PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

mmmatt
Jun 30, 2011, 11:32 PM
ING Direct to move call centre to Moncton

CBC News

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 12:57 PM AT
Last Updated: Jun 30, 2011 12:57 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/06/30/nb-ing-call-centre-moncton.html

ING Direct is planning to close its call centre in Ottawa and move to Moncton, CBC News had learned.

New Brunswick Premier David Alward is scheduled to make the announcement next week.

Business New Brunswick and Enterprise Greater Moncton have been trying to lure the ING jobs to the province for some time.

The international banking company has decided to move its bilingual call center operation to Moncton, and most of the 130 employees will be offered a chance to relocate.

News reports out of Ottawa say ING has run into difficulty recruiting and keeping qualified people.

The job market in the capital is highly competitive. The minimum hourly wage in Ontario is $10.50 — a dollar more per hour than in New Brunswick.

Alward is expected to explain next week what, if any, incentives were given to ING to relocate. These could include tax breaks, loans or job training assistance - incentives other call centres in the province have received.

The company will start hiring employees next month, but it will take several months to transfer operations from Ottawa to Moncton.

mylesmalley
Jul 1, 2011, 12:18 AM
Interesting piece of news, that one.

I know it's been a long-standing goal to have Moncton play a more active role in the financial services center as a 'back office' location. A call center is a drop in the bucket, but it's a step in the right direction.

MonctonRad
Jul 1, 2011, 12:55 AM
:previous:

Very interesting tidbit of news indeed.

I just happen to be in Ottawa at the moment and this item made the local newscast up here as well.

I hope that reference to the NB minimum wage doesn't mean that these are minimum wage jobs! :(

mmmatt
Jul 1, 2011, 1:01 AM

Very interesting tidbit of news indeed.

I just happen to be in Ottawa at the moment and this item made the local newscast up here as well.

I hope that reference to the NB minimum wage doesn't mean that these are minimum wage jobs! :(

No way...usually financial service call centers are better paid...I know the RBC one here is quite good. Nobody would work at a call center for min. wage...they are usually 3$ more at the minimum low end ones even.

Just probably CBC trying to make up a reason for the switch when they really have no idea.

mmmatt
Jul 1, 2011, 1:02 AM
Great news about the mapleton power centre by the way!! This is great news...if we got all 3 rumored stores that would be amazing! :D

pierremoncton
Jul 1, 2011, 6:16 PM
Regarding cycling lanes again:

Changes have been made to Shediac Rd and residents are (as expected) freaking out, and the T&T seems to have a penchant against them as well.

Some bits from a FAQ from the city:

Source: http://www.moncton.ca/Residents/Recreation_Parks_and_Culture/Active_Living/Active_Transportation/Frequently_Asked_Questions/FAQ_-_Salisbury___Shediac_roads.htm

4. Won’t creating a centre turning lane cause more accidents, and increase the likelihood of accidents with cyclists?
A common centre left turn lane is safer than the existing four-lane configurations on both Shediac and Salisbury roads. Transportation Association of Canada studies show that going from a four-lane road to a three-lane road, with a common centre-left turning lane, will reduce collisions by 25 per cent. [...]

5. Why was a multipurpose trail on Shediac Rd. and Salisbury Rd. not considered?
The cost of expropriation, relocating hydro poles and removing trees would be significant. In addition, the amount of driveways on both streets would not make it conducive to a multi-purpose trail. Cyclists travel at higher speeds than pedestrians, and a motorist exiting a driveway does not expect these faster users from opposite directions.

In order to provide safe separate cycling trails along streets, driveways cannot exist. Providing access to driveways and having a separate cycling path will create unsafe travel and conflicts for cyclists. When you see these trails on streets, driveways do not exist along the cycling path.

My note: This explains why the same suggestion made here wasn't chosen.

6. You are sending cyclists from Shediac Road on Lewisville Road. Lewisville Road is currently unsafe for cyclists.
Construction to upgrade the intersection and Lewisville and Shediac roads will begin this summer. The upgrades to this intersection will make it safer for all users. [...]

7. The causeway traffic circle is problematic for both cyclists and pedestrians. What is being done to rectify this?
The City is working towards providing a better way for cyclists and pedestrians to cross the traffic circle. Cyclists can continue to use the circle (share the road), but the challenge has always been to get walkers across. As such, the City is proposing to build a pedestrian and cycling bridge next to the current CN Bridge. [...]

BlackYear
Jul 1, 2011, 6:48 PM
No way...usually financial service call centers are better paid...I know the RBC one here is quite good. Nobody would work at a call center for min. wage...they are usually 3$ more at the minimum low end ones even.

Just probably CBC trying to make up a reason for the switch when they really have no idea.

RBC's contact center starting salary wages are $14.00 +, depending on qualifications. They also have a hefty shift premium, bilingual premium and yearly bonus. Add company benefits and company shares option, overtime and holiday time & half, a representative can easily make $18 an hour plus.

Even Rogers offer starting wages at $14.

I can't see ING coming to Moncton and offering anything less than competitive salaries and benefits.

mylesmalley
Jul 2, 2011, 5:40 AM
Something worth pondering, haha

Think tank: Moncton is Canada's most Canadian city

CTV Atlantic
Date: Friday Jul. 1, 2011 10:38 PM ET
The hub of the Maritimes can lay claim to another title this Canada Day: The Canucky-est of all Canadian cities.

Moncton was named the most Canadian of all Canadian cities Friday by The Martin Prosperity Institute (a University of Toronto think-tank).

The institute said they ranked so-called ‘quintessential Canadian metrics' per 100,000 residents, with Moncton coming out on top.

Full article:
http://atlantic.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110701/moncton_canada_20110107/20110701/?hub=AtlanticHome

MonctonRad
Jul 3, 2011, 2:51 AM

Having just returned from Canada Day on Parliament Hill, this news definitely warms the cockles of my heart..... :haha:

I like the criteria they used, bilingualism, maple syrup and Tim Horton's. :tup:

mylesmalley
Jul 3, 2011, 3:59 AM
I laughed out loud when I saw the methodology, too. We had it in the bag as soon as they mentioned Tim's.

MonctonRad
Jul 5, 2011, 1:44 AM
Abridged from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1420720

Peace Centre takes shape
Published Monday July 4th, 2011

New office building attached to historic downtown church expected to be officially opened Sept. 1.
BY ALLISON TOOGOOD
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The windows have arrived, the drywall is up and the concrete flooring is now set in place - albeit being behind schedule by a couple months.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=692895&size=400x0
COLE BURSTON/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Moncton's new Peace Centre is coming together quickly and merging well with the neighboring church, with the opening slated for Sept. 1.

The harsh winter and wet spring may have dampened the timing of the downtown Moncton Community Peace Centre's construction, but hasn't affected the high spirits of those involved with the project.

"We are so excited about it," Heather Jones, the chair of the centre's communications said. "When I take a look at timing, there's no question we're a bit behind but we should have a grand opening the first day of September."

The new centre, centrally located at 22 Church Street in the downtown core, is home to many non-profit organizations from all over Greater Moncton. The Volunteer Centre of Southeastern New Brunswick Region Inc., Central United Church, Family Services Moncton, Inc., Family and Early Childhood Inc., United Way of Greater Moncton and South Eastern New Brunswick Region Inc and the Multicultural Association of the Greater Moncton Area, which is already in operation at the older section, has claimed space at the centre.

When completed, the new centre will house a total of 80,000-square feet of office and community space and include an open-space atrium, an events venue that can be sectioned into separate meeting spaces, a kitchen and catering services.

"Just with the six agencies alone, there will be 200 more people working in the downtown area, and their combined clientele is 27,000 people," says board chair Annette Vautour-MacKay.

They are especially excited for a cooperative daycare coming to cater to the downtown area, and a potential for a medical clinic.

The centre's board works in conjunction with the city and Downtown Moncton Centreville Inc. Anne Poirier Basque, the executive director of Downtown Inc. says that this should spark more renewal around the centre's property.

"It's certainly going to maintain an active population, increase property value and create more vibrancy. We've already looked at upgrading other places around it, including Oak Lane.

She says that another long term goal is to put an artist alley near the Capitol Theatre and connect Oak Lane to Robinson Court.

"It will begin the trend to beautify that end of downtown, that's beneficial for all."

"We all see the immense benefit of having these services in our downtown and the centre will be a growing jewel for our city. It's a great place to serve our citizens and promote peaceable living."

MonctonRad
Jul 5, 2011, 1:49 AM
Abridged from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1420760

Plans for new park bridge under way
Published Monday July 4th, 2011

City seeks tenders for new suspension bridge in Centennial Park
BY ALLISON TOOGOOD
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The city hopes to once again give Centennial Park visitors access to the island in the centre of the park, an area once used for picnics, feeding the ducks and taking in the surrounding natural beauty.

