to downtown business they would also likely have business from upscale clients around the county

Things are slow right now, but that doesn't mean downtown residents are not spending money on higher-end home products. I recently went to a downtown location to inquire on window treatments at a place that is far from cheap, and their business is booming downtown

SDCAL
Mar 10, 2008, 6:25 PM
The 'inside' info I have says it is dead. Very dead. And that is sad. Cool building. They just missed the 'easy money' times... I had heard that Doug Wilson was interested in it... but that was a while ago...

Anyone have some comments on the new Hilton? I do. That thing is so nasty. The Port is responsible for more blight. The Port of San Diego should be dismantled. They are incapable of proper planning and oversight. Go look at that thing from Coronado. Look at it as you go over the Coronado Bridge. It is more hideous blight on the skyline. It looks like they forgot to put the top on it. Also, I don't understand the ramp in front of it, is that permanent? If so, why do we have Las Vegas style ramps on the waterfront?

what a shame :hell:

The project not only looks nice, but it seems like a really good fit for that location, too :(

I wonder if the same fate exists for library tower?

SDCAL
Mar 10, 2008, 6:27 PM
I'd speculate that the developer has not formally told CCDC the project is not going to happen, maybe they are trying to sell the lot & plans; and CCDC, while not formally being told, is doing their part to keep and make downtown San Diego appear still developmentally active by keeping the project both on the list and interactive map.

your right - wouldn't be the first time CCDC has not been acurate on their project updates page

I notice library tower also says it was updated the 5th, but nothing changed in the project description -

Derek
Mar 10, 2008, 8:36 PM
what a shame :hell:

The project not only looks nice, but it seems like a really good fit for that location, too :(

I wonder if the same fate exists for library tower?

The Library Tower's sales office on Fifth Avenue had taken down their model of the tower on display in the office a few months ago. They have recently put that model back up.

Crackertastik
Mar 10, 2008, 9:50 PM

Im not sure what you mean by blight. This is going to be Hilton's flagship for the west coast. I personally have worked on the interior and amenities for this project, and it is kick ass. The building not be the most beautiful thing ever, but it is simplistic and certainly not NASTY. Certain vantage points give it nice character in my opinion.

The point is, it is certainly not blight. It'll be the nicest buildings on a street level that is on the waterfront in San Diego for visiting folks. Quit exagerrating.

PadreHomer
Mar 11, 2008, 12:14 AM
I see the Hilton Tower every day and I have no problem with it. It certainly isn't world class architecture, but I prefer it over dead shipyards, empty warehouses and empty lots though, and downtown desperately NEEDS more hotel rooms, lots of them. I only wish they could turn the marine terminal into a Chargers Stadium.

CoastersBolts
Mar 11, 2008, 2:09 AM
Can anyone tell me the story about Doug Manchester's proposal for the Hilton site and why the Port decided to go with Hilton over Manchester? As my memory puts it, Manchester wanted to build a hotel and marina that would not have included the ugly parking garage which has sat next to the Hilton for the last few years. I remember something about unions which would also explain why the Port continues to allow the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal operate under dubious financial benefit to the region/waterfront.

HurricaneHugo
Mar 11, 2008, 8:39 AM
Any news on the East Village suspension bridge? And speaking of bridges, when are they going to put the lights on the coronado bay bridge?

i think you mean the bridge going over harbor drive?

malsponger
Mar 12, 2008, 5:11 AM
been browsing the forums for a while but never posted. Decided that everyone loves pictures as much as I do so I took my camera with me when I went for a walk on Sunday. Enjoy...

Downtown progress 3-9-08

The Columbia area really filling in with the presence of it's new guests.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2339.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2374.jpg

Breeza:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2342.jpg
With all the concrete it looks like late night choo choo passes might not be as bothersome.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2345.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2353.jpg
looks like some people might get confused on what cruise ship to board.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2390.jpg

Bayside:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2348.jpg
looks like the window frames are black which I think looks good. Interested in seeing it completed and the contrast between the wall color and windows.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2354.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2360.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2365.jpg

Sapphire:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2380.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2382.jpg
really rising fast
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2392.jpg
I like the big presence of glass but that may be an annoyance if the train noise doesn't get solved.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2387.jpg

Electra:
I wasn't a big fan of the building at first but it's really grown on me and it may be one of my favorites now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2372.jpg

La Vita:
Another charm in my opinion
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2393.jpg

Aperture:
Lovely great looking building. Wish it was a little more centrally located.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2394.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2399.jpg
glass corners make me happy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2398.jpg
Vantage Pointe rising in the distance, got about another 10-12 stories to go I believe.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2397.jpg

