View Full Version : New February Holiday - MB

Shodan
Feb 11, 2007, 8:29 AM
Holiday raises jitters
Business worried about financial impact

Winnipeg Free Press
Saturday, February 10th, 2007

By Mary Agnes Welch

MANITOBA'S new holiday has already piqued the interest of North Dakota's tourism officials, but local hospitals, construction companies and other big operations are wary about the impact on their bottom lines.

The Manitoba government pledged this week to create a February holiday -- a move applauded by thousands of Manitobans demanding a respite from the deep-freeze.

But local business leaders say the holiday carries some unforeseen pitfalls and could cost the economy in lost productivity.

"Not that a holiday isn't a good idea, but it becomes an operational issue and that becomes a financial issue," said Peter Whiteman, executive director of the Construction Labour Relations Association of Manitoba.

"As an individual, who doesn't want a day off in February? It's a crappy month. But for an employer that becomes a premium day -- time-and-a-half or double time."

Whiteman's organization includes most major Manitoba construction firms who band together to negotiate contracts with unionized building trades.

Whiteman also serves on the Labour Management Review Committee (LMRC), the group of big unions and big businesses that advises the province on key issues, such as the recent reform of the employment standards act.

Whiteman said he sent an e-mail out to his members asking how the holiday will affect projects and finances. He expects no shortage of answers.

Labour Minister Nancy Allan was the star of 92 CITI FM's raucous morning show yesterday, where she confirmed the government will create the winter holiday. The government bowed to weeks of pressure -- including a cheeky 92 CITI FM petition signed by over 25,000 Manitobans -- to create the holiday.

But there are still some outstanding questions the government is looking to the LMRC for help in answering.

It's still not clear whether the day will be a genuine statutory holiday, such as Christmas Day and Victoria Day, where all offices and most retail businesses must close.

The other option is allowing stores to open on Sunday hours, much like on Thanksgiving. On those days, it is largely up to employers whether employees must show up to work, though banks, schools, government offices and most large firms shut down.

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business estimates the day off will cost the economy $157 million, though the province has downplayed that figure.

The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, which runs nine hospitals, 39 nursing homes as well as home care and mental health programs, hasn't yet calculated the cost of keeping essential services running on a holiday.

Since many workers are unionized, they'll most certainly be paid a double-time premium for working on the holiday. Calculating the extra cost is something that will likely begin in the weeks to come, said a spokesman.

It's also not clear what the day will be named, or exactly when it will fall.

Whiteman said it's fairly clear to him it should fall on a Friday or Monday instead of a set date that doesn't guarantee workers a long weekend. That's often the case for Canada Day, when July 1 rather unhelpfully falls in the middle of the week.

A guaranteed long weekend would also make it easier for the building trades, since a mid-week break throws the complicated timelines on a construction site out of whack.

"When these big projects get going, they're like a steam engine," said Whiteman. "It's very tough to put the brakes on. When you're pouring concrete, you can't just leave it for a day."

A long weekend would also be a boon to North Dakota's tourism industry, which is fairly quiet in mid-winter.

"If a new holiday is offered, we'll certainly try to encourage our Canadian friends to come down to North Dakota," said Kim Schmidt, director of public affairs for the state tourism office.

EDITORIAL: REASON GOES ON HOLIDAY A18

Tories start contest

THE Manitoba Tories have jumped on the winter holiday bandwagon and launched a "name that day" contest.

They say the holiday should be set as the second Monday in February, and they're asking Manitobans to suggest names for the day.

E-mail entries to namethatholiday@pcmanitoba.com by Feb. 16.

Five ideas will be chosen and then put to an online vote.
© 2007 Winnipeg Free Press. All Rights Reserved.

So what do you think this new holiday should be called? Let's hear from all you 'Toban forumers out there! ;)

mersar
Feb 11, 2007, 10:48 AM
From the first province to have a February holiday, welcome aboard :) Now if only BC jumps on the bandwagon the entirety of western Canada will have a February holiday.

As for the name, stick with convention. Both AB and SK call theirs 'Family Day', although ours is the third Monday not the second.

drew
Feb 15, 2007, 2:35 PM

So what do you think this new holiday should be called? Let's hear from all you 'Toban forumers out there! ;)

I was thinking that instead of naming the holiday - they should sell the naming rights each year to a corporate sponser. The highest bidder gets the "MTS Family Day" or the "Great West Life Day", etc.

I seriously doubt anyone really cares what the name of the holiday is, we just care that it is a holiday. So why not make some $$ at the same time?

Chaps
Feb 15, 2007, 2:59 PM
Yeah SK has this already.

My question is...how long until Hallmark gets a hold of this?

I give it a couple years before we're buying cards and small gifts for our families on Family Day...

freeweed
Feb 15, 2007, 3:07 PM
Yeah SK has this already.

My question is...how long until Hallmark gets a hold of this?

I give it a couple years before we're buying cards and small gifts for our families on Family Day...

Rather topical, considering I saw Valentine's cards for your dog the other day. I only wish I was kidding.

Only The Lonely..
Feb 15, 2007, 11:01 PM
No more wholesome family holidays..

