PDA

View Full Version : PDX: Randy Gragg Architecture and Planning Lecture on 2/24/07

360Rich
Feb 16, 2007, 4:39 PM
Randy Gragg, architecture critic for the Oregonian newspaper and 2005-06 Harvard University's Graduate School of Design Loeb Fellow, will deliver the Winter 2007 Commonplace Lecture, "Against Nostalgia: The roots of a new direction for architecture and planning in Oregon," on Saturday, February 24, 2007, at 5:00 p.m.

This free public lecture will take place at the historic Temple Beth Israel (1931 NW Flanders St., Portland), which is considered one of the finest examples of Byzantine architecture in the Northwest and designated on the National Register of Historic Places. Free parking will be available in designated lots.

http://www.oregonhum.org/

Maybe a good opportunity for a Portland area forum member meet and greet?

MarkDaMan
Feb 16, 2007, 4:56 PM
^I liked Gragg until he left for the better part of last year to further his studies or something, and than he came back with a haughty and condescending style of writing that I haven't appreciated nearly as much as his early stuff.

PDX City-State
Feb 16, 2007, 6:59 PM
Gragg is very opinated lately, but he cannot fucking write to save his life. His comparisons are tired and trite, and his style without imagination. Brian Libby is our other critic--he's a better writer, but takes really weak stances on things. When Libby does take a stance, he always says something like "Now I have tremendous respect for such-and-such, but...." Grow a sack Brian.

Portland needs a new architecture critic.

Drmyeyes
Feb 16, 2007, 8:45 PM
Gragg's just one guy. I suppose it's nice when a city has a high profile columnist or intellect that kindles a common fondness, but it's a little much to expect that to be a condition of considering whether such a person has something worthwhile to say. A opinion is just that...an opinion, but many people have not studied as much as Gragg, or had the experience of having met the level of influential people in architectue and development that he has, or discussed with them, substantial issues related to those fields.

I think Gragg still has something to say worth listening to. In the past, he's made lots of valuable information available in his newspaper articles and he's helped to stimulate civic improvements downtown. A free lecture? Sounds like a good idea to me.

PDX City-State
Feb 16, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm going to the lecture, and I understand that he's just one guy with an opinion and a copy of Strunk and Whites, but his writing still sucks.

robbobpdx
Feb 17, 2007, 4:37 AM
I agree with both Mark and PDX City-State . . . I liked Randy Gragg's writing AND topics a lot more before he left, and haven't really liked them since he got back. Plus, what's up with his column ending up in the Opinion section. True, it's a column, but ??????

I think either The Oregonian or Gragg or both have lost their way and their perspective on what sort of topics to write about. I wish Randy would come back down to earth. I miss his former communicating with the average guy. Even though I used to make fun of his over-use of the term "trio" for everything, I still would take that anyday over what and how he's been writing lately.

PDX City-State
Feb 20, 2007, 5:47 AM
The Oregonian hasn't hired new talent in years--same old and boring set of folks. It's a shame.

360Rich
Feb 23, 2007, 7:26 PM
Thought I'd give this a bump since the lecture is tomorrow.

I'm going to attend - should be something fun to do for free.