Voter turnout
Who will you like to see win
What does it mean for Manitoba
Election Promises

Three main parties:

NDP: Gary Doer
PC: Hugh McFadyen
Liberals: Jon Gerrard

The plan is to keep this thread updated when news comes out.

Greco Roman
Feb 10, 2007, 5:49 PM
I'm pretty sure we all know what the final results of this election will be; yet another four more years of a majority NDP government; yay :rolleyes:

rgalston
Feb 10, 2007, 6:05 PM
Hugh McFayden will give the NDP another term.

Greco Roman
Feb 10, 2007, 6:09 PM
I think the real question is this:

Is there anyone out there who gives enough of a rat's ass to step up to the plate and make some bold decisions that will take this province into a better economic state with some vision and guidance? And if so, who is he/she and how do we get them to run?

Only The Lonely..
Feb 10, 2007, 6:20 PM
Nope, Doer is going to rule us like a king until the rest of the city is as boarded up and desolate as the North End.

I didn't think this was actually possible, but Hugh McFadyen is even less well known than Stuart Murray.

Last one to leave, remember to turn off the lights.

Brokenhead
Feb 10, 2007, 6:21 PM
I wish McFadyn had a more polictial influence. His ideas also combines with Gary Doer's a far amount.

If Gary Doer wins this election, I think he'll be the first NDP to win three elections in a row, if I got my facts right.

We need a leader with big visions, who can bring Manitoba up. Not a leader who is influenced by money, even though money is a big role in everything. Without money, no promises.

Only The Lonely..
Feb 10, 2007, 6:28 PM
I wish McFadyn had a more polictial influence. His ideas also combines with Gary Doer's a far amount.

If Gary Doer wins this election, I think he'll be the first NDP to win three elections in a row, if I got my facts right.

We need a leader with big visions, who can bring Manitoba up. Not a leader who is influenced by money, even though money is a big role in everything. Without money, no promises.

This comes back to the issue of the miniscule salary the premier gets paid. We have some of the lowest paid politicians in the country, and you know what? We get exactly what we're willing to pay for.

Some bargain, we're the only "have-not" province in the west, and we live in a city that has slipped from third largest to tenth over the course of a century.

DLLB
Feb 10, 2007, 6:31 PM
Hmmm vision and Doer, now that is an oxymoron

vid
Feb 10, 2007, 6:36 PM
Yeah, so is "Klein" and "sober"!

Or "McGuinty" and "Intelligent"

For the love of god, don't elect the liberals. They'll make a law that elections are only every five years and you'll be stuck with them forever :yuck:

Boris2k7
Feb 10, 2007, 7:16 PM
Green. Greeeeeeeen! :wizard:

1ajs
Feb 10, 2007, 7:45 PM
Green. Greeeeeeeen! :wizard:

is there even a povincial green party¿?

doer will win agian the only thing i like about him is the green policies they are taking on............. otherwise were geting fucked up the ass and the other 2 parties arnt offering anything difrent............

now if the ndp would get their head outa their ass regarding the algy problem and lake winnipeg and did somthing productiove about it for once...

but as many of have said you don´t get voted in here you get voted out.......

Boris2k7
Feb 10, 2007, 8:09 PM
is there even a povincial green party¿?

http://greenparty.mb.ca/abo-myt.html

I would think that every province has a Green Party.

Honestly, you have nothing to lose voting Green considering your other choices...

biguc
Feb 10, 2007, 8:11 PM
Nope, Doer is going to rule us like a king until the rest of the city is as boarded up and desolate as the North End.

I didn't think this was actually possible, but Hugh McFadyen is even less well known than Stuart Murray.

Last one to leave, remember to turn off the lights.

Funny, the latest issue of The Economist has an article on Detroit. It notes that there are city councilors in Detroit that don't care if the downtown empties out, just as long as the last person to leave gets union benefits for turning the lights off.

It's strangely relevant to our situation here.

1ajs
Feb 10, 2007, 8:14 PM
http://greenparty.mb.ca/abo-myt.html

I would think that every province has a Green Party.

Honestly, you have nothing to lose voting Green considering your other choices...

i voted green in the fed and civic elections.........

i havent seen anything from the greens provincialy at all...
-----------

txs for the link......... the greens need to get out there more and let it been known they are here.......

News & Events
What's On
GREEN PARTY PLATFORM MEETING
Monday, February 12, 5:30-9pm, members interested in turning our policies into platform materials for tabling or campaigns can participate in a "working" meeting, i.e., bring your laptop if you have one or use one of the office computers. For more information, contact the Policy & Platform Committee.
CONSTITUENCY ASSOCIATION MEETINGS
Visit with your local constituency association; review the schedule to see when we will be holding one in your neighbourhood. Observe the goings-on or join in with your ideas and inspirations.
MEMBER & VOLUNTEER RECEPTION
Sunday, February 18, 2-4pm, we will be holding a welcome reception for new members and volunteers at the GPM office, 202-180 Market Avenue (above the Pantages Theatre). OLD members are also encouraged to attend.

