3-8th floors - hotel rooms
9-14th floors - residential units

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/jaga185/200fthotel.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/jaga185/200fthotel2.jpg

or the 300ft alternative!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/jaga185/300fthotel.jpg

elmariachi
Feb 19, 2007, 11:50 PM
Great find. I hope it gets built. Not like some other buildings that have come and gone.

sanantoniorocks21
Feb 20, 2007, 1:13 AM
Cool! Can't quite pinpoint the location exactly, it's a little hard to tell imo

NBTX11
Feb 20, 2007, 1:29 AM
Where is this. What is the 376' building. Trying to pinpoint exactly where this is.

BSofA04
Feb 20, 2007, 1:46 AM
Why not go bigger? There's only so much land downtown and with the push to get San Antonians to live in the city center, what gives? Show me something in the 40-50 story range!

elmariachi
Feb 20, 2007, 1:46 AM
the 375' is the nix hospital. from what i can tell this is on the corner of navarro and commerce. currently there are some 2 story buildings there.

elmariachi
Feb 20, 2007, 1:49 AM
my mistake. currently there is a parking lot there.

sakyle04
Feb 20, 2007, 2:47 AM
Very cool. Where did this come from?

NBTX11
Feb 20, 2007, 2:57 AM
I hope it's not the shorter version. We've got enough midrises as it is. Don't need any more of those, we need highrises, 350'+, preferably 400'+

21bl0wed
Feb 20, 2007, 3:51 AM
I'll file this already under the "wont happen" catagory. I remember seeing the black/white for the 300' building that was supposed to get built near kress (like nextdoor) but it still hasn't happened...It's been around a year with no word...Or pretty close..So just how the details on this are so vague...How are there models of the building, without knowing what companies are involved? Where is the info? Idk i've been let down too many times. Im not trying to be a pessimist just a realist.

Complex01
Feb 20, 2007, 3:53 AM
OKay were is this project. Is this the Kress building, or a totally different building/location. Was there any copy to go along....

:shrug:

alexjon
Feb 20, 2007, 4:14 AM
I'll file this already under the "wont happen" catagory. I remember seeing the black/white for the 300' building that was supposed to get built near kress (like nextdoor) but it still hasn't happened...It's been around a year with no word...Or pretty close..So just how the details on this are so vague...How are there models of the building, without knowing what companies are involved? Where is the info? Idk i've been let down too many times. Im not trying to be a pessimist just a realist.

A realist?

Do you know how long it takes for a building like that to get built?

SAguy
Feb 20, 2007, 4:27 AM
21bl0wed
I'll file this already under the "wont happen" catagory. I remember seeing the black/white for the 300' building that was supposed to get built near kress (like nextdoor) but it still hasn't happened...It's been around a year with no word...

The Condo building you are referring to is still under review.

21bl0wed
Feb 20, 2007, 5:00 AM
A realist?

Do you know how long it takes for a building like that to get built?

IN SA terms or in terms of a major city? I know a 300' building isn't going to get much attention and start construction rather quickly in any large city. SA is unique so maybe i was being unrealistic and forgot to think in SA terms...I know a 300' building in austin dallas or houston isn't going to be "under" review for a year...But hey..I guess it has to do with the art-deco preservation of the kress building look thing..Since this building isn't the same and is hopefully not having to keep a certain look to "preserve" its surroundings maybe we can hear from it sooner than later.

tmathis
Feb 20, 2007, 5:16 AM
Any guesses as to who will be the hotel tenant?

jaga185
Feb 20, 2007, 5:24 AM
This is a complete new structure other than the Kress building, and its tower. The applicant is 3D/I - Andres Andujar. The residential part of the proposal is optional, so in all reality this could really only be 198ft to the roof and 220ft to the mech box. The address is 245 East Commerce Street.

kornbread
Feb 20, 2007, 5:44 AM
...I know a 300' building in austin dallas or houston isn't going to be "under" review for a year...But hey..I guess it has to do with the art-deco preservation of the kress building look thing..Since this building isn't the same and is hopefully not having to keep a certain look to "preserve" its surroundings maybe we can hear from it sooner than later.
No, it most likely has to do with the market, financing or committments. When you're dealing with millions of dollars on a project like this, it could take a little extra work to get all the pieces together...in any city.