The proposals for a new suspension bridge certainly outdo the old bridge, which was taken down more than two years ago because of disrepair.

The project's budget had originally been approved for last year but it was pushed to 2011.

Robyn Alcorn, a project co-ordinator for the engineering department says that the ultimate goal, if funding allows, is to have the bridge continue over the island, connecting one side of the park to the other.

"We want it to make a total span, to begin from behind the tennis courts and stretch fully across to the upper picnic and playground area, close to the Camp Centennial lodge," she said.

The engineering plans are 95 per cent finished and the department put the project out to tender last week. There was also a pre-bid site meeting Tuesday, where two contractors showed interest, says the supervisor of parks and grounds.

"The bridge rebuilding is a nice upgrade and it will be an attractive feature for the park,"said Dan Hicks. "A suspension bridge is cool, gives you element of surprise and is something different than a typical old bridge."

The plans include a 20X20 centre viewing platform, where one could observe nature with binoculars or where a musician can perform.

Hicks says that by Sept. 30, the crews must have the excavation and cementing done and the steel erected.

"If all goes well, the bridge will probably be done by December and ready for use next season."

Sony500
Jul 5, 2011, 5:43 PM
Heard on the news today, that the new Moncton High will be located on the Royal Oaks site.
I don't understand the logic.
Why would anyone build a high school approx. 1-2 kms from the city limits?

kwajo
Jul 5, 2011, 6:09 PM
Heard on the news today, that the new Moncton High will be located on the Royal Oaks site.
Because our province has never, and will never, understand the concept of an urban core. Moving the high school that far away from downtown is a terrible idea.

mylesmalley
Jul 5, 2011, 6:28 PM
Might as well put it in Shediac next to the new jail for all the good it'll do.

mylesmalley
Jul 5, 2011, 6:38 PM
Actually, it'd probably be better to build it out in Shediac. At least they have the infrastructure now.

MonctonRad
Jul 5, 2011, 6:46 PM

It is as I feared. Essentially, Romspen (the Toronto company behind this ludicrous idea) has made the city and the province an offer they couldn't refuse. They will renovate the old MHS as a mixed commercial/residential/community use centre with no financial risk to the public purse, while at the same time offering lands by Royal Oaks for the new school. I imagine the penny pinchers in the Department of Finance couldn't believe their good fortune!

Of course, our "leaders" would prostitute themselves for such a bargain. How could they not!!

It doesn't matter that this deal runs counter to any arguements about urban densification or stabilizing the downtown core. I hope that city council (at least) understands the implications of this decision.

I betcha that no more than 1% of the student body will be able to walk or bicycle to this new school. :hell:

pierremoncton
Jul 5, 2011, 9:34 PM
I betcha that no more than 1% of the student body will be able to walk or bicycle to this new school. :hell:

Exactly what I was thinking too. It benefits the rich and further disadvantages lower- and middle-class families in central and east Moncton. I have to admit that it's also beneficial for Pine Tree residents, but for the majority of students who live in Moncton proper, it means having to get up earlier, longer rides, less leisure time and more expensive travel (both for bussing and for parents of students enrolled in after-school sports). Kids of low-income families? Tough shit.

Also, it would only seem fair that the province copy the look and feel of that industrial prison on Ryan St; however, I suspect that they'll somehow discover extra funds for this rich neighbourhood.

Are there even sidewalks on Elmwood north of the TCH? Nope. More expenses for the province (city?), or teens walking on the gravel shoulder at lunch where motorists drive at 80 km/h.

The city trying to find a solution for safe cycling on Elmwood? The extra traffic makes it harder.

Then it encourages further sprawl, which I'm no fan of. And a waste of gas for extra travel. And trees torn down to make way for sports fields. It doesn't seem environmentally-friendly to me in any way.

I also assume that it's basically a done deal, but perhaps the province should've considered purchasing the land at Royal Oaks in exchange for the developer building it elsewhere. If they were so adamant about using that land, it was probably worthless to them because they couldn't profit it from it in the first place. Please correct me if I misunderstood something: they get prime downtown land for (I assume) next to nothing AND can profit from their worthless land AND now their surrounding lands at Royal Oaks will increase in value and in interest to home buyers. Who wins?

Perhaps this location would be better if two smaller schools were built instead, the second one being in central Moncton. But I won't have children going there anyway. I can only assume this location won't be very popular with most people.

MonctonRad
Jul 5, 2011, 11:02 PM
Please correct me if I misunderstood something: they get prime downtown land for (I assume) next to nothing AND can profit from their worthless land AND now their surrounding lands at Royal Oaks will increase in value and in interest to home buyers. Who wins?

Bingo!

A backroom deal that benefits Romspen in many ways while saving the provincial Dept. of Finance oodles of dollars.

Of course, somebody has to lose; and this case it would be lower middle class anglophone students from central Moncton and the east end. Nobody much cares about them!

And that students, is how the world works. So endeth the lesson for the day. :yuck: :( :yuck:

David_99
Jul 6, 2011, 12:16 AM
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9554/mhsy.jpg

PURPLE AND WHITE! PURPLE AND WHITE! RICKETY! RACKETY! IT'S ALL RIGHT! SHOUT IT OUT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT! T-A-N-K-V-I-L-L-E! TANKVILLE! Wooooh!

mylesmalley
Jul 6, 2011, 12:32 AM
It could have easily been placed along Shediac Road, or on the land north of the University. Hell, even Mapleton would have been more logical than this.

And yes, expect nothing less than a scaled up Northrop Frye... or god help us, École St. Anne in Fredericton. Pre-fab concrete, clearcut forests, and a ten minute drive to anywhere.

MonctonRad
Jul 6, 2011, 3:05 AM
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9554/mhsy.jpg

PURPLE AND WHITE! PURPLE AND WHITE! RICKETY! RACKETY! IT'S ALL RIGHT! SHOUT IT OUT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT! T-A-N-K-V-I-L-L-E! TANKVILLE! Wooooh!

Nice David, this map clearly shows how ridiculously far out of town "Moncton" High School will be. :yuck:

You raise an interesting point. I don't imagine that they will name the new high school MHS. Tankville High is unlikely, but I would bet you dollars to doughnuts that Romspen has demanded a co-branding clause in their contract stating that the new school will be called Royal Oaks High School. I mean, what better way to market your subdivision and golf course development than to have it on peoples tongues every day.

After all, it's just business.......business decisions always trump common sense or heritage issues! :rolleyes:

MonctonRad
Jul 6, 2011, 11:10 AM
Two random bits of news:

1- The new ING call centre expects to double it's workforce when it moves to Moncton. They expect to employ about 300 people. :)

2- The Bath & Bodyworks store at Champlain Place opens this week. :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 6, 2011, 2:47 PM
Who knows, maybe they have a plan to build another one in the visions lands or off of Ryan. I think metro Moncton could support it.

BlackYear
Jul 6, 2011, 10:12 PM
That map above really paints the picture perfectly. It's makes absolutely no sense what so ever to put a high school in the middle of nowhere. :koko:

Let's look at it from a student's perspective.

- No sidewalks on both sides of the road. That means, the few kids who live within walking distance to the school will not be able to walk safely to and from school between Sept and June. Forget winter time. What about in mid December when the daylight time ends around 4:30ish. Kids staying late after school will have no proper lighted street lights or sidewalks to get home safely.

- No bicycle lanes on both sides of the road. Again, how are kids suppose to bike to school from the Humphrey area? This is about a 5 km trip one way.

- Privileged kids who have the ability to drive themselves to school with their own car and or with the parents car, will congest this stretch of road beyond it's current traffic limits. This 2 lane road is already too busy as it is. Adding any more morning & late afternoon traffic is going to be a nightmare to everyone who lives in this area and beyond.

- Once the kids are at school, where exactly are they suppose to go during lunch breaks? They will all be held hostage within the school property. Nowhere to go. Sure, they can maybe walk over to the Ultramar/Needs, but again, see above sidewalk issue plus the store is still about 1 km away from the proposed school location. And those lucky kids with cars, oh yeah, more heavy traffic to and from the Dairy Queen on lunch breaks. Un-experienced teenagers rushing through traffic during lunch break will certainly cause some unfortunate accidents.

I can go on and on about this kind of stuff, so I'll stop here. I hope District 2 and the city have a plan to address these issues.

MonctonRad
Jul 6, 2011, 10:55 PM
Some Photos of the Moncton Hospital

It's interesting how little time is spent discussing hospitals here on SSP. This is despite the fact that hospitals are frequently amongst the largest employers and biggest buildings in any municipality.

We are blessed with two major regional hospitals in Moncton - The Moncton Hospital and the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Dr. Georges-L. Dumont. Both are teaching centres (although the Dumont has the stronger affiliation with the Universite de Moncton and Universite de Sherbrooke).

I will not deal with the competition (?enemy?) tonight. Instead, I present The Moncton Hospital.