OTHER EVENTS
Feb. 20: David Suzuki at Burton Cummings Theatre
Feb. 24: Seedy Saturday at Assiniboine Park Conservatory
Feb. 27: JUST·ART Showcase Series at the Dandelion Eatery in Winnipeg
Feb. 28: Green Party of Canada will be holding a coffee night in Saint-Boniface, details TBA

vid
Feb 10, 2007, 8:40 PM
Ontario has a green party too, and it's even more obscure. I'd guess maybe 2% of the population is aware of it's existence. I usually support PC but if their policy isn't good I'll probably go green this October.

Boris2k7
Feb 10, 2007, 8:51 PM
Thing is, Green Party is just about everywhere. They are the only Global party that I can think of. After all, every Green Party in the world is linked together by the Global Greens and also through shared sets of principals/values/charters that differ only slightly. The Manitoba Green Party is going to be similar to the Green Party of Canada, the Green Party USA, the Green Party of South Africa, the Green Party of Australia, or perhaps the most successful: Die Grünen (The Green Party of Germany).

feepa
Feb 10, 2007, 9:00 PM
I'm still wondering where this SPP forum is. SSP is a wonderful place and all, but lets take a look at this SPP forum

1ajs
Feb 10, 2007, 9:21 PM
thats what were doing. ^^^^

flatlander
Feb 10, 2007, 9:46 PM
thats what were doing. ^^^^

He's referring to the typo. There are too many typos in the title of our threads. If we don't fix these typos, I am going to start throwing snowballs at little old ladies. If you like little old ladies, please fix these typos. Please. For their sake.

feepa
Feb 10, 2007, 9:58 PM
He's referring to the typo. There are too many typos in the title of our threads. If we don't fix these typos, I am going to start throwing snowballs at little old ladies. If you like little old ladies, please fix these typos. Please. For their sake.

One begins to wonder about the education system in Manitoba...

Greco Roman
Feb 10, 2007, 10:20 PM
One begins to wonder about the education system in Manitoba...

There. You've made your low-blow judgement on all Manitoban's. Feel better now?

Brokenhead
Feb 10, 2007, 11:12 PM
***UPDATE***

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2007

EDITORIALS / PAGE A18

(On the left side of the paper)

Reasons goes on holiday
Writer ?

Premier Gary Doer jumped the gun by declaring that Manitoba would follow Saskatchewan’s lead and declare a February holiday.
The idea might have merit, it might be good for Manitobans and their economy – or not. Who knows? Certainly not Premier Doer who abandoned even a promised consultation process in a mad, election-year dash to get ahead of the parade – in particular the parade of leaders on the opposition side. In so doing he might have made some easy friends, but he outraged the business community, which rightly charges he acted in bad faith by breaking a promise to consult.
Study and consultation were the right things to do, the responsible things to do – the things that would have shown that Mr. Doer, better than holiday-happy Tory Leader Hugh Fadyen, appreciates the importance of business in a manufacturing province that is struggling to keep up. He could have honoured, as Liberal Leader Jon Gerrad has not, the pact business and labour reached to give significant time-off concessions to labour, but not a February holiday. He could have defended the integrity of the labour-business agreement from the understandable but capricious demands on Manitobans suffering through a cold snap. He could, as his government had promised 24 hours earlier, have began negotiations and allowed the holiday fever cool down as weather warmed up.
But the head of government for all Manitobans also is a leader of a political party. As such, Mr. Doer is frantically juggling possible election dates, desperately seeking the one most advantageous to continue to be premier despite a record of mediocrity on crucial files like the economic health of the province. The possibility that the most portentous date might come sooner than later obviously turned his head, as did the calculation that business would not be happy even talking about more holidays. So what did he have to lose by acting in bad faith other than his credibility?
And so Manitoba, which already depends on federal handouts to pay 37 per cent of it’s bills, a proportion that has increased steadily under Mr. Doer’s leadership, will get a holiday at a cost to the economy of perhaps $155 million – no one really knows, there was no time to work out the cost in the frenzy. Investors who might be looking at Manitoba despite its high taxes, its shrinking labour force, its Quixote policies and dependence, must now also consider a shorter work year and a government that will overnight sell business out for a few votes.
And so business gets shoddy treatment from Mr. Doer, but so, too, does every Manitoban who expects their premier to act responsibly, to look beyond the moment and to weigh more than his personal ambitions in deciding what’s best for a province that’s keeps slipping further and further back in the pack.
As premier, Mr. Doer remains a good, public-sector union negotiator – he leaves nothing on the table, even when cupboard is bare. Manitobans deserve better from their premier.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

WINNIPEG SUN
FEBRUARY 10, 2007

Screws can turn easier if an election looms

By TOM BRODBECK

Now that was a quick turnaround.

I told you Tuesday the Doer government would stand up sometime in the next 90 days and announce a new statutory holiday for Manitoba in February.

It was an easy prediction, knowing we're going into an election and that Premier Gary Doer's two main opponents -- Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen and Liberal boss Jon Gerrard -- were solidly behind the proposed holiday.

However, we didn't have to wait 90 days, or even 90 hours.