The project in this thread is on the lot where the old Planet Hollywood died, next to the Watermark hotel. This space is definately underutilized

21bl0wed
Feb 20, 2007, 6:04 AM
No, it most likely has to do with the market, financing or committments. When you're dealing with millions of dollars on a project like this, it could take a little extra work to get all the pieces together...in any city.

The project in this thread is on the lot where the old Planet Hollywood died, next to the Watermark hotel. This space is definately underutilized

Do you know if its on the parking lot itself? Or where the structure is? Or both?

Yea i could see financial stuff taking a while and money issues but still....You'd think 1 300' building in this city where when was the last time a 300' was built? That it would pretty much just go up wam-bam-thank-you-mam instead of all the delays...How's it gonna be when there are multiple 300'+ buildings proposed?

tmathis
Feb 20, 2007, 6:18 AM
21bl0wed, real estate development does not work like that. It is never wam-bam-thank you ma\'am.

matttwentyeight
Feb 20, 2007, 8:49 AM
it sure aint... it's more like wam bam and then it blows up in your face by the smallest detail that would not have seemed to have mattered any other time but the time it actually made the difference. i have had clients who "loved" the house like it was already their own, but then their own house under contract at the time they made their offer ends up falling thru and you get screwed... everyone gets screwed.... the only time it is wam bam thankyou ma'am is when both sides have closed and the last penny is paid. period.

this project is located in the current agenda for the hdrc which is located at this linked address (large pdf DL... 40 or 50 mb)

http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/docs/210207HDRC_Agenda.pdf

there is also stuff about vidorra and another hotel condo preject that is being built that is only 5 or 6 floors. check it out.

Complex01
Feb 20, 2007, 4:53 PM
Okay people, here is the dirt on the "proposed project".

HDRC CASE NO: 2007-50

Address: 245 E. Commerce Street

REQUEST:

1) Demolish an exisiting non-historic structure in the RIO District (Rio Plaza/Planet Hollywood)

2)Contrcut a new high rise with hotel, retail, meeting rooms, parking and residential (optional).

Therefore i think must of us were looking at parking lots, but this building would tear down the planet hollywood and replace it with a taller structure. Now the location makes more sense. I have to say i never saw this coming, and if it does go through, i would like to see a 300 ft structure, that is almost as tall as the nix. It would be very nice on that corner. Build it Up...

:yes:

starvinggryphon
Feb 20, 2007, 5:03 PM
^^^
True. I've always hated that damned Presidio Plaza building. It doesn't make sense to have a small four story building facing north while most of the tract is a f'ing parking lot on the Commerce side of the street. What a waste.

By the way for those who don't know, the Commerce side of the block is a parking lot and the Crockett side is now Club Rive.

21bl0wed
Feb 20, 2007, 5:19 PM
21bl0wed, real estate development does not work like that. It is never wam-bam-thank you ma\'am.

IN SA it hasn't. I just know that a 300' in any other large city isn't going to raise much of an eyebrow and have as much scrutiny. I know thats only an SA thing...So a 300' building proposed here would generally take a lot longer to get underway over a 300' building proposed in some other city like...Dallas or Houston for instance....Right?...Who knows i may be dead wrong and maybe 300' buildings even in chicago take over a year most of the time to get off the ground! lol...Anyway I hope this gets built...With the NIX so close...it would look nice.

I just wish taller buildings in SA could go up as easily as...say...Staybridge went up...And how quickly Vistana started construction...I mean come on why didn't those take so long to get underway?

michobq
Feb 20, 2007, 5:41 PM
IN SA it hasn't. I just know that a 300' in any other large city isn't going to raise much of an eyebrow and have as much scrutiny. I know thats only an SA thing...So a 300' building proposed here would generally take a lot longer to get underway over a 300' building proposed in some other city like...Dallas or Houston for instance....Right?...Who knows i may be dead wrong and maybe 300' buildings even in chicago take over a year most of the time to get off the ground! lol...Anyway I hope this gets built...With the NIX so close...it would look nice.