TMH is affiliated with the Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick program at UNBSJ and with the Faculty of Nursing at UNB-Fredericton, which maintains a full fledged campus in the Professional Arts Building adjacent to the hospital. There is also a School of Radiologic Technology at TMH as well, with graduates receiving their degrees from UNBSJ.

The hospital has a long standing residency training program in family medicine (the Northumberland Family Practice Program). This program is two years in length with a total of 12 residents at the hospital at any one time. In addition, we have other specialty medical residents from time to time in programs such as surgery, emergency medicine and internal medicine. Within another year, we will start receiving our first cohort of clinical clerks (3rd & 4th year medical students) from UNBSJ. When that happens, there will probably be about 30 or so medical students and medical residents at TMH at any time. The School of Nursing has an enrollment of nearly 400. The B.Sc. radiography program has an enrollment of 20-24 students, with two of the four years spent on site at TMH (meaning there are about 12 students in the hospital at a time). Throw in the OT, physio and dietetic interns and the health sciences enrollment at the hospital would be over 400 students. (betcha didn't know that) :)

Both the Moncton Hospital and the GDH have about 400 beds. The major specialties at the Moncton Hospital are neurosciences (including neurology, neurosurgery and neurointerventional radiology), orthopedics, traumatology, vascular surgery and peripheral interventional radiology, burn unit, medical oncology, obstetrics and neonatal intensive care. Some of the things we do at the hospital rank with state of the art care equivalent to the best hospitals in North America.

The hospital is a major employer in the city. there are around 200 physicians on the medical staff and the workforce at the hospital is almost 3,000.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/D78B9BBF-orig.jpg
The perspective shows most of the Moncton Hospital. In the foreground is the new Irving Ambulatory Care Centre (mostly hidden by trees). In the middle ground are the South Tower and Parlee Wings of the hospital. To the rear is the Professional Arts Building, which is a medical office building attached to the hospital and also the UNB Moncton campus.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/55583ABA-orig.jpg
This is a closer view of the above, focussing more on the main part of the hospital and the Professional Arts Building.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/98AD0956-orig.jpg
This perspective is from the south end of the hospital campus. The Irving Ambulatory Care Centre is in the foreground and the South Tower is in the background. The Irving Centre not only holds the ACC, but also the new trauma/emergency centre and the new laboratory. Construction was finished last year and cost nearly $50M.

It should be noted that I ignored the back end of the hospital completely in this phototour. The whole hospital complex covers the equivalent of four city blocks......

Final points to ponder:

- Although most people think of the GDH as being the cancer care centre in eastern NB (because of the Leon Richard Radiation Oncology Centre), the medical oncology program at the TMH is larger than at the GDH and the actual size of the oncology service at our hospital is similar to that at the GDH.
- The trauma centre at the Moncton Hospital is the busiest in the province.
- We have the largest neuosciences program in NB and the only neurointerventionist in the province.
- Our orthopedic, vascular surgery and thoracic surgery programs are the largest in NB.
- We do more interventional radiology procedures at TMH than in the rest of the province combined and we provide the only complete call service in interventional radiology.
- We run the provincial bone bank (for transplantation services)
- We have the busiest tissue donor program in the province.
- We have the busiest mammography and breast surgery services in the province. About 30% of all screening mammograms in NB are performed at the Moncton Hospital.

There are other things too, but they slip my mind at present. The TMH is frequently underestimated by it's peers.

All photos are by me and are posted on Photobucket

BlackYear
Jul 6, 2011, 11:39 PM
I know my question can be answered by someone here, so, what exactly are they working on in the back of Gearge Dumont hospital? You can see this very huge steel wall of something from the University blvd. I think it was mentioned on here before.

And speaking of this area, the steal frame work is being worked, if not already completed, on the new building in the field between Vanier and Wheeler blvd. I assume this is the new Medical Lab school or the project talked about several thousand pages back!:banana:

mylesmalley
Jul 7, 2011, 12:48 AM
I had no idea the educational component of TMH was that large. At the same time, I'm a bit surprised to hear there are only 200 physicians! I knew the employee count was several thousand, but I wasn't expecting the percentage of doctors to be that small.

mylesmalley
Jul 7, 2011, 12:59 AM
I was extremely fortunate to get to take a sightseeing flight around Southeastern New Brunswick today. I'm going to put up a full phototour in another thread, but I thought you guys might like to see some of the urban shots in the region!

All photos by me.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/5910194791_99272370aa_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910194791/)
flight_12 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910194791/) by mylesmal (http://www.flickr.com/people/22822409@N04/), on Flickr
Downtown Dieppe, looking south.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6016/5910194479_f89f91dab5_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910194479/)
flight_11 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910194479/) by mylesmal (http://www.flickr.com/people/22822409@N04/), on Flickr
Downtown Moncton - you really get a feel for how much land is open for development, especially along Assomption

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5315/5910194151_7591cb5e2c_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910194151/)
flight_10 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910194151/) by mylesmal (http://www.flickr.com/people/22822409@N04/), on Flickr
U de Moncton - It's amazing how much more filled out campus looks with those new buildings. And the stadium certainly helps...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5272/5910193893_e071702d03_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910193893/)
flight_9 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910193893/) by mylesmal (http://www.flickr.com/people/22822409@N04/), on Flickr
North End - The construction going on up there is unreal.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6060/5910752152_c2eeefa044_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910752152/)
flight_8 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910752152/) by mylesmal (http://www.flickr.com/people/22822409@N04/), on Flickr
"Central Moncton" - roughly centered on the intersection of Killam and Mountain

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6024/5910193309_34c0f1d9d6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910193309/)
flight_7 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910193309/) by mylesmal (http://www.flickr.com/people/22822409@N04/), on Flickr
West Riverview

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5071/5910192761_ef4ecec9b5_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910192761/)
flight_5 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22822409@N04/5910192761/) by mylesmal (http://www.flickr.com/people/22822409@N04/), on Flickr
"New" Dieppe - Evidently Google hasn't updated their maps in a while, because those gaps between developments are really starting to fill in.

MonctonRad
Jul 7, 2011, 3:47 AM

Nice pics Myles, I'm looking forward to the complete phototour! :tup:

re: the number of physicians at TMH, you have to keep in mind there are probably nearly another 200 physician at the GDH. There are some cross-appointments but this means there is in the vicinity of 380-400 MD's in Moncton. There are probably fewer than about 1,200 MD's in the whole province so you can see that Moncton is doing very well in terms of physician manpower. Roughly 1/3rd of all physicians in the province practice in Moncton.

A final point about the Nursing Program at UNB-Moncton. There may be 350-400 students registered at the Moncton campus but the program is four years long and not all students would be on the floors at any one time. In addition, some students might be off in Fredericton at times doing certain courses. That's why the hospital doesn't seem awash in student nurses all the time.

I just feel strongly that the Moncton Hospital tends to be under-estimated in the community. There are very strong clinical and academic programs at the hospital that the community should feel proud of. It truly is a teaching hospital.

curious
Jul 7, 2011, 5:28 PM
Maybe a petition needs to be done. Where is the downtown development committee on this. Downtown is looking worse and worse. On the news the other day it showed Downtown Moncton and all the vacant stores. EYE SORE:yuck:

Because our province has never, and will never, understand the concept of an urban core. Moving the high school that far away from downtown is a terrible idea.

MonctonRad
Jul 8, 2011, 12:49 AM
This picture by Myles says it all about the vast sea of surface parking in downtown Moncton.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6016/5910194479_f89f91dab5_b.jpg

Just imagine the impact on the feel of the core if the new events centre was built behind Assomption Place, between Blue Cross and the new courthouse. That would eliminate acres of surface parking alone! Now imagine if one or two large parking structures were constructed to replace the surface parking and to service the events centre. These could easily be sited to the west of the events centre. If you add in some new condos along Assomption Blvd and perhaps a new hotel with convention facilities and most of the surface parking between Main and Assomption would be gobbled up!

The change to the core rendered by a plan such as this would truly be profound! :yes:

mylesmalley
Jul 8, 2011, 1:26 AM
To add to your point, it would give downtown that extra bit of width and would do an awful lot to dispel that old view that Moncton has a downtown two miles long and one block wide.

It'll never get chosen as the site, unfortunately.

On the other hand, maybe we could build it out at Royal Oaks? I'm sure they'd be wiling to renovate the Coliseum into condos or something :tup:

BlackYear
Jul 8, 2011, 2:11 PM
Thanks Myles Malley for the awesome photos. I'll be sure to come back here in 40 years to compare your pics to the 2051 photos. :tup:

As for the new downtown 10,000 seat arena complex, your wish is my command. :yes:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/downtown.jpg

MonctonRad
Jul 8, 2011, 2:29 PM

It would fit right in! :tup:

What arena is your model based upon?

If the proportions are correct, there certainly is space available for some additional amenities such as retail or restaurants. A direct connection to the Hotel Beausejour could also be considered to allow for some expansion to the convention facilities already extant there.