Two days after my prediction the Doer government confirmed the holiday.

And all of this is thanks to the folks at 92 CITI FM, who spearheaded the campaign and drove it to its logical conclusion.

Kudos to them.

The moral of the story is if you want something done at the government level, do it during the weeks and months leading up to an election and get the opposition parties on board first.

There's no time like election time to get politicians off their duffs.

If this were a year ago or even a year from now, it's doubtful we would be talking about a new holiday in February for Manitobans.

Chalk this one up to the power of the ballot box.

---

Seems some New Democrats didn't like my reference to Gary Doer's lieutenants as "monkeys" this past week.

I wrote that Doer or one of his monkeys would announce a new stat holiday for Manitoba within the next 90 days.

Some folks thought that was a disrespectful way to refer to any elected official. They even want me to apologize.

Those same New Democrats may want to check the language of their own boss, Gary Doer, before they start calling the kettle black.

Doer referred to Hugh McFadyen as a "monkey" just last week at the NDP annual convention (I believe he also called Tories "knuckle-draggers," just for the name-calling record). Oops.

In fact, it's not the first time Doer has referred to elected officials as monkeys.

While he was opposition leader, he regularly referred to former premier Gary Filmon's cabinet ministers as monkeys.

After Filmon shuffled his cabinet, Doer would complain that Filmon is still the organ grinder and that he just shuffled his monkeys around. I was just stealing a line out of Doer's own playbook.

I'll make a deal with the aggrieved New Democrats out there. You get your boss Gary Doer to apologize to Filmon's former cabinet ministers and to McFadyen for calling them monkeys, and I'll apologize for calling Doer's lieutenants monkeys.

Deal?

---

Downtown Winnipeg will be crawling with some 2,000 new Manitoba Hydro employees when the Crown corporation moves into its new digs on Portage Avenue sometime during the next year. It's going to be great for downtown.

But it won't come without a price for ratepayers.

Turns out, Manitobans are going to have to subsidize the cost of parking for these 2,000 employees to the tune of more than $1 million a year.

Hydro officials have confirmed each employee will be eligible for a new transportation subsidy of about $53 a month, or $636 a year.

They can put it toward their parking costs or use it to subsidize a bus pass.

That's a cost to ratepayers of nearly $1.3 million a year.

The deal is written in stone, too.

Hydro employees negotiated it into their collective agreement.

Can a similar deal for all other provincial government employees who work downtown -- including Manitoba Public Insurance staff -- be far behind?

By the way, I believe Hydro has filed for another rate increase this year.

-----------------------

I'm still wondering where this SPP forum is. SSP is a wonderful place and all, but lets take a look at this SPP forum

Everyone makes mistakes. No reason to be sarcastic it. Makes you look immature, since you clearly knew what I meant.

This is a thread about "Politics" not "Spelling" or "Grammer."

If you have things to say about the spelling errors, keep it to yourself. Thank you.

feepa
Feb 11, 2007, 1:42 AM
This is a thread about "Politics" not "Spelling" or "Grammer."

I hope the political party that wins the up and coming election invests some serious dough into Education so grammer can learn some grammar.

Xelebes
Feb 11, 2007, 3:35 AM
Stop making fun of Winnipegese.

Brokenhead
Feb 11, 2007, 4:33 AM
I hope the political party that wins the up and coming election invests some serious dough into Education so grammer can learn some grammar.

I beleive Manitoba spends a fare portion of the GDP on education.

I just make one typo, and you presume every Manitoban is bad at spelling. 1ajs is the one who makes the most typos, and he also started a lot of threads. So talk to him. (Sorry 1ajs, were cool :cheers: )

So, feepa. Why are you even in a thread about the coming Manitoba election making fun of spelling when you live in Edmonton? If you want to say something, just send me a private message, instead of posting it on here.

-----------------------------

For who was also was wondering "forumers" isn't a word that shows up in most dictionaries, but is a word commonly used in forums.

Greco Roman
Feb 11, 2007, 5:48 AM
So, feepa. Why are you even in a thread about the coming Manitoba election making fun of spelling when you live in Edmonton? If you want to say something, just send me a private message, instead of posting it on here.

It's not the first time someone has been Chastised for a spelling mistake, and unfortunately it won't be the last :( That's just the way some people are around here.

Brokenhead
Feb 11, 2007, 5:49 AM
Who thinks a party should make a promise of adopting Manitoba a new flag?

http://makepeace.ca/on/images/ca-mb.gif http://makepeace.ca/on/images/ca-on.gif

Manitoba to left, Ontario to right. Hard to tell when small, or at a far distance.

Also Manitoba's and Ontario's were voted the worst flags of Canada and the United States by some flag committee.

vid
Feb 11, 2007, 8:14 AM
But they're great flags! Mantario is the only clusterfuck that still has the red ensign!

"It's not the first time someone has been Chastised for a spelling mistake, and unfortunately it won't be the last That's just the way some people are around here."

Ignore Feepa. He just does that to bug people. He is frustrated with Edmonton's being overshadowed by Calgary and having a high murder rate and a giant useless mall.