Vantage Pointe:
Massive building. Was interested in some units there but they are incredibly over priced and I imagine the place might be a zoo with that many units.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2401.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2417.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2418.jpg
I'm curious to see what the actual glass color will look like. I couldn't find any unwrapped windows.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2414.jpg

Aria:
An architecturally stunning building. Best looking building DT I think.
From Discovery
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2410.jpg
The better side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2411.jpg
I think these units should have pointed in another direction with a better view but still cool.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2406.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2412.jpg
A little Cortez Blu in there
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2405.jpg

I don't assume this will get off the ground any time soon?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2402.jpg

Diegan:
Only shot I could get without breaking the walk routine. Anyone know the current status of this place? Heard some lawsuits were going on between original developer and Setai.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2419.jpg

Smart Corner:
I really like this place and it's a cool concept. There's some baggage to be had for now but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2421.jpg

And a little snip it of The Mark:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/malsponger/IMG_2424.jpg

CoastersBolts
Mar 12, 2008, 5:56 AM
With the housing market going down the toilet like it is, I hope that we aren't about to see a bunch of very dark condos being completed. Hopefully the projects under construction now will be the last we see for a while as the market recovers.

bmfarley
Mar 12, 2008, 5:56 AM
been browsing the forums for a while but never posted. Decided that everyone loves pictures as much as I do so I took my camera with me when I went for a walk on Sunday. Enjoy...
Sweet photo post. Agree with you on many comments.

I really like Bayside and how it's turning out; especially the podium levels right on the corner of Pacific and Ash. I don't think the initial illustrations did the project much justice.

I think it would be really cool to see a time lapse photography looking north up Pacific, from say Harbor, of development of the corridor over the next few years. We have Bayside and Breeza today, NBC and Lane Field, and 700 Broadway coming soon. We should see a stunning transformation along this roadway very soon.

HurricaneHugo
Mar 12, 2008, 8:09 AM
Best first post ever.

navyweaxguy
Mar 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
Will be in SD for a few days starting on Sunday. Anyone wanna help me look for an apt? :D Thinking DT or Coronado. 1 bedroom.

Derek
Mar 13, 2008, 1:44 AM
Nice shots! Sapphire shot up really fast.

I drove by the Atmosphere today actually and noticed some below ground work had commenced. Was this project started and halted? Or is there some new life?

malsponger
Mar 13, 2008, 3:21 AM
I'd never noticed it before but I do not go into Cortez Hill often so am not sure if its new or has been there a while. The sign looked kinda faded and dead. With the way the market is and all the new buildings I wouldn't be surprised if it was halted.

bmfarley
Mar 13, 2008, 4:03 AM
Nice shots! Sapphire shot up really fast.

I drove by the Atmosphere today actually and noticed some below ground work had commenced. Was this project started and halted? Or is there some new life?
It definately was in a suspended mode; for over a year I believe. However, I seem to recall the property and project plans were sold 2-3 months ago.

Derek
Mar 13, 2008, 4:09 AM
It definately was in a suspended mode; for over a year I believe. However, I seem to recall the property and project plans were sold 2-3 months ago.

Oh, interesting. Well, I'll try to give you all updates on that particular project since I noticed something. That is if there are going to be any updates to give.

kpexpress
Mar 15, 2008, 4:37 AM
i think you mean the bridge going over harbor drive?

Yes the bridge over harbor drive in front of the new hilton. Anyone have any info on this project?

As for the second part of the my question, will there be a lighting scheme installed at the base of the san diego/coronado bay bridge?

info needed here...

keg92101
Mar 15, 2008, 4:41 PM
Looks like we can expect this to start coming out of the ground in the next couple of months. The 1st foundation pour has been going on at Hotel Indigo this morning.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w249/keg92101/DSC_0001.jpg

This thing should go up pretty quick...

HurricaneHugo
Mar 16, 2008, 9:18 AM

HurricaneHugo
Mar 16, 2008, 9:22 AM
This is the only thing I could find on it

Port pursues bright idea for bridge

CORONADO – The San Diego-Coronado Bridge soon may be bathed in light after the Port of San Diego approved plans yesterday to pursue an artistic illumination of the majestic structure.

The Port Commission voted for its Public Art Committee to partner with state transportation officials to light the 2.12-mile bridge from underneath.

Commissioner Sylvia Rios interrupted a presentation by Catherine Sass, the port's public art director.

Before the presentation was even finished, Rios wanted to make a motion to authorize the proposal, which also included a $50,000 design budget. The vote was unanimous.

Gaidi Finnie, a member of the art committee, said he was surprised but gratified at the swift decision. Finnie said the project has received widespread support from a number of local, state, military and federal officials.