Now, I'd like to see this photo altered again with a parking garage (or two) and some condos added in along Assomption. :yes:

You should e-mail this to city hall for their perusal! :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 8, 2011, 8:38 PM
Moncton should pass a bylaw that any building that has a parking lot greater than 100 or 200 spots, and is located downtown, needs to build a parking garage. Like the rogers call centre could have a 2 story parking garage, and eliminate half of their surface parking.

They could also put a limit on the footprint of a building compared to its height. That way you wouldn't have 2-3 story buildings with huge footprints. So you basically would not be allowed to build a decent sized building smaller than 2-3 stories.

mylesmalley
Jul 8, 2011, 11:52 PM
It really comes down to placement and density. Granted, i'd prefer the Rogers building to be smaller and taller, but the thing that really drives me nuts is how it's positioned. They plopped a big ugly building in the middle of a huge lot like an asshole power-parking his Honda at the mall. They could have fit two buildings that size with an equally large parking lot on that piece of land if they hadn't put that lawn in. And lets be honest, it's no botanical garden. That strip of grass doesn't make that building, or that part of town any better looking than if they had just paved the whole place.

BlackYear
Jul 8, 2011, 11:54 PM

It would fit right in! :tup:

What arena is your model based upon?

If the proportions are correct, there certainly is space available for some additional amenities such as retail or restaurants. A direct connection to the Hotel Beausejour could also be considered to allow for some expansion to the convention facilities already extant there.

Now, I'd like to see this photo altered again with a parking garage (or two) and some condos added in along Assomption. :yes:

You should e-mail this to city hall for their perusal! :tup:

Model is the Metro Centre in Rockford Illinois. The scale is not exactly correct. It may be 5-10% too small, but it's close enough. I've already calculated that the John Labatt Centre would fit easily in this spot.

The Rockford Metro Centre is another 10,000 seat arena.

I should invest in a graphics tablet for my pc if I'm going to continue doing this stuff.

MonctonRad
Jul 9, 2011, 2:34 AM
Progress on the new Moncton Peace Centre in downtown:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/BF36C5DF-orig.jpg
Photo by me on photobucket

The structure is now fully enclosed and almost all windows are in. It is actually a fairly large building, much deeper than it's street presence suggests.

The design seems uninspiring at present, but I think the appearances of the building will improve once the cladding is added and the atrium connecting the centre to Central United Church is completed.

The underground parking is a nice bonus for this building. The performance space in the Central United Church sanctuary will be a nice addition to the downtown. :tup:

I also like the plans to "connect" the centre via an artistic space in Oak Park to Main Street.

When you think of it, the city will soon have an impressive array of live performance venues in the downtown area
- The Capital and Empress theatres
- Theatre l'Escaouette
- The Moncton Peace Centre
- The refurbished auditorium at the (former) Moncton High School
- McSweeney's Dinner Theatre

MonctonRad
Jul 10, 2011, 3:54 PM
Proposed Municipal Plan for the Town of Riverview

http://www.gmpdc.ca/webcura/files/753.pdf

This makes for interesting reading. They seem to have good ideas. As usual, there is a phobia regarding higher density development in Riverview because they don't want to tamper with the "character" of the community (or enrage the citizenry), but at least they seem to be making provisions for some higher density development in Findlay Park and along Gunningsville Blvd. :yes:

BlackYear
Jul 11, 2011, 2:13 AM
All 4 lanes of Elmwood drive from Morton to Hennessey has been striped and new paving looks ready to go. The new Sobey's has taken shape and there's also another foundation on the lot right behind the tree on the left. Not sure what it is.

Sorry for the weird photo. I was in a rush and had no time to get out of the car.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/sobeyselmwood.jpg

BlackYear
Jul 11, 2011, 2:18 AM
Here's a photo of the building on Main street in Shediac. Between Tim Horton and Pizza Delight. The building is really close to Pizza Delight, maybe about 10' between each other.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/shediac-1.jpg

BlackYear
Jul 11, 2011, 2:20 AM
And here's the current Magnetic Hill U2 set-up as of today.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/hillU2.jpg

JHikka
Jul 11, 2011, 3:19 PM
Here's a photo of the building on Main street in Shediac.

What is this building going to become? Offices?

MonctonRad
Jul 11, 2011, 3:37 PM

@GregHickman - I believe that it is an expansion for the Federal Superannuation Branch which already has an office building in downtown Shediac.

@Budyser - The pad next to the new Sobey's on Elmwood is for a new standalone Lawton's pharmacy.

There will also be an NB Liquor outlet in the new Sobey's plaza, which seems to be the new arrangement between these two corporations. This will be the third joint Sobey's/NBLC in greater Moncton (Main & Vaughan Harvey, Riverview and now Elmwood). The other three Sobey's (Champlain Place, Regis Street and Mountain Road) are older and/or cannot be retrofitted. There is an NBLC on Regis that is in spitting distance of the Sobey's.

This arrangement certainly gives Sobey's a leg up on the three Superstores in town. :yes:

mmmatt
Jul 11, 2011, 11:13 PM
^
In Freddy there is a Superstore/NB Liquor combo on Smythe st and in Amherst there is a Superstore/NSLC... so they do like this type of pairing as well.

And yes the building in Shediac will be the 3rd building for the Pension offices there...If you have ever gone to the Lobster Festival you would have noticed a fairly new 4 floor building (Michael C Leger Building(named for a local lawyer who drives a nice Audi SUV)) which is also belonging to that department. So essentially if you are in Shediac and you happen upon a decent sized office building it is either: Town Hall, A Jail, or a building of SUPERANNUATION. haha

Oh and the reason for this new building? They currently occupy a one floor building across the street from the new one. Due to abundant Mold they have been evacuated from the premises several times...

Delivering to Shediac for the past few months has given me great insight into local affairs haha

Freddypop
Jul 12, 2011, 12:15 AM
^
In Freddy there is a Superstore/NB Liquor combo on Smythe st and in Amherst there is a Superstore/NSLC... so they do like this type of pairing as well.

And yes the building in Shediac will be the 3rd building for the Pension offices there...If you have ever gone to the Lobster Festival you would have noticed a fairly new 4 floor building (Michael C Leger Building(named for a local lawyer who drives a nice Audi SUV)) which is also belonging to that department. So essentially if you are in Shediac and you happen upon a decent sized office building it is either: Town Hall, A Jail, or a building of SUPERANNUATION. haha

Oh and the reason for this new building? They currently occupy a one floor building across the street from the new one. Due to abundant Mold they have been evacuated from the premises several times...

Delivering to Shediac for the past few months has given me great insight into local affairs haha

The Superstore/NB Liquor partnership in Freddy was terminated earlier this year with the opening of NB Liquor's flagship store at the old train station on York Street

David_99
Jul 12, 2011, 1:07 AM
All 4 lanes of Elmwood drive from Morton to Hennessey has been striped and new paving looks ready to go. The new Sobey's has taken shape and there's also another foundation on the lot right behind the tree on the left. Not sure what it is.

Sorry for the weird photo. I was in a rush and had no time to get out of the car.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/sobeyselmwood.jpg

Including the Sobey's, NBLC and Lawton's (behind the tree), this is an admittedly very rough look at what this area might look like very soon.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4835/elmm.jpg

I think I miss the Filles de Jesus building more then ever now...

MonctonRad
Jul 12, 2011, 2:53 AM
Dieppe Blvd. Construction Phototour

As I promised a couple of weeks ago, here is a sample of the new construction on Dieppe Blvd. All pictures taken by me on my IPhone and hosted on Photobucket.

We will start at the north and gradually work south:

Expansion of Irving HQ at the corner of Dieppe Blvd & Champlain:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/46F66589-orig.jpg
This is the Irving HQ building in Moncton and contains the head offices for Midland Transport, Cavendish Farms, Majesta/Royale Tissues and Irving Personal Care

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/977DA019-orig.jpg
This sign shows the new wing being added to the north end of the HQ building

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/1A9D552F-orig.jpg
This shows the state of current construction (July 2011)

Area around Co-op Supermarket at Dieppe Blvd./Rufus St.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/FEC23E12-orig.jpg
This is the new Co-op in Dieppe. I know that this building is a couple of years old, but it will serve as a landmark for the next several projects and I don't think this building has ever been photographed for SSP.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/66CD717D-orig.jpg
Behind the new Co-op, and lying close to the Aquatic Centre is the St.-Germain, an upscale condo development.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/8F3CE2B8-orig.jpg
Across the street, a new retail/commercial building with a Jean Coutu Pharmacy is proposed. Construction has not yet started but the lot has recently been cleared and prepared.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/AE344DD8-orig.jpg
A bit further east on Rufus St. is where the City of Dieppe is building it's new operations centre.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/9E1BEDAD-orig.jpg
Construction of the operations centre is progressing expeditiously

Moving a bit further south on Dieppe Blvd:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/C795FD2A-orig.jpg
A commercial plaza is proposed. The first building (Yet another NBLC) is under construction. If you look carefully at the top right corner of the sign, there are about a half dozen buildings proposed for this development.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/3161D5FD-orig.jpg
This is the new NBLC under construction

There is lots more going on in the Uptown Dieppe area, mostly in terms of new residential subdivision development. This area will be unrecognizable in the next 5-10 years. There are other rumoured developments in this area (including a possible Rona Superstore), but I have seen no evidence of this as of yet.