Besides, going by his logic, one would have to assume that everyone in Northern Ontario is completely literate and almost never makes an err in spelling or grammar. :)

Brokenhead
Feb 11, 2007, 4:56 PM
But they're great flags! Mantario is the only clusterfuck that still has the red ensign!

"It's not the first time someone has been Chastised for a spelling mistake, and unfortunately it won't be the last That's just the way some people are around here."

Ignore Feepa. He just does that to bug people. He is frustrated with Edmonton's being overshadowed by Calgary and having a high murder rate and a giant useless mall.

Besides, going by his logic, one would have to assume that everyone in Northern Ontario is completely literate and almost never makes an err in spelling or grammar. :)

All it comes down to is how people see the flags. For example I see our flag and Ontario's as boring and unattractive. While you you seem to like the red ensign. It's just peoples views.

Thanks for the support about the spelling.

e909
Feb 11, 2007, 5:10 PM
The NDP are that likely to win? What are the main policies of the PC Manitoba party?

vid
Feb 11, 2007, 10:03 PM
Actually I don't really like the Red Ensign, it is boring, but I was just trying to point out that it isn't that common as you think, and it kind of hints at the past between Manitoba and Ontario.

I think TBays flag, slightly modified, would make a great provincial flag.

http://www.tbsource.com/SuperNova/Content/Images/293410150.jpg.jpg

Isn't it purdy? :)

Andy6
Feb 11, 2007, 10:15 PM
Actually I don't really like the Red Ensign, it is boring, but I was just trying to point out that it isn't that common as you think, and it kind of hints at the past between Manitoba and Ontario.

I think TBays flag, slightly modified, would make a great provincial flag.

http://www.tbsource.com/SuperNova/Content/Images/293410150.jpg.jpg

Isn't it purdy? :)

whose mom sewed that one up?

vid
Feb 11, 2007, 10:31 PM
It was actually a 60 year old guy that came up with the design, just after amalgamation. :)

The gold represents mineral wealth, the green represents natural beauty, blue represents the lake and the maple leaf represents Canada. :) It's very clever!

1ajs
Feb 11, 2007, 11:41 PM

Manitoba to left, Ontario to right. Hard to tell when small, or at a far distance.

Also Manitoba's and Ontario's were voted the worst flags of Canada and the United States by some flag committee.

¿awww whats wrong with our flag? i can see the difrence between the flags......

1ajs
Feb 11, 2007, 11:46 PM
The NDP are that likely to win? What are the main policies of the PC Manitoba party?

They´re all a joke so your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don´t....... :sly:

Brokenhead
Feb 12, 2007, 3:37 AM

It combines into NDP's policies a lot. Aren't really sure what they, maybe, to win ... ? and don't do anything else until the next election.

The Green Party has some interesting policies, but some of them I find off the wall.

newflyer
Feb 12, 2007, 4:35 AM
¿awww whats wrong with our flag? i can see the difrence between the flags......

It would be nice if we had an original flag, but not if it were to be a spirited energy design. That would be a disaster.. and therefore wouldn't want the change at all.

Brokenhead
Feb 13, 2007, 5:31 AM
That's the currently elected seats:

NDP - 35
PC - 20
LIBERAL - 2

*Other partys' don't have any seats.

As you can see, the NDP as a huge majority already. The Liberals are really no threat. But it is possible people would vote differently. Just have to wait to see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Main Partys' Logos (from Wikipedia):

NDP
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Manitobandp.gif

PC
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/MBPClogo.gif

Liberals
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/Manitobaliberalparty.PNG

biguc
Feb 13, 2007, 6:38 PM

hahahahaahahhaah

What an abortion.

newflyer
Feb 13, 2007, 6:40 PM

hahahahaahahhaah

What an abortion.

I agree thats a bad logo ... infact very bad.

newflyer
Feb 13, 2007, 6:46 PM
The NDP's slogan of "Today's NDP" aways makes me laugh... kind of a reminder to ignore there past, as well as the very dated polices.. straight from the 50's I suppose. Too bad the rest of the world has turned there back on such irrelivent, useless and dated idiology.

Yes sir.. today's NDP indeed.

vid
Feb 13, 2007, 6:52 PM
Yes, but it's even worse considering its the best of the three!\

Don't worry, Manitoba. Ontario's are even less inspired!

http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/images/images&downloads/ontario_parties.jpg

Lol, that looks NOTHING like Howard Hampton!

newflyer
Feb 13, 2007, 6:59 PM
Yes, but it's even worse considering its the best of the three!\

Don't worry, Manitoba. Ontario's are even less inspired!

http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/images/images&downloads/ontario_parties.jpg

Lol, that looks NOTHING like Howard Hampton!

Yeah.. I would never have guessed he's a union loving hippie from that picture. :sly:

As well his name is all wrong.. the Hamptons is a home for the successful. His last name should be Alabama or Detroit .. something which better represents him. :haha: :jester:

freeweed
Feb 13, 2007, 7:45 PM
There. You've made your low-blow judgement on all Manitoban's. Feel better now?