I just wish taller buildings in SA could go up as easily as...say...Staybridge went up...And how quickly Vistana started construction...I mean come on why didn't those take so long to get underway?

The reason buildings like the Staybridge and the Vistana are going up so fast is because they are not in the RIO district, which has height restrictions if buildings block light into the riverwalk corridor. If you look at the hdrc review committee agenda pdf, you will see the designs are presented with how the building's shadow will cast at summer and winter solstice. Not only do buildings in SA have to get pass the hdrc, but they might have to get the zoning changed and then ultimately, city council approval.

Cities, like Houston, that don't have any zoning restrictions can approve buildings much quicker. I am not sure about Dallas or Austin, but I know that thier restrictions in historic districts are not as stringent as San Antonio. We have the Riverwalk and the Alamo, which have caused a lot of buildings to be scaled down or not been built because of viewshed or shadow restrictions.

KevinFromTexas
Feb 20, 2007, 6:31 PM
Well, at any rate it's good to hear that a developer is making an effort to put anything up. Here's to hoping it happens. :cheers:

jaga185
Feb 20, 2007, 6:40 PM
What I did notice about the Vidorra though, is that it said that the design was under review. Which means there are still improvements a long the way, or mis-haps, you never know. Anyway, even if the 300ft structure isn't approved, the 190ft structure is not that bad to have in a rather short area of downtown.

sakyle04
Feb 20, 2007, 7:22 PM
Notice also the River North hotel/codo proposal embedded in the PDF??

5 story, 123 hotel room, 12 condo development with street level retail on Ninth St.

It's nothing significant height-wise, but every development that makes land more scarce will encourage building up.

tmathis
Feb 20, 2007, 10:08 PM
Vidorra is the fastest selling condo highrise in Texas.

tmathis
Feb 20, 2007, 10:12 PM
I also noticed Kell-Munoz is putting an office in River North as well. Renovating an old building.

texboy
Feb 20, 2007, 10:44 PM
Vidorra is the fastest selling condo highrise in Texas.

Wheres that info coming from?

tmathis
Feb 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
Go to KABB.com and click on their News on Demand link and look for the strory “Highrise Living” You may have to then click play video on the story below that one because the link seems to be broken.

kornbread
Feb 21, 2007, 4:14 AM
Go to KABB.com and click on their News on Demand link and look for the strory “Highrise Living” You may have to then click play video on the story below that one because the link seems to be broken.
Somehow, I don't think Vidorra is the fastest selling condo in the state. If that were true it would probably also be the fastest rising condo in the state.

That said, it may be selling well, which would be good news for other projects in the downtown area. I certainly didn't expect this thread's project.

alexjon
Feb 21, 2007, 4:21 AM
IN SA it hasn't. I just know that a 300' in any other large city isn't going to raise much of an eyebrow and have as much scrutiny. I know thats only an SA thing...

Wrong again.

Other cities fight tooth and nail over this sort of thing... 300' isn't something to cough at, even in a big city.

21bl0wed
Feb 21, 2007, 5:35 AM
Wrong again.

Other cities fight tooth and nail over this sort of thing... 300' isn't something to cough at, even in a big city.

How so? A look over proposed projects in 05 on the forum here..Then looking at the u/c 05 list..>I see many that were proposed in 05...and started construction in 05 same with 06. This is an SA specific problem mainly due to all the restrictions aka, alamo shadow, riverwalk shadow, tower height etc. etc. etc. etc. A city that doesn't have all these barriers won't take a year to approve a 300' building. It's common sense. It may not START construction in a year, but the whole approval process in most cases is going to be a lot quicker than what it takes here in SA.