In any event, Dieppe Blvd is busy, and since it becomes Harrisville Blvd north of Rte.15; and with all of the rumoured developments for Harrisville, this whole area is poised to become the linchpin for growth in the east end of the metropolitan area. :tup:

PS - Nice job with modelling the new Sobeys on Elmwood David!!

mylesmalley
Jul 12, 2011, 10:10 PM
That's one hell of an addition to the Irving building! Obviously it shows a strong confidence in the businesses they have headquartered here.

Being a skyscraper site, I'm obligated to point out that it would make an even more impressive 9-story building downtown :tup:.

JHikka
Jul 12, 2011, 10:25 PM
I'm obligated to point out that it would make an even more impressive 9-story building downtown :tup:.

What's that? My Saint John ears are burning. :haha:

The developments on Dieppe Boulevard really are impressive. I was particularly impressed with the new Co-Op & Irving HQ when driving through.

Has there been any more word on Moncton/Royal Oaks HS yet, in regards to how it's not actually in Moncton?

mmmatt
Jul 12, 2011, 11:57 PM
What's that? My Saint John ears are burning. :haha:

The developments on Dieppe Boulevard really are impressive. I was particularly impressed with the new Co-Op & Irving HQ when driving through.

Has there been any more word on Moncton/Royal Oaks HS yet, in regards to how it's not actually in Moncton?

Saying "its not in Moncton" is a bit of an exaggeration...it technically is within the city boundaries...albeit just barely.

I did a delivery recently at "The Oaks" condo building and the two residents I spoke with were very excited about the development...They said "this will put Royal Oaks on the map"...I was kinda hopin that the NIMBYs would come out in full force and force it downtown haha

mylesmalley
Jul 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
Actually, this is a NIMBY's dream come true. It's in NOBODY'S back yard.

MonctonRad
Jul 13, 2011, 2:54 AM

The thing I find most interesting (sad) about the whole Royal Oaks High School affair is that I distinctly remember a couple of years ago hearing city hall state that they wanted to concentrate future development in the city to the lands south of the TCH.

Instead, we see sprawl along Elmwood in the Royal Oaks area being enabled and encouraged by the placement of a high school in the area. Meanwhile, the Mountain Woods subdivision on Gorge Road across from Crandall University and integrated with the Magnetic Hill Golf Course is also being expanded with the city's blessing.

If this keeps up, a significant fraction of the city's population may soon live north of the TCH.

So much for limiting sprawl! :koko:

MonctonRad
Jul 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
from today's T&T

Dieppe construction booming
Published Wednesday July 13th, 2011

Dieppe is positively bustling with construction activity in 2011 with yet another record month in building projects for the growing city.

Leading the charge is the long-awaited expansion of Empire Theatres in Crystal Palace. The permit issued to Cadillac Fairview is for $5.5 million. There were eight permits issued for commercial construction projects totalling $5.9 million in value.

The city's building department reports 86 permits worth $15,477,384 in construction were issued in June after posting record totals in April and March of this year.

Commercial projects to date this year have accounted for more than 40 per cent of permits making Dieppe a dynamic community, diversified and exhibiting strong growth, says Dieppe's Economic Development Corporation.

On the residential side, the department issued 78 permits in June worth more than $9.5 million for new housing including 72 new multifamily units. The number of multifamily dwellings continue to grow with 206 new units so far this year.

So far this year, the city has issued 303 permits worth $49,325,551 compared to $34,967,592 over the same period in 2010. The commercial sector accounted for more than $20 million of that total.

"Growth on the commercial front is very encouraging with our six-month tally of $20,668,052 compared to $14,400,537 for the entire year of 2010," noted Dieppe Mayor Jean LeBlanc

David_99
Jul 13, 2011, 11:13 PM
This may be old news as I haven't been to this area in a while but the block of Dominion and Gordon is finally getting some work done. I saw a lot of activity there as I was driving by today. Is this project finally getting underway!?

NBNYer
Jul 13, 2011, 11:21 PM
This may be old news as I haven't been to this area in a while but the block of Dominion and Gordon is finally getting some work done. I saw a lot of activity there as I was driving by today. Is this project finally getting underway!?

"activity" meaning heavy equipment moving in?

BlackYear
Jul 14, 2011, 12:53 AM
I think that heavy equipment is for the upgraded sewer system and not for the condo/apartment work. Although, the upgraded sewer system maybe be required before the actual building project goes up.

David_99
Jul 14, 2011, 12:55 AM
"activity" meaning heavy equipment moving in?

From what I could see, many ground working equipment. The hole block looked like the earth had been turned up. I assumed the removal of the old concrete house bases and getting the ground dug and ready for new foundation.

MonctonRad
Jul 14, 2011, 12:56 AM

I've seen the equipment there too but alas, I think it is just related to the road reconstruction and paving currently going on on Dominion Street. :(

Of course, I could be wrong. :banana::banana::banana:

MonctonRad
Jul 16, 2011, 12:41 AM

I think I was wrong.......

I drove by there again this evening and they are definitely digging up the turf on the Dominion Street block. It looks very much like site preparation work!

I think the Robichaud condo project is a go! :tup: :banana::banana::banana:

Also, the foundation is now in for the new CIBC at Hall's Creek on Main, next to the Superstore.

theshark
Jul 16, 2011, 12:53 AM
renders! renders! renders! renders!

MonctonRad
Jul 16, 2011, 2:10 PM
Casino N.B. adds 'cutting-edge' sign
Published Saturday July 16th, 2011

New Vegas-style sign built for Casino Drive
BY LAURA BROWN
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Casino New Brunswick has added some bling to its site.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=695326&size=600x0
Casino New Brunswick has a new 40-foot sign that features a 5x3-metre full-colour LED display. They have built a Vegas-style sign at the corner of Casino Drive and Mountain Road, making the Casino complex hard to miss.

And it's been built by one of the best in the business at catching people's eyes.

The 40-foot sign features a 5x3-metre full-colour LED display and was built by the Young Electric Sign Company (YESCO), who also built the famous Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada sign, the Las Vegas strip landmark everyone recognizes.

The sign is meant to inform passers-by what's happening at the casino and will also be able to show photos and videos.

"It's the finishing touch, sort of the cherry on top, for the casino," said Christine Manore, communications and media relations manager for Casino N.B. "It's really terrific and will be able to showcase all the elements of the casino."

It's a creative touch to the only full-service casino in New Brunswick that was opened just over a year ago. And until now, the casino didn't have a sign at its entrance.

"We have control over what goes on the sign, so we can be creative," Manore said.

It is completely bilingual and one of the most high-tech signs in Atlantic Canada. But Manore said it's been made to inform people, not to interfere with traffic.

"It's the cutting edge of technology when it comes to signs," she said.

I was going to take a picture of this sign myself and post it but since the T&T decided to print their own story, I decided to use theirs instead. The sign is actually quite massive, designed to be seen from the TCH. I don't think any photo can actually capture the scale of the thing.

MonctonRad
Jul 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
Some photos of the new residence building being built at Crandall University

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/D3204B00-orig.jpg
This building is being built next to the existing residence, behind the main campus building and across from the athletic field. It is being constructed in such a manner that a new wing can be added on in the future, along the left hand side of the building.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/1DCC5E67-orig.jpg
This photo shows both residence buildings, with the athletic field in the foreground.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/222B66A9-orig.jpg
This shows the new residence in the background left, the new academic building (built last year) in the foreground, and the main campus building in the background right.

There is still one more building to be built during the existing campus expansion. A new arena is also planned and will be built to the south of the two residence buildings. I suppose construction of this building might occur next year.

mmmatt
Jul 17, 2011, 2:08 AM
renders! renders! renders! renders!

I live very nearby (just on the other side of Vaughn Harvey) so I will keep an eye out!!

Other good news of my area...Derniers computers / Hell or High Water Tattoo on west main are FINALLY re-cladding their storefront...hopefully something better than pee-stain vinyl

NBNYer
Jul 17, 2011, 2:32 AM

I think I was wrong.......

I drove by there again this evening and they are definitely digging up the turf on the Dominion Street block. It looks very much like site preparation work!