Please tell me that was an intentional joke. Please ;)

freeweed
Feb 13, 2007, 7:48 PM

You guys might get a kick out of this:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/541/mintsqb0.jpg

Purchased at the Winnipeg airport last fall. No photoshopping, that's actually the product. The gal at the sales counter told me they'd been selling them for months and I was the first to point this out.

Lyle
Feb 13, 2007, 7:57 PM
The NDP's slogan of "Today's NDP" aways makes me laugh... kind of a reminder to ignore there past, as well as the very dated polices.. straight from the 50's I suppose. Too bad the rest of the world has turned there back on such irrelivent, useless and dated idiology.

Yes sir.. today's NDP indeed.

Actually "today's NDP" sounds much like the "New Labour" of Tony Blair and the intent is probably the same.

As for dated policies, however, the Tories and their R.B. Bennett approach to the future seem to win that contest.

Boris2k7
Feb 13, 2007, 7:58 PM
Hey, at least your party logos aren't like the Communist Party of Alberta's (actual registered party)
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7125/cpaad3.png

circle33
Feb 13, 2007, 8:02 PM
Karl Marx with a dash of Groucho for good measure?

vid
Feb 13, 2007, 8:12 PM
Yeah.. I would never have guessed he's a union loving hippie from that picture. :sly:

Hahaha, you made fun of a politician! :haha:

@Communist Party of Alberta's Logo: :ack:

1ajs
Feb 13, 2007, 9:50 PM
You guys might get a kick out of this:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/541/mintsqb0.jpg

Purchased at the Winnipeg airport last fall. No photoshopping, that's actually the product. The gal at the sales counter told me they'd been selling them for months and I was the first to point this out.

WTF!!! what idiots made that mistake!!!!

vid
Feb 13, 2007, 10:05 PM
OH MY GOD!!

ADRIAN USED PUNCTUATION!!! And no spelling errors!!!!

am flabirgastit

newflyer
Feb 13, 2007, 11:34 PM
Actually "today's NDP" sounds much like the "New Labour" of Tony Blair and the intent is probably the same.

So are you saying they are the New New Democratic Party .....

---- or the Newer Democratic Party ?? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

.... either way they are the same old defenders of government waste and anti-business they have always been. ... case in point the Floodway boondogle ... but at least they still have some fans here. :rolleyes:

vid
Feb 14, 2007, 12:39 AM
"case in point the Floodway boondogle"

Really? What's the story behind THAT one, Mr. Smith?

newflyer
Feb 14, 2007, 6:29 AM
"case in point the Floodway boondogle"

Really? What's the story behind THAT one, Mr. Smith?

Are you serious...???

- manditory unionization to work on project
- project is already over budget and its not close to completion
- doer had to cut back on the project to make it seem a little less pathetic
- private non-unionized workers are cut out of the project .. many of whom head out to Alberta where free entreprise is imbrassed.
- shortage of available labour pushes back completion date
- some wiseguys suggest that government offers efficient operation because they don't have any profit driver... LOL

This thing has NDP screwup written all over it... but I am sure you can rationalize it some how right? :sly: The sad fact is this project is going to cost taxpayers a large mint.. all in the name of satisfing the fat unions.

Please don't make me go through the socialist sandwich boondogle? ... :whip:

Honestly picking apart the NDP and the stupidity of those who support them is as easy as shooting dead or at least lathargic fish in a very restrictive barrel.

Xelebes
Feb 14, 2007, 6:44 AM
Can we have a list of these boondoggles, maybe links to save you time in having to type down the details?

newflyer
Feb 14, 2007, 6:48 AM
Here fishy fishy fishy ... BANG!!! :haha:

Lee_Haber8
Feb 14, 2007, 6:49 AM
Manitoba and everything in it will lose

vid
Feb 14, 2007, 9:48 PM
- manditory unionization to work on project

Our hospital was built by contracted private employees, though many were unionised..

- project is already over budget and its not close to completion

It was 450% overbudget, and took 3 years longer to complete... and is already falling apart...

- doer had to cut back on the project to make it seem a little less pathetic

Province had to be forced by the city to help pay for the expenses

- shortage of available labour pushes back completion date

We had the labour we needed for the most part

- some wiseguys suggest that government offers efficient operation because they don't have any profit driver... LOL

some wiseguys suggest that private contractors offer efficient operation because they have a profit driver... LOL

It can go both ways. :) Since it was finished, several people have fallen off of faulty stairs, and part of the facade is crumbling.

Kevin_foster
Feb 14, 2007, 9:58 PM
Yikes - don't elect NDP.

I need not explain myself. How is doom treating you anyways?

good_dude
Feb 14, 2007, 10:34 PM
Stop making fun of Winnipegese.

I knew it was a matter of time before 1ajs's spelling and grammar affected the reputation of all of Winnipeg. BTW, "Winnipegese" is a cute word but not a real one. hmmm.....:sly:

Brokenhead
Feb 15, 2007, 2:10 AM
Anyway, my perspectives on:

The Election Date (when ever announced)
- would like to see it in June
Voter turnout
- oh, let say 65 - 75 %
- The PC's
- Hopefully, no NDP for another 4 years. A boom for Manitoba.
Election Promises
- So and so ...