Complex01
Feb 21, 2007, 2:51 PM
:previous:

I agree...

It takes time to build anything. I just hope it gets done.

:order:

21bl0wed
Feb 21, 2007, 6:06 PM
Is the building going up over the parking lot as well? Or just over the planet hollywood? If its over the parking lot also...I wonder how many levels of underground parking?

starvinggryphon
Feb 21, 2007, 7:02 PM
Judging from the renderings it seems to cover the entire length of the block from Commerce to Crockett on both proposals. I'm hoping for the 300', but at this point anything is better than that damned parking lot and that waste of space Rio Plaza.

alexjon
Feb 22, 2007, 1:54 AM
Uh, I live in Portland Oregon right now, the urban planning model for most of this country, and most buildings take years to get approved

The pessimism isn't healthy, kiddo

21bl0wed
Feb 22, 2007, 3:13 AM
not worth it.

KevinFromTexas
Feb 22, 2007, 3:20 AM
Not to sound like a knuckle dragger here, but ugh.

Complex01
Feb 22, 2007, 3:08 PM
Commission OKs high-rise concept for Planet Hollywood site

Web Posted: 02/21/2007 11:36 PM CST

Scott Huddleston
Express-News

The city's Historic and Design Review Commission gave conceptual approval to a 300-foot high-rise that could replace the downtown complex that once housed Planet Hollywood.
The four-story Rio Plaza, formerly called Presidio Plaza, functions well at the River Walk level as a dining and retail complex, and is a "handsome building," Andrés Andújar, architecture leader with 3D/I, told the commission on Wednesday.

But it's uninviting to visitors, with a parking lot facing Commerce Street, and isn't performing well at street level or above. Working with the owner, Rio Plaza LP, 3D/I has studied designs for a hotel-condo complex that would stand 165 feet, 200 feet or 300 feet high.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/realestate/stories/D_IMAGE.110c4d96578.93.88.fa.d0.233e4dbe.jpg

Because of the high cost of land in what Andújar called "the golden street" — an area along Crockett Street that fetches high prices downtown — the owner wants to focus on a height of 300 feet to give the building the density it needs to be cost-effective, he said.

"No matter what you do, this is going to be an expensive property," Andújar said.

Commission members raised concerns about aesthetics from street level, but gave their blessing to the concept.

"I'm supportive of the 300-foot project that I think really speaks to the future," said Xavier Gonzalez, commission chairman.

The building would be catty-corner from the Nix Hospital, which has 24 floors and is about 375 feet tall. It would be U-shaped on lower floors, which would have hotel, retail and meeting space, and an L-shape on upper floors used as condos.

It's been 11 years since Arnold Schwarzenegger and fellow shareholders Bruce Willis and Demi Moore and other celebrities converged on San Antonio to open their Planet Hollywood restaurant during a star-studded NBA All-Star weekend. Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Chuck Norris, Jimmy Smits, George Clooney and Luke Perry also were on hand.

But the flash wore off over time, and Planet Hollywood quietly closed in late 2001.

Andújar said he hopes to help revive the site with a design that complements the downtown skyline and the River Walk. Although underground parking could be used for condo residents, finding off-site parking for hotel guests will be a major issue, he said.

Commission members nonetheless were heartened.

"Let's go do it. Let's rehab downtown," member Mark Wohlfarth said.

The commission also gave final approval for demolition of the longstanding Los Apaches Café, which is next to the Spanish Governor's Palace, built in 1722, to allow for construction of Marti's, an arts, crafts and jewelry store similar to one in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

An early concern about the store was its two-story design, next to the Governor's Palace, a historic site that's open to the public. Members felt tall trees on the north side of the palace would screen the view of the store.

The store, however, must come up with a new exterior color scheme, since the city's historic preservation staff rejected a proposed shade of "antique rose." Members have said a faded shade of pink, green or sand color might be suitable next to the Governor's Palace, which is white.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shuddleston@express-news.net

Complex01
Feb 22, 2007, 3:09 PM
After reading the article, i have good feelings about it. If they can design a nice concept this would really get things going, and i hope its the 300 ft one. Build it Up...

matttwentyeight
Feb 22, 2007, 3:09 PM
ok y'all, back on target! the 300 is a most-likely go and read about the "let's do it, let's rehab downtown." it's about time.