I think the Robichaud condo project is a go! :tup: :banana::banana::banana:

Not to be a downer but, isn't it kinda unusual that they would get started on such a large project without any advertisement, announcement of any kind, website, sales centre, etc... I'd think they would want to test the waters and gage interest by making an announcement.... wouldn't they? :shrug:

If not, than... :banana::banana::banana::banana:

mylesmalley
Jul 18, 2011, 12:04 AM
Pretty hard to call, I think. Drove by a few minutes ago. There's definitely a lot of earth being moved around, but at the same time, they're doing a lot of road work/sewer line excavating nearby.

pierremoncton
Jul 18, 2011, 1:48 AM
I hadn't looked at the GMPDC minutes regarding the Dominion St buildings when it had been posted a couple of months ago, but I just did.

For some reason, the French section gives more details than the English for both 25 and 50 Dominion St:

(8) to allow façade segments exceeding 9 meters

(8) permettre une façade avec segments de plus de 9 mètres de largeur, pour
permettre un développement de condo de 46 logements/4 étages

Which translates into: "to allow the development of a 46-unit, 4-storey condo"

So unless that was added erroneously, it's just two short buildings. Nothing on the skyline; barely even visible from Vaughan Harvey.

MonctonRad
Jul 18, 2011, 2:08 AM

Disappointing but still much better than a vacant lot. Perhaps if his East Main Street project goes ahead it will be taller.

If these are to be four storey buildings (with underground parking), they will have to be much more than 9m tall; more likely 15m at least. They will be visible from Vaughan Harvey, but will not alter the skyline.

In any event, you can build increased density without going higher. In fact, I would argue that Assomption Place would have had more of an impact on downtown if two 10 storey buildings or three 7 storey buildings had been constructed rather than a single spindly 20 storey tower......

Lrdevlop
Jul 18, 2011, 11:56 AM
I got some airport news!

3 weeks ago, just before my flight to Montreal (then to Paris ;) ) I saw the airport Master Plan and I got good news! If I remember correctly, Air Canada is supposed to start using the Embraer 190 (93 seats) in 2012-2013 for the Moncton - Toronto route and the CRJ 705, Embraer 175 and 190 on the route Moncton - Montreal in 2014-2015. The route to Ottawa will be upgrated to a CRJ 705 (70 seats) in.....(sorry I don't remember the year but I think it's around 2015)

MonctonRad
Jul 18, 2011, 2:18 PM

Indeed very good news. I hope that service frequency does not suffer with the addition of larger equipment.

I'm sure that Air Canada is feeling the effects of competition from WestJet and Porter on the runs to Toronto (and also to Ottawa for Porter). I'm flying Porter to Toronto myself in September. It will be interesting flying to Billy Bishop Airport on Toronto Island. You can save $100 on taxi fare alone by avoiding Pearson.

The main advantages to using Air Canada are for connections (especially to the States), and service frequency. It would be counter-productive for Air Canada to decrease the number of flights per day to Moncton. I'm sure that would drive some passengers to the competition.

MonctonRad
Jul 18, 2011, 2:36 PM
Truncated from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/1424478

Magnetic Hill adds more attractions
Published Monday July 18th, 2011

Zoo, water park make improvements each year
BY LAURA BROWN
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

For 78 years Magnetic Hill has been baffling visitors with its illusion. But the Hill has become renowned for several other attractions since the mid-80's.

And they just keep adding. Now the Hill and all that comes with it has become the province's top tourism destination.

The Magnetic Hill Zoo started as a game farm in the 1950's, but it was in the late 80's that the "Friends of the Zoo" started to work on improving the zoo. They achieved their accreditation from the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA) in 1993.

Ever since, the zoo has been growing, to over 34 acres and showcasing over 600 animals of 90 species.

This season, the bear cub exhibit will be opening around Aug. 6, while updates to the river otter exhibit will hopefully be finished this week.

The zoo is also working on new washrooms, to be finished next season.

The zoo has won the CAZA Environmental Enrichment Awards four of the nine times it's been awarded. It was also rated fourth on Day Trips Canada list of the top ten zoos in Canada, beating the Edmonton Valley Zoo and Greater Vancouver Zoo.

Just across the parking lot sits another of the Hill's top attractions- Magic Mountain.

This water-loving fun park that opened in 1987 has just added two new exhilarating experiences to its park.

The first, called the Turbo Tunnel, is an 180 foot long water slide, that whirls your body in a figure eight. The slide is completely enclosed and dark, with tight quarters that allows for strong g-forces and an echoing scream or two.

The second slide is in a category of its own. The Torpedo is Canada's first sky-box drop capsule. Brave souls stand at the top of the slide on a trap door where they can look below through an acrylic window. The trap door suddenly opens, and there's a millisecond of weightlessness before you plummet down with the water.

There's only three locations in North America who have this type of slide.

That brings Magic Mountain's count to eight adult water slides and four child slides.

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 18, 2011, 10:00 PM

Disappointing but still much better than a vacant lot. Perhaps if his East Main Street project goes ahead it will be taller.

If these are to be four storey buildings (with underground parking), they will have to be much more than 9m tall; more likely 15m at least. They will be visible from Vaughan Harvey, but will not alter the skyline.

In any event, you can build increased density without going higher. In fact, I would argue that Assomption Place would have had more of an impact on downtown if two 10 storey buildings or three 7 storey buildings had been constructed rather than a single spindly 20 storey tower......

They assumed that they'd be the first tower in Moncton, and then the downtown would densify with similar buildings in the years afterwords, but this has not been the case, courtesy of urban sprawl. If I was was a land developer, which at one point I intend to be, I would have bought the land where the downtown Sobeys is, and built a 15 story tower on that corner, it would also have another 8 story building between it and the terminal buildings. The 2 square buildings (the new one and the current terminal building) would be for office, while the other current terminal build would be turned into a hotel. The new 15 story building would have 7 stories of office, and the top 7 stories would be condos. All buildings would have street level retail except the hotel, which would have a restaurant instead. I would call it Vaughn Harvey Plaza.

P Unit
Jul 18, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm flying Porter to Toronto myself in September. It will be interesting flying to Billy Bishop Airport on Toronto Island. You can save $100 on taxi fare alone by avoiding Pearson.

Pick seat "D" (right-side window). You don't have to select it in advance, they'll let you pick at check-in as long as you're early enough. Pray for decent weather. Enjoy the most spectacular airplane approach view you've ever seen, in any city, anywhere.

mmmatt
Jul 19, 2011, 12:31 AM
HOLY SMOKESSSSS!!! Just doing some random browsing and came across a newly updated Architecture 2000 website...it has tons of awesome renders...however its quite slow...Ill post a few of the better ones

Ill post the name and my best guess as to the status of the development based on what I know :)

U de M Science Building Phase II
source (http://www.architecture2000.ca/2010/07/universite-de-moncton-centre-formation-medicale-phase-2/)
Approved...ETA next summer??

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/cfm-phase-2/scene-6.jpg

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/cfm-phase-2/scene-5.jpg

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/cfm-phase-2/scene-2.jpg

Moncton Museum Expansion
source (http://www.architecture2000.ca/2010/05/moncton-museum-transportation-discovery-centre/)
Approved... ETA Unknown

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/museum/2522-museumbill-zhou.jpg

East Main st. Condo
source (http://www.architecture2000.ca/2009/08/main-street-condos/)
Proposed...Land has been purchased and cleared...Planning stage

Option 1
http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/main-street-condo/mainstreetcondo_2.jpg

Option 2 (My Favorite)
http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/main-street-condo/mainstreetcondo_1.jpg

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/themes/a2000/images/home_img.jpg

Moncton Convention Center
source (http://www.architecture2000.ca/2003/05/moncton-convention-centre/)
Dead...Site says "propesed by City of Moncton in 2003"...however some of the images have a "2007" time stamp on them...never saw these render though...so figured we could dream...

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/moncton-convention-centre-municiple/MonctonConventionCentre_6.jpg

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/moncton-convention-centre-municiple/MonctonConventionCentre_1.jpg

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/moncton-convention-centre-municiple/MonctonConventionCentre_5.jpg

mylesmalley
Jul 19, 2011, 12:36 AM
Fantastic find, Mat!!

Either of those condos would make a fantastic addition to the core. Although they both appear to be 12 stories - 4 more than everything we've heard mentioned up till now.

mylesmalley
Jul 19, 2011, 12:39 AM
...and isn't that science building already done? Like, 5 or 6 years ago?

MonctonRad
Jul 19, 2011, 1:08 AM
I agree, fantastic discovery mmmatt!! :tup:

The render for the East Main condo building is even better than I had hoped for. It would make a tremendous eastern gateway to the downtown area.

...and isn't that science building already done? Like, 5 or 6 years ago?

The original science incubator building was expanded modestly about 5-6 years ago as you have mentioned, but the entire wing on the right side of this render appears new. I did hear a few months ago that U de M was planning on a new expansion to this building.