“I feel I was pushing for this for so long,” Finnie said. “I was relentless. It is such a great project.”

Public opinion on both sides of the bridge appears to favor the project. Maria Lemus of Barrio Logan, whose Evans Street home of 20 years has a view of the bridge, said yesterday she had never heard of the idea but liked it.

“It looks beautiful right now,” Lemus said. “I think it would look very nice with lights.”

Bill Speer, who lives on Glorietta Bay Boulevard in Coronado, said he and his wife, Marsi Steirer, are supporters of the bridge lighting.

“We wouldn't have been if it had been proposed with standard lighting,” said Speer, whose 28 solar roof panels help him offset half his electric costs. “I think it's a great idea to the extent that they use energy-efficient lighting.”

Robert Mosher, architect of the San Diego-Coronado Bridge, attended the meeting prepared to speak in favor of the project.

“It could be a real nighttime asset,” said Mosher, adding that he would love to see the “graceful pylons” under the bridge illuminated.

Finnie said he is not sure what to expect from artists, but it may look nothing like a rendering created by a local architect for his presentations. The rendering shows the bridge bathed in blue light.

Built with 20,000 tons of steel and 94,000 cubic yards of concrete, the bridge opened Aug. 3, 1969. Many have marveled at the dramatic curve of the bridge, which spans the San Diego Bay.

Finnie said two recent examples of bridge lighting are the Sundial Bridge in Redding and the Vincent Thomas Bridge at the Port of Los Angeles. The Sundial Bridge is lighted at night by 210 lights. The Vincent Thomas Bridge uses cost-efficient light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, and a solar photovoltaic system.

Sass said the district hopes to secure arts or lighting grants as the main source of funding for the installation, maintenance and electrical costs.

Finnie said the committee's first step is to seek artist proposals for the lighting plan, which they emphasized must be energy efficient.

“The intent is to get as efficient a design as possible, where cost is not the deciding factor whether to do it or not,” Sass said.

The art committee next will prepare guidelines for the lighting project. Committee members will begin contacting artists for proposals. They will narrow the list to a few artists, who then will be paid about $15,000 each to create models.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/sdscene_5large.jpg

SDDTProspector
Mar 16, 2008, 5:26 PM
cosmo square is still a go....... but not for 6 months.. it will be a parking lot for this summer, but should see some action this fall...

The giant Grigio Is also it going to get a roof top club, I can't think of the clubs name in LA , something like the "Orient" (think of the standard in LA). anyways my friends are stoked because the "orient?" is a great club

Derek
Mar 16, 2008, 5:48 PM
Where did you find that information?

SDCAL
Mar 16, 2008, 6:10 PM
cosmo square is still a go....... but not for 6 months.. it will be a parking lot for this summer, but should see some action this fall...

The giant Grigio Is also it going to get a roof top club, I can't think of the clubs name in LA , something like the "Orient" (think of the standard in LA). anyways my friends are stoked because the "orient?" is a great club

thanks for the info and hope you are correct, woul dlove to see Cosmo get off the ground

where did you get the info?? some people on here are saying it is definately dead, but nobody ever spills the sources so it's hard to tell if people have tangible information from reliable sources they are trying to keep discreet, or if they are just stating their opinions :(

SDDTProspector
Mar 16, 2008, 7:03 PM
I have 2 buddies that work in the construction business....

One for Morley builders, does work in LA, orange county and SD

http://www.morleybuilders.com/

The other for Oliver Mcmillian

http://www.olivermcmillan.com

Its not like they divulge any secrets or anything... They just talk about some of their bids that they are making....

In general, they are both saying that most developments are NOT being cancelled, just postponed for 3 to 5 years.... Alot of "rights" on pre-approved proposals are being sold among investors...

on a side note, the BallPark village is a two five hundred foot tower complex still (mixed use, about 80% hotel space) and is moving fast.... construction bids have gone out and every construction company in southern Calf, wants it... It Going to be HUGE and will dramatically change the SD skyline!!!!!!

I know about Comso, because Morley is going to use the cosmo lot to store some equipment over the summer... but could only sign a 6 month lease because.... Doug manchester wants to develop on it begining this fall... Is that enough evidence??

Derek
Mar 16, 2008, 9:01 PM
Sounds like some good stuff. Keep us posted! :tup:

PadreHomer
Mar 16, 2008, 10:45 PM
Will this city ever let Doug Manchester build anything ever again? ;)

bmfarley
Mar 16, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have 2 buddies that work in the construction business....