Greco Roman
Feb 15, 2007, 2:17 AM

- would like to see it in June
Voter turnout
- oh, let say 65 - 75 %
- The PC's
Election Promises
- So and so ...

If only dreams came true.......................;)

Only The Lonely..
Feb 15, 2007, 2:17 AM

- in June

Maybe..

Voter turnout
- oh, let say 65 - 75 %

Try 40%

- The PC's

I dunno, these days the PC party is even more uninspiring than the NDP. Can anyone actually name a single PC initiative?

20,000 fewer people, a couple more empty buildings and your choice of Borsht or Rassolnik at the NDP victory party.

Brokenhead
Feb 15, 2007, 2:21 AM
:haha: By the way, I was being sarcastic :haha:

But, actually my riding is an PC in the MLA. One out of the current 20 PC's, out of the 57 seats.

2003 Election results
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/65/Man2003.PNG/457px-Man2003.PNG

Interesting, the Prairies vote for PC. Northen Manitoba and Winnipeg vote for NDP. Interesting enough farmers lost tons of money from the NDP, even though we are the ones who don't want them.

Only The Lonely..
Feb 15, 2007, 2:25 AM
At this point, Gary Doer can keep on running and winning until he grows bored of being premier.

I'm thinking he's going to be a five term premier.

There's just no competition at all.

Only The Lonely..
Feb 15, 2007, 2:29 AM
:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/65/Man2003.PNG/457px-Man2003.PNG

Looks like all of Winnipeg has gone to shit in that picture..

Greco Roman
Feb 15, 2007, 2:54 AM
Looks like all of Winnipeg has gone to shit in that picture..

:haha: :haha: :haha: That was funny dude.

The Jabroni
Feb 15, 2007, 3:06 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: That was funny dude.

Yes it is funny, because it's true...unfortunately. :(

vid
Feb 15, 2007, 3:24 AM
If PCers want their party to win, why don't they get off their asses and force their party to have more initiative?

BTW- LOL at Manitoba Liberals. :)

Brokenhead
Feb 15, 2007, 5:05 AM
Being playing with logos lately.

Made one I think that will be better for the NDP, even though the symbols I put on them don't mean anything to us at all.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1755/logotemplatehowtorr4.jpg

NDP: FOR LIFE :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, no news about the election in the past few days I came across.

vid
Feb 15, 2007, 9:04 AM
You forgot the hammer and sickle! :D

Brokenhead
Feb 17, 2007, 12:09 AM
I most ridings the voter turnout is about 50-60% according to Wikipedia in 2003.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitoba_general_election,_2003

To think if more people would vote, how different election results can be. My thought, if you don't vote, you can't complain.

Apparently, in Australia it's the law to vote in elections.

vid
Feb 17, 2007, 3:05 AM
And most of those people that aren't voting are low income, poor families that don't bother voting. Most of them - left wingers.

The government would be much more left wing it more low income people voted.

Xelebes
Feb 17, 2007, 3:45 AM
I knew it was a matter of time before 1ajs's spelling and grammar affected the reputation of all of Winnipeg. BTW, "Winnipegese" is a cute word but not a real one. hmmm.....:sly:

Ok, how about Ouinipequaisse?

Greco Roman
Feb 17, 2007, 3:49 AM
Ok, how about Ouinipequaisse?

Don't feel bad Winnipeg; there is still some Edmontonese that I am still trying to figure out, which is pissing the shit out of me! :cool:

Xelebes
Feb 17, 2007, 3:56 AM
Ok, how about Önpekisch? Йннипекска?

Greco Roman
Feb 17, 2007, 3:58 AM
Douge finou!

If I was fully bilingual in Ukranian, and knew how to impliment the slavic letters on my keyboard, we would be having a great discussion right now. :cool:

I'm am a proud Ukranian Canadian that is fully bilingual in french, lol!

Xelebes
Feb 17, 2007, 4:02 AM
I'm not nearly bilingual in Ukrainian. My German is much better - but that is not even saying much. All I pretty much know is a the possessive form of nouns (ka), a handful of words (dobro = good :) ) and memorised the Ukrainian alphabet - it's like Danish compared to English when comparing Ukrainian against Russian.

newflyer
Feb 17, 2007, 4:03 AM
Douge finou!

If I was fully bilingual in Ukranian, and knew how to impliment the slavic letters on my keyboard, we would be having a great discussion right now. :cool:

I'm am a proud Ukranian Canadian that is fully bilingual in french, lol!

Wouldn't that mean you are trilingual.. not bilingual ?

Greco Roman
Feb 17, 2007, 4:05 AM
Wouldn't that mean you are trilingual.. not bilingual ?

Yes, as how I am not trilingual, only bilingual, but with the intentions of becoming trilingual one day! :)

Xelebes
Feb 17, 2007, 4:11 AM
I'm kind of torn between Ukrainian and Welsh.