MonctonRad
Jul 19, 2011, 1:22 PM
Mapleton Centre back on track
Published Tuesday July 19th, 2011
A2Times & Transcript Staff

The city has breathed new life into the Mapleton Retail Centre's plans, which should soon bring Best Buy, Petsmart, and Bed, Bath and Beyond, among others, as anchor stores of the shopping complex. If all goes accordingly with the city, the stores will open sometime in the next year. Other outlet stores will be added as consumer numbers rise. Ten buildings are to house dozens of stores, and an appropriate amount of parking spaces, have been designed in new plans.

Moncton city council approved an important rezoning application of the deserted lot beside Wheeler Boulevard and across from Costco last night.

Mapleton Holdings, the developer, needed to have the city approve the lot, which is designated as residential and two-unit dwellings, to a suburban commercial zone. There are a couple design options that were handed out to all the councillors, and a public presentation on the matter will be held Aug. 2.

A few of the councillors had concerns about the waterway, which is close to the lot, and is a part of the Hall's Creek area. Coun. Daniel Bourgeois asked whether the waterway was to be respected. The district planning director of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission, Bill Budd, assured Bourgeois that the waterway is a part of a conservation zone and the developers know it.

It's official!! - Best Buy is coming to Moncton!!

:banana::banana::banana:

:yes: :D :yes:

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 19, 2011, 2:54 PM
Thats awesome!! Now all thats left is Rona and IKEA.

michael_d40
Jul 19, 2011, 3:08 PM
Mapleton Centre back on track
Published Tuesday July 19th, 2011
A2Times & Transcript Staff

The city has breathed new life into the Mapleton Retail Centre's plans, which should soon bring Best Buy, Petsmart, and Bed, Bath and Beyond, among others, as anchor stores of the shopping complex. If all goes accordingly with the city, the stores will open sometime in the next year. Other outlet stores will be added as consumer numbers rise. Ten buildings are to house dozens of stores, and an appropriate amount of parking spaces, have been designed in new plans.

Moncton city council approved an important rezoning application of the deserted lot beside Wheeler Boulevard and across from Costco last night.

Mapleton Holdings, the developer, needed to have the city approve the lot, which is designated as residential and two-unit dwellings, to a suburban commercial zone. There are a couple design options that were handed out to all the councillors, and a public presentation on the matter will be held Aug. 2.

A few of the councillors had concerns about the waterway, which is close to the lot, and is a part of the Hall's Creek area. Coun. Daniel Bourgeois asked whether the waterway was to be respected. The district planning director of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission, Bill Budd, assured Bourgeois that the waterway is a part of a conservation zone and the developers know it.

It's official!! - Best Buy is coming to Moncton!!

:banana::banana::banana:

:yes: :D :yes:

I *SUPPOSE* I can make an exception and go to Moncton for this lol :tup: Beats needing to go to Halifax to use my Reward certificates lol

MonctonRad
Jul 19, 2011, 5:35 PM
Here is a link to the .pdf from the GMPDC website re: the rezoning request from Mapleton Holdings for the Mapleton Power Centre development.

http://www.gmpdc.ca/webcura/files/754.pdf

It would appear that they are simply requesting that the development encompass a little more land to the east of their current property. Since this is just vacant land on the north side of Wheeler with no neighbours, this would appear to be a rubber stamp issue (unless there are environmental objections).

I would say that this project is a go! (finally). :tup:

gehrhardt
Jul 19, 2011, 5:52 PM
I hope they put a Jack Astor's in that development. I think there were rumours about it when the Mapleton Power Centre was first being developed. I ate at the one in Bayer's Lake this past weekend and it was great. :tup:

Lrdevlop
Jul 19, 2011, 7:38 PM
WOW MATT! AWESOME FIND! :tup: This is in fact verry exciting! First, the Mapleton Center then renders for the east main condos! And those renders are wayyyyyy better that I ever thought (especially option 2).... Can't wait to see that built!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Steelcowboy
Jul 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
I thought the BRICK was suppose to be in the Mapleton Power Center...or was that just talk? Exciting news though :)

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
I see that the T&T issued a clarification in the paper today:

The paper stated that the announcement of any retailers for the Mapleton Centre is "unofficial". The developer of the site wanted to stress that the official announcements will only be issued by the retailers themselves.

At the same time, the T&T let slip the names of two more "unofficial" retailers that will be moving into the new power centre - Golf Town and Cleve's Source for Sports. :haha:

While I appreciate that the retailers want to make their own announcements, it is also true that Mapleton Holdings and Ashford would not be moving forward on this project without firm commitments. Both Best Buy and Bed, Bath & Beyond were supposed to be tenants before this development tanked as a result of the recession. In addition, Cleve's was also rumoured to be moving here from Wheeler Park as long as two years ago. As such, this is not new news (as least as far as followers of this forum are concerned). I think we can assume that these five retailers (at least) will be opening at the Mapleton Centre sometime in 2012. :tup:

@SteelCowboy - Yes, you are quite right. The Brick was also supposed to be in the mix as well. I don't know what is happening there...

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2011, 1:00 PM
Plans forming for Capitol Theatre lot
Published Wednesday July 20th, 2011

City is looking for developers, hoping to promote urban living
BY ALLISON TOOGOOD
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The new Community Peace Centre will one day be flanked by another modern building, taking the place of the current Capitol Theatre parking lot.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=695753&size=500x0
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
An aerial view shows the designated areas on either side of Robinson Court that the city wishes to be developed into a multi-use residential and commercial space. As part of the revitalization of the downtown core, the city wants to develop residential and commercial spaces together to promote urban living.

The proposed building, which could be six or seven stories high, will feature retail and commercial space on the lower and main floors, residential units on the remaining floors and must include a parking strategy to accommodate, at minimum, the 86 parking spaces that currently cover the lots.

Ben Champoux, the director of community business development for the city, revealed plans for this mixed-use development on the east and west sides of Robinson Court at Monday night's council meeting. The city is now looking at requests for qualifications from developers for the project.

Champoux said developers can submit more ideas and play with the design but the project must include the residential units, the business spaces and necessary parking.

"What's key here is the mixed-used project," he said. "It will compliment Robinson Court and connect Queen Street to Main Street."

By having more of these types of infrastructure, Moncton's downtown area might again become vibrant. That is the hope with the Community Peace Centre, which will employ thousands of Monctonians, and the same goes for the new proposed development.

"Greater Moncton has had a 6.5 per cent increase in population growth in the last five years yet the population living downtown has remained the same since 1996. We need to create more density now," Champoux said.

Having more people living downtown and being close to work will relieve the need for parking spaces.

"People will leave cars at home, at their downtown condo or townhouse, and by default, it's increasing people walking to work, leaving more spaces for those visiting the downtown."

He said that right now, 42 per cent of the downtown grid is for parking, which is way above similar cities, like Fredericton and Saint John, both of which have many underground lots and large garages.

In 2006, the downtown Moncton area had 8,750 parking spaces and an estimated 11,500 people working downtown, lending itself to a ratio of 0.76 parking spaces per employee. That's far above the average for larger municipalities, like Halifax, at 0.4 spaces and Sherbrooke, Que., at 0.3.

"The city is losing the most out of this," Champoux said. "It's not generating potential revenues until the spaces are transformed. We have oceans of surface parking, and it's so spread out, from Highfield Square to Chateau Moncton."

He said that surface parking is not efficient but Moncton is finally taking the steps to transfer to parking garages and underground spaces.

The only issue that councillors have with the development is how people will cope without parking during the actual construction.

"We'll tackle that when we get there," Champoux said. "Yes it may be painful, for some but we dealt with the same thing during the peace centre's construction. I'm not saying it was easy but we found solutions."

The city said that the project will also help the neighbouring Oak Lane become a popular area to stroll through, sit and chat with friends or admire artwork.

Personal note - We seem to be awash in good news stories in greater Moncton over the course of the last few weeks.......

I find this development particularly intriguing and exciting. As they have stated in the article, while the greater Moncton area has been growing like stink, the downtown area has been senescing. We need to build density downtown and eliminate the ocean of surface parking. This particular block has the potential to be the true heart and soul of downtown. It already contains the Capitol and Empress Theatres and will also boast the performance space that will be part of the Peace Centre. There are already several restaurants lining the pedestrian space of Robinson Court. There are suggestions that Oak Park could become an outdoor art space. If you fill in the parking lot at the back with this proposal of mixed residential and commercial buildings and connect this all with pedestrian walkways, you can only imagine how incredibly urban this could all feel!!

Let's hope that whatever developer comes on board adopts the city's vision of a building at least 6-7 stories tall. :)

pierremoncton
Jul 20, 2011, 1:15 PM
That is the hope with the Community Peace Centre, which will employ thousands of Monctonians, and the same goes for the new proposed development.

Thousands?

Regarding Robichaud's projects: Given that the Dominion St buildings are lesser than what was originally expected, and given that T&T articles say that he was working with a Halifax-based architect on that project (not with A2000), those renderings may be obsolete.

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2011, 1:24 PM
Thousands?

Yes, I saw that too. :haha:

Maybe a couple of hundred but certainly not thousands. I assume this was a typo.

Regarding Robichaud's projects: Given that the Dominion St buildings are lesser than what was originally expected, and given that T&T articles say that he was working with a Halifax-based architect on that project (not with A2000), those renderings may be obsolete.

Point well taken. He may be working with a Halifax architect on the Dominion Street project but this does not preclude a relationship with A2000 on the East Main project. Nevertheless, this is only an architectural rendering and many things could change before the shovels hit the ground.

mmmatt
Jul 20, 2011, 2:32 PM
Great news about that downtown block...I hope developers jump on it (excuse my sir mixalot reference)

Regarding the East Main Condo...even if he doesn't go with the A2000 renderings they at least show us he is looking at the idea of a tall modern condo structure...and that's enough for me to be extremely excited!!

emad
Jul 20, 2011, 5:36 PM
I see that the T&T issued a clarification in the paper today:

The paper stated that the announcement of any retailers for the Mapleton Centre is "unofficial". The developer of the site wanted to stress that the official announcements will only be issued by the retailers themselves.

At the same time, the T&T let slip the names of two more "unofficial" retailers that will be moving into the new power centre - Golf Town and Cleve's Source for Sports. :haha:

While I appreciate that the retailers want to make their own announcements, it is also true that Mapleton Holdings and Ashford would not be moving forward on this project without firm commitments. Both Best Buy and Bed, Bath & Beyond were supposed to be tenants before this development tanked as a result of the recession. In addition, Cleve's was also rumoured to be moving here from Wheeler Park as long as two years ago. As such, this is not new news (as least as far as followers of this forum are concerned). I think we can assume that these five retailers (at least) will be opening at the Mapleton Centre sometime in 2012. :tup:

@SteelCowboy - Yes, you are quite right. The Brick was also supposed to be in the mix as well. I don't know what is happening there...

I've been following the forum for a while and now decided to join in the discussion :tup:

On that document from riocan, you can see that the current site of Cleve's Source for Sports is replaced by Bouclair which support the above assumption about Cleve's moving to Mapleton Center and unoffically announce a Bouclair for the region :tup:

http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/61A.pdf

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2011, 7:40 PM
I've been following the forum for a while and now decided to join in the discussion :tup:

On that document from riocan, you can see that the current site of Cleve's Source for Sports is replaced by Bouclair which support the above assumption about Cleve's moving to Mapleton Center and unoffically announce a Bouclair for the region :tup:

http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/61A.pdf

Good find emad and welcome to the forums! :)

Yes, this is indeed good evidence that Cleves will soon be decamping for the Mapleton Centre. Hopefully Mapleton has at least a dozen tenants lined up (rather than the five we know of)

When the first iteration of this development collapsed during the recession, some of the prospective tenants chose to set up shop elsewhere rather than wait for Mapleton's rebirth. This included Swiss Chalet, Second Cup, Sony, La Vie en Rose and Glamour Secrets. Linen's & Things was supposed to move in too, but the whole chain went bankrupt. The Brick was also supposed to be a tenant. It will be interesting to see what stores will be in the new line-up.

BTW - It's interesting to note that the RioCan document states that the population within a 20 minute drive of Wheeler Park in 2006 was 202,465. They estimate that this population in 2012 will be 214,802. There are many non-Monctonians in the Maritime forum who are unable to believe that the population in the greater Moncton area is this concentrated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, the precast concrete walls of the new Elmwood Drive Lawton's were erected today. (You can tell that I'm on vacation and have nothing better to do with my time! :haha:)

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2011, 8:24 PM
Industrial Park News:

The industrial parks around greater Moncton are usually neglected on this forum (not sexy enough I guess), but there is some significant construction currently going on.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/67283BE5-orig.jpg
The lot for the Harrisville Business Centre on Harrisville Blvd in the Caledonia Industrial Park was recently cleared. This may be in a pre-construction phase.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/98213D42-orig.jpg
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/1CD3EAAD-orig.jpg
There is an absolutely massive warehouse/distribution centre under construction at the corner of Roderick and Frenette (Behind Bunzl) in the Caledonia Park. This place has to have a footprint of about 3-4 football fields and is at least the equivalent of three stories tall. To give you an idea of the scale of this building, the "tiny" openings on the side of the building in the second photo are your typical tractor trailer receiving bays! I don't know who this building belongs to.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/AAB47B50-orig.jpg
This is the new Action Truck Caps & Accessories headquarters on Berry Mills Road, which is the first new business to locate in the new Moncton Industrial Park West expansion. I am not pleased with this photo. I should have gotten closer. As is typical with industrial properties, photos frequently do not convey the actual size of the building. This is also a large property.

All photos by me and hosted on Photobucket

mylesmalley
Jul 20, 2011, 11:25 PM
I'm extremely curious who's building that behemoth on Frenette. I can't think of too many manufacturing processes that would require a ceiling that high over an entire large building - at least nothing that currently goes on on the East Coast. It pretty much has to be some kind of warehouse/distribution facility.

curious
Jul 21, 2011, 12:17 AM
Sad to say my favourite restaurant Red Satay will be closing their doors. Not because business is lacking but because of lack of support. I found this in the times and transcript.

http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast.com/transcript/article/1424676

For all of those people who never eaten there you do not know what you are missing! The restaurant offers great hospitality, kindness, enthusiasm, and most of all great food. This will be a great loss to the city.

curious
Jul 21, 2011, 12:30 AM
Ikea won't come :( i already contacted them to see. I told them all of NB, PEI and NS would come. But nope was the answer

Thats awesome!! Now all thats left is Rona and IKEA.

curious
Jul 21, 2011, 1:02 AM
When and where is this opening?

Ikea won't come :( i already contacted them to see. I told them all of NB, PEI and NS would come. But nope was the answer

Graffiti??

pierremoncton
Jul 21, 2011, 1:17 AM
TW - It's interesting to note that the RioCan document states that the population within a 20 minute drive of Wheeler Park in 2006 was 202,465. They estimate that this population in 2012 will be 214,802. There are many non-Monctonians in the Maritime forum who are unable to believe that the population in the greater Moncton area is this concentrated!

I don't believe it myself. According to Stats Canada, all of Moncton, Dieppe, Riverview and Moncton Parish combined only totaled 110,000 in 2006, and I'm sure there are parts of Dieppe and Riverview that are more than 20 minutes from Trinity. Salisbury, Memramcook, Shediac and Shediac Parish are all too far out and would only add about 17,000 anyway. I'm pretty sure that RioCan's lying to attract tenants.

MonctonRad
Jul 21, 2011, 1:44 AM
I don't believe it myself. According to Stats Canada, all of Moncton, Dieppe, Riverview and Moncton Parish combined only totaled 110,000 in 2006, and I'm sure there are parts of Dieppe and Riverview that are more than 20 minutes from Trinity. Salisbury, Memramcook, Shediac and Shediac Parish are all too far out and would only add about 17,000 anyway. I'm pretty sure that RioCan's lying to attract tenants.

It does seem to be a stretch, I must admit this myself.

The StatsCan 2010 CMA population estimate is a little over 137,000. I could perhaps see it in the 141-142,000 range by 2012. i do believe that they are including the whole CMA in their 20 minute radius. if you assume optimal traffic flow, you could get as far west as Salisbury (maybe Petitcodiac) and as far east as Shediac (maybe Barachois and Cocagne). This would perhaps add another 20,000.

So, a 20 minute radius to me means about 160,000 people.

A 30 minute radius would add in Sackville, Cap Pele and Bouctouche - maybe 180,000 people.

You would have to make the radius 35-40 minutes to get to 200,000 people. (either that or assume everyone drives at 135 km/hr :))

Still, why would RioCan stretch the truth? Wheeler Park is already fully leased and these facts could be checked independently....

This data is directly from StatsCan

Population of census metropolitan areas persons (thousands)
...........................2007 2008 2009 2010

St. John's (N.L.)..... 184.8 187.2 189.8 192.3
Halifax (N.S.)......... 388.2 392.8 397.7 403.2
Moncton (N.B.)...... 131.0 132.6 134.9 137.3
Saint John (N.B.).... 125.6 126.3 127.2 128.0

Also, we have had interminable arguements on the CFL thread about population size within certain radiuses of Halifax and Moncton. From that discussion, it was determined that there is nearly 290,000 people within one hour of Moncton.

http://i27.tinypic.com/24vpnwp.jpg

So, in summary:

Moncton CMA - 137,000
Within 20 minutes - 160,000
Within 30 minutes - 180,000
Within 40 minutes - 200,000
Within 60 minutes - 290,000

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 21, 2011, 3:27 AM
Maybe it's a typo and the 1st 2 is supposed to be a 1. 102,465 and 114,802 seem to be more reasonable.