One for Morley builders, does work in LA, orange county and SD

http://www.morleybuilders.com/

The other for Oliver Mcmillian

http://www.olivermcmillan.com

Its not like they divulge any secrets or anything... They just talk about some of their bids that they are making....

In general, they are both saying that most developments are NOT being cancelled, just postponed for 3 to 5 years.... Alot of "rights" on pre-approved proposals are being sold among investors...

on a side note, the BallPark village is a two five hundred foot tower complex still (mixed use, about 80% hotel space) and is moving fast.... construction bids have gone out and every construction company in southern Calf, wants it... It Going to be HUGE and will dramatically change the SD skyline!!!!!!

I know about Comso, because Morley is going to use the cosmo lot to store some equipment over the summer... but could only sign a 6 month lease because.... Doug manchester wants to develop on it begining this fall... Is that enough evidence??
This stuff sounds like it has credence.

I don't want to sound like a cynic, but I doubt many projects ever just get cancelled. Outside of new issues that may arise with a project proposal; like unforeseen city criteria, competing developments, financials that just have fallen apart, etc... I'd speculate that the standard line is that a project is postponed is quite normal. And they end up sitting and sitting and then they are eventually all forgotten about.

The internet and sites like this help keep those proposal in our consciousnes.

kpexpress
Mar 17, 2008, 5:58 AM
Will this city ever let Doug Manchester build anything ever again? ;)

What did Doug Manchester do that was so offensive that the city would ban him from further develoment?

All I know of him is the huge flag office building and the manchester...not been here in SD for too long, can someone fill me in?

Derek
Mar 17, 2008, 6:14 AM
I don't get it either. :P

sandiegodweller
Mar 17, 2008, 1:59 PM

No offense but bids are not a great indicator of activity. I look at projects all of the time with consultants (land planners, civil engineers, grading contractors, etc.). Most times, they whip out a land plan or "take off" that they did for the site years ago for someone else. Most developers continually rebid jobs to make sure that the budget is up to date.

My skepticism arises from the evidence that there will be ZERO demand for new hotel rooms on this side of town after the new Hilton, Indigo and Marriott Residence Inn are complete. Setai/Diegan will also be adding a few hundred rooms in the next few months.

From www.sandiego.com/option,com_sdca/target,dff33954-a379-4cbf-9cf8-ee64927e8447/

"Increased Supply

Almost 2,000 new rooms will enter the market in late 2007 and on through mid- 2008. These include the opening of the Hard Rock Hotel with 393 rooms, The Diegan in March 2008, 185 rooms, the Homewood Suites, which opened in September of 2007, and the Courtyard by Marriott, 200 and 150 rooms respectively at Liberty Station/Point Loma, the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Del Mar with 80 rooms in February, The Grand Del Mar Resort & Spa, 261 rooms, the Sheraton Grande in Carlsbad, 250 rooms, the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites, both set to open in Carlsbad in January, 2008 with 94 and 145 rooms respectively, and the Hampton Inn & Suites in Poway with 111 rooms in March of this year.

The 1,869 rooms flooding the market represent only half of the planned room additions to San Diego. Perhaps the most significant of these additions is the expansion of the SD Hilton Convention Center. This 1190 room property will open in late 2008. This three percent increase in supply will cause occupancy rates to drop by two full percentage points unless major demand increases occur."

On top of that, there is negative demand for new condos in East Village for at least 3-5 years.

Doug Manchester is buried in litigation on Navy Broadway Complex. He is also heavily involved in Lane Field. I don't see his creditors and financial backers allowing him to pry his attention away from those two megaprojects to develop a small competing site across town.

SDCAL
Mar 17, 2008, 4:54 PM
No offense but bids are not a great indicator of activity. I look at projects all of the time with consultants (land planners, civil engineers, grading contractors, etc.). Most times, they whip out a land plan or "take off" that they did for the site years ago for someone else. Most developers continually rebid jobs to make sure that the budget is up to date.

My skepticism arises from the evidence that there will be ZERO demand for new hotel rooms on this side of town after the new Hilton, Indigo and Marriott Residence Inn are complete. Setai/Diegan will also be adding a few hundred rooms in the next few months.

From www.sandiego.com/option,com_sdca/target,dff33954-a379-4cbf-9cf8-ee64927e8447/

"Increased Supply

Almost 2,000 new rooms will enter the market in late 2007 and on through mid- 2008. These include the opening of the Hard Rock Hotel with 393 rooms, The Diegan in March 2008, 185 rooms, the Homewood Suites, which opened in September of 2007, and the Courtyard by Marriott, 200 and 150 rooms respectively at Liberty Station/Point Loma, the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Del Mar with 80 rooms in February, The Grand Del Mar Resort & Spa, 261 rooms, the Sheraton Grande in Carlsbad, 250 rooms, the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites, both set to open in Carlsbad in January, 2008 with 94 and 145 rooms respectively, and the Hampton Inn & Suites in Poway with 111 rooms in March of this year.

The 1,869 rooms flooding the market represent only half of the planned room additions to San Diego. Perhaps the most significant of these additions is the expansion of the SD Hilton Convention Center. This 1190 room property will open in late 2008. This three percent increase in supply will cause occupancy rates to drop by two full percentage points unless major demand increases occur."

On top of that, there is negative demand for new condos in East Village for at least 3-5 years.

Doug Manchester is buried in litigation on Navy Broadway Complex. He is also heavily involved in Lane Field. I don't see his creditors and financial backers allowing him to pry his attention away from those two megaprojects to develop a small competing site across town.

I agree with you that things are not good right now and that people in the development biz like to paint a rosier and more optimistic picture than the facts show, but some of your thoughts seem to be overly-pessimistic in the way others are overly-optimistic.

For example the statement above - the one thing I have learned from living downtown and having owned real-estate in San Diego is that any speculation - positive or negative - beyond 1 year is a craps shoot. How can you say for certain 2009 won't see the housing/condo market begin rebounding? Where is this "at least 3-5 year" figure coming from??

Also, I don't think developers would start new hotels if the market research didn't indicate there is a market for them. Don't they take into consideration new hotels like Hilton, Setai, etc when they do their market research

SDCAL
Mar 17, 2008, 4:56 PM
Has anyone heard of plans to expand the convention center?

That could drive-up the need for hotels

SDCAL
Mar 17, 2008, 5:00 PM
What did Doug Manchester do that was so offensive that the city would ban him from further develoment?

All I know of him is the huge flag office building and the manchester...not been here in SD for too long, can someone fill me in?

Alot of people are tired of the same big developers getting special treatment and monopolies from local government when it comes to deveoping in San Diego

Manchester is the poster-child for this. He is very "political" and is known for making back-room deals with local officials and being very chummy with government officials who directly affect his business and make decisions on who will be awarded development contracts, what environmental requirements are necessary, etc., and he was bailed out using tax-payer dollars when his company declared bankrupcy

I think alot of people just want to see "new blood" in the big development world

SDCAL
Mar 17, 2008, 5:03 PM
Is that enough evidence??

It is :) :) Thank you for the insight!!

sandiegodweller
Mar 17, 2008, 5:35 PM
Also, I don't think developers would start new hotels if the market research didn't indicate there is a market for them. Don't they take into consideration new hotels like Hilton, Setai, etc when they do their market research

I am not as naive anymore. I know that Developers get paid to develop and Market Researchers get paid by developers to produce positive reports. Haven't the last 2 years (and the collapse of the financial markets) proven this by now? What market research was Countrywide, WAMU, Corus Bank, et. al using for the past 3 years when they were still lending on unattainable prices?

Intuition should tell most people that the thousands of unsold units in The Mark, Electra, Alta, Vantage Pointe, Bayside, Saphire, and the rest probably indicate a market slump. Add the 600+ units on MLS (12 months worth of resale) and I would say that there will be an abundance of units for at least 5years. That could change if prices are cut in half but that would be a bigger problem.

"MARKET RESEARCH" (Jim Cramer) was telling everyone to not sell Bear Stearns stock last week (it was still worth $3.5 billion on Friday). Guess what it is worth 72 hours later? Less than $500 million. Do you know where the MARKET RESEARCHERS get their information? See a classic example below:

Bear Stearns: 'Absolutely No Truth' In Liquidity Rumors

March 10, 2008: 05:28 PM EST

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Bear Stearns Cos. (BSC) backed its liquidity position, issuing a statement declaring "there is absolutely no truth to the rumors" that circulated earlier Monday.

President and Chief Executive Alan Schwartz said in the statement, "Bear Stearns' balance sheet, liquidity and capital remain strong."

Shares of Bear Stearns closed down $7.78, or 11%, at $62.30 on more than four times average daily trading volume of 7.31 million shares. Shares were up 42 cents at $62.72 in recent after-hours trading.

The company is due to release its first-quarter earnings results on March 20."

JP Morgan announced over the weekend that it is buying the entire company in a stock swap for somewhere in the $2 to $5 range. I guess the MARKET RESEARCHERS didn't see a 60+ point potential drop in 7 days.

bmfarley
Mar 18, 2008, 3:12 AM

"Increased Supply

To be fare, any hotels north of I-8 might as well be in Canada. Rooms that far away have little bearing on downtown, imo.