When my grandmother came from Wales she did not speak a lick of English. With her, she and her family brought a couple books written entirely in Welsh - one including a hymnal written in Cymraig and plainsong. So I have been looking into it, with some attempt at trying to pry at Old English. Since she came to Canada when she was 6 years old, she remembers not a lick of Welsh.

It's fun.

I've also been plodding around with Ukrainian because I've also been thinking of going to the Ukraine to look up a mystery in the family tree.

Greco Roman
Feb 17, 2007, 4:15 AM
Among Ukranian, I am also English, Polish, Italian and Greek. I am a mute through and through. But was raised in the Ukie backgroundk; hence my affinity for learning the language. :)

Xelebes
Feb 17, 2007, 4:20 AM
I can beat that.

I am a Rutho-Picto-Cumbro-Hiberno-Anglo-Swabo-Saxon. :)

Greco Roman
Feb 17, 2007, 4:22 AM
I can beat that.

I am a Rutho-Picto-Cumbro-Hiberno-Anglo-Swabo-Saxon. :)

Hey! Nothing wrong with that!

The way I see it, a true Canadian is a mutt anyways! :D

Brokenhead
Feb 17, 2007, 5:12 AM
WOW! This really want off topic.

Well, politics is kinda boring when your not blaming them for everything.

Hopefully there will be more news soon.

Only The Lonely..
Feb 17, 2007, 5:16 AM
:goodnight: :deadthread:

Brokenhead
Feb 21, 2007, 11:12 PM
The federal budget is set for March 19.

Likely more news about the election will come.

newflyer
Feb 22, 2007, 12:09 AM
The federal budget is set for March 19.

Likely more news about the election will come.

Tax cuts are in the air ... :whisper:

:D :coolugh:

vid
Feb 22, 2007, 12:34 AM
Yay! Tax Cuts! Our problems are solved!!

Poverty is over!!! Pollution is gone!! Global warming has ceased!!! Health care is fast and efficient!! God bless the Conservatives! God bless tax cuts!!

I'm bullshitting, of course. A tax cut will have zero impact on my life right now..

newflyer
Feb 22, 2007, 2:47 AM
Yay! Tax Cuts! Our problems are solved!!

Poverty is over!!! Pollution is gone!! Global warming has ceased!!! Health care is fast and efficient!! God bless the Conservatives! God bless tax cuts!!

I'm bullshitting, of course. A tax cut will have zero impact on my life right now..

Increased investment in the economy will pay off .. even for you. :omg:

Investment leads to a higher national GDP ... further local and national advancement in technologies which can help reduce pollution and improve medical procedures .. more jobs and higher wages.

... or we can all buy into the NDP sollution ... keep taxes high and do nothing. ... Yeah thats great!!! :rolleyes:

If you want to make medicare fast and efficient .. socialism is not the way either.. or have you ignored the current state of medicare.

The Jabroni
Feb 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
You know, f**k it. The NDP can't do anything, and the PC wants to do a different thing, but with the same ideas of the NDP.

I'm voting Liberal on this one. Shift the balance of power to those guys for crissakes!!!

Screw all of those guys! ALL OF THEM!!! :gaah:

vid
Feb 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
Vote for the green party. They're different. And only at Canadian Tire!

Greco Roman
Feb 22, 2007, 10:47 PM
Maybe a population transplant of politicians will provide some fresh ideas for the province. :cool:

Well, nothing else has worked so far....................................

newflyer
Feb 23, 2007, 3:36 AM
You know, f**k it. The NDP can't do anything, and the PC wants to do a different thing, but with the same ideas of the NDP.

I'm voting Liberal on this one. Shift the balance of power to those guys for crissakes!!!

Screw all of those guys! ALL OF THEM!!! :gaah:

I will continue to support the PC's .. with the hope they will introduce some economic growth stratagies.... but lets face it the Manitoba PC party is not the the most business friendly party. Infact they are very centre on most issues (ie: can't make up there minds).. which doesn't impress me much.. but is also why the Liberals have problems getting seats. The PC's fill the centre .. now Manitoba needs a right of centre party that wants to focus on building the economy, while also considering the need to rebuild Winnipeg's innercity. Winnipeg is the economic engine of the province and needs to be fostered back into a national centre of business. Until Manitoba takes the bull by the horns and drives for a stronger future it will be stuck in a slow process of unfulfilled potencial.

The Jabroni
Feb 23, 2007, 4:52 AM
I will continue to support the PC's .. with the hope they will introduce some economic growth stratagies.... but lets face it the Manitoba PC party is not the the most business friendly party. Infact they are very centre on most issues (ie: can't make up there minds).. which doesn't impress me much.. but is also why the Liberals have problems getting seats. The PC's fill the centre .. now Manitoba needs a right of centre party that wants to focus on building the economy, while also considering the need to rebuild Winnipeg's innercity. Winnipeg is the economic engine of the province and needs to be fostered back into a national centre of business. Until Manitoba takes the bull by the horns and drives for a stronger future it will be stuck in a slow process of unfulfilled potencial.