Commission OKs high-rise concept for Planet Hollywood site

Web Posted: 02/21/2007 11:36 PM CST

Scott Huddleston
Express-News
The city's Historic and Design Review Commission gave conceptual approval to a 300-foot high-rise that could replace the downtown complex that once housed Planet Hollywood.
The four-story Rio Plaza, formerly called Presidio Plaza, functions well at the River Walk level as a dining and retail complex, and is a "handsome building," Andrés Andújar, architecture leader with 3D/I, told the commission on Wednesday.

But it's uninviting to visitors, with a parking lot facing Commerce Street, and isn't performing well at street level or above. Working with the owner, Rio Plaza LP, 3D/I has studied designs for a hotel-condo complex that would stand 165 feet, 200 feet or 300 feet high.

Because of the high cost of land in what Andújar called "the golden street" — an area along Crockett Street that fetches high prices downtown — the owner wants to focus on a height of 300 feet to give the building the density it needs to be cost-effective, he said.

"No matter what you do, this is going to be an expensive property," Andújar said.

On the Web
• Historic and Design Review Commission
• Nix Health Care System

Commission members raised concerns about aesthetics from street level, but gave their blessing to the concept.

"I'm supportive of the 300-foot project that I think really speaks to the future," said Xavier Gonzalez, commission chairman.

The building would be catty-corner from the Nix Hospital, which has 24 floors and is about 375 feet tall. It would be U-shaped on lower floors, which would have hotel, retail and meeting space, and an L-shape on upper floors used as condos.

It's been 11 years since Arnold Schwarzenegger and fellow shareholders Bruce Willis and Demi Moore and other celebrities converged on San Antonio to open their Planet Hollywood restaurant during a star-studded NBA All-Star weekend. Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Chuck Norris, Jimmy Smits, George Clooney and Luke Perry also were on hand.

But the flash wore off over time, and Planet Hollywood quietly closed in late 2001.

Andújar said he hopes to help revive the site with a design that complements the downtown skyline and the River Walk. Although underground parking could be used for condo residents, finding off-site parking for hotel guests will be a major issue, he said.

Commission members nonetheless were heartened.

"Let's go do it. Let's rehab downtown," member Mark Wohlfarth said.

The commission also gave final approval for demolition of the longstanding Los Apaches Café, which is next to the Spanish Governor's Palace, built in 1722, to allow for construction of Marti's, an arts, crafts and jewelry store similar to one in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

An early concern about the store was its two-story design, next to the Governor's Palace, a historic site that's open to the public. Members felt tall trees on the north side of the palace would screen the view of the store.

The store, however, must come up with a new exterior color scheme, since the city's historic preservation staff rejected a proposed shade of "antique rose." Members have said a faded shade of pink, green or sand color might be suitable next to the Governor's Palace, which is white.

Complex01
Feb 22, 2007, 3:11 PM
Thats to funny, i beat ya by a mintue. He he, kevin, you can delete my post, so there are not 2 of the same... Thanxs

sakyle04
Feb 22, 2007, 3:18 PM
Anyone have a stop-watch? Now that approval has been publicly announced, we can see if work has begun in 365 days. ;)

Seriously, I expect really good things from this building. I imagine that an architect has a frustrating/fascinating time trying to design a building that is regal enough to stand next to the Nix (and other historic structures) and modern enough to establish it's own identity and be relevant in the world of 2007.

Very excited.:yes:

matttwentyeight
Feb 22, 2007, 3:23 PM
complex, you are quite humble, but you're faster than me too... i am as slow as a turtle today. i'm gonna go take a nap, and hopefully by the time i wake up there will be a 50 floor tower being announced to build dt. thanks complex... matt williams

starvinggryphon
Feb 23, 2007, 9:03 PM
I saw this story on the Fox's News at Nine.....this seems to have come out of nowhere and already things are moving pretty quickly.

AndresAndujar
May 20, 2007, 3:08 PM
Fun reading your commentaries about the 300 foot approval on Crocket Street, as well as other threads related to Downtown San Antonio.

Good question about when we will see a project go up at Rio Plaza (Presidio). First, the ownership must conclude legal activities. At that time, they might sell the project to a developer. Whoever controls the site eventually will have to push the 300 foot height to get their money back.

The concept does take the whole site and includes excavation, possibly four stories down, to provide parking. Clearly we have to keep the retail access at River Level, but the biggest challenge for this density is parking.

While we are recommending 0.5 cars per hotel room in the downtown area, parking drives many concerns, particularly if the project goes mixed use with condos. unfortunately in Texas, condos are dificult to sell if we don't provide, generally speaking, one car space per bedroom.

Anyway, since the Rio Plaza announcement, we are now working on several other downtown projects, including the one mentioned on Ninth Street, an aLoft on the 400 block of E Houston Street, an Element at Neisner, the 27 story W at Kress, and River North...

San Antonio is definitely going vertical, despite the complications of getting higher densities.

AndresAndujar
May 20, 2007, 3:22 PM
The Kress deal is still cooking and is slated for closing on June 1. If all goes well, the developer intends to do a W there. The condos are questionable at this time. Our market is unabalance when we consider cost of construction vs. market comparables... This location would require condo sales in the $400/SF range.

sirkingwilliam
May 20, 2007, 6:37 PM
Angres, you kick major butt! I see you on the news always campagining for more density downtown, I love it! You are a jewel to our city. I can't believe you're actually posting here.

sirkingwilliam
May 20, 2007, 6:43 PM
So a W and Element within a stones throw of each other on Houston St? Wow, tha's going to rock, Houston St is just blowing up, and now you have all this, the Vistana at the west end of Houston Street new clubs opening up (Metro opening between Suede and Zenbar), now the W and Element as well as Hotel Indigo.

Complex01
May 20, 2007, 9:19 PM
Yes i agree. Keep pushing DownTown to go vertical. There is so much potential. I hope all goes well, keep them coming and welcome...

:cool:

sakyle04
May 21, 2007, 4:24 AM
Wow. A little star-struck here... Welcome to Andres.

Great news on all of the projects, too...

sirkingwilliam
May 21, 2007, 2:18 PM
A question to the mods, what happened to my thread on the 27-story W hotel?

sirkingwilliam
May 21, 2007, 2:30 PM
Andres, so the Rio Plaza could actually be taller than 300 feet depending what the developers wants to do? 300 feet is just the "make your money back" point, so there could be a 350 foot or 600 foot tower? Also, if the W were to include residences in it, would the height increase or stay the same?

sirkingwilliam
May 21, 2007, 2:46 PM
Another question Andres, I am sorry, I'll stop soon. Is there a Four Seasons planned to the River North area or more specifically along the museum reach of the Riverwalk that is currently under construction. I've seen things that say there will be but I am not sure.

GoldenBoot
May 21, 2007, 3:11 PM
Could someone please provide some harder evidence (news articles; press releases) that a Four Seasons and a W are being planned for DT SA? Or are these just rumors/wishful thinking at this point?

I've been trying to follow the growth of DT development projects in SA and have fallen a bit behind. Also, I could not find any indication of a W or Four Seasons proposal on their respective websites. Plus, my friend, who works for Starwood in SA, said she had not heard any internal rumblings of a proposed W at Kress, but she’d keep her ears and eyes open. In fact, she was the one who just over three years ago, told me about Starwood’s plan to put a W in DT Austin.

In any case, this is potentially exciting news. However, I won’t hold my breath until they are “officially announced” by the hotel chains. Developers have a tendency to get a little too excited about a “prospective” tenant. Sometimes, it’s simply mentioned to promote/drum-up interest in their development. But nothing is set-in-stone until there is a signed contract…

sirkingwilliam
May 21, 2007, 5:26 PM
The Fourseason was speculation on my part from a rendering I saw. However Four Seasons was discussed I believe as possibly being the tenant for the hotel planned for the RiverCenter Mall renovation, which begins soon. As for the W Hotel, all anyone here has to say is (and I am not trying to be rude) do you know who Andres Andujar is? He is the head of the San Antonio's 3D/I office as well as the leading force behind River North as well as making downtown denser and taller.

There is no harder evidence than Andres and it is an honer having him here posting. I hope he is able to post more often if his schedule allows.

sirkingwilliam
May 21, 2007, 5:57 PM
To add to what I said above, Andres said the closing of the W for the Kress parking lot site should be done by June 1st.

sakyle04
May 21, 2007, 5:59 PM
^ Ya, having Andres Andujar say it pretty much is on the level as the having the mayor say it. If he says a contract is pending or expected in June or anything of that sort, it's very reliable. He is not a developer as much as an insider who happens to be a lover of DT SA and of urban density in general.

matttwentyeight
May 21, 2007, 9:18 PM
when it comes to Andres Andujar, sirking williams and sakyle are about as on the money as you can get! it really is a pleasure to know that he has joined our forum, and i must say that after i had seen his post yesterday morning i was pretty damn excited. he really is "the horses mouth" when it comes down to something he has stated; hell, i would bet my money on it and i know sirkin and sakyle would do it, too. welcome aboard my friend!

matt williams

sakyle04
May 22, 2007, 12:16 AM
did matt say bet? :hmmm:

ya, i'm ready to lay down the house payment.

-kyle

AndresAndujar
May 23, 2007, 6:18 AM
Well, I just concidentally came back to visit Skyscraper page to find healthy discussion! Thanks for the words of encouragement! I thought you all might miss my comments becuase the last posting was from February, I think. But I sure enjoyed reading the discussion and the speculation.

OK, I'll try to respond to some of the questions here, forgive my lack of elegance, I'm a new user and you are teaching me as we go. First, don't be surprised if I'm wrong from time to time. I'm too optimistic, and sometimes that overextends me. So, don't bet too much money on m statements just yet!

The W deal isn't announced. The developer is working to close on the Kress and Jefferson/Houston Street parking lot. Current target date for closing is June 1. Anything can happen to postpone or kill the deal, but if all goes well and they close, first order of business is to sign with the the hotel chain. This isn't public knowledge, likely not good to say much more in this public forum about this subject... Waiting for the "Officially Announced" is smart at this time. I got approval for 27 stories at this site, regardless of the use or mix of uses.

I haven't seen anything on the Four Seasons. Many say San Antonio is not there yet, but the Watermark seems to be perfroming well. i can imagine a Four Seasons at the Rio Plaza site (the old Planet Hollywood). Located on Crocket Street - the Golden Street, with access to the River, and with an approved height of 300 feet, this is a luxurious site ready for an five star brand -- although the market may not be ready...

On the Golden Street, I've started calling Crocket that and it's starting to stick. The reason, besides the Watermark and the beauty of the small historic structures, is the story of South Bank. It sold last year for six cap, around $635/SF of structure, making it the alleged highest price piece of real estate in the State of Texas!

I haven't seen or heard of a Four Seasons in the River North area.

I saw a deal now fairly or totally dead for a Ritz and a Meridian at Martin/Convent/St Mary's and the River. That is an ideal site for redevelopment, and we have a concept that I'll post if I can figure out how to do that.

Darn it! Control V won't do it. Looks like I have to post it to a website. If anyone knows how to do that send me instructions or your email and i'll send you a screen capture of the San Antonio Google Earth 3D model we have built for our studies.

The height limit on Rio Plaza is 300 feet regardless of use.

Alexjon in Portland, what a city you have. Heavy rail through downtown, $2.50 to the airport, residential above retail, walking distance to work... I'm jealous. Pearl District was my main model for River North, and we are currently looking at national master planners to take the RN vision to new heights. One of the four shortlisted firms is the master planner for Pearl District, and their office is there in Portland. Exciting stuff.

I'm getting sleepy. Let me know if I failed to answer a question.

And by the way, this forum is the most energizing group I've chatted with about this subject in a long time. Keep up the excitement!

sakyle04
May 23, 2007, 1:20 PM
:previous:

Thanks for the info, Andres!!! :worship:

I hate to be so awed by a possibly real internet message boarder, but hey, we believe what we want right?
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

jaga185
May 23, 2007, 4:04 PM
It is very exciting to have Andres posting on here.

sakyle04
May 23, 2007, 4:17 PM
Pearl District was my main model for River North, and we are currently looking at national master planners to take the RN vision to new heights. One of the four shortlisted firms is the master planner for Pearl District, and their office is there in Portland. Exciting stuff.

andres - can you address your vision for River North a little more fully? What type of development (Pearl District?) can we look at to get a glimpse of the future for SA at RN?
And are areas for light rail stations in RN being considered in the planning?
Does the city keep light rail in mind when making these long-range planning decisions?
Do you see River North being the hub if high-rise urban living in SA as opposed to downtown or as a complement to downtown?

Thanks!

sirkingwilliam
May 23, 2007, 7:22 PM
I saw a deal now fairly or totally dead for a Ritz and a Meridian at Martin/Convent/St Mary's and the River. That is an ideal site for redevelopment, and we have a concept that I'll post if I can figure out how to do that.

From looking at a map that seems to be the site talked about a few weeks ago where the owner has sat on it for about a decade or more and done nothing. It's three run down buildings and a large parking lot. The main building is 11 stories I believe white with red stripes and graffiti'd all over on one side.

If that's the site then that just burns even more knowing how lazy the owner is and unwilling to sell the properties to someone who wants to develop that area.

sakyle04
May 23, 2007, 8:53 PM
^:hell:

sirkingwilliam
May 23, 2007, 10:30 PM
A website should be started to document the progress of the River North District.

AndresAndujar
May 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
We visited and studied many districts around the country before fully visuallizing the potential for River North. Pearl District in Portland http://explorethepearl.com/ was formerly a railyard. It has been in redevelopment for 10-15 years. Now Portland's best retail is there... Nice density, mid to high rise. Schools still a problem, so family with kids are harder to accomodate. Vancouver is the only city I know of that is building a brand new school in the inner city. Also Cotswald District in Houston, State Thomas in Dallas, Fort Worth, Denver, Philadelphia, San Diego, Chicago, LA, Pasadena, etc.

River North will accomodate future mass transit. Broadway is phase II of the rubber tire train system to be implemented from the Westside Multimodal Facility. The first phase is downtown up Frederisburg, Medical Center to UTSA. Phase II is downtown up Broadway to the airport, 281 to 1604.

This is in addition to the heavy rail plan from the Westside Multimodal (possibly as far south as City South, Tx A&M - to Austin and Roundrock.

The rubber tire train up Frederisburg is scheduled to be completed by 2012.

jaga185
May 28, 2007, 10:45 PM
What is the Rubber Tire Train? I've never heard of it.

Mopacs
May 28, 2007, 10:55 PM
What is the Rubber Tire Train? I've never heard of it.

I'm thinking its a form of BRT...Bus Rapid Transit. I could be wrong?

sakyle04
May 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
^ It is BRT. You can go to VIA's website and they have a little info on it, if I remember correctly.

Google "BRT Eugene" and there are some decent articles and images about how this thing works and looks. Plus, BRT ca eventually become LRT (light rail), since the dedicated bus lanes can be converted to light rail lines. :)

AndresAndujar
May 31, 2007, 1:31 PM
BRT is right. I'll stop calling it rubber tire. Sounds very low tech. Check out the "BRT" system in Bogota.

http://www.transmilenio.gov.co/transmilenio/home_english.htm