We need something fun, and roughneck..that celebrates our town's crusty appearance and social backwardness.

You know, something like getting drunk and chasing the Irish out of town, a giant wife swap, or a dwarf tossing contest at Portage & Main.

http://docs.voxeo.com/images/tutorials/dwarf-tossing.jpg

Just my two cents.

RAFS
Feb 16, 2007, 4:15 AM
"Happy Love Day everyone!" - Marge Simpson

SHOFEAR
Feb 16, 2007, 4:52 AM
http://docs.voxeo.com/images/tutorials/dwarf-tossing.jpg

bwhahahahahahahah. If Winnipeg gets a dwarf throwing contest i'm there.

freeweed
Feb 16, 2007, 6:09 AM
No more wholesome family holidays..

We need something fun, and roughneck..that celebrates our town's crusty appearance and social backwardness.

Be careful what you wish for. Calgary has its Stampede, and as a result, much of the country STILL thinks we all drive pickups, wear cowboy hats every day, and herd cattle in the evenings.

More seriously, I'm actually surprised that Winnipeg (and hell, Manitoba in general) hasn't already used Festival du Voyageur as the excuse for a February holiday. It's the right timeframe, it's very unique to the area, and it certainly celebrates a huge chunk of local history. I guess many would view it as catering to the Francophone community or something...

Only The Lonely..
Feb 16, 2007, 7:12 AM
bwhahahahahahahah. If Winnipeg gets a dwarf throwing contest i'm there.

Dwarf throwing is the last great final frontier of professional sport. We may have lost the Jets, but we could be on the ground floor of something even better.

Brokenhead
Feb 20, 2007, 12:47 AM
Here's the CITI FM website link: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/name_holiday/

A thing that you can put your ideas of what the new holiday should be named.

cslusarc
Feb 20, 2007, 4:46 AM
I support this idea for a mid-Febuary Stat Holiday. I think the holiday should fall on the Monday of the U of Manitoba's/U of Winnipeg's "Reading Week". This is usually this seventh full 5-day business week of the year. This means the holiday would fall in the date interval of Feb. 13-19. If we celebrated the holiday this year, in 2007, it would have fallen on today, Feb. 19th, which happen's to be President's Day in the US.

Brokenhead
Dec 20, 2007, 2:17 AM
I'm not sure when the name was announced, but is Louis Riel Day.

newflyer
Dec 20, 2007, 2:32 AM
Be careful what you wish for. Calgary has its Stampede, and as a result, much of the country STILL thinks we all drive pickups, wear cowboy hats every day, and herd cattle in the evenings.

Yeah .. Calgary is nothing like that. :rolleyes:

Well people don't wear cowboy hats everyday here .. but its certainly not rare to see people wearing them, as long as its not cold. City embasadors even great tourists at the airport wearing white cowboy hats and red vests.

Big pickup trucks are about as common as Civics and Corrolas combined times 10.

Herding cattle is not a city activity... but Calgary is definatly, huge pickup driving, a bull riding, tractor pull kind of town. Its not an insult.. just a fact.

Some suggest it is embracing its heritage.... while Winnipeg's roots are from trading posts, but Winnipeg's roots in the past 130 years has been more urban in nature.... rail lines and imagration of settlers.

Dalreg
Dec 20, 2007, 8:34 AM
Good to see the province joining the rest of the prairies. Alberta and Saskatchewan already have a long weekend in Feb.

harls
Dec 20, 2007, 4:14 PM
Well people don't wear cowboy hats everyday here .. but its certainly not rare to see people wearing them, as long as its not cold. City embasadors even great tourists at the airport wearing white cowboy hats and red vests.

That probably doesn't help with the stereotype.

newflyer
Dec 22, 2007, 1:58 PM
They should give the holiday a very realistic nickname... Grand Forks Day.

vid
Dec 23, 2007, 6:00 AM
You can call it "Lets exclude singles and homosexuals even more Day" :) "Midget Tossing Day" would be a close second.

dennis
Dec 23, 2007, 4:22 PM
How could you say something like that. That is a very discriminatory comment, since I am single... :)
A generic name such as the provincial holiday (similar to the civic holiday in august) would be a better name imo.

1ajs
Dec 23, 2007, 8:46 PM
how about: manditory sleep in day

youngregina
Dec 24, 2007, 7:21 AM
:previous: I like that. :haha:

vid
Dec 24, 2007, 5:44 PM
how about: manditory sleep in day

But Adrian, what about the unemployed?? (Of which there are many, of course -- the NDP holds government!!)

Every day is mandatory sleep-in day for us!

1ajs
Dec 24, 2007, 6:28 PM
But Adrian, what about the unemployed?? (Of which there are many, of course -- the NDP holds government!!)

Every day is mandatory sleep-in day for us!

yea but vid you live in north west onterio... where the gehto of a forest industry is almost dead time to move to winnipeg and get a job or even better sign up for an aprentership in a trade and get paid to go to school!

vid
Dec 24, 2007, 7:11 PM
Getting a trade sounds good, then I'll be able to move to Alberta! :P