Which comes back to the reason why I'm going to vote Liberal, even though it won't make a difference anyway. Or, "remove" all of the leaders and replace them with more capable people. Then it would be awesome to see an extremely close (but not too close to a point of deadlock) race for the Premier's seat. If that ever happens, then voter turnout should be up around at least 75-80% or higher, at least in part though.

One can only dream though...

As for the Green Party... too fringe for me. They have yet to prove themselves to be an actual, full blown party in my opinion. If and/or when they are more influential with their policies, then I'd probably vote for them instead.

Brokenhead
Feb 23, 2007, 11:09 PM
CJOB News:

Tories would not sell Hydro:McFadyen
FEB 22 2007 08:20 AM

The leader of the province's Opposition Tories is saying again that his party would keep Manitoba Hydro as a publicly owned utility if they win the next election.
Hugh McFadyen was responding to Premier Gary Doer's comments on CJOB yesterday that the Conservatives would sell Hydro.

McFadyen says his party has big plans for the utility.

McFadyen says there must be an election coming up soon, because the Doer government is ramping up the rhetoric.

CJOB's Kacey Wilson reporting

vid
Feb 24, 2007, 7:09 AM
Newflyer supposed the PC Party's policy of anti privatisation!!!!!!

Lookit me! I'm like Ann Coulter and Fox News!! :D

newflyer
Feb 24, 2007, 7:21 AM
Newflyer supposed the PC Party's policy of anti privatisation!!!!!!

Lookit me! I'm like Ann Coulter and Fox News!! :D

As I said I am not overly impressed with the Manitoba PC's .. but every other option is further away from where Manitoba needs to go. Somehow the politicains on Broadway are oblivious to business and the ways to build a strong economy. They are all completely dedicated to the have-not policies which has done wonders thus far. :sly:

Manitoba is a great reason why equalization in its current form doesn't work, as it doesn't encourge the weaker provinces to take responsibilty for building their own economy. Why bother... we can spend like idiots and still get a fat cheque from Ottawa. Its lazy leadership at its worst. :hell:

vid
Feb 24, 2007, 7:33 AM
I agree. Periodic change in government will (should) teach a party that it needs to review it's ways, instead of just throwing the same thing at an issue hoping it will miraculously work at some point and cure everything.

Amazingly, Ontario's Liberals were able to fuck up that much in just one term!

Brokenhead
Feb 25, 2007, 3:00 AM
New documents further implicate Man. gov't in venture fund's demise: Liberals

Published: Friday, February 23, 2007 | 11:48 PM ET

Canadian Press: STEVE LAMBERT

WINNIPEG (CP) - The Manitoba government was warned in 2000 that the Crocus Investment fund was facing financial trouble and a potential "liquidity crisis," newly-released documents show.

The labour-sponsored venture fund, which was set up by the government in 1992, went into receivership in 2005 after its value plummeted, leaving 34,000 surprised investors hoping to recoup some of their money.

A document, which appears to be a submission to cabinet by NDP Finance Minister Greg Selinger in November 2000, and which bears his signature, raises red flags about the fund's ability to pay the number of people who were expected to redeem their shares in the following years.

The document was released by the province's Liberal party.

"Crocus management advise that they only recently realized the potential for a liquidity crisis," the memo reads.

"They do not expect to be able to sell assets in order to meet redemptions over the next few years."

To address the problem, the fund's operators repeatedly asked for permission to sell more than the regulated limit of $30 million annually in shares - in essence, using money from new investors to pay redemptions of existing investors, instead of using the new money to make new investments.

Liberal Leader Jon Gerrard said Friday the documents show the fund was operating more like a fly-by-night scheme than a sustainable investment.

"This was more like a pyramid scheme," said Gerrard, who obtained the document from an anonymous source.

"The government was warned in 2000 that if they didn't manage this well, people who invested afterward . . . could see their (shares) go down significantly."

The NDP government has already come under fire for failing to properly monitor the fund in a scathing 2005 report from former auditor-general Jon Singleton.

The government missed warning signs the fund was headed for trouble in 2001, Singleton wrote, and failed to monitor whether the fund was following its investment rules properly.

The government also repeatedly allowed Crocus officials to exceed the $30-million annual limit on sales of shares, Singleton's report said, and did not properly monitor how the extra money was invested.

Finance Minister Greg Selinger was unavailable for comment Friday evening, but a spokesman for the minister said the document shows nothing new.

"The fact that government was in discussion with Crocus about potential liquidity challenges is not new or particularly significant information," said Colin Lemoine.

"Liquidity issues have nothing to do with the critical issues of fund valuation and performance that lead to the fund's current situation. The auditor has confirmed that neither fund valuation nor fund performance were the responsibility of government."

But the Liberals argue the document goes beyond what was contained in the auditor's report, because they show cabinet was warned in writing that the fund's "liquidity" - its ability to pay redemptions - was headed for a crisis.

"(Selinger) has to resign as finance minister," said Gerrard, who along with the official opposition Progressive Conservatives, has repeatedly called for an inquiry into the Crocus fund.

Premier Gary Doer has said an inquiry is not needed because the auditor-general conducted a full examination.

My dad actually lost money in this :hell: